Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After just 3 Tory PMs in 37 years we might soon 3 Tory PMs in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After just 3 Tory PMs in 37 years we might soon 3 Tory PMs in just 3 (yes three) years

Very interesting story from @ShippersUnbound. https://t.co/uj2SdQkuuP pic.twitter.com/MaOQRAq3sO

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I see england management have selected the d team today. No morgan or Bairstow. I do wonder what the england management have against the ginger Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited June 2017
    I can't see Theresa being replaced before Brexit.

She resigns sometime Spring/Summer 2019 followed by a new Con leader and PM by Sep/Oct 2019 IMO.

General election Spring 2020?
  • Options

I see england management have selected the d team today. No morgan or Bairstow. I do wonder what the england management have against the ginger Yorkshireman.

After the news that Ireland is to get Test status - perhaps Morgan has dropped himself to follow Beverley's example and try to qualify for Team Ireland?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    GIN1138 said:

She resigns sometime Spring/Summer 2019 followed by a new Con leader and PM by Sep/Oct 2019 IMO.

Agree - except the GE will be in 2022 (or 21 if that's when the FTPA triggers it). There's unlikely to be much 'good news' between now & then - so I reckon the Tories will hang on as long as possible. Another measure of May's 'failure':

https://twitter.com/chrisg0000/status/878947158459916290
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Who backed the safety car?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    I like the comment:

A former cabinet colleague has claimed the chancellor believes he is equipped to do the job. “He told me that if Theresa May could be prime minister, so could he.”

That really is a recommendation!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    It is amazing what a mess the Tories have managed to make of their only outright victory in the last 25 years. Not at all what would have been expected on the basis of what happened in my formative years - between 1979 and 1992, when they won four elections in a row, and Labour seemed to have been consigned to the proverbial dustbin of history.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Why do you think she will play ball ? I think she is an obstinate type.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    "...if Theresa May could be prime minister, so could he.”

Reminds me of the hilarious singing of soccer fans in the nineties whenever Arsenal and England full back Lee Dixon took to the field:

'If Lee Dixon plays for England so can I.....'
  • Options
    Did may's former advisers pick the england T20 team? The tail is longer than a giraffes neck.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You surprise me. Can you really see her standing before the Tory Party Conference this autumn?

Really?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited June 2017
    Spreadsheet Phil is one of the worst public speakers in the party. He's been around the block but can someone tell me what Grey Phil has done or achieved in any of his ministerial posts? As far as I can tell he's a no talent, no charisma, no hoper.

The Tories need to hold their nerve and get a decent successor ready for post Brexit to take on Corbyn. Someone young, fresh and dynamic is needed but in two years not now.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PClipp said:

I like the comment:

A former cabinet colleague has claimed the chancellor believes he is equipped to do the job. “He told me that if Theresa May could be prime minister, so could he.”

Who is he in "He told me" ? Hammond, or Osborne ?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Agree - except the GE will be in 2022 (or 21 if that's when the FTPA triggers it). There's unlikely to be much 'good news' between now & then - so I reckon the Tories will hang on as long as possible. Another measure of May's 'failure':

https://twitter.com/chrisg0000/status/878947158459916290
    Under proportional representation, her 2017 result would have been sensationally good.

FPTP is such a bummer.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2017
    I do not know that the snap election was the greatest strategic blunder since the fall of Singapore, but it is on a par with Ted Heath's snap election of February 1974. A study of that period ought to have given Mrs May a stark warning.

We don't do temporary PMs and the idea is a non-starter. Hammond is the best man available so let him take the job, preferably unopposed. But there is no need for him to pre-announce his resignation.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Could they sort it out this week? Ta muchly.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

I like the comment:

That is so utterly uninspiring that it has the ring of something Phil Hammond would say.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    I'll be delighted if it is spreadsheet Phil. Someone who will argue for the economy will be much better than TM.

Also - it fits my book beautifully.
  • Options

Reminds me of the hilarious singing of soccer fans in the nineties whenever Arsenal and England full back Lee Dixon took to the field:

I have a friend who worked out in the middle east. His kids came back from school and said their games teacher claims to have played for England. When he asked his name they said Mr palmer.

