Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At least one of the final polls, surely, will have got GE2017

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    1987 City of Durham
    1992 and 1997 Lewisham East
    2001-date Islington South & Finsbury
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

currystar said:

Just been to vote in Hedge End, Eastleigh, I was the only one in there. In 30 minutes they had only crossed off 3 names. A very slow start. But then round here it does not seem that there has been an election taking place. No banners, no canvessers. Normally I am bombarded with Lib Dem leaflets. This time I have only had one.

That's odd. Have they all gone to Portsmouth?
    Are you a recognised Tory voter, national and local? If so then they are not wasting the paper. I've heard a lot of reports that the lib Dems have given up and had a look under the surface, through twitter searches and the occasional contact to find that is not the case. Although I can't recall farron visiting which may be more telling
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

I miss voting at a polling station.

If I had my way not voting at a polling station would count for half as it just isn't as good.

Then we'd see how many of the oldies cared about democracy.

I may be amenable for some exemptions.
    I live in Sheffield, I work in Manchester, and usually spend Thursday nights in Manchester.

I am allowed an exemption.
    Wanting to have a job over voting in person is not on the allowed exemption list, enjoy our half a vote.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    IanB2 said:

The bigger worry for pollsters is that the one who is right is right by accident? For five years everyone will assume that their adjustments must be the *correct* ones to make, then next time things will turn out differently once again.

Nailed it.
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

The Smithson Junior, official 2017 election forecast.

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

Poor Caroline.
    Yeah, what a 'shame' for the greens.
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

Are we still awaiting one more poll ?

Just one ....

UKGE .. Sampling 7am-10pm - Size 31,023,731 ..

With a sample like that it should be definitive.
    I dont know, somehow the subsamples still look suspect.

Good luck to MI5 with their work thwarting the people today.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On polling day in 2015 we shared our GE constituency voting history which was quite interesting. Here's mine:

2017 - Kingston &a Surbiton (Con/LD Marginal)
    2015 - ditto
    2010 - Vauxhall (safe Lab)
    2005 - Hammersmith (Lab/Con marginal)

I missed out on voting in 2001 by being less than 10 days underage

My vote history is as follows:

2001 - Bath, Tory
    2005 - Coventry South, Lib Dem
    2010 - Sheffield Central, Tory
    2015 - NE Derbyshire, Green
    1992 - Hertsmere, Tory
    1997 - Hertsmere, Tory
    2001 - Hertsmere, Tory
    2005 - Hertsmere, Tory
    2010 - Hertsmere, Tory
    2015 - Hertsmere, UKIP
    2017 - Hertsmere, ??

If I was 10 years older I would at least have had the chance to vote in South Hertfordshire.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,201

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

C 355
    L 215
    LD 11
    S 47
    O 22

I am very close:

Con 362
    Lab 215
    LD 11
    SNP 40

My certainty level is low, and I think it quite possible that the Con seats could be 40 less. There is a palpable half heartedness about the Tories. The farmers fields that are usually full of posters are bare.
    The sheep have already voted?

The change in the mood of the Tories was remarkable. Being a Tory canvasser can't be the most enjoyable of activities, yet the Tories I know were, for the first few weeks, absolutely loving it. Then everything changed.

The big story of the campaign is May's personal loss of aura and mojo. Her limitations have been fully revealed. The team we're sending into bat for us in the Brexit talks is weak, ill-prepared and in possession of no strategic advantages. That's a huge worry.
    And the opposite for Corbyn: unless Labour are trounced, his star is ascendant. He'll have seen off his detractors within the party. Again.
    It's something of a tragedy that only a Tory landslide will make Labour electable again. When Corbyn's MPs voted overwhelmingly to get rid of him it had nothing to do with consorting with terrorists or harbouring anti-semites or being too left wing. It was because he had not the first idea how to be a leader of a major party.

This election might have shown himto be a reasonable populist but it went nowhere towards showing he could lead a party. His equivocation on the EU and appointments like Diane Abbott and Long Bailey have cost Labour literally dozens of seats.
    BUT a) against May he didn't look so bad, and b) he was forced to make nonsense appointments by the boycott of the old top team.

The What If? of this campaign could be a Corbyn campaign backed by New Labour's remaining big hitters. Cooper in the job would have meant no Diane Abbott moments - according to polls the single most remembered event of the campaign. Which I am sure is what the left will be saying afterwards.

But there was a reason why people like Cooper could not work with Corbyn. Milne, McDonnell & co are hugely divisive figures with overtly Marxist agendas. They are in charge behind the scenes. If that changes, then compromise is possible. If it doesn't, it's not. That's why Labour needs to take a deep breath, not make quick decisions.

