Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With Priti Patel flying in from Kenya her situation and the go

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    edited November 2017

DavidL said:

If No 10 were in fact aware of these meetings but did not want them disclosed to the Foreign Office (at least officially) and Mrs May allowed an FO Minister to make a statement in the House that they were not disclosed we may just be leaving a period of relative calm....

Categorical denial is current state of play.
    Well luckily I'm not cynical otherwise I would think this story has been planted with the Jewish Chronicle to help a Minister who has proven very friendly towards Israel and may be in a spot of bother as a consequence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited November 2017

TOPPING said:

And yet we still mock Brown for not having the cojones to call an election. Such changes are unstable, unpredictable and events can turn on the slightest (or in this case, most enormous) issue.

I don't blame her for not rocking the boat.

It is execrable, weak, bad government, a shambles. But I don't blame her for it.

A major and bold reshuffle would be a risk, of course, but one with considerable potential upside. Conversely, doing as little as possible is also a risk, but one with with little or no upside. What's more, now is a particularly good time to be bold, because her most dangerous ministers are currently weak and the sexual harassment scandal is a restraining factor on any plots.

There will never be a better time for her to seize the initiative.

However, she won't.
    A major reshuffle would make no fundamental difference. It might look good for a week or two but the fundamental problem would be unchanged. The Tory Party has no coherent policy on Brexit and a reshuffle will not conjour one up. They are completely incapable of governing.
    The Tory policy on Brexit is very coherent actually, leave the single market, after a 2 year transition and do a FTA with the EU and end free movement and replace it with a points system

The LD policy on Brexit to be fair to them is also coherent, they want to permanently stay in the single market and customs union.

It is Corbyn and Starmer who do not really have a clue what their long term Brexit policy is.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

Does this farce now qualify for a -gate suffix?

Prittigate?

Coined yesterday

Departuregate
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

And yet we still mock Brown for not having the cojones to call an election. Such changes are unstable, unpredictable and events can turn on the slightest (or in this case, most enormous) issue.

It is execrable, weak, bad government, a shambles. But I don't blame her for it.

A major and bold reshuffle would be a risk, of course, but one with considerable potential upside. Conversely, doing as little as possible is also a risk, but one with with little or no upside. What's more, now is a particularly good time to be bold, because her most dangerous ministers are currently weak and the sexual harassment scandal is a restraining factor on any plots.

However, she won't.
    She either carries on like this, or rolls the dice. No brainer.
    I was trying to work this though but actually, I think she's toast either way. The basic problem is that all the Leave cabinet ministers, apart from Gove, are not very good. Sacking one but not others will cause resentment at disparate treatment; sacking all would cause uproar. On top of which, she probably can't sack Hammond two weeks before the Budget, which would just compound Leavers' wrath. Further, bringing in the likes of JRM is unlikely to solve the main problem while adding new ones to the mix (is he any good? If not, status quo ante plus the experience of an ineffective reshuffle; if so, boosts his leadership credentials).
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

Priti s plane now two hours from Heathrow.

The fun thing is that no-one on the plane will have any idea what’s going on back on the ground in London, unless someone chooses to make a call on the sat phone system. You can’t make an incoming call to the plane, except via ATC or the airline.
    She’ll have no idea at all that 22,000 people and the two 24h news channels have been following the plane in real time all day!

Well, she’s not flying on BA, so there’s a chance the plane might have wifi.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Patel reaches Croatia.

The Long Flight Home.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

The EU must look at Mrs May and her cabinet and think this lot will not outsmart us in the Brexit negotiations.

If you think the level of hostility that May is facing is unrelated to Brexit then I have a bridge for sale.

Hence why no one wants the job - until 60 seconds after Brexit.
    At this rate 60 seconds after Brexit will be the precise point May's premiership ends.
    It wont be far off - certainly within 60 days.

External forces are at work at present - can she stagger over the line in March '19.
    Perhaps, then she can retire and I think she knows it.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Guardian reporting on Five Live:

Soubry agreed. She said: "I’m with Mary [Creagh]. I think Mary’s instincts are usually good and on this one I’m sure she is right."

