Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov has CON lead BELOW what it was at GE2015

Comments

• Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Sandpit said:

Did Nick Timothy write an article which said ' Shortly there will be an election, in which the Tories will increase their majority' a few weeks ago.

Did Nick Timothy steal your girlfriend, seriously?
    Worse - it looks like he's stolen the country and given it to Corbyn.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Sandpit said:

LOL at the hysterical over-reaction to one poll.

Con Majority is now out to 1.15 on Betfair though, so worth a top up, and tomorrow we have the joy of Corbyn's speech blaming Britain for terrorism followed by him sitting down with Andrew Neil - someone who's seen everything before and isn't going to pull any punches.

Night all!

It isn't one poll, though. There's been a rash of polls showing a sharp tightening of the race.

What doesn't make any sense to me is Copeland and the locals. The Tories got magnificent results, don't tell me that was from voters who weren't paying attention yet. And the boost for Labour in the current polling is from young and non-voters - not old voters defecting due to #DementiaTax.

Why have these voters suddenly woken up when they didn't mere weeks ago?
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    why are the polls taken so seriously? They were wrong in 2015. What has changed?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Ok but seriously, if there has not just been a polling cock up in the past week or so, how soft was the Tory support and Labour anti-corbynism? Tories are still polling high, really, albeit not as super high as they were, so have shed support, and if the polls are right then all the anti-corbyn labour people are returning with tails between their legs, and all the talk of vast Lab-UKIP_CON switchers was bullcrap.

The yougov figures show Corbyn is mainly winning 2015 LDs and some 2015 UKIP voters, the Tories are still making a net gain from Labour
    I would be very interested in seeing some polling evidence of whether tactical voting is returning. That could be the difference between 150 seat majority and a 25 seat one.
    Tactical voting in whose favour?

2 party voting seems to be returning, both parties are dramatically up leaving fewer third party votes to squeeze tactically.
    In 1997, the LibDems dropped 1% from their 1992 total to 16.8%. Yet they increased their seat count by almost 150%. Why? Tactical voting.

Last year in Scotland, the LibDems lost share in the constituency portion of the Holyrood vote, yet doubled their number of seats, and came close in Caithness, Sutherland & Ross, and managed an impressive 15% bump in Argyll & Bute. Why? Tactical voting.

If Labour voters in Twickenham, Richmond Park, Bath, Lewes, etc., choose to vote tactically for the LibDems - which they backed away from in 2015 - then those seats could be lost, even with the LDs on just 10%.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    Jonathan said:

Wondering what chance a Labour poll lead between now and polling day.

The last Labour poll lead was fieldwork ending 26th April 2016.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Oh dear, Mrs. May: What have you done?

Is that you being sarcastic Mr Nabavi or are you really worried ?
    Worried? Not exactly, I have enough faith in British voters to think that there's not a snowflake's chance in hell that nearly 4 out of 10 of them seriously want Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott running the country.

But it does seem very likely that Theresa May has made a rookie error with the presentation of the social care changes - not her first rookie error, of course, but this one is serious. I think we can wave goodbye to the idea of a landslide, so I've just sold on the spreads at 384.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Just wondering what impact the Manchester tragedy might be having and the extent to which this might continue through until 8 June.

May, ex-Home Secretary and current PM, has tried to dodge responsibility and outrageously has tried to smear her opponent Corbyn as a security risk. The British public is expressing its disgust.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    Tonights YG TMICIPM
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

0% of that happening. This could be peak Labour. Enjoy it while it lasts!
    My longshot (foolish) Lab to lead during 2017 would be cruelly denied if they got any closed but didn't do so.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

Saltire said:

tlg86 said:

I see the others are down two to 6% - does that mean the SNP are doing badly in this poll?

