Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More worrying numbers for Team Theresa as doubts amongst punte

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Alistair said:

JohnO said:

Oh well, it IS wobbly Thursday. Sea-sickness reigns on pbc. Twas ever thus.

All will be well. It really will.

I remember being this confident of a Hilary victory.

My book is heavily, heavily SCon surge. And not a small surge either.
    A two-klaxon surge?
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

AndyJS said:

It's odd how so many people are saying May should resign even if she wins an overall majority, and Corbyn should stay even if he loses. Perhaps it's the result itself that should matter, not the result compared to expectations.

May invited that comparison though, by calling an election when she didn't have to.
    May had to call an election because the economy is going to be in the tank by 2020 and most of the cuts haven't been felt yet. Get a landslide and just hold on and hope that by 2022 the economy has recovered.

The economy in the uk is very, very fragile. The pound hasn't recovered since brexit.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Dear God, I'd do ANYTHING. ANYTHING to go back in time and have Ed Miliband government right now.

He'd be a way better PM than either May or Corbyn.
    We'd have not had Brexit either.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

bobajobPB said:

Good London poll for the Corbynator.

Could Big Jezza actually win this sucker? Surely not??

bobajobPB said:

SNIP
    Seeing signs of trouble in things which are the norm.

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

It's London LOL

Why London is being read into as a test of the national mood is beyond me. Labour always polls well in London, a good London poll for Labour is standard, it's not news.

Plus it's YouGov.

This is as odd as when people were wondering why May and the Tories were campaigning in marginals.

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

It's London LOL

Why London is being read into as a test of the national mood is beyond me. Labour always polls well in London, a good London poll for Labour is standard, it's not news.

Plus it's YouGov.

This is as odd as when people were wondering why May and the Tories were campaigning in marginals.

I'm not sure you should dismiss it that easily. The swing in London to Labour is pretty sharp. People just don't like Theresa May. Re: where people are campaigning, that, too, can be instructive and was in 2015 when EdM was campaigning in his easiest target.

P.S. I have been looking into the garden tax. It appears to be a land value tax, which is not actually a bad idea. Under the system, land with planning permission which is not being developed would attract a larger tax penalty – which is a useful tool to get developers to build stuff rather than land banking shovel-ready land as a rising asset. The idea that gardens would attract a large tax is completely misleading – unless you have planning permission on them they are very low value!

Just goes to show that you shouldn't believe anything you read in the Tory press – even the once great Telegraph.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Christ on a bike. The level of bedwetting on the basis of basically no evidence except for some highly suspect YouGov polling, which was highly suspect and mostly just plain wrong in the last election, is absurd and frankly painful to read. People really need to grow a pair and wait until the gold standard shows us there is a problem. If Tessie romps in with a majority of 80 or so, a lot of people here are going to look more than faintly ridiculous.

Exactly :lol:

Coming back on here to find PBers losing it over YouGov polling and specifically YouGov polling on London :lol:

London is not representative of the country. It's heavily Labour and has been so for sometime. The way some are going on you'd think it was the Midlands.

When the poll comes back showing Labour level in the Midlands is when the PB bowels truly drop.
    Labour ahead in the Midlands/Wales subsample on today's YouGov :D
    Calm down Danny

You know, I know we wake up on 9/6/17 to

TMICIPM increased majority unfortunately
    I know, but it's still fun to enjoy the PBTory panic while it lasts.

Tbh, I'm just demob-happy because, at the beginning of the campaign, I was resigned to the Tories getting a bigger majority than Blair 1997, which thankfully now looks out of bounds (*touches wood*).
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Pulpstar said:

Dear God, I'd do ANYTHING. ANYTHING to go back in time and have Ed Miliband government right now.

Same and I never thought I would say that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Pulpstar said:

Would have just been postponing the inevitable.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962

Pulpstar said:

Yep. OK No IHT changes would be a future worse for me, but the dementia tax could potentially cost me alot of money. I think the original IHT was probably the fairest way.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Agreed. Ed would have made a decent PM I think – still have no idea why he was unpopular, beyond childish red top bacon sandwich freeze frames.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

That's because we wouldn't have had a ref.

