Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The jaws of victory. The Conservatives’ faltering campaign

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    Am I going to have to the morning thread on why you shouldn't read too much into sub-samples?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    JonWC said:

JonWC said:

I am not sure the LibDem policy offers anything at all to Leavers or indeed to UK citizens as a whole.

Actually re Brexit. I have no real idea what the LibDems were thinking other than 'fanatical remainers please vote for us' which admittedly has worked in some by-elections but crashed and burned in the locals. At least in the West Country they have p*ssed on their chips for decades to come as a result.

As far as I understand it (I asked one of my former party colleagues and he thrashed around like an anoxic fish to the extent that I wished to throw him back) the vote would be between a first dreadful option of begging to come back into the EU under whatever conditions they wished, and the second dreadful option of whatever deal they would surely offer us if that was the first option.

In what way did the LDs crash and burn in the locals esp in the West Country
    Dorset vote share up 6.5%
    Glos vote share up 7.1%
    Somerset vote share up 4.8%
    Devon vote share up 5.3%
    Cornwall vote share up 7.5%
    Wiltshire vote share up 6.3%
    The way in which they were expecting to gain hatfuls of seats in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset at least and failed to do so. Even they have acknowledged immense disappointment. Now I get the impression they are just going through the motions and would be thrilled to win even a single seat.
    The LibDems trouble with increasing their vote share is that their main opponent is also increasing their share (even more so).
    If the Tories vote share is now decreasing that may be to their advantage.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

Mark Senior predicted this. I am aware that this is a subset.
    Told you so LOL
    Would that mean some Glasgow seats may come into play ?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    That Tory vote share seems quite stable with opinium..
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Cyan said:

Less volatile? Scotland: from SNP 47%, Con 28%, Lab 17% to SNP 46%, Lab 26%, Con 22% in a week: a 7.5% swing from Con to Lab.
    let them have their fun....
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

GIN1138 said:

What other polls are we expecting today?

ComRes, YouGov, Survation, possibly ICM and others...

#MegaPollingSaturday
    Great. It's going to be absurd if the last 3 days of panic was due entirely to having that Yougov poll and nothing else.
    It's more down to a trend of a declining Conservative lead than it is a single poll. YouGov was just the lowest poll lead we've seen for the Conservatives.
    I thought the advice was look at the poll scores and where they are and the lead not so much.

If the Tories are still on mid 40s - well that's about as good as you could hope for I'd had have thought.
    As per the Speccie article, 200 seat majority was about as good as the Conservatives for hoping for in Week One. It's clear expectations are, well, declining somewhat.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday
    Great. It's going to be absurd if the last 3 days of panic was due entirely to having that Yougov poll and nothing else.
    The Tories always have a panic. Its part of the ritual.....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    Cyan said:

Less volatile? Scotland: from SNP 47%, Con 28%, Lab 17% to SNP 46%, Lab 26%, Con 22% in a week: a 7.5% swing from Con to Lab.
    Perhaps you'd like to get equally excited about the Wales sub-sample:

Con 53%
    Lab 30%

Or perhaps we can all accept that placing too much emphasis on small sub-samples isn't a wise idea.

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

Am I going to have to the morning thread on why you shouldn't read too much into sub-samples?

You shouldn't read too much into anything :) But is there a market on the Tories not beating Labour in Scotland?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Told you so LOL
    That has been my hunch. The SLAB to SNP shift was huge in 2015. It wouldn't require a lot of unwinding. I think Glasgow SW is probably the most unionist seat isn't it?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Anyway, we'll see ComRes soon - for all we know they could show an increased Tory lead.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027

Anyway, we'll see ComRes soon - that may show an increased Tory lead!

There's bound to be one!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,622
    RobD said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

FIELDWORK TUES AND WED OF THIS WEEK

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-election-poll-opinium-idUKKBN18N0Q8

It's an older poll, sir, but it checks out. :D
    I shouldn't have come! I'm endangering the mission!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Corbyn is left-wing Trump.

