Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The biggest loser. How Nicola Sturgeon did even worse than TMa

Comments

• Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    RobC said:

JackW said:

Some PB Tories wish the PM to stay for a few years to cover the BREXIT negotiations and provide an element of political stability that they say would be absent if a new leadership election occurred immediately.

After this past week do they think that now? We have a Prime Minister in office but not in power, a government in office but not in power and completely dependent on the whims of the DUP. I would say we almost certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference if a two month interregnum took place and a new PM took office.

On May 7, 1940, the British Conservative MP, Leo Amery, uttered these words at Neville Chamberlain during a House of Commons debate on the British-French expedition in Norway that had ended in failure. Amery repeated Oliver Cromwell’s (paraphrased) words on April 20, 1653, to a Parliament attempting to remain after it had voted to dissolve itself:

“You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!”

Prime Minister May ... go, just go.

Her inherent crapness shows no sign of abating now the GE is out of the way. However it is now preferably or if not two years time in my betting book. Her leaving in the middle of negotiations would be shambolic.
    They haven't started yet. Get this wibbling bufooness out before they start, or revoke Article 50. May is a laughing stock and in no fit state to deal with our European partners
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    I know it sounds weird but this seems more normal. The Tories in power andhated by everyone and Labour loved because they're warm and fluffy.
    Just look at the drop.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Jim Pickard‏ @PickardJE 6 mins6 minutes ago

Corbyn says Kensington is a "tale of two cities" and says properties should be made available - "requisitioned if necessary" - for victims.

Errrr...what?

So this last day or so we seem to have had McDonnell advocating an insurrection and Corbyn trying to ignore property rights. They are lucky nobody notices.

Right now, as people have been made homeless by this tragedy would you really want to be defending the property rights of absentee multi-millionaires who have only bought these houses and flats as investment opportunities? Someone on the Tory side needs to get a grip here or Corbyn is going to take full control of the narrative.

SO, we have the rule of law for a F***ING REASON. Yes I would defend property rights for everyone.

I know - I am all for property rights. But the Tories are allowing Corbyn to create the narrative and set the terms of the debate - and it is not your property or my property or anyone else's occupied property that he is talking about, but the ones owned by absentee multi-millionaires, who live abroad and keep their money offshore instead of paying tax.

Because they're rich it's ok to act illegally against them?
    Lots of properties were requisitioned in WW2 for the greater good of the nation as a whole .
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017
    Blue_rog said:

Labour ...... warm and fluffy.

Unless you're Jewish/"Tory scum"/a "Tory cunt" etc.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Corbyn isn't doing it for the optics. He just quite simply cares.
    Which is precisely why the optics are great for him.

Nah. He cares about his ideology.
    Individuals are expendable for the greater good in pursuing Marxist ideology.
    Hence the "red flag" with the blood of the martyred dead.
    I'm as concerned about Corbyn as you. But I can see how this all looks to the wider public - not good, not good at all for the Tories.
    The 42% who voted Tory will not be swayed by a stage managed Corbyn photo op not that there is likely to be another election for yeats now anyway despite Corbyn's bleating
    Jesus, open your eyes.
    To a stage managed Corbyn photo op they are already open
    If Corbyn's is stage managed how is May's not? They are both there, both visiting people, except she is not visiting residents and he is. Hers is also stage managed in that case, just more poorly.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914
    Leafleting in reasonably middle income areas during the election was struck by how many properties appeared to be unoccupied. Some almost derelict but other with some furniture in but obviously not lived in. Possibly 4-5%
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

At the risk of sounding gauche, I will point out again that I did say that Theresa May's apparently sky-high approval ratings flattered to deceive.

So not gauche.

I wonder how the guy who consistently said 'Theresa May is a pound shop Gordon Brown' is feeling at the moment?
    It turns out that said fellow was being unfair to Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    As I was saying!!

Tory support:

A mile wide, and an inch deep.

QED
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    When will tim get on board the Jezza bus?

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/875347435886981121
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

Corbyn says Kensington is a "tale of two cities" and says properties should be made available - "requisitioned if necessary" - for victims.

Errrr...what?

So this last day or so we seem to have had McDonnell advocating an insurrection and Corbyn trying to ignore property rights. They are lucky nobody notices.