And UKIP would be massive.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

AndyJS said:

It's odd how so many people are saying May should resign even if she wins an overall majority, and Corbyn should stay even if he loses. Perhaps it's the result itself that should matter, not the result compared to expectations.

May invited that comparison though, by calling an election when she didn't have to.
    She really did. She needed the relevant bits of BrExit in a manifesto so she could get it through the Lords, she can't afford to piss around for two years with the Parliament Act. Even if she gets an unexciting majority of 40 or so, she will be much better placed because she will be able to ignore The Lords in whole areas where she currently can't.
    +1
  • Options

If mum and dad flip there home to my spouse, does that mean the state pays for all there social care under the tory social care policy?

Only if it were done a long time in advance. Otherwise it'd be "deliberate deprivation". At best the transaction would be reversed by a court, at worst they'd be prosecuted for fraud.

A woman in my great uncle's old care home did try doing it a long way in advance, and transferred her home to her daughter in law. Then her daughter in law evicted her.
    We won't evict mum and dad.

But I'm told that this is very common practice in the leafy tory shires. So again the tax will fall on the middle class.
    I wouldn't believe everything you hear...
    Lets send HMRC to the most expensive streets in tory held seats and speak to all the pensioners and test it.

I think you would be very, very shocked at how many old pensioners no-longer look after there home.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    That you gov nonsense now has Labour SECOND in Ceredigion but the bookies have them at least 100/1
  • Options
    Richard

To some extent. Although how does it favour Labour if a Labour PV lead gives the Tories a large seat lead (as we read below)?

Why has it changed?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,264
    edited June 2017
    Cyan said:

How might the Farage-Russia story impact the election? UKIP will lose votes, but where to? As soon as Trump was elected May ran and literally held Trump's hand, so I can't see much of a plus for the Tories. If Britain elects Labour, we should be proud of voters here who are in effect saying no to both Trump and Putin.

I'll be surprised if Assange holds his tongue for much longer.

I think most people actually understand that the British PM has to work with the elected US President.

It's fun to mock the hand-holding or whatever... but what does "saying no to both Trump and Putin" actually mean? They remain the leaders of the US and Russia, and we have to deal with that.

I'd also query if voting Labour says "no" to Putin. Plainly, he'd rather Corbyn was elected as it may well remove a nuclear power within NATO, makes the West a little more chaotic, and he'd be less likely to leave Russia isolated in the Security Council. (EDIT: Not saying Corbyn is comfortable with Putin, like Trump or Le Pen were. Just that I think Putin thinks he'd be by far the preferable PM from his own perspective).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited June 2017

Christ on a bike. The level of bedwetting on the basis of basically no evidence except for some highly suspect YouGov polling, which was highly suspect and mostly just plain wrong in the last election, is absurd and frankly painful to read. People really need to grow a pair and wait until the gold standard shows us there is a problem. If Tessie romps in with a majority of 80 or so, a lot of people here are going to look more than faintly ridiculous.

It's *still* campaigning on the wrong issues (the right issues are Brexit, the economy and security).
    But not in that order. The right issues are:

the economy, the economy, the economy.

And then acknowledge, as Tezza began to today, that we can't let health and education fall back, funding-wise. Dear god compared with Jezza's spending Tezza could promise a free taxi for everyone going to their GP for a year and still come out up vs Lab's plans.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    When are we likely to get the estimate (Press Association last time I think) of when each constituency is likely to declare?
  • Options

If mum and dad flip there home to my spouse, does that mean the state pays for all there social care under the tory social care policy?

Only if it were done a long time in advance. Otherwise it'd be "deliberate deprivation". At best the transaction would be reversed by a court, at worst they'd be prosecuted for fraud.

A woman in my great uncle's old care home did try doing it a long way in advance, and transferred her home to her daughter in law. Then her daughter in law evicted her.

But I'm told that this is very common practice in the leafy tory shires. So again the tax will fall on the middle class.
    I wouldn't believe everything you hear...
    Lets send HMRC to the most expensive streets in tory held seats and speak to all the pensioners and test it.

I think you would be very, very shocked at how many old pensioners no-longer look after there home.
    Any stats on this, or just a hunch?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Cyan said:

How might the Farage-Russia story impact the election?

