Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What if this latest from YouGov proves to be correct?

Comments

• Options

glw said:

kjohnw said:

I'm beginning to think that Corbyn could win this election as much as I don't want to believe it. This would be the biggest disaster this country has faced since World War II and I don't think that's being pessimistic. My only hope is that when they get to the ballot box next week the British people have good sense to keep Jeremy Corbyn away from the levers of power. This country is at a crossroads which will affect our children and grandchildren and I fear in Corbyn we are about to take a wrong turn which will be an unmitigated disaster for the UK . There has been a marked change in public perception since the tory manifesto launch and opinion seems to be shifting towards Corbyn, the momentum is with him at the moment although the polls and all the underlying statistics would suggest he is definitely going to lose this could turn out to be another polling disaster where the underdog comes through from the outside and takes pole position. doesn't bear thinking about what the consequences of him winning would be but hey Ho what can we do about it if he does. The Tories do not seem to be challenging his manifesto, his record, his past, and his own MPs support for him. it feels like the Tory campaign is frozen and unresponsive and unprepared Lord help us all

I agree with that.

As for challenging Corbyn why the hell the Tories aren't making a bigger deal of Corbyn's parliamentary problems is beyond me. "If his own MPs don't support him, why should you?"
    On balance I far prefer Corbyn to May. She's a humourless and cold automaton.

Both are to a great extent accidental leaders, him due to Margaret Beckett and others nominating him, her due to the chaos after the EU ref.

FFS though, his manifesto is no more left-wing than Harold Wilson's manifestos were. He won four elections, kept us out of a foreign war (Vietnam) and kept the Labour party together over Europe.

John Smith had he lived would have won in 1997 on a right-wing Old Labour manifesto. Still though to the left of Thatcher and Sons.
    There's nothing in Corby's manifesto that would frighten Ted Heath, though Ted would baulk at the draconian trade union laws that Corby wants to keep.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

#Breaking.... 5 times Theresa May was asked to rule out more cuts to our Police. 5 times she refused

You say that as though it's a bad thing.
    I think it is

I think less Police Army Border Force Etc is bad for security

I think her avoiding answering the question is a good thing

For Lab
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

Has a PM ever trashed their reputation during a general election campaign like the way Theresa May has done during this campaign?

It's been almost painful. All the magic that surrounded Theresa when she called the election has been obliterated. The entire exercise has succeeded only in making Jezza look a bit of a star.
    The weird thing about Jezza is that he's box office. People just like him and, even if they hate him, like talking about him. He's a bit like KP coming to the crease – the fanboys and the haters had widely different opinions of him but everyone was glued to the action.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

May is crap, Corbyn is toxic. That's why May wins. But she's going to have one hell of a five years, whatever majority she receives.

Oh god, you said it again. Exactly the same fucking thing. We all know you think this, we all know your reasoning, we heard it the first time, and the 9th time, and the 4,396th time.
    Southam and I have an unspoken non-aggression pact so I won't agree with you, but on the facts, Corbyn is clearly seeming less toxic by the day. I see that in the latest Ipsos-Mori in Scotland he's just 2 points behind May as likely to be the "most capable Prime Minister". May's personal rating has fallen from +16 in September to -27 now, a pretty impressive slump, while Corbyn is up from -27 to -13. Ruth Davidson is also down, from +21 to +5 (vs -2 for Dugdale, up 8), and Sturgeon is down from +14 to -4 (yes, below Dugdale).

We should have elections more often: clearly they do wonders for Labour leaders. :)
    Corbyn has better personal ratings now? Really?
    Wow - that's an enormous change in public opinion.
    Not sure what NP is referring to but the Independent on Sunday reported May still led Corbyn by 22 points in net approval
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Can any Labour campaigner in a marginal come on here and predict a big win? No. Because Cons will eat them for breakfast. I wondered if it was just in the North we are popular, but Baroness Varsey confirmed to me this morning that CCHQ are mystified by the polls. She expects to pick up 2,500 votes to take Wakefield. She is a local so she knows what she's talking about and certainly our returns have sent her away with a spring in her step.

