Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 heralds the return of two party politics

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Jonathan said:

The horrible thing about terrorism is that it works. Train noticeably emptier this morning. Conscious about the events of the weekend as I approach London with requisite stiff upper lip. Newspapers don't help.

Our offices are in Borough Market. The whole area is still closed off so we are not open today. If that applies to a bigger area around London Bridge a lot of people will be working from home today.

• Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

RobD said:

How many more terrorist attacks do we need to have before you start to think..ok we need more police officers on the streets.

3 attacks under mays watch.

You do know that labour's plan for 10,000 new police officers will only become a reality towards the end of this Parliament as admitted by Diane Abbott. And by the way where is she - she is the shadow home sec
    if diane abbott oversaw 3 terrorist attacks in 3 months you would be shouting at the rooftops but because you have tory goggles on you refuse to debate the issue and hold people to account
    Interesting that we have not really seen her after either the Manchester bombing, or this one.
    Where is she? She could be Home Secretary by Friday - surely she should be leading Labour's response?
    stop thinking about diane abbott and ask yourself why you refuse to give the police a decent pay rise and tax cuts for people who don't live in this country.

this is the party your voting for.
    the leader you want is someone who cut police by 20,000, oversaw 3 terrorist attacks under her watch and told the police federation - that they're scaremongering to say that britain would be less safe.

PARTISAN TORIES who care more about their party than their country.
    Does your requirement to post here end when your contract ends 10.00 pm Thursday?
    at least, i don't knock on peoples homes and talk to them about the ira.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Radio Times with what they consider will be the key moments of election night.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-02/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-2017-general-election-night-coverage

I'm getting too excited :o
    I'm in Boston so election night will begin for me at 5PM. That is going to feel odd.
    2pm for me :smiley: The 1 minute delay on the internet feed will be most annoying!
    Sky News' live YouTube channel has a much shorter delay, only a few seconds. Might be worth switching to that at 10pm.
    youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

I'm three hours ahead of the UK, so election night for me will start at 1am! Definitely an all night party :)
    Ooo, I could watch it on sky.. then flip back to BBC and watch it again. That, or turn it off in despair. :D
    I am tempted to go with ITV for the results. In 2015 they focused on results to a greater extent than the other broadcasters. The BBC was hopeless and I don't trust them to have learned any lessons.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Jonathan said:

The horrible thing about terrorism is that it works. Train noticeably emptier this morning. Conscious about the events of the weekend as I approach London with requisite stiff upper lip. Newspapers don't help.

Today is a holiday in much of Europe which might account for part of it but yes, point taken.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Where is she? She could be Home Secretary by Friday - surely she should be leading Labour's response?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4569314/Diane-Abbott-BANNED-lone-TV-appearances.html

Talking of MIA ....Where is Hammond? .... He is the Chancellor .... might not be by the weekend though ....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Quick Q - only tangentially related to the current situation.

Are services in mosques carried out in English?

I remember a number of years ago, christian services changed from being conducted in latin to the language of the local population.

Could this be regarded as a 'barrier' if the services are performed in arabic?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    JackW said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4569314/Diane-Abbott-BANNED-lone-TV-appearances.html

Talking of MIA ....Where is Hammond? .... He is the Chancellor .... might not be by the weekend though ....
    I think he actually had an article in the Telegraph on the night of the attack. So he is around.. lurking...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

Why won't the tory party pay police officers a decent salary?

but the tory party gives massive tax cuts to rich people who don't live in britain

can someone answer this please?

Only if you can explain this tax cut to rich people who don't live in Britain.

And while you're at it, perhaps you can explain what they're doing paying tax in the first place?
  • Options

How many more terrorist attacks do we need to have before you start to think..ok we need more police officers on the streets.

You do know that labour's plan for 10,000 new police officers will only become a reality towards the end of this Parliament as admitted by Diane Abbott. And by the way where is she - she is the shadow home sec
    if diane abbott oversaw 3 terrorist attacks in 3 months you would be shouting at the rooftops but because you have tory goggles on you refuse to debate the issue and hold people to account
    I have just told you under labour the 10,000 police will not be on the streets for the next 3 years and Dianne Abbott has gone AWOL. She could be home sec on friday so why is she not on the media
    Good question. Even scarier is that Theresa May could be Prime Minister on Friday so why is she not on telly?
    Where have you been. Full statement from no 10 yesterday and further statement after Cobra today
    Why do you care more about your political party than your country?