An outsider, the person you vote for when you want to give the establishment a kicking.

Those voting purely on the leader perhaps, so it depends in part on how sophisticated an outsider you are. Many outsiders don't want Keir Starmer i/c Brexit. That would suit the establishment nicely even if Corbyn wouldn't.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday
    It's more down to a trend of a declining Conservative lead than it is a single poll. YouGov was just the lowest poll lead we've seen for the Conservatives.
    I thought the advice was look at the poll scores and where they are and the lead not so much.

If the Tories are still on mid 40s - well that's about as good as you could hope for I'd had have thought.
    As per the Speccie article, 200 seat majority was about as good as the Conservatives for hoping for in Week One. It's clear expectations are, well, declining somewhat.
    At the start of this campaign I said on here I'd be happy with 50 to 60 maj.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Opinium 45 35 7 5
    Leader ratings 45 31
    Fieldwork Tues and weds
    Baxtered majority of 84 (no adjustment for scotland) and Tim Farron leads a party of him only.

How does Baxter calculate the Lib Dem percentage?

Back in 2005, he used to calculate the Con and Lab percentages, and then give whatever was left over to the Lib Dems, if I remember correctly. This was widely discredited.

Has he got any better at it now?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday
    There's never been a campaign where they haven't.

I canvassed for the first time in Sundon Park today, and thought the response was pretty good.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited May 2017
    2nd 3rd is the new 1st !
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    PClipp said:

Opinium 45 35 7 5
    Leader ratings 45 31
    Fieldwork Tues and weds
    Baxtered majority of 84 (no adjustment for scotland) and Tim Farron leads a party of him only.

How does Baxter calculate the Lib Dem percentage?

Back in 2005, he used to calculate the Con and Lab percentages, and then give whatever was left over to the Lib Dems, if I remember correctly. This was widely discredited.

Has he got any better at it now?
    I'm not sure tbh
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:
    Is that Ruth Davidson in the SCon photo? I wonder what would have happened if Sturgeon was outside the SNP stall.
    Where are the RED Tories though ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday

I canvassed for the first time in Sundon Park today, and thought the response was pretty good.
    Who are you campaigning for this time round?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday

The blue Tories I'd imagine.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Tory party member has said this

The "Dementia Tax" is rumoured to be being dropped from the manifesto with a "We listened to you, we'll go back to the consultation" reason.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    F1: pre-race ramble is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/monaco-pre-race-2017.html

I suspect the race will not match the excitement of qualifying, it must be said.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday
    Game over, man! Game over! :lol:
  • Options
    Comes 46 34 8 5
  • Options

Cyan said:

Perhaps you'd like to get equally excited about the Wales sub-sample:

Con 53%
    Lab 30%

Or perhaps we can all accept that placing too much emphasis on small sub-samples isn't a wise idea.

The previous Opinium had a Wales sub-sample of:

Con 43%
    Lab 43%

So that would be a 11.5% swing from Labour to the Conservatives in Wales.

Now lets see who has ramped a sub-sample swing in Scotland but has nothing to say about a sub-sample swing in Wales.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Told you so LOL
    That has been my hunch. The SLAB to SNP shift was huge in 2015. It wouldn't require a lot of unwinding. I think Glasgow SW is probably the most unionist seat isn't it?
    That's only a 6 point changer isn't it?

2015 - SNP 50 Lab 24 diff 26
    2017 - SNP 46 Lab 26 diff 20
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday

Conservative
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That's the last one from before the manifestos, right?

As in, it's the last company that hasn't released a poll since the manifestos :p
  • Options
    So Tories still mid 40s

Lab mid 35s.

