Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The jaws of victory. The Conservatives’ faltering campaign

Comments

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    isam said:

Pong said:

On social care - I'm struggling to understand why there should be a cap at all?

Elderly homeowners with significant housing wealth should be paying for their care & also subsidising elderly non-homeowners without wealth who need care.

No?

Why should people w dementia have to pay for healthcare at all is my question
    If they develop a 'medical condition' along with the 'dementia', they legally won't be liable.

Why vascular dementia isn't medical, but cardiovascular disease is, is beyond my understanding!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    F1: fascinating qualifying, but I wish I'd put more on Raikkonen to win at 27. And my set-up hedge at 5 now looks rather long.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

And Mike's busy and I'll be covering the polls tonight.

So I'm expecting a quiet, uneventful night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAwuSK36Gw
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    isam said:

You know what would be really nice? If one of the billionaires in the UK built a load of free hospitals/care homes for the elderly. Aren't there a load of big old country manors that could be put to better use?

Actually you have half a point there. Our billionaires are far "tighter" than billionaires say in the States who are far more philanthropic.
  • Options

In view of British Airways' drastic action in cancelling all their flights this afternoon, was the Government wrong to reduce the perceived level terror threat so soon?
    It would seem that might just possibly be the case.

1) The Government don't set the terrorist threat level

2) British Airways is nothing to do with the government,

3) The BA is issue is an IT issue isn't it?
    Wrong - whilst the Government is independently advised, it is they, via the COBRA committee meeting earlier, who actually took the decision and indeed announced it.

Wrong - since when have attacks on life critical IT systems not been properly classified as terrorist acts? I'd have thought as a lawyer that you'd have readily understood that.

• Options
    Thorpe_BayThorpe_Bay Posts: 47

Theresa may lets a suspect, reported by own family & community, travel freely to Libya & Syria & back & then murder. And this site think JC is a risk?

Look at your own leader before throwing stones.

Ok let's look:-

TMay has put more money into the security services, Diane Abbott wants them disbanded.

TMay lost a friend to IRA bombing, John McDonnell congratulated their bombing.

Corbyn supported the IRA and their aims. TMay does not support terrorists.

Don't throw stones at other sides until you've got your own house in order.

FOCUS JUST ON THERESA MAYS RECORD.
    FACT
    Theresa may was home secretary for 7 years and every year broke her promise on immigration. More people came in than came in. She failed to secure our borders.
    FACT
    Theresa may cut police numbers as home secretary.
    FACT
    Theresa May has no idea who is here, who isn't, where people go and who they have met.
    FACT
    She supported the removal of Saddam Hussein.
    FACT
    She supported the removal of Colonel Gaddafi
    FACT
    She told us that remaining in the EU was the only option as it would jeopardise our national security
    FACT
    There is no evidence that putting more money into the security services like the NHS makes the service better.

PLEASE
    Do not reply by talking about the otherside. We're talking about our house, our party and our representatives. Theresa May is a conservative. You're a conservative. i'm a Conservative. She is a neo-liberal conservative that is obsessed with her career and has failed the test to secure the border, maintain enough police offices on our streets and made the wrong votes on every foreign policy decision this country has faced.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

In view of British Airways' drastic action in cancelling all their flights this afternoon, was the Government wrong to reduce the perceived level terror threat so soon?

Wrong - whilst the Government is independently advised, it is they, via the COBRA committee meeting earlier, who actually took the decision and indeed announced it.

Wrong - since when have attacks on life critical IT systems not been properly classified as terrorist acts? I'd have thought as a lawyer that you'd have readily understood that.

There is no evidence that BA has been attacked. And people being late for their holiday is not life critical.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Freggles said:

isam said:

Pong said:

Elderly homeowners with significant housing wealth should be paying for their care & also subsidising elderly non-homeowners without wealth who need care.

No?

It's social care that they are paying for, which was never part of the NHS.

If the person has severe health needs as a result of dementia or anything else their care is free (It's called Continuing Health Care).
    The difference between health and social care is often contentious but it hinges on the severity, complexity, frequency etc of the needs
    So when you are too ill to look after yourself then you should be under health care, trying to rob people by pretending that for some it is social care and not health care is a disgrace. They are ill and need hospitalised. All teh weaselly Tory words will not change the fact that either everybody should get it or they should all pay for their own, some people shoudl not pay multiple times for being sensible whilst wasters get taken by the hand and spoon fed someone elses money. Remove it from Tax / NI and make insurance compulsory.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAwuSK36Gw
    Is OGH attending another meeting of *cough* "academics"?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

No, it is JTAC that sets the threat level, it is independent of the government. The government merely announced it. We went through this the other day.