What has your country done to you that makes the tory party more important?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Jonathan said:

Looks like we're in for a few days squalid campaigning ,chucking accusations on security to gain or defend a party position . It's a real shame.

Whoever wins, we need to wake up on Friday morning without any hint of any truth in the claim 'its Isis wot won it'.

The parties should have agreed a joint statement, we're united on security.

But are we? Are the parties agreed on police being able to shoot to kill? Are we agreed on using drones to take out our enemies abroad that are planning attacks here? Are we agreed on using ultimate (nuclear) force to defend our nation? Are we even agreed to have that force in place, patrolling the oceans, ready to strike?
  • Options

but the tory party gives massive tax cuts to rich people who don't live in britain

And while you're at it, perhaps you can explain what they're doing paying tax in the first place?
    why don't you talk to your friends at the daily telegraph.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

RobD said:

Interesting that we have not really seen her after either the Manchester bombing, or this one.
    stop thinking about diane abbott and ask yourself why you refuse to give the police a decent pay rise and tax cuts for people who don't live in this country.

the leader you want is someone who cut police by 20,000, oversaw 3 terrorist attacks under her watch and told the police federation - that they're scaremongering to say that britain would be less safe.

Corbyn & Abbott are dangers to the state. And as for John McDonnell :o
  • Options

Sick burn!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    RobD said:

JackW said:

I think he actually had an article in the Telegraph on the night of the attack. So he is around.. lurking...
    Hammond is actually TravelJunkie, trolling his soon-to-be-ex-boss, Theresa May.....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Jonathan, that's also down to saturation coverage, smartphones meaning there are more photos and footage, and the country being more emotional than it was a few decades ago.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Looks like we're in for a few days squalid campaigning ,chucking accusations on security to gain or defend a party position . It's a real shame.

Whoever wins, we need to wake up on Friday morning without any hint of any truth in the claim 'its Isis wot won it'.

But are we? Are the parties agreed on police being able to shoot to kill? Are we agreed on using drones to take out our enemies abroad that are planning attacks here? Are we agreed on using ultimate (nuclear) force to defend our nation? Are we even agreed to have that force in place, patrolling the oceans, ready to strike?
    People need reassurance today. Not party political project fear.
  • Options

RobD said:

JackW said:

Hammond is actually TravelJunkie, trolling his soon-to-be-ex-boss, Theresa May.....
    LOL. Na, even Hammond hasn't tried to tax foreigners not living in the UK :p
  • Options

Jonathan said:

We can't have an agreed security policy until both sides start being honest with each other.

People care more about their political party than they do their country.

Your country should always come first.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2017
    Typo said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Radio Times with what they consider will be the key moments of election night.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-02/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-2017-general-election-night-coverage

I'm getting too excited :o
    I'm in Boston so election night will begin for me at 5PM. That is going to feel odd.
    2pm for me :smiley: The 1 minute delay on the internet feed will be most annoying!
    Sky News' live YouTube channel has a much shorter delay, only a few seconds. Might be worth switching to that at 10pm.
    youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

I'm three hours ahead of the UK, so election night for me will start at 1am! Definitely an all night party :)
    Ooo, I could watch it on sky.. then flip back to BBC and watch it again. That, or turn it off in despair. :D
    I am tempted to go with ITV for the results. In 2015 they focused on results to a greater extent than the other broadcasters. The BBC was hopeless and I don't trust them to have learned any lessons.
    CNN's coverage of the US election last November was a model for all election nights. No CGI theatrics or time spent talking to clueless voxpops, just detailed analysis from people who knew what they were talking about.
  • Options
    JackW said:

The police knocked down the terrorists on Saturday in eight minutes. What more would you have wanted them to do?
    From the armed response team nothing more. The operational question ongoing is should the "baton police" now have discreet sidearms?
    Is it, and come to think of it, how many police carry tazers? But from early reports, it was a BTP constable and an off-duty Met officer who tackled them, and there might have been some PCSOs in the vicinity, and I'm not sure we'd want to be arming those.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    edited June 2017

RobD said:

Does your requirement to post here end when your contract ends 10.00 pm Thursday?
    at least, i don't knock on peoples homes and talk to them about the ira.
    No. You bore everyone rigid with petty sixth form politics. If I wanted to read puerile party political drivel I'd go to Con Home or the Guardian comments section. Hopefully school starts soon
  • Options

Why don't you answer the question?

