Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there’s a high turnout of Jewish voters in this key ward th

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I praise one bit of government. I received my VAT refund - following my first VAT return (yay!) - within a week of filing. Most impressive. And welcome.

The former Customs and Excise is pretty efficient, in my experience.
    I have never had a refund from HMRC but paying VAT has to be one of the simplest and most straightforward of interactions with the State.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Why is there a debate on antisemitism in the Labour party in Parliament, or am I misinterpreting the comments on here?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Labour, 2018.

Sickening.

Completely and utterly taken over by the worst of the hard left.
  • Options
    The stench of rank hypocrisy and cant is overwhelming.
  • Options
    watching the debate, I cant help noticing that JC is blinking every few seconds. Must be stressed
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why is there a debate on antisemitism in the Labour party in Parliament, or am I misinterpreting the comments on here?

The Government called a debate on anti-semitism.

Obviously it is was called to embarrass the Labour party.
  • Options
    RobD said:

iirc the government called the debate, knowing that it would focus on the appalling mess the modern Labour party is in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Clever move by TM who tabled the debate just before Easter and now showing to the World the hatred in small and malign parts of Corbyn's cabal. He and they need to go and labour needs to recapture it's soul
  • Options

RobD said:

The Government called a debate on anti-semitism.

Obviously it is was called to embarrass the Labour party.
    Cheeky buggers.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    This time last year, Her Maj was receiving an unexpected phone call from Theresa May....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    There is a difference between war and 8 bombs. Parliament has already spent longer on this than the RAF did.
  • Options
  • Options
    And because of Trump
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    glw said:

Two years ago:

' The threat of a potential vote to leave the EU in June could be partly to blame for the first rise in unemployment in seven months, the work and pensions secretary has warned.

Stephen Crabb said the latest labour report, which showed the unemployment total rose by 21,000 in the three months to February to 1.7 million, was a signal that the looming EU referendum vote was hitting the jobs market. '

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/uk-unemployment-rises-and-pay-growth-falls

Today unemployment is down to 1.4 million.

Did Project Fear get any prediction right?
    by hiking income tax, NO
    alcohol MAYBE
    and petrol duties NO
    and making massive cuts to the NHS, NO (in cash terms)
    schools MAYBE
    and defence. NO

820,000 jobs lost within two years NO including 520,000 in a year NO
    Leave vote would cause an "immediate and profound" economic shock, with growth between 3% and 6% lower. NO
    it suggests sterling would fall by 12% YES BUT NOW NO
    average wages would fall by 2.8% NO
    house prices would be hit by 10%. NO

CPI +2.3 percentage points NO but some rise
    Public sector net borrowing (Fiscal year 2017-18) +£24bn NOT AGAINST FORECAST

households would be £4,300 a year worse off, and the economy 6% smaller by 2030. TOO EARLY TO TELL

• Options

And because of Trump
    Peace prize? Thought not....
  • Options
    The Chinese have had enough of dealing with Little Rocket Man's issues?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic but close to my heart: I see that various PB'ers were being described as being on the autism spectrum on the previous thread as well as Mrs May.

** Rant mode ON **

I really hate this sort of cod-diagnosis. Being not v good with people or very interested in a particular topic is not a mental illness and this tendency to label quirks and eccentricities as a disease does a disservice to those who really do suffer from such mental illnesses. (The same can be said of fussy eaters claiming to have an "allergy" when the reality is they just don't like a particular food.)

As the mother of a child with OCD it really bugs me - and him - when people say they are a "little bit OCD" just because they like to tidy their books alphabetically or whatever. OCD is not about excessive tidiness. It's a horrible condition which causes real pain - think of someone banging their head against a wall - literally - for hours at a time to try and banish dark thoughts or self-harming to the point of attempting suicide. It can be managed. But provision for it - certainly in the NHS - is poor and if not treated it has a high mortality rate. People who like lining up their mugs in a particular way have no fucking idea what being OCD is like!

Being interested in politics more than the normal person makes one intelligent not weird. Not being very good with strangers makes one shy and reserved not mentally ill. Not everyone can be a Princess Diana and politics needs all sorts of skills. Mrs May has some and not others. That just means that she is human and is, IMO, over-promoted. Sometimes she can be very good; at other times she has a tin ear for the human side. She is much like many people in positions of leadership in both the private and public sectors.

I can't comment on PB'ers other than those I've met. And I'm not going to. But they seem to cover a range of interesting opinions and experiences (which makes this website one of the best there is) and some seem to be both fun and kind.