I agree Labour should take a breath, but hopefully today's result will at least demonstrate the potential of putting a bold agenda on the table.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,895
    edited June 2017

1987 City of Durham

This is the first time my vote is in a marginal due to urban-rural lab/Tory drift. It is actually slightly uncomfortable compared to being in a safe seat where powerlessness means you can blame everyone else !

Edit: Forgot Sheff Central was a marginal - Lib/Lab though so less crucial.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Brom said:

This. There is less skin in the game for the non Uni attending 50% this time than there was for the EU ref. Party politics is also a bigger turnoff than a direct question for them to answer like 'should we leave the EU?'.

50% of our youngsters did not turn into far left firebrands over a 6 week campaign, it's just ridiculous.

Tbh, a lot of those who support Corbyn are not 'far-left firebrands' either. Most of my friends support him, but I would never say that they are far left. The trouble is, they don't see Corbyn as far-left. They feel that any depictions of him as extreme are 'lies from the Tory press.'
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,212
    currystar said:

IanB2 said:

currystar said:

Just been to vote in Hedge End, Eastleigh, I was the only one in there. In 30 minutes they had only crossed off 3 names. A very slow start. But then round here it does not seem that there has been an election taking place. No banners, no canvessers. Normally I am bombarded with Lib Dem leaflets. This time I have only had one.

No idea, in 2010 this area was awash with orange everywhere. Nothing this time.
    Putting an Eastleigh postcode into the LibDem "where to help" website and it says stay in Eastleigh, but a Southampton postcode is sent to Portsmouth. So the latter must be priority.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,358
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Right - just off to vote. Turnout in Trafford expected to be down slightly - it's our special extra week of half term where we can take the kids on holiday and not pay summer holiday prices - pretty much all my daughters' schoolfreinds are away. Not that any of the Trafford seats are interesting enough for this to have an impact.

How can you have an extra week of half term in the middle of GCSEs and A-levels? Genuine question.
    Maybe it's primary schools only? That's probably it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

These voting histories are interesting. It's surely not normal to find people moving around the country to this extent?

I think alot of graduates are mobile into their 30s then settle doen somewhere. That's certainly my own experience.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    My GE history:

1979 - Durham (safe Labour)
    1983 - Birmingham Edgbaston (then, safe Con - Dame Jill Knight)
    1987 - Birmingham Yardley (then, always went with the Govt. - stayed Con for the last time)
    1992 - Dulwich (marginal Con --> Labour - Tessa Jowell)
    1997 - Reading West (marginal Con --> Labour)
    2001 - Wantage (safe Con - Ed Vaizey)
    2006 - Wantage
    2010 - Wantage
    2015 - Totnes (now a super-safe Con - Dr. Sarah Wollaston)
    2017 - Totnes
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

1987 City of Durham

This is the first time my vote is in a marginal due to urban-rural lab/Tory drift. It is actually slightly uncomfortable compared to being in a safe seat where powerlessness means you can blame everyone else !

Edit: Forgot Sheff Central was a marginal - Lib/Lab though so less crucial.
    My seats were marginal in 1992, 2005 and 2010.

I've never had trouble blaming everyone else.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,247
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If I had my way not voting at a polling station would count for half as it just isn't as good.

I live in Sheffield, I work in Manchester, and usually spend Thursday nights in Manchester.

Wanting to have a job over voting in person is not on the allowed exemption list, enjoy our half a vote.
    It's also the other half's birthday today. I have to be in Manchester today.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

C 355
    L 215
    LD 11
    S 47
    O 22

I am very close:

Con 362
    Lab 215
    LD 11
    SNP 40

My certainty level is low, and I think it quite possible that the Con seats could be 40 less. There is a palpable half heartedness about the Tories. The farmers fields that are usually full of posters are bare.

The change in the mood of the Tories was remarkable. Being a Tory canvasser can't be the most enjoyable of activities, yet the Tories I know were, for the first few weeks, absolutely loving it. Then everything changed.

The big story of the campaign is May's personal loss of aura and mojo. Her limitations have been fully revealed. The team we're sending into bat for us in the Brexit talks is weak, ill-prepared and in possession of no strategic advantages. That's a huge worry.
    And the opposite for Corbyn: unless Labour are trounced, his star is ascendant. He'll have seen off his detractors within the party. Again.
    It's something of a tragedy that
    This election might have shown himto be a reasonable populist but it went nowhere towards showing he could lead a party. His equivocation on the EU and appointments like Diane Abbott and Long Bailey have cost Labour literally dozens of seats.
    BUT a) against May he didn't look so bad, and b) he was forced to make nonsense appointments by the boycott of the old top team.