In any case, my friends at the Guardian are more efficient offshore tax planners.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I find these stupid arguments between two groups of posters spouting biased party bullshit tiresome
    Please take your handbags and go offline so people trying to make a contribution to the debate don't have to read them. It's not as if they are even amusing
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, that's also down to saturation coverage, smartphones meaning there are more photos and footage, and the country being more emotional than it was a few decades ago.

I blame Diana
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Embarassing interview from the culture secretary live on itv right now.

Culture secretary like a rabbit in headlights. cant answer basic questions.

1) Why did theresa may cut 20,000 police officers?
    2) Why did theresa may tell the police federation on 20th may 2015 that they were scaremongering the public saying that people would be unsafe to terrorism?
    3) Why do you allow saudi arabia to fund mosques in this country?

traincrash interview

Too many of our politicians in all parties are no good at what used to be basic political tradecraft: making speeches; being interviewed; building support for policy X.
    Agreed. They need to be challenged to defend their positions and forced to get out and campaign up and down the country.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
    RobD said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32806520

theresa may in 2015 telling the police federation to stop scaremongering about police cuts and the police warned the military would be needed in time of crisis.

theresa may lecturing police officers in link above.

If its more cost effective to use the military in times of crisis, why is that a bad thing?
    because we've had 3 terrorsit attacks under mays watch and there arent enough police offices and every single terrorist was known to the police.
    The police don't monitor them. That's MI5's job.
    It occurs to me that we actually need to be putting a lot more resources into the Prevent effort.
    Clearly it's impossible for the security services to closely monitor 23,000 individuals. It is far from impossible for Prevent to engage with that number. Some interventions will be successful; some won't - but in any event, we would better understand who out of that number is likely to be a real threat.
  • Options
    JackW said:

He might be PM?
  • Options

In any case, my friends at the Guardian are more efficient offshore tax planners.
    can we agree that the daily telegraph and guardian should pay tax.

and hmrc and the tory party arent doing anything about tax evasion. shut them all down.

the fewer newspapers we have the better. its all biased trash. nobody reports the news anymore.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    alex. said:

JackW said:

I don't understand... The police seem to have dealt with these events incredibly well. Why are we talking like they didn't?

What ever the short comings in intelligence - and no doubt we'll hear plenty more in the woulda shoulda coulda vein, it's difficult to fault 8 minutes from first report to three dead terrorists.
    Difficult to fault in the terms of the operational effectiveness of what was available in London. However if the baton wielding PC had a sidearm the three terrorist would likely have been stopped even earlier.

I fear it's a debate we have to have. Where are the armed response teams in towns and rural areas?
    Arming of police is a different question, and is arguably not really related to money at all.
    We currently have strict tests for policemen who want to be armed. Many officers fail those tests. If we move to routinely arming police, we either have to accept that we will arm police who would have failed our current tests, or bar otherwise competent officers from being in the police.

So which is it? Reduced standards for firearms officers, or barring more people from the job?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323

I have just told you under labour the 10,000 police will not be on the streets for the next 3 years and Dianne Abbott has gone AWOL. She could be home sec on friday so why is she not on the media
    Good question. Even scarier is that Theresa May could be Prime Minister on Friday so why is she not on telly?
    Where have you been. Full statement from no 10 yesterday and further statement after Cobra today

I care about my Country to the point I do not want a trio of communists trashing our economy, putting the unions in charge, attacking aspiration and destroying business that creates the weatlh to pay for the public sector
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

JackW said:

So we can't exactly accuse Hammond of hogging the limelight then. At this rate he'll be on "Wanted" posters by Friday.
  • Options

the difference between me and you is simple; you care more about the tory party than you do your country.

the tory party interests come FIRST the country second.

The interest of the country must always come first on every single policy issue from tax, security, everything.

For anyone who puts party above country needs to be held to be account

you should be totally ashamed that you put your party over your country

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    midwinter said:

JackW said:

He might be PM?
    In Lamb’s constituency yesterday, according to BBC East.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

I care about my Country to the point I do not want a trio of communists trashing our economy, putting the unions in charge, attacking aspiration and destroying business that creates the weatlh to pay for the public sector
    Surely its a politbureau not a trio of communists..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Blue_rog said:

I blame Diana
    Don't think our emotional response changed. The way we portray ourself changed. Speaking to family about the eastend blitz they were absolutely bloody terrified and truth was some way from our national myth. Seems par for the course.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I find these stupid arguments between two groups of posters spouting biased party bullshit tiresome
    Please take your handbags and go offline so people trying to make a contribution to the debate don't have to read them. It's not as if they are even amusing

You're not alone there.
  • Options

The police knocked down the terrorists on Saturday in eight minutes. What more would you have wanted them to do?
    How do you sleep at night?
    No deep fried babies after 6pm - give you awful wind. Boiled babies are absolutely fine!

