Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the two leaders prepare for lunch Betfair punters give Trum

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Anorak, ITV's still using the Met Office, right?

Mr. NorthWales, I concede that I have been out-anecdoted.

That does tend to happen. I don't think I've actually met a single famous person. But then, I do live in an isolated cavern on a remote island in the North Sea, eating raw seagulls and seaweed to keep myself from starvation, only emerging once a year to sate my hunger for flesh on the seven red-headed virgin girls sacrificed to me by the local village to appease my wrath.

So perhaps it's unsurprising.

[Obviously the above is just a jest. I spend most of my time calibrating trebuchets and conducting genetic research in the bowels of Castle Morris Dancer].
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    GIN1138 said:

Has Donald gone to meet HMQ yet? :D

Exactly now - live on Sky
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

I must say, amongst the weird things that some people voluntarily do in their spare time, such as trainspotting or watching dressage, going on an anti-Trump demonstration in London or (even odder) Belfast strikes me as one of the weirdest. What on earth is the purpose of it?

I went on the Blenheim Palace demonstration yesterday. (First demonstration I've ever been on.) For me, there were two reasons.

No-one was under any illusions that Trump would notice or even see us - not that he'd have given the slightest of sh*ts if he had done. He flew in by helicopter, he flew out by helicopter. That was well publicised.

But the demonstration was by the main gates, where all the various British dignitaries were being driven in - politicians, captains of industry, and so forth. It made clear to them that there is massive opposition here to Trump and we don't want them to consort with him or support his doings.

Second, I can't do anything about Trump. But people in America can. Demonstrating against Trump was a little way of reassuring them that most of the rest of the world stands with them against this repulsive creep. And if that even goes a tiny way to helping them get rid of him, it'll have been worthwhile.

Besides, it was a fun evening out and a lovely atmosphere, and I got a very enjoyable bike ride out of it.
    Well done. With you in spirit
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    edited July 2018
    Anorak said:

Good grief TSE, haven't you spotted that the BBC forecast is utterly shite since they stopped taking their weather services from the Met Office?!

20% chance of rain at Headingley on Tuesday according to the Met Office - I know which one I trust.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcwfhjjxu#?date=2018-07-17

Seconded. Met office forecasts almost always more accurate than the garbage put out by BBC.
    Indeed. The BBC's decision to spend money with some second-rate global corp to get third-rate information shows you everything that is wrong with the 'market is king' approach.

EDIT: Well, not "everything that is wrong" of course - there's plenty more :smile:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,825

GIN1138 said:

Has Donald gone to meet HMQ yet? :D

Exactly now - live on Sky
    Doesn't look like Philip fancied tagging along to meet POTUS and FLOTUS ;)
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, ITV's still using the Met Office, right?

Mr. NorthWales, I concede that I have been out-anecdoted.

That does tend to happen. I don't think I've actually met a single famous person. But then, I do live in an isolated cavern on a remote island in the North Sea, eating raw seagulls and seaweed to keep myself from starvation, only emerging once a year to sate my hunger for flesh on the seven red-headed virgin girls sacrificed to me by the local village to appease my wrath.

So perhaps it's unsurprising.

[Obviously the above is just a jest. I spend most of my time calibrating trebuchets and conducting genetic research in the bowels of Castle Morris Dancer].

Is that Holy Island
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    tpfkar said:

I must say, amongst the weird things that some people voluntarily do in their spare time, such as trainspotting or watching dressage, going on an anti-Trump demonstration in London or (even odder) Belfast strikes me as one of the weirdest. What on earth is the purpose of it?

I went on the Blenheim Palace demonstration yesterday. (First demonstration I've ever been on.) For me, there were two reasons.

No-one was under any illusions that Trump would notice or even see us - not that he'd have given the slightest of sh*ts if he had done. He flew in by helicopter, he flew out by helicopter. That was well publicised.

But the demonstration was by the main gates, where all the various British dignitaries were being driven in - politicians, captains of industry, and so forth. It made clear to them that there is massive opposition here to Trump and we don't want them to consort with him or support his doings.