It is nevertheless very hard to canvass anyone aged under 30. Canvassing is a sample biased heavily towards older people, in an election where the age-differences in voting intention have never been greater.
    I think Derby North could be a Lab Gain
    One of the smallest Tory majorities in the country could be a Lab gain.... doesn't sound all that promising. :p
    No its not

TMICIPM 70 majority would be my guess
    Shouldn't that be TICIPM?
    Same thing!!!

EMWNBPM
    Ah, but the old chestnut was EICIPM. :p
    Nice to be remembered for something even if a complete clusterfuck!!

TMICIPM lets hope its 2/2 clusterfucks
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Can any Labour campaigner in a marginal come on here and predict a big win? No. Because Cons will eat them for breakfast. I wondered if it was just in the North we are popular, but Baroness Varsey confirmed to me this morning that CCHQ are mystified by the polls. She expects to pick up 2,500 votes to take Wakefield. She is a local so she knows what she's talking about and certainly our returns have sent her away with a spring in her step.

Plenty of furious Cons remainers but not sure if they would bring themselves to vote for Jezza.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

murali_s said:

isam said:
    Senior cabinet minister in Labour marginal. Their internal polling cant be that bad?
    We Cons are grinning from ear to ear.
    You guys are going to win despite how crap your leader is. Desperate times for this nation.
    Indeed. A one-eyed landslide in the kingdom of the blind.
    Exactly. In politics as in boxing you don't have to be good, you just have to be better than the other guy. The fact that Mrs May is our Nicola Adams is icing on the cake.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788

Chris said:

That's truly pathetic. FFS get someone in for the Tories who knows what they are doing.
    She's too busy thinking about Brexit to appear in an election debate?
    She's leaving herself open to being mocked as an indecisive neurotic who spends every minute of the day and night worrying about the negotiations.
    I'd rather hope the PM would spend (nearly) every minute worrying about Brexit - apart from national security there is nothing else a bigger worry.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

I actually think the news narrative has been better for Con over the last week.

- First Manchester got security onto the agenda
    - Dementia tax has largely faded into background
    - Sunday Abbott car crash Marr interview
    - Monday Corbyn generally did OK with Paxman but terrible on Falklands and Monarchy may have worried some
    - Tuesday Corbyn not knowing numbers on Womans Hour dominated all news
    - Today Lab won't even try to control immigration

In contrast there hasn't been much specific to remember from May.

Apart from Manchester, a common factor here is that the news is about Corbyn and Labour, every day. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but we can't complain that we're not getting attention - which, excuse the comparison, is what won the US election for Trump.

By contrast, as you say, we struggle to remember any theme pressed by the Tory campaigners in recent days. If you're PM and leading an election campaign, if the most positive thing is that people can't remember anything you've said, it's not very encouraging.

"Vote Tory, it's a mandate for whatever."
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

wills66 said:

Well, in his commentary on the 22 May Welsh Political Barometer poll (the one that showed Labour regaining a lead) he said:

"The first two polls of this campaign showed clear Conservative party leads in Wales, and indicated that the Tories were on course for an historic electoral breakthrough."

..before going on to show how Labour had overtaken the Tories. The use of that "historic" word again would suggest to me that the Tories are back on top in Wales .... or they've collapsed entirely.

WillS.

when is the Wales poll out?
    4pm
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Patrick said:

JackW said:

Patrick said:

May says she won't debate because she is focussing on Brexit.

If you were focussing on Brexit, Mrs My, you wouldn't have called an unneccessary General Election!

That's a cynically duplicitous comment. She saw full well that her majority now is not enough to push a strong negotiation. The forces of Brexit frustration are today just about powerful enough to wreck it. I think she was right to seek to remove that before the hard work starts. What she is clearly hopeless at is the retail side of politics.
    What aspect of BREXIT has the Commons failed to pass? The Prime Minister should be reminded that parliament isn't there to make her position easier at the negotiating table.
    When she has a deal it will need to be approved. The wreckers will then complain about a 'take it or leave it' vote and start pushing for endless edits - essentially undermining the negotiation. And then the lords will, without a manifesto commitment, start playing their games. She needs two things:
    1. Brexit solidly in a manifesto; and
    2. A majority to pass the 'take it or leave it' vote or to support 'just walk'.
    Or we may see the establishment successfully frustrate the referendum vote.
    You seem to think that the Commons is simply a rubber stamp for the executive. Surely one of the campaign narratives of Brexiteers was that our parliament should be sovereign.

