Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first local by election since GE17 – the results

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    tlg86 said:

I think they could have left it tonight.

Making the decision in the evening of a Friday seems very odd and a little unsettling.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

tlg86 said:

I think they could have left it tonight.

Sky saying it is chaos and on a friday night.
    Owen Jones will be down there in a minute to opine - surely...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,317
    Rigby saying Govt could come in for criticism if some councils evacuate and others don't.

I thought we were meant to have local democracy - should we just scrap local councils completely and run everything from the centre?

Of course Govt / Parliament must set laws / standards but surely local councils must manage their own areas.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    MikeL said:

Rigby saying Govt could come in for criticism if some councils evacuate and others don't.

I thought we were meant to have local democracy - should we just scrap local councils completely and run everything from the centre?

Of course Govt / Parliament must set laws / standards but surely local councils must manage their own areas.

I was just thinking the same. It's localism v postcode lottery.
  • Options
    One for the Blairites. Camden council leader Georgia Gould is Lord Goulds daughter.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MikeL said:

One thing I can guarantee is, no matter what happens, no matter how well or badly handled, that TMay and the Tories will come in for criticism.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,401
    MikeL said:

Rigby is a one person expert and opinion former ( in her own mind). Earlier she said the council was acting on government advice received a few days ago and to evacuate if necessary
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    There is literally no end to how much you can worry about fire safety.
    I'm sitting in our flat which I got rewired last year. In the downstairs flat the electrics literally haven't been touched in 60 years. Her appliances look very old as well. Should I be worrying about that?
    In the last flat we lived in the place was full of alcoholics who did things like fall asleep while cooking themselves breakfast at 4 am in the morning, resulting in the fire brigade called out regularly. We were on the top floor and there was no easy way down if the stairwell filled up with smoke.
    Having looked in to this, I think the requirements of the 2005 legislation are basically sound, they require most multi occupancy buildings to have fire risk assessments undertaken. The trouble is that many buildings don't have the assessments undertaken and the whole thing is not taken particularly seriously by freeholders/ owners. Red tape/bureaucracy.
    I wonder if 1960's high rise council blocks are really viable as low cost housing. The cost of retrofitting them to current building regs standards for new buildings of the same size must be enormous.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MJW said:

Yorkcity said:

isam said:

Cammo should've stuck to his guns. How Remainers must hate him for his misjudgement

https://twitter.com/leaveeuofficial/status/878252028954333187

In fact, you can make a case that the entire decision to leave the EU is a consequence of poor politicians failing to manage their own party zealots.
    And you know, just the small matter of 17 million people actually voting for it....

• Options

MikeL said:

One thing I can guarantee is, no matter what happens, no matter how well or badly handled, that TMay and the Tories will come in for criticism.

Tricky for Lab front bench to do so whilst they're all in a field in the west country somewhere.... ....
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Can anyone explain the reason why we would want ECJ to have jurisdiction. Is there any benefit to us? Why is Corbyn enthusiastic?

Because then they'll give us a trade deal.
    Can you imagine that the ECJ can rule on some UK citizens rights over and above our Supreme Court.

The Country will just not accept it
    We'll see.
    Genuinely do you think the population will accept an outside jurisdiction for some of it's ciitizens
    It is the EU. I don't recall them giving us any problems for the last 40 years. And we'll be rejoining soon.
  • Options

Can anyone explain the reason why we would want ECJ to have jurisdiction. Is there any benefit to us? Why is Corbyn enthusiastic?

Can you imagine that the ECJ can rule on some UK citizens rights over and above our Supreme Court.

We'll see.
    Genuinely do you think the population will accept an outside jurisdiction for some of it's ciitizens
    It is the EU. I don't recall them giving us any problems for the last 40 years. And we'll be rejoining soon.
    If you say so
  • Options

One for the Blairites. Camden council leader Georgia Gould is Lord Goulds daughter.

