Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour view as the campaign draws to a close

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

I have a theory on the youth impact on polling and the potential for it to influence the result.
    In crude terms we can split that age group into two different groups, roughly equal. One half is slightly more intelligent, more engaged with politics, willing to take part in polls and likes the freebies on offer.

Struggling to reconcile "intelligent" and "like the freebies on offer"

Doesn't add up literally or metaphorically...
    I deliberately used the word slightly in terms of intelligence and was implying that free tuition fees and a write off of old loans was attractive. I then tried to compare, crudely, that the other group had no freebies on offer of interest to them and therefor did not have the same motivation, but thanks for your response.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

I also know the sneering and snobbery aimed at Coldplay is rather pathetic.

Coldplay, the Theresa May of 'rock' music.
    Prediction: in ten years Coldplay will be seen as unquestionably great. Their problem is they just got too popular, so insecure people (such as yourself, it seems) feel forced to prove their coolness - to separate themselves from the plebs - by sneering at them.

This process happens time and again in pop music. The Bee Gees are an excellent example. Became massively famous, became as reviled as Coldplay. Now no one doubts their enormous talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

100 million views. 100 million! And rightly so. A genius song.
    This insecure seeker after coolness (so very cutting from a secure personality like yersel') always liked the Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever is a great movie, and so is the the soundtrack.

Coldplay are still pish.
    Nah. Codplay, at their best, are great

Viva La Vida is just a magnificent song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE

(400 million views!)

I defy anyone to hear this and not feel a tiny bit of an *uplift*

Play it LOUD
    Would you believe it is the first Coldplay song I have ever heard (or realised I've heard at any rate)? It was decent.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    kle4 said:

calum said:

htt://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/871796444411428864

Is it me, or is Think Tank an objectively weird description for a group?
    The Think Tank had to outsource their thinking !
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Jason said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

On thread, I pretty much agree with Don - I'll be delighted but surprised if we actually win, but the recovery from 20 points behind a month ago has been awesome, and I think Theresa's hope for a multiple blank cheque (let us negotiate something with unspecified priorities which will cost an unspecified amount which you'll pay for with unspecified tax rises) is going to be quite rightly denied.

Ah Nick: I thought you might join me in my lonely eyrie as someone prepared to say that Corbyn might just do it.

Have absolutely no model or basis for this. Only that when someone surprises on the upside, does not fall over or make any appalling gaffes and appears reasonable (however unjustifiable in reality this may be), their opponent does the opposite and the mood is for change, then strange (and to me unwelcome) things can happen.
    There hasn't been one poll showing Corbyn with a plurality of seats, let alone a majority.

If he becomes PM it will be the biggest polling failure in the history of modern western politics.
    No, he needs to be considerably closer than that. TMay will get all the Unionists, because they loathe Corbyn. I'm also really not sure the LDs would want to be tainted by Corbyn, in a government likely to fall apart in a few months, as the SNP and Labour fall out (which they would, and they could both be badly damaged by the association).

It really would be a Coalition of Chaos. Lab + SNP + Plaid (maybe). At least they would be united in their hatred of Britain.
    Imagine a Corbyn government in real practical terms rather than a remote possibility. Propped up by Sturgeon and the other riff raff, he would be pulled to pieces by them and indeed his own party.

Sturgeon would eat him for breakfast, and he would start chucking concessions out like confetti. Imagine the reaction of the Unions. They would have more power than they did in the 60s and 70s, and Corbyn would be cowed by them.

The markets would tank, and business confidence and investment would drain out of this country overnight.

It really does not bear thinking about.
    All the evidence is that Jezza is as stubborn as a mule, and not a pushover. Frankly, it is near impossible to pressure him into doing something that he doesn't want to do! Indeed his inflexibility may be an issue.