So be it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Chris said:

That's truly pathetic. FFS get someone in for the Tories who knows what they are doing.
    She's leaving herself open to being mocked as an indecisive neurotic who spends every minute of the day and night worrying about the negotiations.
    Not a 100% bad thing.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

#Breaking.... 5 times Theresa May was asked to rule out more cuts to our Police. 5 times she refused

You say that as though it's a bad thing.
    I think it is

I think less Police Army Border Force Etc is bad for security

I think her avoiding answering the question is a good thing

For Lab
    Oh, quite possibly. But Theresa May, to give her her due (which someone needs to, given that this site has flipped from absurd over-praise of her to absurd over-criticism of her), is trying to place herself in a position where she can govern well, without being hidebound by pledges which might not be sensible. I appreciate that, for a Labour supporter, that's a novel, indeed alien, concept, but then Labour's not even pretending to want to be a responsible party of government.
  • Options

Chris said:

I'd rather hope the PM would spend (nearly) every minute worrying about Brexit - apart from national security there is nothing else a bigger worry.....
    Pretty stupid to call a GE then that must have distracted her somewhat
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Like who? I'm hoping for a tiny majority so we can get shot of TM and the blukippers till the next time.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Chris said:

Except getting a huge majority in the GE was meant to be a central part of her Brexit strategy. So if she is really focussed on Brexit then she should be focussed on winning the GE. Or maybe she shouldn't have wasted 2 months of everyone's time with this election campaign.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,978

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

May is crap, Corbyn is toxic. That's why May wins. But she's going to have one hell of a five years, whatever majority she receives.

Oh god, you said it again. Exactly the same fucking thing. We all know you think this, we all know your reasoning, we heard it the first time, and the 9th time, and the 4,396th time.
    Southam and I have an unspoken non-aggression pact so I won't agree with you, but on the facts, Corbyn is clearly seeming less toxic by the day. I see that in the latest Ipsos-Mori in Scotland he's just 2 points behind May as likely to be the "most capable Prime Minister". May's personal rating has fallen from +16 in September to -27 now, a pretty impressive slump, while Corbyn is up from -27 to -13. Ruth Davidson is also down, from +21 to +5 (vs -2 for Dugdale, up 8), and Sturgeon is down from +14 to -4 (yes, below Dugdale).

We should have elections more often: clearly they do wonders for Labour leaders. :)
    Not sure what NP is referring to but the Independent on Sunday reported May still led Corbyn by 22 points in net approval
    Yougov have her leading him by 34% in terms of net approval.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Hmm, you're quoting Scottish ratings there...... but you won't get any argument from me on Theresa May.

I've gone from being mildly impressed, and eagerly cheering her on, to alternately pulling out my hair in frustration and mooning her with derision (metaphorically)

She's obviously bad at campaigning, and as for social interaction, she looks like she is on the autistic spectrum to me, or has some personality disorder (I don't mean that unkindly, it's what I genuinely think). Zero sense of humour, zero ability to think on her feet, a gawky, ungainly nervousness, an aversion to anything spontaneous, and a mind-numbing inarticulacy.

All that would - perhaps - be tolerable, if she had brilliant political skills and judgement, sufficient to the task of Brexit. Dementia Tax and WFA-gate suggests the opposite; it also suggests the Juncker judgement of her, at the dinner, was spot on. She's parochial, myopic, and unbending in a bad way. She surrounds herself with a tiny team of idiots.

In retrospect her coronation by the Tories was a profoundly bad decision. She needed to be exposed, so that we could see all this.

So the choice is down to a British version of Trump versus Hillary, except that Corbyn is even more dangerous and extreme than Trump, and May is even more inept and boring than Hillary.

Fab.
    The last person to lead the Tories with a similar disdain for the public was Ted Heath, but I don't think anyone doubted his intellect or vision.

He only won 1 of his 4 elections though, and that by a whisker.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    wills66 said:

Well, in his commentary on the 22 May Welsh Political Barometer poll (the one that showed Labour regaining a lead) he said:

"The first two polls of this campaign showed clear Conservative party leads in Wales, and indicated that the Tories were on course for an historic electoral breakthrough."

..before going on to show how Labour had overtaken the Tories. The use of that "historic" word again would suggest to me that the Tories are back on top in Wales .... or they've collapsed entirely.