So you'd consider the ransomware attack on the NHS as a terrorist attack, as opposed to a cybercrime?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    edited May 2017
    Three massive hospitals in my town have been closed this century, they could easily have been care homes for the elderly, one practically was!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited May 2017
    Corbyn's apologists say his associations with the IRA are already factored in. Possible. However, he was caught telling an outright lie -

https://order-order.com/2017/05/27/iain-dale-reads-guidos-corbyn-ira-list-diane-abbott/

The 'man of principle' suddenly becomes a squirming liar under forensic cross examination. That will harm Corbyn.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    isam said:

Three massive hospitals in my town have been closed this century, they could easily have been care homes for the elderly, one practically was!

The staff costs would still need to be paid for.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited May 2017
    Norm said:

isam said:

You know what would be really nice? If one of the billionaires in the UK built a load of free hospitals/care homes for the elderly. Aren't there a load of big old country manors that could be put to better use?

Actually you have half a point there. Our billionaires are far "tighter" than billionaires say in the States who are far more philanthropic.
    Mrs Thatcher was said to be surprised and disappointed that the new 1980s millionaires were not more philanthropic. Her invocation of the Good Samaritan was meant both ways. George Osborne on the other hand removed tax incentives to philanthropy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

FACT
    Theresa May has no idea who is here, who isn't, where people go and who they have met.

Maybe we should all carry compulsory trackers so the government knows where we all are at any point in time.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Theresa may lets a suspect, reported by own family & community, travel freely to Libya & Syria & back & then murder. And this site think JC is a risk?

TMay has put more money into the security services, Diane Abbott wants them disbanded.

PLEASE
    Do not reply by talking about the otherside. We're talking about our house, our party and our representatives. Theresa May is a conservative. You're a conservative. i'm a Conservative. She is a neo-liberal conservative that is obsessed with her career and has failed the test to secure the border, maintain enough police offices on our streets and made the wrong votes on every foreign policy decision this country has faced.
    "i'm a Conservative"

Yes, of course you are.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    yesterday i was able to access the consituency forecasts but today I cant - can anyone else?

http://elections.newstatesman.com/constituency-forecasts/
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    rcs1000 said:

FACT

Maybe we should all carry compulsory trackers so the government knows where we all are at any point in time.
    iPhones for all !
  • Options

isam said:

The staff costs would still need to be paid for.

True but the expensive machines that go ping are not needed, so it will be cheaper than an actual hospital.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

PLEASE
    "i'm a Conservative"

Yes, of course you are.
    Yes I beleive him.

Pops up on the forum two weeks before the election and we get 21 posts in a few hours all attacking the Conservatives.. natural Tory I would say.
  • Options
    SophyRidge On Sunday‏Verified account @RidgeOnSunday 8m8 minutes ago

4 Scottish leaders on the show tmrw LIVE in Glasgow. If @British_Airways can't fix its PCs, one of them might have to be presenter... #Ridge
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

From a similar point two year ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/04/25/the-first-of-tonights-three-polls-has-the-tories-still-ahead/
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Us Labourites should have a good old piss-up for the next few hours, before the batch of polls brings us back down to earth :(
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

The Duke of Westminster did that. Stanford Hall.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Tory share has gone from 41-42% before the election was called to 43-44% now (pending tonight's polls).

I really don't see the problem.

No good burying your head in sand.

The tories will win but by god they seem to be trying not to.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

There is no evidence that BA has been attacked. And people being late for their holiday is not life critical.
    I suspect IT folks are taking the weekend to upgrade systems - I've just been on the phone to my Hosting company coz website is down.....server upgrade.....
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Danny565 said:

Us Labourites should have a good old piss-up for the next few hours, before the batch of polls brings us back down to earth :(

If Lord Ashcroft is correct nothing has changed ,142 conservative Maj.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Norm said:

isam said:

You could move the inverted commas from "tighter" and put them around "our". Most London-resident billionaires worth more than £5bn are foreigners. Are there any who aren't, now that Gerald Grosvenor has died, other than the Monaco-domiciled Reuben brothers?