While Theresa seems rather likely to bend with the wind.
    Corbyn is a rabble rousing old fool, and nothing much more than that.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    Chelsea fans - Hazard out for three months after operation on fractured right ankle

Thought he wanted to go to Real
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    Cyclefree said:

A genuine dilemma: it's a long-time colleague's leaving do on Friday. A long lunch followed by a booze up has been planned. In Borough Market, right by the company office. Part of me says we should carry on as normal, another part says it would be wholly inappropriate. Thoughts?

Go. I doubt those grieving or injured will be offended. And who cares what the terrorists think. And those businesses are providing jobs and need your custom.

Do not be afraid. Pope John Paul II said that when he became Pope and again in Poland under Soviet control.

Regardless of who said it, it's a great way of living your life.

It's not fear, it's whether it's respectful. But, as you say, there is a bigger picture. I hadn't considered the businesses and jobs angle. That makes a lot of sense.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

A genuine dilemma: it's a long-time colleague's leaving do on Friday. A long lunch followed by a booze up has been planned. In Borough Market, right by the company office. Part of me says we should carry on as normal, another part says it would be wholly inappropriate. Thoughts?

Go and celebrate

Yep, that's most likely. We'll see how it looks when they let us back in (looks like Wednesday at the earliest now). Celebrating next to makeshift shrines for the victims and police tape seems crass and insensitive, no matter how important it is to carry on as normal.

Perhaps you could consider making a donation to some suitable charity if you're worried about the possible insensitivity. But I would still go because your neighbouring businesses need your support.

• Options
    calum said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

Very smart to get other people to do things for you - though clearly in that case they should only outsource to people who outsource that thinking as well.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

ABBA are the prime example of this phenomonen.

Exactly. I've left instructions that if I'm ever in a coma, Abba should be played on a loop in the background - if that doesn't perk me up, switch me off.

On the office party, I think you should go ahead. The meriier the better. There's the obvious point about not letting the terrorists win, and slightly more subtly, if you were a victim, wouldn't you like the party to go ahead anyway?
    as my coffin goes down the aisle Ive requested Fiesta by the Pogues

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A9mSs28DpTVZzEIAqdxLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=pogues+fiesta&fr=mcafee#id=11&vid=98d79a1529121f9792f4a6375e38f0c8&action=view
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is anyone still undecided how to vote?

I never decide until the last moment. Not that it matters: the Tories are going to win a stupendous majority in this area.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    One of my favourite lines in Peep Show references Coldplay...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WRQ8HT_WA
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Start with a toast to the victims then enjoy yourself.you've done nothing wrong.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

I'd have said it was 100% appropriate.

https://twitter.com/samuelcoates/status/871790471126941696
    That is bloody awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    AndyJS said:

I never decide until the last moment. Not that it matters: the Tories are going to win a stupendous majority in this area.

I'm undecided, but Tories should win comfortably where I am.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Our postal votes went in a week ago for the conservatives of course
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    What evidence does Don Brind have that TM wanted a landslide to face down her party critics? Hopefully we will be spared a government of surrender monkeys.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    kle4 said:

calum said:

Sewage tank would be more appropriate for this bunch
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

Buy a round of drinks for the victims, toast them, donate the leftover cash to charity. Carry on.

• Options

Surely Coldplay have only got 1 song? The massively shit overblown up themselves durgey one that makes you want to top yourself?

very accurate
  • Options

Won't you be a bit tired after staying up all night watching the election results?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Go out and drink. I'm going to Old School Yard down the road from there on Friday. Don't let the bastards win. If anything you should get more drunk and merry than usual. Do it for the victims who I'm sure would all prefer their nightspots to keep going rather than not
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017

SeanT said:

Jason said:

Prediction: in ten years Coldplay will be seen as unquestionably great. Their problem is they just got too popular, so insecure people (such as yourself, it seems) feel forced to prove their coolness - to separate themselves from the plebs - by sneering at them.