That's my tip!

I imagine your virtuous indignation must give you terrible indigestion - and probably a bit nippy on the moral high ground too....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Mark,
    "
    Does your requirement to post here end when your contract ends 10.00 pm Thursday?"

Leave the lad alone.

As Oscar Wilde nearly said. "It's always nice when Corbyn's kiddies give you the benefit of their inexperience."
  • Options

alex. said:

JackW said:

I don't understand... The police seem to have dealt with these events incredibly well. Why are we talking like they didn't?

What ever the short comings in intelligence - and no doubt we'll hear plenty more in the woulda shoulda coulda vein, it's difficult to fault 8 minutes from first report to three dead terrorists.
    Difficult to fault in the terms of the operational effectiveness of what was available in London. However if the baton wielding PC had a sidearm the three terrorist would likely have been stopped even earlier.

I fear it's a debate we have to have. Where are the armed response teams in towns and rural areas?
    Arming of police is a different question, and is arguably not really related to money at all.
    We currently have strict tests for policemen who want to be armed. Many officers fail those tests. If we move to routinely arming police, we either have to accept that we will arm police who would have failed our current tests, or bar otherwise competent officers from being in the police.

So which is it? Reduced standards for firearms officers, or barring more people from the job?
    There is a third way. Teleportation.

May not be cheap, mind you.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

theresa may in 2015 telling the police federation to stop scaremongering about police cuts and the police warned the military would be needed in time of crisis.

If its more cost effective to use the military in times of crisis, why is that a bad thing?
    because we've had 3 terrorsit attacks under mays watch and there arent enough police offices and every single terrorist was known to the police.
    It occurs to me that we actually need to be putting a lot more resources into the Prevent effort.
    Clearly it's impossible for the security services to closely monitor 23,000 individuals. It is far from impossible for Prevent to engage with that number. Some interventions will be successful; some won't - but in any event, we would better understand who out of that number is likely to be a real threat.
    I think we also need to get the communities involved. It's not enough for someone to phone a hot line and then say 'Well I informed the authorities' and forget about it. If there's radicalisation going on and known about then address the issue directly.

In muslim communities, great weight is put on the influence of the elders. How about them going round to these people, along with religious leaders saying 'You'll burn in hel/be buggered by Djinn for eternity if you do this'

It may have more effect than getting a call from plod.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

RobD said:

How much budget do the Police Federation have for election campaigning I wonder?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

What a dismal choice we face, I decided when the election was called I wouldn't be voting, nothing has changed my mind. No party has given me a single positive reason to support them.

I was prepared to give May a chance because she wasn't Cameron but she's every bit as vacuous. I have absolutely no idea what she believes in.

She believes enough is enough in a strong and stable kind of way.

And Brexit is Brexit, of course.

If only more thought the same way. Sigh.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    A barrier has been installed on the east side of Waterloo Bridge to protect the pavement. There's no barrier on the west side presumably because it's less vulnerable due to a number of signs on the pavement for the Strand Underpass.
  • Options

the difference between me and you is simple; you care more about the tory party than you do your country.

The interest of the country must always come first on every single policy issue from tax, security, everything.

You could not make that up
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

I think we also need to get the communities involved. It's not enough for someone to phone a hot line and then say 'Well I informed the authorities' and forget about it. If there's radicalisation going on and known about then address the issue directly.

In muslim communities, great weight is put on the influence of the elders. How about them going round to these people, along with religious leaders saying 'You'll burn in hel/be buggered by Djinn for eternity if you do this'

It may have more effect than getting a call from plod.
    Prevent is about that, too - though there has been way too much emphasis on "community leaders". And it is the young we need to engage, rather than the 'elders'.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

A barrier has been installed on the east side of Waterloo Bridge to protect the pavement. There's no barrier on the west side presumably because it's less vulnerable due to a number of signs on the pavement for the Strand Underpass.