I'm increasingly wondering about Soubry's place in the Conservatives. She seems to be freelancing as an independent centrist rather than a whipped Tory MP.

As it is, the whips seem to have largely given up, just rolling over and abstaining every time Labour looks like winning a vote. But assuming Patel also becomes an enemy of May after the near-inevitable sacking, that DUP-enhanced majority is looking more precarious by the day. How on earth is any Brexit legislation going to get through?

Before Thatcher, Soubry's views were in the majority. Thatcher called them 'wets'.
  • Options
    Stephen Pollard from the Jewish Chronicle stands by his story despite n10 denial. He says it comes from two strong sources.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.
    I was trying to work this though but actually, I think she's toast either way. The basic problem is that all the Leave cabinet ministers, apart from Gove, are not very good. Sacking one but not others will cause resentment at disparate treatment; sacking all would cause uproar. On top of which, she probably can't sack Hammond two weeks before the Budget, which would just compound Leavers' wrath. Further, bringing in the likes of JRM is unlikely to solve the main problem while adding new ones to the mix (is he any good? If not, status quo ante plus the experience of an ineffective reshuffle; if so, boosts his leadership credentials).
    DD to FO, Gove to Brexit is a valid move. Boris to chair.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

@philipjcowley: Everyone, today: She should do a major reshuffle. Stamp of authority. Nothing to lose.

Major reshuffle -> civil war in Conservative Party -> May ousted

Everyone, tomorrow: She crazy.

And yet we still mock Brown.
    We learned this year that Brown got that decision soooooo right.
    The decision was never really the issue. The problem was the way the whole thing was handled including an excruciating interview iirc with Andy Marr explaining why there had never ever ever been a plan to hold an early election.
    Particularly after letting preparations and expectations get out of control.

Calling an election was the right call for May: the error was in how she conducted it.
  • Options

Worst. Government. Ever.

Worse opposition ever

No argument from me on that. How blessed we are to have the two combined.

Edit - I’d say this is the second worst opposition ever. The worst was the one Corbyn led before the general election.

I am struggling to think of a government that gets close to the current one for sheer ineptitude and dysfunctionality.
    It makes the Major administration look like the Elizabethan Golden Age.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.
    A major reshuffle would make no fundamental difference. It might look good for a week or two but the fundamental problem would be unchanged. The Tory Party has no coherent policy on Brexit and a reshuffle will not conjour one up. They are completely incapable of governing.
    The Tory policy on Brexit is very coherent actually, leave the single market, after a 2 year transition and do a FTA with the EU and end free movement and replace it with a points system

The LD policy on Brexit to be fair to them is also coherent, they want to permanently stay in the single market and customs union.

It is Corbyn and Starmer who do not really have a clue what their long term Brexit policy is.</blockquot

The Tory policy on Brexit is very coherent? Dream on!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Priti s plane now two hours from Heathrow.

The fun thing is that no-one on the plane will have any idea what’s going on back on the ground in London, unless someone chooses to make a call on the sat phone system. You can’t make an incoming call to the plane, except via ATC or the airline.
    She’ll have no idea at all that 22,000 people and the two 24h news channels have been following the plane in real time all day!

Well, she’s not flying on BA, so there’s a chance the plane might have wifi.
    It was reported earlier that there’s no WiFi on this plane, it’s a factory option for the 787 rather than a standard fit.
  • Options
    In the 70s there was a plan for a coup to replace an inept PM with Lord Mountbatten.

Who is the Lord Mountbatten de nos jours?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Is there a book open on a journalist shouting "Mrs Patel" at the airport ?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

@philipjcowley: Everyone, today: She should do a major reshuffle. Stamp of authority. Nothing to lose.

The decision was never really the issue. The problem was the way the whole thing was handled including an excruciating interview iirc with Andy Marr explaining why there had never ever ever been a plan to hold an early election.