It won't.

Next.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

That you gov nonsense now has Labour SECOND in Ceredigion but the bookies have them at least 100/1

Decent-sized university in Ceredigion....
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    where's my "Don't blame me for this clusterfvck, I voted Labour in 2015" badge?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Pulpstar said:

Ed Miliband would have been a very poor PM. Obviously a zillion times better than Corbyn would be, but that's the lowest bar it's possible to imagine.

May is a reasonably good PM, and a much better PM than she is a campaigner or speech-maker. Of course she's not in Cameron's league, but no-one should be surprised at that.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Under current policy as well, if you get away with it. Under current policy you lose all down to £23K, under proposal all down to £100k and you don't settle up until the owner dies.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712

Pulpstar said:

Even Cameron falling a few seats short would have meant ditching the referendum

On such fine margins...
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Looks to me like Labour are being corralled into inner London, the Valleys and the large city centres. The Tories clearly plan to bank the rest of the country then start dissolving the city fascination with Labour. 10 year extermination programme.
    Or something.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Pulpstar said:

But he didn't know how to eat a bacon sandwich neatly.
    So it's swings and roundabouts really...

(Privately some of my London Tory friends have told me they wished Miliband had won because of Brexit. What will they say if they end up with Corbyn!?)
  • Options

When are we likely to get the estimate (Press Association last time I think) of when each constituency is likely to declare?

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/general_2017_by_time.php
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree if Corbyn gets in, the pressure to 'cancel' Brexit will be huge.

How many people voting Labour are still very much for Brexit? The idea that Corbyn would can Brexit would be toxic to Labour north of the Severn-Wash line. And by giving away all his trading chips up front (as he has done), the EU could give a truly shit take-it-or-leave-it deal, knowing he would take it because he won't countenance "no deal is better than a poor deal".

Corbyn's ineptitude is there for all to see on his approach to Brexit. What is unfathomable is why the Tories haven't put his nuts in a vice over this.

CCHQ, what ARE you doing? Playing candy crush all day?
    How is the Bay looking - any word back from Kevin ?
    Kevin was not worried when I spoke to him a couple of days ago. UKIP is dead (not seen a single poster), LibDems not in favour because of second Referendum. Number of LibDem window posters is well down, especially in the old council estates (of which there are a surprising number in Torbay). Labour a bit more visible - but not unhappy to see their posters in windows!
    Corbyn surge definitely helps the Tories around the margins in the Southwest.
    May went down like cold sick in Plymouth according to Cornwall live, who also have all six seats on a knifedge.

http://m.cornwalllive.com/prime-minister-theresa-may-came-to-plymouth-and-left-reporters-scratching-their-heads/story-30365969-detail/story.html

Boy, is she crap!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Someone on the VoteUK forum has done a brilliant job of putting all the YouGov constituency forecasts into a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTQlKRb8xuu7eWOKWPd-rr3FpMnvmFRpuISGae6_POs/edit#gid=1491560107
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Blue_rog said:

Under current policy as well, if you get away with it. Under current policy you lose all down to £23K, under proposal all down to £100k and you don't settle up until the owner dies.
    Actually you lose all down to 16K. 23K is the point at which the state starts to chip in, but it doesn't pick up the whole bill until you get down to 16K.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Pulpstar said:

Ed Miliband would have been a very poor PM. Obviously a zillion times better than Corbyn would be, but that's the lowest bar it's possible to imagine.

May is a reasonably good PM, and a much better PM than she is a campaigner or speech-maker. Of course she's not in Cameron's league, but no-one should be surprised at that.
    Cameron was right for 2010, May right for 2017
  • Options
    murali_s said:

where's my "Don't blame me for this clusterfvck, I voted Labour in 2015" badge?

I think it's the other side of the two-sided badge. The other way round it reads 'Oops, blame me for the clusterf*ck, I voted Corbyn'
  • Options

Looks to me like Labour are being corralled into inner London, the Valleys and the large city centres. The Tories clearly plan to bank the rest of the country then start dissolving the city fascination with Labour. 10 year extermination programme.
    Or something.