Right now, as people have been made homeless by this tragedy would you really want to be defending the property rights of absentee multi-millionaires who have only bought these houses and flats as investment opportunities? Someone on the Tory side needs to get a grip here or Corbyn is going to take full control of the narrative.

SO, we have the rule of law for a F***ING REASON. Yes I would defend property rights for everyone.

I know - I am all for property rights. But the Tories are allowing Corbyn to create the narrative and set the terms of the debate - and it is not your property or my property or anyone else's occupied property that he is talking about, but the ones owned by absentee multi-millionaires, who live abroad and keep their money offshore instead of paying tax.

I am not sure why you are arguing with me. I am not the one suggesting it. I am the one observing that it will resonate unless the Tories can find a convincing, engaging counter-argument. This is a politics website and so I make no excuse for talking through the politics. The common consensus on here was that the Manchester and London attacks would play into the Tories' hands because they are the party of law, order and security, and because of Corbyn's past. Labour realised that very quickly and countered. I am just saying that yesterday's tragedy, its setting and its context are tailor-made for Corbyn and his message. If the Tories do not begin to grasp that soon it is going to cost them.

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Errrr...what?

Lots of properties were requisitioned in WW2 for the greater good of the nation as a whole .
    Are we just off the back of a 6-year world war?

No, a tower block has been on fire.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    I thought it was the Tories who wanted to nick your house, seems like Corbyn is quite happy to as well.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Icarus said:

Leafleting in reasonably middle income areas during the election was struck by how many properties appeared to be unoccupied. Some almost derelict but other with some furniture in but obviously not lived in. Possibly 4-5%

Could well be people which are in care, or people which have passed awaw.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/15/tory-election-research-found-boris-johnson-was-deeply-divisive

This may mean MPs will block Boris from the final two - he may even not stand if he thinks he has no chance.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Right now, as people have been made homeless by this tragedy would you really want to be defending the property rights of absentee multi-millionaires who have only bought these houses and flats as investment opportunities?

Yes, of course. Wouldn't you, or have you abandoned principles such as the rule of law and also proportionate responses to problems? We are talking about housing a hundred families in a city of millions. This is a horrendous tragedy, but it's not something requiring declaration of a state of emergency under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004.

People need to get a grip.

(Or maybe they have a grip and are just playing cynical and heartless politics?)

I am not suggesting it happen. I am saying that Corbyn is being left to set the narrative. I am really surprised that the Tories cannot see the danger in this.
    Could have been nipped in bud if she had gone to speak to the residents and told them a task force was in place working at providing acceptable homes by the middle of next week.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    I know it sounds weird but this seems more normal. The Tories in power andhated by everyone and Labour loved because they're warm and fluffy.
    Just look at the drop.
    The scales have dropped from the publics eyes. And, she is personally taking the blame for the current impasse. Rightly so. If the Tories have even a flake of backbone they will tell her she is gone this week and that she will stay as PM until her successor is appointed. And do as she is told by the party. The candidates must make clear if they will seek a mandate from the electorate, and when and the party machinery should be turned full square on Corbyn and the Labour leadership.
    I expect them to do none of this. Because they are useless and entitled. They will be destroyed in the next election and they have nobody but themselves to blame.
  • Options

Errrr...what?

I am not sure why you are arguing with me. I am not the one suggesting it. I am the one observing that it will resonate unless the Tories can find a convincing, engaging counter-argument. This is a politics website and so I make no excuse for talking through the politics. The common consensus on here was that the Manchester and London attacks would play into the Tories' hands because they are the party of law, order and security, and because of Corbyn's past. Labour realised that very quickly and countered. I am just saying that yesterday's tragedy, its setting and its context are tailor-made for Corbyn and his message. If the Tories do not begin to grasp that soon it is going to cost them.

This is true.
  • Options

At the risk of sounding gauche, I will point out again that I did say that Theresa May's apparently sky-high approval ratings flattered to deceive.

A few of us feel vindicated on that - if on little else that has happened over the last week.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Right now, as people have been made homeless by this tragedy would you really want to be defending the property rights of absentee multi-millionaires who have only bought these houses and flats as investment opportunities?