I don't listen to music or read my phone anymore while walking around in the city. Always staying alert in case anything happens.
  • Options

Blah blah blah. And Jezzer puts Irish and Palestinian terrorists ahead of their victims including those in the UK ....yawn ,yawn, yawn...done to death.
  • Options

No you care more about the tory party than you do your country.

your country has been attacked 3 times in 3 months and you won't discuss the elephant in the room; theresa may has been home secretary for 6 years and let police happen despite the federation telling her not to do the cuts. she went ahead. on 20th may 2015, she told the police federation to stop scaremongering about the impact of police cuts.

if a labour prime minister or diane abbott was home secretary under these circumstances; your response to all of this would be TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND MINE WOULD BE THE SAME

Because i put my country above party and you dont.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Your country should always come first.

I agree.

But Labour chose Jeremy Corbyn as their leader.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    As is her wont, May went looking for positive headlines in the right wing press when she decided very publicly to "take on" the "police union". It was not just the cutting that caused anger, but also her refusal to listen to concerns and to acknowledge the problems such large-scale cuts might lead to. There are a lot of videos circulating on social media of policemen predicting problems while May sits stoney-faced before denying there are any issues. Against an opponent other than Corbyn - who is not in any way credible on security - these would almost certainly guarantee her defeat if aired on national TV.
  • Options

your country has been attacked 3 times in 3 months and you won't discuss the elephant in the room; theresa may has been home secretary for 6 years and let police happen despite the federation telling her not to do the cuts. she went ahead. on 20th may 2015, she told the police federation to stop scaremongering about the impact of police cuts.

if a labour prime minister or diane abbott was home secretary under these circumstances; your response to all of this would be TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND MINE WOULD BE THE SAME

How many police were there in 2005?
  • Options
    Probably unnecessary, but having backed Lib Dems at a little over evens to be under 10%, I put a smidgen (just enough to cover my other stake) on them at 3.9 for being 10.01-15% on Betfair.

I think I'm in alright position whatever happens with the Lib Dems, unless they dramatically exceed expectations.

Currently on Con 350-399 seats. Hoping they'll be in that range on the exit poll, then I can hedge at silly odds and just wait to see how the many tiny stakes on constituency bets turn out.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738

What a dismal choice we face, I decided when the election was called I wouldn't be voting, nothing has changed my mind. No party has given me a single positive reason to support them.

I was prepared to give May a chance because she wasn't Cameron but she's every bit as vacuous. I have absolutely no idea what she believes in.

She believes enough is enough in a strong and stable kind of way.

The irony is that Jeremy Corbyn has shown himself to be stronger and more stable than Theresa May during this campaign. Whether you want that kind of strength and stability is another matter.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    It is unfortunate that the political consensus in this country appears to be that racism or prejudice towards Muslim fundamentalists and their enablers is a worse crime than stabbing people in the neck.
    Politicians are very happy to talk tough but very very reluctant to actually do anything. It is annoying. Maybe we should start by ruthlessly and indiscriminately enforcing the laws we already have. And chnging the law on speech from the current state of proscribed speech back to completely free speech.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, if Ed Miliband were in charge of Labour, with a 2015-style manifesto, they might well be romping to victory.

That said, if the polls had been closer to start with, May wouldn't've called the election.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I remember a number of years ago, christian services changed from being conducted in latin to the language of the local population.

It could be but you run into a basic theological problem -- if the Koran is literally the word of God, and was dictated by God, then how can it safely (ie without distorting its meaning) be translated? This has also led extremists to attack historic linguistics as apostasy because if the Koran is the word of God who is timeless and omniscient, then it follows that the meaning of the Arabic language cannot have changed.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Pay astroturfers footballers' wages.

:lol:
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, I agree almost entirely (some things should not be legal to say, most obviously inciting crime). Enforcement of existing laws and not turning a blind eye when something's 'culturally sensitive' is vital.
  • Options

can we agree that the daily telegraph and guardian should pay tax.

and hmrc and the tory party arent doing anything about tax evasion. shut them all down.

the fewer newspapers we have the better. its all biased trash. nobody reports the news anymore.
    Oh dear. 166 posts. Are they all like this?
  • Options

midwinter said:

JackW said:

He might be PM?
    Interesting..not a Lib Dem but I'd like to see Lamb and Clegg keep their seats.
  • Options

and hmrc and the tory party arent doing anything about tax evasion.
    Tax evasion is simply illegal. And they are doing something about tax avoidance:

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/celebrities-lose-700m-film-partnership-case/
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

In the old days, the person who had been Home Secretary for 5 of the last 7 years and PM for the other 2 might have had the decency to attempt to defend her record over that period, rather than campaigning as an apparent outside insurgent under the "enough is enough" banner (i.e. "time for a change" to everything she has done up to now.)