• Options

No, it is JTAC that sets the threat level, it is independent of the government. The government merely announced it. We went through this the other day.

So you'd consider the ransomware attack on the NHS as a terrorist attack, as opposed to a cybercrime?
    You have chosen to ignore the words "life critical" which I used in this context.
  • Options

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/04/25/the-first-of-tonights-three-polls-has-the-tories-still-ahead/
    Without wanting to break confidences, I've been texting someone in the polling industry about two years ago.

He said what's different is that the polls largely had the Tories and Labour neck and neck, and any leads were within the MOE.

This time the story is the apparent fall in the Tory lead/rise in Labour's share of the vote.

Tonight the issue for us is this, was the YouGov poll an outlier or a harbinger, the decline in Mrs May's ratings makes me think harbinger.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Oh dear......

The Shadow Home Secretary's remarks appeared to contradict Mr Corbyn's assertion yesterday that he had never met with the Republican terrorist group.

The Labour leader has come under fire for his past association with militant Republicans, including inviting convicted IRA terrorists to the House of Commons just weeks after the Brighton bombing in 1984.

In an interview on the BBC last night, Mr Corbyn insisted he had "never met the IRA" and had done his best to help negotiate a peaceful solution to the conflict in Northern Ireland.

But this morning Ms Abbott appeared to contradict that assertion, telling LBC radio: "I think that his understanding is he met with them in their capacity as activists in Sinn Fein."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/26/jeremy-corbyn-thinks-real-evil-western-intervention-not-isil/

Jeremy is different, he doesn't lie or dissemble..... oh
  • Options

Wrong - since when have attacks on life critical IT systems not been properly classified as terrorist acts? I'd have thought as a lawyer that you'd have readily understood that
    1) In what way is the BA system 'life critical'?
    2) What evidence do you have for 'attack'? When faced with a choice between 'cock up' and 'conspiracy' I know which is more likely.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    It just baffles me that in a country where so many have such excess, caring for the elderly comes down to a pound note.

• Options

You have chosen to ignore the words "life critical" which I used in this context.
    How is the BA issue life critical?

People are having their flights cancelled, frustrating yes, life critical? I mean really?

As an aside, I keep on telling people British Airways is the shitest airline in the world.

They pretend to be a Premier League airline, but they are more pub league
  • Options
    Latest Tory attack line - Corbyn said that he 'did not meet the IRA'. **CCHQ produces extensive and well documented evidence that he did on numerous occasions.**

So he's not only a deranged old terrorist sympathiser, he's also a brass necked liar who is finally being pinned down over his disgraceful allegiances.

Could change everything very quickly indeed.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

Norm said:

As Matthew Parris in the Times and Peter the Punter indeed wrote earlier here the "Brexit" election has so far been about anything else except Brexit. Labour though played a clever card in accepting we are leaving the EU albeit preferring a softer route out. It has made it hard for the Tories to make capital or reset the election on to that subject. The LDs in contrast by focussing on a second referendum as their main platform have nuked themselves. We do though need to have a proper debate about the way forward and I sincerely hope that occurs in the next ten days.

Maybe Con should try to frighten Leave supporters by saying "We won't actually leave under Corbyn" - which could well be true in the sense that a Corbyn Minority Government would be dependent on SNP / LD - neither of whom want to leave.

Con need a clear simple selling point - Leave supporters thinking only Con will actually leave the EU would be a very powerful one.
    You are not going to make Brexit into a big issue for people in this election. But by all means try! CON do need a USP but...the time has gone.
  • Options
    F1: waiting for Ladbrokes to awaken (probably take an hour for everything to be up) and Betfair's odds on Raikkonen have drifted from 2.56 (lay) to 3.25. That's a little odd.

Now, you might be thinking that he'll just be asked to step aside for Vettel. Maybe. But that assumes Ferrari are in a 1-2 at the closing stages (certainly post-pit stops). And they might not. My main concern, unlucky VSC timing aside, would be Bottas passing Vettel off the line. It's tight, but the Mercedes Finn has had flying starts for most of the season.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

I suspect IT folks are taking the weekend to upgrade systems - I've just been on the phone to my Hosting company coz website is down.....server upgrade.....
    Ditto.

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Jason said:

Corbyn's apologists say his associations with the IRA are already factored in. Possible. However, he was caught telling an outright lie -

https://order-order.com/2017/05/27/iain-dale-reads-guidos-corbyn-ira-list-diane-abbott/

The 'man of principle' suddenly becomes a squirming liar under forensic cross examination. That will harm Corbyn.

