Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More worrying numbers for Team Theresa as doubts amongst punte

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

calum said:
    Hardly surprising. Big biz is terrified of Corbyn.
    where exactly are the tories pissing all that doh? Please don't tell me it's *all*going on fb and youtube ad's.....
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

House prices fell again in May, Nationwide says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40117132

Third successive month, not happened since 2009

In 6 months time we may be saying how clever of TMay to get a 30 seat majority now and postpone the recession-related shellacking she was due in 2020.

An interesting quote from that article:

However, Mr Gardener said: "The number of people in work has continued to rise at a healthy pace. Indeed, the unemployment rate fell to a 42-year low in the three months to March."

I think the tories should be banging on more about that
    Rich people will never understand zero hour contracts and the damage they do long term to young people. This is why people vote Tory they don't understand what its like to be homeless, have no job, be on a zero contract, unable to afford the rent and don't have the bank of mum and dad to support them for a deposit or a roof over their heads to save for a deposit.

When you listen to young people who vote tory they have one thing in common; they live with mum and dad or mum and dad are paying the vast majority of bills and providing the resources to get ahead of their competition
    Do you realise that ZHC are most heavily used in the charitable sector (over a third of contracts) and the public sector (around a quarter of contracts) not the private sector (under 8% of contracts). So its not those nasty capitalists at all :tongue:
    Charity?

Do you know how much directors are paid at charities? They get more than the PM. 6 figure salaries and the other people in the office are doing it out of the goodness in their heart or on a zero hour contract.

Look at the size of the houses these directors working for charities actually live in compared to people on zero hour contracts.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    glw said:

rkrkrk said:

glw said:

RobD said:

Surprisingly cautious? They don't even include the cost to the exchequer of re-nationalisation, let alone their overoptimistic predictions from how much revenue their tax hikes will bring in..

The water companies alone will cost £66 billion, and buying will make absolutely no difference to the service, for that to happen much more money will have to be spent.

So no Labour's manifesto is not fully costed, and anyone who says it is is a chump.
    Borrow 66 billion. Interest is say 1 billion per year.
    Change nothing except have govt owning all shares.
    Govt receives the 2 billion profit the water industry makes.

Voila - nationalisation has paid for itself.
    Except Labour is all about ending "profiteering" in the utilities, so no there won't be £2 billion in profit, probably the opposite.
    And there is the effect which all this additional borrowing will have on the interest the government will have to pay on its existing debt as it gets rolled over. That too is added to the burden.

As best I can tell Labour wants to have an economy similar to the one we had in the 1970's - nationalized industries, unions with unlimited powers, high taxes. I suppose if Brexit happens, exchange controls will be next.

BTW what is Labour's position on Brexit? If Corbyn does become PM what will Labour be looking to do?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

calum said:
    where exactly are the tories pissing all that doh? Please don't tell me it's *all*going on fb and youtube ad's.....
    That is the question I would like the answer to also.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    notme said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

PV samples it is been implied are very 'interesting'.

I thought it was proved on here that PV samples were a load of bollocks? No one sees enough of them to get a grasp, or something like that? Or you simply can't see them?

Perhaps in the fog of battle I have wilfully misremembered.
    No it is quite possible to get a very accurate assessment of the situation. It only takes a bit of experience It is a consistent and verifiable skill. You only need regular samples to pick up a trend. You can't determine a seat that will be lost by a thousand, but you can tell the ones that are going to be lost by 5,000.

This is complete nonsense.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

In 6 months time we may be saying how clever of TMay to get a 30 seat majority now and postpone the recession-related shellacking she was due in 2020.

However, Mr Gardener said: "The number of people in work has continued to rise at a healthy pace. Indeed, the unemployment rate fell to a 42-year low in the three months to March."

Rich people will never understand zero hour contracts and the damage they do long term to young people. This is why people vote Tory they don't understand what its like to be homeless, have no job, be on a zero contract, unable to afford the rent and don't have the bank of mum and dad to support them for a deposit or a roof over their heads to save for a deposit.