Vote Tory to vaporise England's cities!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I could cope with the despair, it's the hope that we might after all get a hung Parliament that I can't stand.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Someone on the VoteUK forum has done a brilliant job of putting all the YouGov constituency forecasts into a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTQlKRb8xuu7eWOKWPd-rr3FpMnvmFRpuISGae6_POs/edit#gid=1491560107

That's going to be a pain to update each day :p
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    bobajobPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Agreed. Ed would have made a decent PM I think – still have no idea why he was unpopular, beyond childish red top bacon sandwich freeze frames.
    Broken robot Miliband?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTggc0uBA8
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,204

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/870261146951049217

Corbyn more economically realistic than May...

Corbyn showing he is a completely shite negotiator. What is the incentive for the EU to offer any elements of compromise if they know Corbyn will sign up to that deal rather than no deal?

He's even more inept at dealing wth the the EU than Cameron, and that's saying something....
    He's stating the fucking obvious. The fact May is pretending black is white is probably one of her problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

They've already released it:
    http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/general_2017_by_name.php

These were the declaration times at GE2015:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o3RvcR3zAf4H6dMyvN5Bvk7zrlTUMQQYJE74xpeOJAQ/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thanks.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

How many people voting Labour are still very much for Brexit? The idea that Corbyn would can Brexit would be toxic to Labour north of the Severn-Wash line. And by giving away all his trading chips up front (as he has done), the EU could give a truly shit take-it-or-leave-it deal, knowing he would take it because he won't countenance "no deal is better than a poor deal".

Corbyn's ineptitude is there for all to see on his approach to Brexit. What is unfathomable is why the Tories haven't put his nuts in a vice over this.

Kevin was not worried when I spoke to him a couple of days ago. UKIP is dead (not seen a single poster), LibDems not in favour because of second Referendum. Number of LibDem window posters is well down, especially in the old council estates (of which there are a surprising number in Torbay). Labour a bit more visible - but not unhappy to see their posters in windows!
    May went down like cold sick in Plymouth according to Cornwall live, who also have all six seats on a knifedge.

http://m.cornwalllive.com/prime-minister-theresa-may-came-to-plymouth-and-left-reporters-scratching-their-heads/story-30365969-detail/story.html

Boy, is she crap!
    "Sam later wrote in the Herald: "I was pleased to have secured the interview and happy to have squeezed all my points in.

"Back at the office, we scratched our heads and wondered what the top line was.
    "She had given me absolutely nothing. It was like a version of Radio 4's Just A Minute.

"I pictured Nicholas Parsons in the chair: "The next topic is how Plymouth will be affected by Brexit, military cuts and meltdown. Theresa, you have three minutes to talk without clarity, candour or transparency. Your time starts now."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

YouGov 'importing' Labour-voting 18-30s into the seat from the surrounding area to supplement those there who will lean more heavily LibDem.

I am fairly certain that the YG methodology can't work for any seat we would see as unusual - third party in contention, etc.

It ought to be better at dealing with straightforward Labour/Tory swing, which is more regional and less seat-specific, assuming that its sample isn't biased to begin with (which is the big 'if').
  • Options
    @bobajobPB Yes, people are certainly going off May (rightly so). But she is still more liked than Corbyn, despite his surge. It's London (and probably other safe Labour areas too) where Corbyn is more popular than May, and has been for a very long time.

On the tax, I need assurances that my parents council tax (or whatever it is that replaces it) isn't going to Sky rocket up. We have the garden at the back in terms of 'land', that's it. The house was worth around 172k when we moved in in 2007. House prices have gone up since then, I don't know whether that is relevant to the LVT.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Or something.

Turn the country into market towns ;)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

And by giving away all his trading chips up front (as he has done), the EU could give a truly shit take-it-or-leave-it deal, knowing he would take it because he won't countenance "no deal is better than a poor deal".

Realistically nobody could sell the "we'd be prepared to walk away without a deal" bluff unless they'd been cultivating a Trump-level image of personal instability. If the Tories want to run with that they'll have to get rid of May and pick somebody properly bonkers like David Tredinnick.
  • Options

Or something.

Timeto release my designer virus that hits left wing wierdos
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    SeanT said:

TudorRose said:

Banging on about grammar schools is a core vote strategy.