Unbelievable. Well, she's got herself a tough job now. I hope she's up to it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Don't think she's made many friends in the tower blocks tonight, although they might see her side of it after the initial scare of tonight subsides and the logistics are right.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2017/06/23/the-next-step-for-progress/

Not sure if this was picked up previously, but Lord Sainsbury is no longer funding Progress. This must be quite a big blow for labour moderates.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Just catching up on the Tory party leadership campaign docu-drama. Great fun!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Don't think she's made many friends in the tower blocks tonight, although they might see her side of it after the initial scare of tonight subsides and the logistics are right.
    To be fair, she fronted up to the media tonight. DCLG needs to coordinate with other councils to make sure that if others think they need to do this too, that the decision is coordinated so as not to create further panic.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,861

We'll see.
    I would have absolutely no preference between the UK Supreme Court or the ECJ - why should I? I believe they are equally likely to be filled with fair-minded, knowledgable people who are committed to serving others and applying the law. I'd also recognise that both have a (probably equally) very small chance of being corrupted. I doubt I am alone in that view.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

MikeL said:

She could do no wrong before the election. Was similar to Brown and Labour after he bottled calling a snap election...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804

MikeL said:

Tricky for Lab front bench to do so whilst they're all in a field in the west country somewhere.... ....
    Forming a thicket?
  • Options
    Blimey - live on Sky now - two lads heard the evacuation from Sky news
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452
    edited June 2017

We'll see.
    I would have absolutely no preference between the UK Supreme Court or the ECJ - why should I? I believe they are equally likely to be filled with fair-minded, knowledgable people who are committed to serving others and applying the law. I'd also recognise that both have a (probably equally) very small chance of being corrupted. I doubt I am alone in that view.
    I would have no preference between them (although ironically because I believe each to be equally useless and corrupt). However I am a strong believer that everyone is equal before the law. One legal system, enforced by one legislative body. States that have more than one are not sovereign states and more pertinently are not fair or just states. It's rather disturbing that the obvious parallels to the system the EU is proposing that spring to mind are apartheid South Africa, the West Bank and Troubles-era Northern Ireland.

Of course the EU is a long way from being Israel, or Pretoria or even the Maze. But it sets an unhappy precedent and is an absolutely ridiculous demand. If anything could make me regret my Remain vote it is the arrogant and petulant way the EU has behaved since the vote over issues like this.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

To be fair, she fronted up to the media tonight. DCLG needs to coordinate with other councils to make sure that if others think they need to do this too, that the decision is coordinated so as not to create further panic.
    Oh she's very impressive on camera, but the haste this is being done in is weird, residents being interviewed knew nothing until they put the news on half an hour ago and had letters this morning just saying the cladding would be fixed.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    nunu said:

She could do no wrong before the election. Was similar to Brown and Labour after he bottled calling a snap election...

Indeed. No doubt she'll be to blame for one of the towers evacuated today, which was refurbed with cladding in 2000.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MikeL said:

Forming a thicket?
    Ouch!

Or was that a clever pun on Jon Trickett?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Oh she's very impressive on camera, but the haste this is being done in is weird, residents being interviewed knew nothing until they put the news on half an hour ago and had letters this morning just saying the cladding would be fixed.
    Yeah, it seems a bit rushed. What's the urgency tonight? They could have employed a rentacop fire warden per floor to keep watch over the weekend while they organise things. Bizarre overreaction to me.
  • Options
    nrs3079nrs3079 Posts: 14

Blimey - live on Sky now - two lads heard the evacuation from Sky news

Wow, Sky news are loving this. Let's be fair these guys say they have been told nothing and then go on the tell the news they have been told to go to the local community centre to be rehouse. I really think we need to be a little more calm in these situation. 24 hour news channels only exchabeate the issue. I've even just heard on Sky news COBR should be convieved and that Mrs May should be taking charge. Please let's get a grip.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yeah, it seems a bit rushed. What's the urgency tonight? They could have employed a rentacop fire warden per floor to keep watch over the weekend while they organise things. Bizarre overreaction to me.
    Confusion over whether this is a mandatory evacuation. If not mandatory almost inexplicable it's been done on a Friday evening
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Agreed. What has happened in the last 24 hours to change their minds?