The What If? of this campaign could be a Corbyn campaign backed by New Labour's remaining big hitters. Cooper in the job would have meant no Diane Abbott moments - according to polls the single most remembered event of the campaign. Which I am sure is what the left will be saying afterwards.

But there was a reason why people like Cooper could not work with Corbyn. Milne, McDonnell & co are hugely divisive figures with overtly Marxist agendas. They are in charge behind the scenes. If that changes, then compromise is possible. If it doesn't, it's not. That's why Labour needs to take a deep breath, not make quick decisions.

I agree Labour should take a breath, but hopefully today's result will at least demonstrate the potential of putting a bold agenda on the table.
    Putting something bold on the table is only a positive if one thinks that boldness is a good idea. It's like bring principled, it's nothing to praise if the principles are not sound.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,912

On polling day in 2015 we shared our GE constituency voting history which was quite interesting. Here's mine:

2015 - ditto

1997: 4 months too young
    2001: Bethnal Green & Bow
    2005: One of the Lewishams, I think West
    2010: Battersea
    2012by: Croydon North
    2015/2017: Greenwich & Woolwich
    1945- SE Essex. Lab held. First election remembered. Too young to vote
    1959 (ist vote) -1979: SE Essex.... Con
    1983-2001: Castle Point Con (x3) then Lab-Con
    2005-2010. Braintree Lab then Con
    2015- Witham Con.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    1992 - Delyn
    1997 - Somerton & Frome
    2001/05/10 - Yeovil
    2015/17 - Southampton Test
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Civic duty done, and I surprised myself with my eventual choice.
    History
    1992 Southampton Test (now in Romsey and Southampton North)
    1997 south Norfolk
    2001 Witham
    2005 mid Norfolk
    2010 mid Norfolk
    2015 Broadland
    2017 South Norwich
    Morning and merry Christmas all
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    ab195 said:

I owe some thanks by the way. I commute in to London and usually vote after work to award myself ten minutes in bed; but I remembered the poster last year who almost didn't get back in time. Thanks, whoever it was, you roused me from my sleep.

Southam

Brom said:

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/872561253155299329

Presumably something similar is also going on with Survation?

You'd have to think that if turnout for GE2017 isn't up significantly (probably over 70%,) then the youth surge will have failed to materialise and that would be a good early indicator that the more Labour-leaning pollsters are wrong.

And beyond that, what if there is a rise in turnout - but it consists disproportionately of people who stayed at home in 2015, but were motivated to vote Leave last year, and have now decided to back Mrs May to deliver Brexit?

Voting commences in about 45 minutes, less than 16 hours to the Exit Poll. Tick, tock...

Anecdote alert. I’ve never seen my 20-something grandchildren so fired up to vote. It’s not their first election, either.

And it’s for Labour!
    Oh, and they voted Remain!
    As I've mentioned before it's not the children and grandchildren of PB members that Labour need the vote of. It's the 'don't care about politics' or 'the left school at 18s'. Are they really turned on to politics for the first time ever by Jeremy Corbyn? I have very, very strong doubts.
    One of my grandchildren, and a 'soon to be’ granddaughter-in-law teach what I still call VI formers. Thoise who can vote will, apparently, vote Labour. And the area in which they live is Tory .And it’s not JC that turns them on, appaerently, but the problems of housing, paying for Uni, and the (effective) cuts in education and health.

Anecdote, tiny sample etc I know, I know.

Corbyn talks about issues that concern young people. May doesn't.

+1.

Though I do feel that no one has really truly spoken to young people who haven't gone to uni (approx 50%). The tuition fees issue only addresses young people who do go to uni. When I was at uni I found most people there were already politically engaged and voting. I think those young people that aren't are those that haven't gone to uni.

Agreed. That's why 18-24 turnout will remain relatively low.

I think it will be up fro 44 to 50%. a 6% increase, thats what cleggasm got.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    1992 Winchester
    1997 Fife NE
    2001/5/10/15/17 Alyn & Deeside.

Pretty unremarkable on the face of it.

Today is the first time my vote will matter as A&D now almost marginal and no 39 on blue target list.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

2015 - ditto

My vote history is as follows:

2001 - Bath, Tory
    2005 - Coventry South, Lib Dem
    2010 - Sheffield Central, Tory
    2015 - NE Derbyshire, Green
    Bloody hell you move about a bit!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

This. There is less skin in the game for the non Uni attending 50% this time than there was for the EU ref. Party politics is also a bigger turnoff than a direct question for them to answer like 'should we leave the EU?'.