When you listen to young people who vote tory they have one thing in common; they live with mum and dad or mum and dad are paying the vast majority of bills and providing the resources to get ahead of their competition
    "Rich people will never understand zero hour contracts and the damage they do long term to young people. "

Sigh.

ZHCs have a clear defined role in an economy and are popular with a certain % of the population. Those, like myself barely ten years ago, who want experience and money while working their way to something else.

Banning them, making that a cornerstone of the campaign, is a very retrograde, narrow view of the topic.
    Have you worked on a zero hour contract?
    yes, as clearly stated in the post.

• Options

nunu said:

SeanT said:

calum said:
    Pretty much every begging email I get from the LibDems mentions the cost of online stuff like FB adds, so it must be eating up a good slice of the parties' spending.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rkrkrk said:

The point is - if you think Labour should have included a cost of 66 billion in their manifesto, - then you simply do not understand how government finances work.

*sigh*

If you think Labour should promise to nationalise things without explaining the costs and benefits of doing so — make the case, don't just follow party dogma — then you are probably a Corbyn supporter and beyond reason.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941

RobD said:

Now I understand why Remain didn't use Theresa May during EU Ref campaign.

Maybe they should have smuggled her into the Leave camp? Think what she could have done to their vote share :D
    A bit unfair, she gave a good speech on why Britain should stay in the EU that TOPPING linked below. She clearly didn't sign up to the project fear aspects (although she's doing that no with the no deal stuff)
    Fair enough, but her behaviour makes me wonder. If she was a Remainer, why would she want to be a PM who has to be a "Leave" PM? Either she was never a Remainer and was just following Cabinet policy or if she was a Remainer then the lure of power was too much to resist.
    It's possible that she genuinely thought that her Home Office EU negotiations could be used as a model for Brexit and didn't appreciate the gravity of the decisions that will need to be made. It's certainly my impression that one of the main factors in pushing her to go for an early election was the realisation that she was going 'alone and naked' into the negotiations.
    Then we are heading up S**t Creek and the paddles are going overboard.

That is, without doubt, the case. And May has blown her chances of a White Cliffs of Dover, We Shall Never Surrender Brexit by being so useless. The Tories are going to get rid of her sooner rather than later, I imagine. But who takes over who can keep them together?

• Options
    So absolutely no money raised for the SNP at all?

Again, just what is going on there?
  • Options

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

"Rich people will never understand zero hour contracts and the damage they do long term to young people. "

Sigh.

ZHCs have a clear defined role in an economy and are popular with a certain % of the population. Those, like myself barely ten years ago, who want experience and money while working their way to something else.

Banning them, making that a cornerstone of the campaign, is a very retrograde, narrow view of the topic.

So you support the right of employers changing your hourly rate after working those hours?
  • Options
    I'm actually more convinced from these interminable discussions that people who are massively, vocally antiZHCs have likely never been on one.

• Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

calum said:
    Paying their supporters who are registered with YouGov to say they will vote Labour? :-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,539

RobD said:

Since the first Yougov mega poll was released 3 days ago we have had a total of six polls. three of them have been Yougov all basically showing the same thing, one Survey Monkey showing a Tory lead of 6% and a poll each from Kantar and ICM showing leads of 10% and 12%.

The only mention of the polls that do not follow the narrative of 'Tories doing badly' was the rather passing reference "On the day ICM gave the Tories a 12% lead, YouGov analysis has the Tories losing their majority". It would be nice if the thread headers at least mentioned the other polls since anyone just reading the thread headers would not even know they existed.

If Yougov does turn out to be as flawed as many on all sides seem to think it is, then the site's preoccupation with it to the detriment of other polls will be seen to be rather foolish.