A few weeks later he was invited to a kick about where Mr palmer was going to join in. when he turned up he realised Mr palmer was in fact Carlton palmer, who proceeded to give all the middle aged dad's the total run around.
  • Options

Did may's former advisers pick the england T20 team? The tail is longer than a giraffes neck.

Roy on a life already, dropped from a skier, and it's carnage in Baku on my other screen in the F1

Aaargh!
  • Options

Spreadsheet Phil is one of the worst public speakers in the party. He's been around the block but can someone tell me what Grey Phil has done or achieved in any of his ministerial posts? As far as I can tell he's a no talent, no charisma, no hoper.

The Tories need to hold their nerve and get a decent successor ready for post Brexit to take on Corbyn. Someone young, fresh and dynamic is needed but in two years not now.

Another two years of Theresa May? Surely electoral suicide.
  • Options

To be fair, Cameron moved him from shadow chief secretary to the treasury where the was good to looking after the cones hotline.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Roy on a life already, dropped from a skier, and it's carnage in Baku on my other screen in the F1

Aaargh!
    And gone....
  • Options
    Chris said:

Perhaps but replacing May with Hammond now is certain electoral suicide.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

By the QS vote would suit me too.
  • Options
    Well Roy gone, good job we have bairstow, morgan, stokes and Ali to come in......Oh wait.
  • Options
    Lewis on the radio complaining about the safety car driving so slowly. I'm not sure that Bernd Maylander in the Mercedes AMG GT sees it that way!
  • Options
    John McDonnell today claimed the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire were 'murdered by political decisions' made by ministers.

Stay classy...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Lewis on the radio complaining about the safety car driving so slowly. I'm not sure that Bernd Maylander in the Mercedes AMG GT sees it that way!

Yes there will be words about that afterwards LOL

And the carnage continues. I am so grateful that I was too busy to do a proper betting effort on this race. I'd be all over the place if I had!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    Fantastic fun in Baku!!!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    It could be 4 Tory Prime Ministers in 4 years if Spreadsheet Phil only does a couple of years and then stands down: Cameron, May, Hammond, unknown successor.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Sandpit said:

No. But I've had 3 nibbles on Riccardo at 66/1, 100/1, 100/1.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I have a friend who worked out in the middle east. His kids came back from school and said their games teacher claims to have played for England. When he asked his name they said Mr palmer.

A few weeks later he was invited to a kick about where Mr palmer was going to join in. when he turned up he realised Mr palmer was in fact Carlton palmer, who proceeded to give all the middle aged dad's the total run around.
    That's a great story, and perhaps I should add that Mr Palmer was at his peak widey regarded as one of the worst players ever to don an England shirt!

Dixon used to annoy me especially though because I used to play full-back, and I reckon I was every bit as skilful as him, just a lot less fit.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

You surprise me. Can you really see her standing before the Tory Party Conference this autumn?

Really?
    She couldn't face Woman's Hour, so I cannot see tthe conference being appealing to her!

I reckon she will be a footnote in history by the end of the summer.
  • Options

It could be 4 Tory Prime Ministers in 4 years if Spreadsheet Phil only does a couple of years and then stands down: Cameron, May, Hammond, unknown successor.

Another reason why it shouldn't happen. I see David Davis also thinks it would be a disaster. Nail in the coffin for that particular plan surely?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

That's a great story, and perhaps I should add that Mr Palmer was at his peak widey regarded as one of the worst players ever to don an England shirt!