Considering that they accounted for almost 5% of the total vote last time it along with the Greens on almost 4% plus 1% for PC + others it shows either the SNP or the Greens are polling very poorly and the Green lack of candidates will see their share fall off quite a bit anyway.
    It might be that Labour are getting back a few voters from the SNP as well as the Greens in Scotland (Corbyn is not viewed so negatively by the Scottish public as down south) which could make a couple more seats interesting in Scotland outside the challenges of the LDs and Tories to the Nats.
    Indeed I have been poking about in seats where SNP are in a 2 horse race with SLAB, and where Corbynism may well be popular. Parts of Glasgow for example. There were massive SNP surges before in 2015, but are they fading?
    I actually think that if Labour had stood one or 2 more prominent people for say Paisley and Renfrew S. (Mhairi Black's seat) they might of had a good chance in the West but I think that while they are likely to reduce some majorities into the 4-6K range, I don't see to much success in terms of gains. (10k+ is a tough ask to overturn)
    They are more likely to see improvement and possible gains in and around Edinburgh in places like East Lothian, Midlothian and Edinburgh N although the lack of a Green candidate in the last one will make the SNP that bit safer this time around.
    It is, as Alistair has stated before, going to come down to how many SNP supporters turnout this time considering that we had a higher than the rest of the country 71% turnout overall last time - mainly down to the Nationalist surge. I get the impression that they are not nearly as enthused as in 2015.
    If they really struggle to get the voters to the polls, and Glaswegians are notoriously poor when it comes to voting, then there could be an upset in 2 weeks time.
  • Options

Just wondering what impact the Manchester tragedy might be having and the extent to which this might continue through until 8 June.

May, ex-Home Secretary and current PM, has tried to dodge responsibility and outrageously has tried to smear her opponent Corbyn as a security risk. The British public is expressing its disgust.
    Maybe, but the Tories did better in the 24-25 May fieldwork than 22 May polling.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Sandpit said:

Did Nick Timothy write an article which said ' Shortly there will be an election, in which the Tories will increase their majority' a few weeks ago.

Did Nick Timothy steal your girlfriend, seriously?
    Nope, he's doing his best to make Jeremy Corbyn PM.

He might be the greatest traitor this country has seen since Kim Philby.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Corbyn IS a security risk.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    I find myself finally in the position of being angry at basically every single party, truly angry.

Labour for choosing Corbyn and likely voting in their millions for him to be PM and Abbott Home Secretary, too many it would seem to get rid of him.
    Tories for running such a poor campaign Corbyn will remain in place and they'll have wasted months that could have been spent on Brexit negotiations for nothing
    LDs for failing to take advantage of either of the above to make any marked improvement
    UKIP for being generally useless
    Greens for being generally nonsense
    SNP for being too successful for my liking
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

rcs1000 said:

Totally off-topic.

Today I was in Milan, having lunch overlooking the Duomo with senior partners from the a couple of the largest accounting and law firms in Italy. One was from the North, and one from the South.

It's hard, in the UK, to realise just how broken Italy is. Even compared to France, it is a bureaucratic nightmare, with appalling demographics, a f*cked up political system, rampant corruption and a sclerotic labour market. Both men despaired of positive change.

One felt that the only option was for Italy to leave the EU, so it would be forced to take responsibility for its actions. The other saw the EU as the only possible salvation for Italy, forcing it to change all the things that were wrong with the country.

Neither were Bepe Grillo supporters, largely on the basis that Beppe Grillo's current pitch to the Italian people is that there is stagnation due to lack of cheap internet access is (to use my phrase) away with the fairies.

If the EU/Eurozone is to fall apart, Italy will be the catalyst.

But was it the northerner or the southerner who wanted to leave the EU ?
    The Southerner. I'm not going to say any more, because otherwise it would be quite easy to identify him.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

The one thing that's keeping me from going fucking insane is that the Tory score is still at a historic high of 43. And if that 43% are loyal now, after the car crash manifesto and May's wobble, then they've got to turn out on election day to stop a Corbyn government.

Nah - your not listening to the hedgie Osbornites. 43% is dreadful.....

Snigger.
    Against the worst Labour leader of all time. It's a fucking disaster. Dave would be 20 points up right now on a "Mr Brexit" campaign. He would not have made these stupid unforced errors.
    The Cameron project that tripped itself up after alienating up to 20% of the right? The Cameron project that trailed Corbyn's Labour in polls in April 3016? Do me a flavour!
    You can keep arguing that point. I'm telling you that if Dave had become Pm in 2016 under the same circumstances as the blessed Mrs M he would be considerably more than 5 points ahead of Corbyn.
    Look, I'm an historian. I place more value in historical fact than hearsay from fanbois.
    Despite being one of the most ardent supporters of SDP Theresa on here? Come off it. You've dug yourself into a position and now you want to justify it despite all the mounting evidence that she's not very good and not really a proper Tory. Not a single Tory member I know is in favour of state intervention in the energy markets, other than to increase competition. It's a disaster area policy that has legitimised nationalisation.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Quincel said:

dixiedean said:

May I profer some speculation? It's the economy, stupid! Many regular posters are retired, self-employed, or in stable, well-paid employment. (I know not all are of course!).
    Meanwhile, real wages are falling again, productivity is below 2008 levels. Low unemployment is masking these very basic facts. Many are in self-employment, on precarious short-term contracts, or on public sector pay freezes.
    Simply saying 5 more years, I am not Jeremy Corbyn, is not a very attractive message.
    Corbyn is at least addressing these concerns, rather as Trump did. It does not really matter if his solutions are not coherent. He is change.
    Pro-Leave people ought to get that.
    Still think majority of 100 for May.
    However, as was said on the night of Macron/Le Pen...that c.1/3rd of the vote are not going anywhere.

This is all well and good, but wasn't it true 6 months ago too. Poll leads were big then.
    Yes, but most people had not seen Corbyn or May then. Only read about the devil and the Mother of the Nation.
    Maybe, but in Copeland there was saturation campaigning. Didn't help Labour.

This whole situation confuses me.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited May 2017
    If this is going sour for the Tories I hope it's because on careful reflection enough people were repelled Theresa May's interchangability with UKIP and her bearhug with Brexit.

In reality though I suspect an outlier
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Also, the canvassing we did earlier wouldn't suggest Manchester will have much impact on votes. Only one person mentioned it at all, and that was actually in quite a negative way towards May: "we had no terrorist attacks in Britain for years, and suddenly she gets in and we have 2 within a few months". Which even I thought was a bit unfair!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

If anyone was warming up for a Labour bounce, Jez is going to give a speech tomorrow telling us how the terrorism is all our own fault, innit.

Or say intervening in Iraq and Libya hasn't helped. It is the same point Farage made. He may even throw in a Tory majority might mean troops in Syria. It is hardly groundbreaking.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

why are the polls taken so seriously? They were wrong in 2015. What has changed?

They would hope to have fixed their issues. And what else have we got?
    Jonathan said:

Improbable but no longer impossible. We might have a South Thanet criminal charge to come - if the lead was still in the mid teens, I doubt it would gain traction, but with the Tories on the slide...
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

She's worse than Gordon Brown, at least he wasn't stupid enough to actually call an early election.
    This site is absolute comedy tonight.

I'm loving it!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    houndtang said:

What had changed, before the last week or so, was that people thought the Tory lead in the polls was too big to be an error. So the polls would be indicating the winner of the election even if they weren't very accurate.

Now ...

• Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

The one thing that's keeping me from going fucking insane is that the Tory score is still at a historic high of 43. And if that 43% are loyal now, after the car crash manifesto and May's wobble, then they've got to turn out on election day to stop a Corbyn government.

Snigger.
    Against the worst Labour leader of all time. It's a fucking disaster. Dave would be 20 points up right now on a "Mr Brexit" campaign. He would not have made these stupid unforced errors.
    The Cameron project that tripped itself up after alienating up to 20% of the right? The Cameron project that trailed Corbyn's Labour in polls in April 3016? Do me a flavour!
    You can keep arguing that point. I'm telling you that if Dave had become Pm in 2016 under the same circumstances as the blessed Mrs M he would be considerably more than 5 points ahead of Corbyn.
    Look, I'm an historian. I place more value in historical fact than hearsay from fanbois.
    Then you should examine the way you interpret your historical data as it appears to need some revision. Incidentally ICM from April 2016 shows the Tories with a 5 point lead and Ukip still polling mid teens....just saying.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Despite being one of the most ardent supporters of SDP Theresa on here? Come off it. You've dug yourself into a position and now you want to justify it despite all the mounting evidence that she's not very good and not really a proper Tory. Not a single Tory member I know is in favour of state intervention in the energy markets, other than to increase competition. It's a disaster area policy that has legitimised nationalisation.
    Calm down dear.

Come and see how popular she is on the doorstep.

• Options

She's worse than Gordon Brown, at least he wasn't stupid enough to actually call an early election.

I'm loving it!
    I'm just spitballing ideas out for potential threads I might write for Sunday.

I suspect this is not the weekend to write threads more than 6 hours in advance.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Also, the canvassing we did earlier wouldn't suggest Manchester will have much impact on votes.

I can imagine a lot of people very consciously not letting it impact their vote, rejecting the thought of doing so even if the get a bit concerned about their choice.