Calling an election was the right call for May: the error was in how she conducted it.
    Is this not what Marxists say? It was the execution (and not just of 40m people) that was the problem, not the ideas.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HYUFD said:

The Tory policy on Brexit is very coherent actually

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.
    DD to FO and Gove to Brexit I could live with, particularly if there was a handover period. Boris needs to go now. The party chairmanship was the job for him in July 2016 (provided there was an administratively able deputy) but not now.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually
    No trying for a FTA rather than the EEA as the price of ending free movement is not 'eat all the cake'
  • Options

In the 70s there was a plan for a coup to replace an inept PM with Lord Mountbatten.

Princess Anne
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.

It is Corbyn and Starmer who do not really have a clue what their long term Brexit policy is.
    So no actual contradictory arguments then
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The 3D view on FlightRadar is nice, you can even spin the plane and see what view out of the window would look like.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Pulpstar said:

It is not exactly an uncommon name. If a flight from the subContinent has arrived recently you might get a few dozen women shouting "Yes? What do you want?" back at the journo.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    If Patel has any documentation then it really gets interesting, Foreign office telegrams, emails from the PM's private office, WhatsApp message from a No10 SPAD etc ;)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Rhubarb said:

Jonathan said:

Prittigate?

Prixit?
    Departure gate?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.
    Electric? Seems slightly excessive.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 905
    HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    Oh for a "Like" button
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    I am surprised you did not prpose the Queen or Prince Charles - back to ruling by divine right
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jonathan said:

So, you're Patel. You're on the flight. What do you do. Does LHR have a back door?

Does she go to no10 or do a little press conference at the airport?

What does she do with duty frees?

If she follows the example of
    D.B. Cooper
    , that will make the situation only slightly weirder than it already is.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder if they take her down the steps of the plane straight to a government car and out through the side door with a police escort - or do they have her walk trough the terminal hounded by dozens of hacks out of the regular front door to her car?

The latter would be hilarious, and would signal clearly that she’s toast before she gets close to No.10.
  • Options
    LlamaLlama Posts: 1
    Number Ten saying that Priti Patel is flying back from Nairobi is hilarious. Do they realise they are invoking a memory of the end of one reign and the beginning of another in 1952?

Meanwhile, for a few hours at least, Boris, Damian, Brian and Brenda will be pleased that Priti is getting most of the spotlight.
  • Options

DD to FO and Gove to Brexit I could live with, particularly if there was a handover period. Boris needs to go now. The party chairmanship was the job for him in July 2016 (provided there was an administratively able deputy) but not now.

I would leave DD in place. It's an extremely complicated brief and he seems to be reasonably on top of it.

Ruth Davidson to party chair. Jeremy Hunt to FO if he wants it (he might not). Alistair Burt to DFID. Esther McVey to Health if Hunt has had enough, or to Leader of the House. Split Damian Green's role into two.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.
    The Tory policy on Brexit is very coherent actually... (snip)
    It is Comedy Hour already?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually
    No trying for a FTA rather than the EEA as the price of ending free movement is not 'eat all the cake'
    Doesn't that depend what you mean by a FTA? Because if it's "free movement of goods, services and capital" but no free movement of people then you're back to asking the EU to agree to split up the indivisible freedoms - and unwillingness to do that is pretty much axiomatic for the EU.

So is the Tory position that the EU can be persuaded to change their minds on that, or that the FTA being referred to is not complete free movement of goods and services? If the former, does anyone seriously think it's possible? If the latter, what level of freedom is the target?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    I am surprised you did not prpose the Queen or Prince Charles - back to ruling by divine right
    I don't think the Queen would want that even if offered it on a plate, Charles maybe but his earlier namesake found out the hard way that is no longer an option.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually
    Doesn't that depend what you mean by a FTA? Because if it's "free movement of goods, services and capital" but no free movement of people then you're back to asking the EU to agree to split up the indivisible freedoms - and unwillingness to do that is pretty much axiomatic for the EU.