WillS.

Prob more likely zero Libs, which is I would assume a first since they were Whigs. Bit of an uptick for Plaid and Ceredigion goes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It is utterly shite. Labour are coming up with some crisp, funny, memorable lines - James Oliver/Oliver Twist, the Lady's Not For Turning Up, etc

The Tories huff and push and huff, like a highly constipated weasel, and then they produce a tiny little turdlet, like this. It's not only dull and offputting it implies Jeremy Corbyn will likely be the next prime minister.

As for the "swapping soundbites" press release, OMFG.

The Tory campaign, already the worst in the history of the visible universe, threatens to get even worse than that, something that will actually contravene the laws of physics.

Post of the day. Bravo. :smiley:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

as for social interaction, she looks like she is on the autistic spectrum to me, or has some personality disorder (I don't mean that unkindly, it's what I genuinely think). Zero sense of humour, zero ability to think on her feet, a gawky, ungainly nervousness, an aversion to anything spontaneous, and a mind-numbing inarticulacy.
    The reports from the Paxman interview were that May interacted with the audience during the commercial break, while Corbyn conferred with Milne, and after the session May went up to the audience to thank them while Corbyn scurried off.....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    SeanT said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

IN SCOTLAND
    Ah... that makes a lot more sense.
    Labour doing better in Scotland is probably bad news since it won't win them seats and suggests they aren't doing so well in England.
  • Options

I'm off out in a sec but re debate. Don't you think her non participation is already priced in? She said from the start she won't do it, the electorate know that.

To a degree. But the narrative of the campaign when she decided not to go was one of dominant, strong and stable PM refuses to waste her time with pygmies. Now it's one of invisible woman, embarrassed by her dementia tax u-turn, hiding from an electorate she hates having to deal with. It plays into the negative vibe.

If she had a bit of steel, she'd turn up at the last moment.
    Another u-turn?
    Corbyn also changed his mind on this, and she could easily make a virtue of it in her opening statement.

"As I said I would, I have been up and down the country, talking to real voters. Many of them have been shocked when I've told them about Labour budgets that blatantly don't add up and would saddle our children with debt for decades, about SNP promises broken in power in Holyrood, and about Lib Dem proposals to turn a blind eye to the drug problems in our cities. They've asked me to do all I can to expose the dishonesty and hypocrisy of other parties to a wider audience, and to put the positive Conservative case for a stronger economy, improved schools and hospitals, and a Brexit that works for Britain. It's because of those conversations with real voters that I'm here, debating with people who've spent their time avoiding the electorate and the real issues. It's the public's priorities and concerns I look forward to talking to you about tonight."
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Scott_P said:
    PB Tories, this is your peppermint tea - chill and relax
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 3 mins3 minutes ago

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (+1)
    LAB: 33% (-1)
    LDEM: 11% (+2)
    UKIP: 4% (-)
    GRN: 3% (-1)

(via @TNS_UK / 25 - 30 May)

SWINGBACK BABY!
  • Options

Chris said:

If she doesn'r rapidly pull her finger out of her arse she won't need to worry about it for much longer...she'll be basking in the glory of pipping IDS as worst Tory leader ever from the backbenches.
  • Options
    I think May has done well

Lovely weather shrinking Tory leads and a bit of rain for the Garden.

8hrs 20 mins to the end of May
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

Scott_P said:
    11% is pretty good for Lib Dems isn't it?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

Yougov have her leading him by 34% in terms of net approval.
    What would the voters know? The experts on here know better - and display remarkable knowledge and penetrating insight for someone they've never met....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It cannot be!

According to the PB commentariat, May is a total muppet, who is losing millions of votes by the hour as the country warms to Mr. Corbyn.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    It's only MOE, as was ICM. In reality, both polls show the Tory lead as stabilising. MOE movements aren't really something to pay attention to.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Press & Journal......Salmond on manoeuvres?
  • Options

SWINGBACK BABY!

Boo spoilsports

TMICIPM 70 Majority
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    11% is pretty good for Lib Dems isn't it?
    Yep, although I wasn't focusing too much on their score. They'll probably poll a bit less than that next week, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2017

SWINGBACK BABY!

This is what I think the final result will be like - all things being equal.