Dixon used to annoy me especially though because I used to play full-back, and I reckon I was every bit as skilful as him, just a lot less fit.
    Absolutely my friend and all his mates remembered palmer as the lanky and uncoordinated disaster of a midfielder for england...But against mere mortals he had them on their knees in the heat in no time, even though he was in his 40s.
  • Options
    Red flags in the Baku race!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

And the carnage continues. I am so grateful that I was too busy to do a proper betting effort on this race. I'd be all over the place if I had!
    This is the chaos we all expected last year that never materialised. The support races have also been carnage. The only bet I made on this one was an Ayrton on the safety car at 1/4, I couldn't find odds on a red flag but we've got that now as they get the brooms out!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Corbynistas there too?
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I*n 1957, we had had three Tory prime ministers in two years, Churchill, Eden and Macmillan. It did not stop the Tories winning by a landslide in 1959. I am not sure that it would be a good idea to make someone prime minister like Hammond, who resembles in appearance and personality a below average deputy manager of an ASDA supermarket, and it would be an even worse idea to annoint him with the poison chalice proviso that his own party do not have the confidence in him to win a general election in 2019 -which seems to be the almost certain date of the next general election. The problem for the Tories is that they have no stars at all capable of reviving their fortunes, and the problem for Labour is that they are led by a vain fanatic bound to disappoint the vast hopes placed in him by his followers.
  • Options

Chris said:

Yes, but it's a quicker death.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Corbynistas there too?
    Piling up votes where it doesn't matter! :)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    A genuinely stupid race in Baku. Great fun...!
  • Options
    England do realise this is a T20 match?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    PeterC said:

I do not know that the snap election was the greatest strategic blunder since the fall of Singapore, but it is on a par with Ted Heath's snap election of February 1974. A study of that period ought to have given Mrs May a stark warning.

We don't do temporary PMs and the idea is a non-starter. Hammond is the best man available so let him take the job, preferably unopposed. But there is no need for him to pre-announce his resignation.

May was already a Conservative party member in the seventies. She presumably remembers Heath's gamble.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

This is the chaos we all expected last year that never materialised. The support races have also been carnage. The only bet I made on this one was an Ayrton on the safety car at 1/4, I couldn't find odds on a red flag but we've got that now as they get the brooms out!
    Now I can concentrate on the screen with the cricket .... which also won't end well I fear.

Hales! Ouch! Side of the knee impact.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Looks like Mr Vettel is going to get a black flag, judging by that replay.
  • Options

England do realise this is a T20 match?

And T20 means no runner for Hales.
  • Options

John McDonnell today claimed the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire were 'murdered by political decisions' made by ministers.

Stay classy...

Not a very statesmanlike statement by a man who wished that a former British prime minister had been assassinated, who though the murderers of the IRA were heroes, and who quoted the biggest mass murderer in history -Mao-in speeches in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Stanley Johnson is a writer. In other times he might have been known as a clerk.

So the way things are heading right now, the Tory leadership will be May, then Hammond, followed by a Clerk's son.

After Brexit, Britain is certainly getting into top gear.

• Options

Absolutely my friend and all his mates remembered palmer as the lanky and uncoordinated disaster of a midfielder for england...But against mere mortals he had them on their knees in the heat in no time, even though he was in his 40s.
    Don't doubt it at all. The difference between your domestic player and even a top amateur is colossal. And a professional is vastly superior even to a top amateur.
  • Options

Chris said:

The Tories need to look to the bank benches or junior ranks for a new leader, not to aging mediocrities.
  • Options

Stanley Johnson is a writer. In other times he might have been known as a clerk.

So the way things are heading right now, the Tory leadership will be May, then Hammond, followed by a Clerk's son.

After Brexit, Britain is certainly getting into top gear.

That's very good :)
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    It would be very, very stupid for senior Conservatives to turn around and stab in the back the first leader in a quarter century to achieve more than 40% of the vote, all because they are so enamoured with the European Union in everything but name.

The vast, vast majority of our voter base and our activist base want to leave the European Union, limit immigration, write our own laws, be under our own courts and to sign our own trade deals. Spreadsheet Phil's EU plans do not do any of that, and the only thing they would achieve is to remove our voting power in EU bodies. They will lose a huge chunk of the Conservative vote. They still would not win any of the people who will not forgive the Tories for the referendum in the first place and they would not win any of the Corbyn voters who think we can spend beyond our means in perpetuity.