Yep, it's not the IRA talks that is the big problem it is now the fibbing about it.

Getting a politician to squirm is what interviewers live for, they got May on the care costs and now they have a new target.
  • Options

PLEASE
    "i'm a Conservative"

Yes, of course you are.
    Excuse me I campaigned hard on the streets for Rebecca Harris. Let me tell you there are few voters in Essex that support a pro-remain tory, who supports cuts in police numbers, who refused to control our borders and who believes in neo-liberal policies.

Blair, Cameron and May have one thing in common.
    All Pro-EU
    All support open borders
    All support bombing other nations.

I have huge respect for Nigel Farage. He should get a knighthood for what he's done for this country. Make no mistake the biggest risk to our country is neo-liberal politicians that keep making the same mistakes time and time again.
  • Options

Perhaps but with the long holiday weekend in much of Europe, Britain and America, it seems an odd time for BA.

That said, apparently this sort of thing is becoming more common now: (1) upgrade system to tighten security; (2) old app won't start because it can no longer access the system with tightened security; (3) troubleshoot for a day or so; (4) rollback the change.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    edited May 2017

Without wanting to break confidences, I've been texting someone in the polling industry about two years ago.

He said what's different is that the polls largely had the Tories and Labour neck and neck, and any leads were within the MOE.

This time the story is the apparent fall in the Tory lead/rise in Labour's share of the vote.

Tonight the issue for us is this, was the YouGov poll an outlier or a harbinger, the decline in Mrs May's ratings makes me think harbinger.
    I've just been You-Gov'd; unusually they actually presented me with a list of the candidates standing in my constituency. This, I assume, is to cut down on UKIP/Green voters who don't have a candidate. If they are doing it by constituency then perhaps they will have a better idea of seat numbers than simply the raw share of vote.
  • Options
    Serious question: are there any Tories who think it would be better for their party to go into opposition for a while?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

PLEASE
    "i'm a Conservative"

Yes, of course you are.
    The "neo-liberal" is a dead giveaway, but at least this one lasted longer (about a dozen posts) than the other astroturfer we had this morning, who got widgeted from one post...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HaroldO said:

Jason said:

Yep, it's not the IRA talks that is the big problem it is now the fibbing about it.

Getting a politician to squirm is what interviewers live for, they got May on the care costs and now they have a new target.
    It's also the rather more insidious whiff of anti British about him. When somebody has to request their patriotism or lack thereof is not made into an issue before any such implication has taken place, then it tends to tell it's own story.
  • Options

the decline in Mrs May's ratings makes me think harbinger.
    The YouGov ratings showed an increase post-Manchester, while Corbyn's fell.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Yorkcity said:

Danny565 said:

If Lord Ashcroft is correct nothing has changed ,142 conservative Maj.
    Wasn't Lord Ashcroft's polling infamously wrong two years ago?

Tories will still win though.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I've just been You-Gov'd; unusually they actually presented me with a list of the candidates standing in my constituency. This, I assume, is to cut down on UKIP/Green voters who don't have a candidate. If they are doing it by constituency then perhaps they will have a better idea of seat numbers that simply the raw share of vote.
    Yup, YouGov, ComRes, ICM, and a few others are now asking constituency specific VI for that very reason.
  • Options

I'm talking longer term, Mrs May had a circa 50% lead over Corbyn a month ago, it is now down to circa 15%
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Poster watch :
    Paul Blomfield Sheffield central huge amount of boards in the s11 area near cemetary road.

Totley grange drive where I'm delivering soft Tory remain squeeze leaflets for Clegg. 2 Labour houses no other boards in the 67 house delivery.
    Couple of lib dem 2 Tory boards on Baslow road so far
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Cyan said:

MikeL said:

Norm said:

As Matthew Parris in the Times and Peter the Punter indeed wrote earlier here the "Brexit" election has so far been about anything else except Brexit. Labour though played a clever card in accepting we are leaving the EU albeit preferring a softer route out. It has made it hard for the Tories to make capital or reset the election on to that subject. The LDs in contrast by focussing on a second referendum as their main platform have nuked themselves. We do though need to have a proper debate about the way forward and I sincerely hope that occurs in the next ten days.