The Tories deserve to lose though - they are mean, twisted and ugly just like their supporters!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited May 2017
    One point on the YouGov mega survey - a lot of it was quite old - it was Mon 22 to Sun 28 May.

So the first day was entirely pre Manchester.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    It cannot be!

According to the PB commentariat, May is a total muppet, who is losing millions of votes by the hour as the country warms to Mr. Corbyn.
    She's beating the worst Labour leader ever in an election called when the political Gods couldn't be smiling on her any more favourably. And not doing it very well. That said ...what a relief.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Scott_P said:
    Phew that has slowed the diarrhea somewhat!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    AS YOU WERE. EVERYONE CALM DOWN

The hysteria on here - and the bilious hatred aimed at the clever, and rather cunning Theresa May is just ridiculous.
    :lol: No self awareness SeanT
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    If you don't want Brexit, vote Jezza...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited May 2017
    At this stage of the 2015 campaign, Cameron was having a bad time, the campaign was lacklustre and the parties were neck and neck.

Result: Tory Majority of 12

Today the Tories remain steadily ahead of Labour and May outpolls Corbyn by a huge margin. There is the same chatter about the leader performance.

Result: ? (well it doesn't take much to guess)
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017

MikeL said:

I actually think the news narrative has been better for Con over the last week.

- First Manchester got security onto the agenda
    - Dementia tax has largely faded into background
    - Sunday Abbott car crash Marr interview
    - Monday Corbyn generally did OK with Paxman but terrible on Falklands and Monarchy may have worried some
    - Tuesday Corbyn not knowing numbers on Womans Hour dominated all news
    - Today Lab won't even try to control immigration

In contrast there hasn't been much specific to remember from May.

Apart from Manchester, a common factor here is that the news is about Corbyn and Labour, every day. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but we can't complain that we're not getting attention - which, excuse the comparison, is what won the US election for Trump.

By contrast, as you say, we struggle to remember any theme pressed by the Tory campaigners in recent days. If you're PM and leading an election campaign, if the most positive thing is that people can't remember anything you've said, it's not very encouraging.

"Vote Tory, it's a mandate for whatever."
    This is so true. The Tory campaign is shite, as most PB Tories seem to agree.

But let's not bother Theresa May. She's too busy "thinking about Brexit" to debate against Labour. A classic case of underestimating the electorate.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    I think we've reached the point where the polls will go up or down a bit for each side, but people have now pretty much made up their minds.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Agreed. One of the biggest surprises of this campaign is just how good Jezza has been in the spotlight. A very impressive campaigner, and very likeable, whether you agree with him or not. I must admitted that I vastly underrated his abilities, having paid no attention to the Labour leadership contest.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

SWINGBACK BABY!

My prediction of 43/34 and TMICIPM looks close
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Plenty of furious Cons remainers but not sure if they would bring themselves to vote for Jezza.
    Where? Not here in the Northern marginals where it matters. Actually not many remainers come to that. I can honestly say the only comments I've had on Brexit on the doorstep is doubts that she will take us out. I feel there's lingering suspicion we'll be dragged back in.
    Other than that we're hoovering up UKIP votes.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Polls are unreliable. see what those on the ground are saying.. far more important.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    MikeL said:

One point on the YouGov mega survey - a lot of it was quite old - it was Mon 22 to Sun 28 May.

Will be interesting to see the updated today.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Certainly has stemmed the flow.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited May 2017
    wills66 said:

WillS.

Maybe its a LibDem surge?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    RobD said:
    This site has become pure lunancy with all the anti May stuff. She is 10 points clear in this poll. At the last election Cameron was only level in the polls and won by 7.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

murali_s said:

SWINGBACK BABY!

Look at that, 11% PLUS 2. Tim has timed the late run to become PM perfectly :o
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I expect that much of the sample for Mon 22 and Tue 23 will have been very bad for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:
    I think we've reached the point where the polls will go up or down a bit for each side, but people have now pretty much made up their minds.
    I'm not sure.

I reckon that (as usual) there will be quite a lot of people telling the pollsters they are going to vote Jezza who either won't show up on the day or will vote Con in the privacy of the polling booth - Enough to have Con 2% higher and Lab 2% lower than whatever the final polls show...
  • Options
    murali_s said:

SWINGBACK BABY!