It doesn't sound as though the residents are at all happy (understandably) - some of them have lived in these blocks with this cladding for 17 years and are only now being told they might be burned alive?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MikeL said:

Forming a thicket?
    Think Corbyn et al living it up at Glastonbury tomorrow may not be too helpful to him

Sky even asking if something more 'sinister' is going on - no idea what they mean by that comment
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

It doesn't sound as though the residents are at all happy (understandably) - some of them have lived in these blocks with this cladding for 17 years and are only now being told they might be burned alive?
    The fallout from all this will be something to behold.
    There's talk of gas pipes in the stairwells on Sky from one resident which would make things very confusing and fractious in most blocks in the land.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

There's talk of gas pipes in the stairwells on Sky from one resident which would make things very confusing and fractious in most blocks in the land.
    Gas should have no place in high rise
  • Options

Omnium said:

MikeL said:

Forming a thicket?
    Think Corbyn et al living it up at Glastonbury tomorrow may not be too helpful to him

Sky even asking if something more 'sinister' is going on - no idea what they mean by that comment
    I'd suggest he doesn't go on stage to burnin down the house
  • Options
    edited June 2017

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That doesn't explain why they were claiming some of these blocks were safe just three hours ago, then changed their minds. It seems improbable to say the least that they will have found all of them simultaneously unsafe from a gas problem.

I suppose we are sure that it's genuine and not some kind of scam? I'm past being astonished.

I agree with the man saying now that it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Confusion over whether this is a mandatory evacuation. If not mandatory almost inexplicable it's been done on a Friday evening
    It's the combination of the newly revealed fire risk and the ongoing terrorist threat.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    ECJ has the potential to be a running low level sore for decades. Extra judiciality and the resentment that will cause and all that. Better surely both sides compromise on a joint court for "settled migrants"?

Lots of criticism (not all unjustified) we don't collectively know what we want from our relationship, but does the EU the other way round?
  • Options
    Interesting. Guy on Sky News saying that there have been fires in these blocks which have been contained.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995

I predicted that Brexit would lead to Corbyn becoming PM and that Trump would win. I predict that Brexit will be crushed under its own weight and that Eurosceptics won't show their face in mainstream British politics again.

Im still waiting for the plague frogs and te rivers turning to blood
    I'm still waiting for this:

' Today, we are setting out our assessment of what would happen in the weeks and months after a vote to Leave on June 23.

It is clear that there would be an immediate and profound shock to our economy.

The analysis produced by the Treasury today shows that a vote to leave will push our economy into a recession that would knock 3.6 per cent off GDP and, over two years, put hundreds of thousands of people out of work right across the country, compared to the forecast for continued growth if we vote to remain in the EU.

In a more severe shock scenario, Treasury economists estimate that our economy could be hit by 6 per cent, there would be a deeper recession and unemployment would rise by even more. '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/david-cameron-and-george-osborne-brexit-would-put-our-economy-in/

Instead we have this:

' Manufacturing firms reported that both their total and export order books had strengthened to multi-decade highs in June, according to the CBI’s latest Industrial Trends Survey.

•27% of manufacturers reported total order books to be above normal, and 12% said they were below normal, giving a rounded balance of +16%. This was the highest level seen in nearly three decades, since August 1988 (+17%)
    •23% of firms said their export order books were above normal, and 10% said they were below normal, giving a balance of +13%. This was the highest balance since June 1995 (+20%) '

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/manufacturing-demand-strengthens/
    As the BBC put it today, with wonderfully British understatement:

As it turned out, those predictions were a touch pessimistic.
    Falling oil prices and the recovery in the Eurozone both make the immediate economic outlook positive for us.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That doesn't explain why they were claiming some of these blocks were safe just three hours ago, then changed their minds. It seems improbable to say the least that they will have found all of them simultaneously unsafe.

