Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first local by election since GE17 – the results

Comments

• Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

One for the Blairites. Camden council leader Georgia Gould is Lord Goulds daughter.

Must be one of the youngest leaders of a London borough at the tender age of 31.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Are Radiohead the most overrated band ever to headline Glastonbury?

Radiohead are the best band of the last 30 years.
    The National (playing tomorrow) are the second best.
    I've tried listening to Radiohead and I just can't get into them. There was a performance on Jools Holland about 10 years ago that I liked but I can't remember what the name of the song was.
    The Bends and OK Computer are both wonderful albums. I mean that in the traditional sense where the songs order and context hold together beautifully. There is also the classic politics related song electioneering

I will stop
    I will stop at nothing
    Say the right things
    When electioneering
    I trust I can rely on your vote

When I go forwards, you go backwards
    And somewhere we will meet
    When I go forwards, you go backwards
    And somewhere we will meet
    Ha, ha, ha

Riot shields
    Voodoo economics
    It's life, it's life
    It's just business
    Cattle prods and the I.M.F.
    I trust I can rely on your vote

• Options

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Interesting. Guy on Sky News saying that there have been fires in these blocks which have been contained.

Of course there have! I keep banging on about it, when I worked in the city, we used to get a flat fire a couple of times a week, and that was just my watch. I'm genuinely confused what the rush is to evacuate tonight.
    At the end of the day - if there's even a 1% chance of another Grenfell it's worth evacuating?
    I don't know. People are more aware now, smoke detectors can be checked and replaced, the council's could employ security to patrol the blocks. It's got to be much more than the cladding issue.
    My fire service phoned me the other day to say our smoke detectors needed changing and they offered to come and fit them but instead they sent them and I fitted them easily. I don't know if this is a service just for us oldies
    We fit them for anyone who gives us a call, and we knock on doors asking as well.
    The thing is I didn't call them though they had fitted them some years ago
    Public sector in keeping decent records shocker!
    Good on the fire service

I remember the first time they came they turned up in their fire engine
    It's the task of operational crews to do the fire safety advice and fitting the smoke detectors, we don't have any spare bodies to go out and do it. We often get halfway through fitting one and have to down tools and run back to the appliance to go on a call. A pain in the arse when you're on the 8th floor of a block of flats!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

In all the hundreds of thousands of wrong and ridiculous posts on PB, is that the singularly most wrong post of all time?
    Without question. Even in the PB Tories' nadir, when Tim was running rings around them day after excruciating day, we never witnessed such unmitigated incorrectitude.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

I would start with The Bends if I was you. Listen to it about 20 times and you will soon love it.

Alternatively, stick pins into your eyes. You will learn to love that much sooner than 20 repetitions.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

One for the Blairites. Camden council leader Georgia Gould is Lord Goulds daughter.

Must be one of the youngest leaders of a London borough at the tender age of 31.
    Nepotism is alive and well within the Labour party
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

In all the hundreds of thousands of wrong and ridiculous posts on PB, is that the singularly most wrong post of all time?
    I should be grateful that my thread header comparing Corbyn to Trump and Tsipras but concluding he would still get annihilated at an election because his policies were basically unpopular was turned down...
  • Options
    @JournoStephen: If you want a picture of the future, imagine an ethically-sourced sandal stamping on a human face--for ever.
    https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/878362609602486273
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    I hope the Leisure Centre is safe.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453
    tlg86 said:

I hope the Leisure Centre is safe.

Given some of the sentiments being expressed it would clearly not be safe for Lady Gould!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry you don't like them.

But let me make the case for them, from statistics.

Spotify publishes detailed data on who listens to what. Of albums older than 10 years, there are three absolute standouts in terms of playtime. And that's albums from:

The Beatles, Paul Simon / Simon & Garfunkel, and Radiohead.

Everything else is just noise. They are the only people who's music has really lasted. Of course, that won't necessarily continue, and tastes change. But it's worth noting that people who like them really, really like them.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited June 2017
    LFB must have an issue with the whole fire safety systems of those blocks.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course, that doesn't mean an EU demos will emerge, more likely it will break apart, or that only a portion of it (perhaps Germanic Europe and the Baltics) ends up as sort of rump EU.