This process happens time and again in pop music. The Bee Gees are an excellent example. Became massively famous, became as reviled as Coldplay. Now no one doubts their enormous talent.

Yep. I used to refer to the Bee Gees as one of my guilty pleasures. Now they are just a pleasure and I don't care who knows it.

I finally bought The Visitors album last week, so I have all of them now (my parents loved Abba, so I heard it a lot in the car growing up in the late 80's-early 90's, their tastes must have transferred over to me somewhere)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2017
    OGH is definitely trolling a little... retweeting this to his tweet on TMay's plans (not sure if done the same for Corbyn's 'review' tweet)

https://twitter.com/jon_halsall/status/871777991260602375
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Drink, man, drink! Party on! It's what they want us to stop doing, the miserable, Allah-bothering bastards.

DRINK
    A man after my own heart
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

May is not the Bee Gees. She is not Coldplay. Both wrote their own tunes and demonstrated not only popularity ,but creativity.

If May were a band, she would be Jive Bunny. Popular initially with her nostalgic remixes, but ultimately with nothing much to say.
    I agree! i never made the comparison. I was just pointing out that people like to sneer at very popular acts, but these acts are often - usually - very popular because they are very talented.

Though I'm not sure TMay is *quite* as bad as Jive Bunny.
    I genuinely can't think of anything original from May. Nothing at all. Mostly carries on what Dave started. Borrows from Ed. Borrows from Nigel. Evokes Maggie through her gender. But offers nothing really of her own at all.

It's remarkable really when you think about it. Not a single idea. Even John Major had his cones hotline.
    May is a curious blend of echoes of the past delivered in a overly self-conscious quirky English style. She's the political Flying Lizards.
  • Options
    When my son was born, like most babies he had mild jaundice. I couldn't get Coldplay's Yellow out of my head. I sang it to him. It was sweet.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

This insecure seeker after coolness (so very cutting from a secure personality like yersel') always liked the Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever is a great movie, and so is the the soundtrack.

Coldplay are still pish.
    Nah. Codplay, at their best, are great

Viva La Vida is just a magnificent song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE

(400 million views!)

I defy anyone to hear this and not feel a tiny bit of an *uplift*

Play it LOUD
    Some nice songs, particularly "Don't Panic", but it is Boffin Rock
  • Options

Exactly. I've left instructions that if I'm ever in a coma, Abba should be played on a loop in the background - if that doesn't perk me up, switch me off.

On the office party, I think you should go ahead. The meriier the better. There's the obvious point about not letting the terrorists win, and slightly more subtly, if you were a victim, wouldn't you like the party to go ahead anyway?
    as my coffin goes down the aisle Ive requested Fiesta by the Pogues

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A9mSs28DpTVZzEIAqdxLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=pogues+fiesta&fr=mcafee#id=11&vid=98d79a1529121f9792f4a6375e38f0c8&action=view
    Ring of fire fore me
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

May is not the Bee Gees. She is not Coldplay. Both wrote their own tunes and demonstrated not only popularity ,but creativity.

If May were a band, she would be Jive Bunny. Popular initially with her nostalgic remixes, but ultimately with nothing much to say.
    I agree! i never made the comparison. I was just pointing out that people like to sneer at very popular acts, but these acts are often - usually - very popular because they are very talented.

I genuinely can't think of anything original from May. Nothing at all. Mostly carries on what Dave started. Borrows from Ed. Borrows from Nigel. Evokes Maggie through her gender. But offers nothing really of her own at all.

It's remarkable really when you think about it. Not a single idea. Even John Major had his cones hotline.

She's pretty disappointing. A decent Labour leader would be marmalising her

But she's very likely to win and she's very likely to be negotiating Brexit so I'm just praying she has deeply hidden talents.

