Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Theresa May will be hoping for another polling industry fa

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited June 2017
    IanB2 said:

The Tories are a further 2 seats lower on the spreads this morning at 360 - 366 seats. Day after day, they keep on sliding lower and lower. Nothing and nobody seems able to halt their decline which is all most depressing for members of the Blue Team.

Midpoint 363. Majority 76 (78 if Bercow doesn't count). Depressing?
    I would expect the betting to lag the polls, partly because punters take time to reflect on the polls and news, and partly because of the weight of money already on the table?
    Punters take time to reflect on the polls.... Hahahahahahahaha!! Have you not been on here the past week?!? There was not a nano-second of reflection before the Pampers needed changing!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2017
    Is everyone out delivering leaflets and canvassing?

If not, why not?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    marke09 said:

They used to call the Tory party the nasty party - some Labour supporters should look at themselves first

No used to in it , they are the NASTY LYING TOERAG party.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Dimbleby asked the telling question;

'You say you have called the election because of Brexit.

Last week you said 'Leaving the EU would make us MORE prosperous'

Last year you said' Leaving the EU would make us LESS prosperous'

"What's changed?"

The British people made the decision to leave and, like a good public servant, she will do what her employers instruct

Yep - her call is to decide what kind of Brexit it will be. She has promised to make voters more prosperous and will be judged on that.

Nope May said there were some advantages in staying in the EU but she would see Brexit through as the British people wanted with no free movement, no 100 billion euros to the EU and departure from the single market and if she wins a majority she will have a mandate for that from the British people

Read May's intro to the Tory manifesto.

The Tory manifesto says nothing about a big boost to economic ill have endorsed that Brexit

She is promising a Brexit that brings more prosperity.

"A plan for a stronger, fairer, more prosperous Britain"

That is what she will be judged on. If you do not agree, fair enough. We'll see what happens.

A plan for a more prosperous Britain than Labour that says nothing about Brexit being the cause of that and it also includes the words 'stronger' ie with reclaimed sovereignty and fairer ie with fairer and more controlled immigration rules

When you promise more prosperity that's what you're promising. When you are promising Brexit that is what you are promising. When you are promising more prosperity and Brexit then that is what you are promising. There really is no getting round that, I'm afraid. But if you wish to believe there is, that's fine by me!

The Brexit vote was for reclaimed sovereignty and controlled immigration, the Remain vote to keep as close economic ties to the EU as now with a tiny Federalist vote, the UK voted Leave and so sovereignty and controlled immigration come first and if May wins on that platform that is how Brexit will be for the next 5 years. The government's other economic policies to make Britain more prosperous than Labour are not linked to Brexit beyond a corporation tax cut
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Okay, finally did it. Bought Con seats, £2 at 367 on Spreadex. First foray into the spreads.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Most amusing result of the night would be if the Tories beat Labour in leeds NW. Now that WOULD be proof that the younglings cba to get to the polling booth.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

If not, why not?

About to start phoning again now, canvassing tomorrow
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

The Tories are a further 2 seats lower on the spreads this morning at 360 - 366 seats. Day after day, they keep on sliding lower and lower. Nothing and nobody seems able to halt their decline which is all most depressing for members of the Blue Team.

The voters will halt the decline when they turn out on 8th.

Newstatesman this weekend has long article by editor on Labour campaign. Time after time he has quotes from MPs and activists saying how badly they are going to do in reality. West Bromwich, Don Valley and so on are all in play. On a "Cliff edge" is one description from a canvasser.
    is there a link for this at all, please? or is it paper only
    Paper only at moment. I think they put stuff online a day or two after the magazine comes out to try and encourage buying it first.
    cheers - will keep an eye out
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    isam said:
    Oh please god let that be a Labour PPB next week.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    IanB2 said:

I would expect the betting to lag the polls, partly because punters take time to reflect on the polls and news, and partly because of the weight of money already on the table?
    That spread looks about right for the known data. It opened way too high so no surprise it's been slowly drifting down.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

IanB2 said:

Punters take time to reflect on the polls.... Hahahahahahahaha!! Have you not been on here the past week?!? There was not a nano-second of reflection before the Pampers needed changing!
    Fair point! Of course not all punters are as tuned in as we are and there are lots who will talk early but be much more cautious in risking their money (cf Sandpit just downthread!)
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    Chris said:

Fallon really is a loose canon, isn't he?

