Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Theresa May will be hoping for another polling industry fa

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Thanks to Michael Fallon , Corbyn and Trident off the networks from early this morning. Apparently, he is their best media person.

So Tories will reduce tax for the richest.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Corbyn now in Broxtowe. Nick P's old stomping ground.

Supposedly a marginal.

Well Soubry might struggle to get the kippers onboard there... probably a hold though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    calum said:
    Wayhey, several pairs of XX chromosomes make an appearance.
    I fear that apart from their mums, some of the lads may not have much experience of talking to the opposite sex.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    NeilVW said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:
    Lol - Surprised Nicola has been off to Oban though, SNP canvass returns must be showing some real trouble.
    Argyll & Bute
    2015 result: SNP 44, LD 28, Con 15
    YouGov model: SNP 36, Con 27, LD 24
    Ashcroft model: SNP 39, Con 31-32, LD 18

Reasonable cushion for Brendan O'Hara on these models.

edit: corrected YouGov figures
    It depends on the degree of Unionist tactical voting, which starts with agreeing which party everyone is going to tactically vote for. If they do, and it would probably be the Lib Dems in this seat for historical reasons, I would say Argyll & Bute is winnable for the competition.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    calum said:
    That's a health and safety concern on that traffic island.
    A gust of wind from a large vehicle could have that barchart into the middle of the road.
    Horrible tories playing with the lives of people.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This twitter thread by Philip Cowley requires repeated mentioning. It's not just about young voters:

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/870580007743234048

The key tweet in the thread:

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/870581473455288321
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017
    surbiton said:

Thanks to Michael Fallon , Corbyn and Trident off the networks from early this morning. Apparently, he is their best media person.

Clearly CCHQ feared they were too close to winning.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

I hope everyone is backing Labour in Bristol West:

Election Data‏ @election_data 4h4 hours ago
    Replying to @jonadowning

just 35,423 more 18-29s than over 65s

I'm on at 7/4. V happy with that. Cashed out a couple of early con gain bets for losses. Got more Lab hold bets than Con gain bets now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2017

Supposedly a marginal.

12/1 for Lab. 2015 Green candidate supporting Lab, and the kipper unfriendly Soubry as the candidate for the Theresa May party.

Worth a punt methinks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    According to the latest Opinium polling, the Tories have a 43% share of the vote, while Labour have 37%.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Scottish Tory boss recognises Jeremy Corbyn as one of her key assets in this campaign. Many lifelong Labour voters are appalled that such a man is leading their party and cannot bring themselves to cast a vote that could see him become Prime Minister. Here the tightening national polls are useful to Miss Davidson. They act as a warning to those who oppose Corbyn — whether for his extreme views or because he is soft on independence — that he actually could walk into 10 Downing Street next Friday morning.

But no one, not even the terrorist-befriending, Trident-surrendering Mr Corbyn, can recruit first-time Tory voters like Nicola Sturgeon. The SNP leader’s refusal to set side independence and her decision to turn the Scottish Government into a 24/7 separatist campaign hub has infuriated voters who want her to concentrate on their schools and hospitals. Her botched attempt to exploit Brexit to force a second referendum was, for many, the final straw.

https://stephendaisley.com/2017/06/03/rebel-with-a-cause/
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 707
    calum said:

Barcharts getting bigger by the day !

The models agree East Ren is tight.

2015 result: SNP 41, Lab 34, Con 22
    YouGov model: Con 39, SNP 35, Lab 23
    Ashcroft model: SNP 36, Con 34, Lab 25

The central forecasts for SNP seats are 47 (YouGov), 45-47 (Ashcroft).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited June 2017
    But you are missing the point! Nevermind
  • Options
    For the Tories, these are far and away the worst seat projections we have seen through out the entire campaign.
  • Options

calum said:
    Wayhey, several pairs of XX chromosomes make an appearance.
    I fear that apart from their mums, some of the lads may not have much experience of talking to the opposite sex.
    They seem to be standing for the Ruth Davidson party. Perhaps they fancy her... and are likely to be disappointed.
  • Options
    @ScottyNational: News:Using John Swinney's old oil revenue calculator,it's estimated 12bn people attended the pro-Indy rally today,with more to be discovered
  • Options

This twitter thread by Philip Cowley requires repeated mentioning. It's not just about young voters:

DNVs in the EUref ?

Hmmmmmmm
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited June 2017
    Opinium is first out the blocks..
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    surbiton said:

That is not how it has been reported on BBC radio today. There they are saying the Tories have committed to no tax rises period.

I have not seen what Fallon said directly but from what has been said on here this doesn't seem to gel with the way it is being reported.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

NeilVW said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:
    Lol - Surprised Nicola has been off to Oban though, SNP canvass returns must be showing some real trouble.
    Argyll & Bute

It depends on the degree of Unionist tactical voting, which starts with agreeing which party everyone is going to tactically vote for. If they do, and it would probably be the Lib Dems in this seat for historical reasons, I would say Argyll & Bute is winnable for the competition.
    Yeah, if the SCons think that they're polling ahead of the LDs, they're definitely going to want to rollover.

