Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Michael Gove favourite to succeed Rudd as HomeS

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited April 2018
    GIN1138 said:

So Brexit is being betrayed/cancelled.

Brexiteers now have nothing to lose - They might as well move against Theresa May on Monday.

Get those letters in to Brady, roll the dice and lets see what happens.

If she wins the vote of confidence she is safe for at least a year, so I say bring it on.

If you're prepared to see the fall of the government and make Corbyn PM then you're not Tories, you're traitors.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927

GIN1138 said:

Brexiteers now have nothing to lose - They might as well move against Theresa May on Monday.

If she wins the vote of confidence she is safe for at least a year, so I say bring it on.

If you're prepared to see the fall of the government and make Corbyn PM then you're not Tories, you're traitors.
    They can get rid of Theresa without the government falling (FTPA etc)
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2018
    GIN1138 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-04-27/brexit-failure-looks-more-likely-every-day

Today, I will violate one of my favorite principles, and hereby make this prediction: No Brexit! In other words, the U.K. will not exit the European Union. By 2023, we will look back at the entire ridiculous affair as if it were a rediscovered lost episode of “Fawlty Towers.”

And I will never vote in another election again in my life...

Correction, I WILL vote for Jeremy Corbyn at the next avliable general election in order to take revenge on the establishment that betrayed my referendum vote.

Then I'll never vote in another general election again in my life.
    Brexit can only be halted by a second referendum. That is certain. In that case the British people will have betrayed the referendum vote.

I don’t think turning us into Venezuela will make you or I fell better. I totally understand your feelings though.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Anyhoo I've been repeatedly assured on PB that the referendum was nothing to do with immigration but about free trade.

No, no. It was about neither of those things, it was about sovereignty.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

GIN1138 said:

Enabling a Corbyn government, let alone actively supporting it, is traitorous?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

https://twitter.com/joewatts_/status/990301945620557824?s=21

“On Saturday cabinet minister David Davis, who has fought for a harder Brexit, was reported to be on the brink of resigning over the UK’s apparently softening position on EU withdrawal.”

Hurrah for free movement, told you the UK couldn't live without it.

So we're keep free movement and effectively remaining in the customs union, this is BINO, hurrah for Theresa May.
    Surely this is the case for Hammond as next leader, because Brexit seems to be converging on what the Chancellor predicted.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Corbyn hates this country. Making him its political leader would be treachery.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

But it doesn't change the numbers in the Commons, there's no majority for leaving the customs union.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

GIN1138 said:

Say's the Guy who has betrayed May since she landed the PM job and most of your fellow tories would back me up on this.

If she betrays my vote,time for PM corbyn.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Yup, just look at his behaviour over Salisbury.

If you can make that man Prime Minister then you do not have the best interests of the country at heart, ergo you're a traitor.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Anyhoo I've been repeatedly assured on PB that the referendum was nothing to do with immigration but about free trade.

That was silly. Of course the biggest reason for the win was to control the numbers coming from the E.U.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Say's the Guy who has betrayed May since she landed the PM job and most of your fellow tories would back me up on this.

I don’t blame people like TSE for not surrendering. I blame the idiotic Brexiteers in Parliament for giving us Leadsome as an alternative to May.

Again, Brexit will not be cancelled without a second referendum.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I've only had the best interests of the country and party at heart.

She's finally coming round to my thinking.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Brexit obsessives will PM Corbyn? Truly, Europhobia is a theology.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    nunuone said:

That was silly. Of course the biggest reason for the win was to control the numbers coming from the E.U.
    I think most people are more concerned about other types of immigration, but we will never be given a referendum on that. People reached for the lever presented to them.
  • Options
    I spent most of today trying to help lots of Tory candidates become councillors next week.

I'm calling it now. The Tories will make net gains in councillors outside of London.
  • Options

If true, which I do question, that could easily be Corbyn's office covering itself or just sacrificing Marc to please some of his MPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/27/labour-activist-marc-wadsworth-expelled-from-party-over-antisemitism-row

Seems to be true, if not with such strong language.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    edited April 2018

Indeed.