I suppose we are sure that it's genuine and not some kind of scam? I'm past being astonished.

I agree with the man saying now that it's ridiculous.
    Resident now on saying this is utterly ludicrous, a total over reaction. Private tenant, not social housing.
    Georgia Gould and Co have made an awfully big call this evening.
    Guy told there are air beds at Swiss Cottage 'I'm not sleeping on an air bed'
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,317
    edited June 2017
    If "Conservative free market" leavers (ie those who voted to leave to get out of EU bureaucracy etc) were now given the choice of:

1) Remain in EU with a Cameron Govt, followed by a mainstream (eg Cooper) Lab Govt in 2020

2) Leave the EU with a Corbyn Govt

Which would they choose?

I suspect some may claim to choose 2) as Corbyn wouldn't be in power for ever - but would they really - he could do a lot of damage pretty quickly.

Many others would surely favour 1)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Omnium said:

MikeL said:

Forming a thicket?

One of my colleagues, who was a Corbynista long before it is fashionable, told me Corbyn has not had a great couple of weeks since the election. He said Corbyn has looked like a typical politician - greedy for power and arrogant. Which is not what he voted for.

Hubris killed Theresa May's career, I wonder if it's about to take it her opponent as well?
  • Options
    Small girl not happy her cat is safe as he's an indoor cat not an outdoor cat. Cute.
  • Options
    How much will it cost per night for 2,000 residents in a London Hotel - say £100 per night each = £200,000 x 4 weeks = £5.6 million.

• Options
    Save the Camden Cat!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    MikeL said:

If "Conservative free market" leavers (ie those who voted to leave to get out of EU bureaucracy etc) were now given the choice of:

1) Remain in EU with a Cameron Govt, followed by a mainstream (eg Cooper) Lab Govt in 2020

Which would they choose?

I suspect some may claim to choose 2) as Corbyn wouldn't be in power for ever - but would they really - he could do a lot of damage pretty quickly.

There is no damage the EU could possibly do that would exceed the negative impact of five months of Jeremy Corbyn and I think even most leavers have grasped that.

And no, I haven't forgotten Greece.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Interesting. Guy on Sky News saying that there have been fires in these blocks which have been contained.

Of course there have! I keep banging on about it, when I worked in the city, we used to get a flat fire a couple of times a week, and that was just my watch. I'm genuinely confused what the rush is to evacuate tonight.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Camden thing isn't about cladding I think, they'd already covered that off in a public meeting and letter. Something in the design of the buildings has caused them to conclude they cannot guarantee safety. They wouldn't be able to sort the cladding and make good in 4 weeks,
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Of course there have! I keep banging on about it, when I worked in the city, we used to get a flat fire a couple of times a week, and that was just my watch. I'm genuinely confused what the rush is to evacuate tonight.
    I think we must remember Politician's Logic:

1) We must do something.

2) This is something.

3) Therefore we must do this.
  • Options

Camden thing isn't about cladding I think, they'd already covered that off in a public meeting and letter. Something in the design of the buildings has caused them to conclude they cannot guarantee safety.

Councils are rightly concerned to ensure absolutely the safety of their residents in high rise blocks. And to avoid the fate of officers, and likely fate of councillors, in Kensington.
  • Options

Camden thing isn't about cladding I think, they'd already covered that off in a public meeting and letter. Something in the design of the buildings has caused them to conclude they cannot guarantee safety. They wouldn't be able to sort the cladding and make good in 4 weeks,

Resident clearly said she had been told it was the gas pipes on the landings
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Sean_F said:

Falling oil prices and the recovery in the Eurozone both make the immediate economic outlook positive for us.

You can make a good case that the period from 2008 to 2014 was like 1972 to 1979 for the developed world, with high commodity prices sending money from the developed world to commodity exporters. It resulted in terrible growth in Europe and the US.