It would lead to a defeat to Jeremy Corbyn. What is worst is the Tories would deserve it.
  • Options
    Who is this David Malan character? I'm a fairly keen cricket follower and I've never heard of him. He doesn't play for Middlesex by any chance? Whenever a player is picked out of the blue for England, it seems they always come from Middlesex.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    GeoffM said:

Corbyn going down well there too? (Oops...slow. I'll get me coat.)
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Even if you accepted your frame of the argument, which I do not at all. a quicker death for the Conservatives would be national suicide with Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    "Ministers said this weekend that Hammond should be anointed.."

So, he's started talking to himself while queuing for the Times snitch line

The rest of the cabinet surely can't have forgotten he was the bloke who cocked up his 1st budget by forgetting to read the manifesto.

Well I suppose it makes his predecessor look good, which is why we are reading it here.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

Who is this David Malan character? I'm a fairly keen cricket follower and I've never heard of him. He doesn't play for Middlesex by any chance? Whenever a player is picked out of the blue for England, it seems they always come from Middlesex.

I had never heard of him either!

Edit: shambolic catch attempt by the Saffers. Chortle.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

PeterC said:

May was already a Conservative party member in the seventies. She presumably remembers Heath's gamble.
    She would certainly have known about it but it seems she did not learn from it, in respect of the unwisdom of vanity elections.
  • Options

Don't blame him, he would have to bowl to buttler with 13 overs to go ;-)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    stevef said:

Chris said:

The Tories need to look to the bank benches or junior ranks for a new leader, not to aging mediocrities.
    Why? The ageing mediocrity approach hasn't been a complete disaster for Labour.

And there is no Tory who approaches Corbyn in either age or mediocrity.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Even if you accepted your frame of the argument, which I do not at all. a quicker death for the Conservatives would be national suicide with Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister.
    It was a joke. Sorry but I cannot do emoticons, so cannot readily flag jokes, teases and the like.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

stevef said:

Chris said:

David Davis is actually a few months older.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    David Davis confident May will remain PM and he'll get a free trade deal :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

David Davis confident May will remain PM and he'll get a free trade deal :)

Right, so that's her gone. Who's next in?

(Joke, CB.)
  • Options

Essex are top of the County Championship table, due in no small measure to the batting performances of 19yo David Lawrence. If Morgan is anxious to 'build for the future', you'd think he might have been a better option.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2017

Don't mind immediate timeframe too much but anyone but Boris.

Preferably Hammond.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stevef said:

Chris said:

Corbyn isn't mediocre.

That's just an illusion produced by the dazzling array of talent on the Tory front bench. ROTFLMAOOWIMTB.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Alistair said:

Don't mind immediate timeframe too much but anyone but Boris.

Preferably Hammond.
    Hammond this week please.
  • Options
    Good catch to get Hales for 36 - Miller is a good fielder.
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stevef said:

Chris said:

Corbyn isn't mediocre.

That's just an illusion produced by the dazzling array of talent on the Tory front bench. ROTFLMAOOWIMTB.
    Do you remember the good old days, Chris, when we used to spend hours on PB chortling about the lack of talent in the Labour ranks? My how we laughed!

Do you think those happy times will ever return?
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238

I look back wistfully on the days when Carlton Palmer sported the Sky Blue shirt in much the same way as I look back on the Thatcher Administration and 100+ seat majorities. Better times.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Can someone please tell me in what ways Hammond has more electoral appeal than May?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Danny565 said:

Can someone please tell me in what ways Hammond has more electoral appeal than May?

1. He is not May.

2. Errrr.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    People still desperate to come to UK despite Brexit

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/878985660069183488
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stevef said:

Chris said:

Corbyn isn't mediocre.

Do you remember the good old days, Chris, when we used to spend hours on PB chortling about the lack of talent in the Labour ranks? My how we laughed!

Yes due to a bit of help, when the PB Tories asked all their mates for a laugh to pay £3 to vote for Corbyn.How they laughed and chortled and posted what they had done on here.Spiffingly good wheeze they said.
  • Options

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stevef said:

Chris said:

Corbyn isn't mediocre.