We're becoming a country where people's votes mean absolutely nothing if they vote the "wrong" way - So let's bring on Jeremy Corbyn and see how the elite gets out of that!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Brexit without an independent trade policy is just about bearable. If we have no meaningful end to freedom of movement for work (tourism is fine), then there really is no point.

Correct nothing is going to change on the immigration front sccording to that Independent article just some renaming and window dressing. Get rid of May! Now! C'mon what are the back benchers waiting for.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-04-27/brexit-failure-looks-more-likely-every-day

Today, I will violate one of my favorite principles, and hereby make this prediction: No Brexit! In other words, the U.K. will not exit the European Union. By 2023, we will look back at the entire ridiculous affair as if it were a rediscovered lost episode of “Fawlty Towers.”

The author is a sometime equities analyst and resident of Long Island according to Wiki? Now I’m just sure he’s in touch with the opinions of the average Leave voter in West Bromwich.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    Omnium said:

So it begs the question whether anyone that isn't a teacher actually thinks teachers do a good job, or have ever done a good job? Personally I think they do really great things in terms of corralling their herd, but little in terms of imparting wisdom - and the latter mainly because they have no wisdom to impart.

In my experience the educational standards are getting much lower.

I was very careful in my phrasing for this specific reason. There are many good teachers out there. Indeed the majority. But there is, as I said, a large number of teachers and education professionals who, for reasons of dogma, political belief or personal teaching philosophy do not serve our children well and oppose, in principle, meaningful reform of the education system. They refuse to accept there has been a decline in the standards of education and in educational attainment over the last few decades and will rush to say that such claims are 'undermining the students'.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

@oldpolitics

Let's escape the long quote.

How many people are actually in favour of Assad and then actively supportive of his killing of Palestinians specifically?

I realise it is a popular meme among the right but not wanting to engage in war in Syria is not the same as actually supporting Assad.

Any more than wanting to bomb Assad is equivalent to supporting some of his Islamic fundamentalist opponents.

Anyone who doesn't just want Assad to win for what they see as practical reasons but because they actually enjoy his slaughtering of people and Palestinians but complain bitterly when the Israeli's kill Palestinians could well be anti semitic. They at least would be very unfair on Israel compared to Syria.

Although I do always wonder if you turn these things around, how fair is it to criticise the Palestinians locked up and starved in their walled up ghettos because of their extremism and then actively support bombing Assad when some of his strongest opponents who could capitalise are extremists themselves?

Foreign affairs is a largely grey area.

As to the extra attention to the Israel-Palestine situation it is another one where you can turn it around. Would so many people go out of their way to defend and justify the actions of Israel if the people they inflicting suffering on were not just Arabs, Would there be such little international outcry and so much support from the worlds biggest powers if another country was stealing the land of its neighbour and forcing its population to live in poverty?

Would there if it wasn't for the fact the Palestinians are Arabs who are largely Muslims.

Ahem - Remind us when Stop the War are holding their demo against Russian involvement in Syria,?
  • Options
    edited April 2018

and Europhilia isn't?
  • Options

I spent most of today trying to help lots of Tory candidates become councillors next week.

I'm calling it now. The Tories will make net gains in councillors outside of London.

Thank you TSE.

Genuine question for you; will the Tory coalition be big enough if Brexit is cancelled to win another general election? I just don’t see grateful Remainers outnumbering bitter Leavers.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    nunuone said:

RoyalBlue said:

Brexit without an independent trade policy is just about bearable. If we have no meaningful end to freedom of movement for work (tourism is fine), then there really is no point.

Correct nothing is going to change on the immigration front sccording to that Independent article just some renaming and window dressing. Get rid of May! Now! C'mon what are the back benchers waiting for.
    You won. Get over it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Yup, just look at his behaviour over Salisbury.

If you can make that man Prime Minister then you do not have the best interests of the country at heart, ergo you're a traitor.
    I certainly don't support him, I just think its problematic if you consider 40% of the country who do support him to be traitors (and yes, the samelogic applies to accusations of treachery toward the 48% remainers, which is totally unreasonable).
  • Options
    nunuone said:

and Europhilia isn't?
    Nope.

If delivering Brexit would guarantee that Corbyn would never be PM I'd be backing Brexit.