Yes, of course. Wouldn't you, or have you abandoned principles such as the rule of law and also proportionate responses to problems? We are talking about housing a hundred families in a city of millions. This is a horrendous tragedy, but it's not something requiring declaration of a state of emergency under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004.

(Or maybe they have a grip and are just playing cynical and heartless politics?)
    If there are problems with re-housing the victims and relatives then the government will take the full blame. There are government/armed forces facilities in the Greater London area that can be made available.

Conservatives better hope a minister, with a few brain cells, is ahead of the game. No waffle or excuses. Get a bloody grip.
  • Options

So not gauche.

I wonder how the guy who consistently said 'Theresa May is a pound shop Gordon Brown' is feeling at the moment?
    Yeah, I forgot Brown was up against Cameron whilst May was up against Corbyn. CORBYN FFS!
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    edited June 2017
    Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories need to move fast here because if Corbyn becoming PM stops being this outrageous idea and starts being a normal and almost obvious choice, they are gone.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    felix said:

The Scotcon result was the only great bright spot of election night for me. Long-term though Scotlab will benefit most from any further weakening of the Nat brand. Predicting anything these days is nigh on impossible but the early signs shown by Corbyn's failure to embrace all of the Parliamentary party in his reshuffle suggests plenty of obstacles in the way yet of much greater success for Labour in the UK. They have a poll boost for now and I expect that to last a while but the Tory brand is also very resilient which a number of posters on here over the past few days have completely forgotten.

One of the oddest features of the overall result was the fact that even with a disastrous campaign the Tories gained 5+%.What they need soonish is a good leader and some interesting policies. I do wish Cameron and Osborne were back... or failing that some new blood as there is nothing in the current Cabinet to inspire.

The campaign was disastrous. They went into it on 43% and came out of it on 43%. (Meanwhile Labour went into it on 25% and came out of it on 40%.) The Tories gained compared to 2015, but that had happened already as some Labour voters switched because of Corbyn and (more significantly) Kippers switched after the referendum.

The main miscalculation the Tories made in calling the election, it seems to me, was discounting (or not even countenancing?) the idea that the opposition could consolidate. The Tories were always going to get 43%, which sounds like a winning score, but that leaves 57% for other parties. If you've killed the LibDems and Ukip, who else except Labour is the rational leftish voter going to vote for?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Scott_P said:
    I think it's safe to say the general election didn't really work out for Theresa...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I thought it was the Tories who wanted to nick your house, seems like Corbyn is quite happy to as well.

At least the Cons would wait until your were dead.

Imagine using a tragedy to further class war.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/15/tory-election-research-found-boris-johnson-was-deeply-divisive

This may mean MPs will block Boris from the final two - he may even not stand if he thinks he has no chance.

You can be sure that in a future GE, the Cons will be pushing for 1 on 1 leaders debates - probably 5 of them.
  • Options

Errrr...what?

Are we just off the back of a 6-year world war?

No, a tower block has been on fire.
    Go tell that to the PM's "advisers" but most importantly to the victims and relatives who have lost everything.

If the government is unable to act appropriately and decisively for a "tower block (that) has been on fire" then advise us what may be expected of them from an even greater emergency of cataclysmic proportions?
  • Options
    It's when, not if. May is finished. So who? Boris is immensely popular among Tories but he is also very polarising. What votes would he win back that May lost?

• Options
    MORE POLLS NEEDED
  • Options
    JackW said:

If there are problems with re-housing the victims and relatives then the government will take the full blame. There are government/armed forces facilities in the Greater London area that can be made available.

Conservatives better hope a minister, with a few brain cells, is ahead of the game. No waffle or excuses. Get a bloody grip.

Precisely. Or give a revolutionary socialist such a head of steam he will be in Downing Street by the end of the year.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Isn't it just temporary emergency accommodation?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    "Farron’s sideswipe at the ethos of the party he led was truly remarkable
    Paul Goodman"

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/06/farrons-sideswipe-at-the-ethos-of-the-party-he-led-was-truly-remarkable.html
  • Options

TGOHF said:

How many is Jezza taking in to his house ?