They will be under pressure now to clarify which is right - "absolutely" no rise, or just "no plans" for a rise. If they say Fallon was wrong it will look terrible. Another tricky decision for May.

Why do they put a bullying yob like Boris Johnson and a twit like Michael Fallon at front of stage?
    malcolmg said:

marke09 said:

They used to call the Tory party the nasty party - some Labour supporters should look at themselves first

They are indeed exactly that. Credit is due to Nicola Sturgeon for saying she will support Labour if she holds the balance. Either support for a Labour minority government or a full-scale Labour-SNP coalition would be far preferable to what we've got at the moment.

(BTW, will Sturgeon drop her call for a second referendum if Jeremy Corbyn promises that Britain will stay in the single market and customs union?)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

There will be a lag between an actual fall in the voters' intentions and showing up on the markets. The questions are whether the decline will continue into next week or possibly the decline has already halted but isn't showing up yet.
    If the lag is about a week, it should level off soon.
  • Options

If not, why not?

Because we are not sad bellends with no life.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

FWIW May has not ruled out income taxrises:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/870944674231353344

She is raisiing the personal allowence, so actually she is cutting income taxes for most. She is also raising the rate at which people will pay 40% not to £50,000.

This is what May should say, we are actually cutting taxes!
  • Options

If not, why not?

I've lost my other half to a House of Cards marathon.....
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Henry said:

Lynton Crosby seems to have forgotten:

1) If in a hole stop digging.
    2) A message of 'flip-flopping' can be highly damaging - as seen during the John Kerry's presidential campaign.

We already had: TM the 'Remainer' organising 'Brexit'; TM the PM saying 'no election' then calling an election; and, deviation from the brand new manifesto with the social care U-turn and on social housing.

But today: 'No increase on income tax" .... Labour supporter will be searching for their flip-flops to start waving about!

Hold, have I missed something? Fallon said "high earners" will not face tax rises. Nothing about, for example, Class 4 NICS for self-employed.
    I'd be far more concerned about dividends. As a self employed person your best bet is to set up your own company and pay yourself in dividends - taxed at 7.5%. I don't have the figures to hand but for someone on 40k you can easily halve your tax liability.
    It irritates me when people claim either that by having a company you only get taxed at corporation tax rates, or like this, that you only pay 7.5% on dividends. First the profit gets corporation tax taken away - so thats 20% gone. Then you pay tax on dividends. Effective tax rate is now higher than income tax if the same amount was taken as salary (20% + 80% * 38.1% = 50.48%). Rant over:-)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

If not, why not?

This is Fake News.
  • Options

Mr. Quidder, it'd get me a 7 winner :)

My best results from the outset have been 76-98 majority and LDs sub 20. I don't see any reason to change my position as long as the Tory share hovers around 44%.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    malcolmg said:

If not, why not?

Speak for yourself
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Chris said:

Fallon really is a loose canon, isn't he?

They will be under pressure now to clarify which is right - "absolutely" no rise, or just "no plans" for a rise. If they say Fallon was wrong it will look terrible. Another tricky decision for May.

Why do they put a bullying yob like Boris Johnson and a twit like Michael Fallon at front of stage?
    malcolmg said:

marke09 said:

They are indeed exactly that. Credit is due to Nicola Sturgeon for saying she will support Labour if she holds the balance. Either support for a Labour minority government or a full-scale Labour-SNP coalition would be far preferable to what we've got at the moment.

(BTW, will Sturgeon drop her call for a second referendum if Jeremy Corbyn promises that Britain will stay in the single market and customs union?)
    Hmm, put her in a bad spot , I think any back peddling on referendum would be dangerous. However no elections for a spell so give time to perhaps get over it but doubt it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

If not, why not?

Because I'm not a member of ANY political party?
  • Options

If not, why not?

