Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The jaws of victory. The Conservatives’ faltering campaign

Comments

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Chris said:

"On the other side of the fence, Theresa May needs urgently to remind the public what she considers to be her USP for this election."

In the words of Alastair Sim in The Happiest Days of Your Life - can't you see she's trying to think of one?

To differentiate herself from Corbyn, May should pitch up wearing a bowler hat and singing The Sash.
    Or do a Paul Gascoigne and play the flute at Ibrox.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698

I knew he was tall, but just how fecking tall is Daniel Kawczynski

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/868462183973355521

Ha, blocked.
    Don't remember ever interacting with him, but no doubt it would have been a tribute to his sterling (geddit) efforts to encourage UK-Saudi relations.
    I'm still proud of my blocking by Dan Hannan when he said Vote Leave had never raised immigration during the EU ref campaign.
    LOL he really said that?

I missed out a word from my original post.

Vote Leave had never focused/raised immigration much during the the campaign.
  • Options
    Thorpe_BayThorpe_Bay Posts: 47

Freggles said:

Question for voters
    Do you support Open borders? No
    Well you can't vote for Theresa May as she was home secretary for 7 years and failed to control immigration.

And I get told I'm not a Conservative. Look in the mirror and just say "I'm voting for someone who for 7 years has left our countries borders open and done nothing about it. Yes she calls herself a Conservative.

What is Conservative about open borders and letting anyone in?

If you're going to astroturf, at least get your facts right.

She was Home Secretary for six years.
    It's hilarious how many posters pop out of the woodwork at election time.

If you can't take PB when it's mid term AV discussions, you don't deserve it three weeks out from a snap GE
    The funny thing is, it's not like many PBers are going to change their vote.

Much like the Clinton bot that turned up, IIRC there are only two PBers who have an actual vote in American elections.
    I'm not asking anyone to change their vote.

I'm asking people how they can call themselves a conservative and vote for may based on her record.

I haven't stated anything fiction.
  • Options
    If tony bliar was a member of the conservative party, I'm sure many of you would have the same views you have for theresa may.

vote conservative no matter the policy.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

If tony bliar was a member of the conservative party, I'm sure many of you would have the same views you have for theresa may.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    edited May 2017

Ha, blocked.
    Don't remember ever interacting with him, but no doubt it would have been a tribute to his sterling (geddit) efforts to encourage UK-Saudi relations.
    I'm still proud of my blocking by Dan Hannan when he said Vote Leave had never raised immigration during the EU ref campaign.
    LOL he really said that?

If they hadn't we'd be halfway through Cameron's second term, safe and sound inside the EU

The Hannans and Carswells of this world like to think they won without having to dirty themselves in immigration
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Ha, blocked.
    LOL he really said that?

Well, I'm still side-eyeing that claim by him.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited May 2017

This was posted earlier, but...

https://order-order.com/2017/05/27/iain-dale-reads-guidos-corbyn-ira-list-diane-abbott/

The thing that made me really pay attention was the petulant sigh at 0:53 in sheer disbelief that anyone would question the lie.

Remarkably, Corbyn's apologists are mocking me for going on about his associations with terrorists, and then trying to squirm his way out of what he said and did.

What they are not doing, however, is condeming Mr Corbyn, who is, afterall, the very individual who is being exposed.

It tells you something about the morality and indeed the mentality of his supporters. I freely admit May royally cocked up the manifesto and has led an awful election campaign. I am no May apologist.

On the other hand, Corbyn's apologists cannot even condemn him for siding with a cause which murdered women and children.

Go figure.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Yorkcity said:

Jason said:

marke09 said:

Corbyn getting a lot of TV coverage inthe next few days - heis on Peston on Sunday, The Channel4/SKY News debate onMonday and The One SHow on Tuesday

...and only the snippets about his IRA associations will be shown on the main news on the BBC and ITV. He's made it a story by lying to Andrew Neil.

He could not bring himself to condemn the IRA, because it would have meant condemning himself. Lying about it is even worse.

Can you tell us again Jason ? As many on here can not get your gist.
    Lol
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    May's first public election commitment - before the manifesto was even launched - was to maintain the 0.7% spend on foreign aid. A commitment that doesn't win over a single left-wing voter but alienates right-wing ones.

She needs a populist "wow" moment - announce a direct transfer of 10 billion from foreign aid to literally anything else that's necessary and popular, e.g. social care, the NHS, the police.