Of course if the LDs want to make it known that they'll take a bullet for the Union..
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Scott_P said:

@ScottyNational: News:Using John Swinney's old oil revenue calculator,it's estimated 12bn people attended the pro-Indy rally today,with more to be discovered

Come on you can post the funny one's from that account that's ok
    But the shit one's really?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2017

According to the latest Opinium polling, the Tories have a 43% share of the vote, while Labour have 37%.

• Options
    isam said:

I see pollsters publishing Confidence Intervals (? 95%, or 2 SD) is an encouraging phenomenon.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017
    I'm assuming 'some' of these polls out today will have fieldwork that missed the period when QT was on last night?
  • Options

Supposedly a marginal.

12/1 for Lab. 2015 Green candidate supporting Lab, and the kipper unfriendly Soubry as the candidate for the Theresa May party.

Worth a punt methinks.
    And Kippers are standing.
  • Options

'Mummy, I've peed the bed again'
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

I'm assuming 'some' of these polls out today will have fieldwork that missed the period when QT was on last night?

Last weekend three of the polls finished *at some point* on the Friday, the rest earlier, so probably very little work done after the debate.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Con maj 42 per Baxter
  • Options

isam said:

I see pollsters publishing Confidence Intervals (? 95%, or 2 SD) is an encouraging phenomenon.
    Oh Good God. None of them have probability samples.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: I would expect that by eve of poll the pollsters will have herded around the 4%-6% Tory lead range.

Oh...
  • Options
    6% lead from polling people.

And now the reality from real voters:

https://twitter.com/DenisMacShane/status/871019632521605120
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

DNVs in the EUref ?

Hmmmmmmm
    I don't believe people who DNV is 15 or 16 will vote in 17. Don't believe it one bit.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Corbyn is in Hucknall, (Sherwood seat - Tory majority about 5K).

He shows spirit.
    Well, Corbyn probably sees himself as a modern day Robin Hood...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ishmael_Z said:

nunu said:

OUT said:

nunu said:

OUT said:

nunu said:

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahhahhahahhahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahhhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahhhhahahahhahahhhahahahhahahhahah.......

According to ICM 91% of yoof say they are registered but the electoral commision say it is only 66%!

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/871002688850468864

Umm read it again
    ??

75% is still much lower then 91% .
    And 91% is true? None of these numbers are accurate.
    Lots of people of all ages are missing off the registers.
    Ofcourse but young people are much more likely to guess they are registred when they are not. Something like 90+% of oldies are registered so the difference between how many oldies estimate they are registered but aren't is going to be a much, much smaller gap.

ICM past weight filter wont help for this group because many of the 18-24 wont even have a history of voting. ICM have to rely on what the young claim they will do.
    I am lost, what does "Just getting back to pre-IER levels gets the 18-24s to around 75% registered" mean? What is IER? And doesn't this thing of writing essays on twitter and chopping them up into 10 tweets kind of defeat the purpose?
    IER = individual registration I assume

Basically they have a lot of work to do on registration otherwise polls are overstating 18-24
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If UKIP tally 5% in the general election, I shall [INSERT HIGHLY INADVISABLE DECLARATION HERE].
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    YouGov publishes its core projection on its website, and the correct numbers are 308 and 261
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

'Mummy, I've peed the bed again'
    If Labour get anything like 37%, the Nats will be lucky to get 25 seats.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Ah, so many replies! I'll try to get to them!

Yorkcity said:

Liar liar the The T May song is number 4 in the charts number ,2 in the I tune down loads.Some going to say it is not been played on radio stations.

People still listen to music via the radio?

The song has been all over my social media feeds. No one under the age of 35 (surely?) is seriously getting their music mainly from radio, so it not being played on their doesn't matter. As long as it's avaliable on Apple Music or Spotify, that's all that matters.
    Fox jr just uses Spotify, and I often Spotify too, but I also like BBC 6 Music, Jack FM, and we often have Smooth FM on in our waiting area. The latter drives me mad because the playlist is the same dozen songs!

How about a playlist for the election?

I nominate:

Devil Woman (Cliff Richard)
    Union Man (the Strawbs)
    Elected (Alice Cooper)
    Its a Sin (Pet Shop Boys)
    Enola Gay (OMD)
    Cruella De Ville (Disney)

and for the UKIPpers : We've Gotta Get out of this Place (The Animals)
    I much prefer Apple Music, but IIRC Spotify is still more popular than Apple Music, but the latter is growing.

I haven't heard of Jack FM!
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Liar liar the The T May song is number 4 in the charts number ,2 in the I tune down loads.Some going to say it is not been played on radio stations.