Is new series out then
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Sandpit, I was considering that as an over bet on Ladbrokes. Decided to opt for 375-399 at 4.5 instead (to complement 350-374).

Mr. Quidder, if the Lib Dems are under 20 seats, under 10% of the vote, and retain/win Richmond Park, that'd be splendid.

Some very good tips from Mr. Pulpstar and Mr. Putney on the yellows.
  • Options

If not, why not?

You don't have to be a member to deliver leaflets.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, I was considering that as an over bet on Ladbrokes. Decided to opt for 375-399 at 4.5 instead (to complement 350-374).

Mr. Quidder, if the Lib Dems are under 20 seats, under 10% of the vote, and retain/win Richmond Park, that'd be splendid.

Some very good tips from Mr. Pulpstar and Mr. Putney on the yellows.

I'm just hoping my winners pay for my losers.
  • Options
    nunu said:

FWIW May has not ruled out income taxrises:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/870944674231353344

She is raisiing the personal allowence, so actually she is cutting income taxes for most. She is also raising the rate at which people will pay 40% not to £50,000.

This is what May should say, we are actually cutting taxes!
    Not in Scotland SNP are stiffing us, most annoying given the shedload paid already.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Hmm, Eurocopter AS365 - they're about £10,000 an hour. Just saying.
  • Options

If not, why not?

Can you do some for Wes and for Lee, have a few overs on turnout.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

If not, why not?

Just PB lurkers and posters.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

She could have said in a straight-forward manner that taxes will not be increased. She skirted that.

TAX BOMBSHELL

Obviously, because they want to put up NI.
    She did not give any assurance about Income Tax payers other than general platitudes about what a good party the Tories are about taxes.

The Tories have form on this matter. Thatcher's denial about VAT followed by increase from 8% to 15% in just a few weeks. Major also increased NIC from 9% to 11% after denying it.
    Fallon has just said no income tax rises "across the spectrum" so one assumes that won't now happen. Personally I'd be really surprised if they put up income tax, NI not so much because they tried before the election and failed.
    FAKE NEWS.

This is The Telegraph headline.

No income tax rises for high earners under Tory government, minister reveals

Read for yourself. No such words like "across the spectrum". Stop making it up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/02/no-income-tax-rises-high-earners-tory-government-minister-reveals/

No such assurance has been given about basic rate taxpayers.
    Eh? This is from the article:

"Asked if high earners could confidently vote Conservative next week, safe in the knowledge that their income tax would not go up, Sir Michael said: “Yes. You’ve seen our record..."
    Yes - it's a classic case of answering a specific question and mischievous newspapers trying to expand it to raise an issue about something that wasn't asked.
    Reporter: "Do you rule out hanging terrorists?"
    Politician: "Yes, we will not execute terrorists"

Story: "Politican does not rule out executing toddlers"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Balrog said:

Henry said:

Lynton Crosby seems to have forgotten:

1) If in a hole stop digging.
    2) A message of 'flip-flopping' can be highly damaging - as seen during the John Kerry's presidential campaign.

We already had: TM the 'Remainer' organising 'Brexit'; TM the PM saying 'no election' then calling an election; and, deviation from the brand new manifesto with the social care U-turn and on social housing.

But today: 'No increase on income tax" .... Labour supporter will be searching for their flip-flops to start waving about!

Hold, have I missed something? Fallon said "high earners" will not face tax rises. Nothing about, for example, Class 4 NICS for self-employed.
    I'd be far more concerned about dividends. As a self employed person your best bet is to set up your own company and pay yourself in dividends - taxed at 7.5%. I don't have the figures to hand but for someone on 40k you can easily halve your tax liability.
    It irritates me when people claim either that by having a company you only get taxed at corporation tax rates, or like this, that you only pay 7.5% on dividends. First the profit gets corporation tax taken away - so thats 20% gone. Then you pay tax on dividends. Effective tax rate is now higher than income tax if the same amount was taken as salary (20% + 80% * 38.1% = 50.48%). Rant over:-)
    The first £5000 of dividends this year are tax free, and by splitting shares with a spouse, it is possible to split the dividend income. It works best for higher tax payers of course. That is how my modest private paractice works.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

will Sturgeon drop her call for a second referendum if Jeremy Corbyn promises that Britain will stay in the single market and customs union?