YouGov do have the limelight at the moment, and are drowning out coverage of other polls.
    And yet for some reason if they were showing substantial Tory leads I am not so sure they would be getting the same attention.
    They do, remember the night when we had polls showing Tory leads in the 20s?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/04/22/opinium-sees-the-tory-lead-up-10-in-a-week-to-19/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/04/22/labour-reduce-the-tory-lead-to-23-with-yougov-in-the-most-incredible-polling-night-i-can-remember/
    All the polls were showing the same thing and all were being treated equally. Why are you currently ignoring polls that show the Tories in a better position than Yougov? The last time you showed a chart from any pollster other than Yougov was 6 days and 16 threads ago.
    I'm not ignoring them.

I shall be doing a piece on them this weekend.

Panelbase was nearly a fortnight old and I have huge concerns about Surveymonkey and the Survation phone poll that is UK wide.

The latter two showed shrinking Tory leads but didn't get a thread.
  • Options

notme said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

I thought it was proved on here that PV samples were a load of bollocks? No one sees enough of them to get a grasp, or something like that? Or you simply can't see them?

No it is quite possible to get a very accurate assessment of the situation. It only takes a bit of experience It is a consistent and verifiable skill. You only need regular samples to pick up a trend. You can't determine a seat that will be lost by a thousand, but you can tell the ones that are going to be lost by 5,000.

Isn't it now the case that the Electoral Commission has instructed that postal voting verification shall take place in a manner whereby it is not possible to see the ballot form being extracted from the ballot envelope? Some places might not be following this.

This is the first election since I started PB when I haven't received a call advising about PV counting is going.
    Those have long been the rules, however. Clearly after the various reports circulating last time they are just making an effort to take more care to keep the votes concealed. Which is a good thing.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sigh.

So you support the right of employers changing your hourly rate after working those hours?
    That would surprise me. What evidence do you have of that?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

Suddenly, in a vast and silent tomb, deep under Dulwich, an eye opens, glittering.
    England is in peril.
    Thatcher awakens.

Realises that several Thatcher piles will have to be sold to pay for her considerable care costs, boots Theresa's arse, goes back to sleep.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    SeanT said:
    That's landslide territory, if those seats are in contention? I don't even know what is going on anymore.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    calum said:

Michael Crick‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @MichaelLCrick 5 mins5 minutes ago

Conservatives may be in trouble, but May's itinerary today suggests she's still very much on the offensive, visiting seats held by Labour

In denial !
    Egypt?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:
    Noticed Jim Messina was rubbishing YouGov on Twitter last night.

His opinion of UK pollsters was fairly excruciating after 2015 - Probably worth revisiting

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/05/jim-messina-interview-how-the-pollsters-got-it-wrong-and-why-labour-lost/
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Have to say, the Tories response across the board is not one of a party that thinks it's in any danger of a hung parliament. They might be wrong/complacent of course, but their internal polling and targetting was exceptionally good in 2015.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    These schedules are agreed days in advance between HQ and the local campaigns, however, not least so local media and a crowd of helpers can be lined up in advance. Of course plans can be changed, but if the Tories suddenly cleared their diaries and all rushed to Kensington and Hastings you can bet it would soon become a big story...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

calum said:
    Pretty much every begging email I get from the LibDems mentions the cost of online stuff like FB adds, so it must be eating up a good slice of the parties' spending.

And it counts as part of the national spend, not the local spend.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:
    These schedules are agreed days in advance between HQ and the local campaigns, however, not least so local media and a crowd of helpers can be lined up in advance. Of course plans can be changed, but if the Tories suddenly cleared their diaries and all rushed to Kensington and Hastings you can bet it would soon become a big story...
    Yeah, but it's been more than days since the polling slump
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    Andrew said:

Have to say, the Tories response across the board is not one of a party that thinks it's in any danger of a hung parliament. They might be wrong/complacent of course, but their internal polling and targetting was exceptionally good in 2015.