But as we've seen here Leavers would rather see Corbyn become PM than change their minds over Brexit.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not for me,I live in a shithole and a PM corbyn will bring the better area's of the country to my level.

If May betrays my vote then PM corbyn it is,like many leavers will do.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The author is a sometime equities analyst and resident of Long Island according to Wiki? Now I’m just sure he’s in touch with the opinions of the average Leave voter in West Bromwich.
    Doubt he is in touch with the average Wisconsin voter let alone the average LEAVE voter.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145

Any particular details ?
  • Options
    @GIN1138 and @Tykejohnno - please answer my question!

Brexit will only be cancelled if the British people vote for it to be so. Is this a betrayal, and if so, how can the British people betray themselves?
  • Options
    nunuone said:

and Europhilia isn't?
    There are some strange Europhiles.

I have yet to encounter a pragmatic Europhobe.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

Correction, I WILL vote for Jeremy Corbyn at the next avliable general election in order to take revenge on the establishment that betrayed my referendum vote.

Brexit can only be halted by a second referendum. That is certain.
    It can be halted without one, parliament is sovereign and all that, though I find it hard to believe any government would do so without one.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Thank you TSE.

Genuine question for you; will the Tory coalition be big enough if Brexit is cancelled to win another general election? I just don’t see grateful Remainers outnumbering bitter Leavers.
    Depends how Brexit is watered down.

The most telling observation given to me today.

If a week of bad weather can bring the economy to a standstill then we're buggered when Brexit happens.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you TSE.

If a week of bad weather can bring the economy to a standstill then we're buggered when Brexit happens.
    I’m not talking about watering down - that’s definitely survivable.

I’m talking about cancellation following a second referendum. What then?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

A lot of people out there tried to commit treachery in 2017, and will next time too then.
  • Options

Any particular details ?
    Allowing for the anger over the trees it was interesting to see how many people mentioned Corbyn and Salisbury at some point, mostly in a negative way.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

It can be halted without one, parliament is sovereign and all that, though I find it hard to believe any government would do so without one.
    Saying that Parliament can cancel Brexit in its own is like saying the Queen can veto an act of Parliament. It is simultaneously true and meaningless!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

@GIN1138 and @Tykejohnno - please answer my question!

Brexit will only be cancelled if the British people vote for it to be so. Is this a betrayal, and if so, how can the British people betray themselves?

It's looking like brexit in name only.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2018

Mr. Meeks, indeed, though I have one for ID purposes, and others do likewise.

Me too, although I do consider travel as a tourist bad for the mind. As well, although I consider cars, as we use them, the work of the devil(*), I do keep a driver's licence for the same purpose.

(*) But let me add that I don't mind drivers with fast reflexes racing at unfeasible speeds round in circles off the Queen's highway.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you TSE.

I suspect the Tory coalition will hold for as long as Corbyn is Labour leader.

It will also need someone like Gove, Davis, or Fox to recant over Brexit.
  • Options
    Leavers might wish to reflect on the fact that they have never prioritised. Their intense hatred of all matters European has meant that they have never decided on which bits they were most keen to disavow. By making everything a red line, nothing got taken as immutable.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

But it doesn't change the numbers in the Commons, there's no majority for leaving the customs union.
    But there doesn’t need to be. Parliament will get a vote on whether we accept the negotiated deal or leave without a deal. What’s upsetting a lot of Parliamentarians is that the negotiations themselves are solely the preserve of the Executive.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,175
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you TSE.

Hypothetically, if the Tories proposed joining the Euro (because if we're in the EU to stay, why not?), it would outflank Labour and expose the splits between Corbyn and the centrists.
  • Options

Leavers might wish to reflect on the fact that they have never prioritised. Their intense hatred of all matters European has meant that they have never decided on which bits they were most keen to disavow. By making everything a red line, nothing got taken as immutable.

It looks like Brexit is best understood as a failed peaceful revolution, with the very sad exception of Jo Cox MP.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

Saying that Parliament can cancel Brexit in its own is like saying the Queen can veto an act of Parliament. It is similarly true and meaningless!
    The situations are not directly comparable in the slightest. The Queen can theoretically veto acts but never exercises that power, and nor have her successors in over a hundred years, whereas parliament can and does exercise power all the time. Indeed, various notables hoped they would choose not to initiate A50, and some did vote against that. They could have done so. It is not meaningless to point out something that is true, even if it is unlikely.