When commodity prices subsided again, growth took off and the 1980s were great.

That being said, Britain exited the 1970s with a positive current account balance and a household savings rate of close to 15%. We now have a 3% savings rate and a massive current account deficit. We were a coiled spring in 1980, ready to benefit from a falling saving rate, lower commodity prices and structural reforms.

This time around our savings rate can only go in one direction. And that isn't going to be positive for economic growth. The economy - like all things - must balance over time. And we continue to get more and more unbalanced.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Camden thing isn't about cladding I think, they'd already covered that off in a public meeting and letter. Something in the design of the buildings has caused them to conclude they cannot guarantee safety.

Councils are rightly concerned to ensure absolutely the safety of their residents in high rise blocks. And to avoid the fate of officers, and likely fate of councillors, in Kensington.
    Yes I agree, but there is something clearly going on in Camden that has come to their attention today. They already knew about the cladding. In her statement Gould said things had been brought up in the public meeting she wasn't aware of and the fire officers were sent in today to check. As a result she has ordered them evacuated.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Which is not in itself an unreasonable position.

However, if they are then considered to have over-reacted and inconvenienced and terrified several thousand people for no good reason the second seems optimistic. So far the shambolic nature of the evacuation seems to be causing more irritation than the previous reassurances now abandoned.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Agreed as long as they have not over reacted. Residents not at all happy especially hearing it on Sky news
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,090
    tlg86 said:

The problem is that the next one might not be. Near-identical starting conditions with just one variant - say non-working batteries in a smoke alarm or the wind in another direction - might turn a small and easily contained fire into something much worse.

This must have been a really tough call. *If* gas is involved I can sort-of understand it, but even if that's the case surely another method could be found - for instance turning off the gas to all the flats and providing meals?

But we don't know the full facts.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921

tlg86 said:

At the end of the day - if there's even a 1% chance of another Grenfell it's worth evacuating?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The problem is that the next one might not be. Near-identical starting conditions with just one variant - say non-working batteries in a smoke alarm or the wind in another direction - might turn a small and easily contained fire into something much worse.

This must have been a really tough call. *If* gas is involved I can sort-of understand it, but even if that's the case surely another method could be found - for instance turning off the gas to all the flats and providing meals?

But we don't know the full facts.
    It's got to be much more than the cladding. Maybe LFB aren't happy with the fire alarm system, or exits or fire doors or stairwell protection. Maybe all of those things. A full evacuation on a Friday night seems a bit urgent though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    MikeL said:

Which would they choose?

It's a tough ask. Real tough. (And yes I have reduced my exposure to UK assets such is the threat he represents and I am taking steps to extend that).

But at least with our democracy we still have a corrective mechanism no matter how awful Corbyn's delusional economics. The Greeks gave theirs away in a fit of misplaced Euro enthusiasm and then found it didn't matter how radical a solution they chose, as the levers of change had gone.

The biggest whopper of Brexit was the unspoken one of what the "remain status quo" was/is/will be? What will "ever closer union" look like in detail? How would it be accountable? How does the media hold to account a governing a process taking place on the Tower of Babel (imagine leaders' debates through simultaneous translation!)? There is no demos. There can be no real democracy, just a well intentioned bureaucracy at best. A 21st Century Austria Hungary with increasingly violent outbursts reflecting the frustrations of peoples denied a real voice.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

At the end of the day - if there's even a 1% chance of another Grenfell it's worth evacuating?
    Possibly.

But it might also be worth organising it with something vaguely akin to sophistication and competence? Letting the media know and not the residents smacks of spin and not safety.
  • Options
    Camden council not popular this evening it's safe to say.
  • Options
    In an earlier report the residents watched Glenfall blaze from their apartments in horror.

Interviewer again saying gas and cladding problem but not at all happy at the evacuation
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

I don't know. People are more aware now, smoke detectors can be checked and replaced, the council's could employ security to patrol the blocks. It's got to be much more than the cladding issue.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Possibly.