I agree; Lynton knows what he's doing.
    Which begs the question, do the Tories currently fear losing some of that core vote? Instead of seeking to make gains, are they battling to hold what they've already got?
    My current assessment is the Tories are worried about losing seats in London, Bath, and Plymouth.

I don't think they will ever lose the oldies to Corbyn. It's the 35-50 year olds in marginals they are fighting for.

Kind of feels to me like a 40:40 campaign, redux.
    40:40?
    Hold 40 seats, Gain 40 seats
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/870261146951049217

Corbyn more economically realistic than May...

Corbyn showing he is a completely shite negotiator. What is the incentive for the EU to offer any elements of compromise if they know Corbyn will sign up to that deal rather than no deal?

He's even more inept at dealing wth the the EU than Cameron, and that's saying something....
    He's stating the fucking obvious. The fact May is pretending black is white is probably one of her problems.
    Every time you say you don't believe in Brexit a fairy dies.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

Two universities I think, Aberystwyth and Lampeter.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    bobajobPB said:

Cyan, Sean etc

What happened to the idea, so often aggressively and sometimes pompously punted on here by the likes of Richard N etc that 650 seats under FPP favoured Labour?? It nows seems that a PV vote lead still isn't enough to give Labour most seats.

Nor do we hear from the PB Tories that 650 seats should be cut to 600, as we used to do, endlessly. Presumably as the system now favours the Tories (why and how has it changed?) the PB Tories are perfectly happy with the status quo?

On the seat reduction because it's the law and until the Boundary Commisdion reports (next year?) there's nothing to say
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    AndyJS said:

We know how well constituency forecasts/polls worked in 2015...

I don't believe the polls that are asking about the local candidates, as they are making people think locally and we know local elections give completely different results to the GE.

• Options

Or something.

The increase in the Labour share in the London poll isn't any different to their national rise with YouGov.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

yes but both terms end this Saturday and most have already gone home
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

And by giving away all his trading chips up front (as he has done), the EU could give a truly shit take-it-or-leave-it deal, knowing he would take it because he won't countenance "no deal is better than a poor deal".

Realistically nobody could sell the "we'd be prepared to walk away without a deal" bluff unless they'd been cultivating a Trump-level image of personal instability. If the Tories want to run with that they'll have to get rid of May and pick somebody properly bonkers like David Tredinnick.
    Tredinnick is proof that you can elect a donkey if it has the correct colour of rosette.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Or something.

Turn the country into market towns ;)
    Paddy McGuinness at the Corn Exchange

With his joke
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    edited June 2017

But maybe not in Plymouth.... Depends where the Kippers go - home to Labour, on to the Tories?

Depends on the seat, home to Labour in Sutton & Devonport but on to the Tories in Moor View. Mercer has turned out to be a very good and popular constituency MP, Colvile is a bit of a non-entity.

WillS.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Andrew said:

Now Corbyn comes along and threatens to spend £60 billion out of nowhere and there are no bombs?

60 billion? He's planning to nationalise everything in sight, free tuition fees, cancel student debt, increase spending all over the place, etc etc etc. Spending commitments for 20/30bn are getting tossed around like sweeties.

More like 300bn right there.
    How much does Trident cost?
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

Two universities in Ceredigion, although I will concede that Lampeter can't really be called "decent-sized".
  • Options

If labour hold darlington at 01.30am what does that mean for the tory majority prediction?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

YouGov 'importing' Labour-voting 18-30s into the seat from the surrounding area to supplement those there who will lean more heavily LibDem.

I am fairly certain that the YG methodology can't work for any seat we would see as unusual - third party in contention, etc.

It ought to be better at dealing with straightforward Labour/Tory swing, which is more regional and less seat-specific, assuming that its sample isn't biased to begin with (which is the big 'if').
    Yeah, in reality I'd definitely still expect the Labour share to be depressed in places where they start in 3rd place.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But maybe not in Plymouth.... Depends where the Kippers go - home to Labour, on to the Tories?
    Depends on the seat, home to Labour in Sutton & Devonport but on to the Tories in Moor View. Mercer has turned out to be a very good and popular constituency MP, Colvile is a bit of a non-entity.

WillS.