And now, gin.
    Likely to win? Honestly, this is going to be a landslide. I'm sticking to my prediction on this.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    calum said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

10 mins on google/wiki.
    Thick Yoons, hope they were charged a fortune.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Diane Abbott on Sky News shortly .... :smiley:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    SeanT like Coldplay because, like him, they started at UCL (London's second best college).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

Yep. I used to refer to the Bee Gees as one of my guilty pleasures. Now they are just a pleasure and I don't care who knows it.

Also Elton John, the Carpenters. Phil Collins and Genesis.
    Coldplay aren't fit to lick Benny and Bjorn's spangly boots! 90% of their songs are instantly forgettable. Yellow and the one with the backwards video are the only things they've written that have made any lasting impression on my mind.

Also a terrible insult to the Bee Gees and Phil Collins to compare them to Chris Martin et al. Coldplay are more like Simple Minds, but without the interesting early stuff.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Surely the best GE Bee Gees song is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZY9oYSSjFI
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Drink, man, drink! Party on! It's what they want us to stop doing, the miserable, Allah-bothering bastards.

DRINK
    Although, bizarrely, it seems the promised reward for these twats is a party in heaven with a load of virgin girls.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT like Coldplay because, like him, they started at UCL (London's second best college).

What's the best college?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505

OGH is definitely trolling a little... retweeting this to his tweet on TMay's plans (not sure if done the same for Corbyn's 'review' tweet)

https://twitter.com/jon_halsall/status/871777991260602375

As with all political "what ifs", difficult to say, but I'd wager that she'd have fallen to bits much earlier than May.

May had a very good, long honeymoon. Unfortunately, she's been shown up to be a not-so-good campaigner when it matters.

That said, if she gets a majority of 60-80ish or above, she'll get some breathing space for a while.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

I finally bought The Visitors album last week, so I have all of them now (my parents loved Abba, so I heard it a lot in the car growing up in the late 80's-early 90's, music/their tastes played by your parents can really rub off on you).
    Indeed - my generation's parents loved ABBA, and I always found it very notable that in our sixth form common room, where CDs were always playing music, near everyone would stop and sing along when ABBA came on.

I have a whole bunch of singles which played endlessly on a loop on the radio, 936 and 1161, golden oldies, when I was ferried about in my mum's car. Rhinestone Cowboy, Mull of Kintyre, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

But she's very likely to win and she's very likely to be negotiating Brexit so I'm just praying she has deeply hidden talents.

And now, gin.
    Likely to win? Honestly, this is going to be a landslide. I'm sticking to my prediction on this.
    It is so am I .150 at least.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

When my son was born, like most babies he had mild jaundice. I couldn't get Coldplay's Yellow out of my head. I sang it to him. It was sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCKIraYQjPM
  • Options
    I think I've only heard one Coldplay song.

I wonder if this is how other people feel when I refer to the disastrous Angeli dynasty of the Eastern Roman Empire.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I need popcorn.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I once listened to this song about 50 times in a row, without a break. It's that good.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Do you live in one of those Tory targets in north Wales like Wrexham or Delyn?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

And now, gin.
    I'm going for 400+ Tory seats.

Labour will not know what has hit them. This surge nonsense is just that.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    Richy Gervais has come out for Corbyn, if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

I'm undecided, but Tories should win comfortably where I am.
    Ditto, probably going to go Ind.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

Yes.

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

And now, gin.

What is your basis for this?

I think they'll win too, but I'm interested in why you think they'll get a landslide.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, it is very good. Heard it first on a short Spectator podcast.

Which reminds me, I need an election anthem. I went for the Avengers theme for the GE (violin version) and a piano version of Here I Go Again by Whitesnake for the referendum (before knowing the result). The agony of choice.

Anyway, I've got to bugger off. Have TV to watch and a tiny bit of work to try and do.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

It looks like the PB panel thinks you oughta go. Sounds right to me. I only know about wakes from what I've read, but they can be both boisterous and respectful can they not?
  • Options

Well that's that then. Game over. (Wonders why they bother)
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

JackW said:

I need popcorn.
    She had just been on channel 4 news with Jon snow.Very slow and deliberate.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

JonWC said:

Coldplay fan who also saw them at Wembley.. easily the most impressive show I've ever seen. How many bands can play over twenty songs at a concert?

