Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first local by election since GE17 – the results

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first local by election since GE17 – the results

First of all, an explanation of this new method. During the general election campaign I became aware that a lot of people were doing profiles of the wards up for local by-elections and having a look through them all I came to the conclusions that the profiles offered by Andrew Teale were far and away the best, therefore in consultation with Mike, I said that I would list the results of the local by-elections after the results had been published and that Andrew’s profiles would be referenced in those listings (which I believe is the best of both worlds

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Cheers for this, Mr. Hayfield.

I wish people replied promptly to e-mails...
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I posted 'First like nobody in Yscir on Powys', but it's disappeared.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Essexit said:

My First has now disappeared.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2017
    Mine was "disappeared" too

Obviously Morris Dancer has clout.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Fifth like ukip. And not disappearing, unlike ukip.
  • Options
    I remember Yarm from a previous by-election thread? Life expectancy for politicians there isn't too great?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    IanB2 said:

Fifth like ukip. And not disappearing, unlike ukip.

Shame
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Essexit said:

Vanilla was showing 4 threads with the same title & 1 post each. I waited to see which one started to accumulate most votes.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

"EU nationals have rights under the various Treaties which set up the European Union.
    One of these is the right to live and work in any of the other Member States of the union.
    Consequently, EU nationals are not given individual leave to enter the United Kingdom.
    This is because they have a right of entry and residence under European Union law as
    long as they are coming here in the exercise of a Treaty right. This includes the right to
    take or seek employment or to set up business. Student and self-sufficient persons (e.g.
    retired persons) also have right to entry and residence in a non-economic capacity."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374616/TreatyRightsPolicy.pdf

Thank you, Chris. That seems to suggest even if you don't have a job you can come here and say you're looking for work even if you fund your life through criminality or alternatively take cash-in-hand work and not contribute taxes and Nat Ins to the UK.

I don't see that what May is proposing is very different from this so those concerned aboujt immigration might wonder what is going on.

If May wants this, agreement to the Single Market must be on the agenda sice it reads like Freedom of Movement to all intents and purposes.

In principle we're talking about historic rights accrued by EU citizens moving to the UK while it's a member of the EU. EU citizens coming to the UK after Brexit would be governed by new rules. The devil is in the detail on this stuff.Mrs May claims to have made a "generous offer" subject to it being reciprocated by the EU, but it is very vague and does not even reference the far more detailed proposal already tabled by the EU. There's undoubtedly some grandstanding but even so the other leaders and representative groups don't seem particularly impressed.
    Because the reciprocity we want from the EU is actually less than what they have already put on the table !

I don't know why UK is playing games like this. Sooner or later, people will know that it is neither fair nor generous.
  • Options
    Mr. Toms, not just clout. Style, too.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Tories still gaining council seats.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

"EU nationals have rights under the various Treaties which set up the European Union.
    One of these is the right to live and work in any of the other Member States of the union.
    Consequently, EU nationals are not given individual leave to enter the United Kingdom.
    This is because they have a right of entry and residence under European Union law as
    long as they are coming here in the exercise of a Treaty right. This includes the right to
    take or seek employment or to set up business. Student and self-sufficient persons (e.g.
    retired persons) also have right to entry and residence in a non-economic capacity."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374616/TreatyRightsPolicy.pdf

Thank you, Chris. That seems to suggest even if you don't have a job you can come here and say you're looking for work even if you fund your life through criminality or alternatively take cash-in-hand work and not contribute taxes and Nat Ins to the UK.

I don't see that what May is proposing is very different from this so those concerned aboujt immigration might wonder what is going on.

If May wants this, agreement to the Single Market must be on the agenda sice it reads like Freedom of Movement to all intents and purposes.