The left will froth, the right will cheer, middle England will secretly love the freebie. It would completely change the dynamic of the narrative. Now it's the Tories with a big giveaway to the British people, now it's May who's imaginative and can think on the hoof. Let Corbyn argue for borrowing to fund the rest of the world instead of our services.

Will we get it? No sodding chance.

p.s. CCHQ - if you're reading this, just fucking do it - or go back to your constituencies and prepare for unemployment!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That's nice to see
  • Options

Oh dear.
    Supported remain
    Supported open borders
    Supported removal of Saddam and Gaddafi
    Supported endless money into the NHS
    Supported cutting number of police officers on our streets.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Freggles said:

MikeL said:

Inserting Con 42, Lab 39, LD 9, UKIP 2, Green 2 into Baxter gives a Con majority of 4.

This seems very surprising given that a lead of 6.6% in 2015 only gave a majority of 12 - it implies Con would only lose a net 4 seats.

Can anyone explain this?

Can anyone give an objective analysis of whether it's likely to be right or wrong (ie not just Con supporters saying it's right and Lab supporters saying it's wrong).

My expectation would be that a left wing candidate is more likely to pile up votes in traditionally strong Labour areas and be vulnerable in marginal seats, which would make the Tory vote more efficient by comparison. But what do I know.
    Thanks - that's a reasonable hypothesis that may well be true, although it's also entirely possible it might not be.

However I don't think it explains the Baxter result - my understanding is that his is purely a mathematical model so I don't think it would make any adjustment for your type of hypothesis.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Oh dear.
    Supported remain
    Supported open borders
    What are you trying to say?
  • Options

Oh dear.
    "Bliar"
  • Options

Oh dear.
    Cheer him up, tell him as a lifelong Tory, you're not voting Tory at the general election

(Just don't mention there's no Tory candidate in your seat)
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Serious question: are there any Tories who think it would be better for their party to go into opposition for a while?

It is never better for a party to go into opposition - sometimes unavoidable but never better.

I think we are beginning to smell a whiff of the Tories biggest problem in 2021/2 - time for a change. That could have been a problem in 2020. If it doesn't develop then assuming a victory this year, good prospects for 2021. Bad prospects for 2022 as would mean an election had been ducked the year before.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

May's first public election commitment - before the manifesto was even launched - was to maintain the 0.7% spend on foreign aid. A commitment that doesn't win over a single left-wing voter but alienates right-wing ones.

She needs a populist "wow" moment - announce a direct transfer of 10 billion from foreign aid to literally anything else that's necessary and popular, e.g. social care, the NHS, the police.

The left will froth, the right will cheer, middle England will secretly love the freebie. It would completely change the dynamic of the narrative. Now it's the Tories with a big giveaway to the British people, now it's May who's imaginative and can think on the hoof. Let Corbyn argue for borrowing to fund the rest of the world instead of our services.

p.s. CCHQ - if you're reading this, just fucking do it - or go back to your constituencies and prepare for unemployment!

How about sack theresa may and make boris or michael gove leader at least they supported leave and want closed borders.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,520
    Not entirely convinced 330 is enough. Can't believe I have just written that. ODI cricket has really moved on.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

Three massive hospitals in my town have been closed this century, they could easily have been care homes for the elderly, one practically was!

Indeed the council workhouse hospitals had just that purpose. The Leicester General Hospital was one. The NHS took control of these but now turns away the frail elderly and insists they self fund.

We have considerably fewer hospital beds per head of population than similar countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_hospital_beds
  • Options

Oh dear.
    Supported remain
    Supported open borders
    no difference between theresa may and tony blair just parties.

if you hate blair you must hate may. they stand for the same things. I hate both.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    The Conquerors of Libya and Vanquishers of Gaddafi looking well, happy and rich.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not entirely convinced 330 is enough. Can't believe I have just written that. ODI cricket has really moved on.

You know what makes me really sad.

The number of times England have scored 300 plus since the 2015 world cup.
  • Options
    Imagine the human being that for their record has a voting history of Blair, Cameron, Cameron, May.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578
    MikeL said:

Inserting Con 42, Lab 39, LD 9, UKIP 2, Green 2 into Baxter gives a Con majority of 4.

This seems very surprising given that a lead of 6.6% in 2015 only gave a majority of 12 - it implies Con would only lose a net 4 seats.

Can anyone explain this?

Can anyone give an objective analysis of whether it's likely to be right or wrong (ie not just Con supporters saying it's right and Lab supporters saying it's wrong).