Edit: Shortened for brevity
  • Options

Am I the only person who, when reading fishpeople, imagines the “Sea Devils” of Pertwee-era Who?

I’d paste a pic but don’t know how.

I think, first, of the Atlantean Fish People from the Troughton era Doctor Who...

http://doctorwho.org.nz/archive/timeandspace/g/1969-11-28.jpg

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

It looks like Brexit is best understood as a failed peaceful revolution, with the very sad exception of Jo Cox MP.
    If it fails, it will be because of the staggering incompetence of its leaders. Its followers, who have egged them on at every stage, must take their share of the blame.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,871
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

But there doesn’t need to be. Parliament will get a vote on whether we accept the negotiated deal or leave without a deal. What’s upsetting a lot of Parliamentarians is that the negotiations themselves are solely the preserve of the Executive.
    That's taking back control is it?
  • Options

nunuone said:

“On Saturday cabinet minister David Davis, who has fought for a harder Brexit, was reported to be on the brink of resigning over the UK’s apparently softening position on EU withdrawal.”

I hope HYUFD doesn’t need medical attention after reading that.
    "They would then be able to gain the right to work in the UK under a new status that would be distinct for people arriving from the EU."

Sorry that is unacceptable....it would be brexit betrayed.
    Gove and Boris betrayed Brexit when they voted against giving the NHS an extra £350 million per week.

Gove betrayed the fishpeople over the CFP.

The Brexit that was promised is undeliverable.

Suck it up.
    Ah TSE has been on the sauce again.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    edited April 2018

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The taking back of control happens the day we leave the EU.

The Remainers in Parliament are trying to find a way that they can overrule the will of the People. Traditionally this doesn’t end well for the elites who attempt to undermine democracy.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

No not all of it.

Sure - forgetting the specifics of Wadsworth for now, the issue is general - it's fine to care about some things more than others, but if you are neither Jewish, not Israeli, nor Palestinian (or I guess at a push Jordanian, Syrian, etc) then caring monomaniacally about the real or imagined sins of the world's only Jewish country, while defending other vicious dictatorships is something that needs explanation.

If people can't offer an explanation for, say, why they are demonstrating against Israel killing a dozen Palestinians in self defence, but in favour of Assad when he carpet bombs a Palestinian community in Syria, Occam's razor comes into play when working out what their specific problem with the world's only Jewish country is.

An analogy: If I attacked Wadsworth and Walker and, oh, let's say Lee Jasper, but defended Livingstone, Williamson, and, say, Pam Bromley, I can completely understand why people would question my motives.

Who are these people who you see demonstrating against Israel but for Assad? I've never come across an Assad supporter on any part of the spectrum, though there are people of all persuasions who scratch their heads and say well, maybe he's the least evil realistic option. Much the same is true of Putin - almost the only people outside Russia who positively like him are on the far right, in Eastern Europe.

There is some residual left-wing cold war stuff around - people being anti-Israel because they're supported by America: they disapprove of Saudi Arabia and Ukraine in the same way. Others like me have just become more isolationist - we don't much like any of them and are disinclined to join in their wars, without liking their opponents either.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Like Brexit, it depends what you mean I imagine. One must have had control at some stage to take it 'back', so if something was always an executive authority it would not be taking it back for the legislature to attempt to control it, it would be achieving a new rebalancing of authority. Which may or may not be reasonable depending on the issue, as was discussed recently with the taking military action in Syria situation.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you TSE.

Bill cash and JRM section of the party must be furious reading on the EU in the last few days

How many MP letters does Brady need again ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

Saying that Parliament can cancel Brexit in its own is like saying the Queen can veto an act of Parliament. It is similarly true and meaningless!
    The situations are not directly comparable in the slightest. The Queen can theoretically veto acts but never exercises that power, and nor have her successors in over a hundred years, whereas parliament can and does exercise power all the time. Indeed, various notables hoped they would choose not to initiate A50, and some did vote against that. They could have done so.