But it might also be worth organising it with something vaguely akin to sophistication and competence? Letting the media know and not the residents smacks of spin and not safety.
    I can easily imagine how it is difficult to inform all residents first - especially if something has to be done urgently. This might be overcaution - but it's surely not spin. They aren't looking competent because of this...
  • Options
    Aaaaaand resident points out its council residents being treated like dirt and told to get out at no notice when 4 years ago Camden and fire officers signed off on the tower.
    To Quote him 'someone got a wad of cash and bought a nice villa'
    Optics, Dear boy, optics
  • Options

Camden council not popular this evening it's safe to say.

Ironic really but it does seem to be an enormous cock up in communication to the residents
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Which is not in itself an unreasonable position.

However, if they are then considered to have over-reacted and inconvenienced and terrified several thousand people for no good reason the second seems optimistic. So far the shambolic nature of the evacuation seems to be causing more irritation than the previous reassurances now abandoned.
    My Council too is in the midst of all this. Local government is acting on the basis of an indication from central government that money is no object in dealing with this crisis. A degree of overreaction is inevitable, I suspect, but that's politics, and is a compensating consequence of the apparent underreacfion in Kensington. Doing too much is clearly preferable to doing too little given the horrendous events at Grenfell, which all of us want to do everything we can to ensure can never happen again.
  • Options
    nrs3079nrs3079 Posts: 14
    Had to switch off Sky News and I switched on bbc1 and found the v funny Tracy Ullman. A nice bit of light relief.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

You can make a good case that the period from 2008 to 2014 was like 1972 to 1979 for the developed world, with high commodity prices sending money from the developed world to commodity exporters. It resulted in terrible growth in Europe and the US.

That being said, Britain exited the 1970s with a positive current account balance and a household savings rate of close to 15%. We now have a 3% savings rate and a massive current account deficit. We were a coiled spring in 1980, ready to benefit from a falling saving rate, lower commodity prices and structural reforms.

This time around our savings rate can only go in one direction. And that isn't going to be positive for economic growth. The economy - like all things - must balance over time. And we continue to get more and more unbalanced.
    True, but it's preferable to rising oil prices and no growth in the Eurozone.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Possibly.

You mean someone's playing politics with this?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

MikeL said:

Which would they choose?

It's a tough ask. Real tough. (And yes I have reduced my exposure to UK assets such is the threat he represents and I am taking steps to extend that).

But at least with our democracy we still have a corrective mechanism no matter how awful Corbyn's delusional economics. The Greeks gave theirs away in a fit of misplaced Euro enthusiasm and then found it didn't matter how radical a solution they chose, as the levers of change had gone.

The biggest whopper of Brexit was the unspoken one of what the "remain status quo" was/is/will be? What will "ever closer union" look like in detail? How would it be accountable? How does the media hold to account a governing a process taking place on the Tower of Babel (imagine leaders' debates through simultaneous translation!)? There is no demos. There can be no real democracy, just a well intentioned bureaucracy at best. A 21st Century Austria Hungary with increasingly violent outbursts reflecting the frustrations of peoples denied a real voice.
    While there is no EU demos today, there wasn't a Swiss demos 150 years ago, and you could probably make the case that there's no Belgian demos today.

Demos emerge over time. It probably took 100 years from the war of independence before a meaningful US demos emerged (especially given the lack of mass communication).