It was only about a month ago, wasn't it?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Danny565 said:

He probably doesn't, but the plotting involves him being leader for two years and then someone else facing the electorate.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Cashing out at 1/20.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    I still think the Tories are mostly missing the point. Their problem with the electorate is that they don't really stand for anything - half-hearted about Brexit, half-hearted about deficit reduction, niggardly about public services, not really passionately for anything. Do they worry about that? No, they worry about whether May or Hammond or David might be a bit better at getting votes. Unless they are identified with something that people want, they'll all be a bit crap.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Cashing out at 1/20.
    Well done!!
  • Options
    England not going to make enough runs here.
  • Options
    Cricviz model is horribly broken, they have england at 72% for the win. Total nonsense.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cashing out at 1/20.
    Well done!!
    Got lucky with Lewis and vettel having to pit.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I still think the Tories are mostly missing the point. Their problem with the electorate is that they don't really stand for anything - half-hearted about Brexit, half-hearted about deficit reduction, niggardly about public services, not really passionately for anything. Do they worry about that? No, they worry about whether May or Hammond or David might be a bit better at getting votes. Unless they are identified with something that people want, they'll all be a bit crap.

Difficult and conflicting priorities have to be balanced. So of course they are not 'passionate' about any one of them. Better that than passionately wanting to wreck the economy, as John McDonnell does.
  • Options
    It's a good job england bat deep...Oh wait....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic, the Hammond/DD combo is one I've suggested. What I think it comes down to is whether Conservative MPs think that Theresa May is so completely damaged that she simply won't be able to do the job, and in particular that she will be seen by our EU friends as incapable of overseeing Brexit. If so, then irrespective of anything else, she would have to replaced soon and it would have to be a men-in-grey-suits job, because there is no time for a full contest. Alternatively, if they think she can recover sufficient credibility to continue until 2019, when a proper contest could be held, then that would I think be seen as the better option. Neither option is very palatable, but we are where we are.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Difficult and conflicting priorities have to be balanced. So of course they are not 'passionate' about any one of them. Better that than passionately wanting to wreck the economy, as John McDonnell does.
    I am not convinced in the modern populist political world that the Tory fondness for dull competence works, particularly when dull but incompetent like May.

Phil Hammond would be a significant improvement over May, and is perhaps the only one willing for the hospital pass of Brexit. DD would be a better bet though as he actually does believe in Brexit.
  • Options
    181-8 at 9.05. Hmmm, where's my money going before the resumption?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cashing out at 1/20.
    Well done!!
    A little lucky but they all count! What a mad race :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stevef said:

Chris said:

I think Corbyn is not so much a mediocrity as a fanatic. Hammond blends un-noticed into the wallpaper, Corbyn rabble rouses against the very concept of bourgeois wallpaper. Put Hammond against Corbyn and its not much of a choice, but Corbyn would triumph by default.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: by weird coincidence I decided to take notes of the race (only second time I've done this). Will probably prove quite useful writing it up.

Bet was red, alas. I had £2 on Perez to win at 201. He would've, but for a needless collision...

Anyway, don't want to say much more due to spoilers. A very hectic race.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cashing out at 1/20.
    Well done!!
    A little lucky but they all count! What a mad race :D
    Is there any chance of that awful circuit being dropped next season?
  • Options
    I guess this moment was what Lawrence Stroll paid $25m for!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited June 2017
    Mr. M, I'd guess the contract will run a little longer.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Sandpit, Lance*.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: by weird coincidence I decided to take notes of the race (only second time I've done this). Will probably prove quite useful writing it up.

Bet was red, alas. I had £2 on Perez to win at 201. He would've, but for a needless collision...

Anyway, don't want to say much more due to spoilers. A very hectic race.

Good luck writing that one up, to describe it as a hectic race is something of an understatement!
  • Options

Mr. M, I'd guess the contract will run a little longer.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Sandpit, Lance*.

Lawrence, Mr Stroll Sr, who bought the drive for his son.
This discussion has been closed.