50% of our youngsters did not turn into far left firebrands over a 6 week campaign, it's just ridiculous.

Tbh, a lot of those who support Corbyn are not 'far-left firebrands' either. Most of my friends support him, but I would never say that they are far left. The trouble is, they don't see Corbyn as far-left. They feel that any depictions of him as extreme are 'lies from the Tory press.'
    Perhaps though if he had a touch less baggage and a bit more Trudeau to go with the policies he would be casting his net a fair amount wider.

I'm expecting queues and a party atmosphere at polling stations in Brixton, Hackney, Dalston, New Cross and Peckham tonight, and it won't impact the result a jot.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    My wife's telling at local university in polling district where 30% of those on register are students. It'll interesting to hear what their turnout appears to be like.

I'm in Bedford with CON majority of 1053.
  • Options

History
    1997 south Norfolk
    2001 Witham
    2005 mid Norfolk
    2010 mid Norfolk
    2015 Broadland
    2017 South Norwich

Was it Corbs ?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Granddaughter was, on Thursday last, called to a job interview in Manchester at midday. She’s desperate to get back to Essex by 9.55pm.
  • Options

Brom said:

You'd have to think that if turnout for GE2017 isn't up significantly (probably over 70%,) then the youth surge will have failed to materialise and that would be a good early indicator that the more Labour-leaning pollsters are wrong.

And beyond that, what if there is a rise in turnout - but it consists disproportionately of people who stayed at home in 2015, but were motivated to vote Leave last year, and have now decided to back Mrs May to deliver Brexit?

Voting commences in about 45 minutes, less than 16 hours to the Exit Poll. Tick, tock...

Anecdote alert. I’ve never seen my 20-something grandchildren so fired up to vote. It’s not their first election, either.

And it’s for Labour!
    As I've mentioned before it's not the children and grandchildren of PB members that Labour need the vote of. It's the 'don't care about politics' or 'the left school at 18s'. Are they really turned on to politics for the first time ever by Jeremy Corbyn? I have very, very strong doubts.
    One of my grandchildren, and a 'soon to be’ granddaughter-in-law teach what I still call VI formers. Thoise who can vote will, apparently, vote Labour. And the area in which they live is Tory .And it’s not JC that turns them on, appaerently, but the problems of housing, paying for Uni, and the (effective) cuts in education and health.

Feels sorry for Diane Abbott, thinks the social media bullying of her horrible.
    Would you have felt the same for a middle aged white male Tory?

I feel sorry for her for the way she was treated by her party - "resigned due to ill health" at the peak of the campaign in the middle of Oxford Circus Tube en route to the BBC. Imagine the fuss if the Tories had behaved similarly.
    I don't understand feeling sorry for her for anything other than if she has been the subject of racist insults. Otherwise, she is a very experienced politician who was presenting as the prospective Home Secretary, and the criticisms she faced were entirely to do with her ability to do the job and based off factual past statements and her own mistakes.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

malcolmg said:

So, anyone here having doubts about a Con majority?

Not in God's country, even if we do have our share of dumb halfwits who will believe Tory lies
    salmond - gone and now forgotten
    https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/872478487109652480
    DON'T BLINK :grin:

I'm travelling most of today, getting back from Germany hence a postal ballot. Hope to be back just before 10.00 pm. Glad to be away from the febrile atmosphere for a while. I must admit I'm a bit concerned about the young remainers but don't think they have the numbers
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Steady flow of voters this morning when I went to vote, I think ICM and Comres are most likely to be right
  • Options
    Seeing peoples voting histories, some really move around a lot.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Con and LD tellers at my polling station in Kingston & Surbiton when I voted at 0730 this morning. Clearly very close
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

C 355
    L 215
    LD 11
    S 47
    O 22

I am very close:

Con 362
    Lab 215
    LD 11
    SNP 40

The changed.

The worry.
    It's party.

That is Corbyn's main lesson. Labour must not be afraid to be bold. It cannot spend its time second-guessing right wing newspapers that will be hostile whatever it does. At the same time, though, Labour cannot win if those selling its message are seen as weak on security and unpatriotic. There are things for both sides to learn and absorb. And there is no need for a challenge to Corbyn right now. Labour is about to become completely irrelevant. The party should use that luxury wisely. The Tories will own it all tomorrow and it will all be about them delivering on the promises they have made.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    My vote-swap vote is being cast in Twickenham CON-LD marginal. My actual vote in Bedford CON-LAB marginal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,247

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Granddaughter was, on Thursday last, called to a job interview in Manchester at midday. She’s desperate to get back to Essex by 9.55pm.
    She should be able to get an emergency proxy.
  • Options
    By the way the last nights YouGOV changed ot's methodology. They re-allocated don't know's to their preferred choice of PM. this widened to tory lead to 7%.