Can this be read as you predicting a >50% chance that the EU as a whole will break up? The experience since the Brexit vote shows just how strong and stable the EU as a political structure is. It's a permanent feature of European politics and we cannot avoid it's influence by giving up our influence within it.

Slightly relatedly, some good news:

https://twitter.com/ReutersJamie/status/878357627071320064
    I don't think an imminent break up is likely. But the world and the EU economy will have another 2008-2015 period again at some point.
    And why will the EU be less capable of weathering it than it was in 2008?

Of course next time any populist uprising will be met with a cautionary warning: Remember Brexit?
    Most political unions fail to become demos. A select few endure. The EU may, or may not, be one of those that endure.

Of course, all endurance is relative. One day the last human being to even know the meaning of the words "The United Kingdom" will die.
    Given such a fatalistic view of history, for what reason would you support leaving the EU given that you are well aware that a large number of your fellow travellers are nuts and that there are very real risks on many levels? Let it be.
    But you and your fellow travellers are religious fundamentalists. The EU can do no wrong and integration leads us to paradise,
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But it's worth noting that people who like them really, really like them.

So Radiohead are like Corbyn.

Doesn't make them the greatest band of the last 30 years. Sorry.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    NPR News reporting that there will be an investigation into the make of fridge which allegedly started the tower fire.

Will it end up as a cold case file?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Just curious - given the news that 800 households are to be evacuated in one London borough alone - are people here still sanguine that this can all be managed without any difficulty? Or is it there any feeling that emergency measures may indeed need to taken?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Bay City Rollers the best?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm, one benefits from repeated listening, and the other doesn't. I'm not sure your comparison is apt.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I occasionally drank in the same pub as one of the Rollers
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407
    Chris said:

Just curious - given the news that 800 households are to be evacuated in one London borough alone - are people here still sanguine that this can all be managed without any difficulty? Or is it there any feeling that emergency measures may indeed need to taken?

Seems the councils are acting on the government directive sent to them a few days ago
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Chris said:

Last year London grew by 330 people per day. Even at 5 people per household (double the national average) that's less than two weeks worth of growth.
  • Options
    High and Dry by Radiohead is a great track, but it's ancient
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm, one benefits from repeated listening, and the other doesn't. I'm not sure your comparison is apt.

They both peddle the same repetitive dirge
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course, that doesn't mean an EU demos will emerge, more likely it will break apart, or that only a portion of it (perhaps Germanic Europe and the Baltics) ends up as sort of rump EU.

Can this be read as you predicting a >50% chance that the EU as a whole will break up? The experience since the Brexit vote shows just how strong and stable the EU as a political structure is. It's a permanent feature of European politics and we cannot avoid it's influence by giving up our influence within it.

I don't think an imminent break up is likely. But the world and the EU economy will have another 2008-2015 period again at some point.

Of course next time any populist uprising will be met with a cautionary warning: Remember Brexit?
    Most political unions fail to become demos. A select few endure. The EU may, or may not, be one of those that endure.

Of course, all endurance is relative. One day the last human being to even know the meaning of the words "The United Kingdom" will die.
    Given such a fatalistic view of history, for what reason would you support leaving the EU given that you are well aware that a large number of your fellow travellers are nuts and that there are very real risks on many levels? Let it be.
    Leavers and their fellow travellers are religious fundamentalists. The EU can do no right and isolation leads us to paradise,
    Fixed for you Sean.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

I note that you misqouted me the other night predicting a stockmarket crash in 2015. Check the record and you'll find that I've been bullish on US stocks since May 2014. We need a slight correction right now, and we should hit some resistance when the Dow gets around the 23,000 area. But I think it's going to go to nearly 40,000........and then the trouble will come! But that is miles off yet, one heck of a phase transition into a mega bull market is setting itself up, once capital flies out of the bond market as the global sovereign debt crisis finally gets underway. I grant you the fact that its taking longer to get going than I though - it seems to be a very right translated cycle in the jargon, but get going it will.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

I occasionally drank in the same pub as one of the Rollers
    You might want to keep that quiet Scott
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leavers and their fellow travellers are religious fundamentalists. The EU can do no right and isolation leads us to paradise,
    Fixed for you Sean.
    I wouldn't make that assertion.