The Queen potentially vetoing acts is a legal fiction at this point, since if the monarch ever chose to do so in this day and age they would not remain monarch for long. It is not meaningless that the only thing stopping parliament from halting things if it wanted is political practicality.

I'll give you a potential scenario right here - if a remain supporting party or coalition of parties won a GE on a promise to halt Brexit, would they hold a referendum about it? Possibly, but possibly not, depending on how much support they go, what exactly they promised etc. I don't regard any of that as likely, certainly not as likely as another referendum, but if we're discussing unlikely options, then all options which are legal are viable.

Regardless, just because something is, in practical terms, very difficult, does not mean it does not exist as an option, and therefore other options the only choice. Our politicians are simply unlikely to pay the price that might arise from doing so.
    There isn’t going to be an election until 2022, so I don’t think your scenario applies.

I don’t think MPs are collectively insane enough to cancel Brexit on their own initiative.
  • Options

nunuone said:

I hope HYUFD doesn’t need medical attention after reading that.
    "They would then be able to gain the right to work in the UK under a new status that would be distinct for people arriving from the EU."

Sorry that is unacceptable....it would be brexit betrayed.
    Gove and Boris betrayed Brexit when they voted against giving the NHS an extra £350 million per week.

Gove betrayed the fishpeople over the CFP.

The Brexit that was promised is undeliverable.

Suck it up.
    Ah TSE has been on the sauce again.
    I'm a good Muslim boy I'll have you know.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Not possible anymore I am afraid. Sovereignty doesn’t work like that. It’s a currency.
    The fiver that went down the back of a sofa in 1973 isn’t worth that when you retrieve it today.

Brexit does not return sovereignty. Brexit does not return control of borders or immigration. Globalisation has devoured that sovereignty. It’s not coming back.

How do you stop companies employing whoever they want from wherever they want? You can’t anymore. You need the enterprise here, you need the start up, the jobs, the taxes. Or Britain PLC goes bankrupt. There’s the dotted line to Customs Union. You sign it. The idea there was choice not to was just fantasy.

Impose X on companies to control immigration?
    “Ha. Fine, thanks to internet, containerisation and global finance we can easily relocate or start up outside your X zone and you lose all kinds of advantages of having our business here”.

We are all waking up now. Brexit is over.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you TSE.

Bill cash and JRM section of the party must be furious reading on the EU in the last few days

How many MP letters does Brady need again ?
    48 letters.

I'm sure the Remain wing of the party will be busy withdrawing their letters as we speak.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

RoyalBlue said:

If it fails, it will be because of the staggering incompetence of its leaders. Its followers, who have egged them on at every stage, must take their share of the blame.
    Brexit was an existential test for the EU, and the EU passed the test. Brexit failed because nobody else followed the UK.

• Options

RoyalBlue said:

It is not so much incompetence as a lack of ruthlessness.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

The situations are not

Regardless, just because something is, in practical terms, very difficult, does not mean it does not exist as an option, and therefore other options the only choice. Our politicians are simply unlikely to pay the price that might arise from doing so.
    There isn’t going to be an election until 2022, so I don’t think your scenario applies.

I don’t think MPs are collectively insane enough to cancel Brexit on their own initiative.
    Nor do I, but as I put it in my shortened version, I don't personally consider it meaningless to be precise in what is possible, or not, even if it is very unlikely. It is a lot more plausible that they won't cancel it without a referendum vote, but it is not certain - who can say how crazy things might get, since to offer one on remaining after all would surely require that the government fall first, and then that Labour switch to remain as well, both of which are possible, but perhaps not likely (if more likely than some would like).

Edit: A revelation I have had recently is that I share with Jeremy Corbyn of all people, an over emphasis on process.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

I agree with you. MPs won't cancel it on their own, and there's no way Corbyn can use the withdrawal bill to engineer a general election. The only option will be a second referendum, but the prerequisite is that enough Conservative Leave MPs need to lose faith with Brexit.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Told you trying to make Corbyn PM makes you a traitor.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/990334317602762752
  • Options
    Well, that's Rudd out of the news for a day at least.

A lot of Tories hoping to go back to March I should think, April has been a cavalcade of scandal and incompetence.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

I believe the Leave line on such matters is: suck it up, loser.