You don't need to sign your name on every message - it appears automatically

#thankmelater

PM
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

(Privately some of my London Tory friends have told me they wished Miliband had won because of Brexit. What will they say if they end up with Corbyn!?)
    If they think about it, the more realistic wish for them in 2015 would be that Cameron had gained several fewer Lib Dem seats. Hung Parliament, with partners weakened but alive. "We've got most of our manifesto, chaps, but sadly the referendum has had to be shelved due to that unutterable bastard Clegg - still, c'est la vie".

I am certain that's what Cameron thinks with hindsight. The moral is to be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

@hansmollman: "Everytime a child says 'I don't believe in fairies' there is a a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead." https://twitter.com/jrmaidment/status/870248643869200384

Said the Remainer. What is this. Is Tory Central office got a bet on the shittest sound bite they can make May say.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    bobajobPB said:

Or something.

Thats more popular than vote Tory and while your at it give them your deeds in case you require Social Care
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Exactly :lol:

Coming back on here to find PBers losing it over YouGov polling and specifically YouGov polling on London :lol:

London is not representative of the country. It's heavily Labour and has been so for sometime. The way some are going on you'd think it was the Midlands.

When the poll comes back showing Labour level in the Midlands is when the PB bowels truly drop.
    Labour ahead in the Midlands/Wales subsample on today's YouGov :D
    Calm down Danny

You know, I know we wake up on 9/6/17 to

TMICIPM increased majority unfortunately
    I know, but it's still fun to enjoy the PBTory panic while it lasts.

Tbh, I'm just demob-happy because, at the beginning of the campaign, I was resigned to the Tories getting a bigger majority than Blair 1997, which thankfully now looks out of bounds (*touches wood*).
    But let's say the Tories push up their majority by 20-30 at the expense of Labour (and the SNP) - it is still going backwards from Miliband. Yet you will be saddled with Corbyn until he decides to depart the stage.

He will have proven to be a loser - a worse loser than Miliband - just not as big a loser as was expected at the outset. The Left will dig in, hunker down. The moderates will continue to be utterly exasperated. How does that move Labour forward?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    bobajobPB said:

Richard

To some extent. Although how does it favour Labour if a Labour PV lead gives the Tories a large seat lead (as we read below)?

Why has it changed?

It depends on exactly where the votes shift. If the Tories started to pick up loads of ex-UKIP votes in Labour seats in those areas where constituency sizes are small, the seat-size disparity could favour the Tories. That looked possible three weeks ago, but probably not now.

Don't forget also that, as well as the disparity of seat size, there's the separate question of votes distribution independent of seat size. That's fair enough, it's not a distortion caused by the seats being unfairly concentrated in some areas. In the past it's tended to favour Labour, but it might not this time if Corbyn piles up votes in particular demographics. It's also a bigger effect than the first, or at least has been in recent elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    RobD said:

Why is Orkney & Shetland expected to declare about 90 minutes later than in 2015?
  • Options

Andrew said:

Now Corbyn comes along and threatens to spend £60 billion out of nowhere and there are no bombs?

60 billion? He's planning to nationalise everything in sight, free tuition fees, cancel student debt, increase spending all over the place, etc etc etc. Spending commitments for 20/30bn are getting tossed around like sweeties.

More like 300bn right there.
    How much does Trident cost?
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    OMG that reminds me of a time I wandered around Short Hills Mall in the US - no prices anywhere in the windows. I didn't even have the courage to go in and ask!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2017

@bobajobPB Yes, people are certainly going off May (rightly so). But she is still more liked than Corbyn, despite his surge. It's London (and probably other safe Labour areas too) where Corbyn is more popular than May, and has been for a very long time.

On the tax, I need assurances that my parents council tax (or whatever it is that replaces it) isn't going to Sky rocket up. We have the garden at the back in terms of 'land', that's it. The house was worth around 172k when we moved in in 2007. House prices have gone up since then, I don't know whether that is relevant to the LVT.

Anyone who has any kind of assets will be a target from a Corbyn gov. It's inevitable and the only way to pay for his ideas.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Have faith in the good sense of the British people. It'll be a majority of 40-60. Right now, they are just pointing out to the PM that they don't like being taken for granted.
  • Options
    The vast majority of people that vote are not exercised by politics generally. They want something for the next five years. Work out what they want and you have your result. It's blindingly obvious what the country wants for the next five years.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SNIP

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

It's London LOL

Plus it's YouGov.