But, I think that we should be ruled by a government that is accountable exclusively to our own voters, which is seen as heresy by some people.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

I note that you misqouted me the other night predicting a stockmarket crash in 2015. Check the record and you'll find that I've been bullish on US stocks since May 2014. We need a slight correction right now, and we should hit some resistance when the Dow gets around the 23,000 area. But I think it's going to go to nearly 40,000........and then the trouble will come! But that is miles off yet, one heck of a phase transition into a mega bull market is setting itself up, once capital flies out of the bond market as the global sovereign debt crisis finally gets underway. I grant you the fact that its taking longer to get going than I though - it seems to be a very right translated cycle in the jargon, but get going it will.
    I don't believe I did. I think I referenced your forecast of a government bond crisis lady autumn.
  • Options
    I've banned Scott_P for being rude about Radiohead.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

- and stalking a Bay City Roller?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

This site has to have standards.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't believe I did. I think I referenced your forecast of a government bond crisis lady autumn.
    Is she the glamorous aunt of Duchess Spring?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Is she the glamorous aunt of Duchess Spring?
    AutoCorrect
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

Chris said:

Last year London grew by 330 people per day. Even at 5 people per household (double the national average) that's less than two weeks worth of growth.
    But looking at it another way, are there 800 empty social dwellings in Camden? Or in other London boroughs, if Camden is not untypical?

When it was just a question of the surviving inhabitants of the Grenfell Tower, my first thought was "London can take it". But if there were, say, dozens of tower blocks whose inhabitants needed to be rehoused, would that still be the case?
  • Options
    Free the Radiohead One.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited June 2017
    Radiohead are very not good. Dreadful, dreary stuff.

May I point out that Abingdon did their best to discourage the band, but unfortunately failed to stop them.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407
    Chris said:

Rhubarb said:

Chris said:

But looking at it another way, are there 800 empty social dwellings in Camden? Or in other London boroughs, if Camden is not untypical?

When it was just a question of the surviving inhabitants of the Grenfell Tower, my first thought was "London can take it". But if there were, say, dozens of tower blocks whose inhabitants needed to be rehoused, would that still be the case?
    Seems they are being rehoused for upto four weeks for repairs then allowed back home. Many will no doubt stay in hotels
  • Options

Free the Radiohead One.

I don't want to have to ban you too.
  • Options
    abuse of Radiohead will not be tolerated on this site
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    Radiohead aren't all bad:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/brexit-petition-radiohead-thom-yorke-second-eu-referendum-a7102636.html

Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke leads calls for second EU referendum
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeL said:

If "Conservative free market" leavers (ie those who voted to leave to get out of EU bureaucracy etc) were now given the choice of:

1) Remain in EU with a Cameron Govt, followed by a mainstream (eg Cooper) Lab Govt in 2020

2) Leave the EU with a Corbyn Govt

Which would they choose?

I suspect some may claim to choose 2) as Corbyn wouldn't be in power for ever - but would they really - he could do a lot of damage pretty quickly.

Many others would surely favour 1)

I spent Independence Day evening with many of them. They are resigned to a fight, but will not see remainers overturn the will of the People
  • Options
    The XX are on red button, a lot more this millennium.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Free the Radiohead One.

I don't want to have to ban you too.
    They are brilliant. Superb.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    hunchman said:

@Richard_Nabavi After I criticised Amber Augusta Rudd the other night, you came back with a very cheap Finchley Road jibe at me.

And why do you think that is?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    Depeche Mode are the best - in London three weeks back, Dave Gahan even sang a cover of Bowie's "Heroes" :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    For the record, Tom Yorke's voice is flat today. It's not a good show. But that doesn't mean Radiohead are not a great band.
  • Options
    O/T I saw a snapchat story earlier today of a council block in Oxford/Abingdon with union jacks and English flags out on with 'independence day' written on. Only just realised that it's a year to the day.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    rcs1000 said:

abuse of Radiohead will not be tolerated on this site

Another You & Yours topic. They made a ton of money from their pay what you want album release.