Is that where overall?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Con 46 (-2), Lab 34 (+4), LD 8 (-2), UKIP 5 (-), SNP 4 (-), Grn 2 (-1), O 1 (-1) @ComRes for @TheSundayMirror and @Independent
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

GIN1138 said:

#MegaPollingSaturday

At the start of this campaign I said on here I'd be happy with 50 to 60 maj.
    Same here - big enough to get stuff done, small enough to keep them on their toes & remind them of their own political mortality.

A 200 seat majority would be bad news - fat dumb happy and complacent - when the crash came it would be all the harder......
  • Options
    Alistair said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Told you so LOL

A lot depends on how even it is. the swing may well be bigger in more Unionist seats.

Maybe not enough, but which is your view on the most Unionist Glasgow seat?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Told you so LOL

I sincerely hope Scottish Labour are focussing solely on East Lothian. Dugdale definitely mentioned it when I listedned to her.
  • Options
    Interesting, as others have noted, that the Con share hasn't actually changed very much, it's Lab that's surging. False dawn, or the campaigning power of promising free stuff for everyone? Was Miliband's mistake denying rather than embracing his free owl policy?
  • Options

Comes 46 34 8 5

Seems to be Labour gaining the 18-24s and non voters rather than tories falling apart. If i were labour I'd be worried about whether that holds come election day..
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

Probably a Tory majority of about 100, with Labour piling up votes in safe seats.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

425+ Conservative MPs was never realistic.

Don`t you mean 425 Conservative MPs never were realistic?
  • Options
    That poll will settle a few nerves.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So two pretty decent polls so far for Theresa May.
  • Options
    Those will do.
  • Options
    It's probably way too early for the Tories to start relaxing on the back of this evening's Omnium poll.
    Earlier this week I saw that well known Labourite, Greg Dyke, arguing on Sky News for a possible postponement of the GE, although stating there were arguments both ways.
    One of the points he raised was that the murderous outrage in Manchester would inevitably favour the Government in power and seen to be taking action, in this instance the Tories.
    I suspect he is probably right, although such an effect by its nature is likely to be very temporary and may well reverse before polling day in 12 days' time.
    If such an effect existed to the extent of say a 2% swing from Labour to the Tories, then tonight's 10% lead would be reduced to 6%, i.e. much in line with the other most recent polls.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

Probably a Tory majority of about 100, with Labour piling up votes in safe seats.
    You mean like the Tories piling up votes in the East of England and not gaining a single seat.
  • Options
    RobD said:

As in, it's the last company that hasn't released a poll since the manifestos :p
    Yes, of regular pollsters.

By the way you need to add the SurveyMonkey poll to your spreadsheet.
  • Options
    Tories averaging 45.5% in tonight's polls so far.

Nick Timothy = Master Strategist.
  • Options
    Rentoul states if undecideds are reallocated according to choice of best PM it's 48 to 33
  • Options

So two pretty decent polls so far for Theresa May.

Perhaps the nation has had a serious think about whether it wants to be governed by someone who believes Venezuela is an economic model to follow.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

You mean like the Tories piling up votes in the East of England and not gaining a single seat.
    I expect the Tory vote to flatline or drop slightly in a lot of their safe seats around Cambridge and Norwich.
  • Options
    From the ComRes email

Alarmingly perhaps for Theresa May, among C1s, C2s and DEs more think Jeremy Corbyn and Labour than think the Conservatives have the best policies.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

I expect the Tory vote to flatline or drop slightly in a lot of their safe seats around Cambridge and Norwich.
    Norwich South I certainly think will see an increased majority for Lewis
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

I'm afraid Lamb looks very much for the chop based on these numbers.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A generous assessment of his skills.
  • Options

It's probably way too early for the Tories to start relaxing on the back of this evening's Omnium poll.
    Earlier this week I saw that well known Labourite, Greg Dyke, arguing on Sky News for a possible postponement of the GE, although stating there were arguments both ways.
    One of the points he raised was that the murderous outrage in Manchester would inevitably favour the Government in power and seen to be taking action, in this instance the Tories.
    I suspect he is probably right, although such an effect by its nature is likely to be very temporary and may well reverse before polling day in 12 days' time.
    If such an effect existed to the extent of say a 2% swing from Labour to the Tories, then tonight's 10% lead would be reduced to 6%, i.e. much in line with the other most recent polls.