The Tories deserve to lose though - they are mean, twisted and ugly just like their supporters!
    Ha ha. Unlike Diane Abbot then.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. W, diarrhoea*.
  • Options

wills66 said:

WillS.

Maybe its a LibDem surge?
    Every party to have a surge in at least one welsh poll - will it be Plaid or the Lib Dems turn this time ?
  • Options

Mr. W, diarrhoea*.

Let's call it squits.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Do we know if TNS are part of the "self-declared voting intention" group (like YouGov) or the "historical voting numbers" group?

WillS
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Polls are unreliable. see what those on the ground are saying.. far more important.

Agree.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    It cannot be!

It's a miracle Labour aren't already 10 points ahead of the Tories, given how dreadful May is.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Implies that the polls are unchanged between now and seven days ago?
  • Options

Mr. W, diarrhoea*.

Diarrhea, also spelled diarrhoea, is the condition of having at least three loose or liquid bowel movements each day. It often lasts for a few days and can result in dehydration due to fluid loss.
    Diarrhea - Wikipedia
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Agreed. One of the biggest surprises of this campaign is just how good Jezza has been in the spotlight. A very impressive campaigner, and very likeable, whether you agree with him or not. I must admitted that I vastly underrated his abilities, having paid no attention to the Labour leadership contest.
    I have a feeling the Welsh poll will also be a good one. I am also hoping that his trip to Glasgow will also have helped. Labour was at 19% about a month back. Tories were at 30%.

In London, I think, Labour will gain seats.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Scott_P said:
    So if the tories get more than 344 seats (which I think they will) all this goes in the bin, yes?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    This seems odd - YouGov now 41/38 but seats have moved fractionally to Con?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Jonathan said:

At this stage of the 2015 campaign, Cameron was having a bad time, the campaign was lacklustre and the parties were neck and neck.

Result: Tory Majority of 12

Yep.

Last yougovs before prev election: 34-34 34-34 33-33 34-33 34-33 33-34

Actual result: 38-31

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

SeanT said:

Has Soubry given up in Broxtowe yet?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

SWINGBACK BABY!

Look at that, 11% PLUS 2. Tim has timed the late run to become PM perfectly :o
    Estimated turnout if General Election were to be held tomorrow
    Unweighted: 84%
    Weighted: 64%
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kjohnw said:

Mr. W, diarrhoea*.

Diarrhea, also spelled diarrhoea, is the condition of having at least three loose or liquid bowel movements each day. It often lasts for a few days and can result in dehydration due to fluid loss.
    Diarrhea - Wikipedia
    I think SeanT has three loose bowel movements each day on PB !
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    AS YOU WERE. EVERYONE CALM DOWN

The hysteria on here - and the bilious hatred aimed at the clever, and rather cunning Theresa May is just ridiculous.
    Rofl - where would the PB Tories be without your nerves of steel through the vagaries of psephology.
  • Options
    YouGov have a constituency map here:

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Of course the fact here is that Corbyn has U turned on the debates
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:
    I'm not sure.

I reckon that (as usual) there will be quite a lot of people telling the pollsters they are going to vote Jezza who either won't show up on the day or will vote Con in the privacy of the polling booth - Enough to have Con 2% higher and Lab 2% lower than whatever the final polls show...
    That's in line with Sean_F's point, though. He's just saying that we're broadly at the stage in the campaign where it would take big news to change minds markedly. Whether the methodology of the polls is such that they still consistently underestimate shy Tories is a rather different matter.

The point is that the likelihood is that Corbyn's Labour has had its surge (and it has been a surge - the TNS numbers wouldn't have drawn a sigh of Tory relief three weeks ago), and they're still well short with few undecided people left.

Personally, I tend to agree with that. We are at the stage when, in any campaign, there are many fewer people on the doorstep saying "I haven't really thought" or "the wife and I were just discussing it over dinner, funnily enough". There's more "yes" and more "no" to "will you be supporting us?". The canvassing is very much identify and solidify now.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Yep.

Last yougovs before prev election: 34-34 34-34 33-33 34-33 34-33 33-34

Actual result: 38-31

Thread, as the kids are saying apparently

https://twitter.com/d_g_alexander/status/869868422091468800
  • Options
    MikeL said:

This seems odd - YouGov now 41/38 but seats have moved fractionally to Con?