But it is incompetence. Because Leavers have never decided what really mattered, they’ve never been clear about what they want to achieve. So they are clueless about whether to fight for immigration control, striking new trade deals or money.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

RoyalBlue said:

Brexit was an existential test for the EU, and the EU passed the test. Brexit failed because nobody else followed the UK.

Bit early to say?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

The idea other countries would immediately follow was always bunkum. While it has been even more fraught than I would have hoped, it was always going to involve pain and cost to some degree, and in the short term the inevitable chaos would surely dampen outright leave sentiment in other places. The question was if the pain would be worth it for us (it's not looking great, to be fair), and therefore, for the EU, if longer term we were doing well and the EU did not address its problems, which would mean others might be tempted.

So I think to say the test has passed for the EU is a bit strong - the thing about organisations is the need for continual justification, and the test for them will never end. I would hope you would agree they don't want to continue existing simply because it will be increasingly hard to leave, they want to continue existing because their purpose and outcomes are good for those involved. Most would still agree with that, and there does not appear to be a glut of others at a tipping point on it, but if they are smart they won't stop working to keep justifying themselves.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    So the Russians backed Leave and Corbyn because they knew both were damaging for the UK.

If you back Leave and/or Corbyn then you're a traitor or a useful idiot.

Repent now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A lot of Tories hoping to go back to March I should think, April has been a cavalcade of scandal and incompetence.
    local elections round the corner,Yep - May is useless.
  • Options

Bit early to say?

Two years after the Berlin Wall fell, was it too early to say whether it was the end of an era?
  • Options

Told you trying to make Corbyn PM makes you a traitor.

hps://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/990334317602762752

Interesting detail that it specifies many of the bots masqueraded under 'female english names'.

But no way to measure how much any such effort actually effects things?
  • Options
    Peers are preparing a fresh attempt to block Britain’s departure from the European Union in the House of Lords tomorrow, it has been claimed.

Lord Callanan, a Brexit minister, said a Labour amendment due to be debated tomorrow would remove the Government’s power to negotiate with Brussels, handing it instead to Parliament.

Labour said the amendment would ensure a “meaningful role for Parliament” in the approval of a deal with the EU, adding to an amendment already forced on the Government by pro-Remain Tory rebels in the Commons.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/28/peers-decide-no-brexit-amendment/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1524948416
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

The situations are not

Nor do I, but as I put it in my shortened version, I don't personally consider it meaningless to be precise in what is possible, or not, even if it is very unlikely. It is a lot more plausible that they won't cancel it without a referendum vote, but it is not certain - who can say how crazy things might get, since to offer one on remaining after all would surely require that the government fall first, and then that Labour switch to remain as well, both of which are possible, but perhaps not likely (if more likely than some would like).

Edit: A revelation I have had recently is that I share with Jeremy Corbyn of all people, an over emphasis on process.
    Please don’t change :smile:
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not for me,I live in a shithole and a PM corbyn will bring the better area's of the country to my level.

D'you know , I'm inclined to agree? We rolled the dice in the Referendum, the only chance they let us have; and if the Establishment renege, then roll the dice again & see what near-communism has to offer in this day & age.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not according to TSE. He's calling it for net Tory gains outside London.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not according to TSE. He's calling it for net Tory gains outside London.
    If the Tories make gains it'll be down to the hard working candidates and the fact that Corbyn is scaring voters, not Mrs May.
  • Options

Bit early to say?

Two years after the Berlin Wall fell, was it too early to say whether it was the end of an era?
    Pathetic comparison.
  • Options

Peers are preparing a fresh attempt to block Britain’s departure from the European Union in the House of Lords tomorrow, it has been claimed.

Lord Callanan, a Brexit minister, said a Labour amendment due to be debated tomorrow would remove the Government’s power to negotiate with Brussels, handing it instead to Parliament.

Labour said the amendment would ensure a “meaningful role for Parliament” in the approval of a deal with the EU, adding to an amendment already forced on the Government by pro-Remain Tory rebels in the Commons.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/28/peers-decide-no-brexit-amendment/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1524948416

If it is a Labour amendment, and Labour are currently still officially in favour of Brexiting (aren't they?) then how can their amendment be about blocking the departure? Or is the latter merely a claim about the impact of the amendment, and not the official purpose?