Hmm. I think it is a generational thing. I saw your posting and my first thought was if I saw a band that played less than 20 songs I would feel cheated. But most of the bands I watch have been around for decades. Of those I have seen in the last couple of years

Springsteen regularly does 30 plus songs - 33 when I saw him at Coventry last year
    Fleetwood Mac did 23 at Leeds in 2015
    The Eagles did 27 at Leeds the year before
    ELO did 20 at Nottingham

Even the young upstarts Suede did 27 at Leeds last year.
    I saw Paul Simon play for almost four hours a few years ago. I didn't count how many songs he sung, but it was a lot.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JonWC said:

Coldplay fan who also saw them at Wembley.. easily the most impressive show I've ever seen. How many bands can play over twenty songs at a concert?

Hmm. I think it is a generational thing. I saw your posting and my first thought was if I saw a band that played less than 20 songs I would feel cheated. But most of the bands I watch have been around for decades. Of those I have seen in the last couple of years

Springsteen regularly does 30 plus songs - 33 when I saw him at Coventry last year
    ELO did 20 at Nottingham

I saw Paul Simon play for almost four hours a few years ago. I didn't count how many songs he sung, but it was a lot.
    Awesome.
  • Options
    If May = 150 maj with a lousy campaign, what maj would a good campaign from the Tories get? Just arsking.
  • Options

We shall see. I have an instinctive 'no smoke without fire' reaction to so much polling showing a surge, even though I know that is a fallacy and try not to overdo it. I do think it still likely that Labour will have recovered somewhat - the LDs weren't really advancing much even before the surge, and the campaign has been good, so I can believe some people returning who were planning to sit things out - even though I don't think it can be as much it seems.

People like being told how awesome everything can be.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

And now, gin.

I think they'll win too, but I'm interested in why you think they'll get a landslide.
    I think it all depend on what's uppermost in voters' minds as they enter the polling stations. If it's security/defence, 400 Tory seats is very possible. If it's care homes, NHS, schools, etc. they could be 50 seats lower.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

Coldplay aren't fit to lick Benny and Bjorn's spangly boots! 90% of their songs are instantly forgettable. Yellow and the one with the backwards video are the only things they've written that have made any lasting impression on my mind.

Also a terrible insult to the Bee Gees and Phil Collins to compare them to Chris Martin et al. Coldplay are more like Simple Minds, but without the interesting early stuff.
    Karen carpenter has the best voice of all time for me.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2017

And so has an 86 year old lady friend of mine, entirely compos mentis-ly.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    I saw The Rolling Stones back in 2003, I think they played every song from their forty licks album, which contained 40 songs
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

And now, gin.

I would guess on the basis that pre-election call that seemed perfectly possible, that real elections showed there was some basis to those thoughts, and on the assumption that campaigns don't change things so quickly so much.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    What I meant is the newspapers/broadcasters often have stories of imams or "community leaders" condemning these attacks but they never feature them prominently. They'll do it as a small news brief in the corner, if that.

FPT:
    Ishmael said:
    That is genuinely excellent to hear, but it needs airtime. We want the arch-imam on prime time tv. I don't buy the idea that it is best targeted in sermons only, because I'd like to get the secular muslims actively onside rather than pigeonholing it as a theological issue. And note that many/most bombers turn out to have had a distinctly secular booze n women lifestyle prior to radicalisation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JonWC said:

ELO did 20 at Nottingham

I remember going to see Lenny Kravitz Just after the 7/7 bombings and he was on stage for around 3 hours, some of which was just him and his band jamming and doing covers of songs about togetherness and love. It is one of the best gigs I've been to.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr 64,

"Karen carpenter has the best voice of all time for me."