Personally I find them ******* and ***** and ****-****.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

O/T I saw a snapchat story earlier today of a council block in Oxford/Abingdon with union jacks and English flags out on with 'independence day' written on. Only just realised that it's a year to the day.

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    A very interesting article on the Grenfell disaster:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/climate/london-fire-may-have-been-caused-by-eu-regulations/

If true, this just goes to show the dangers of politicians following junk science. Enough people are fed up of paying needlessly high energy bills thanks to all the ruinous measures in the 2008 energy bill. This likely won't get the time of day on the mainstream media (MSM), but like all great cycles the man made climate change lobby have had their 'false' time in the sun. Now comes the oncoming mini ice-age thanks to declining solar activity. The 2020's looks like being an incredibly cold decade. Just this February we saw food shortages in courgettes in our supermarkets when the crop in Spain was ruined owing to frosts and UK supermarkets had to source their supplies from elsewhere. This year's vines were ruined by the very heavy frosts across Western Europe at the end of April too. But of course, no mention on the MSM about it all, all an inconvenient truth to the man made climate change lobby.
  • Options
    Nude is a staggeringly good song.

https://g.co/kgs/mGnhik
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    rcs1000 said:

For the record, Tom Yorke's voice is flat today. It's not a good show. But that doesn't mean Radiohead are not a great band.

That is surely borderline abusive.
  • Options
    RadioheadRadiohead Posts: 17
    @iainmartin1

Like Radiohead. But the non tunes stuff is just too much like Jazz Odyssey from Spinal Tap. #glastonbury
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    hunchman said:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/climate/london-fire-may-have-been-caused-by-eu-regulations/

If true, this just goes to show the dangers of politicians following junk science. Enough people are fed up of paying needlessly high energy bills thanks to all the ruinous measures in the 2008 energy bill. This likely won't get the time of day on the mainstream media (MSM), but like all great cycles the man made climate change lobby have had their 'false' time in the sun. Now comes the oncoming mini ice-age thanks to declining solar activity. The 2020's looks like being an incredibly cold decade. Just this February we saw food shortages in courgettes in our supermarkets when the crop in Spain was ruined owing to frosts and UK supermarkets had to source their supplies from elsewhere. This year's vines were ruined by the very heavy frosts across Western Europe at the end of April too. But of course, no mention on the MSM about it all, all an inconvenient truth to the man made climate change lobby.

https://xkcd.com/1732/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

I may have to ban myself.

(The Radiohead one has been freed.)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But you and your fellow travellers are religious fundamentalists. The EU can do no wrong and integration leads us to paradise,
    If I'm the sort of person who tells religious fundamentalists to go f*ck themselves, what does that make me?
  • Options

hunchman said:

@Richard_Nabavi After I criticised Amber Augusta Rudd the other night, you came back with a very cheap Finchley Road jibe at me.

I honestly don't know! I just wish he'd do his research (and others on here) and look at Companies House documents, which would stand up in a court of law and draw his conclusions from them. As far as I know, he and you have never seen the documents that I have seen so you live in blissful ignorance of what has been going on in this country for the last 35 years or so.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

This site has to have standards.
    Went past your place in Sag Harbor the other week.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

That drawing is laughable in the extreme. As one small example, in the Holicene Optimum (800-1200 AD) there were vineyards in Northern England up in Yorkshire, and the vikings were practising agriculture in Eastern Greenland. And that pathetic link of yours shows the temperatures virtually flat at that time.

And the bit that's even more laughable still is the bit around the Younger Dryas from 11,600 to 12,800 years ago, when serious climatologists agree that the climate suddenly cooled by around 10C 12,800 years ago, only for it warm very quickly again by around 10C 11,600 years ago.

And to think the man made climate change lobby have been peddling that pathetic bit of junk to school children. A truly dreadful indoctrination of the next generation.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,387
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

MikeL said:

Rigby saying Govt could come in for criticism if some councils evacuate and others don't.

I thought we were meant to have local democracy - should we just scrap local councils completely and run everything from the centre?

Of course Govt / Parliament must set laws / standards but surely local councils must manage their own areas.