So is the Tory position that the EU can be persuaded to change their minds on that, or that the FTA being referred to is not complete free movement of goods and services? If the former, does anyone seriously think it's possible? If the latter, what level of freedom is the target?
    Freedom of goods principally a la the Canada FTA with some preferred access for the City if possible.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Doesn't that depend what you mean by a FTA? Because if it's "free movement of goods, services and capital" but no free movement of people

Shouldn't it be the free movement of labour, not people ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually

What should be possible is a FTA covering at least all manufactured goods, and perhaps agricultural products. Anything we can get on services would be a nice bonus, but might not be attainable without freedom of movement

It's actually perfectly coherent: essentially, something like Canada has, but hopefully a bit better. It's also very much in the EU's interests, although they seem a bit backwards in recognising this.

Edit: I see @HYUFD got there first.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    I don't think the Queen would want that even if offered it on a plate, Charles maybe but his earlier namesake found out the hard way that is no longer an option.
    Surely they would be the ultimate pro-Brexiteers? :D
  • Options

If Patel has any documentation then it really gets interesting, Foreign office telegrams, emails from the PM's private office, WhatsApp message from a No10 SPAD etc ;)
    Even if it's true, the pressure to collide with keeping it quiet would be immense. Revelation could mean the entire government falls and they all lose their jobs.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Is this not what Marxists say? It was the execution (and not just of 40m people) that was the problem, not the ideas.
    No, because every country that has ever tried to implement some version of Marxism has never got anywhere near the ideal and has always continued to repress and murder. By contrast, most governments, in most democracies, that go into an election with a 20-point lead come out of it with a stonking win.

May should, and could, have:

1. Used Crosby properly to vet the manifesto
    2. Turned up to the debates
    3. Spoken more to the public
    4. Talked about the economy and let others do so
    5. Made the election about the party and not principally herself
    6. Been smarter in hitting Corbyn and McDonnell with their record

None of this is rocket science - and to the extent that it is, that's why you employ rocket scientists.
  • Options
    Malcolm tucker / bad al would never have allowed this...

https://order-order.com/2017/11/08/damian-green-finds-lifeboat/
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    The Queen was rumoured as such (the Queen Mother was certainly anti EU) though Charles more of a Remainer I think
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually

Do Leavers call TAs FTAs to make them sound better, and disguise the fact that to get a TA you normally have to sign up to a whole load of concessions? Just look at TTIP.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    HYUFD said:

Freedom of goods principally a la the Canada FTA with some preferred access for the City if possible.

Does this mean you support paying 60 billion euros to the EU as the "divorce bill" ?

What would you say to those in your Party who think we should leave the EU without paying a penny ?

How do you think the 60 billion gap in the public finances should be closed - by increased borrowing or by spending cuts and if the latter in which areas should the cuts be made ?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No, because every country that has ever tried to implement some version of Marxism has never got anywhere near the ideal and has always continued to repress and murder. By contrast, most governments, in most democracies, that go into an election with a 20-point lead come out of it with a stonking win.

None of this is rocket science - and to the extent that it is, that's why you employ rocket scientists.
    Promised say an extra £200-300m a week for the NHS by 2022....and that would also allowed boris to be able to campaign without having to constantly answer the bus question.
  • Options

Guardian reporting on Five Live:

Soubry agreed. She said: "I’m with Mary [Creagh]. I think Mary’s instincts are usually good and on this one I’m sure she is right."

I'm increasingly wondering about Soubry's place in the Conservatives. She seems to be freelancing as an independent centrist rather than a whipped Tory MP.

As it is, the whips seem to have largely given up, just rolling over and abstaining every time Labour looks like winning a vote. But assuming Patel also becomes an enemy of May after the near-inevitable sacking, that DUP-enhanced majority is looking more precarious by the day. How on earth is any Brexit legislation going to get through?

You should have no worries about Soubry, like Ken Clarke the one thing really detests is unreconstructed socialists like Corbyn and McDonnell.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

So, you're Patel. You're on the flight. What do you do. Does LHR have a back door?