Although Mrs May has been campaigning in Twickenham, which doesn't suggest she's too optimistic...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    RobD said:

SeanT said:
    That's landslide territory, if those seats are in contention? I don't even know what is going on anymore.
    do we know the seats?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

Although Mrs May has been campaigning in Twickenham, which doesn't suggest she's too optimistic...
    Twickenham is precisely THE seat May needs to be losing in order to destroy Labour.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Good point from previous thread about us all letting yougov dictate the narrative. Shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I've still no idea how this election will pan out. I think tory win but no ideal of scale.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    when will the letter be printed in the papers from 100 Top Business Leaders saying Labour are a clear and present danger to the UK Economy
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

RobD said:

Maybe they should have smuggled her into the Leave camp? Think what she could have done to their vote share :D
    A bit unfair, she gave a good speech on why Britain should stay in the EU that TOPPING linked below. She clearly didn't sign up to the project fear aspects (although she's doing that no with the no deal stuff)
    Fair enough, but her behaviour makes me wonder. If she was a Remainer, why would she want to be a PM who has to be a "Leave" PM? Either she was never a Remainer and was just following Cabinet policy or if she was a Remainer then the lure of power was too much to resist.
    It's possible that she genuinely thought that her Home Office EU negotiations could be used as a model for Brexit and didn't appreciate the gravity of the decisions that will need to be made. It's certainly my impression that one of the main factors in pushing her to go for an early election was the realisation that she was going 'alone and naked' into the negotiations.

That is, without doubt, the case. And May has blown her chances of a White Cliffs of Dover, We Shall Never Surrender Brexit by being so useless. The Tories are going to get rid of her sooner rather than later, I imagine. But who takes over who can keep them together?

I wonder if it will ever get so FUBAR that people will start yelling "STOP"?

Even some of the Leavers on here seem to getting a bit lukewarm on the whole process
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    matt said:

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sigh.

if that is indeed happening, then I would not support it.

I would still support ZHCs, in principle.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

If she wins a decent majority - 50+ - she'll survive, if she gets over 80 or 100 everyone will forget her dire campaign (until the next one).

If she gets over 80 or 100 she won't have had a dire campaign, by definition. There aren't any points awarded for style and technique.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Do you realise that ZHC are most heavily used in the charitable sector (over a third of contracts) and the public sector (around a quarter of contracts) not the private sector (under 8% of contracts). So its not those nasty capitalists at all :tongue:
    Charity?

Do you know how much directors are paid at charities? They get more than the PM. 6 figure salaries and the other people in the office are doing it out of the goodness in their heart or on a zero hour contract.

Look at the size of the houses these directors working for charities actually live in compared to people on zero hour contracts.
    I think you're tarring everyone with the same brush there.

You're talking about the massive lefty-leaning lobbying organisations that came from charitable roots but are now just political campaigning groups. Oxfam, NSPCC, RSPCA, Shelter etc. How many people did Shelter actually, erm, shelter, last Christmas?

They are only in it for the money - that's true and they won't ever see any of mine.

Real charities still exist. I do a few things for a few that are still voluntary almost to the top and even then the directors are paid realistically and frugally. We still see it as a vocation and it's not enough to make a living from full time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

As best I can tell Labour wants to have an economy similar to the one we had in the 1970's - nationalized industries, unions with unlimited powers, high taxes. I suppose if Brexit happens, exchange controls will be next.

That's more or less what I think Corbyn and McDonnell are about, undoing the legacy of the Thatcher, Major, and Blair years. Payback for their supporters and the unions.

But it will be worse than during the 1970s, because as bad as the British economy was then it wasn't vastly different from other similar sized economies. The economy was bad, but it was in the same ballpark as others. If we reverse back to the 1970s, other economies will not follow us, they aren't going to undo their liberalisation, they aren't going to start nationalising things, and they will be delighted to see foreign investment head to safer shores. So we will be miles behind similar competitor economies.

If Brexit is a kick in the nuts for the UK economy, Labour under Corbyn would be like losing a leg.
  • Options

Don't they have reserves to call upon.

So no need for fundraising/donations
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited June 2017
    calum said:
    As ever, the Conservative party is buying the election. Crooked Conservatives!!