No.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Dimbleby asked the telling question;

'You say you have called the election because of Brexit.

Last week you said 'Leaving the EU would make us MORE prosperous'

Last year you said' Leaving the EU would make us LESS prosperous'

"What's changed?"

The British people made the decision to leave and, like a good public servant, she will do what her employers instruct

Yep - her call is to decide what kind of Brexit it will be. She has promised to make voters more prosperous and will be judged on that.

Nope May said there were some advantages in staying in the EU but she would see Brexit through as the British people wanted with no free movement, no 100 billion euros to the EU and departure from the single market and if she wins a majority she will have a mandate for that from the British people

Read May's intro to the Tory manifesto.

The Tory manifesto says nothing about a big boost to economic ill have endorsed that Brexit

She is promising a Brexit that brings more prosperity.

"A plan for a stronger, fairer, more prosperous Britain"

That is what she will be judged on. If you do not agree, fair enough. We'll see what happens.

A plan for a more prosperous Britain than Labour that says nothing about Brexit being the cause of that and it also includes the words 'stronger' ie with reclaimed sovereignty and fairer ie with fairer and more controlled immigration rules

When you promise more prosperity that's what you're promising. When you are promising Brexit that is what you are promising. When you are promising more prosperity and Brexit then that is what you are promising. There really is no getting round that, I'm afraid. But if you wish to believe there is, that's fine by me!

The Brexit vote was for reclaimed sovereignty and controlled immigration, the Remain vote to keep as close economic ties to the EU as now with a tiny Federalist vote, the UK voted Leave and so sovereignty and controlled immigration come first and if May wins on that platform that is how Brexit will be for the next 5 years. The government's other economic policies to make Britain more prosperous than Labour are not linked to Brexit beyond a corporation tax cut

The UK's Brexit path will determine the performance of the economy. Greater prosperity, or not, is tied to it totally.

• Options
    For all the rubbishing of local elections, they are at least real votes. Is it really possible for there to be such a swing towards Labour in a month?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39795422

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Wondering if anyone really thinks that 'pushing the button ' is actually going to come into play in the next five years and should be the deciding factor in this election.

As noted on QT last night, Trident is a multi-Parliament commitment.

The question is less whether Corbyn would push the button in the next 5 years (we know he wouldn't) but whether he will decommission it in the next 5 years so the next PM couldn't

The Trident and nukes equivocations from Corbyn crystallise the concerns voters have about him and security policy generally that his past create. Put simply, people worry he will not protect them and their families to the extent May will. And that is what will ensure Labour loses. In Brexit Britainyou may be able to win from the left, but you cannot equivocate or be regarded as weak on security and defence issues.

Nukes nuke Corbyn? I remain sceptical, and a quick trip to the shops to look at the late editions of the papers finds only the Mail has splashed it. But to be on the safe side, Labour needs to come out swinging on the Tories' police and army cuts in order to shore up the "safe and secure" vote.
  • Options
    Lol Oban ?!

That's in Argyll and Bute. Is the SNP intelligence suggesting either 20 Tory seats or 8 Lib Dem ones ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:
    It was okay until the end - they should have left out the "do you hate me / obviously" quip.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Pulpstar, surely "I'm hoping all my bets win"? :p

I'm hoping the election is both good for the country, and wipes away the lingering annoyance of that stupid late safety car in Monaco. I've rarely been so annoyed by a bet failing to come off.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2017

Typo said:

May looks to be in Huddersfield. Make of that what you will.

Probably chasing after neighbouring, highly marginal Dewsbury.
    The Tories have absolutely no chance of displacing long-serving Barry Sheerman in rock solid Labour safe Huddersfield itself.