In which case what arrests the Tory slide and sees them recover? A bad performance by Corbyn against Neill? The man has had a good few weeks and surely knows every bit of dirt Neill might throw at him, and has been receiving attacks for years, there's no guarantee he cocks up.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Roger said:

If this is going sour for the Tories I hope it's because on careful reflection enough people were repelled by her interchangability with UKIP and her bearhug with Brexit.

In reality though I suspect an outlier

I think that is wrong roger,it seems that the tories flirting with social conservatism has done more harm,it seems.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    May is making NET GAINs from 2015 Labour in tonight's poll, the Corbyn gains are mainly from LD 2015 voters and a few UKIP, it is those few UKIP May needs to target on a socially conservative platform, she has not lost any laissez-faire libertarians to Corbyn
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Calm down dear.

Why is that not showing in the polls anymore when it was before?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited May 2017

So glad I closed out my buy of Tory seats at 378 last week.

So glad I sold the Tories on SPIN at 393 last Saturday and 284 tonight

That means a Hung parliament, GET ON!!!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Calm down dear.

Keep telling yourself that, if it helps you sleep at night. I'm beginning to Jez proof my investments.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Calm down dear.

They are canvassing voters, and Corbyn is getting his big surge from non-voters?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Calm down dear.

Read the yougov tables please, she is still well ahead of Corbyn it is just Corbyn is winning over the few remaining leftie Liberals not much to do with May at all
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Calm down dear.

Keep telling yourself that, if it helps you sleep at night. I'm beginning to Jez proof my investments.
    Says the ex pat Tory poll worrier. Unspoofable.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

I'm loving it!

Total blind panic!! It's hilarious. There'll be much rowing back when the results are announced.

• Options
    The doorstep tells me this poll isn't right - an outlier.

And yet... it has tightened; the Tory campaign has been poor; and they've gambled everything on strong and stable Tezza, but she's been wooden and suffered a needless policy humiliation.

A campaigner she is not. I wonder if Tories regret she didn't have a training bout with Leadsome last year? She's ring rusty to say the least.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Also, the canvassing we did earlier wouldn't suggest Manchester will have much impact on votes. Only one person mentioned it at all, and that was actually in quite a negative way towards May: "we had no terrorist attacks in Britain for years, and suddenly she gets in and we have 2 within a few months". Which even I thought was a bit unfair!

The polling does show voters want a ban on travel to Syria and tougher law and order and internment policies
  • Options
    Many of us are no doubt overreacting, but I do think some are underreacting as well - I dare say that the idea of Corbyn as PM being so apparently ridiculous was in part a factor behind Labour being so far behind at the start, as many assumed he must be so awful it wasn't worth considering, or that the Tory score was boosted by people who made that initial calculation of May vs Corbyn. But now people seem to have reassessed a bit, and if things look close, maybe some will be 'Maybe Labour aren't so crazy now after all - they're doing even better than 2015, or 2010, it must be ok to vote for them again'.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

I think I'll be joining you.
    I'll be buying, remember sheep get slaughtered (Gordon Gekko)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic Labour on 38%? Does anyone believe this?

3 weeks ago does anyone believe Labour are really on 25%

2 weeks ago ................................................................30%

Last week ....................................................................35|%

Today .........................................................................38%

June 8th we demand a recount!!!

Only joking TMICIPM
  • Options
    I have a poor punditry crystal ball...and it says...that if the Tories win well...history will say they'd have lost but for Manchester...a Falklands Effect they'll say...
  • Options
    But YouGov has a panel of 800,000 people in the UK, and that has been developed over many years. You would need a huge number of people to take part in this secret infiltration operation, and it would take a long time. And what would it achieve, given that the discrepancy with phone polls would be obvious? And that only a tiny part of the electorate obsess over opinion polls anyway?

Not sure what happened to my previous answer but here goes again...

800,000 sounds impressive but the actual number of respondents will be very low and has been trending lower over time because people are less inclined to do surveys etc. The polling companies have to get a certain number of people to respond to make the poll "credible" so they will poll until they do. As I said before, standards in the industry have been cut because margins are under pressure as ad hoc research is seen as less valuable. Thus, it is likely that the polling companies are becoming reliant on a smaller number of active respondents.

