Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the two leaders prepare for lunch Betfair punters give Trum

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    1h1 hour ago

Italy, EMG poll:

M5S-EFDD: 30% (-1)
    LEGA-ENF: 28% (+1)
    PD-S&D: 18%
    FI-EPP: 10%
    FdI-*: 4%
    LeU-S&D: 4% (+1)
    +E-ALDE: 2%
    Ncl-*: 1%
    PSI/Verdi/CP/SVP-S&D/G-EFA/*/EPP: 1%

Field work: 6/07/18 – 8/07/18
    Sample size: 1,526"
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    OchEye said:

"Dead Ringers" on Radio 4 at 6:30 pm. Should be fun!

Are they going to just play Trump recordings?
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    RoyalBlue said:

Walking home I see plenty of discarded anti-Trump signs. Then again, it’s no surprise that the puerile virtue-signalling fools currently blocking up central London wouldn’t think to take their rubbish home with them.

Well it takes one piece of crap on the side of the road to recognise another.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Has anyone read anything about this before today ?

' Police have fired plastic baton rounds during one of the worst nights of violence in Londonderry for years.

Seventy-four petrol bombs and two improvised explosive devices were thrown at officers on Thursday - the sixth consecutive night of violence. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44816025
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    1h1 hour ago

Italy, EMG poll:

That looks to be a very low number for FI.
  • Options
    "Naila-Jean Meyers
    @NailaJeanMeyers

You know, for a guy who doesn't want to only be known for playing a really long match at Wimbledon, John Isner sure is playing another really long match at Wimbledon.
    10:22 AM - 13 Jul 2018"
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

RoyalBlue said:

Walking home I see plenty of discarded anti-Trump signs. Then again, it’s no surprise that the puerile virtue-signalling fools currently blocking up central London wouldn’t think to take their rubbish home with them.

That doesn’t even make sense. Try harder next time.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    In 2010 the score in the final set was 70 games to 68 in Isner's first round match:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isner–Mahut_match_at_the_2010_Wimbledon_Championships
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A super special special special highest special special super highest level of super special....

BBC. Grow up!
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

That doesn’t even make sense. Try harder next time.
    I think even you got the gist darling
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

RoyalBlue said:

Some people are so upset by the protests that we’ve known are going to happen, the virtue signalling argument is a weird one as well. I doubt anyone who takes the day off work to go and protest Trump is simply doing it for show, and not because, you know they actually don’t like Trump.
  • Options
    In soft fruit world today's Tesco Strawberry score is a seven:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Fife
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent

More interestingly Tesco finally has some Scottish raspberries helping to give for I think the first time more sources of raspberries than strawberries:

Angus
    Perthshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Berkshire
    Kent
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    1h1 hour ago

Italy, EMG poll:

That looks to be a very low number for FI.
    FI to Lega swing in polls since the election has been pretty brutal.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    RoyalBlue said:

For shame. I explained upthread why I joined an anti-Trump demonstration yesterday. For you to glibly dismiss demonstrators as "virtue-signalling fools" shows an unwillingness to engage with the argument.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2018

I doubt anyone who takes the day off work to go and protest Trump is simply doing it for show, and not because, you know they actually don’t like Trump.

What's the difference, given how pointless a UK demonstration against a US President is? He's a jerk, and he's President of the USA, and tomorrow he'll still be a jerk, and he'll still be President of the USA, so what are they doing, if it's not for show, and/or to make themselves feel better?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

RoyalBlue said:

For shame. I explained upthread why I joined an anti-Trump demonstration yesterday. For you to glibly dismiss demonstrators as "virtue-signalling fools" shows an unwillingness to engage with the argument.
    Did you take your trash home or leave it as litter?

If you took it home then it doesn't sound like its you he's referring to.
  • Options

I doubt anyone who takes the day off work to go and protest Trump is simply doing it for show, and not because, you know they actually don’t like Trump.

What's the difference, given how pointless a UK demonstration against a US President is? He's a jerk, and he's President of the USA, and tomorrow he'll still be a jerk, and he'll still be President of the USA, so what are they doing, if it's not for show, and/or to make themselves feel better?
    I don't agree with the protestors but I can understand why people would protest against something they strongly disagree with. For example f Corbyn ever becomes PM I can see people on the right doing the same thing even if it doesn't make any difference.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    AndyJS said:

I don't agree with the protestors but I can understand why people would protest against something they strongly disagree with. For example f Corbyn ever becomes PM I can see people on the right doing the same thing even if it doesn't make any difference.

It makes more sense to demonstrate against your own government, although not much if it's not trying to influence some particular decision.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Actually having thrown that hand grenade, it is time to log off. As a one-time Constituency Party Chairman of the Conservatives, I look forward to discussing with Brexit fanatics how the Tory's have (hopefully temporarily) wrecked their reputation for business and the economy through their irrational hatred of the EU, and the lies and deceptions about sovereignty. Have a great weekend everyone!!

The answer to your question lies in Edition 35 of British Social Attitudes.

Over the course of 25 years, British public opinion has steadily become more eurosceptic. In 1992, 40% favoured eurosceptic positions (withdrawal or reducing the powers of EU institutions), and 38% favoured europhile positions (extra powers for EU institutions or a single EU government). Now the respective numbers are 69% and 14%. Back in 1992, being strongly pro-EU was mainstream; now it's on the fringe.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited July 2018

RoyalBlue said:

Some people are so upset by the protests that we’ve known are going to happen, the virtue signalling argument is a weird one as well. I doubt anyone who takes the day off work to go and protest Trump is simply doing it for show, and not because, you know they actually don’t like Trump.
    Um, surely that is the only possible reason for doing it. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with them going doing it, but that is what is happening - a lot of people are taking the time to visibly show that they dislike Trump rather than what most of us do, namely go online and say we don't like him.