BTW Earlier in the campaign, I backed Labour to hold Dewsbury, from where I am typing this, at odds of 4/1 which have now narrowed to 2/1. It smacks of being a lost cause for the Tories, where for such a winnable seat they selected a 22 year old inexperienced supermarket assistant ..... I mean no disrespect, but this is a seat they should have gobbled up with ease
    Labour majority 1,451, Kippers in play 6,649

So clearly winnable and on paper an odd choice of candidate! But "supermarket assistant" is underplaying her a wee bit, no? Ex caseworker for Matthew Hancock and a candidate in a no-hope seat in 2015,, church minister, currently working for a debt-counselling charity, doesn't seem to have worked at a supermarket for 3 years...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    isam said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Thanet South is now a more likely UKIP gain than Thurrock
    Without the one man team's one man standing there?
    A bit strange that UKIP didn't stand a better known candidate in Thanet South isn't it? They must have known there was a fair chance of scandal
    The Tory MP now under investigation is a former deputy leader of UKIP and UKIP had already said they would not put up candidates in seats where the sitting MP was clearly a Brexiteer.
    Then why pick a candidate at all?
    No idea.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

marke09 said:

At least we know where the Caps Lock is.....
  • Options

If not, why not?

+1. I'm off to spend the day in the pub playing darts and the evening in a restaurant eating, drinking and being merry, for tomorrow we may have polls.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Most amusing result of the night would be if the Tories beat Labour in leeds NW. Now that WOULD be proof that the younglings cba to get to the polling booth.

That seat has seen second biggest rise in voter registrations.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Hence why it would be hilarious

I'm guessing the biggest is........... Sheffield Central ?

Also the youngest seat in the country (I think)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Okay, finally did it. Bought Con seats, £2 at 367 on Spreadex. First foray into the spreads.

Good luck, but my advice would be to set yourself a stop loss and stick to it. Also if you allow your bet through to polling day, be very alert as regards the exit polls should these show an adverse result for you and remember the spread-betting firms will be open for most of the night.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    A bit strange that UKIP didn't stand a better known candidate in Thanet South isn't it? They must have known there was a fair chance of scandal
    The Tory MP now under investigation is a former deputy leader of UKIP and UKIP had already said they would not put up candidates in seats where the sitting MP was clearly a Brexiteer.
    In which case why are they putting up a candidate and fighting it hard:
    "More than 500 activists braved the wind and rain to campaign all day in the constituency"
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, surely "I'm hoping all my bets win"? :p

I'm hoping the election is both good for the country, and wipes away the lingering annoyance of that stupid late safety car in Monaco. I've rarely been so annoyed by a bet failing to come off.

It is impossible for all my bets to win, Derby North can only have 1 winner.
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    "More than 500 activists braved the wind and rain to campaign all day in the constituency"
    Well I guess people might find it a bit harder to vote Mckinley now. I still reckon he'll win though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think Theresa May is trying to lose an unlosable election.

I think everyone in the country knows the Tories aren't going to raise income tax, any budget which tried to do so would not make it through Parliamentary scrutiny. So just come out and say it, no income tax rises for the next five years.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Good luck, but my advice would be to set yourself a stop loss and stick to it. Also if you allow your bet through to polling day, be very alert as regards the exit polls should these show an adverse result for you and remember the spread-betting firms will be open for most of the night.
    Realistically this won't lose more than a couple of hundred in a VERY extreme scenario though. However buying Lab supremacy at ~£10 - 100 a point as a certain someone did back in 2015...
  • Options

Typo said:

The Tories have absolutely no chance of displacing long-serving Barry Sheerman in rock solid Labour safe Huddersfield itself.

BTW Earlier in the campaign, I backed Labour to hold Dewsbury, from where I am typing this, at odds of 4/1 which have now narrowed to 2/1. It smacks of being a lost cause for the Tories, where for such a winnable seat they selected a 22 year old inexperienced supermarket assistant ..... I mean no disrespect, but this is a seat they should have gobbled up with ease

So clearly winnable and on paper an odd choice of candidate! But "supermarket assistant" is underplaying her a wee bit, no? Ex caseworker for Matthew Hancock and a candidate in a no-hope seat in 2015,, church minister, currently working for a debt-counselling charity, doesn't seem to have worked at a supermarket for 3 years...
    I think also that in Dewsbury there is a significant Muslim Labour vote, that may well be depressed by Ramadan, when people have a prolonged fast, and give up worldly things.