The key is what I said about they need to get the numbers up to make a survey credible. For all the talk about random samples and high standards etc, if you are under time pressure and your response rate is dropping, you start relying on a smaller number of respondents, which makes it easier to influence.
  • Options
    MattyNethMattyNeth Posts: 60
    First time poster, long time lurker! Seems to me (and most of you as well) that Cons simply cannot gain a narrative, and Corbyn continues to ride the crest of the wave. 'Dementia tax' and now police numbers keeps the Lab on front foot. No one is talking about Labour's uncosted manifesto.

The gap could, and probably will, get closer in the next few days IMO. What a mess May has made of this.
  • Options

I'm loving it!

Total blind panic!! It's hilarious. There'll be much rowing back when the results are announced.

What did I tell you the other day, the Tories have only two moods.

Absolute complacency and blind panic.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    Calm down dear.

The polls showed undecideds going Tory before the campaign proper got going. Now they're showing LDs going Labour and new convert Tories largely flipping back to undecided.

Amongst Tory voters she remains popular, and amongst all voters she remains far more popular than any Tory leader in government for the past 20 years...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

I find myself finally in the position of being angry at basically every single party, truly angry.

Labour for choosing Corbyn and likely voting in their millions for him to be PM and Abbott Home Secretary, too many it would seem to get rid of him.
    Tories for running such a poor campaign Corbyn will remain in place and they'll have wasted months that could have been spent on Brexit negotiations for nothing
    LDs for failing to take advantage of either of the above to make any marked improvement

SNP seeing a 12% swing to the Tories on tonight's poll, by far the biggest swing of anywhere in the UK from 2015 is to Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservatives
  • Options
    Corbyn clearly worried that he might actually win!
  • Options

I'm loving it!

What did I tell you the other day, the Tories have only two moods.

Absolute complacency and blind panic.
    This is too true.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897

I wish the British public had such good judgement
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

It's not one poll. Perhaps it is overreaction to multiple polls showing a trend of big reductions in the Tory lead, but until there's evidence to the contrary - and so far the only evidence, from the campaign, is anecdote on the doorstep (admittedly the locals seemed to indicate a poor chance for Labour, but then as we are often told, people vote differently in locals vs national) - unless one just doesn't believe the polls, it seems apt to react to Labour surging into something approaching contention.
    Look at the share, not the lead.
  • Options
    MattyNeth said:

First time poster, long time lurker! Seems to me (and most of you as well) that Cons simply cannot gain a narrative, and Corbyn continues to ride the crest of the wave. 'Dementia tax' and now police numbers keeps the Lab on front foot. No one is talking about Labour's uncosted manifesto.

The gap could, and probably will, get closer in the next few days IMO. What a mess May has made of this.

Welcome, for some reasons it says you have zero posts. Spooky.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Ok but seriously, if there has not just been a polling cock up in the past week or so, how soft was the Tory support and Labour anti-corbynism? Tories are still polling high, really, albeit not as super high as they were, so have shed support, and if the polls are right then all the anti-corbyn labour people are returning with tails between their legs, and all the talk of vast Lab-UKIP_CON switchers was bullcrap.

The yougov figures show Corbyn is mainly winning 2015 LDs and some 2015 UKIP voters, the Tories are still making a net gain from Labour
    I would be very interested in seeing some polling evidence of whether tactical voting is returning. That could be the difference between 150 seat majority and a 25 seat one.
    A big return to tactical voting would explain the figures and invalidate the Baxter type models.
  • Options

I'm loving it!

I don't row back, I just admit to being a fool with a spine like a jacob's cream cracker when it comes to the strength of my convictions.

I truly have tried not to over estimate Labour this time, like I always do, but it is proving very hard when they are regularly polling in the mid 30s, making beating Ed M in vote share at least looking a given at this stage.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    woody662 said:

I've had a very profitable time on the spreads at this general election so far.

Bought the Tories at 378 closed out at 396.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Con Majority is now out to 1.15 on Betfair though, so worth a top up, and tomorrow we have the joy of Corbyn's speech blaming Britain for terrorism followed by him sitting down with Andrew Neil - someone who's seen everything before and isn't going to pull any punches.

Night all!

It isn't one poll, though. There's been a rash of polls showing a sharp tightening of the race.

• Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

That is not quite true . On this poll Labour gain around 42 2015 LD voters but lose around 39 2015 Lab voters to them . Conservatives gain around 43 2015 Labor voters but lose around 40 2015 Con voters to them . It is all marginal movements going in all directions except UKIP to everyone and a small net movement from Con to Lib Dem .
    The biggest net movement is over 50% of 2015 UKIP voters to Tory, as you say a smaller net movement from Labour to Tory and Tory to LD and LD to Labour and UKIP to Labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

SNP seeing a 12% swing to the Tories on tonight's poll, by far the biggest swing of anywhere in the UK from 2015 is to Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservatives
    Yeah, but any amount of success for the SNP is too much for my liking you see.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    edited May 2017

woody662 said:

Time to move your winning to some fiscal paradise!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

houndtang said:

I may be wrong, but I never got the impression they had clearly identified the source of error and fixed it. It seems more like a new best guess, but is the new guess really any more accurate than the old one? And I suppose if it's inaccurate it's just as likely to favour one party as the other.
  • Options
    BETTING POST:

People trusting this poll and trend could do worse than take the 6/4 on Corbyn surviving until 2018 with PP.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    May is making NET GAINs from 2015 Labour in tonight's poll, the Corbyn gains are mainly from LD 2015 voters and a few UKIP, it is those few UKIP May needs to target on a socially conservative platform, she has not lost any laissez-faire libertarians to Corbyn
    That is not true , see my post at 11.03
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618

If any of these things had happened to previous Labour leaders, they would have been crucified. But we have become so desensitized to Corbyn's extremism and incompetence that none of this seems to matter. Expectations are so low that he is being given an easy ride.

If in your view the Labour campaign has been poor, the Tory one so far has to be judged as truly dire, given the change in the polls since things kicked off.
    Other than a bounce when May called the GE, the Tory rating has been remarkably stable. As ever, look at the share, not the lead.
    Had you waited a few minutes before posting that (at 9.06pm)....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Quincel said:

dixiedean said:

May I profer some speculation? It's the economy, stupid! Many regular posters are retired, self-employed, or in stable, well-paid employment. (I know not all are of course!).
    Meanwhile, real wages are falling again, productivity is below 2008 levels. Low unemployment is masking these very basic facts. Many are in self-employment, on precarious short-term contracts, or on public sector pay freezes.
    Simply saying 5 more years, I am not Jeremy Corbyn, is not a very attractive message.
    Corbyn is at least addressing these concerns, rather as Trump did. It does not really matter if his solutions are not coherent. He is change.
    Pro-Leave people ought to get that.
    Still think majority of 100 for May.
    However, as was said on the night of Macron/Le Pen...that c.1/3rd of the vote are not going anywhere.

This is all well and good, but wasn't it true 6 months ago too. Poll leads were big then.
    No it wasn't. Inflation has only just seen a big spike and economic growth slowed from 0.7 in Q4 to 0.2 in Q1.
  • Options
    So, are we due any polls tomorrow... :smiley:
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

houndtang said:

I may be wrong, but I never got the impression they had clearly identified the source of error and fixed it. It seems more like a new best guess, but is the new guess really any more accurate than the old one? And I suppose if it's inaccurate it's just as likely to favour one party as the other.
    That's why i said 'hope'.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

I'm loving it!
    Quite. Whatever happened to 'Keep Calm and Carry On'...

The febrile atmosphere on here tonight might have something to do with a few bets placed at the start of the campaign?

Ave_It told everyone to calm down a few weeks ago and think about a 50 majority and he was right...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2017
    Tories ahead with men 45% to 32%.

Labour ahead with women 43% to 40%.

Labour have a stonking lead with 18-24-year-olds, but also a healthy 17-point lead with 25-49-year-olds (a HUGE swing with that age bracket since the start of the election). The Tories are still pretty much as strong as ever with the 65+ age bracket, a 48-point lead.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

I'm loving it!
    I'm just spitballing ideas out for potential threads I might write for Sunday.

I suspect this is not the weekend to write threads more than 6 hours in advance.
    Hey, TSE! Don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate PB Tories will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. WVAP! Fry half a city with this puppy! We got tactical smart missiles, RPGs, phased plasma pulse rifles! We got sonic electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

RobD: Knock it off, Sunil!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Near zero, Yougov shows the Tories have made a net gain from Labour since 2015 even tonight, the Corbyn gains are entirely due to over a third of 2015 LDs and a few UKIP switching to Labour and there are not enough left from them to squeeze
    Actually that means if the Tories lost the net gain they've made from Labour then there's every chance of a Labour lead!
    If they did not move last weekend they never will
  • Options

I'm loving it!