I think it is this:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/electoral-bias-in-the-uk-after-the-2015-general-election/
  • Options
    The Queen didn't lie about shaking hands with Martin McGuinness. And she sure as hell didn't do it because she wanted to. The IRA murdered her husband's uncle, ffs.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Jason said:

I wonder if his advisers have told him to stick with the 'I thought they were acting on behalf of Sinn Fein, honest I did, gov, I did it all for peace, honest'.

Corbyn's chickens have come home to roost. Finally.

They must have. You're counting them :)

The Guido list includes meetings that took place after 2005, when the IRA got rid of all its weapons. Remember that both Adams and McGuinness had been in the IRA. Does it matter? Ask the monarch. Throughout the peace process the British government's position was that it was meeting with, ahem, Sinn Fein. They always pretended they weren't meeting directly with anyone in the IRA. Exactly the same pretence was kept up by the IRA itself.

Only the pre-2005 contacts are worth considering. If former IRA men since the dissolution of the IRA as an armed organisation want to commemorate Bloody Sunday, it is not unlawful for them to do so. Take the 1984 meeting, when Jeremy Corbyn invited Linda Quigley and Gerard MacLochlainn to the Houses of Parliament. If they were known at that time to be members of the IRA, a proscribed organisation, why weren't they arrested?

MacLochlainn had been convicted of an explosives conspiracy charge in 1981, and presumably he had been in the IRA then. But in 1984 he was Sinn Fein's representative in London.

The issue of course is that Corbyn may have lied.

The pretence in British politics for decades has been that the PIRA and Provisional Sinn Fein were separate organisations. This goes to British decolonisation theory where you keep control of a country by getting the politicos on your side and then they help you by keeping their military in check. Corbyn was working within that pretence. He didn't go to meetings where the IRA gangsters fired off their weapons in salutes; he met "Irish Republicans" for political discussions, one politician to another. Sure, there was hypocrisy. Big deal. There was a peace settlement and the troubles stopped. If you really think about it, Britgov must have welcomed links between a few Labour politicians and Sinn Fein.

This may damage Corbyn a little bit, but it's increasingly looking like all the Tories have got. Give up social care, let your children get into big tuition-fee debt, let them pay rent to private landlords all their lives, just because a Labour leader in his late 60s met with Sinn Fein politicians 30 years ago, and some of them had previously been in the IRA? Millions of British people don't care much about Brexit and they don't care much about Irish stuff from 30 years ago either.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    DavidL said:

At first I thought "yeah, only a majority of 10"...
  • Options

Oh dear.
    Cheer him up, tell him as a lifelong Tory, you're not voting Tory at the general election

For the second General Election in a row I will not be voting Tory.

Third time this millenium too.....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Bay, you're assigning moral condemnation to people who vote a way you dislike?
  • Options
    calum said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

BA cancel all flights before 6pm from Heathrow and Gatwick

On late Spring Bank Holiday weekend; there must be chaos at the airports.

BA still tight lipped as to whether it's a system failure or a cyber attack.
    Sky reporting chaos and, somewhat distastefully, carnage
    They are no saying there is no evidence of cyber attack
    https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/868442606543523840
    I don't think a Daily Mail story counts as evidence! Even Wikipedia doesn't accept that nowadays. Last week the DM ran a whole story based on a fake tweet.
  • Options

Oh dear.
    Supported remain
    Supported open borders

if you hate blair you must hate may. they stand for the same things. I hate both.
    Tony Blair achieved more for the working class than any Labour leader who never won an election.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Why all this angst from Tories when Lord Ashcroft polls showing a majority of 142 ?

A long time ago I used to do Maths questions - for Exams etc. The angst is that the analysis offered by his grace seems to be essentially correct but the reality will always be that there might be some 1=2 errors in the working which we haven't noticed. Lord Ashcroft also has a track record of not getting these things right.

No campaign is ever perfect and I don't mean that as an understatement. They can veer off in the weirdest directions for little logical reason. For instance the social services policy, vilified a week ago is now seen to have some merit. BUT it was at Green Paper level and that was never / could never be explained.

I don't like the one person campaign myself - just reinforces the Spitting Image thing about Mrs T and the vegetables - at least the vegetables had names !

There is obviously a very wide margin for the possible majority and I think 136 is about the maximum reasonable expectation. But for me the key is 90 because that is where I think Westmorland swings Tory.
    My gut reaction is a 15O Maj for the conservatives. I always thought leaders for the three main parties were usually safe in England due to their high profile national media exposure.Maybe from what you are saying not in this case in Westmorland.
  • Options
    Jason said:

The Queen didn't lie about shaking hands with Martin McGuinness. And she sure as hell didn't do it because she wanted to. The IRA murdered her husband's uncle, ffs.
    That's kinda my point, if she can move on from it, so might the country.
  • Options

Oh dear.

