Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With Priti Patel flying in from Kenya her situation and the go

123457»

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If you slip out of May's back passage it can't be good.
  • Options
    Patel resigns.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Resigned.
  • Options
    Priti is "resigned" to her fate?
  • Options
    Weak Weak Weak
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Resigned
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Resigned
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:
    Cambridge is a doss.
    Didn't TSE and Nick Griffin go to Cambridge?

:innocent:
    The university of choice for both racists and traitors it seems
    And tech entrepreneurs!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:
    I doubt she enjoys sacking people, any more than the person on the receiving end enjoys being sacked. She’s probably more annoyed than anything, that someone in her own cabinet betrayed her trust.
    Who's she sacked except Osborne? And she didn't show much sign of not enjoying that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

Weak Weak Weak

Why? A resignation is the same as a sacking in practice. It just avoids making an enemy. May be the prime minister learns from her mistakes?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Resigned

The right think to do
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    She's out. Next!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Weak Weak Weak

Why? A resignation is the same as a sacking in practice. It just avoids making an enemy. May be the prime minister learns from her mistakes?
    One can hope.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Channel 4 News: Priti Patel visited Golan Heights as part of an Israeli government trip despite the fact that UK doesn't recognise Israel's annexation of Golan Heights from Syria.

I said that was the reason this afternoon - I visited the Golan Heights with my wife and youngest son some years ago and he bought a tee shirt but did not know what it said

When we got back to Jerusalem it said 'keep the Golan Heights'
    Bit unfair, these guys seemed to have gotten way with it.

https://twitter.com/GolanMarsad/status/797726064034377728
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    Scott_P said:
    101 things to do on a long flight, no. 23. Write a nice letter of resignation.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Weak Weak Weak

One shows leadership. One doesn't. Weak.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The lefties will be upset as TM will carry on and re-appoint her successor and PP can return to cabinet in due course. In this climate win-win
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Priti will be back when this waste of space PM throws in the towel and we get a new PM.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Jonathan said:

If you slip out of May's back passage it can't be good.

+1
  • Options
    This is utterly fucking stupid. Patel has NOT resigned.

You do not abruptly drop your official duties abroad, get straight onto a plane in response to a "be here now" message from Downing Street to "resign".

May has sacked her. But hasn't got the political credit to sack her. Can she look any more weak and pathetic?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    101 things to do on a long flight, no. 23. Write a nice letter of resignation.
    You really think she wrote it?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:
    The lefties will be upset as TM will carry on and re-appoint her successor and PP can return to cabinet in due course. In this climate win-win
    I would be very surprised if Ms Patel ever returned to the cabinet, except possibly as Party Chairman. There are a host of capable, young, ambitious Conservative MPs who are now ahead of her in the queue. And ultimately, I can't see Theresa May forgiving a cabinet minister for lying to her.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    She doesn’t seem very apologetic.
  • Options

You do not abruptly drop your official duties abroad, get straight onto a plane in response to a "be here now" message from Downing Street to "resign".

May has sacked her. But hasn't got the political credit to sack her. Can she look any more weak and pathetic?

No.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    In a randomized, double-blind clinical trial—the gold standard of trials—a combination of ibuprofen (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) was just as effective at treating patients with acute pain in an extremity as three other pain-killer combinations containing opioids. The authors of the study, which was published Tuesday in JAMA, suggest that emergency room doctors may be able to simply skip the opioids during and after urgent treatment.

Acute pain in an extremity is something like a cut foot. For which you should be using an anti-inflamatory (like ibuprofen) or a prostaglandin inhibitor (like acetaminophen). Yo
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Jonathan said:

You really think she wrote it?

The vapid nonsense about "free, independent and sovereign Britain" at the end makes me think, yes, she probably did.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Last Wednesday, Michael Fallon; today Priti Patel; who will resign next Wednesday from Theresa May's strong and stable government?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited November 2017

You'd think someone interested in politics would understand how cabinet exits work.

Remember all the Blairite ministers who resigned? Of course you do.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Weak Weak Weak

No. Allowing someone to resign is exactly the same as a sacking.

Leadership is knowing when to humiliate people. It can be a useful tool, if applied sparingly.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Priti will be back when this waste of space PM throws in the towel and we get a new PM.

Really?

How can you have someone in the cabinet, where you are constantly having to ask yourself "has she told me the truth?"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Post operatively, five years ago, I conducted some trials on me, in that I could blag morphine out of some of the nurses, but others fobbed me off with liquid paracetemol (= tylenol) and I have to say it's pretty potent stuff - I think we misunderestimate it cos it's available OTC.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

AndyJS said:

Channel 4 News: Priti Patel visited Golan Heights as part of an Israeli government trip despite the fact that UK doesn't recognise Israel's annexation of Golan Heights from Syria.