Same amount as the number of refugees Yvette took in I'd guess.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,456
    I have little doubt that Theresa May will have to stand down during the summer recess and that a new leader needs to be in place by the Autumn.
  • Options

It's when, not if. May is finished. So who? Boris is immensely popular among Tories but he is also very polarising. What votes would he win back that May lost?

The priority now is not to win votes, but to get a functioning government again which won't make blunder after blunder.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

A few of us feel vindicated on that - if on little else that has happened over the last week.

Having been quoted in Private Eye admitting that I got huge amounts wrong, I'm taking every opportunity on the other side of the fence that I can get for the while.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

So not gauche.

Yeah, I forgot Brown was up against Cameron whilst May was up against Corbyn. CORBYN FFS!
    I see that the beds are getting well and truly wet today.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    The scales have dropped from the publics eyes. And, she is personally taking the blame for the current impasse. Rightly so. If the Tories have even a flake of backbone they will tell her she is gone this week and that she will stay as PM until her successor is appointed. And do as she is told by the party. The candidates must make clear if they will seek a mandate from the electorate, and when and the party machinery should be turned full square on Corbyn and the Labour leadership.
    I expect them to do none of this. Because they are useless and entitled. They will be destroyed in the next election and they have nobody but themselves to blame.
    So your suggestion is May stays as caretaker, the Tories have a leadership election and then go to the country for another GE. That would take 3 months I guess.
    What happens to the Brexit negotiations and the ticking clock in the meantime?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339
    The Tories need to anoint Boris. Forget about about these dull-but-competent types - when the competent bit fades they're left naked. No, anoint Boris and do it now. If nothing else, he'll provide a bit of light relief for a country desperately in need of cheering up.
  • Options
    Something quite fundamental is happening in this country, and it all stems from 2008 and the failure of the establishment to regulate itself or punish itself for the mess it created. The hoarding of wealth by the elite, and the theft of public money by the same is beginning to become a recruiting sergeant for very left wing alternatives. In addition to this, we have all allowed a society to develop in which fame and fortune can be instantly obtained via text vote on reality shows or by the ability to kick a pigs bladder in a vague 20 degree arc. There's little drive to be successful further than that meaning 'celebrity' of the worst z list type. On the one hand, desire for accumulation of wealth and things above all else and the associated exposure to media that can go with it or facilitate it, and on the other the mugging off of public money to private, corporate hands.
    Then you have those that look upon the world and see that they have so little compared to their peers due to circumstance and dumb luck. It's a febrile powder keg. It's the idle wealth of the 20s and 30s set against the toil of the working man.
    Unsure where things will tip out but I can see wealth being replaced by striving, public access to technology replacing possessions, outcomes being judged on their public effect not how much money they generate. Intolerance of wealth, obscene wealth, will be a thing and will remain a thing.
    The times they are a changing.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TGOHF said:

Wait until corbyn/labour silent asylum policy gets put into action,your house is needed.
  • Options

So not gauche.

My bed is dry. It is a curious feeling at the moment for me,

As head of the provisional wing of the continuity Cameron army, I'm feeling vindicated.

As a Tory, I'm utterly devastated at the situation the party (and the country) finds itself in today.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Oh please... once a family gets into a multimillion pound house, how long before they get 'granted' a indefinite period to stay...

'Oh evil rich people turfing out poor homeless onto the street'...Corbyn would climax himself over those headlines

They should be provided emergency accomodation but not in others houses against their rights.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

I have little doubt that Theresa May will have to stand down during the summer recess and that a new leader needs to be in place by the Autumn.

Not the ludicrous Boris but someone who agrees with a soft Brexit that can carry the country. Hammond or Rudd are the obvious alternatives. Rudd apparently isn't bothered by the marginality of her seat.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    So your suggestion is May stays as caretaker, the Tories have a leadership election and then go to the country for another GE. That would take 3 months I guess.
    I'm not sure. I'm not sure what happens to it if they don't take that course. I'd assume David Davis goes into negotiations and is replaced if the Tories lose the ensuing GE by a Labour delegation. There's not really any other option.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017