Third election in a row surely?
  • Options
    If you need your irony meters calibrating

https://twitter.com/AngrySalmond/status/868218891809562624
  • Options

DavidL said:

At first I thought "yeah, only a majority of 10"...
    Lol. The way things are going that may not be far off the mark.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Can anyone explain this?

I think it is this:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/electoral-bias-in-the-uk-after-the-2015-general-election/
    Thanks - but that's just explaining the "bias" as at GE 2015.

For the Baxter result to be correct (ie Con Majority of 4 on 42/39) it implies that the bias would have to have moved MORE in favour of Con between 2015 and 2017.

I don't think the article addresses such a proposition.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    blueblue said:

Bring back the death penalty. Bring back the birch. Bring back national service. Send back the foreigners. Lock up the queers.

It's hardly rocket science.
  • Options

Oh dear.

Bloody hell - it is as well. So 4 times in 17 years in a GE, I haven't voted Tory... or put another way only once this millenium have I voted Tory in a GE.

They'll throw me out!

• Options

Oh dear.

Bloody hell - it is as well. So 4 times in 17 years in a GE, I haven't voted Tory... or put another way only once this millenium have I voted Tory in a GE.

They'll throw me out!

And to think David Cameron was Tory leader for nearly eleven years of this millennium.

So which Tory didn't get your vote this millennium
  • Options

blueblue said:

How about sack theresa may and make boris or michael gove leader at least they supported leave and want closed borders.

I thought Boris was pro Immigration , well he was when London Mayor. Thought he supported an amnesty on illegal immigrants ?
  • Options
    I'm shocked the Conservatives aren't fielding a candidate in a constituency. I would have thought the main two parties would be fielding candidates in all the 600+ constituencies.
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

And to think David Cameron was Tory leader for nearly eleven years of this millennium.

Can't you guess?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    IanB2 said:

calum said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think a Daily Mail story counts as evidence! Even Wikipedia doesn't accept that nowadays. Last week the DM ran a whole story based on a fake tweet.
    Fliers said captain and gate staff at Gatwick believe it could be a cyber attack

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4547442/British-Airways-apologise-customers-facing-delays.html#ixzz4iHy1gO8h
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Jason said:

That's kinda my point, if she can move on from it, so might the country.
    You and the others can hand wring to your hearts content. I'm just glad that his cynical pretence that he did it for peace and that his blatant lie about not meeting them will now get out there into the public consciousness.

If the public do want him as PM after all of this, then your theory will have been proved correct.
  • Options
    F1: weird odds. Ladbrokes has winning car Ferrari at 1.04.

But Vettel is 1.9 and Raikkonen 2.1 to win. I think the decimal place on the first bet is not in the correct position.

Markets still coming through. Mostly not tempting, there is one I'll give a second look at.
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

Can't you guess?
    John Bercow in 2005? Please say it is that!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Can anyone explain this?

I think it is this:

For the Baxter result to be correct (ie Con Majority of 4 on 42/39) it implies that the bias would have to have moved MORE in favour of Con between 2015 and 2017.

Scotland?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'm shocked the Conservatives aren't fielding a candidate in a constituency. I would have thought the main two parties would be fielding candidates in all the 600+ constituencies.

Recent convention is that none of Con/Lab/LDs stand in the Speaker's seat.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

calum said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Fliers said captain and gate staff at Gatwick believe it could be a cyber attack

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4547442/British-Airways-apologise-customers-facing-delays.html#ixzz4iHy1gO8h
    So the Daily Mail says that some random passengers said that staff whose job it is putting tickets into a machine said that it *could* be a cyber attack?

It could indeed be a cyber attack. But that isn't a story.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

Can't you guess?
    Nope - living somewhere else then.... it was 2001, all that 24 hours to say the pound rubbish and the baseball cap champ. My short-lived 'Yellow' period.
  • Options

Other than Buckingham?
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

Can't you guess?
    Nope - living somewhere else then.... it was 2001, all that 24 hours to say the pound rubbish and the baseball cap champ. The short-lived 'Yellow' period.
    Understandable.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Why all this angst from Tories when Lord Ashcroft polls showing a majority of 142 ?