They did not stick to their guns like Survation. And you know what it makes sense.
  • Options

My vote-swap vote is being cast in Twickenham CON-LD marginal. My actual vote in Bedford CON-LAB marginal.

Hallam/NED here ;)
  • Options
    currystar said:

Same - here voted at 7.30, only the third to have voted.

Horrible day out there though, weather-wise. A day to stay in on the PlayStation and then - ooh look, its gone 10 pm....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Stephen Bush:

Jeremy Corbyn will beat Ed Miliband in vote share, but will end up with fewer seats

My strong expectation from travelling the country and talking to campaigners is that Jeremy Corbyn will beat Ed Miliband’s vote share in 2015 and may even match Tony Blair’s in 2005. But I also think that these extra voters are insufficiently distributed thanks to first past the post, and that the party will lose significant numbers of seats.

This is great if politics is an argument in the pub. But the blunt truth is that Labour would swap Ed Miliband’s 31 per cent for Gordon Brown’s 28 per cent in a heartbeat, as that 28 per cent delivered 40 Scottish Labour MPs and a hung parliament.

It feels to me that once again, Labour will have gained voters while moving further away from office.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/06/britain-brink-most-dangerous-constitutional-rewrite-modern-history
  • Options

Con and LD tellers at my polling station in Kingston & Surbiton when I voted at 0730 this morning. Clearly very close

Or they think it might be close, rather.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    2005 - Vale of York (now Thirsk and Malton)
    2010 - Thirsk and Melton
    2015 - Vauxhall
    2017 - Dulwich and West Norwood
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

currystar said:

Are you a recognised Tory voter, national and local? If so then they are not wasting the paper. I've heard a lot of reports that the lib Dems have given up and had a look under the surface, through twitter searches and the occasional contact to find that is not the case. Although I can't recall farron visiting which may be more telling
    That reminds me of my first win; we made a lot of effort to identify all the active Tories and made sure they weren't canvassed and, as best we could, not delivered anything either. I will always remember the Tories at the count expressing amazement at my win given that they "hardly saw us doing anything at all" during the election. It just proved to me that Tory activists don't speak to their neighbours.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Yougov in its final poll has the Tories doing equally well with ABC1 and C2DE voters on 42% each, Labour does slightly better with ABC1s getting 36% with them and 35% with C2DEs, the LDs do significantly better with with ABC1s getting 12% with them to 7% for C2DEs, UKIP do better with ABC1s getting 3% with them 8% with C2DEs, the SNP and Plaid also do slightly better with C2DEs getting 5% with them and 4% with ABC1s and the Greens the their score with ABC1s and C2DEs on 2% each
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/07/final-call-poll-tories-seven-points-and-set-increa/
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

She was told she couldn’t, I think. Either that, or work committments meant it was impossible to go to the Returning Officer.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

What's a vote-swap vote?
  • Options

Stephen Bush:

Jeremy Corbyn will beat Ed Miliband in vote share, but will end up with fewer seats

My strong expectation from travelling the country and talking to campaigners is that Jeremy Corbyn will beat Ed Miliband’s vote share in 2015 and may even match Tony Blair’s in 2005. But I also think that these extra voters are insufficiently distributed thanks to first past the post, and that the party will lose significant numbers of seats.

This is great if politics is an argument in the pub. But the blunt truth is that Labour would swap Ed Miliband’s 31 per cent for Gordon Brown’s 28 per cent in a heartbeat, as that 28 per cent delivered 40 Scottish Labour MPs and a hung parliament.

It feels to me that once again, Labour will have gained voters while moving further away from office.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/06/britain-brink-most-dangerous-constitutional-rewrite-modern-history

And the constituency changes the Tories will oversee in the next parliament will make things even more imbalanced, while empowering the executive further. That is not a good thing.

• Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Perhaps though if he had a touch less baggage and a bit more Trudeau to go with the policies he would be casting his net a fair amount wider.

I'm expecting queues and a party atmosphere at polling stations in Brixton, Hackney, Dalston, New Cross and Peckham tonight, and it won't impact the result a jot.
    Yes, I'm a big fan of Trudeau. If tumblr could create a politician from scratch, that politician would probably be like Trudeau.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    There might not be any need for a change of Labour leader, I reckon unless Labour end up as the largest party, there'll be a leadership challenge by Sunday.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

She was told she couldn’t, I think. Either that, or work committments meant it was impossible to go to the Returning Officer.
    The issue may be that an interview doesn't count as "called away for work". The emergency proxy criteria are, understandably, quite tight.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

History
    1997 south Norfolk
    2001 Witham
    2005 mid Norfolk
    2010 mid Norfolk
    2015 Broadland
    2017 South Norwich

Was it Corbs ?
    It wasn't May
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Voted before work. Quite busy.