Stop the world I want to have an election.

What would he suggest if there's another attack on something else which might affect an election when the postponed election then takes place ? Another postponement perhaps ?

It would certainly be a way for an unpopular and unscrupulous government to remain in power.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

It's been appearing and disappearing from the wiki list. Also, not sure what I should do in terms of SNP/GRN figures.

BTW - any idea of the fieldwork dates for ComRes?
  • Options

From the ComRes email

Alarmingly perhaps for Theresa May, among C1s, C2s and DEs more think Jeremy Corbyn and Labour than think the Conservatives have the best policies.

May is in for a hell of time after June 9th. Only gets worse from there on....
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

I want to believe not. I say that as an approved pbTory™
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

It's been appearing and disappearing from the wiki list. Also, not sure what I should do in terms of SNP/GRN figures.

Weds to Fri
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

Much of Leaverstan was Shire England with Tories in first place and UKIP in second.

It may well be in such a polarised election that both sides are less efficient in their vote, with few close calls either way.
  • Options

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Weds to Fri
    Cheers!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Interesting, as others have noted, that the Con share hasn't actually changed very much, it's Lab that's surging. False dawn, or the campaigning power of promising free stuff for everyone? Was Miliband's mistake denying rather than embracing his free owl policy?

Milliband was serious about government.
  • Options
    Poster count on my delivery round for Nick in Totley - Labour 2; Others Nil.

On the road up a few diamonds and some Tory boards. & lots of support for Blomfeld seemingly in Central.
  • Options
    Disaster rarely comes from things you don't know but from things you are sure of but wrong.

Nick Timothy looks like he's a person who is sure of many things.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2017
    The trend is still going south for the Tories. It probably won't reverse until they come out with something positively received
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

From the ComRes email

May is in for a hell of time after June 9th. Only gets worse from there on....

The ComRes makrs clear the Tories are winning largely because of Corbyn. May has made big promises about Brexit and she will be judged on whether she delivers them. If I were a Tory that would give me plenty of food for thought - especially if Labour does poll in the low to mid 30s.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Already in ELBOW!

including ComRes and Opinium as well:

Con 44.0
    Lab 35.4
    LD 8.0
    UKIP 4.6

average Kantar/YG/SurveyMonkey/ComRes/Opinium Tory lead = 8.6%
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    PClipp said:

425+ Conservative MPs was never realistic.

Don`t you mean 425 Conservative MPs never were realistic?
    I don't think it's true.

If I'd been charged with putting together the Conservative manifesto I'd have called it "Implementing Brexit", explained that Brexit was going to be the main business of government for the coming Parliament (which has the merit of being true) and the rest would be care and maintenance only this time round (plus lots of money for the NHS). No need to have distracting policies.

The voters Theresa May wanted weren't thinking about dementia till she told them to.

Less is more.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Andrew Hawkins‏ @Andrew_ComRes · 2m2 minutes ago

When DKs are reallocated by 'best PM' ratings, and not the party voters ID with most, tonight's @ComRes Tory lead widens to 15 pts
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    I really hope we don't have herding in the final call polls. We could learn a lot from seeing which methodologies work and which don't.
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, he's dumb as a post. It was obviously the sort of policy that needs to be made bulletproof, but it was more like charging into battle with a shield made of cheese.

Mr. Matt, as I said before, a May versus Miliband contest would be interesting. And probably going quite differently.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Someone wrongly deleted it from Wiki - it's back on now.