A long time ago I used to do Maths questions - for Exams etc. The angst is that the analysis offered by his grace seems to be essentially correct but the reality will always be that there might be some 1=2 errors in the working which we haven't noticed. Lord Ashcroft also has a track record of not getting these things right.

No campaign is ever perfect and I don't mean that as an understatement. They can veer off in the weirdest directions for little logical reason. For instance the social services policy, vilified a week ago is now seen to have some merit. BUT it was at Green Paper level and that was never / could never be explained.

I don't like the one person campaign myself - just reinforces the Spitting Image thing about Mrs T and the vegetables - at least the vegetables had names !

There is obviously a very wide margin for the possible majority and I think 136 is about the maximum reasonable expectation. But for me the key is 90 because that is where I think Westmorland swings Tory.
    My gut reaction is a 15O Maj for the conservatives. I always thought leaders for the three main parties were usually safe in England due to their high profile national media exposure.Maybe from what you are saying not in this case in Westmorland.
    Tim Farron has been able to say one thing in one street and another in another. But when he opposes Brexit on TV they all see it - even the proles have TVs now. He would be safe as houses if he wasn't party leader.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Chris said:

blueblue said:

Bring back the death penalty. Bring back the birch. Bring back national service. Send back the foreigners. Lock up the queers.

I like my idea better!
  • Options

Recent convention is that none of Con/Lab/LDs stand in the Speaker's seat.
    Thanks that for that info.

I wonder if the other MPs are a bit jealous of Bercow then?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Tim Farron has been able to say one thing in one street and another in another. But when he opposes Brexit on TV they all see it - even the proles have TVs now. He would be safe as houses if he wasn't party leader.
    Oh and his agent objects to Conservative national material being distributed in W&L because it has a photo of his Timness in it - so, they don't think it is an advantage.
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

THe REAL sotto voce test for "soundness" is did you vote Tory in 1997 ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited May 2017

F1: weird odds. Ladbrokes has winning car Ferrari at 1.04.

But Vettel is 1.9 and Raikkonen 2.1 to win. I think the decimal place on the first bet is not in the correct position.

Markets still coming through. Mostly not tempting, there is one I'll give a second look at.

I think your maths is dodgy. Vettel @1.9 and Raikkonen @2.1 doesn't leave much room in the market for non-Ferraris.
  • Options
    Mr. Alex, you may be right. I still think it's a daft bet. [I do seem to have developed an odd blind spot in that area, I got something else wrong earlier].

Anyway, at least the tiny sum I backed Raikkonen with has now been hedged.
  • Options

MikeL said:

IanB2 said:

MikeL said:

Can anyone explain this?

I think it is this:

Scotland?
    No - I didn't input anything special re Scotland so the model still gave 55 SNP seats (down just one).

I appreciate that's likely to be wrong - but never mind - it's not relevant to my question - as the model gives the majority without any help from Scotland.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    I wonder whether the spread-betting firms' markets will remain open tonight? There could be some chunky adjustments to the spreads should the Tory lead lead move outside a range of around 5% - 9%.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    I wonder whether the spread-betting firms' markets will remain open tonight? There could be some chunky adjustments to the spreads should the Tory lead lead move outside a range of around 5% - 9%.
    When do the taster tweets normally start appearing?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think the average of tonight's polls will be something like Con 45%, Lab 33%, LD 12%, UKIP 3%, Greens 2%.
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

Oh yes....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

marke09 said:

SophyRidge On Sunday‏Verified account @RidgeOnSunday 8m8 minutes ago

4 Scottish leaders on the show tmrw LIVE in Glasgow. If @British_Airways can't fix its PCs, one of them might have to be presenter... #Ridge

Sophy needs to book herself a berth on the sleeper. Perhaps Sunil could give her some tips?

(Auto correct just changed Sophy to 'so physical'!)
    I don't do sleepers. Due to my ubergeekery, I like to do my rail routes in daylight. Hope to do Skipton to Carlisle (via Settle) next week, and Northallerton to Sunderland. And the rare route Knottingley to Goole (one train a day in that direction!).
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Chris said:

blueblue said:

I like my idea better!
    Bring back grammar schools.
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

Oh yes....
    See we we're real Tories.

We never succumbed to Blair's charm.

So glad the party has moved on from 1997 and the obsession with Europe.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

It's not just Lord Ashcroft. ElectoralCalculus, Stephen Fisher and SportingIndex are all predicting Tory majorities of at least 100 seats.
  • Options
    Mr. Bay, are you the same chap who said earlier today "I'm a Conservative"?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Oh dear.
    Supported remain
    Supported open borders

In two weeks time there is a General Election which is not asking you to chose your prefered leader for the Conservative Party, it is in effect asking you a binary question:

Do you want the country to be run by May or Corbyn for the next five years.