D.B. Cooper
    AIUI after Cooper the aircraft that had a door openable in flight were retrofitted to disable that.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

D.B. Cooper
    AIUI after Cooper the aircraft that had a door openable in flight were retrofitted to disable that.
    If you watch Prison Break you find out what happened to D.B. Cooper.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Does this mean you support paying 60 billion euros to the EU as the "divorce bill" ?

What would you say to those in your Party who think we should leave the EU without paying a penny ?

How do you think the 60 billion gap in the public finances should be closed - by increased borrowing or by spending cuts and if the latter in which areas should the cuts be made ?

In the long run it would be less costly than no FTA but above all it ends free movement which was, along with restoring sovereignty, the key motive for Leave voters and therefore non negotiable
  • Options
    The most popular Prime Minister ever gives his thoughts.

https://twitter.com/AlexDean94/status/928239611498975233
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

D.B. Cooper
    Did you know the guy never said he was d.b Cooper, he said his name was dan cooper. It was a local journalist who misheard it / put it together with a local small time thief in his town called d.b Cooper. The authorities didnt challenge it as they used it as a way to filter out the hoax calls.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    The Queen was rumoured as such (the Queen Mother was certainly anti EU) though Charles more of a Remainer I think
    Did you see her EU Flag Hat?
  • Options
    Anyone want to give me a précis about the elections in America yesterday?

A harbinger for Trump getting walloped in 2020 and the Dems taking the House in 2018?

Or is Trump gonna win in 2020?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

You should have no worries about Soubry, like Ken Clarke the one thing really detests is unreconstructed socialists like Corbyn and McDonnell.

Absolutely. Labour is clearly not a home for Tory defectors of any stripe. But I wonder under what scenario she might consider returning to the (successor of the) SDP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually

Does CETA provide full freedom of goods? I was under the impression that there were some tariffs (though substantially reduced from an already low level) and quite a few non-tariff barriers.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 905
    Had forgotten about Green. Assuming the Cabinet Secs report on him is on TM's desk then it would make sense to get rid of both Green and Patel today rather than a sacking every two days.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    HYUFD said:

This table from Open Europe from before the referendum shows why any Canada style PTA will be highly disadvantageous to the UK. It covers sectors (medium to high chances of access in green) where we have large trade deficits with the EU, but not the sectors we do best at:

OE Brexit impact

https://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/how-would-key-export-sectors-fare-under-brexit/
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually

Does CETA provide full freedom of goods? I was under the impression that there were some tariffs (though substantially reduced from an already low level) and quite a few non-tariff barriers.
    There may well be a few minor barriers remaining but certainly far fewer tariffs than WTO terms would be.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Obviously anyone with half a brain (thus excluding Corbyn) knows that in reality Marxism is a really, really stupid idea. No one would dispute that the campaign was inept. But was it a good idea in the first place? I am not so sure.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

https://twitter.com/AlexDean94/status/928239611498975233

Bring back the cones hotline.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Polruan said:

Doesn't that depend what you mean by a FTA? Because if it's "free movement of goods, services and capital" but no free movement of people

Yes, my mistake. If the UK had used its existing powers in relation to that distinction under the previous Home Secretary then the referendum may well have turned out differently. (Who was that again?)
  • Options

A harbinger for Trump getting walloped in 2020 and the Dems taking the House in 2018?

The Dems will certainly take the House in 2020 but Trump could still be competitive on 2020, some of his voters sat out yesterday but will be there in 2020.

Biden, Sanders or Warren his likely opponent in my view.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Damian asking - "What's the WIFI signal like on board?"
    https://twitter.com/DamianGreen/status/928251019334742016
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

Polruan said:

Yes, my mistake. If the UK had used its existing powers in relation to that distinction under the previous Home Secretary then the referendum may well have turned out differently. (Who was that again?)
    It was Blair's failure to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 which was really the pivotal factor on immigration in terms of the Leave vote.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    calum said:

Damian asking - "What's the WIFI signal like on board?"
    https://twitter.com/DamianGreen/status/928251019334742016

Very good.