I would include it but leave SNP/GRN figures blank.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Rentoul states if undecideds are reallocated according to choice of best PM it's 48 to 33

And they will reallocate that way if polls show Corbyn has a chance of winning.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    So far, so good, but Theresa May and the Tories must sharpen up their act. Should also focus on the economy in addition to all the security related controversies. I hope Lyndon Crosby has assumed total control of the campaign, as he did in 2015, and the wretched Timothy despatched to win Bootle. It is not inconceivable that by polling day, the lead will be back to the mid teens....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

Dementia tax and mental health are ideal policies for him. I think he is safe.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

They'll gain Clacton and maybe Norfolk North and Luton South.

But think of all the increase in Labour votes in the East of England and they will gain nothing and possibly lose Luton South and Cambridge.
  • Options
    Watching Arsenal waste all these chances is painful.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The Con share hasn't changed since the start of the campaign with Opinium. Labour up at the expense of the LDs and UKIP:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/868508385121107973
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Tory vote share does seem to be within the 42% to 46% range. Labour I think were always going to increase vote share as expectations so low (and a populist giveaway manifesto)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Someone wrongly deleted it from Wiki - it's back on now.

I would include it but leave SNP/GRN figures blank.
    I split it 5/2/2, which I think is reasonable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    AndyJS said:

Cruel! :D
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    From the Labour party point of view the polls so far still indicate an upward trajectory in terms of vote share.It was always going to be a big ask to topple a 1-16 favourite.There remains encouragement that the Supreme Leader's vote share is weak and wobbly.She really is prone to anxiety and potential further panic attacks as evidenced by the Dementia Tax and that attack on the self-employed and seems likely to me to be increasingly seen as less strong and stable and more weak and wobbly.
    Labour should focus on its strengths as identified in Com Res as better able to protect old people in targetted messaging rather than get sidetracked in throwing back the bucket loads of horse manure the evil thieving Tories will throw at it.
    There needs to be a higher focus on Labour education policy.Com Res shows both Labour and the Tories are level-pegging.With school funding being a massive issue,Labour should be doing much better and needs to sell its education policies better.Angela Rayner has a big job on.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

Unfortunately for Norman Lamb, and fortunately for Kate Hoey politics doesn't quite work like that.
    Vauxhall still the biggest odds on rick of the election tbh.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Opinium

Con 45 (-1) Lab 35 (+2)

Lamb is very lucky with the way the national campaigns have gone.

I'm not sure improved poll ratings for the LD's - and renewed national media focus on Farron's campaign/manifesto would actually help him, tbh.

North Norfolk shouldn't be a toss up, but it probably is.
  • Options
    Sporting Index have again suspended their GE spread markets, I doubt they'll re-open until sometime tomorrow morning if you're lucky .... quelle surprise!
    The funny thing is that last time around in 2015, it was Spreadex who were were always running scared and closing their markets and Sporting who usually stayed open ..... a complete reversal - I wonder if there has been a swap in their respective personnel?

For what it's worth, thus far there has been little movement with the current spreads being as follows:

Spreadex
    Con .......... 375 - 381
    Lab ........... 182 - 188
    LibDem ....... 14 - 17

IG
    Con .......... 378 - 384
    Lab ........... 178 - 183
    LibDems ....12.5 - 15
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HaroldO said:

Jason said:

Corbyn's apologists say his associations with the IRA are already factored in. Possible. However, he was caught telling an outright lie -

https://order-order.com/2017/05/27/iain-dale-reads-guidos-corbyn-ira-list-diane-abbott/

The 'man of principle' suddenly becomes a squirming liar under forensic cross examination. That will harm Corbyn.

Yep, it's not the IRA talks that is the big problem it is now the fibbing about it.

Getting a politician to squirm is what interviewers live for, they got May on the care costs and now they have a new target.
    I am not sure the Tories can get far by calling Corbyn a liar when everyone now nows that Theresa may has a compulsive aversion to telling truth as revealed by her decision to call the election!
This discussion has been closed.