As a supposed conservative think carefully before answering, it's a tough one I know.
  • Options

and Northallerton to Sunderland.

My condolences.
  • Options
    that interview might be the PBred's equivalent of this previously undiscovered and little known article here on PB.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Guru Murphy's setting up of Fallon for the ambush was despicable. No wonder journalists are held in such low regard.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010
    edited May 2017

Yorkcity said:

The latest Ashcroft model has Tory/LD/Lab shares for Richmond Park as 50%/32%/17%.

This one prediction alone destroys the credibility of his model. He is clearly ignoring the tactical vote effect.
  • Options
    Ok, I think we have had enough of this nonsense. Time for the Tory lead to increase again tonight. Hopefully to something very close to double figures.
  • Options

Oh dear.

They'll throw me out!

Oh yes....
    See we we're real Tories.

We never succumbed to Blair's charm.

So glad the party has moved on from 1997 and the obsession with Europe.
    Indeed though for me it was more to do with my extremely allergic reaction to Gordon Brown even then...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AndyJS said:

Yorkcity said:

It's not just Lord Ashcroft. ElectoralCalculus, Stephen Fisher and SportingIndex are all predicting Tory majorities of at least 100 seats.
    And JohnO and I ....
  • Options

Oh dear.
    Supported remain
    Supported open borders

In two weeks time there is a General Election which is not asking you to chose your prefered leader for the Conservative Party, it is in effect asking you a binary question:

Do you want the country to be run by May or Corbyn for the next five years.

As a supposed conservative think carefully before answering, it's a tough one I know.
    Nigel farage is a national hero. he gets my vote for President of the UK.
  • Options
    I think young people who are only getting their election news from Twitter and Facebook are going to vote for Labour, even if tactically it would be better to vote Lib Dem in some constiuencies.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think the average of tonight's polls will be something like Con 45%, Lab 33%, LD 12%, UKIP 3%, Greens 2%.

Much will depend on whether we get an ICM or a ComRes.

I think ICM and ComRes (and MORI) are far more likely to give significantly higher Con leads - because they are weighting turnout based on 2015 - not what people say re likelihood to vote.

Look at the difference between the following:

19-21 May - ICM: Con +14
    18-22 May - Kantar: Con +8

And Kantar said that the Con lead would roughly double if only based on people who actually voted in 2015.

Thus these ICM and Kantar polls are actually pretty much in line with each other.
  • Options

Guru Murphy's setting up of Fallon for the ambush was despicable. No wonder journalists are held in such low regard.
    THE HYPOCRISY OF TORY VOTEERS HATING BLAIR BUT VOTING MAY IS DESPICABLE

SAME POLICES DIFFERENT PARTIES
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

blueblue said:

I thought Boris was pro Immigration , well he was when London Mayor. Thought he supported an amnesty on illegal immigrants ?
    Of course Boris is a liberal on immigration. Takes after his great grandfather, Ali Kemal.
  • Options

Any chance shouting is a banning offence?
  • Options

Indeed though for me it was more to do with my extremely allergic reaction to Gordon Brown even then...

It was my first general election, I was a callow, innocent 18 year old, obsesses with his A Levels of the time.

I realised I was a Thatcherite free marketeer.

Plus John Major and Ken Clarke loved their cricket, and I thought sound fellows.

This tweet is for you

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/868478938791772161
  • Options

It's terrible when your keyboard gets stuck on caps lock.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yorkcity said:

The lesson of the last few years' electoral contests being stay close to the predictions?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

Much will depend on whether we get an ICM or a ComRes.

I think ICM and ComRes (and MORI) are far more likely to give significantly higher Con leads - because they are weighting turnout based on 2015 - not what people say re likelihood to vote.

Look at the difference between the following:

19-21 May - ICM: Con +14
    18-22 May - Kantar: Con +8

And Kantar said that the Con lead would roughly double if only based on people who actually voted in 2015.

Thus these ICM and Kantar polls are actually pretty much in line with each other.
    We're getting a ComRes at 6pm.

My sources tell me we should also get an ICM, but that might not be released until quite late or even the morning.

Am expecting also ORB, Opinium, and maybe Survation (online) too.

Edit - And YouGov for sure.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    If nothing else, Corbyn has given the rest an opening to assault him. He will be forced into defence mode until the election. Ironically.
This discussion has been closed.