Of course, that doesn't mean an EU demos will emerge, more likely it will break apart, or that only a portion of it (perhaps Germanic Europe and the Baltics) ends up as sort of rump EU. But my point is that lots of countries were political unions before they had their own demos.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

I don't know. People are more aware now, smoke detectors can be checked and replaced, the council's could employ security to patrol the blocks. It's got to be much more than the cladding issue.
    My fire service phoned me the other day to say our smoke detectors needed changing and they offered to come and fit them but instead they sent them and I fitted them easily. I don't know if this is a service just for us oldies
  • Options

Aaaaaand resident points out its council residents being treated like dirt and told to get out at no notice when 4 years ago Camden and fire officers signed off on the tower.
    To Quote him 'someone got a wad of cash and bought a nice villa'
    Optics, Dear boy, optics

Yes I heard that too
  • Options
    edited June 2017

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

My fire service phoned me the other day to say our smoke detectors needed changing and they offered to come and fit them but instead they sent them and I fitted them easily. I don't know if this is a service just for us oldies
    http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/HomeFireSafetyVisit.asp
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

We fit them for anyone who gives us a call, and we knock on doors asking as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Possibly.

I can easily imagine how it is difficult to inform all residents first - especially if something has to be done urgently. This might be overcaution - but it's surely not spin. They aren't looking competent because of this...
    I think it would be dead easy. Don't tell the media until you have spoken to the residents. It's not exactly hard. Yet the media seem to have got there ahead of the council officers.

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Possibly.

You mean someone's playing politics with this?
    As if a Labour council would ever play politics!

Pertinent point now from a very angry resident - why did they leave it to 8.30 on Friday to decide?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    edited June 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Of course, that doesn't mean an EU demos will emerge, more likely it will break apart, or that only a portion of it (perhaps Germanic Europe and the Baltics) ends up as sort of rump EU.

Can this be read as you predicting a >50% chance that the EU as a whole will break up? The experience since the Brexit vote shows just how strong and stable the EU as a political structure is. It's a permanent feature of European politics and we cannot avoid it's influence by giving up our influence within it.

Slightly relatedly, some good news:

https://twitter.com/ReutersJamie/status/878357627071320064
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

The extent of the use of this cladding and it's removal could cost the Country many countless billions.

Big tax rises look inevitable

I doubt it would be billions for replacement of the cladding systems. The entire refit of the Grenfell tower was £8.7 million, and according to Wiki the cladding part of the work cost £2.6 million. Given that it might just be a part-for-part replacement (unless they need to fix some form of structural 'chimney' effect) it should be a fairly straightforward job (or as straightforward as working at height can be).

If we take a cost of £2 million to replace the cladding, then 500 buildings could be done for a billion. Although having skilled people and kit to do the work might be a problem: they need to ensure the work's done properly, even if it means it takes time for them to be done.

Now, if they decide that grandfather rights for things like sprinklers in high-rise buildings are to be voided, then it may well get into billions.
    If the suspect cladding was put up under PFI. Why can't we knock the cost off the future PFI payments? They put the rubbish up, let them take the pain
    I doubt Grenfell Tower was under PFI, but it'll certainly be interesting to see who pays for any buildings that were built under PFI. I'm guessing if the cladding didn't meet the relevant codes when it was installed, then it's the PFI company's responsibility. If it was correct at the time of installation and it still needs changing, I daresay the lawyers will be earning a lot of money.
    That would be interesting as a standard commercial lease would not necessarily have the government as one party to the contract.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

We fit them for anyone who gives us a call, and we knock on doors asking as well.
    Is that for absolutely anyone? And what does it cost?

In the last week or so I've become acutely conscious my fire systems are umm, non-existent. If such a service is available I would be interested in using it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,090

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decision.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

True, but it's preferable to rising oil prices and no growth in the Eurozone.
    Yes, you're right.

Hopefully we can navigate the next two years, with the low oil price and rising Eurozone demand resulting in us achieving modest growth and allowing our savings rate to creep up.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Of course, that doesn't mean an EU demos will emerge, more likely it will break apart, or that only a portion of it (perhaps Germanic Europe and the Baltics) ends up as sort of rump EU.

Can this be read as you predicting a >50% chance that the EU as a whole will break up? The experience since the Brexit vote shows just how strong and stable the EU as a political structure is. It's a permanent feature of European politics and we cannot avoid it's influence by giving up our influence within it.