PS when is Thanet decision due?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

It is utterly bizarre. No idea what is happening.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

That Mrs. May was in Plymouth Sutton yesterday ( CON majority 521) is very telling. The YouGov model has it as likely LAB.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Suddenly, in a vast and silent tomb, deep under Dulwich, an eye opens, glittering.
    England is in peril.
    Thatcher awakens.

LOL! Possibly your finest short story ever :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

Twickenham is precisely THE seat May needs to be losing in order to destroy Labour.
    Why?
  • Options

I'm actually more convinced from these interminable discussions that people who are massively, vocally antiZHCs have likely never been on one.

There are substantial downsides to ZHCs, but a ban is stupid, because for some people in some circumstances a ZHC works better for them that the alternative, which may well be no work.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

RobD said:

Even some of the Leavers on here seem to getting a bit lukewarm on the whole process
    In your dreams.
    Get on with it and bugger off to Southern Ireland.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

notme said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

Isn't it now the case that the Electoral Commission has instructed that postal voting verification shall take place in a manner whereby it is not possible to see the ballot form being extracted from the ballot envelope? Some places might not be following this.

This is the first election since I started PB when I haven't received a call advising about PV counting is going.
    In Sutton there is an observation table set uo for agents who wish to watch the sampking take place..
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    murali_s said:

calum said:
    As ever, the Conservative party is buying the election. Crooked Conservatives!!

PS when is Thanet decision due?
    According to the sages it should be tiday shouldnt it?
  • Options

RobD said:

If May gets a majority over 50 it is Brexit on her terms, indeed only a hung parliament would likely see soft Brexit
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/870239669132423168

If my deductions are correct, Labour are on 50% and the Conservatives on 33% in this YouGov London poll.
  • Options
    matt said:

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sigh.

London Companies
    Sales Jobs.
    Construction jobs.
    Finance jobs.

Jobs where your paid an agreed hourly rate or you get commission. The job is more difficult than expected and the employer simple undercuts your wage and when you appeal there is nothing you can do about it.

There is nothing in a zero hour contract stopping employers breaking pay and conditions.
  • Options
    Anecdote alert:

In Hampstead and Kilburn Labour won last time with a very small majority. The Lib Dems were a long long way behind. So this is a marginal where the Tories really should be confident of winning and should be putting some effort into.

And yet the only party that I can see regularly leafleting etc are the Lib Dems who have absolutely no chance here unless something amazing happens. The Tories sent a leaflet once at the very start. The Labour MP actually bothered to canvass and was personally impressive. Either the Tories think it in the bag or they are focusing their efforts elsewhere in the constituency or they are being useless/complacent.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

I don't follow your argument on that one. She needs to carry what she has got and take seats off Labour. The Lib Dems might pick up a few seats but they are being treated as a fringe party due to the fact they only won 8 seats at the last election and came fourth in the popular vote. Will be interesting to see if they get back into third in votes but I think they will be fifth in seats behind Con, Lab, SNP, DUP and then Lib Dem.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

RobD said:

An interesting factor in the podcast on the previous thread was that voters remember the bad parts of the Conservative manifesto and the good parts of Labour's. Ironically, one pundit then advised the Tories to go negative! Surely what Theresa May needs to do is to show us her path to the broad, sunlit uplands.

It's impossible to compete with Labour on that front since they are promising everything to everyone.
    Actually, Labour's costed manifesto is surprisingly cautious. It is the uncosted Conservative one that is the pig in the poke. You might disagree with Labour's costings and assumptions and priorities but at least they are there.
    From the man who regularly tells us everything would have been tickety-boo if only we had stayed the course with Gordon Brown....

Labour's manifesto is a giant con. If implemented, it would require vast tax rises. Those who could leave would. Those who remain would have their pips squeaked in a way Dennis Healy could never have dreamt of.
    Ask the Chancellor about Conservative plans to increase taxes after the election. We know he has them. We know they are not in the manifesto.
  • Options

matt said:

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sigh.