Tories coming out to vote. Like a scene from Sean of the Dead.
  • Options
    nunu said:

ab195 said:

I owe some thanks by the way. I commute in to London and usually vote after work to award myself ten minutes in bed; but I remembered the poster last year who almost didn't get back in time. Thanks, whoever it was, you roused me from my sleep.

Southam

Brom said:

And it’s for Labour!

Corbyn talks about issues that concern young people. May doesn't.

+1.

Though I do feel that no one has really truly spoken to young people who haven't gone to uni (approx 50%). The tuition fees issue only addresses young people who do go to uni. When I was at uni I found most people there were already politically engaged and voting. I think those young people that aren't are those that haven't gone to uni.

Agreed. That's why 18-24 turnout will remain relatively low.

I think it will be up fro 44 to 50%. a 6% increase, thats what cleggasm got.
    I'll go 55 - I don't remember quite so much intensity en with the cleggasm, and I think being only a year out from the referendum means angry young people will remember to vote more.,
  • Options
    nunu said:

By the way the last nights YouGOV changed ot's methodology. They re-allocated don't know's to their preferred choice of PM. this widened to tory lead to 7%.

They did not stick to their guns like Survation. And you know what it makes sense.

It's almost as if they have used the last two weeks to build their name recognition and then the final poll to say that they called it right.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,200
    edited June 2017
    My worry is that Lab pick up 20 seats in Scotland thus giving them the edge nationally.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

And you've been telling us all how the Lib Dems are going to be hammered (except in Edinburgh West natch). They would bite your hand off for that right now. As I would for the SNP score!
    Not true.

I've been - by the standards of this site - pretty optimistic on the LibDems.

Here's my list:

Twickenham
    One other SW London seat (either Richmond, Kingston, or C&W)

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Plus two from my possible list:
    Argyll & Bute
    Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb
    LibDem 'sources' seem optimistic about Twickenham, Kingston, Richmond at least being in play, East Dun, Cheltenham & W Ox in play, St Albans a better than average swing. Gloomier re. southport, worried for Norfolk - Lewes, St Ives, Caithness most unlikely.
    There was a big swing to the LDs in the Holyrood elections last year, and the SNP will likely be down to 38-39%. I think it's likelier than people think.
    Lib Dems also ahead in Vauxhall too.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/872550006934433792
    You can still get 15/2 Lib Dems Manchester Withington.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

People who've seen social media lit up with the Corbyn fire coming out "I'll show 'em".
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Ms. Apocalypse, wasn't impressed with Trudeau's comments when Fidel Castro snuffed it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885

What's a vote-swap vote?
    Along with voting tactically in a choice of two constituencies, it's the kind of thing that people on polling panels do.

Just regular voters... :confounded:
  • Options
    Turnout is brisk turnout is brisk
    Or sluggish. Maybe steady.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

There might not be any need for a change of Labour leader, I reckon unless Labour end up as the largest party, there'll be a leadership challenge by Sunday.

I think if labour are on 200-230 seats Corbyn is safe. They don't have it in them to challenge him if he does 'ok', and the surge in their vote would convince them he'd win a challenge. Under 200 and I think he goes to avoid a challenge that splits the party.
  • Options
    Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

And you've been telling us all how the Lib Dems are going to be hammered (except in Edinburgh West natch). They would bite your hand off for that right now. As I would for the SNP score!
    Not true.

Here's my list:

Twickenham

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Argyll & Bute
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb
    LibDem 'sources' seem optimistic about Twickenham, Kingston, Richmond at least being in play, East Dun, Cheltenham & W Ox in play, St Albans a better than average swing. Gloomier re. southport, worried for Norfolk - Lewes, St Ives, Caithness most unlikely.
    There was a big swing to the LDs in the Holyrood elections last year, and the SNP will likely be down to 38-39%. I think it's likelier than people think.

Vauxhall does NOT carry across to anywhere else in the entire country. The sitting MP is a hardcore Labour brexiteer in one of the most diverse and liberal constituencies in the country. It is unique.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

Not true.