I don't think an imminent break up is likely. But the world and the EU economy will have another 2008-2015 period again at some point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

In the last week or so I've become acutely conscious my fire systems are umm, non-existent. If such a service is available I would be interested in using it.
    We do it for free. Just give your local service a call.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think an imminent break up is likely. But the world and the EU economy will have another 2008-2015 period again at some point.
    And why will the EU be less capable of weathering it than it was in 2008?

Of course next time any populist uprising will be met with a cautionary warning: Remember Brexit?
  • Options
    Enda Brady talking to Sophie Ridge on Sky just now saying 'the feeling is anger, absolutely livid that the first they knew was when it flashed up on their mobile phones from Sky news or watching their television in their homes and were being told thay had to evacuate their homes immediately'
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Are Radiohead the most overrated band ever to headline Glastonbury?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is Rolf Harris making a comeback appearance this year?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

We do it for free. Just give your local service a call.
    Thank you. That's well worth knowing. I will follow up directly.

Lovely old gentleman on Sky just now - very polite. He didn't deserve this mess. His neighbour doesn't sound at all happy.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

The thing is I didn't call them though they had fitted them some years ago
  • Options
    nrs3079 said:

Had to switch off Sky News and I switched on bbc1 and found the v funny Tracy Ullman. A nice bit of light relief.

Some of that show was brilliant. Instant classics.... not everyone obviously but some v clever ones and of course loved he lab mp moderate being interrogated by corbyn hq.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Public sector in keeping decent records shocker!
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Why not organise 24/7 fire marshalls at each block until the cladding is replaced? A couple of people patrolling inside & out with additional alarm systems.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Radiohead are the best band of the last 30 years.
    The National (playing tomorrow) are the second best.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

My service was free
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course next time any populist uprising will be met with a cautionary warning: Remember Brexit?
    Most political unions fail to become demos. A select few endure. The EU may, or may not, be one of those that endure.

Of course, all endurance is relative. One day the last human being to even know the meaning of the words "The United Kingdom" will die.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I've tried listening to Radiohead and I just can't get into them. There was a performance on Jools Holland about 10 years ago that I liked but I can't remember what the name of the song was.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Public sector in keeping decent records shocker!
    Good on the fire service

I remember the first time they came they turned up in their fire engine
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

In all the hundreds of thousands of wrong and ridiculous posts on PB, is that the singularly most wrong post of all time?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Most political unions fail to become demos. A select few endure. The EU may, or may not, be one of those that endure.

Of course, all endurance is relative. One day the last human being to even know the meaning of the words "The United Kingdom" will die.
    Given such a fatalistic view of history, for what reason would you support leaving the EU given that you are well aware that a large number of your fellow travellers are nuts and that there are very real risks on many levels? Let it be.
  • Options

@RCS1000
    Belgium is just a football team and a small army these days!

Seriously though, take the Swiss point but it has at heart been a German speaking country at heart (well its own version), with French and (small) Italian bolt ons.

India is the nearest thing I can think of, but it has a dominant and important religious hinterland a language in Hindi that getting on for half the population speak (and about half the rest speaking something related to it), at least a history of substantial long term unification of big parts of it( cf Mughal empire) and a common legal system and lingua franca inherited from the Brits ( as it happens).

My real objection to "Europe" is it will not melt into "Rome"( or a gigantic Switzerland) but be Austria reborn. Lovely wine. Great buildings. Lots of feathery hats. But a bit moth eaten compared to the Rest of the World and prone to violence as the Juncker of the 2040's insists to his populace(s) in foreign language he knows better.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I've tried listening to Radiohead and I just can't get into them. There was a performance on Jools Holland about 10 years ago that I liked but I can't remember what the name of the song was.
    I would start with The Bends if I was you. Listen to it about 20 times and you will soon love it.

Then I'd move on to OK Computer, before going back in time to enjoy Pablo Honey. After that, you'll be hooked and you'll listen to the rest. All their albums benefit from repeated listening.
This discussion has been closed.