Something quite fundamental is happening in this country, and it all stems from 2008 and the failure of the establishment to regulate itself or punish itself for the mess it created. The hoarding of wealth by the elite, and the theft of public money by the same is beginning to become a recruiting sergeant for very left wing alternatives. In addition to this, we have all allowed a society to develop in which fame and fortune can be instantly obtained via text vote on reality shows or by the ability to kick a pigs bladder in a vague 20 degree arc. There's little drive to be successful further than that meaning 'celebrity' of the worst z list type. On the one hand, desire for accumulation of wealth and things above all else and the associated exposure to media that can go with it or facilitate it, and on the other the mugging off of public money to private, corporate hands.
    Then you have those that look upon the world and see that they have so little compared to their peers due to circumstance and dumb luck. It's a febrile powder keg. It's the idle wealth of the 20s and 30s set against the toil of the working man.
    Unsure where things will tip out but I can see wealth being replaced by striving, public access to technology replacing possessions, outcomes being judged on their public effect not how much money they generate. Intolerance of wealth, obscene wealth, will be a thing and will remain a thing.

Most people are far better off than they were 30 or 40 years ago, but they don't appreciate it IMO. For example a few decades ago most people couldn't afford to fly to somewhere nice in southern Europe, today almost everyone can. But people seem to take that sort of progress for granted and just focus on the things they'd like to have but can't afford. And people who point this out, like I've just done, find themselves on the receiving end of vicious abuse for daring to question their "rage".
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I think it's safe to say the general election didn't really work out for Theresa...
    I assume these results are leading up to a VI.
  • Options

The priority now is not to win votes, but to get a functioning government again which won't make blunder after blunder.

Then it has to be Hammond.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The House rises for its summer recess on 20 July. Based on Hammond's cancellation of the Mansion House speech, and all the other ministers not barking in the night time, I'm not certain we'll have to wait even that long.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    So, it seems all the homeless families will be housed locally, without the need to confiscate other people's property.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

So, it seems all the homeless families will be housed locally, without the need to confiscate other people's property.

Indeed good.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    Brexit can be subtly changed from a destination to a direction. Something we sort of might like to do eventually with PM Leadsom.
  • Options

Hammond's last budget was a disaster...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Most people are far better off than they were 30 or 40 years ago, but they don't appreciate it IMO. For example a few decades ago most people couldn't afford to fly to somewhere nice in southern Europe, today almost everyone can. But people seem to take that sort of progress for granted and just focus on the things they'd like to have but can't afford. And people who point this out, like I've just done, find themselves on the receiving end of vicious abuse for daring to question their "rage".
    True enough. We have allowed striving to become a dirty word and championed entitlement and possession. Except, bizarrely, for those most disadvantaged whom are now supposed to strive for the good of their immortal soul.
    Technology, and only technology, will set humanity free. If we can get it out of the hands of those that suppress and control it.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    I'm not sure. I'm not sure what happens to it if they don't take that course. I'd assume David Davis goes into negotiations and is replaced if the Tories lose the ensuing GE by a Labour delegation. There's not really any other option.
    The Tories have no right to seek a fresh general election.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    As each day goes by Mr Corbyn looks more and more a Prime Minister of a government -in-waiting.His wisdom and magnanimity is shown by the olive branch to Owen Smith who,in return,has shown comradeship and solidarity in his noble acceptance.Labour is now a united party,the tribes have come together.The country is waiting and a strong and stable Mr Corbyn is ready to serve to prevent this DUP coalition of chaos from destroying the country.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

That is my view. DD should be left running the Brexit negotiations, both to reassure the Leavers and because there's no time for anyone else to come up to speed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    If they consider the country ungovernable they have a duty to seek one.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    DanSmith said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories need to move fast here because if Corbyn becoming PM stops being this outrageous idea and starts being a normal and almost obvious choice, they are gone.
    Too late, I'm afraid.
  • Options

As each day goes by Mr Corbyn looks more and more a Prime Minister of a government -in-waiting.His wisdom and magnanimity is shown by the olive branch to Owen Smith who,in return,has shown comradeship and solidarity in his noble acceptance.Labour is now a united party,the tribes have come together.The country is waiting and a strong and stable Mr Corbyn is ready to serve to prevent this DUP coalition of chaos from destroying the country.

Yes, there definitely should be a sarcasm emoticon here.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The search for the attributes that qualify Hammond goes on.