You should have saved that for Guido's caption competition on Friday.
  • Options
    One further thought: if the "undisclosed" meeting was on 7th September in Whitehall what on earth was her private office doing? Surely those responsible for her official diary would also be responsible for letting No 10 and the relevant department(s) know of the meeting? Why would they not?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

May lost her majority because of Brexit. Remain voters angry about the referendum abandoned her. Brexit is a curse on the Tories - it has destroyed three prime ministers, their reputation for competence, their parliamentary majority and their reputation abroad. It may yet destroy the party completely.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

Polruan said:

I think so too !
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

This table from Open Europe from before the referendum shows why any Canada style PTA will be highly disadvantageous to the UK. It covers sectors (medium to high chances of access in green) where we have large trade deficits with the EU, but not the sectors we do best at:

OE Brexit impact

https://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/how-would-key-export-sectors-fare-under-brexit/
    It covers manufacturing which is what matters to Leave areas.

It is not so good for the City but then the Leave vote was never a vote to protect the City and on even the worst Brexit projections London will still be the largest financial centre in Europe even if Frankfurt and Paris and Zurich narrow the gap.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Obviously anyone with half a brain (thus excluding Corbyn) knows that in reality Marxism is a really, really stupid idea. No one would dispute that the campaign was inept. But was it a good idea in the first place? I am not so sure.
    The counterfactual is what would have happened had she not called an election? One question is whether Corbyn would have been toppled by then or not. My guess is 'not'. I don't think the PLP would have wanted another leadership election this summer despite the dire polling and local election results. better to wait another year.

Beyond that, she'd still have had Brexit to deal with and still had a small majority, though that would probably have seemed larger than it was with Labour in disarray. And at some point, the bubble would still have burst.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

The obvious flaw in PB Tory logic is that the Labour party manifesto, and party itself is not Marxist, even if the shadow chancellor and LoTO have Marxist sympathies.

Indeed the fact that the Tories are lifting large chunks of that manifesto, and implementing it shows that they are as much Marxists.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Eat all the cake.

Have all the cake.

very coherent actually

There are many tariff rate quotas, so only limited numbers of those items qualify for the zero rate. The question is how limiting those quotas are in practice. I don't know the answer to that.

There are also a lot of non tariff barriers, particularly on the Canadian side. Canada is more protectionist than people realise.
  • Options

The obvious flaw in PB Tory logic is that the Labour party manifesto, and party itself is not Marxist, even if the shadow chancellor and LoTO have Marxist sympathies.

Indeed the fact that the Tories are lifting large chunks of that manifesto, and implementing it shows that they are as much Marxists.

That's one of Mrs May's worst crimes, she's detoxifying Corbyn.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327
    edited November 2017

Pulpstar said:

It is not exactly an uncommon name. If a flight from the subContinent has arrived recently you might get a few dozen women shouting "Yes? What do you want?" back at the journo.
    And each of them would be more competent and able than the current incumbents to be International Development Secretary, Foreign Secretary or indeed PM.
  • Options

"It's OK, the lifetime-long views of the two most senior figures in the party and of the most senior adviser are no guide to the party's political position".

Yeah, right.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    The monarchy is all about stability and continuity - the Leninism of Brexit would not appeal I think.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Some on-the-money points, but I think you overlook the extent to which the Brexit vote, and the government's reaction to it in abandoning Osbo's "long-term economic plan", neutralised their ability to play the economy during the election. Leading to a manifesto with few numbers. This made your 4 and 6 difficult to play.

I certainly agree on 2/3 - the obvious precedent being Major pulling out his soap box when he fell behind. Of course Mrs May never imagined that she was behind...
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

D.B. Cooper
    Yes, the modification was called a “Cooper Vane”. The aircraft involved in the incident was (quite deliberately) a Boeing 727, with a rearwards-pointing staircase in the tail of the aircraft.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    The monarchy is all about stability and continuity - the Leninism of Brexit would not appeal I think.
    Her Majesty knows that if you support Brexit and voting to back control from unelected leaders, then logically you must support the abolition of the monarchy too.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2017

Prior to the election the Republicans controlled the Virginia House of Delegates 66-34.