One thing I can guarantee is, no matter what happens, no matter how well or badly handled, that TMay and the Tories will come in for criticism.

Tricky for Lab front bench to do so whilst they're all in a field in the west country somewhere.... ....
    Forming a thicket?
    Think Corbyn et al living it up at Glastonbury tomorrow may not be too helpful to him

Sky even asking if something more 'sinister' is going on - no idea what they mean by that comment
    One of my colleagues, who was a Corbynista long before it is fashionable, told me Corbyn has not had a great couple of weeks since the election. He said Corbyn has looked like a typical politician - greedy for power and arrogant. Which is not what he voted for.

Hubris killed Theresa May's career, I wonder if it's about to take it her opponent as well?
    It's his biggest threat at the moment. There's a danger he makes the same mistake May did - mistaking support by default for personal adoration. She was popular by virtue of not being Jeremy Corbyn or David Cameron even though people didn't really know much about her as a person or politician. Corbyn's different - his character's been raked over so much most people have an opinion on him. But there's no doubt a lot of Labour's support was anti-Tory, rather than an endorsement of the hard left. May's tactic of attacking the liberal left backfired as it made everyone jump back in the Labour camp whatever their private doubts. If he starts thinking - as some pro-Corbyn commentators seem to think - that their politics have won Britain and their march is inexorable, then they all might be in for a nasty shock - especially if the Tories rediscover how to do retail politics and ditch the UKIPery and start actually trying to make sense of Brexit.

The other big danger is that all political cults of personality eventually go pop. At some point you'll disappoint people. The bigger the cult the worse it is when it happens, and Corbyn's is bigger even than Thatcher's - even his more sensible supporters will not hear a word against him, but eventually he'll have to let them down, either by failing in power or reverting to type and not being the electoral elixir he's now touted as.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!
    It's because you've wasted about as much bandwidth boring on with your conspiracy theories as you have with your chartist bullshit.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

That drawing is laughable in the extreme. As one small example, in the Holicene Optimum (800-1200 AD) there were vineyards in Northern England up in Yorkshire, and the vikings were practising agriculture in Eastern Greenland. And that pathetic link of yours shows the temperatures virtually flat at that time.

And the bit that's even more laughable still is the bit around the Younger Dryas from 11,600 to 12,800 years ago, when serious climatologists agree that the climate suddenly cooled by around 10C 12,800 years ago, only for it warm very quickly again by around 10C 11,600 years ago.

And to think the man made climate change lobby have been peddling that pathetic bit of junk to school children. A truly dreadful indoctrination of the next generation.
    Comet impact(s) on the northern ice cap caused the cooling 12,800 years ago, further comet impacts at lower latitudes caused the warming around 11,600 years ago.

Can it be a coincidence that Plato tells us the fabled island of Atlantis sank around 11,600 years ago?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeL said:

If "Conservative free market" leavers (ie those who voted to leave to get out of EU bureaucracy etc) were now given the choice of:

1) Remain in EU with a Cameron Govt, followed by a mainstream (eg Cooper) Lab Govt in 2020

2) Leave the EU with a Corbyn Govt

Which would they choose?

I suspect some may claim to choose 2) as Corbyn wouldn't be in power for ever - but would they really - he could do a lot of damage pretty quickly.

Many others would surely favour 1)

I spent Independence Day evening with many of them. They are resigned to a fight, but will not see remainers overturn the will of the People
    The people might overturn the will of the people. "In a democracy, people are entitled to change their minds" - David Davis
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!
    It's because you've wasted about as much bandwidth boring on with your conspiracy theories as you have with your chartist bullshit.
    Conspiracy theories out of Companies House documents, when you've never even looked at them! Pull the other one. You really are delusional. I never say anything that I can't back up with evidence for my point of view. That is conspiracy theory for you.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

Comet impact(s) on the northern ice cap caused the cooling 12,800 years ago, further comet impacts at lower alititudes caused the warming around 11,600 years ago.