It's not my idea of a good time, but each to their own, but equally I don't see that we can pretend these protests are anything other than people putting on a show. At best Trump is annoyed, so it really is just about the people protesting, which is fine if that's what they want.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited July 2018

RoyalBlue said:

I read your ‘explanation’. The first part was to say that British captains of industry etc should be discouraged from ‘consorting’ with Trump. Quite how it helps this country to freeze out the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, who has the future of NATO in his hands, I don’t know.

Your second argument was even thinner. The idea that swing voters in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan will pay any heed to some protestors in Oxfordshire is for the birds. In fact, the reaction here to Obama’s ‘back of the queue’ statement and the dismal failure of the Guardian’s letter-writing campaign for the 2004 Presidential election shows that such efforts are more likely to be counterproductive.

Protests against foreign leaders for some are like masturbation for others. It might give you pleasure and satisfaction, but let’s not imbue it with moral weight or pretend it will change the world.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Candidate for Congress asked for dirt on opponent from Russians:

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1017805935400706052

This may be passing UK people by but certain Congressional Republicans are, through hearings and information requests, trying to torpedo the Muller enquiry. Currently they are trying to blow the cover of an informant.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    edited July 2018

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Fife
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent

More interestingly Tesco finally has some Scottish raspberries helping to give for I think the first time more sources of raspberries than strawberries:

Angus
    Perthshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Berkshire
    Kent

Jonathan said:
    Buy Scottish raspberries. Just the best fruit in the world.

And that picture is just superb
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @Richard_Nabavi From what I’ve seen on my timeline, some are going out there and doing it because they are concerned that if Trump coming is just treated as normal visit, then that contributes to the normalisation of Trumpism.

@kle4 The virtue signalling accusation though implies a lack of sincerity in what someone is doing that you are simply ‘putting on a show’ of moral superiority as opposed to genuinely caring about said matter. I doubt the protestors are faking it, anyone who makes the effort to go out there today must genuinely be against Trump.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

This match has been going on for almost 5 hours. I wonder what the longest match is that Serena Williams has played in her entire career?

3 hours 26 mins back in 2010 I think.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

This match has been going on for almost 5 hours. I wonder what the longest match is that Serena Williams has played in her entire career?

3 hours 26 mins back in 2010 I think.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Fife
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent

Angus
    Perthshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Berkshire
    Kent

Jonathan said:
    Buy Scottish raspberries. Just the best fruit in the world.

And that picture is just superb
    My "autumn" fruiting canes have given their first Raspberry yesterday. Early July, ludicrous. Normally it's mid August.

Like all early autumn raspberries they are completely tasteless.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Has anyone read anything about this before today ?

' Police have fired plastic baton rounds during one of the worst nights of violence in Londonderry for years.

Seventy-four petrol bombs and two improvised explosive devices were thrown at officers on Thursday - the sixth consecutive night of violence. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44816025

Brexit innit
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

@Richard_Nabavi From what I’ve seen on my timeline, some are going out there and doing it because they are concerned that if Trump coming is just treated as normal visit, then that contributes to the normalisation of Trumpism.

@kle4 The virtue signalling accusation though implies a lack of sincerity in what someone is doing that you are simply ‘putting on a show’ of moral superiority as opposed to genuinely caring about said matter. I doubt the protestors are faking it, anyone who makes the effort to go out there today must genuinely be against Trump.

Oh, I don't personally think virtue signalling implies a lack of sincerity, necessarily, more just that the motivation is more about the individual signalling their virtue than what they are concerned about. Which is to say the emotion or thought conveyed may well be sincerely held, but the person is very conscious of how they are displaying it. It's a phrase I'm a fan of, like snowflake, because I think it can apply to left and right in the right circumstances.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    edited July 2018
    @Alistair, @DavidL
    I think the long summer daylight is what's behind the famous quality of Scottish raspberries. I'm currently further north than either Edinburgh or Dundee, and I can tell you that the raspberries here in Finland knock spots off any other. Even so I look forward to our own Scottish crop in August.

edit p.s. uusi lanka (new thread)
  • Options
    geoffw said:

@Alistair, @DavidL
    I think the long summer daylight is what's behind the famous quality of Scottish raspberries. I'm currently further north than either Edinburgh or Dundee, and I can tell you that the raspberries here in Finland knock spots off any other. Even so I look forward to our own Scottish crop in August.

As I understand it it is lack of light. In mid summer the Raspberries grow too quickly and so don't fully develop their sugars and flavour. Autumn Rasps stay on the cane for longer so get more sugars.

My best Raps from my plants are the October ones.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Alistair said:

geoffw said:

@Alistair, @DavidL

As I understand it it is lack of light. In mid summer the Raspberries grow too quickly and so don't fully develop their sugars and flavour. Autumn Rasps stay on the cane for longer so get more sugars.

My best Raps from my plants are the October ones.
    You cd be right. Indeed, the later the better.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

AndyJS said:

It makes more sense to demonstrate against your own government, although not much if it's not trying to influence some particular decision.
    "Our own government" - in fact the Conservative government headed by Mrs May, not mine at all - is on the point of selling us out to American big business and unscrupulous short-term fund-managers. My reading is that that is what people have been protesting about.
This discussion has been closed.