As of this morning Dems were 48-47 ahead with 5 races too close to call and it looks most likely it will be a 50-50 split.

The heavily Bannon backed Governor candidate got creamed in the suburbs with his Dem opponent winning 60%+ of people under 45. Crucially the Republican did brilliantly in rural Virginia and got absolutely destroyed in the suburbs.

https://twitter.com/JonahNRO/status/928244887308455937

This looks amazing for the Dems in 2018.

I got on @ 3/1 for Dem control of Congress. I feel smug right now.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Jonathan said:

Prittigate?

arrivalsgate.
  • Options

tps://twitter.com/AlexDean94/status/928239611498975233

Mr Eagles, surely you’re not describing electoral success by votes cast rather than seats won?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm not sure that's true. Marxist toxicity is why the Conservative polling is bizarrely high.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    at last some good news
    #Southern Railway drivers have voted by 4-1 to accept a deal to end their long-running dispute over driver-operated trains
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Princess Anne
    Her Majesty knows that if you support Brexit and voting to back control from unelected leaders, then logically you must support the abolition of the monarchy too.
    Technically Juncker was elected by the EU Parliament we had a vote for.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

Polruan said:

It was Blair's failure to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 which was really the pivotal factor on immigration in terms of the Leave vote.
    Didn't that vote pass the Commons something like 418-0, with votes in favour from all the major Brexiteers who were in parliament at the time?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Because the terrible twosome believed their own propaganda that May was the new messiah, and would sleepwalk into a landslide regardless, and wanted her to have supreme power after.

A lesson in hubris.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

That's one of Mrs May's worst crimes, she's detoxifying Corbyn.
    Corbyn won the 2016 local elections before May
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

That's a rather different point from the one we were discussing. Obviously the Labour Party as a whole are not Marxist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

OE Brexit impact

It covers manufacturing which is what matters to Leave areas.

It is not so good for the City but then the Leave vote was never a vote to protect the City and on even the worst Brexit projections London will still be the largest financial centre in Europe even if Frankfurt and Paris and Zurich narrow the gap.
    In a word, "Nissan". I could see the government signing up to this highly unequal arrangement just to keep Nissan in Sunderland. But there's another problem to a Canadian style PTA. There's no transition available to it. We have to go through Hard Brexit first. What it will eventually be, how long it takes and whether it happens at all are very uncertain. The EU has more comprehensive trade agreements than anyone else but even so they lack them with some very big economies, including the USA, China, Japan and India.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Prittigate?

Sandy may have changed his mind, now, but, putting aside the fact I am a married man for a second, I still would.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Alistair said:

Prior to the election the Republicans controlled the Virginia House of Delegates 66-34.

As of this morning Dems were 48-47 ahead with 5 races too close to call and it looks most likely it will be a 50-50 split.

The heavily Bannon backed Governor candidate got creamed in the suburbs with his Dem opponent winning 60%+ of people under 45. Crucially the Republican did brilliantly in rural Virginia and got absolutely destroyed in the suburbs.

https://twitter.com/JonahNRO/status/928244887308455937

This looks amazing for the Dems in 2018.

I got on @ 3/1 for Dem control of Congress. I feel smug right now.
    Though the GOP candidate Gillespie was also a former Bush aide who beat an even more conservative primary challenger and Bannon and Trump are now saying he lost as he was not Trumpite enough
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That's a rather different point from the one we were discussing. Obviously the Labour Party as a whole are not Marxist.

True, but Momentum are working on that.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

However, she won't.
    She won't because it is an asymmetric risk. Do something, risk getting ejected. Do nothing, risk becoming ever weaker (on the assumption that surely - surely - if anyone was going to try their hand against her they would have done so by now).
    The one risky thing May did was call the election. And look where she ended up?

She might well view her habit of a lifetime of playing it safe, and excessive caution, as vindicated, now.
This discussion has been closed.