London Companies
    Sales Jobs.
    Construction jobs.
    Finance jobs.

Jobs where your paid an agreed hourly rate or you get commission. The job is more difficult than expected and the employer simple undercuts your wage and when you appeal there is nothing you can do about it.

There is nothing in a zero hour contract stopping employers breaking pay and conditions.
    Proper evidence, lad.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

Why?
    Remain/Leave polarisation of the electorate.
  • Options

Don't they have reserves to call upon.

So no need for fundraising/donations
    They have had big donations from Brian Router, Sir Sean Connery and Euromillions winners in the past so yes they probably gave significant reserves
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

I don't follow your argument on that one. She needs to carry what she has got and take seats off Labour. The Lib Dems might pick up a few seats but they are being treated as a fringe party due to the fact they only won 8 seats at the last election and came fourth in the popular vote. Will be interesting to see if they get back into third in votes but I think they will be fifth in seats behind Con, Lab, SNP, DUP and then Lib Dem.
    I think Pulpstar is talking about the types of voters she needs to appeal to.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Links through to The Economist article saying "Vote Lib Dem". I agree with two points in the article

1) The LDs cannot win
    2) Brexit feels more like a retreat to Olde Englande than a reaching out to a global world.
  • Options
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,110
    Why has Osborne hidden part of the front page story?
  • Options
    glw said:

There are substantial downsides to ZHCs, but a ban is stupid, because for some people in some circumstances a ZHC works better for them that the alternative, which may well be no work.
    Throw in a potential early on, but ... yes.

• Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    O/T

Can anyone point me to a resource that shows Industry-Specific Multiples for EBIT when valuing businesses in the UK? (SME).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I think he will be somewhat disappointed by "the 48%".
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    SeanT said:

I think I'm going to cry.
    cry with laughter

he's even more popular than Osborne
  • Options
    They [LibDems] are more honest than the Tories about the need to raise taxes for public services; and more sensible than Labour, spreading the burden rather than leaning only on high-earners. Unlike Labour they would reverse the Tories’ most regressive welfare cuts. They are on the right side of other issues: for devolution of power from London, reform of the voting system and the House of Lords, and regulation of markets for drugs and sex.

..against a backward-looking Labour Party and an inward-looking Tory party about to compound its historic mistake over Brexit, they get our vote...consider a vote for the Lib Dems as a down-payment for the future. Our hope is that they become one element of a party of the radical centre, essential for a thriving, prosperous Britain.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21722855-leaders-both-main-parties-have-turned-away-decades-old-vision-open-liberal?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/thebritishelectionthemiddlehasfallenoutofbritishpolitics
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Chris said:

isam said:

How many times do opinion polls have to be wrong before people realise they're a load of old shit?

"If the polls called it incorrectly in the last two national elections, why should take seriously what they tell us now? Why did they indicate one thing, pretty strongly, only for the public to say something different? I believe it’s because they are not recording the opinion of the public as a whole but extrapolating the opinion of the type who like answering opinion polls - the politically engaged."

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-problem-with-opinion-polls-polls.html?m=1

I've been sceptical all along about the accuracy of opinion polls. But most people didn't seem very sceptical before. The doubts seemed to emerge when some of the polls started showing only small Tory leads.

Where the opinion poll sceptics remain confident of a Tory victory, I don't know what that's based on.
    Canvassing. Possibly rumours of postal votes too, if people were being naughty.
    Hmm. Maybe some people within the parties have access to sophisticated analyses of canvass data that might tell them something that opinion polling doesn't. But I don't believe that about the Tory enthusiasts posting here.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

If she wins a decent majority - 50+ - she'll survive, if she gets over 80 or 100 everyone will forget her dire campaign (until the next one).

If she gets over 80 or 100 she won't have had a dire campaign, by definition. There aren't any points awarded for style and technique.
    Take your point, but even if she wins pretty big, she's had a dire campaign in terms of personal ratings, the manifesto launch, &c. Remember she is up against a crazy Marxist with terrorist sympathies.