Ramadan may influence a number of seats, but most would be safe Labour and of course there is postal voting. Dewsbury is one of the few marginals.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    calum said:

Simple SNP messaging for the last week

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/870546938793537536

Child poverty ? Seriously ? A statistical approximation to zero in the UK.
  • Options
    isam said:

For all the rubbishing of local elections, they are at least real votes. Is it really possible for there to be such a swing towards Labour in a month?

Probably not THAT much but remember London, Liverpool Manchester etc etc didn't have council elections.

Cardiff, Newport, and Swansea did and labour did better then predicted.

Think we will see is an assymetirical labour rise. A surge in the big cities flatlining everywhere else.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MaxPB said:

I think everyone in the country knows the Tories aren't going to raise income tax, any budget which tried to do so would not make it through Parliamentary scrutiny. So just come out and say it, no income tax rises for the next five years.

But NI appears to be fair game for rises. Fallon is relying on most voters not understanding the difference (despite that face that for basic rate tax payers, employers and employees' NI is higher than income tax)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Thanks. Will try and stay sober enough until the result's clear one way or the other, will decide what to do on the exit poll but at £2 a seat I'll probably just let it run - although TBH if it's going to be a hung Parliament then a hundred quid loss is going to be the least of my worries!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The problem with that is as soon as you've ruled out increasing one tax the question moves on to the next then the next then the next until you get to a "no comment" and you're landed with "Politician refuses to rule out VAT increase...."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:
    Well I guess people might find it a bit harder to vote Mckinley now. I still reckon he'll win though.
    I suspect so, but between scandal and the collapse of UKIP, I have had a little dabble on Labour, who came a respectable 3rd before and could sneak through the middle.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    MaxPB said:

Leading on Sky news , Michael Fallon the attack dog who is now making May defend.The Tories are like Arsenal this season under Wenger do not qualify for Europe but win a domestic cup.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    edited June 2017
    HYUFD said:

The Government have produced a Clear Plan for Brexit, which isn't actually a plan but rather a wishlist. Two of the wishes (End ECJ jurisdiction and control over EU immigration) can only be achieved through leaving the EU; the remainder are better served by remaining in the EU: strengthen the UK Union; keep the Irish Common Travel Area; worker protection, secure cross-border rights for UK and EU citizens; free trade with European markets; trade agreements with third-party countries; European co-operation for science and innovation; European co-operation on security.

It doesn't say how those somewhat incompatible objectives will be resolved. A reasonable interpretation is that they will try to get as much as possible of the first two objectives wihile conceding no more than is necessary on the remaining eight. But it is all up for negotiations.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If not, why not?

The Nats have taken the day off to march instead...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But NI appears to be fair game for rises. Fallon is relying on most voters not understanding the difference (despite that face that for basic rate tax payers, employers and employees' NI is higher than income tax)
    Yes I think NI is definitely going up by a penny on each side.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

New resource from Election Data:

http://election-data.co.uk/how-many-young-or-old-voters-in-your-seat
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    MaxPB said:

I would guess that she doesn't want to give a hostage to fortune in the event of a tidying up exercise producing a rise for some group or other, a bit like the fuss over the NI rise in the last budget.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The problem with that is as soon as you've ruled out increasing one tax the question moves on to the next then the next then the next until you get to a "no comment" and you're landed with "Politician refuses to rule out VAT increase...."
    Not really since no VAT increase in in the manifesto. I think Fallon has been unhelpful, but I doubt he went to the Telegraph without Lynton's say so which leads me to believe that Theresa isn't singing from the correct hymn sheet.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

If not, why not?

Just PB lurkers and posters.
    No lurking from me an dno helping lying politicians get rich either.
  • Options

Typo said:

I think also that in Dewsbury there is a significant Muslim Labour vote, that may well be depressed by Ramadan, when people have a prolonged fast, and give up worldly things.