** Rant mode off now (and apologies for the intemperate language) **

You have my considerable sympathies @Cyclefree. And my agreement.
  • Options
    Moving speech by Halfon.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Wow. Donald only has to get Israel/Palestine sorted and he'll go down as the greatest peace maker of the modern age!
  • Options

Wow. Donald only has to get Israel/Palestine sorted and he'll go down as the greatest peace maker of the modern age!
    Some might say he’s mastered the art of the deal......

I’ll get my coat.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

glw said:

Two years ago:

' The threat of a potential vote to leave the EU in June could be partly to blame for the first rise in unemployment in seven months, the work and pensions secretary has warned.

Stephen Crabb said the latest labour report, which showed the unemployment total rose by 21,000 in the three months to February to 1.7 million, was a signal that the looming EU referendum vote was hitting the jobs market. '

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/uk-unemployment-rises-and-pay-growth-falls

Today unemployment is down to 1.4 million.

Did Project Fear get any prediction right?
    by hiking income tax, NO
    alcohol MAYBE
    and petrol duties NO
    and making massive cuts to the NHS, NO (in cash terms)
    schools MAYBE
    and defence. NO

820,000 jobs lost within two years NO including 520,000 in a year NO
    Leave vote would cause an "immediate and profound" economic shock, with growth between 3% and 6% lower. NO
    it suggests sterling would fall by 12% YES BUT NOW NO
    average wages would fall by 2.8% NO
    house prices would be hit by 10%. NO

CPI +2.3 percentage points NO but some rise
    Public sector net borrowing (Fiscal year 2017-18) +£24bn NOT AGAINST FORECAST

households would be £4,300 a year worse off, and the economy 6% smaller by 2030. TOO EARLY TO TELL

Well done, it's hard to believe such clever people lost. ;)
  • Options
    Luciana Berger is so moving and brings a tear to my eye. How can Corbyn and his cabal even listen to this
  • Options
    Tom Watson sat next to Berger as she tells her story. Moving.
  • Options
    Who do you think is controlling the rebels? MI6, obviously.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

Yep. The section where she gives details of the crimes against her, and the people sent to jail for it, deserves to be on the news.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nah, it is Finchley Road controlling it all.
  • Options

Yep. The section where she gives details of the crimes against her, and the people sent to jail for it, deserves to be on the news.
    She is getting a huge round of applause. What a speech and must feature on the media
  • Options
    Berger now listing the stream of abuse she has had from her own party hard left activists. JC4PM supporters included.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nah, it will be the same Swedes responsible for Salisbury.
  • Options

RobD said:

Nah, it is Finchley Road controlling it all.
    That building on the Thames is only a cover.
  • Options

Round of applause for Berger.
  • Options
    Two of the families who lost children in the Sandy Hook mass shooting are suing radio host Alex Jones and his website Infowars for defamation after becoming the target of internet conspiracy theorists.

Jones has been at the front of a small but loud group of conspiracy theorists who believe that the shooting was a staged “false flag” event, intended to push US public opinion toward increased gun control. “Undoubtedly, there’s a cover-up, there’s actors, they’re manipulating, they’ve been caught lying, and they were pre-planning before it,” Jones said in a March 2014 broadcast.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/17/alex-jones-sued-infowars-sandy-hook-parents-defamation
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    DavidL said:

There is a difference between war and 8 bombs. Parliament has already spent longer on this than the RAF did.
    It's called hypocrisy !
  • Options
    surby said:

DavidL said:

It's called hypocrisy !
    If the SAS have to rescue some hostages somewhere, are you going to have Parliament debate that?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    How would the Korean War ending actually work?

Who's the legitimate government? Would there be nationwide or north/south elections [to decide on negotiating parties]?

I don't think it could be resolved as easily as Germany, because the North isn't the satellite of an empire, it's self-governing.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    surby said:

DavidL said:

It's called hypocrisy !
    Is that you, subiton? I thought you had been banned. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    John Mann on now. Attacking Momentum.
  • Options
    John Mann tearing momentum and labour apart
  • Options
    Mann on fire. No holding back
  • Options

Not surprised Corbyn has run off. Hope he keeps going all the way to red square.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Mr. glw, well, quite.

Corbyn simply wants to make it as difficult as possible for the UK to defend its own interests.

Edited for grammar.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

He does seem peeved.

Who asked for this debate?
  • Options
    Theresa Villiers speaking as Luciana Berger sobs
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

He does seem peeved.