She has way more money, she had most of the media, she had the crucial advantage of surprise, of choosing when and how to fight. She SHOULD be winning by 80-100 seats in this scenario. It's par.

All that is correct. But it won't matter. She will have won and when Conservative MPs get back to Westminster all they'll notice is that there are a lot more of them than there were before.

They may get a bit nervous in about 4 1/2 years' time perhaps but an awful will have happened between now and then.

Of course all that is IF she wins....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rkrkrk said:

glw said:

RobD said:

Surprisingly cautious? They don't even include the cost to the exchequer of re-nationalisation, let alone their overoptimistic predictions from how much revenue their tax hikes will bring in..

The water companies alone will cost £66 billion, and buying will make absolutely no difference to the service, for that to happen much more money will have to be spent.

So no Labour's manifesto is not fully costed, and anyone who says it is is a chump.

Interest of 1.5% is a very big assumption.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    Do not adjust reality. This can be dismissed as YouGov and Ozzy's bitterness.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    SeanT said:

I think I'm going to cry.
    Why? London is always a different kettle of fish - a classy sophisticated progressive city. No need to worry, Tories well ahead in the shires...
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2017

glw said:

If it kills off chuggers I'm all for it.
    WHere are these stats Indigo?
    There was a report by the CPID in 2013. Going back to check it seems they published an update to the figures for 2015.

https://www.cipd.co.uk/Images/zero-hours-and-short-hours-contracts-in-the-uk_2015-employer-employee-perspectives_tcm18-10713.pdf

The new numbers are private sector 24, public sector 32, voluntary sector 31.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

SeanT said:

calum said:
    I think pb.com should crowd scource the leaflets/surveys they recieve, although this is obviously not the only way the parties are spending money it will give us idea where they are targetting. If a pb poster reports for example has recieved three lots of leaflets in Bolsover it is clear they are expecting a big majority if however someone recieves lots of materials from the tories in what people expected to be an easy Gain for them then maybe that tells us something different?

Ealing North: " lots of leaflets from labour and my uni age sister recieved another one from lab saying don't vote lib dem. Nothing from anyone else.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sigh.

Who does ?
    I'm not sure very many are arguing for the status quo - there is, for example, a government sponsored review in process which is likely to recommend (for instance) the right of workers to convert from zero hours to fixed contracts.

Of course, as always, the devil will be in the detail - but it's interesting to note that McDonalds recentlygave their ZOC employees exactly that option, and only 20% opted to convert.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

glw said:

RobD said:

Interest of 1.5% is a very big assumption.
    Nah. You just engage in financial repression to drive down yields. Nothing distorting about that at all, of course.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    HYUFD said:
    lol

kiss of death
  • Options

glw said:

Throw in a potential early on, but ... yes.

I'm not proposing a ban on zhcs.

I think it should be law that employers cannot change the pay conditions of zhc employees under any circumstances. You agree an hourly rate or a fee and it must be honoured. If the employer needs to cut costs, you don't let work.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    If Labour are on 50% in London how many seats could they gain?
  • Options

RobD said:

People are entitled to change their mind. What I don't see is the mechanism by which such a change of mind could be implemented before the March 2019 deadline? What if the rest of the EU says "no" to a request to stay in?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    felix said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    do we know the seats?
    Guisborough is mentioned on Guardian blog.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Cyan said:
    If Corbyn can crack the Nats then it's on.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

currystar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sigh.

That isn't a feature of a ZHC, that is a feature of a shite contract. Some ZHC state an hourly rate, its the fact that there is no guarantee of work that makes it a ZHC.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I seem to recall another election where YouGov volume of polling output was distorting what other polls were suggesting..... and also there was often the holiday polling hypothesis. Are these both redundant now?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    SeanT said:

Freggles said:
    This feels terrible. This feels like YouGov is right, and the Tories are gonna lose seats.