Second, I can't do anything about Trump. But people in America can. Demonstrating against Trump was a little way of reassuring them that most of the rest of the world stands with them against this repulsive creep. And if that even goes a tiny way to helping them get rid of him, it'll have been worthwhile.

Besides, it was a fun evening out and a lovely atmosphere, and I got a very enjoyable bike ride out of it.
    Well done. With you in spirit
    +1. Good on all those who’ve turned up for protests against Trump yesterday and today.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Seeing as Trump's off to see Putin next he will do his nut if 12 Russians are indicted.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Demos are often puerile, extreme and self defeating.... very like voting Leave. They must be respected though, apparently, unless you don't agree with them of course!
  • Options
    Trump will be loving these pictures networked across the US
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Indeed. The BBC's decision to spend money with some second-rate global corp to get third-rate information shows you everying that is wrong with the 'market is king' approach.

Doesn't it rather show you what is wrong with fat, lazy organisations not subject to the market?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sheffield Hallam no longer has a Labour MP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-44816015
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Well, one hopes that a riot breaks out.

Riots are *great fun*.
  • Options
    Just how the Queen has the stamina for this is just amazing
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Manx missile firing blanks again.
  • Options
    Amazing how well HMQ walks for her age. Typically in your 90's your legs just "go"...
  • Options

Riots are *great fun*.
    Pah, I was a student in Paris years ago, they do PROPER riots there.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Amazing how well HMQ walks for her age. Typically in your 90's your legs just "go"...

Unlike Drunker....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Not to get all breathless and hyperbolic, but that's pretty damn close to an act of war.
  • Options

Riots are *great fun*.
    National summer sport in France.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    GIN1138 said:

Yeah, well she’s never done a day's work in her life, has she?
  • Options

Indeed. The BBC's decision to spend money with some second-rate global corp to get third-rate information shows you everying that is wrong with the 'market is king' approach.

Doesn't it rather show you what is wrong with fat, lazy organisations not subject to the market?
    No
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1017802450793828355
  • Options
    edited July 2018

GIN1138 said:

Come on be fair - and I have less mobility in my legs and I am 75
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Don't start... :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Hunting can be pretty hard work, you know. Chasing down a shell-suited chav on horseback before roasting him on an open fire really takes it out of one.
  • Options
    GRU too.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A Mr S Milne is wanted for questionning.
  • Options
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Not to get all breathless and hyperbolic, but that's pretty damn close to an act of war.
    It might be so if POTUS was not in the pocket of Vlad
  • Options
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Hunting can be pretty hard work, you know. Chasing down a shell-suited chav on horseback before roasting him on an open fire really takes it out of one.
    The horse is doing all the work in that endearing vignette.
  • Options
    :lol:

I was expecting a pic of a vial not a vile!
  • Options
    Guccifer 2.0 and DCLeaks are GRU.
  • Options
    glw said:

I am sure that means something to someone.
  • Options

Wot, like our political masters?
  • Options

Well done Ben - impressed
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731

This (Fox lead) not so much......

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/13/thousands-march-against-trump-in-rowdy-london-protests.html
  • Options
    I recently had a dream that I and Vladimir Putin were carrying a sofa through a shopping centre.

+ + + MESSAGE ENDS + + +
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    edited July 2018

GIN1138 said:

So we can expect Corbyn to be this energetic when he's 163?

(Number increased due to the fact he didn't even serve in the WRNS.)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    On Wednesday, 11 July, a small bottle was recovered during searches of Charlie Rowley’s house in Amesbury. It was taken to the Defence, Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) at Porton Down, Wiltshire, for tests.

Following those tests, scientists have now confirmed to us that the substance contained within the bottle is Novichok. Further scientific tests will be carried out to try and establish whether it is from the same batch that contaminated Sergei and Yulia Skripal in March – this remains a main line of enquiry for police.