Can it be a coincidence that Plato tells us the fabled island of Atlantis sank around 11,600 years ago?
    I wondered what she'd been doing these past few months.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

That Atlantis sank around 11,600 years ago?
    That's very interesting because Plato mentioned in 600 BC a great tragedy that happened around 9,000 years before that, ie 9,600BC, 11,600 years before the present time. And that time isn't just mentioned in Greek civilisation, its mentioned in India, Japan, Eygpt, the Minoans, the Aztecs etc. The sea level rose around 370 feet up to its present level, flooding much of the best farmland in the world at that time which was around the Persian Gulf before the catastrophic flooding.

I wish more research would be done about the period. Fishermen have had their nets caught up in stone structures just over 110m below sea level around the world, but nobody really wants to investigate seriously these stone structures at that depth under the sea. Graham Hancock and some of his fellow travellers have done some great research work, Fingerprints of the Gods and Mysteries of the Gods are two of the greatest books ever written in my opinion.

Whether Atlantis is true or not, I have an open mind on. The site that is fascinating that I'd love to visit is Goblecki Tepi in Turkey quite close to the Syrian border, which literally means pot bellied hill. The site has been carbon dated to 12,000 years ago, and some of the best stuff there is the older carbon dated stones, which amongst alot of other evidence suggests a lost civilisation from those times, overwhelmed by the comet impacts at 12,800 and 11,600 years ago.
  • Options

Chris said:

Rhubarb said:

Chris said:

Seems they are being rehoused for upto four weeks for repairs then allowed back home. Many will no doubt stay in hotels
    Well, I was just trying to gauge opinion.

So essentially opinion still seems to be that dealing with this problem will be as easy as falling off a log. That's good news for Theresa May - provided it's right, of course.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

Comet impact(s) on the northern ice cap caused the cooling 12,800 years ago, further comet impacts at lower alititudes caused the warming around 11,600 years ago.

The Turkish site of Gobekli Tepe, the oldest acknowledged civilisation, has been dated by the late Klaus Schmidt to 11,600 years ago.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Spotify publishes detailed data on who listens to what. Of albums older than 10 years, there are three absolute standouts in terms of playtime. And that's albums from:

Everything else is just noise. They are the only people who's music has really lasted. Of course, that won't necessarily continue, and tastes change. But it's worth noting that people who like them really, really like them.
    Does that make tbe Daily Mail the best journalism site too?

Radiohead are not quite as dull as Coldplay is about as far as the truth goes.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

The Turkish site of Gobekli Tepe, the oldest acknowledged civilisation, has been dated by the late Klaus Schmidt to 11,600 years ago.
    Excuse my spelling of it Sunil!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

I wish more research would be done about the period. Fishermen have had their nets caught up in stone structures just over 110m below sea level around the world, but nobody really wants to investigate seriously these stone structures at that depth under the sea. Graham Hancock and some of his fellow travellers have done some great research work, Fingerprints of the Gods and Mysteries of the Gods are two of the greatest books ever written in my opinion.

I just mentioned Gobekli Tepe - and did you mean Magicians of the Gods? I bought that just this March, and Fingerprints 15 years ago!

• Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    MJW said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

MikeL said:

Rigby ssnipcouncils must manage their own areas.

snip
    Tricky for Lab front bench to do so whilst they're all in a field in the west country somewhere.... ....
    Forming a thicket?
    snip
    Sky even asking if something more 'sinister' is going on - no idea what they mean by that comment
    One of my colleagues, who was a Corbynista long before it is fashionable, told me Corbyn has not had a great couple of weeks since the election. He said Corbyn has looked like a typical politician - greedy for power and arrogant. Which is not what he voted for.

Hubris killed Theresa May's career, I wonder if it's about to take it her opponent as well?
    It's his biggest threat at the moment. There's a danger he makes the same mistake May did - mistaking support by default for personal adoration. She was popular by virtue of not being Jeremy Corbyn or David Cameron even though people didn't really know much about her as a person or politician. Corbyn's different - his character's been raked over so much most people have an opinion on him. But there's no doubt a lot of Labour's support was anti-Tory, rather than an endorsement of the hard left. May's tactic of attacking the liberal left backfired as it made everyone jump back in the Labour camp whatever their private doubts. If he starts thinking - as some pro-Corbyn commentators seem to think - that their politics have won Britain and their march is inexorable, then they all might be in for a nasty shock - especially if the Tories rediscover how to do retail politics and ditch the UKIPery and start actually trying to make sense of Brexit.