Maybe Con should try to frighten Leave supporters by saying "We won't actually leave under Corbyn" - which could well be true in the sense that a Corbyn Minority Government would be dependent on SNP / LD - neither of whom want to leave.

Con need a clear simple selling point - Leave supporters thinking only Con will actually leave the EU would be a very powerful one.
    You are not going to make Brexit into a big issue for people in this election. But by all means try! CON do need a USP but...the time has gone.
    Whether or not it will be made a "big issue" it is still THE no1 issue facing the country over the next few years. The next Parliament will surely be dominated by Brexit. Meanwhile the Labour manifesto is proposing a separate legislative agenda on another level to anything in recent history.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Poster watch :
    Paul Blomfield Sheffield central huge amount of boards in the s11 area near cemetary road.

Totley grange drive where I'm delivering soft Tory remain squeeze leaflets for Clegg. 2 Labour houses no other boards in the 67 house delivery.

Told you they were worried about losing Sheffield Central.
  • Options

I'm talking longer term, Mrs May had a circa 50% lead over Corbyn a month ago, it is now down to circa 15%
    Her ratings ought to have improved due to bring all PMly this week.
    But law of counter intuitives says.............
  • Options
    Question for voters
    Do you support Open borders? No
    Well you can't vote for Theresa May as she was home secretary for 7 years and failed to control immigration.

And I get told I'm not a Conservative. Look in the mirror and just say "I'm voting for someone who for 7 years has left our countries borders open and done nothing about it. Yes she calls herself a Conservative.

What is Conservative about open borders and letting anyone in?
  • Options

With the number of polls we're getting tonight, I suspect there'll be something for the big two to be happy with.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Question for voters
    Well you can't vote for Theresa May as she was home secretary for 7 years and failed to control immigration.

And I get told I'm not a Conservative. Look in the mirror and just say "I'm voting for someone who for 7 years has left our countries borders open and done nothing about it. Yes she calls herself a Conservative.

Who are you going to vote for?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242
    edited May 2017
    Honestly, I find the current Tory panic amusing, not the least in that it's exposing some of the cracks in the coalition. Fighting an election entirely by screeching IRA every time Corbyn appears is at best blue meat for the base and at worst possibly counterproductive. Especially as the Corbyn call on some foreign policy choices of the last 20 years has been demonstrably right.

But I can't believe the Tories won't still get a very workable majority in June 2017. And be utterly thrashed in 2022.

• Options
    Cyan said:

Serious question: are there any Tories who think it would be better for their party to go into opposition for a while?

And have a Corbyn government propped up by the SNP?

No! No! No!

To borrow a phrase.....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,851
    This election isn't about the fact of Brexit. We've declared Article 50. It's going ahead. It's now about delivering an outcome where the choices approximately are a messy and long drawn out compromise or walking away with nothing. It's not surprising parties don't want to talk about it. The Lib Dems did, but not too their advantage.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

And it's a bank holiday weekend (and half term) - I won't believe any of the polls until next weekend (and even then I won't trust them; they still have huge sampling problems in my opinion).
  • Options

Question for voters

If you're going to astroturf, at least get your facts right.

She was Home Secretary for six years.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    marke09 said:

4 Scottish leaders on the show tmrw LIVE in Glasgow. If @British_Airways can't fix its PCs, one of them might have to be presenter... #Ridge

Sophy needs to book herself a berth on the sleeper. Perhaps Sunil could give her some tips?

(Auto correct just changed Sophy to 'so physical'!)
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Question for voters

And how would they close them (whatever that actually means) whilst being EU members?
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145

HaroldO said:

Jason said:

It's also the rather more insidious whiff of anti British about him. When somebody has to request their patriotism or lack thereof is not made into an issue before any such implication has taken place, then it tends to tell it's own story.
    Yes, Major and Blair told the northern Irish they had to decide their own future, but both wanted and welcomed them to stay British. Corbyn told them they should join a united Ireland. He saw a group of people who wanted to remain British and he told them to go away.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Sophy needs to book herself a berth on the sleeper. Perhaps Sunil could give her some tips?

That wasn't an auto correct, that was a Freudian
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Pulpstar said:

Poster watch :

Told you they were worried about losing Sheffield Central.
    Labour ?

No chance
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Jason said:

Paxman must be licking his lips in anticipation.

First question to Corbyn - 'did you meet members of the IRA, yes or no?' If he says 'no', Paxman produces Guido's damning list and reads out the evidence.