Now you're talking. Number two is probably Joan Baez.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Could be significant:

"Asked if Labour was heading for a good night, one well-placed party source replied: “No. Not at all. Not one bit. They are all wrong.”"

https://www.ft.com/content/39dd413a-47b5-11e7-8519-9f94ee97d996?mhq5j=e3

(Google it to read).
  • Options

I wonder if this is how other people feel when I refer to the disastrous Angeli dynasty of the Eastern Roman Empire.

When did they release that album?
  • Options
    JackW Conservative Bedwetting Index

Con Maj 102 (+2)

Another Lab seat bites the dust.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

I was scanning the Conservative Party manifesto and came across something I hadn't heard of before. They plan to create nine* Her Majesty's Commissioners for Trade after Brexit. I did some googling. It seems these dated back to the empire. Their job was to make sure the colonies made their necessary economic contributions to the mother country.

* John McDonnell's quip about the only numbers in the manifesto are page numbers isn't quite true. There are a half dozen or so numbers. This is one.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Ave it latest projection!

CON holding on despite difficult campaign and useless manifesto
    Poor results in London and South likely to be more than offset by better results elsewhere including Scotland

CON 44%
    LAB 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 4%
    GRN 3%
    SNP 3%
    OTH 4%

CON 348
    LAB 232
    LD 5
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 43
    PC 3
    OTH 18

CON maj 46

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited June 2017
    Toms said:

It looks like the PB panel thinks you oughta go. Sounds right to me. I only know about wakes from what I've read, but they can be both boisterous and respectful can they not?
    funerals are some of the best fun youll ever have
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505

I just can't see it now. The feeling I get is there is a groundswell against the Tories after 7 years of government, and I do expect more younger people to turn out and support Corbyn that Miliband.

In the end, I suspect that there will be a cling to nurse feel amongst many traditional swing voters, who may have toyed with a different vote, and that should be enough for a comfortable working majority. But landslide? It just doesn't feel like that now. The places the Tories need to win look a bit remote for them now that some polls have them down to 1-4%. I think they're overstating Labour, but I can't see them being that far out.
  • Options
    Just wiki-ed the BeeGees. ’Founded 1958.' Gulp.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

It was amazing.

Annie Lennox (when with the Eurythmics) and Stevie Nicks (when in her pomp) are particular favorite female voices I really enjoy listening to.
  • Options
    Diane Abbott really is coming on Sky News .... soon .... honest guv .... :smile:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think it all depend on what's uppermost in voters' minds as they enter the polling stations. If it's security/defence, 400 Tory seats is very possible. If it's care homes, NHS, schools, etc. they could be 50 seats lower.

Except not everyone thinks about security/defence and thinks the Tories are the best, as this stuff on police cuts shows - although my jaunt with corbynistas at the weekend was illuminating, I've heard similar from some others today.
  • Options
    I think everyone is going to wake up to a 120-125 seat Con majority on Friday. The mood music has changed after Saturday night, even within the London liberal bubble that is my social group.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Do you live in one of those Tory targets in north Wales like Wrexham or Delyn?
    No Aberconwy for Guto Bebb. Watched a report a couple of days ago on ITV Wales on Delyn and Wrexham very good for conservatives just wanting out of Europe
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

When did they release that album?
    Oh I don't know. Sometime around 150BC
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

Music is a generational thing, once you stop taking a major interest in it very little happens to change your views,
    You may register a "good" song but won't know who sang it. I live in a musical time warp where nothing
    Has happened since 1975, the Beatles are progressive and the stones are hard rock. In afew years time the warp will shift
    And it will be the Who, Elton John etc being what people want but I do live in a community who's average age is 75.
    A night out is like an afternoon in a UK day centre.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Poor results in London and South likely to be more than offset by better results elsewhere including Scotland

CON 44%
    LAB 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 4%
    GRN 3%
    SNP 3%
    OTH 4%

CON 348
    LAB 232
    LD 5
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 43
    PC 3
    OTH 18

CON maj 46

Interesting figures, although I'd have thought a 10 point lead would deliver a bigger majority than 46.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Go. Do not change your plans other than to eat and drink more the usual, and leave an excessively large tip.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    kle4 said:

I would guess on the basis that pre-election call that seemed perfectly possible, that real elections showed there was some basis to those thoughts, and on the assumption that campaigns don't change things so quickly so much.