In principle we're talking about historic rights accrued by EU citizens moving to the UK while it's a member of the EU. EU citizens coming to the UK after Brexit would be governed by new rules. The devil is in the detail on this stuff.Mrs May claims to have made a "generous offer" subject to it being reciprocated by the EU, but it is very vague and does not even reference the far more detailed proposal already tabled by the EU. There's undoubtedly some grandstanding but even so the other leaders and representative groups don't seem particularly impressed.
    Because the reciprocity we want from the EU is actually less than what they have already put on the table !

I don't know why UK is playing games like this. Sooner or later, people will know that it is neither fair nor generous.
    Yes, you are right that it's less and it's not generous. We specifically and deliberately voted for less and not generous.

We are leaving and the so-called "generous" offer just keeps the tentacles around us.

• Options
    That's great news; thanks for sharing because that's cheered me right up.
    It went perfectly well from my point of view.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    FPT
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

In principle we're talking about historic rights accrued by EU citizens moving to the UK while it's a member of the EU. EU citizens coming to the UK after Brexit would be governed by new rules. The devil is in the detail on this stuff.Mrs May claims to have made a "generous offer" subject to it being reciprocated by the EU, but it is very vague and does not even reference the far more detailed proposal already tabled by the EU.
    Not entirely fair, because it hasn't even been published yet...
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    GeoffM said:

Scary man.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,722
    edited June 2017
    Its a terrrrrible night for the Tories.......

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

Corbyn sweeping all before him.....
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

Yup. Tories winning from Independents. Great night !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

You can see why she didn't want transparency. The fact that the EU has already published a more detailed and comprehensive position means this kind of stunt to ambush the media coverage of a summit meeting is bound to fail.
  • Options
    At least, Blowers is from the early 20th century. Mogster is from the 19th.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited June 2017

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

It's good to see Conservatives starting to take such a keen interest in local by-elections. They were very hostile to any reporting of them in the months before the general election.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

"Why are we even talking about families splitting up? Is this how far we’ve fallen?"

Did Maybot really think, this would be received nicely ? When you are talking about splitting families, you think of Korea !
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

FF43 said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

Yes, you are right that it's less and it's not generous. We specifically and deliberately voted for less and not generous.

We are leaving and the so-called "generous" offer just keeps the tentacles around us.

We won't be leaving.
  • Options

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

It's good to see Conservatives starting to take such a keen interest in local by-elections. They were very hostile to any reporting of them in the months before the general election.
    I'm sure a string of Con losses would have passed without remark from OGH.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pulpstar said:
    I've always wanted to visit the Hallam constituency but never got round to it. I've been to Sheffield city centre a couple of times.
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

I'm sure a string of Con losses would have passed without remark from OGH.....
    Just 5 or 6 thread headers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:
    I've always wanted to visit the Hallam constituency but never got round to it. I've been to Sheffield city centre a couple of times.
    Its in the Sheffield Central constituency, the sycamore trees are a nightmare for the car windscreen xD
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    surbiton said:

GeoffM said:

"Why are we even talking about families splitting up? Is this how far we’ve fallen?"

Did Maybot really think, this would be received nicely ? When you are talking about splitting families, you think of Korea !
    Do you? I must confess I think of Social Services.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    It must be a bit humiliating for that 2 votes Davies today.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    surbiton said:

Sounds like Jonathan Freedland needs to spend more time around the horse racing community.
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    Single sourced by the ES. Shoddy. But what do you expect from a Russian owned freesheet edited by a failed politician. The Guardian has done some checking:

One former senior minister told the Guardian they didn’t recollect any discussion of the issue around the cabinet table at the time.
  • Options
    Another one of George Osborne's vanity projects not going well:

' UK government plans for a new £18bn nuclear power station have come under fire from public auditors, who call it "a risky and expensive project".