Inquiries are under way to establish where the bottle came from and how it came to be in Charlie’s house.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/update-source-of-nerve-agent-contamination-identified-314322

(I really think the plod should refer to Ms Sturgess and Mr Rowley, not Dawn and Charlie.)
  • Options

glw said:

The actual hackers and leakers are Russian military intelligence personnel.
  • Options
    Don't worry, only another 8 hours to go with the Isner/Anderson match.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited July 2018
    Bottle of novichok found at Amesbury. No guarantee that is all of it.
  • Options

They're saying they know who Putin the poison.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gets better
  • Options
    The poisoner's name was Violet and she asked her husband if she should burn the excess poison. He said "No, Vi, chuck it".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

no point Russian to conclusions
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

What’s Jezza got to do with Brenda’s fitness through lack of lifelong toil?

I think you must be a little obsessed with our becapped LOTO.
  • Options
    Mr. Foreman, agreed. Besmershing Putin's good name is not on.
  • Options
    Imagine if Putin was from Lancashire.

"Sir, what poison should I use?"

"Try the Novvy, chuck."
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

The actual hackers and leakers are Russian military intelligence personnel.
    Thank-you!
  • Options

Mr. Foreman, agreed. Besmershing Putin's good name is not on.

On that note, a moment's appreciation for just what an excellent name SMERSH is.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

All a bit in-nerve-ing
  • Options

ydoethur said:

All a bit in-nerve-ing
    Un-nerv-ing even - damn my spellchecker
  • Options
    Mr. Cocque, Smersh does sound like it was invented just so Sean Connery could say it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,320
    AndyJS said:

Just watching the wheelchair game on BBC2. Had never seen it before it’s pretty amazing.
  • Options

Mr. Cocque, Smersh does sound like it was invented just so Sean Connery could say it.

That would be Shmersh, Mish Moneypenny.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Just watching the wheelchair game on BBC2. Had never seen it before it’s pretty amazing.
    Wait till the winner jumps the net. #tasteless
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731
    edited July 2018
    Candidate for Congress asked for dirt on opponent from Russians:

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1017805935400706052
  • Options
    OK, enough of the silly puns. Can someone of the ERG persuasion please tell me what advantage there is to being in a subservient, asymmetric trade relationship with the US over our existing relationship with Europe? Go on, please have a go, as a businessman I am all ears!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    They didn't notice the small glass bottle containing unknown liquid in the house of a victim of nerve poisoning until Wednesday then?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Riots are *great fun*.
    National summer sport in France.
    not to forget the new year "lets torch loads of cars" celebrations
  • Options

They didn't notice the small glass bottle containing unknown liquid in the house of a victim of nerve poisoning until Wednesday then?

I imagine they have rightly had to proceed with extreme caution - I can't see what would have been gained by rushing a search, it would have only introduced risks.
  • Options

OK, enough of the silly puns. Can someone of the ERG persuasion please tell me what advantage there is to being in a subservient, asymmetric trade relationship with the US over our existing relationship with Europe? Go on, please have a go, as a businessman I am all ears!

And answer came there none...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Cheaper food, specifically chicken and pork.

• Options
    Anorak said:

i'm sure the Don is cancelling the summit as we speak

• Options
    Rumours are that he had been out with Juenker

https://order-order.com/2018/07/13/salmond-shows-hes-thirst-minister/
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

I imagine they have rightly had to proceed with extreme caution - I can't see what would have been gained by rushing a search, it would have only introduced risks.
    Time will tell I'm sure
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    Actually having thrown that hand grenade, it is time to log off. As a one-time Constituency Party Chairman of the Conservatives, I look forward to discussing with Brexit fanatics how the Tory's have (hopefully temporarily) wrecked their reputation for business and the economy through their irrational hatred of the EU, and the lies and deceptions about sovereignty. Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • Options
    sorry, typo "Tories" for those grammarians out there
  • Options

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

What’s Jezza got to do with Brenda’s fitness through lack of lifelong toil?

I think you must be a little obsessed with our becapped LOTO.
    Don't be silly Bromptonaut.

I'm anything but a 'little' obsessed with him.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    rcs1000 said:

The ultimate free trade with the USA will be to become the 51st state.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    So instead of 'tired and emotional' we're going to have 'suffering from sciatica' and 'lost his smartphone' as euphemisms fit for the 21st century?
  • Options
    This match has been going on for almost 5 hours. I wonder what the longest match is that Serena Williams has played in her entire career?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

Trump is absolute box office . Tremendous entertainment.