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

I'm not sure you should dismiss it that easily. The swing in London to Labour is pretty sharp. People just don't like Theresa May. Re: where people are campaigning, that, too, can be instructive and was in 2015 when EdM was campaigning in his easiest target.

P.S. I have been looking into the garden tax. It appears to be a land value tax, which is not actually a bad idea. Under the system, land with planning permission which is not being developed would attract a larger tax penalty – which is a useful tool to get developers to build stuff rather than land banking shovel-ready land as a rising asset. The idea that gardens would attract a large tax is completely misleading – unless you have planning permission on them they are very low value!

Just goes to show that you shouldn't believe anything you read in the Tory press – even the once great Telegraph.
    +1. It would be better if they were looking at replacing or reducing some existing taxation at the same time, which of course they won't. But it's more sensible than ramping up tax for high earners, since land cannot leave the country whereas income can. It also has the potential advantage of collecting a contribution from lots of foreign landlords and property owners who currently pay next to nothing.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Boy, is she crap!
    Cornwall Live do like to become the story. Last time she came down we found they didn't know that accreditation was a thing. This time they did better and got to ask 6 questions, only she gave them all robot answers. The writer asks (he thinks, rhetorically) whether this means he is a shit journalist. Um, yes.
  • Options

The vast majority of people that vote are not exercised by politics generally. They want something for the next five years. Work out what they want and you have your result. It's blindingly obvious what the country wants for the next five years.

AV
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Or something.

Thats more popular than vote Tory and while your at it give them your deeds in case you require Social Care
    As you have to now
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

By Monday Aberystwyth will be nearly dead. I can't speak for Lampeter.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

I see England's attempt to win the Champions Trophy is going as well as the Tory general election campaign.

300 is par.
    For Conservative seats in parliament?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Why is Orkney & Shetland expected to declare about 90 minutes later than in 2015?
    Dunno. I'll start crying if Carmichael doesn't hold though.
  • Options

If they are still living there then under present rules the state will not pay a penny, and it won't matter how long ago they made the gift. They will be treated as if they still own it. I've no idea what would happen under the new proposals but I can't see why that would change.

Aged 60 transfer ownership of the house but retain a 20 year leasehold interest with 4 options to extend by 5 years.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Think he came off to a lot of people as a bit of a joke sadly because of this awkward moments, looking like Wallace etc.

He comes across way better now - v good sense of humour, affable especially on Twitter . Did you see him on the Last Leg? He was great on there!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Charles said:

If they are still living there then under present rules the state will not pay a penny, and it won't matter how long ago they made the gift. They will be treated as if they still own it. I've no idea what would happen under the new proposals but I can't see why that would change.

Aged 60 transfer ownership of the house but retain a 20 year leasehold interest with 4 options to extend by 5 years.
    That works if you pay something close to a market rent. And better not let anyone catch you receiving the rent back from the kids!
  • Options

I don't think there has been any discussion of what level the tax would be set at.
    So in a sense your question is unanswerable.

Having said that - the distribution of land in the UK is very unequal. Therefore you would expect a tax to be very progressive - whereas council tax isn't very progressive. If your parents house was worth 172k in 2007 - then it doesn't sound like a massive mansion...

If your parents were the Duke and Duchess of Westminster - then this tax would be a very very bad thing for your finances.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-land-value-tax-manifesto-general-election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-john-mcdonnell-a7738766.html
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

AV
    Not just AV, the best possible AV. And a strong milk marketing board.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

Lampeter only has about six students so is unlikely to have much effect.
  • Options
    http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15322422.Jeremy_Corbyn_to_visit_Pitsea_this_afternoon/

Someone help me here. Why is Corbyn going to Pitsea, Essex? One week before Election day?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

marke09 said:

yes but both terms end this Saturday and most have already gone home
    Anybody know what proportion of students have postal votes? I assume it is not large - especially if they were late in signing up to the register in the first place.
  • Options
    Charles said:

You'd have to pay market rent though wouldn't you?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TudorRose said:

But the Tory vote isn't the problem according to public polling, Con vote is steady, it's the Labour surge (klaxon alert) that is the issue. I don't see how grammars arrests the surge.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Charles said:

The 2014 Care Act extended council powers to recover assets in this way, including allowing them to charge care costs directly to the heirs.