"Buggins turn" is what got us into this mess.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    The country is governable.
  • Options

The House rises for its summer recess on 20 July. Based on Hammond's cancellation of the Mansion House speech, and all the other ministers not barking in the night time, I'm not certain we'll have to wait even that long.
    Apart from labour non of the opposition want an election anytime soon. The SNP are in a mess, Lid Dems have no leader and the DUP will not let Corbyn in. So no early election likely
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    Not any more. It's a matter for the House.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Mrs May should announce that all local authority tower blocks will be reclad and fitted with external fire escape towers, or redeveloped to new designs.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    The country is governable.
    Then they should do it.
  • Options

That is my view. DD should be left running the Brexit negotiations, both to reassure the Leavers and because there's no time for anyone else to come up to speed.
    You went for Theresa though and look how she turned out.

These "safe but dull" types don't stand a chance against Corbyn, IMO.

Time to take a risk - Either Boris or possibly someone from the backbenches followed by an immediate election.

Needs to be someone who is believable on Brexit but who also has a bit of charisma and a bit of swagger.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

It's like Lammy immediatly saying 'people' should be arrested.

No, we should have an investigation, and if there is evidence of wrongdoing, then people should be arrested.

To have the labour party suddenly decending into dangerous popularism becuase they had a whiff of success should worry every sensible individual.

Yup, it points towards a chaotic government style if they got in.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Just for interest, but gossip and Guido are now suggesting a snap election for July 10th. Seems the negotiations with the DUP fell through and May used yesterday's tragedy to cover it up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    GIN1138 said:

Time to take a risk - Either Boris or possibly someone from the backbenches followed by an immediate election.

Needs to be someone who is believable on Brexit but who also has a bit of charisma and a bit of swagger.
    Kwazi :+1:
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I cannot tell if this is a parody or not...
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    And shut off gas to tower blocks.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

Sean_F said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Just look at the drop.
    Not any more. It's a matter for the House.
    Well, yes, I mean seek the agreement of the house for one. If that's their conclusion. Otherwise they govern and wait till being voted down.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

No, we should have an investigation, and if there is evidence of wrongdoing, then people should be arrested.

To have the labour party suddenly decending into dangerous popularism becuase they had a whiff of success should worry every sensible individual.

The government doesn't arrest people. Yet.
  • Options

I cannot see a path for it to happen in the short term
  • Options

So not gauche.

As head of the provisional wing of the continuity Cameron army, I'm feeling vindicated.

As a Tory, I'm utterly devastated at the situation the party (and the country) finds itself in today.
    That's fine and dandy TSE but there's a country to run and immense challenges ahead.

If Tories think Prime Minister May is the answer for one more day, let alone months or years then they have gone completely doolally.

If this tragedy had taken place 10 days ago then the exit poll would shown Jezza as largest party leader and heading for Downing Street.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Mrs May should announce that all local authority tower blocks will be reclad and fitted with external fire escape towers, or redeveloped to new designs.

What about non-LA-owned tower blocks?
  • Options

So not gauche.

Does the 'provisional wing of the continuity Cameron army' have a favoured Prime Ministerial candidate?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Kwazi :+1:
    Kwazi or Stewart
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    atia2 said:

DanSmith said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Too late, I'm afraid.
    I assume you'll be targetting Wimbledon ?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hammond's last budget was not a disaster. It lasted an entire week before the NIC u-turn. That's three whole days longer than the manifesto's dementia tax. Success is relative so on those grounds it is clear Philip Hammond is the right man for the job -- if anyone can find him, that is.
  • Options
    Another one goes.

Theresa May has lost another of her long-serving aides after Will Tanner, deputy head of Downing Street’s policy unit, decided to quit.

His departure follows the resignation of Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill, the prime minister’s co-chiefs of staff, as the Downing Street team is reshaped following the botched general election campaign.

https://www.ft.com/content/ad27bf00-51c2-11e7-bfb8-997009366969
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Get Jeremy Clarkson into the Commons asap.

Appoint Hammond as caretaker.

May, Hammond, then Clarkson.

Vroom!
  • Options
    atia2 said:

HaroldO said:

The government doesn't arrest people. Yet.
    Demanding it in the media is a worrying step, plus in court the defence will use it as proof of a witch hunt.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Well, Mays visit to the tower today was shambolic.