The National Audit Office (NAO) said the costs and risks for consumers had not been sufficiently considered. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40372613

I suppose it was an early warning sign about May that she didn't cancel Hinkley C and HS2.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

We should have paid more attention to R&T's May locals NEV. A Tory landslide was never on, only in the fertile imagination of Martin Boon. Has he resigned yet ?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Sounds like Jonathan Freedland needs to spend more time around the horse racing community.
    What's he done to deserve cruel and unusual punishment? I mean I know he's annoying, but even so...
  • Options

surbiton said:
    Single sourced by the ES. Shoddy. But what do you expect from a Russian owned freesheet edited by a failed politician. The Guardian has done some checking:

One former senior minister told the Guardian they didn’t recollect any discussion of the issue around the cabinet table at the time.
    The boy George creating fake news? There's a surprise.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    surbiton said:

In the UK we all too often equate a well-spoken with intelligence and insight. It has caused us no end of trouble.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: NHS trusts told to urgently check buildings for any of the cladding materials implicated in the Grenfell Tower fire

How many PFI contracts...
  • Options

surbiton said:

In the UK we all too often equate a well-spoken with intelligence and insight. It has caused us no end of trouble.

+1

Mogg's lack of understanding of the modern world is pitiful. As is the sight of people thinking he has great insight because he speaks like someone reading the news on the Home Service.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Since when did Osborne start being a "failed politician" ? You Tories can be both hypocritical and ruthless.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited June 2017
    Shame about Blowers retiring, one of the quartet of crickets classic voices Johners, Tony Greig talking about 'blorsting it to the boundary' and, at 11.40 on day three with Australia 610-4 , Steve waugh caressing one through the covers and Benaud dryly saying 'no point chasing that one'
  • Options

' UK government plans for a new £18bn nuclear power station have come under fire from public auditors, who call it "a risky and expensive project".

The National Audit Office (NAO) said the costs and risks for consumers had not been sufficiently considered. '

I suppose it was an early warning sign about May that she didn't cancel Hinkley C and HS2.

Pissing money up the wall. Only problem for the UK is it will get worse under Corbyn.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Conservative HOLD
    Conservative GAIN
    Conservative HOLD
    Conservative HOLD
    Labour HOLD

We should have paid more attention to R&T's May locals NEV. A Tory landslide was never on, only in the fertile imagination of Martin Boon. Has he resigned yet ?
    In what sense? They were predicting an overall majority for May like everyone else.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/adambienkov/status/860513033185087488?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

On the upside, she didn't "cancel" (in reality, delay for 20 years until the need for it became unarguable) HS2.
  • Options

surbiton said:

The boy George creating fake news? There's a surprise.
    Even more so when its fake news thats disobliging to Theresa May......I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    SA surely 30 short? Looks good for England.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SA surely 30 short? Looks good for England.

England's to lose at titchy Taunton
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: NHS trusts told to urgently check buildings for any of the cladding materials implicated in the Grenfell Tower fire

How many PFI contracts...

Another Osbrowne disaster area.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Since when did Osborne start being a "failed politician" ? You Tories can be both hypocritical and ruthless.
    He failed with the deficit, flunked up the Remain campaign with his chum, and probably helped Corbyn over the line in a few London marginals. Certainly a failed Tory.
  • Options
    Qatar:

WASHINGTON ― Qatar’s ambassador to the U.S. told HuffPost on Friday that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other countries’ demands on his nation are about suppressing press freedom and Qatari sovereignty, rather than the country’s alleged support for terror.

The comments from Meshal bin Hamad al Thani appear to be the highest-level public Qatari response to a list of demands its neighbors passed to Qatar on Friday, according to multiple outlets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/qatar-demands-terror_us_594d4635e4b0da2c731b3d6c
  • Options
    On the issue of government vanity projects the increase in overseas aid to 0.7% of GDP doesn't seem to have been copied by the rest of the G7:

UK 0.71%
    Germany 0.52%
    France 0.37%
    Canada 0.28%
    Italy 0.21%
    Japan 0.22%
    USA 0.17%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_development_aid_country_donors

I wonder how many houses could have built or tuition fees paid if the UK had paid the same percentage as St Barack's USA or St Angela's Germany ?
  • Options