I wonder if his advisers have told him to stick with the 'I thought they were acting on behalf of Sinn Fein, honest I did, gov, I did it all for peace, honest'.

Corbyn's chickens have come home to roost. Finally.
  • Options

May lead vs Corbyn Net Favourable:

20 April: +52
    22 May: +3
    25 May: +17

Lets see what happens next....
  • Options

marke09 said:

marke09 said:

marke09 said:

she has set up a poll on her twitter account asking which one of the four should be presenter -so far Ruth is favourite
  • Options
    I knew he was tall, but just how fecking tall is Daniel Kawczynski

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/868462183973355521
  • Options
    Corbyn getting a lot of TV coverage inthe next few days - heis on Peston on Sunday, The Channel4/SKY News debate onMonday and The One SHow on Tuesday
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Question for voters

What Conservative could contemplate letting Corbyn in? Then you'll see what REAL open borders are all about.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242
    Jason said:

HaroldO said:

Jason said:

First question to Corbyn - 'did you meet members of the IRA, yes or no?' If he says 'no', Paxman produces Guido's damning list and reads out the evidence.

I wonder if his advisers have told him to stick with the 'I thought they were acting on behalf of Sinn Fein, honest I did, gov, I did it all for peace, honest'.

Are you at the Billy Mill roundabout yet Jason?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Question for voters

Who are you going to vote for?
    I'm voting for Ron Woodley - Independent in Southend East and Rochford.

I would for David Amess if I was in Southend West.
    I would for Rebecca Harris if I was in Castle Point (Benfleet/Hadleigh in her seat)
  • Options
    Fernando said:

HaroldO said:

Jason said:

Yes, Major and Blair told the northern Irish they had to decide their own future, but both wanted and welcomed them to stay British. Corbyn told them they should join a united Ireland. He saw a group of people who wanted to remain British and he told them to go away.
    Ditto Gibraltar, Falklands, ...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    malcolmg said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Pong said:

No?

It's social care that they are paying for, which was never part of the NHS.

If the person has severe health needs as a result of dementia or anything else their care is free (It's called Continuing Health Care).
    The difference between health and social care is often contentious but it hinges on the severity, complexity, frequency etc of the needs
    So when you are too ill to look after yourself then you should be under health care, trying to rob people by pretending that for some it is social care and not health care is a disgrace. They are ill and need hospitalised. All teh weaselly Tory words will not change the fact that either everybody should get it or they should all pay for their own, some people shoudl not pay multiple times for being sensible whilst wasters get taken by the hand and spoon fed someone elses money. Remove it from Tax / NI and make insurance compulsory.
    I don't think everyone with dementia who needs some care should be hospitalised.

I would rather we had a National Care Service.

Most people don't have chronic needs because of their own fault, and those that do have already been punished
  • Options
    Jason said:

HaroldO said:

Jason said:

Oh, interested in Corbyn's links to the IRA are you? Well why didn't you mention it before?

/s
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Inserting Con 42, Lab 39, LD 9, UKIP 2, Green 2 into Baxter gives a Con majority of 4.

This seems very surprising given that a lead of 6.6% in 2015 only gave a majority of 12 - it implies Con would only lose a net 4 seats.

Can anyone explain this?

Can anyone give an objective analysis of whether it's likely to be right or wrong (ie not just Con supporters saying it's right and Lab supporters saying it's wrong).
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Question for voters

What Conservative could contemplate letting Corbyn in? Then you'll see what REAL open borders are all about.
    Your voting for an MP not a president.

The mp is who you vote for. They make a real difference. They advocate for the interests of the community.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    marke09 said:

Corbyn getting a lot of TV coverage inthe next few days - heis on Peston on Sunday, The Channel4/SKY News debate onMonday and The One SHow on Tuesday

...and only the snippets about his IRA associations will be shown on the main news on the BBC and ITV. He's made it a story by lying to Andrew Neil.

He could not bring himself to condemn the IRA, because it would have meant condemning himself. Lying about it is even worse.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    "On the other side of the fence, Theresa May needs urgently to remind the public what she considers to be her USP for this election."

In the words of Alastair Sim in The Happiest Days of Your Life - can't you see she's trying to think of one?
  • Options
    Miss Vance, also interesting all show the Conservatives in third.
  • Options

Question for voters

It's hilarious how many posters pop out of the woodwork at election time.