Ramadan may influence a number of seats, but most would be safe Labour and of course there is postal voting. Dewsbury is one of the few marginals.
    Hold on. This might impact the exit polls if (repeat if) muslim voters show up en masse at twilight, after the pollsters have sent the numbers off to be crunched in time for 10 o'clock.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    nunu said:

isam said:

Probably not THAT much but remember London, Liverpool Manchester etc etc didn't have council elections.

Also, if we compare like with like, at the time of the local elections the polls were ALL showing Tory leads in the 15-20 range, and they're ALL now in the 3-12 range. It's difficult to think that this isn't a genuine shift of opinion since the locals, of around a swing of 5 points. It might be interesting to see a projection of the results if every constituency voted as it did last month plus say 8 for Lab and minus 2 for Tories, and then make a separate assessment for the cities that didn't vote.
  • Options

If not, why not?

Might take a while to get there... if I left now I might make it by the election ;)
  • Options

Typo said:

Am I right that Iftar (the breaking of the fast) is at about 21:30 in the UK next week? If so that doesn't leave a lot of time to vote afterward so maybe those fasting will vote early in the morning instead. Hard to think that Ramadan might not have something of an effect on turnout though.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If not, why not?

The Nats have taken the day off to march instead...
    They at least have a purpose in life.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

If not, why not?

Same here I wonder what % are on here ?
  • Options
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

The Government have produced a Clear Plan for Brexit, which isn't actually a plan but rather a wishlist. Two of the wishes (End ECJ jurisdiction and control over EU immigration) can only be achieved through leaving the EU; the remainder are better served by remaining in the EU: strengthen the UK Union; keep the Irish Common Travel Area; worker protection, secure cross-border rights for UK and EU citizens; free trade with European markets; trade agreements with third-party countries; European co-operation for science and innovation; European co-operation on security.

It doesn't say how those somewhat incompatible objectives will be resolved. A reasonable interpretation is that they will try to get as much as possible of the first two objectives wihile conceding no more than is necessary on the remaining eight. But it is all up for negotiations.

We cannot have trade agreements with third party countries if we stay in the EU. Nor do we lose co-operation in science and innovation by leaving the EU.
  • Options

calum said:

Moron
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

follow this guy:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/870919255897907200
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

Next question: are you going to raise NICs?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    So when are we expecting these polls?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

marke09 said:

At least we know where the Caps Lock is.....
    I do not like to hide my talents
  • Options

If not, why not?

You don't have to be a member to deliver leaflets.
    Just deranged and have no life.
  • Options

So when are we expecting these polls?

June 8th, 10 pm.

Might underestimate the Tories a touch.
  • Options
    Six polls tonight? Including an ICM.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

They started at 390, right ?
    Higher than that ..... I sold them on the spreads at 402, so their mid point must have reached at least 405. So a fall of over 40 seats so far and how much further to go?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    They're over sampling the politically engaged!!!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Typo said:

Am I right that Iftar (the breaking of the fast) is at about 21:30 in the UK next week? If so that doesn't leave a lot of time to vote afterward so maybe those fasting will vote early in the morning instead. Hard to think that Ramadan might not have something of an effect on turnout though.
    Are they locked in the house then, thought it was not eating.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited June 2017
    Disappointing rating for BBC1 QT Leaders Special - 3.8m - only 0.3m higher than the BBC Debate on Wed.

Though it did peak at 4.2m in the final 15 mins when Corbyn asked about Trident.

18:00: BBC News at Six - 4.18m (31.3%)
    18:30: BBC Regional News - 4.33m (29.6%)
    19:00: The One Show - 2.73m (16.6%)
    20:00: EastEnders - 4.32m (21.4%)
    20:30: Question Time: Leaders Special - 3.80m (18.2%)
    * 15 minute peak - 4.20m (20.0%) from 21:45
    22:00: BBC News at Ten - 3.99m (22.4%)

18:30: ITV Evening News - 2.84m (19.4%)
    19:00: Emmerdale - 5.36m (34.0%)
    19:30: Britain's Got Talent - 7.04m (36.7%)
    * peak - 8.25m (38.7%) at 20:50
    21:00: Coronation Street - 7.66m (35.0%)
    21:30: Britain's Got Talent Results - 5.78m (27.6%)
    * peak - 6.75m (31.8%) at 21:55
    22:00: ITV News at Ten - 2.29m (13.3%)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

calum said:

Moron
    I think I am slightly more qualified to talk on this subject than you are, but flame away if it makes you happy.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

If not, why not?