Shame about Blowers retiring, one of the quartet of crickets classic voices Johners, Tony Greig talking about 'blorsting it to the boundary' and, at 11.40 on day three with Australia 610-4 , Steve waugh caressing one through the covers and Benaud dryly saying 'no point chasing that one'

Doesn't John Arlott rate a mention? He was the voice of cricket for me.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

He failed with the deficit, flunked up the Remain campaign with his chum, and probably helped Corbyn over the line in a few London marginals. Certainly a failed Tory.
    My question was when did Carlotta and other Tories start thinking he was a failed politician. Fitalass, even now does not think Osborne failed.
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    It is fair enough.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Ian

I find Mogg a bit of a lovable plonker until he starts self conciously bowing and scraping and fawning over "Her Majesty", when he comes across as a sycophantic prat.
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    "Fragmentation of such global markets by jurisdiction or currency would reduce the benefits of central clearing. EU27 firms account for only a quarter of global activity in cleared euro interest rate swaps, and about 14 per cent of total interest rate swaps in all currencies cleared by LCH.

"Any development which prevented EU27 firms from continuing to clear trades in the UK would split liquidity between a less liquid onshore market for EU firms and a more liquid offshore market for everyone else."

http://www.cityam.com/266988/mark-carney-moving-euro-clearing-out-london-no-ones
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    AnneJGP said:

By far the greatest. My best memories of TMS goes back to the 60's and 70's. Arlott's commentary and Trevor Bailey's end-of-over summary.

Of course, Johnston brought in the chocolate cake stuff ! Half of England's housewives were baking for him.
  • Options

surbiton said:
    "Fragmentation of such global markets by jurisdiction or currency would reduce the benefits of central clearing. EU27 firms account for only a quarter of global activity in cleared euro interest rate swaps, and about 14 per cent of total interest rate swaps in all currencies cleared by LCH.

"Any development which prevented EU27 firms from continuing to clear trades in the UK would split liquidity between a less liquid onshore market for EU firms and a more liquid offshore market for everyone else."

http://www.cityam.com/266988/mark-carney-moving-euro-clearing-out-london-no-ones
    There's no fragmentation if *all* of it moves.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Yeah I'll give you that along with Tony Cozier in the West Indies.
    Of the modern crowd I enjoy Athers and particularly Nasser Hussain who is extremely drole.
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    Just like the US. Wants clearing in the US. And more dollars bought and sold in London than the whole of the US.

Good luck.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Capital won't move from London to the ECB's jurisdiction.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    I thought nothing could beat my team ( Huddersfield Town) getting to the Premier League. But today I received a present from the Chairman. I had already paid £199 for a season ticket for next season - but now he is giving me a cheque for £99. That means I will be watching Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and the others for £5 a match. To celebrate I am having a Denby Dale meat and potato pie with an Opik Malbec from Argentina - I wonder what Herbert Chapman and Bill Shankley would have thought of that. Given some interesting signings I might have a few bob on the Terriers beating relegation next season.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    edited June 2017
    The extent of the use of this cladding and it's removal could cost the Country many countless billions.

Big tax rises look inevitable
  • Options

surbiton said:

Which other reserve currencies are only traded in one city?
  • Options

Qatar:

WASHINGTON ― Qatar’s ambassador to the U.S. told HuffPost on Friday that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other countries’ demands on his nation are about suppressing press freedom and Qatari sovereignty, rather than the country’s alleged support for terror.

The comments from Meshal bin Hamad al Thani appear to be the highest-level public Qatari response to a list of demands its neighbors passed to Qatar on Friday, according to multiple outlets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/qatar-demands-terror_us_594d4635e4b0da2c731b3d6c

It turns out the biggest demand is about closing down Al-J. The first time that people in the Middle East found another source of news. Why did they not demand the BBC should be shut down too ? T May may have agreed to that.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

My question was when did Carlotta and other Tories start thinking he was a failed politician.
    When he gave up after May sacked him & didn't 'do his porridge' on the back benches. Self entitled twat.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:
    Hallam is post war suburbia - despite its affluence its not very interesting.