Here's my list:

Twickenham

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Argyll & Bute
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb

Vauxhall does NOT carry across to anywhere else in the entire country. The sitting MP is a hardcore Labour brexiteer in one of the most diverse and liberal constituencies in the country. It is unique.
    Way more students in Manchester W than Vauxhall
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Ms. Apocalypse, wasn't impressed with Trudeau's comments when Fidel Castro snuffed it.

Yeah, I didn't like his comments on that as well. I was disappointed in Bernie too on that one, who I've also come to like in recent months.
  • Options

currystar said:

Same - here voted at 7.30, only the third to have voted.

Horrible day out there though, weather-wise. A day to stay in on the PlayStation and then - ooh look, its gone 10 pm....
    You sneering at the young people Mark? I can only imagine your comment in a C. Montgomery Burns accent.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

People who've seen social media lit up with the Corbyn fire coming out "I'll show 'em".
    Nah. These voters are suspicious of that new fangled wireless and have a soft spot for that nice Mr Disraeli.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

Not true.

Here's my list:

Twickenham

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Argyll & Bute
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb
    If the SNP really are down to 38% and labour on 29% then a swathe of the central belt must start to turn red. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a Corbyn surge here.

And Tories will still make some big gains from the SNP on 26%. It's a good thing tory and labour support in Scotland are in distinct areas, they can both make significant gains without letting the SNP through the middle too much. and even the Libdems will GAIN at least 2 seats.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

Not true.

Here's my list:

Twickenham

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Argyll & Bute
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb

Yep - very safe for Labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DM_Andy said:

I think if labour are on 200-230 seats Corbyn is safe. They don't have it in them to challenge him if he does 'ok', and the surge in their vote would convince them he'd win a challenge. Under 200 and I think he goes to avoid a challenge that splits the party.
    After last time's cock up they will surely take a bit of time to plan, co-ordinate and take soundings? Acting by the weekend would be idiotic, unless they plan to leave and set up a new party.
  • Options
    isam said:

What's a vote-swap vote?
    Along with voting tactically in a choice of two constituencies, it's the kind of thing that people on polling panels do.

Just regular voters... :confounded:
    Eh? I still don't get it, surely everybody gets one vote?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    isam said:
    I don't think either of those two are exactly Einstein.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Jonathan said:

No that used to be mid afternoon when the Tories rounded them up from the care homes, before extended postal votes. I was amazed at the number of little old ladies would slide up to me telling for the lib Dems whispering " I took their lift because he's a nice young man with a smart car but voted for you"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

nunu said:

It's almost as if they have used the last two weeks to build their name recognition and then the final poll to say that they called it right.

It's thoroughly despicable.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

Not true.

Here's my list:

Twickenham

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Argyll & Bute
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb
    St Ives is an interesting case - lots of LD tacticals who jumped ship to Green/Lab after the coalition are (saying they are) coming back. The previous LD incumbent is popular locally, the Tory MP is quite a polarising figure.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Tories coming out to stop Corbyn before work and will be joined by pensioners later, can enough students surge out of bed for Corbyn to match them?
  • Options

What's a vote-swap vote?
    Not a real thing - iirc correctly it's just OGH in a gentlemans agreement with a friend in twickenham, that they vote ld and he votes lab, since their own preferences have no chance in their own seats.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nunu said:

And they gave their model to cover other eventualities too.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    1987 -93 Holborn+ St.Pancras.
    1997 In Taiwan DNV.
    2001-05 Bolton NE.
    2010-now Hexham.

Shocking day for it up here. Ultra safe, so no matter though,
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What's a vote-swap vote?
    Not a real thing - iirc correctly it's just OGH in a gentlemans agreement with a friend in twickenham, that they vote ld and he votes lab, since their own preferences have no chance in their own seats.
    But how does he get two votes?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

The issue may be that an interview doesn't count as "called away for work". The emergency proxy criteria are, understandably, quite tight.
    She expects to be away from Manchester by about 3. Just hope there are no traffic jams on the M6 or A14.
    Has happened. Not often, though!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    My vote history is very boring

1987 - Newark - Richard Alexander
    1992 - Newark - Richard Alexander
    1997 - Newark - Richard Alexander
    2001 - Newark - Patrick Mercer
    2005 - Newark - Charlotte Creasy
    2010 - Sleaford & N Hykeham - Roger Doughty
    2015 - Sleaford & N Hykeham - Steven Hopkins
    2016 - Sleaford & N Hykeham (By-Election) - Caroline Johnson
    2017 - Sleaford & N Hykeham - Caroline Johnson
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Roger said:

isam said:
    It's like watching Lawrenson disagreeing with Robbie Savage on MoTD. If even one of them is right it's by accident.
  • Options
    Look at Scotland! SNP down to 43 seats, losing same number as labour GB wide!