If you can't take PB when it's mid term AV discussions, you don't deserve it three weeks out from a snap GE
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395

Ha, blocked.
    Don't remember ever interacting with him, but no doubt it would have been a tribute to his sterling (geddit) efforts to encourage UK-Saudi relations.
  • Options
    In 2015 all three of Lord Ashcroft's Sheffield Hallam constituency polls had Clegg losing.

Just saying.
  • Options

Jason said:

HaroldO said:

Jason said:

Are you at the Billy Mill roundabout yet Jason?
    I'd like to see the positive case for voting Tory at the election rather than just simply 'Corbyn is terrible' something which has already been established.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Question for voters

It's hilarious how many posters pop out of the woodwork at election time.

If you can't take PB when it's mid term AV discussions, you don't deserve it three weeks out from a snap GE
    The funny thing is, it's not like many PBers are going to change their vote.

Much like the Clinton bot that turned up, IIRC there are only two PBers who have an actual vote in American elections.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

blueblue said:

Question for voters

Your voting for an MP not a president.

The mp is who you vote for. They make a real difference. They advocate for the interests of the community.
    Complete rubbish - the PM dictates Government policy over 90% of the time. We've had a quasi-presidential system in the UK for decades.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jason said:

marke09 said:

...and only the snippets about his IRA associations will be shown on the main news on the BBC and ITV. He's made it a story by lying to Andrew Neil.

He could not bring himself to condemn the IRA, because it would have meant condemning himself. Lying about it is even worse.

Can you tell us again Jason ? As many on here can not get your gist.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Ha, blocked.
    Don't remember ever interacting with him, but no doubt it would have been a tribute to his sterling (geddit) efforts to encourage UK-Saudi relations.
    I'm still proud of my blocking by Dan Hannan when he said Vote Leave had never raised immigration much during the EU ref campaign.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Chris said:

"On the other side of the fence, Theresa May needs urgently to remind the public what she considers to be her USP for this election."

In the words of Alastair Sim in The Happiest Days of Your Life - can't you see she's trying to think of one?

To differentiate herself from Corbyn, May should pitch up wearing a bowler hat and singing The Sash.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Inserting Con 42, Lab 39, LD 9, UKIP 2, Green 2 into Baxter gives a Con majority of 4.

This seems very surprising given that a lead of 6.6% in 2015 only gave a majority of 12 - it implies Con would only lose a net 4 seats.

Can anyone explain this?

Can anyone give an objective analysis of whether it's likely to be right or wrong (ie not just Con supporters saying it's right and Lab supporters saying it's wrong).

My expectation would be that a left wing candidate is more likely to pile up votes in traditionally strong Labour areas and be vulnerable in marginal seats, which would make the Tory vote more efficient by comparison. But what do I know.
  • Options

Chris said:

To differentiate herself from Corbyn, May should pitch up wearing a bowler hat and singing The Sash.
    This is what she should do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ-SaqUYJZw
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218

Chris said:

That is reserved for Ruthie and her chums
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Jason said:

marke09 said:

Can you tell us again Jason ? As many on here can not get your gist.
    Is the truth hitting home? That your man is a terrorist sympathiser and now a proven liar? Blame him, not me.
  • Options
    This was posted earlier, but...

The thing that made me really pay attention was the petulant sigh at 0:53 in sheer disbelief that anyone would question the lie.
  • Options

Ha, blocked.
    I'm still proud of my blocking by Dan Hannan when he said Vote Leave had never raised immigration during the EU ref campaign.
    LOL he really said that?

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

Why all this angst from Tories when Lord Ashcroft polls showing a majority of 142 ?

A long time ago I used to do Maths questions - for Exams etc. The angst is that the analysis offered by his grace seems to be essentially correct but the reality will always be that there might be some 1=2 errors in the working which we haven't noticed. Lord Ashcroft also has a track record of not getting these things right.

No campaign is ever perfect and I don't mean that as an understatement. They can veer off in the weirdest directions for little logical reason. For instance the social services policy, vilified a week ago is now seen to have some merit. BUT it was at Green Paper level and that was never / could never be explained.

I don't like the one person campaign myself - just reinforces the Spitting Image thing about Mrs T and the vegetables - at least the vegetables had names !

There is obviously a very wide margin for the possible majority and I think 136 is about the maximum reasonable expectation. But for me the key is 90 because that is where I think Westmorland swings Tory.
This discussion has been closed.