The two most interesting wards architecturally are Nether Edge and Broomhill, both in Sheffield Central.

The tower blocks of the Gleadless Valley and the Lowedges-Batemoor-Jordanthorpe council estate belt in the southern edge of Sheffield have a horribleness about them for those that appreciate such places.
  • Options
    slade said:

I thought nothing could beat my team ( Huddersfield Town) getting to the Premier League. But today I received a present from the Chairman. I had already paid £199 for a season ticket for next season - but now he is giving me a cheque for £99. That means I will be watching Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and the others for £5 a match. To celebrate I am having a Denby Dale meat and potato pie with an Opik Malbec from Argentina - I wonder what Herbert Chapman and Bill Shankley would have thought of that. Given some interesting signings I might have a few bob on the Terriers beating relegation next season.

Make sure you use this generosity well. You have exactly one season to be in the big time !
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

My question was when did Carlotta and other Tories start thinking he was a failed politician.
    When he gave up after May sacked him & didn't 'do his porridge' on the back benches. Self entitled twat.

Suitable timing for you. As long as he was a mInister and actually implementing his government's policies, he was fine !
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

If May hadn't called an election he would still be on the back benches.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

By far the greatest. My best memories of TMS goes back to the 60's and 70's. Arlott's commentary and Trevor Bailey's end-of-over summary.

Of course, Johnston brought in the chocolate cake stuff ! Half of England's housewives were baking for him.
    Perhaps the thing I found most impressive about John Arlott was the way he could switch between commentary styles, TV to radio, when the live TV picture transmission was lost for any reason. Never lost a beat, just carried on with the commentary as though it was as easy as pie. Amazing.
  • Options

The extent of the use of this cladding and it's removal could cost the Country many countless billions.

Nah. More like tens of millions with some recovery from the insurers of the professionals who said it was fine.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

slade said:

Make sure you use this generosity well. You have exactly one season to be in the big time !
    Typical Surbiton comment - he spreads joy all around.!!

I hope Huddersfield have a great time and they prosper and look to many premier league seasons
  • Options
    edited June 2017

AnneJGP said:

Of the modern crowd I enjoy Athers and particularly Nasser Hussain who is extremely drole.
    Since the bar has been raised, I will provide three names for commentary and two for expert summaries.

Arlott, Mcgilvray, Cosier. Bailey, Hassett.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

The people who own them or rent them should be paying for it G. No beggar gives a toss about helping me ever, what is so special about these people that someone else should pay their bills.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    slade said:

Leicester City season tikets are great value, but not quite as good as that. Some concession?

I think Huddersfield have a decent chance of staying up. After the top 7 there was not a lot to choose between the rest in the PL. All had long poor phases.

I think LCFC are more at risk of relegation this season, we have to replace our aging back line, and I think Kasper will be off too. I am not completely convinced that Shakey was right for the permanent post.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nah. More like tens of millions with some recovery from the insurers of the professionals who said it was fine.
    Apparently all NHS trusts have to inspect their hospitals. The litigation and damages will go on for years and in the meantime the bills have to be paid
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Good commentators are hard to find. After the excellent Murray Walker, the best F1 pairing was Brundle and Coulthard but, sadly, that lasted only on season because the BBC executive in charge of F1 decision-making was Judas Iscariot.

Edited extra bit: anyway, must be off.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

I doubt it would be billions for replacement of the cladding systems. The entire refit of the Grenfell tower was £8.7 million, and according to Wiki the cladding part of the work cost £2.6 million. Given that it might just be a part-for-part replacement (unless they need to fix some form of structural 'chimney' effect) it should be a fairly straightforward job (or as straightforward as working at height can be).

If we take a cost of £2 million to replace the cladding, then 500 buildings could be done for a billion. Although having skilled people and kit to do the work might be a problem: they need to ensure the work's done properly, even if it means it takes time for them to be done.