The other big danger is that all political cults of personality eventually go pop. At some point you'll disappoint people. The bigger the cult the worse it is when it happens, and Corbyn's is bigger even than Thatcher's - even his more sensible supporters will not hear a word against him, but eventually he'll have to let them down, either by failing in power or reverting to type and not being the electoral elixir he's now touted as.
    I can imagine a lot of the faithful will be looking for something more edgy and countercultural once he's played Glasto and become all 'mainstream'.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    I like Radiohead. Not easy listening. And sometimes you have to be in the zone. But very good.

If I had one criticism, their tone is slightly too optimistic and upbeat for these dark Brexit days. A remembrance of happier times.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    This bit's better from Radiohead!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Jesus RCS...Radiohead are at the top of their game.....

I was lucky enough to see them last week in Florence....the best gig of my life by a mile (nothing close)...and that was the third time of seeing Radiohead....they are mellowing and playing loads of crowd pleasers....

And today they are sending that ball out of the Glastonbury park.....
  • Options

hunchman said:

I just mentioned Gobekli Tepe - and did you mean Magicians of the Gods? I bought that just this March, and Fingerprints 15 years ago!

Sorry, yes Magicians of the Gods.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!
    Conspiracy theories out of Companies House documents, when you've never even looked at them!
    I looked at what you posted here and there was nothing out of the ordinary with any of it.

But then, I've run companies and spent a lot of time looking at Companies House documents...
  • Options
    tyson said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Jesus RCS...Radiohead are at the top of their game.....

I was lucky enough to see them last week in Florence....the best gig of my life by a mile (nothing close)...and that was the third time of seeing Radiohead....they are mellowing and playing loads of crowd pleasers....

And today they are sending that ball out of the Glastonbury park.....
    I've seen Radiohead live three times: twice in Victoria Park and once in Shepherd's Bush. They were outstanding every time.

Other bands I've loved live: LCD Soundsystem, The National, The Vaccines, Simon & Garfunkel.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jonathan said:

I like Radiohead. Not easy listening. And sometimes you have to be in the zone. But very good.

If I had one criticism, their tone is slightly too optimistic and upbeat for these dark Brexit days. A remembrance of happier times.

Give them a call. You are clearly suffering from some sort of mental breakdown.

http://www.samaritans.org/
  • Options
    edited June 2017

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:
    That Atlantis sank around 11,600 years ago?
    That's very interesting because Plato mentioned in 600 BC a great tragedy that happened around 9,000 years before that, ie 9,600BC, 11,600 years before the present time. And that time isn't just mentioned in Greek civilisation, its mentioned in India, Japan, Eygpt, the Minoans, the Aztecs etc. The sea level rose around 370 feet up to its present level, flooding much of the best farmland in the world at that time which was around the Persian Gulf before the catastrophic flooding.

Whether Atlantis is true or not, I have an open mind on. The site that is fascinating that I'd love to visit is Goblecki Tepi in Turkey quite close to the Syrian border, which literally means pot bellied hill. The site has been carbon dated to 12,000 years ago, and some of the best stuff there is the older carbon dated stones, which amongst alot of other evidence suggests a lost civilisation from those times, overwhelmed by the comet impacts at 12,800 and 11,600 years ago.
    Regarding Atlantis, I found Peter James's book, suggesting that a significant part of the legend was based on Tantalis in Asia Minor (near modern Izmir), completely convincing.

Not sure that has much to do with political betting, though...
  • Options
    welshowl said:

What bit is better than what? This gig is unbelievably brilliant from start to when it finishes. The tempo, the arrangement, the vibrancy, the energy, the sheer brilliance of the music, the eclectic vocals....

Radiohead make you a better person. Full stop.....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think Guido today summed up rather well the dismal rubbish that we heard from the Remoaner's just over a year ago:

https://order-order.com/2017/06/23/the-economist-lack-of-intelligence-unit/

An apology from the Remoaner's over the catastrophe that the EU has put Greece through over the past 9 years with a drepression worse in terms of lost output and employment than the Great Depression would be nice too. But I don't bet on it happening!