Should have met the residents, but assuming was worried she'd be criticised. To Corbyns credit, at least he got out there and showed some empathy.

She's doing massive long term damage to the tories now.
  • Options

So not gauche.

Does the 'provisional wing of the continuity Cameron army' have a favoured Prime Ministerial candidate?
    Osborne said something about not fumbling the ball next time, which I assume meant Gove. Others may have more insight.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

True, but I hadn't anticipated her extraordinary transformation from safe pair of hands to one-woman constitutional wrecking-ball.

The problem was emphatically not that she turned out too dull - quite the opposite.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Just for interest, but gossip and Guido are now suggesting a snap election for July 10th. Seems the negotiations with the DUP fell through and May used yesterday's tragedy to cover it up.

July 10th is a Monday, seems a bit odd.
  • Options

So not gauche.

Jeremy Hunt or Phil Hammond. Michael Fallon at a push.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    PAW said:

This may also affect a fair few shiny, expensive, newbuild / renovated residential blocks in cities throughout Britain and around the world.

Externally cladded leasehold flats are suspect.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,843

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

It was a real pleasure to publish this thread.

I wonder what Malc will make of it? ;)
    Actually, malcolmg made a very prescient remark about Brexit, and its potential effect on indy, about ten months ago.

He said that if Brexit was seen to be difficult, and if it was seen to cause political instability, then that would be seriously bad for the independence cause, and seriously bad for the SNP, as another vote for another kind of separation would look really unappetising.

Turns out he was right.

He may have a limited capacity for root-vegetable related insults, but malcolmg is no fool.
    He is no fool. I called this wrong. I thought Brexit would increase demand for independence. The other main thing I got wrong incidentally is that I thought Brexit would make no difference to immigration beyond the inevitable recession effect. I underestimated how much immigration is affected by making would-be immigrants unwelcome.
    Most immigration is driven by money.
    That's what I thought, mistakenly as it turned out. Saying foreigners not welcome is an effective way to reduce immigration. It's not "control" of any sensible kind, nor is it a sign of an open and civilised Britain that I would want to be a part of. But it does get the numbers down, which is all that May et al care about.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,520

Well, Mays visit to the tower today was shambolic.

Should have met the residents, but assuming was worried she'd be criticised. To Corbyns credit, at least he got out there and showed some empathy.

She's doing massive long term damage to the tories now.

There are some advantages to her hanging on whilst the party takes time to think about what happens next but the preponderance of disadvantages builds by the day. Her credibility is completely shot and we are not in a position to cope with a limping and fatally wounded PM. She really needs to go now.
  • Options
    PAW said:

At the risk of sounding like a heartless bastard. How much would that cost?

The answer is yes, it should probably happen, but it'll take many many years to get that done, and cost a heck of a lot.

Fires of this magnitude are very rare, surely the best, boring course of action is to have an investigation, find out exactly what happened, and then reasonable costed recommendations from there.
  • Options

OchEye said:

That's the date by which CCHQ has said candidates should apply. Would mean an August election possibly.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Get Jeremy Clarkson into the Commons asap.

Appoint Hammond as caretaker.

May, Hammond, then Clarkson.

Vroom!
    Yes, Clarkson is a bit shaky on Climate Change but at least he's a Remainer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

DanSmith said:

Blue_rog said:

Scott_P said:
    Too late, I'm afraid.
    I assume you'll be targetting Wimbledon ?
    Well, I can't justify tramping around the mean streets of Isleworth any more. I guess I'll do what I'm told.
  • Options

OchEye said:

Day before I go on holiday. I might not be coming back....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    edited June 2017
    I was knocked for saying it, but still maintain if Farage were a Con MP he would be leader and wipe the floor w Corbyn. Media friendly conviction and common touch.

People say he is divisive, but isn't (wasn't?) Jezza?
  • Options

OchEye said:

That's the date by which CCHQ has said candidates should apply. Would mean an August election possibly.
    Snap election for what???
  • Options

OchEye said:

August election when everyones on holiday...that would be 'interesting'
  • Options

OchEye said:

When we're all on holiday.
This discussion has been closed.