Now, if they decide that grandfather rights for things like sprinklers in high-rise buildings are to be voided, then it may well get into billions.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Since the bar has been raised, I will provide three names for commentary and two for expert summaries.

Arlott, Mcgilvray, Cosier. Bailey, Hassett.
    A bit of Tony Lewis and some Bill Bearders Frindall. Peter West in days of yore too
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Can anyone explain the reason why we would want ECJ to have jurisdiction. Is there any benefit to us? Why is Corbyn enthusiastic?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The people who own them or rent them should be paying for it G. No beggar gives a toss about helping me ever, what is so special about these people that someone else should pay their bills.
    Evening Malc

It is social housing in the main so how are social tenants going to pay increased rents
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Off-topic:

In an hour SpaceX are launching a rocket to GTO; they are going to attempt a landing of the first stage, but it might not make it due to the flight characteristics. The first stage flew another flight back in January.

You can watch live here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/6isph2/welcome_to_the_rspacex_bulgariasat1_official/

If all goes well, they'll be launching another rocket tomorrow.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

I doubt it would be billions for replacement of the cladding systems. The entire refit of the Grenfell tower was £8.7 million, and according to Wiki the cladding part of the work cost £2.6 million. Given that it might just be a part-for-part replacement (unless they need to fix some form of structural 'chimney' effect) it should be a fairly straightforward job (or as straightforward as working at height can be).

If we take a cost of £2 million to replace the cladding, then 500 buildings could be done for a billion. Although having skilled people and kit to do the work might be a problem: they need to ensure the work's done properly, even if it means it takes time for them to be done.

Now, if they decide that grandfather rights for things like sprinklers in high-rise buildings are to be voided, then it may well get into billions.
    I wouldn't necessarily trust he costs by item. It is normal practice to split out scaffolding costs.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Apparently all NHS trusts have to inspect their hospitals. The litigation and damages will go on for years and in the meantime the bills have to be paid
    We can only hope some of this is north of the border. Could do with the business.
  • Options

Can anyone explain the reason why we would want ECJ to have jurisdiction. Is there any benefit to us? Why is Corbyn enthusiastic?

Because then they'll give us a trade deal.
  • Options

I've been wondering whether this might lead to a re-think on housing people in high rise buildings. Maybe we'll see a shift away from that policy. Cost of upgrading is bound to enter into the equation.

As a child, I used to live in a block of maisonettes - only 2 x 2-storey 'houses' on top of each other - and I never went to bed free from fear. Happily we were only there 3 years.
  • Options

Can you imagine that the ECJ can rule on some UK citizens rights over and above our Supreme Court.

The Country will just not accept it
  • Options

Can you imagine that the ECJ can rule on some UK citizens rights over and above our Supreme Court.

We'll see.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:
    Hallam is post war suburbia - despite its affluence its not very interesting.

The two most interesting wards architecturally are Nether Edge and Broomhill, both in Sheffield Central.

The tower blocks of the Gleadless Valley and the Lowedges-Batemoor-Jordanthorpe council estate belt in the southern edge of Sheffield have a horribleness about them for those that appreciate such places.
    Fans of Heaven 17 and the Human League, like me, will be interested in that huge council estate near the centre of Sheffield. It's where most of the band members lived at one time.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

slade said:

Leicester City season tikets are great value, but not quite as good as that. Some concession?

I think Huddersfield have a decent chance of staying up. After the top 7 there was not a lot to choose between the rest in the PL. All had long poor phases.

I think LCFC are more at risk of relegation this season, we have to replace our aging back line, and I think Kasper will be off too. I am not completely convinced that Shakey was right for the permanent post.
    I think most new club survive their first year because the other teams dont have the intelligence on them but i might be wrong
  • Options

We'll see.
    Genuinely do you think the population will accept an outside jurisdiction for some of it's ciitizens
  • Options

We'll see.
    Genuinely do you think the population will accept an outside jurisdiction for some of it's ciitizens
    If it's that or economic ruin - yes.
This discussion has been closed.