I said that was the reason this afternoon - I visited the Golan Heights with my wife and youngest son some years ago and he bought a tee shirt but did not know what it said

When we got back to Jerusalem it said 'keep the Golan Heights'
    Bit unfair, these guys seemed to have gotten way with it.

https://twitter.com/GolanMarsad/status/797726064034377728
    All of them? :smiley:
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:
    In a randomized, double-blind clinical trial—the gold standard of trials—a combination of ibuprofen (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) was just as effective at treating patients with acute pain in an extremity as three other pain-killer combinations containing opioids. The authors of the study, which was published Tuesday in JAMA, suggest that emergency room doctors may be able to simply skip the opioids during and after urgent treatment.

Acute pain in an extremity is something like a cut foot. For which you should be using an anti-inflamatory (like ibuprofen) or a prostaglandin inhibitor (like acetaminophen). Yo
    Still: the fewer people who are put on opiods the better.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Weak Weak Weak

Seems an act of decency by May.
  • Options

Yawn. She's been resigned.

The bubble will get it. The voters won't care.
  • Options

Not the political result you wanted
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290

Nuovo Thread

• Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Weak Weak Weak

No. Allowing someone to resign is exactly the same as a sacking.

Leadership is knowing when to humiliate people. It can be a useful tool, if applied sparingly.
    Today was total humiliation.
  • Options

Priti Patel isn't all bad.

She uses an iPhone

Bad apple?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:
    Post operatively, five years ago, I conducted some trials on me, in that I could blag morphine out of some of the nurses, but others fobbed me off with liquid paracetemol (= tylenol) and I have to say it's pretty potent stuff - I think we misunderestimate it cos it's available OTC.
    morphine isn't available OTC!!!

Codeine is - and that's an order of magnitude less powerful!
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:
    morphine isn't available OTC!!!

Codeine is - and that's an order of magnitude less powerful!
    I meant paracetemol, not morphine.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited November 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Mrs C, makes me wonder if someone will make an app for political resignations and firings. Sackr, perhaps?

It has to be called "iFire" surely. (Copyright and TM: Cyclefree).
    Surely FreeCycle would be more apt?

(I started with ReCycle, but it seemed a shame not to use all the letters)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Last Wednesday, Michael Fallon; today Priti Patel; who will resign next Wednesday from Theresa May's strong and stable government?
    I am happy for resignations as each one offers the opportunity to bring in new faces. The future lies with those new faces
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    To lose one Cabinet member may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness.
  • Options
    We still don't know why Patel did any of this on her hols?

Or have I missed something?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

You'd think someone interested in politics would understand how cabinet exits work.

Remember all the Blairite ministers who resigned? Of course you do.
    Any of them very publicly summoned from Africa to "resign"? Yes, I am very well aware of people being resigned. But that has zero credibility when the resignee has been dragged 2,000 miles to do so.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    edited November 2017
    Charles said:

Yawn. She's been resigned.

The bubble will get it. The voters won't care.
    Indeed. If any of our bosses called us straight back for an urgent meeting just as our plane landed 5,000 miles away, we’d probably have letters of resignation in our pockets too. There was only ever one outcome.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    I would be very surprised if Ms Patel ever returned to the cabinet, except possibly as Party Chairman. There are a host of capable, young, ambitious Conservative MPs who are now ahead of her in the queue. And ultimately, I can't see Theresa May forgiving a cabinet minister for lying to her.
    Not just lying (repeatedly). Worse than that, having been summoned home, she went kicking and screaming by virtue of a (surely not) coincidentally timed Jewish Chronicle article which attempted to compromise No 10's position, forcing No 10 to issue an outright denial.

And yet after all that she was still allowed to go with some semblance of grace. Utter weakness.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Looks like Boris escapes again, if May can't sack Patel for her recorded actions, then there is no way that Boris will ever voluntarily resign, whatever he does.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

'Guards' are an anachronism on many lines. A throwback to the dieselisation program.

"You can't operate a packed 8 or 12 car unit with no-one on the staff other than the driver."

Yes, you clearly can, because it is done. After all, the guard can only be in one of those 8 or 12 units at one, and if it's full and he's at one end he can do bu**er all at the other end.

What is the proportion of total cost of train operation that train companies save by not having guards? They are I'd think good to have but not critical; on the other hand, are they a significan extra cost?
    I'm not in the industry, and IANAE. But AIUI there are direct and indirect costs. The direct are obvious: the wages of the staff and the costs of employing them. The indirect are more complex: if a train is meant to have a guard and does not, it cannot be dispatched. This means you need enough guards to cover the eventualities that happen, and if a train has a driver but not a guard, the train's delayed and that's an extra cost.

I'm not sure if guards are subject to the same stringent hours rules that drivers are, but if they are, then that's another layer of complexity (and they really should be, if you believe they're involved with safety).

Another indirect cost is what Southern has found; then they strike they cause chaos. And don't underestimate the misery the striking guards have caused their passengers.

But they're really not needed on many lines.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Priti Patel isn't all bad.

She uses an iPhone

BURN HER!
This discussion has been closed.