Presumably, the distribution of votes is slightly better for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That LD range of 3-17 seats is interesting. What do they do if they lose seats at the GE? They might as well throw the towel in. It would be an utter, utter failure.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They need to stop. Bragging about MOE poll movements on a tracker.

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    What a surprise a good Tory poll! But an hour ago it was the worst campaign ever and Corbyn was standing on the steps of Downing Street. Some posters indeed need to stop being frit about everything - that's Theresa May's job :)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Anecdote time: I was at a swanky central London restaurant yesterday (very nice, since you ask). On the table next to us was a group of four men, professionals of some sort, probably in their thirties, enjoying the tasting menu with accompanying flight of wines (£135 a head plus service etc). They were talking about the election, and it was quite revealing. None intended to vote Tory, as far as I could tell. One was being urged by the others to vote Labour; he was thinking of doing so, but was a bit worried about his £750K mortgage. Still, he thought he was being a bit selfish to take that into account.

The lack of even the most vague understanding of what a Corbyn premiership would do to their jobs, taxes, house values, and mortgage costs was absolutely extraordinary; it was an utter disconnect with reality. I fear that Mr £750K mortgage will find out about reality the very hard way if YouGov are right. And these are people who not only must have a hell of a lot to lose, but who, you would have thought, would have a vague understanding of the world.
  • Options

Agree.

Agree.
    midwinter said:

murali_s said:

SWINGBACK BABY!

Ha ha. Unlike Diane Abbot then.
    Tip. To win, just don't be anti-semitic warmongers. It never works.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

I have a feeling the Welsh poll will also be a good one. I am also hoping that his trip to Glasgow will also have helped. Labour was at 19% about a month back. Tories were at 30%.

In London, I think, Labour will gain seats.
    but how would Labour winning Wales constitute an historic night?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

SeanT said:

In England, Corbyn continues to trail May overall by a big number (even though it has narrowed) and among the elderly the margin is huge. That is clearly a drag on Labour. The over 50s remember the 70s and 80s in way that younger generations clearly will not. Corbyn has fought a fine campaign (others around him less so) and has definitely taught moderates an important lesson about not worrying about the right wing press and being positive, but this is a government that can and should have been defeated.

• Options
    @Samfr: YouGov model also has Amber Rudd's seat in Hastings going Labour. So all to play for tonight.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If CCHQ has private polling suggesting otherwise like last time they must be chuffed to bits with this. If not, they are probably in a blind panic.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I hope this will not lead to Yougov going bankrupt. On the other hand, the owner is a Tory.

By the way, I read the Yougov explanatory document. It is not the same 7000 who are polled every day. It is 50000 panellists over a week.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    So if the tories get more than 344 seats (which I think they will) all this goes in the bin, yes?
    I think YouGov goes in the bin.....
  • Options
    clearly aimed to get remainers onboard with Jeremy. They do not want us to leave they need our money
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

It is utterly shite. Labour are coming up with some crisp, funny, memorable lines - James Oliver/Oliver Twist, the Lady's Not For Turning Up, etc

The Tories huff and push and huff, like a highly constipated weasel, and then they produce a tiny little turdlet, like this. It's not only dull and offputting it implies Jeremy Corbyn will likely be the next prime minister.

As for the "swapping soundbites" press release, OMFG.

The Tory campaign, already the worst in the history of the visible universe, threatens to get even worse than that, something that will actually contravene the laws of physics.

Wasn't Carlotta her tutorial partner or something ?
    Can we find out if she has form in 'the college cat ate my essay' type excuses...

Carlotta once regaled us on her with details of

Scott_P said:

Prepare for a whole new meltdown when the Lady Who Is Not For Turning Up memes overnight and it's cut to 2pts*

*The Tories will still win easily but boy this is entertaining. The Labourites on here are largely chipper even though they are, to a man (and woman), certain Labour will lose. A PB Tory put it well – Labour people are always more chipper even when behind, because they vote with their hearts and not with their heads. Some truth in that.
  • Options
    Reality check : Is Copeland honestly likely to head back Labour after being won in a BY-ELECTION ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Samfr: YouGov model also has Amber Rudd's seat in Hastings going Labour. So all to play for tonight.

Do they publish this ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Scott_P said:

YouGov seem to be in the process of trashing their reputation for some reason?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
This discussion has been closed.