Add in the joy he is bringing to those who get to show off in London for an afternoon and it's the event of the year.

I imagine you would vote for him, given the chance. You views seem to align nicely with his.
    +1. Pretty much.
    You would vote for Trump ;-)
    Nope. But I think who Anazina quoted would though.

Didn’t see the presser, but apparently he was bigging up Boris even then. I don’t see how anyone can claim that her and Trump have a ‘connection’ or that this is a triumph for May after the last 24 hours.
    I think you would come to a different conclusion if you had seen the press conference. Yes he spoke about Boris but effused about TM and really gave her a huge endorsement
    After having undermined her position in a newspaper interview. He also shouldn’t be bigging up rival of TM’s who has resigned this week in the presser. If May didn’t quite get it before the last 24 hours has established that Trump is utterly untrustworthy and someone you can’t reliably do business with.
    I think we all know that but the press conference was good for TM
    It has linked her permanently, in UK minds, with Tangerine 45. Not good!
  • Options
    Mr. JS, is that Anderson-Isner?

Wasn't Isner involved in the epic with Mahut?
  • Options
    "Tory MP apologises for tweet of Sadiq Khan image with pig balloon

London mayor calls for Conservatives to take action over Michael Fabricant tweet"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/13/tory-mp-apologises-for-tweet-of-sadiq-khan-image-with-pig-balloon
  • Options

Mr. JS, is that Anderson-Isner?

Wasn't Isner involved in the epic with Mahut?

Yes it's him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nothing in it for vegans then.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

Add in the joy he is bringing to those who get to show off in London for an afternoon and it's the event of the year.

I imagine you would vote for him, given the chance. You views seem to align nicely with his.
    +1. Pretty much.

Didn’t see the presser, but apparently he was bigging up Boris even then. I don’t see how anyone can claim that her and Trump have a ‘connection’ or that this is a triumph for May after the last 24 hours.
    I think you would come to a different conclusion if you had seen the press conference. Yes he spoke about Boris but effused about TM and really gave her a huge endorsement
    After having undermined her position in a newspaper interview. He also shouldn’t be bigging up rival of TM’s who has resigned this week in the presser. If May didn’t quite get it before the last 24 hours has established that Trump is utterly untrustworthy and someone you can’t reliably do business with.
    It will all be forgot once Trump meets Putin
  • Options
    Mr. JS, just had a look. Tasteless tweet from a serving MP.

Labour not on rock solid ground when it comes to porkers though:
    https://twitter.com/jenlipman/status/514360783355277312

• Options
    edited July 2018
    AndyJS said:

"Tory MP apologises for tweet of Sadiq Khan image with pig balloon

London mayor calls for Conservatives to take action over Michael Fabricant tweet"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/13/tory-mp-apologises-for-tweet-of-sadiq-khan-image-with-pig-balloon

That's as bad as the Labour poster depicting Howard and Letwin as pigs in 2005.

And sadly I expect it will end with the same amount of action taken, which was none.

If I lived five miles to the east it would be really tempting to give up my cherished political independence, join the Conservatives and vote to deselect the useless old fool. He doesn't even have the merit of being a good constituency MP.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

+1. Pretty much.

It's all been carefully oranged.

Have a good evening.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    "Dead Ringers" on Radio 4 at 6:30 pm. Should be fun!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nothing in it for vegans then.
    I think you overestimate the meat content of an American hot dog.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited July 2018
    OchEye said:

"Dead Ringers" on Radio 4 at 6:30 pm. Should be fun!

Referring to your comment at the end of the previous thread.

George Osborne promised to get rid of the government deficit not the government debt.

I'm no fan of his but he can't be blamed that government debt is over a trillion pounds.

And if you want to know where the extra £900bn of debt went it was primarily on imported consumer tat and foreign holidays.

Plus higher house prices.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited July 2018
    Walking home I see plenty of discarded anti-Trump signs. Then again, it’s no surprise that the puerile virtue-signalling fools currently blocking up central London wouldn’t think to take their rubbish home with them.
This discussion has been closed.