Google 'deprivation of assets'
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

Charles said:

That works if you pay something close to a market rent. And better not let anyone catch you receiving the rent back from the kids!
    And in addition the kids will have to pay tax on the rental income....
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    welsh opinion poll out around 4pm and according to Roger Scully...

Prof Roger Scully Retweeted SharpendITV
    And it's an interesting one!
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

If they think about it, the more realistic wish for them in 2015 would be that Cameron had gained several fewer Lib Dem seats. Hung Parliament, with partners weakened but alive. "We've got most of our manifesto, chaps, but sadly the referendum has had to be shelved due to that unutterable bastard Clegg - still, c'est la vie".

I am certain that's what Cameron thinks with hindsight. The moral is to be careful what you wish for.
    Yes you're right.
  • Options
    llef said:

welsh opinion poll out around 4pm and according to Roger Scully...

Prof Roger Scully Retweeted SharpendITV
    And it's an interesting one!

YouGov :p
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    IanB2 said:

+1. It would be better if they were looking at replacing or reducing some existing taxation at the same time, which of course they won't. But it's more sensible than ramping up tax for high earners, since land cannot leave the country whereas income can. It also has the potential advantage of collecting a contribution from lots of foreign landlords and property owners who currently pay next to nothing.

Could get a bit expensive for most of the supermarkets, water companies, electric companies, and indeed any other company that owns lots of premium land. Of course the second you allow companies any quarter from the new tax you will see all those foreign landlords and property owners incorporate and transfer their holdings to the company. Tricky one.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes you're right.
    That was always my favourite bit. Something that was in both the Conservative and Lib Dem manifestos, but managed to have to be negotiated away for them to form a coalition...
  • Options
    edited June 2017

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15322422.Jeremy_Corbyn_to_visit_Pitsea_this_afternoon/

Someone help me here. Why is Corbyn going to Pitsea, Essex? One week before Election day?

Hah SB&ET CON HOLD
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I don't think there has been any discussion of what level the tax would be set at.
    So in a sense your question is unanswerable.

Having said that - the distribution of land in the UK is very unequal. Therefore you would expect a tax to be very progressive - whereas council tax isn't very progressive. If your parents house was worth 172k in 2007 - then it doesn't sound like a massive mansion...

If your parents were the Duke and Duchess of Westminster - then this tax would be a very very bad thing for your finances.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-land-value-tax-manifesto-general-election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-john-mcdonnell-a7738766.html
    It's not a mansion. Our house is an ex council house. Small house, 3 bed with the bathroom downstairs.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    Alistair said:

TudorRose said:

But the Tory vote isn't the problem according to public polling, Con vote is steady, it's the Labour surge (klaxon alert) that is the issue. I don't see how grammars arrests the surge.
    Grammars are a UKIP policy
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962
    edited June 2017

3 String vests for £1 off the market?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Boy, is she crap!
    Cornwall Live do like to become the story. Last time she came down we found they didn't know that accreditation was a thing. This time they did better and got to ask 6 questions, only she gave them all robot answers. The writer asks (he thinks, rhetorically) whether this means he is a shit journalist. Um, yes.
    The Brexit question is a total gimme.
    You're in Plymouth, standing next to a group of fishermen.

How do you not say - Brexit will let us take back our fishing rights and we can get a better deal for our fishing industry?
  • Options
    It's a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but the line that 'no deal is a bad deal' is a tautology just as 'a bad deal is worse than no deal' is. It's equally bleedin' obvious that 'no deal is a bad deal' applies to the EU27 as well as to us.

One thing the PM has unquestionably got right is her position on this. She wants a good deal, and she's made it very clear what kind of deal she wants. It completely baffles me that anyone thinks that this is a weak point; it's her strongest point, and makes perfect sense. The risks don't lie with the UK's position, but with the EU27's.
This discussion has been closed.