Is the whole of parliament really set up to negotiate in such a way? Not that the Cabinet have done a good job of coming up with a single stratagem, but how do 650 people do so?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I would hope you would agree they don't want to continue existing simply because it will be increasingly hard to leave, they want to continue existing because their purpose and outcomes are good for those involved. Most would still agree with that, and there does not appear to be a glut of others at a tipping point on it, but if they are smart they won't stop working to keep justifying themselves.

Yes, I do agree with that and I hope that a reversal of Brexit wouldn't lead to complacency within the EU. If another country ever decides to leave in the future, they will have a blueprint of how not to do it, and may be much more ruthless.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

But it is incompetence. Because Leavers have never decided what really mattered, they’ve never been clear about what they want to achieve. So they are clueless about whether to fight for immigration control, striking new trade deals or money.
    I try and engage, and get this. You really are a spiteful, bitter, bile-filled piece of work.

We could have had control of everything, if only the institutions had been suitably reformed/decapitated. Many Leavers were naive about that.
  • Options

Bit early to say?

Pathetic comparison.
    Speak to Michael Gove about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/19/brexit-could-spark-democratic-liberation-of-continent-says-gove

A British exit from the European Union could spark “the democratic liberation of a whole continent”, as other member countries follow Britain’s example and throw off the shackles of Brussels, the justice secretary, Michael Gove, has argued.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

D'you know , I'm inclined to agree? We rolled the dice in the Referendum, the only chance they let us have; and if the Establishment renege, then roll the dice again & see what near-communism has to offer in this day & age.

Good evening, everybody.
    might as well roll the dice I guess.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I would hope you would agree they don't want to continue existing simply because it will be increasingly hard to leave, they want to continue existing because their purpose and outcomes are good for those involved. Most would still agree with that, and there does not appear to be a glut of others at a tipping point on it, but if they are smart they won't stop working to keep justifying themselves.

Yes, I do agree with that and I hope that a reversal of Brexit wouldn't lead to complacency within the EU. If another country ever decides to leave in the future, they will have a blueprint of how not to do it, and may be much more ruthless.
    DD is right. No other country will follow us.

I would expect you of all people to remember that statement!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If it is a Labour amendment, and Labour are currently still officially in favour of Brexiting (aren't they?) then how can their amendment be about blocking the departure? Or is the latter merely a claim about the impact of the amendment, and not the official purpose?

Is the whole of parliament really set up to negotiate in such a way? Not that the Cabinet have done a good job of coming up with a single stratagem, but how do 650 people do so?
    Parliament/The Lords will form a Committee of Safety.

Who is today's Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone?
  • Options

Bit early to say?

No and Yes. No, because no doubt it felt like a brand new era, but Yes, because eras really need more time to be judged.

After all, this period after the Brexit vote probably feels like a new era to some, but if you are right and we don't end up leaving after all, then the era will have remained the same. Mubarak stepping down in Egypt probably felt like the end of an era for awhile, but things seem pretty much back as they were there, from an outside perspective, just with a different strongman.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

I try and engage, and get this. You really are a spiteful, bitter, bile-filled piece of work.

We could have had control of everything, if only the institutions had been suitably reformed/decapitated. Many Leavers were naive about that.
    He's a wind-up merchant,why bother with him.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If Leavers had spent less time exulting in a victory won through xenophobic lies and carrying out loyalty tests, and instead spent more time working on winning the peace, they would be far better placed now.

I have throughout sought to draw attention to the action points. But for some reason my advice has been spurned.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

He's a wind-up merchant,why bother with him.
    You are quite right. I forget this from time to time.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    Leavers really can’t grizzle when they’ve been in charge of the key ministries.

In my view, a least worst Brexit is still achievable, but Leavers are going to have to do some thinking instead of:

- promoting Leadsom for PM
    - threatening war with Spain
    - suggesting Brexit will be done in an afternoon
    - promising a Brexit surplus for the NHS
    - propagating Minford economics (aka close down the North)
    - accusing the judiciary of being saboteurs
    - assuming Italian prosecco growers will come to our rescue
    - ignoring the Irish border

Etc etc

Two years on we know Brexitism to be ideologically bankrupt, so I’m not holding my breath.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    kle4 said:

If true, which I do question, that could easily be Corbyn's office covering itself or just sacrificing Marc to please some of his MPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/27/labour-activist-marc-wadsworth-expelled-from-party-over-antisemitism-row

Seems to be true, if not with such strong language.
    The things said by both are not contradictory.