The record that concerns me most of all is not the general cut in police numbers or armed response units in the front line. It's the inability of the back room staff to act where they are supplied with intelligence on those who clearly pose a security threat, with authorities unable to cope with the volume of what they have to deal with, in effect juggling priorities to put aside what are deemed to be low level risks only to find that the balls come crashing down.

• Options
    Patrick said:

It is unfortunate that the political consensus in this country appears to be that racism or prejudice towards Muslim fundamentalists and their enablers is a worse crime than stabbing people in the neck.
    Politicians are very happy to talk tough but very very reluctant to actually do anything. It is annoying. Maybe we should start by ruthlessly and indiscriminately enforcing the laws we already have. And chnging the law on speech from the current state of proscribed speech back to completely free speech.

We have never had free speech. There's a reason we are the libel capital of the world. You may be thinking of America.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    It does look likely that their will be the highest voteshare for the 2 main parties since 1970, thanks to the squeezed Liberal and UKIP votes
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738
    Patrick said:

You don't see the difference between being prejudiced against those that stab others in the neck and being prejudiced against those that are appalled by that kind of violence but happen to be Muslim?
  • Options

No point in engaging with you any further. As I used to do when I was a canvasser and encountered an aggressive call I politely said - 'thank you and goodbye'
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

I don't listen to music or read my phone anymore while walking around in the city. Always staying alert in case anything happens.
    Stopped reading my phone after I had a near miss with an extremely strong and stable post which wasn't soft on anything.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    This "tax cuts for the rich" thing that Traveljunkioe is on about

Would that be the cut on top rate of income tax from 50% to 45%?

The 50% that Brown jacked it up to weeks before he left office, having been content to leave it at 40% for his entire tenure in no 11 and then no10 - nearly 13 years?

The one that the IFS (IIRC) said actually raised almost no money?

That one?

Oh...

#ignore
  • Options

No point in engaging with you any further. As I used to do when I was a canvasser and encountered an aggressive call I politely said - 'thank you and goodbye'
    your card is marked. you care more about your party than your country.

you should be ashamed of yourself. 3 terrorist attacks and you just want to score points.
  • Options

you should be ashamed of yourself. 3 terrorist attacks and you just want to score points.

LOL. Pot kettle.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It's childish nonsense. What next, Dave Spart tweeting that nuclear missiles didn't stop the Manchester and London terrorists?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Nigelb said:

I think the issue is rather that it is talking to Iran.
    None of the states are exactly clean handed when it comes to islamic extremism.
    Qatar have never been shy of having a quixotic foreign policy. Most of the gulf states have business dealings with Israel but Qatar aren't shy about it and don't bother to hide it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Out of curiosity how much more tax are you willing to pay to provide more funding for police pay ?
  • Options
    JonWC said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Stopped reading my phone after I had a near miss with an extremely strong and stable post which wasn't soft on anything.
    titters.... :D
  • Options

and hmrc and the tory party arent doing anything about tax evasion.
    Tax evasion is simply illegal. And they are doing something about tax avoidance:

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/celebrities-lose-700m-film-partnership-case/
    everytime you post just remember you care more about your party than you do your country.

everything you write has an agenda party first country second.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Mr. Observer, if Ed Miliband were in charge of Labour, with a 2015-style manifesto, they might well be romping to victory.

That said, if the polls had been closer to start with, May wouldn't've called the election.

I don't think so, Corbyn has enthused his base more than Miliband did and added some LDs and Greens and a handful of UKIP voters but May is holding almost all Cameron's vote and adding almost half of UKIP voters and a handful of Labour Leave voters and SNP voters on top too. Indeed a recent yougov showed May beating Cooper and Umunna by slightly more than Corbyn, although Khan ran her a little closer than Corbyn
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,807
    FF43 said:

Patrick said:

You don't see the difference between being prejudiced against those that stab others in the neck and being prejudiced against those that are appalled by that kind of violence but happen to be Muslim?
    I'm sure he does. However there is a definite problem where fear of being accused of the latter can lead people to not be firm enough on the former, in rhetoric at the very least. As I like to put it, we're so afraid of overreacting, that we under react.
  • Options

Out of curiosity how much more tax are you willing to pay to provide more funding for police pay ?
    cut the foreign aid budget to pay for the police.

the police and the military get paid terribly.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2017

JackW said:

JackW said:

Good morning, everyone.