Same here I wonder what % are on here ?
    Good few saddo's for certain.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100

Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

Wondering if anyone really thinks that 'pushing the button ' is actually going to come into play in the next five years and should be the deciding factor in this election.

As noted on QT last night, Trident is a multi-Parliament commitment.

The question is less whether Corbyn would push the button in the next 5 years (we know he wouldn't) but whether he will decommission it in the next 5 years so the next PM couldn't

The Trident and nukes equivocations from Corbyn crystallise the concerns voters have about him and security policy generally that his past create. Put simply, people worry he will not protect them and their families to the extent May will. And that is what will ensure Labour loses. In Brexit Britainyou may be able to win from the left, but you cannot equivocate or be regarded as weak on security and defence issues.

Corbyn finally lost GE 2017 at around 9pm last night.
    I thought he lost during Woman's Hour. :-)

I have difficulty in believing the election will be decided on this issue. Maybe elections could have been in the 1980s, but it's a very different world now. The security issue people are most concerned about is suicide bombers, and you can't deter them with a strategic nuclear missile.

Having said that, the polls have always been pointing towards a Tory majority. There can be a hung parliament if the polls, or the projections based on the polls, are wrong. It could be the case. But the weight of probability still has to favour a Tory win, as it has all along.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017
    Anecdote alert:

My parents live in Michael Fallon's constituency. My father was worried/angered by the dementia tax stuff to the extent that he emailed Fallon's office to get him to clarify the issue. Got back the usual 'strong and stable' bollocks and is really not happy. He's not politically minded or been proactive in contacting an MP before, but the dementia tax had real cut-through. He will vote Tory as usual but it makes me question if this is going to surpress Tory turnout - fine in a safe Con seat like this one but elsewhere?

Also, has Fallon been rattled by the feedback - its volume and its tone - from this policy and the subsequent u-turn? It's such a safe Tory seat, never get anything from him during elections but this time there's been leaflets through the door on two separate occasions and some big ads in the Sevenoaks Chronicle. Perhaps it's to compensate for being away campaigning elsewhere as he's a Cabinet member, but there is definitely discontent in Tory England.

This contrasts with 2015, when I overheard on a number of occasions how awful Sturgeon was and how a Labout-SNP coaltition did not bear thinking about. The Tory vote then felt motivated for polling day.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Next question: are you going to raise NICs?
    Yes but isn't that the point? The Conservatives dropped the tax lock because they intend to raise taxes. It's just a few weeks since they tried to raise NICs. The rest is just discussing the best way to obfuscate this.

It becomes counter-productive as voters become cynical and look for the small print in even the true stuff -- for instance, the VAT pledge only covers the level and not the range of goods taxed.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

If not, why not?

Is new series out then
    Yes. She was very "Meh....." about the first three episodes.

The fourth episode is apparently the finest writing since Shakespeare.

I'm so glad I live in a hyperbole-free household......
  • Options

malcolmg said:

calum said:

Moron
    I think I am slightly more qualified to talk on this subject than you are, but flame away if it makes you happy.
    Explain then , how there are no poor people in UK. Hopefully your are not going to trot out that people in Africa are really poor, try to contain yourself to the UK.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    HuffPo:

"Jeremy Corbyn Could See Late Surge In Support From Ex-UKIP Voters"
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    nunu said:

hmmm let me try.

That'll just count as one vote - you have to ID yourself to login right?

• Options

HuffPo:

"Jeremy Corbyn Could See Late Surge In Support From Ex-UKIP Voters"

Not after yesterday.
  • Options
    Loads of statistics from this guy today:
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/870755844165693441
This discussion has been closed.