Wadsworth said he and the Labour leader were “old friends and comrades” for many years. “When they called me on the first day of the hearing, they said to me that they had been working behind the scenes, that what I said wasn’t antisemitic,” he told a press conference.

Labour sources were adamant that the call had not been to offer support, but confirmed that a staff member had spoken to Wadsworth to contain any possible disruption of the hearing. The source claimed that during the call, Wadsworth expressed unhappiness at a lack of support from Corbyn.

“No member of staff called to offer Marc Wadsworth support,” a party source said. “Wadsworth did not claim support from Jeremy during his NCC hearing.”

Wadsworth never said the call was to offer support, he said that they said in the call they had been working behind the scenes and that what he said wasn't anti semitic.

The thing they are working on behind the scenes isn't clear but could be making it clear that Wadsworth isn't anti semitic.

Unless we assume working behind the scenes means the call was to offer support, although again support isn't made clear, support to beat the hearing? or support against the idea of him being an anti semite?

People wanting to take an angle on it can say Ha Corbyn called him a liar but I suspect his office was pressed into action by some of the MPs and pointed out that it never called Wadsworth to offer support, which could be true depending on how you define various things and what they are denying they supported him on.

• Options

kle4 said:

Who is today's Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone?
    Didn't we need a Committee of Safety precisely because we didn't have executive Cabinet government at the time, so there was no alternative but a parliamentary committee? What is Cabinet but a parliamentary committee after all? :)

As for Mr Barebone, he was a tradesman, religious and was picked by the army, so we're looking for a working man/woman, a believer (or possibly a BeLeaver), with army ties for preference. Any candidates?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If Leavers had spent less time exulting in a victory won through xenophobic lies and carrying out loyalty tests, and instead spent more time working on winning the peace, they would be far better placed now.

I have throughout sought to draw attention to the action points. But for some reason my advice has been spurned.
    If Remainers had spent more time winning the argument than sneering at the voters, and then carping from the sidelines they'd be far better placed now. You tried to scare the voters with lies about immediate economic armageddon and then lost to a bus. Get over it.
  • Options

In my view, a least worst Brexit is still achievable, but Leavers are going to have to do some thinking instead of:

The risk is that Remain Eurosceptics of the Cameron variety will see a reversal as too humiliating and instead try to engineer a mediocre association agreement of some sort.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

If Remainers had spent more time winning the argument than sneering at the voters, and then carping from the sidelines they'd be far better placed now. You tried to scare the voters with lies about immediate economic armageddon and then lost to a bus. Get over it.
    You’ve had nearly two years behind the steering wheel. The mess is your own making. Vote Leave Avoid Responsibility is still going strong though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Didn't we need a Committee of Safety precisely because we didn't have executive Cabinet government at the time, so there was no alternative but a parliamentary committee? What is Cabinet but a parliamentary committee after all? :)

As for Mr Barebone, he was a tradesman, religious and was picked by the army, so we're looking for a working man/woman, a believer (or possibly a BeLeaver), with army ties for preference. Any candidates?
    I reckon Dennis Skinner might be the guy, except on the army front.
  • Options

So the Russians backed Leave and Corbyn because they knew both were damaging for the UK.

If you back Leave and/or Corbyn then you're a traitor or a useful idiot.

Repent now.

Funny how when people called you a traitor you got all uppity about it but now you are happy to use the same name for those you oppose.

You are easily described. You at a fucking hypocrite.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    I thought this was interesting:

' The institute also found that London's female employment rate had fallen back compared with other parts of the country.

In 1975, London's employment rate was the highest in the UK, at 63%. But despite strong employment growth in recent years, its figure was 74% in 2017 - joint-lowest together with Northern Ireland. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43919090

Together with the story about London dominating the worst areas for childhood obesity it does seem that parts of London are sinking into ever deeper deprivation and squalor.
This discussion has been closed.