Not long to go now. Will we have the inept, or the dangerous in charge? What a choice.

Indeed.

When TSE takes charge of PB editing will we have the inept historical references or the dangerous AV thread teasers?

A shocking prospect ....
    One of the sad aspects of the reurn of two party politics is that AV becomes obselete.
    Radical AV preachers like TSE will always find a way to spread their perversion of the true faith ....
    Enough is enough. There is far too much tolerance of radical AV preaching on this forum. Vanillaforums must do more.
    He has been reported several times by the "pbCommunity" but the moderators say they have no records of any complaints....

• Options

As is her wont, May went looking for positive headlines in the right wing press when she decided very publicly to "take on" the "police union". It was not just the cutting that caused anger, but also her refusal to listen to concerns and to acknowledge the problems such large-scale cuts might lead to. There are a lot of videos circulating on social media of policemen predicting problems while May sits stoney-faced before denying there are any issues. Against an opponent other than Corbyn - who is not in any way credible on security - these would almost certainly guarantee her defeat if aired on national TV.

Why? What current Tory voter would switch to Labour on this who has bot already done so? In any case Osborne made the decision and by 2015 had protected police funding and increased counter terrorism funding
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, May's underwhelming. Corbyn does enthuse the naive and the far left, but he also fires up those who really don't like May but prefer someone seriously underwhelming to someone actively dangerous.

Anyway, we'll see what the result is.

Mr. WC, was it a maypole?
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, better watch out. The U-boat captain haz put your name on ze list!
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

JackW said:

He might be PM?
    Interesting..not a Lib Dem but I'd like to see Lamb and Clegg keep their seats.
    I'm far from a Nat, but I'd like to see Robertson keep his seat - there any number of SNP MPs whose absence would improve the house, unfortunately more likely to hang on....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    JackW said:

From the armed response team nothing more. The operational question ongoing is should the "baton police" now have discreet sidearms?
    Not having a population that has chosen to be disarmed sheep would probably help. Run amok with a knife in Dallas and see how far you get.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IanDunt: Pathetically over-excitable. If a PM had to resign every time there was a terror attack, there'd be more terror att… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/871631529134391296
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,608
    Jonathan said:

But we're not. Jez doesn't support shoot to kill and McDonnell wants to close MI5.
  • Options

Rubbish, voting for a man who refused to back shoot to kill, is friends with terrorists, opposes bombing ISIS and backs open borders is putting party over country
  • Options

Soooo that would be nothing then?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Scott_P said:
    The Iraq war of course.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

JackW said:

Not having a population that has chosen to be disarmed sheep would probably help. Run amok with a knife in Dallas and see how far you get.
    But people who run amok in Dallas do so with a gun, not a knife....
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    FF43 said:

Patrick said:

We hear a great deal about the awfulness of islamophobia. It may be time we started to address kaffir-phobia within Islam.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, not sure America's the best example of a country where killing sprees are not a problem.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Scott_P said:

@IanDunt: Pathetically over-excitable. If a PM had to resign every time there was a terror attack, there'd be more terror att… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/871631529134391296

Is Steve Hilton really calling for May to resign?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Blue_rog said:

I can find some articles back to the couple of years after the London Tube bombings in 2005 about possibly introducing a law to force services in Mosques to be in English. This would imply that at least some services are conducted in Arabic.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, May's underwhelming. Corbyn does enthuse the naive and the far left, but he also fires up those who really don't like May but prefer someone seriously underwhelming to someone actively dangerous.

Anyway, we'll see what the result is.

Mr. WC, was it a maypole?

I think there are only a few in the latter category and they are voting LD rather than Labour or Tory, the Tories are making small net gains from Labour on 2015 but the Tories are losing a few Remainer Tories to the LDs albeit gaining a few Leave LDs in response
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Is Steve Hilton really calling for May to resign?

It would appear so, yes.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

So you're not prepared to pay more tax to fund security. And likewise you wouldn't be prepared to pay more tax to fund health or education or anything else which happened to be the story of the day, although you would doubtless whine tediously about them as well.

Clearly you're another 'take it from them and give it to me' type.
This discussion has been closed.