And remember a year ago tonight - the first 90 minutes the Remoaner's gloating in delight about their 'assumed' victory, and then their nightmare of the results coming in, first that declaration of 60pc out in Sunderland to start things off. Oh what a night that was.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Does that make tbe Daily Mail the best journalism site too?

Radiohead are not quite as dull as Coldplay is about as far as the truth goes.
    Coldplay are truly dreadful.
    But Radiohead really does reward repeated listening.

For humour value, here is Radiohead playing The Smiths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox58_gYmFRM
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

That's OK hunchman! Have a laugh while reading this, which was published on Graham's site way back in January 2003:

https://grahamhancock.com/drsunilatlantis/
  • Options
    tyson said:

welshowl said:

What bit is better than what? This gig is unbelievably brilliant from start to when it finishes. The tempo, the arrangement, the vibrancy, the energy, the sheer brilliance of the music, the eclectic vocals....

I'm on my second glass of red post a curry pint. I'm probably mellowing into it a tad.
  • Options
    tyson said:

welshowl said:

I'm sorry, but Tom's voice is not all there tonight. He got Nude spot on, but some of the others he really struggled.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!
    Conspiracy theories out of Companies House documents, when you've never even looked at them! Pull the other one. You really are delusional. I never say anything that I can't back up with evidence for my point of view. That is conspiracy theory for you.
    I met a conspiracy theorist a while back. He seriously believed the earth is flat. I looked it up, and they reckon the earth is flat & circular, with an ice wall around the perimeter (which is more commonly known as the south pole). Some really amazing theories to account for all the science (or 'science').
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!
    Conspiracy theories out of Companies House documents, when you've never even looked at them!
    I looked at what you posted here and there was nothing out of the ordinary with any of it.

But then, I've run companies and spent a lot of time looking at Companies House documents...
    So 265,000 companies setup out of one address with many of them dissolved shell companies raises no alarms then?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!
    I met a conspiracy theorist a while back. He seriously believed the earth is flat. I looked it up, and they reckon the earth is flat & circular, with an ice wall around the perimeter (which is more commonly known as the south pole). Some really amazing theories to account for all the science (or 'science').
    You won't find me espousing flat earth nonsense and creationist nonsense either!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!

So 265,000 companies setup out of one address with many of them dissolved shell companies raises no alarms then?
    It's exactly what you'd expect of a firm that sells off the shelf private companies. And indeed, it turns out that's exactly what it was.

Or we could believe that the company formation service was just a front.

Your call.
  • Options
    You get some weirdness and conspiracy theories on here. Some people will believe anything. Some people even thought Theresa May was good. Amazing.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Who or what is Radiohead?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

welshowl said:

I'm sorry, but Tom's voice is not all there tonight. He got Nude spot on, but some of the others he really struggled.
    I'm running about 15 mins behind...he's just starting Fade Out....

Most of this set is stunning from where I'm sitting.... Florence last week was magical so maybe I'm still upbeat from then...

He'll do Fake Plastic Trees later.....enough said....

• Options

A popular beat combo. Most famous wayback when the Tories last managed a full term on their own.
  • Options

You are Jack W and I claim my five guineas.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I honestly don't know!

Nope.

Go look into 145-157 St John Street next.
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Chameleon said:

hunchman said:

All an inconvenient truth to the man made climate change lobby.

That's OK hunchman! Have a laugh while reading this, which was published on Graham's site way back in January 2003:

https://grahamhancock.com/drsunilatlantis/
    Wonderful stuff Sunil. A serious amount of land got flooded on the peninsular down from the modern day Singapore down through to Java. They reckon the east coast of the US went out around a further 100 miles on average into the Atlantic compared to today. What do you make of the theory of the equator once joining Easter Island, Giza and Angkor Wat, with them all separated by 72 degrees of longitude? IIRC the line goes through the Nazca lines / Ollayantaytumbo in Peru as well.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017

It's that unsettling existential angst that creeps up on all of us as we realise that getting what we want doesn't actually make us happy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HimvFbossU8
This discussion has been closed.