I still think TMICIPM maybe not by as much as she hoped
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A big return to tactical voting would explain the figures and invalidate the Baxter type models.
    Well, it all depends who the tactical vote is against.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Well I'm off. Tories need a narrative, as mattyneth says, and yet the only suggestion seems to be the one they keep saying will happen and make all the difference, bring up Corbyn's IRA stuff. Too late. Labour are bouncing right now, Tories need to knock them back, have some big leads restored, or they risk a further unravelling as it seems more bad news is to come.

In the meantime, I've taken some bets to try to cover the possibility Labour do even better than thought. 50-70 majority predicted at the start of the campaign for the Tories, still very plausible, but a bit less than that now just as likely as a bit over that.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Jonathan said:

The last Labour poll lead was fieldwork ending 26th April 2016.
    Last time Yougov had Labour on 38% was 1st October 2014. Crazy.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

blueblue said:

Snigger.
    That is not true , see my post at 11.03
    It is true actually, as even your own post admitted the Tories are making small net gains from Labour while Corbyn is making net gains from the LDs and picking up about 1.5 UKIP voters for every 5 going to the Tories
  • Options

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Night all!

Labour were struggling to maintain 30% when the locals happened, now almost 35%.
    Over same 3 weeks Tories have gone from ~46% to ~44%.

Hmm, I do see your point to some extent. But that still suggests a modest Tory win - and a fairly rapid trend against them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well I'm off. Tories need a narrative, as mattyneth says, and yet the only suggestion seems to be the one they keep saying will happen and make all the difference, bring up Corbyn's IRA stuff. Too late. Labour are bouncing right now, Tories need to knock them back, have some big leads restored, or they risk a further unravelling as it seems more bad news is to come.

I'm hoping the IFS manifesto analysis tomorrow provides a nice pivot onto manifesto costings. Although who knows, there may be a bigger whole in the Tory one!!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132

I'm loving it!

What's your prediction if I may ask ? You did get the referendum and IIRC 2015 correct.

Looking at the marginals there's a lot in your part of the country - 3 in Birmingham, 2 in Coventry, 2 in Walsall, 2 in Wolverhampton, 2 in Stoke, Dudley N and NuL.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

So, are we due any polls tomorrow... :smiley:

I'm not sure PB could take any more polls right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Anyway, I have an early flight tomorrow. Night all.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'm not sure PB could take any more polls right now.

Not sure I can sustain the wobble for 48 hours without renewed poll tightening.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225

TMA1 said:

rkrkrk said:

Can it really all be down to social care proposals?
    Older voters vote Tory, they also are the largest demographic.

They also like to leave their houses to their kids tax free.

Since Thatcher, every Tory leader has pushed the home owning democracy policy and raised IHT to ensure they don't get taxed on their houses.

Mrs May has just shat all over 40 years worth Tory orthodoxy.
    So where does increasing the minimum amount to be left from 24k to 100k fit in with this analysis? Or does analysys fail you when discussing Mrs May? I am left thinking you prefer Abbotts way with figures.
    Then your thinking is deficient.
    You have a funny way of showing it. You mention inheritance tax. Is it not labour who propose to raise IHT. Their Manifesto clearly shows that they would lower IHT threshold - ie collect more money of yoy when you are safely dead. And they make no suggestion that they make any allowance for inflation. But you seek to tar Mrs May with this brush wheras she and the Tories actually plan to inclrease the threshold so a couples allowance would be £1 million.
    Are you sure about your mathemetical abilities?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

woody662 said:

Time to move your winning to some fiscal paradise!
    I spent the winnings on these shoes

http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/gucci-jordaan-leather-loafers_5120-10004-0369654109/?previewAttribute=Wine
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Yeah, but any amount of success for the SNP is too much for my liking you see.
    Yes, well they will not disappear overnight but this would be the first real swing against the SNP in a national election since the referendum so would be significant
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    HYUFD

On Yougov yes but on Kantar TNS the swing is the other way ie from Tory to SNP. Indeed on Kantar the SNP win the lot - all 59.

The point is that on sub samples you stake your money and takes your choice. Just one thing however. It seems hardly likely that the Tory Party manifesto is collapsing everywhere except in Scotland!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Night, and I hope your flight path is smoother than the turbulent current polls.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

MaxPB said:

Night, and I hope your flight path is smoother than the turbulent current polls.
    They're fairly smooth - all in one direction.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The Corbyn blaming terror on Iraq etc story doesn't look too bad for him tbh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40053427
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    scotslass said:

HYUFD

On Yougov yes but on Kantar TNS the swing is the other way ie from Tory to SNP. Indeed on Kantar the SNP win the lot - all 59.