True. @AndyJS's FT link would appear to corroborate that.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

CON 44%
    LAB 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 4%
    GRN 3%
    SNP 3%
    OTH 4%

CON 348
    LAB 232
    LD 5
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 43
    PC 3
    OTH 18

CON maj 46

Ave_it in Conservative Bedwetting Scandal !!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

JonWC said:

ELO did 20 at Nottingham

I remember going to see Lenny Kravitz Just after the 7/7 bombings and he was on stage for around 3 hours, some of which was just him and his band jamming and doing covers of songs about togetherness and love. It is one of the best gigs I've been to.
    Aren't Grateful Dead the winners of this competition, every time?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

CON 44%
    LAB 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 4%
    GRN 3%
    SNP 3%
    OTH 4%

CON 348
    LAB 232
    LD 5
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 43
    PC 3
    OTH 18

CON maj 46

46 majority on a 10 point gap seems a little low - piling up votes in safe seats?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

I saw The Rolling Stones back in 2003, I think they played every song from their forty licks album, which contained 40 songs

I went to that tour, and they played B sides w Keith Richards on vocals!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr 64,

"Karen carpenter has the best voice of all time for me."

Now you're talking. Number two is probably Joan Baez.

I haven't heard much of JB. I'll listen out for her. What's her best known song?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ave_it said:

CON 44%
    LAB 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 4%
    GRN 3%
    SNP 3%
    OTH 4%

CON 348
    LAB 232
    LD 5
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 43
    PC 3
    OTH 18

CON maj 46

46 majority on a 10 point gap seems a little low - piling up votes in safe seats?
    It is possible we will do particularly well with ex UKIP in rural/semi-rural areas where we already hold the seats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

snip.

My basis is entirely gut rather than data points, although they are looking good.

I had a wobble mid-point where my guts started going weird but ok now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jason said:

May is a curious blend of echoes of the past delivered in a overly self-conscious quirky English style. She's the political Flying Lizards.
    The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band? "Adolf Hitler on vibes – nice!"

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Has Polly written anything this campaign, or has she retired to her Tuscan retreat?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think everyone is going to wake up to a 120-125 seat Con majority on Friday. The mood music has changed after Saturday night, even within the London liberal bubble that is my social group.

Maybe even higher. The public have decided on Labour's bonkers experiment and will quietly deliver their verdict.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    MaxPB said:

I have noticed the same thing within my London bubble.

The Corbynites in my life (in real life and on social media) have started sounding shrill, angry, desperate. It's a big tonal shift from where we were last week. They've gone from being optimistic and cheerful to hectoring and nasty. The bubble has burst.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Ave_it said:

CON 44%
    LAB 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 4%
    GRN 3%
    SNP 3%
    OTH 4%

CON 348
    LAB 232
    LD 5
    UKIP 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 43
    PC 3
    OTH 18

CON maj 46

Ave_it in Conservative Bedwetting Scandal !!
    I am staying as dry as ever! strong and stable! :lol:
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    HaroldO said:

On topic, this is a very strange way to campaign to avert a landslide

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/871744304695443458

It's a very odd way to campaign to win seats too.

He can only be doing this so they can post videos online of him getting large crowds for his speeches....but then only hardcore fans would watch them.
    If this were Theresa May, I would think it meant something.

But there could be a multitude of reasons Corbyn is visiting such seats.
This discussion has been closed.