Theresa May just before Easter
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Who's the legitimate government? Would there be nationwide or north/south elections [to decide on negotiating parties]?

I don't think it could be resolved as easily as Germany, because the North isn't the satellite of an empire, it's self-governing.

The war may end, but I doubt it means reunification.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

He does seem peeved.

Theresa May just before Easter
    Good for her.
  • Options
    And yet nothing on BBC news front page.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Mr. Max, well, they either need to formally separate and demilitarise (slowly, one would imagine) the border (which also must be settled, I think they have disputed islands) or unify.

Edited extra bit: to be fair, Mr. Borough, it takes a little while to write stuff up. I don't think something like this would be expected to be up immediately. But it should be soon.
  • Options

Theresa Villiers speaking as Luciana Berger sobs

The strain on MPs like Berger must be off the scale.
  • Options

Is anyone surprised?

The only surprising thing is that Mann and Berger don't resign the whip.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I don't think the War would end with reunification. Just that the war officially ends (and they stop glaring at each other over the border).

• Options
    If this debate does not trigger a serious backlash from Labour moderates, I don't know what will.
  • Options
    And Corbyn isn't present in the chamber? Shameful not to listen to the experiences of his own MPs about the problems in society and his own party.
  • Options

Is anyone surprised?

The only surprising thing is that Mann and Berger don't resign the whip.
    How can these MPs or indeed the unions now help put Corbyn and his left wing thug fans anywhere near power?
  • Options
    The £3 entry system really has been an utter and total catastrophe.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Mr. Jessop, he was present but (I think, not watching, following via Twitter now and then) left during Berger's speech, which preceded Mann's.

Edited extra bit: "The £3 entry system really has been an utter and total catastrophe."

Mr. Borough, are you saying the Ed Miliband-designed leadership changes were crap?

To be fair, Labour MPs screwed up by failing to understand their own damned rules. They didn't have to put Corbyn on the shortlist.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

Can always rely on the Core Negative and the Hostile Group

https://labourlist.org/2016/03/leaked-list-ranks-labour-mps-by-hostility-to-corbyn/
  • Options

And Corbyn isn't present in the chamber? Shameful not to listen to the experiences of his own MPs about the problems in society and his own party.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/986283605294010373
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The war may end, but I doubt it means reunification.
    NorK (pop 25 million) is not obviously too wee/poor/stupid to carry on alone. Unless 24.9 m of them leg it over the border the first chance they get.
  • Options

If this debate does not trigger a serious backlash from Labour moderates, I don't know what will.

This is a singular depressing debate and standing applause for Ruth Smeeth

This just cannot go on Corbyn
  • Options

https://labourlist.org/2016/03/leaked-list-ranks-labour-mps-by-hostility-to-corbyn/
    To be fair BJO you cannot accept what has been said today. You are better than that
  • Options

Oh, that's quite something. Attacking the messenger rather than listening to the message. You are deaf, and when it comes to Corbyn, utterly dumb.
  • Options
    Probably the most moving, humbling and saddening debate I have ever watched in Parliament.

Terrible stories. Moving speeches. Applause etc etc.

And yet, nothing on BBC news front page. WTF?
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, what do you make of John Mann saying his wife has been threatened with rape by far left activists, in revenge for him speaking out about anti-semitism?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Morrissey comes out in favour of the new far right party of Anne-Marie Walters 'For Britain'

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/morrissey-brexit-sadiq-khan-theresa-may-interview_uk_5ad5fc9ae4b0edca2cbe1940
  • Options

Eh? Are you actually saying Mann is standing up to say his wife has had rape threats because he doesn't agree politically with Corbyn?
  • Options
    |How can Corbyn just not BE THERE for this?
  • Options

Mr. Owls, what do you make of John Mann saying his wife has been threatened with rape by far left activists, in revenge for him speaking out about anti-semitism?

Whoever said it should be arrested. Surely it was reported to the Police.

If they are a Labour Party Member they should be expelled.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

|How can Corbyn just not BE THERE for this?

He was but ran off
  • Options
    As a matter of interest, did this afternoon's pointless debate and vote (called for by Corbyn) reduce the time available for this debate?
  • Options

Eh? Are you actually saying Mann is standing up to say his wife has had rape threats because he doesn't agree politically with Corbyn?
    Could it be - just an idea - that Mann's abuse might be because he is hostile to Corbyn...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825

Sadly threats and abuse online are part of modern life, I believe Dianne Abbott is the number one target. Anti-semitic trolls vie with a lot of others in their repulsiveness.
  • Options

As a matter of interest, did this afternoon's pointless debate and vote (called for by Corbyn) reduce the time available for this debate?