The point is that on sub samples you stake your money and takes your choice. Just one thing however. It seems hardly likely that the Tory Party manifesto is collapsing everywhere except in Scotland!

Yougov also did a full Scottish poll, not a subsample, which showed similar results and their final 2015 poll had the SNP on 49% so I will take them over a Kantar subsample. Indeed Yougov was far more accurate in its 2015 general election Scottish polling than its UK polling
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

I'm hoping the IFS manifesto analysis tomorrow provides a nice pivot onto manifesto costings. Although who knows, there may be a bigger whole in the Tory one!!
    The breakfast plan seems to be uncosted garbage, although it's small fry in the scheme of things. The IFS will almost certainly find some other holes, too. We'll see how serious they are.

The tories main problem is they've quietly conceded on austerity.
  • Options
    nunu said:

No, but you can point to France who opposed the Iraq war. It's a complex issue.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    It will be interesting to see if George Osborne puts aside his childish vendetta against the PM and goes after Corbyn.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Tactical voting in whose favour?

2 party voting seems to be returning, both parties are dramatically up leaving fewer third party votes to squeeze tactically.
    In 1997, the LibDems dropped 1% from their 1992 total to 16.8%. Yet they increased their seat count by almost 150%. Why? Tactical voting.

Last year in Scotland, the LibDems lost share in the constituency portion of the Holyrood vote, yet doubled their number of seats, and came close in Caithness, Sutherland & Ross, and managed an impressive 15% bump in Argyll & Bute. Why? Tactical voting.

If Labour voters in Twickenham, Richmond Park, Bath, Lewes, etc., choose to vote tactically for the LibDems - which they backed away from in 2015 - then those seats could be lost, even with the LDs on just 10%.
    Quite. Sarah Olney won the Richmond Park by election in part because almost all Labour supporters voted for her, unlike in 2015 when they certainly abandoned the LibDems.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

TMA1 said:

rkrkrk said:

Can it really all be down to social care proposals?
    Older voters vote Tory, they also are the largest demographic.

They also like to leave their houses to their kids tax free.

Since Thatcher, every Tory leader has pushed the home owning democracy policy and raised IHT to ensure they don't get taxed on their houses.

Mrs May has just shat all over 40 years worth Tory orthodoxy.
    So where does increasing the minimum amount to be left from 24k to 100k fit in with this analysis? Or does analysys fail you when discussing Mrs May? I am left thinking you prefer Abbotts way with figures.
    Then your thinking is deficient.
    You have a funny way of showing it. You mention inheritance tax. Is it not labour who propose to raise IHT. Their Manifesto clearly shows that they would lower IHT threshold - ie collect more money of yoy when you are safely dead. And they make no suggestion that they make any allowance for inflation. But you seek to tar Mrs May with this brush wheras she and the Tories actually plan to inclrease the threshold so a couples allowance would be £1 million.
    Are you sure about your mathemetical abilities?
    It's all about PERCEPTIONS.

You know it was a crap idea, because of the u-turn.

As Sir David Butler pointed out, when was the last time a party u-turned on their manifesto during a campaign.

As I pointed several times last week, I was quite supportive of principles behind the social care changes, they needed some refinement.
  • Options
    nunu said:

The moderate tone makes it seem more reasonable than the things his fellow travellers spew. It could be popular, god forbid - they'll have tested it, I have no doubt.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

I'm loving it!

I can't wait until the 8th June - to see whether these polls are really true, or whether we are heading for another polling disaster.

It's made what has been so far a very boring election a bit exciting.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225

This despite spending more on MI5 and the security services? Despite Corbyn wanting to leave NATO? Despite Corbyn speaking on behalf of terrorists wherever he can find them and urging us to wave a white flag in response to the black one?

Where do you get your ideas from? There seems to be little logic to them.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm expecting at least four polls on Saturday (and maybe as many as six)

All of whom I think will have done their fieldwork, Thursday and Friday.

Strap yourselves in!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

houndtang said:

That's why i said 'hope'.
    Sure. I just think a lot of caution is needed, considering the polls got the lead wrong by 6-7 points last time, and we don't really know whether the revised methodologies are any more accurate.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    "Let's root out the causes of terrorism..." says Muslim lady in QT audience

Too late
This discussion has been closed.