This feels like Trump, this feels like Brexit.

Labour are now 5/1 to have most seats....

Wales and London have flipped back to Labour, big time. Question is, are these the only traditional Labour areas doing this or are others as well?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Do not adjust reality. This can be dismissed as YouGov and Ozzy's bitterness.
    Good i recommend a visit to the Seaside.

Plenty of sand to bury your head in.

As others have found to their cost

Do not underestimate Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    The Bridgend anecdote far worse for the Tories than the London polling.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Freggles said:
    This feels terrible. This feels like YouGov is right, and the Tories are gonna lose seats.

This feels like Trump, this feels like Brexit.

Labour are now 5/1 to have most seats....

Don't Panic.

As the good book said on the cover.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    do we know the seats?
    No such seat - nearest is Gainsborough with a 15000 tory majority!
  • Options
    I wouldn't read much at all into party donations in a single week of the campaign.

It covers only large donations, whereas small contributions are very important on the local level at this point. At the national level, it won't really change spending plans over the campaign period (you've either got a mailing planned or not now - you can't really change much that's booked in, or supplement it - it's just about coming out with more or less debt).

It's also worth noting that two-thirds of the Tory total is accounted for by a big donation from JCB and two from investment fund managers, whereas Labour got the bulk of its union contributions in an earlier period. For the SNP, as TSE notes, they have a fair bit in the bank (from those lottery winners for a start) and it's even more variable for them given they only cover a fraction of the country.
  • Options

RobD said:

An interesting factor in the podcast on the previous thread was that voters remember the bad parts of the Conservative manifesto and the good parts of Labour's. Ironically, one pundit then advised the Tories to go negative! Surely what Theresa May needs to do is to show us her path to the broad, sunlit uplands.

It's impossible to compete with Labour on that front since they are promising everything to everyone.
    Actually, Labour's costed manifesto is surprisingly cautious. It is the uncosted Conservative one that is the pig in the poke. You might disagree with Labour's costings and assumptions and priorities but at least they are there.
    From the man who regularly tells us everything would have been tickety-boo if only we had stayed the course with Gordon Brown....

Labour's manifesto is a giant con. If implemented, it would require vast tax rises. Those who could leave would. Those who remain would have their pips squeaked in a way Dennis Healy could never have dreamt of.
    Ask the Chancellor about Conservative plans to increase taxes after the election. We know he has them. We know they are not in the manifesto.
    Taxes definitely going up under the Tories after this election.

Taxes have to rise to pay for the debt and increasing avoidance of high earners. The big one and I know this from friends and families is flipping houses. So before your loved one dies, you sign the house to the sons daughters wife/husband. Avoiding inheritance tax. The rich will not pay the dementia tax only the middle class.
  • Options
    That's a 4% swing to Labour from the Conservatives, I think. On a uniform basis, that would win Labour the following seats:

Croydon Central
    Hendon

There aren't many marginals in London.
  • Options
    Labour most seats is 11 on BF.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    London is precisely the sort of place I'd expect to see Corbyn do very well.

But, not that well.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    edited June 2017
    felix said:

felix said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:
    do we know the seats?
    No such seat - nearest is Gainsborough with a 15000 tory majority!
    Guisborough is Middlesbrough South.
  • Options

Why has Osborne hidden part of the front page story?

A speech is currently embargoed.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    edited June 2017
    That Evening Standard front page is a real shocker.

I can't believe Osborne is leading with Gwyneth Paltrow's tits.
  • Options
    timmo said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

In Sutton there is an observation table set uo for agents who wish to watch the sampking take place..
    No, they watch the verification (of voter's details against the application forms). There is no sampling.
  • Options
    On polling if labour enthusiasm is up to vote then its seats where they racked up big majorities under blair that which later collapsed due to voter apathy are the seats we should be looking at. Some marginals have seen very little movement in 15-20 years but a lot of seats in the midlands, north have seen the labour vote decrease by 15,000-20,000.
This discussion has been closed.