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/872692409091723264
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

DM_Andy said:

After last time's cock up they will surely take a bit of time to plan, co-ordinate and take soundings? Acting by the weekend would be idiotic, unless they plan to leave and set up a new party.
    I'm uncertain how quickly they will move. If it looks like a split, which I dont think is on the cards as the labour brand is even stronger than anyone thought, Corbyn might go Quickly to throw a spanner in the works,
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,200
    tlg86 said:

nunu said:

@Casino_Royale can sue for cruel and unusual punishment.
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, turnout is firm, it's fruity, it's quite nutty as well, I think.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    TOPPING said:

My worry is that Lab pick up 20 seats in Scotland thus giving them the edge nationally.

This isn't 2010
  • Options
    nunu said:

Clegg gone - I think that's a change from their model before. A shame.
  • Options
    nunu said:

That'll do pig.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

nunu said:

And they gave their model to cover other eventualities too.
    Obviously I don't want this to happen, but it would be funny if Survation come up trumps and You Gov were actually close all along.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    Roger said:

isam said:
    Understatement of the year. I always say we are poorly served by our politicians but we are equally poorly served by our media - with a few honourable exceptions in both cases.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Freggles said:

YouGov asked me how naughty running through fields of wheat is
    Trespass? Criminal damage? Conspiracy to commit the above?
  • Options

Mr. Woolie, turnout is firm, it's fruity, it's quite nutty as well, I think.

Turnout in the flat 100% and it was a polarised bedroom this morning.
  • Options
    Anyone live in a labour marginal want a vote-swap with me(I'll take a picture)? I live in a safe Labour seat, I'll vote for your party if you vote against labour. Message me or quote me. Thanx!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,689

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

C 355
    L 215
    LD 11
    S 47
    O 22

I am very close:

Con 362
    Lab 215
    LD 11
    SNP 40

It's something of a tragedy that only a Tory landslide will make Labour electable again. When Corbyn's MPs voted overwhelmingly to get rid of him it had nothing to do with consorting with terrorists or harbouring anti-semites or being too left wing. It was because he had not the first idea how to be a leader of a major party.

Yes, I think that's very fair. He's proven himself to be a competent campaigner. In the past I've described him as a poor salesman selling a poor message:

I was wrong. He's a competent salesman selling a poor message to idiots.

Whereas May comes out of this election as a poor sales manager who has just screwed up a product launch into an empty market.

But Corbyn's leadership skills still appear to be terrible. *If* we have PM Corbyn tomorrow morning, then it'll be interesting to see if he can avert chaos.
    Poor messages don't seem to be a barrier. Truthfully, I don't think a Corbyn premiership is more damaging than Brexit and Trump, both of which are happening. He won't be PM however.

On the topic, I have doubts about Survation's methodology on turnout. I am uncomfortable about ICM applying a Labour discount because they never do as well as they poll. ICM may coincidentally hit the right figures, but the approach lacks rigour IMO. The other polls suggest a majority of some kind, which is the main thing from a Conservative POV
  • Options

kle4 said:

What's a vote-swap vote?
    But how does he get two votes?
    He doesn't. I think he was saying he is voting in Bedford, but for the candidate his friend would like, and his friend will vote in twickenham for the candidate mike would like.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, 'funny' isn't the word I'd used. We'd have an IRA sympathiser in Number 10, and a man who wants to disband MI5 in Number 11.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 42%, 370 seats
    Lab 34%, 203 seats
    SNP 4%, 42 seats
    LD 11%, 12 seats
    UKIP, 3%, 0 seats
    Green 2%, 0 seats
    PC, 3 seats

Not true.

Here's my list:

Twickenham

O&S
    Edinburgh West
    Fife NE
    East Dunbartonshire

Ceredgion

Westmoreland & Lonsdale
    North Norfolk
    Sheffield Hallam

Argyll & Bute
    St Ives
    Bath
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Lewes
    OxWAb

Yep - very safe for Labour.
    A shame, really, as Leech is a really good guy
  • Options
    I'm looking toward to changing my avatar back tomorrow - I keep seeing it and thinking it's Someone else.
  • Options
    Today, we will discover if voting youngsters really are water-soluble....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Prediction time?

Con 44
    Lab 33
    LD 9
    UKIP 3

Con - 380
    Lab - 205
    LD - 6
    UKIP - 0
    SNP - 40
    Green - 1

At least that's what I think. Maybe a bit high for Con and a bit low for Lab.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scotland is the one place I can accept a lot more Labour MP's.
This discussion has been closed.