The song has been all over my social media feeds. No one under the age of 35 (surely?) is seriously getting their music mainly from radio, so it not being played on their doesn't matter. As long as it's avaliable on Apple Music or Spotify, that's all that matters.
    Fox jr just uses Spotify, and I often Spotify too, but I also like BBC 6 Music, Jack FM, and we often have Smooth FM on in our waiting area. The latter drives me mad because the playlist is the same dozen songs!

I nominate:

Union Man (the Strawbs)
    Elected (Alice Cooper)
    Enola Gay (OMD)

I much prefer Apple Music, but IIRC Spotify is still more popular than Apple Music, but the latter is growing.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

If UKIP tally 5% in the general election, I shall [INSERT HIGHLY INADVISABLE DECLARATION HERE].

Win a lot of money I would hope!
  • Options

[INVOLVING PAUL NUTTALL]
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Scott_P said:
    Scotland is I believe the only nation that has a mythical being as its national animal.
  • Options
    Hold on hasn't @Rochdalepioneers been finding the entire town voting Labour in his returns ?
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    alex. said:

Are there any Labour supporters prepared to say that (even if they don't think it can possibly happen) that, possibly outside of a Tory landslide, the worst possible scenario for them is A Labour majority. Having to take responsibility for Brexit, with a negotiating position at odds with most of their Brexit supporters, and a totally unaffordable electoral platform which in large part they will feel compelled to deliver? Could be at 10% in the polls within a year?

Change the word Labour to Theresa May and you might be onto something

• Options
    6% lead? That actually shouldn't lead anyone to bed wet - it's still a majority. Looking at those Election Data figures, the Tory lead, in reality, is probably a few percentage points higher.

Tories lucky though that this election ends in matter of days.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I do wonder how many millions will get into the polling booth pencil in hand paper in front of them going in there with the intention of voting for a party but then changing their mind at the last minute. I could see a lot doing that this election, perhaps a lot of pensioners pissed off with May but can't vote for Corbyn and his soft stance on defence?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426

NEW THREAD

• Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

lose money?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

IanB2 said:

YouGov has updated its rolling panel poll this lunchtime. The vote shares are unchanged at 42/38, but the projected seat totals are now 308/261/10/47.

If those were the seat totals, we are in for total chaos.
    Is there a market for new Tory leader?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Oh Good God. None of them have probability samples.
    Yougov put the Tories on 308 seats, so they are estimating an assymetrical distribution.

Not good for the babyeaters though, and they do have some surprising Lab gains.

A bit of fun to bait the Tories with!
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

I nominate:

Union Man (the Strawbs)
    Elected (Alice Cooper)
    Enola Gay (OMD)

Jack FM is around the Solent. Mandatory on the Wight!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

viewcode said:

The area I was in was mostly WWC Council house and lower middle class 1930s. Plenty of UKIP and Labour to Blue switching. Very little evidence this is a Labour seat. A more posters for Gavin but very few in total.

Hitchin and Harpenden taking well to their new black MP to be. Rather a change from Peter Lilley I expect.

I think your cut and paste has gone a bit awry - for clarity, Concanvasser was in Luton South, not MarqueeMark!
    Thanks Mark! Hope Torbay is as sunny as Bedfordshire today.

Spectacular - the Torbay airshow today - Red Arrows, Lancaster. Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon.... How much more of Brexit can you get in the air?
    Assuming you meant this Typhoon, not this Typhoon, you couldn't have picked a more Remainian aircraft.
    I suspect looking at the rest of the list it was definitely the Hawker version.
    I wondered that as well, but if the Wiki article is correct there are no flying airframes extant and no display versions likely to be at the show. Given the Torbay airshow website specifies it's a Typhoon FGR4 http://torbayairshow.com/air-displays/ , it's the Eurofighter jet, not the Hawker prop job.

A pity: the WW2 Typhoon is one of the best aircraft Britain's ever produced, and a good example of the need for a dedicated ground-attack aircraft in close liaison with the infantry.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Failing in my duty in reading over 1000 posts perhaps PBers will take pity on poor JackW as his wallet has today all the numerical confidence of a Diane Abbott economic statement.

Any new polls today and what's the Tory Bedwetting Index?

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Just logged onto YouTube to see an "only the LibDems can win here" ad video. Quite impressive targeting (I live in Kingston & Surbiton)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    JackW said:

Failing in my duty in reading over 1000 posts perhaps PBers will take pity on poor JackW as his wallet has today all the numerical confidence of a Diane Abbott economic statement.

Any new polls today and what's the Tory Bedwetting Index?

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/870973892474671104
  • Options
    FF43 said:

NeilVW said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:
    Argyll & Bute

(In this seat) I came home from work the other day to find two dodgy bar charts, one from the Lib Dems based on the 2015 election and one from the Tories based on the recent locals, both designed to demonstrate that they were the stronger challenger. My vote will be motivated by Brexit rather than independence though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Comedy results has the SNP down to 3%. That's really low for them. 5% is more common. 3.0 would be equivalent to about 36%. 3.49 would be about 41%.

I would like that to be true but I am doubtful.
This discussion has been closed.