I think it did but not sure. But this should be played to the nation by all the broadcast media
  • Options

Racism, such as antisemitism, is a poison. If you do not treat it early, it hurts and damages. For some reason, the Labour party has chosen to allow it to infect and fester.

Your attitude, as shown on a few posts ago, is telling. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    it sounds like data protection laws were responsible for the landing cards being destroyed when the Home Office decided it hadn't got enough space to store them any longer. In earlier years they probably would have been donated to archivists or historical societies, and therefore would still have been recoverable today.
  • Options

Shakes head.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sadly threats and abuse online are part of modern life, I believe Dianne Abbott is the number one target. Anti-semitic trolls vie with a lot of others in their repulsiveness.
    Citation required. Who is responsible for keeping track of this rather sad league table? The Commons?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Okay, I'm now totally baffled by this Windrush story. The Six O'Clock News has just shown one guy who did have a British passport and was refused from getting a new one. WTF have the Home Office been playing at?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

You really should not play this down. I have never, no never, heard such a profoundly disturbing debate in the HOC. Either Corbyn goes or these MPs need to act and split the party
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,898
    OT. I see the BBC are getting a pasting from Sir Cliff. I'm a big fan of Auntie but in this instance they behaved deplorably and out of character.

If things weren't bad enough for the BBC Sir Cliff has Gloria Hunniford in his corner. I've worked with her and he couldn't be better served. She's not only transparently decent but she also carries an air of steely integrity rare in most people particularly the well known.
  • Options
    Damian Hinds should ordain that a DVD of this is compulsory viewing in every school in the country next week.
  • Options
    Harrowing as this is to listen to, the lack of party political point scoring is refreshing.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Citation required. Who is responsible for keeping track of this rather sad league table? The Commons?
    List aside, Diane has spoken quite compellingly about (predominantly) racism she receives.
  • Options
    Is that a first for use of the word c__t in the Chamber?
  • Options

Racism, such as antisemitism, is a poison. If you do not treat it early, it hurts and damages. For some reason, the Labour party has chosen to allow it to infect and fester.

If the allegations made by the MPs have been reported to the Police.

They should be investigated and Arrests made

Any Labour party members involved in abuse should be expelled

As i just said

Are you deaf or just the dumber to my dumb
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Foxy said:

Always looking to draw those equivalences eh, Foxy.

Dianne Abbott gets abuse, no doubt, a lot of it is because she says and does stupid things.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Not sure but could be
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Always looking to draw those equivalences eh, Foxy.

Dianne Abbott gets abuse, no doubt, a lot of it is because she says and does stupid things.
    She gets plenty of racism abuse Max, come on
  • Options

Foxy said:

List aside, Diane has spoken quite compellingly about (predominantly) racism she receives.
    And we should not downplay that. There are plenty of reasons to criticise Diane Abbott without descending to racism (as indeed there are all MPs without resorting to 'isms).

However Dr Fox bringing it up in response to this debate in an attempt to downplay it is a little odd. Another CorbyniteLib Dem who is utter denial.
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, indeed.

Dr. Foxy, jein. People being dicks online is one thing. Threatening rape or murder is entirely different (as was the damned fools inciting riots in 2011).

Some years ago a CoD developer patched the game to alter weapon reload times by tenths of a second to try and balance it better. Online, he and his family were threatened with comparable abuse to what Mann and his family have suffered.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,898
    Most interesting to hear impartial witnesses saying that Assad has the support of about 70% of his country. Not something we hear very often from our rather skewed media. From working many times in Beirut with Syrians not something I find surprising. The older Assad was feared but that was never the case with his son.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I believe Mhairi Black was the first to use it about a month ago.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Indeed and unfortunately a number of MPs in the two right columns have been silent.

Or in a number of cases involved in the abuse of Dianne Abbott.
  • Options

If the allegations made by the MPs have been reported to the Police.

They should be investigated and Arrests made

Any Labour party members involved in abuse should be expelled

As i just said

Are you deaf or just the dumber to my dumb
    I'll leave it up to others to decide how dumb I am. What I will say is that you and Dr Fox have utterly misjudged the tone of this debate in your attempts to defend Corbyn and Labour.
This discussion has been closed.