Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Download the Rallings and Thrasher Election 2015 book for FREE

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,185

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Completely OT. A producer friend has just moved to Dalian in China. He's just sent me this. I don't know whether anyone's been there but I was expecting something semi-primitive.

Eat your heart out Hartlepool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIvqhhzTBmY&feature=youtu.be

6.5 million people and nobody will have heard of it. A friend comes from there. It's one of the better parts of China.
    What is amazing about Roger's Dalian video is how many people are as ignorant as him. And I don't mean that pejoratively - I mean educated, clever people who just don't realize how advanced Asia is, and, in particular, China.

There are probably 30-50 cities like Dalian, in China, or there soon will be.

It is going to dominate the world and surpass America very soon, if it hasn't already. I may have opined thusly, before.
    Until China is actually prepared to put boots on the ground and launch military operations outside South East Asia and the Far East it will never truly dominate the world in the way the US has for the last 50-100 years, in both foreign and economic policy
    That is not the real issue - China is well on its way to develop a blue water navy and power projection capability.

What is at issue is whether economically China can become a leader rather than just a catcher-upper in economic and scientific issues. And within science, can it do the great quantum leap science, or just the rote filling in the gaps stuff.

I am far less convinced that China is ready to become a leader in any sense other than brute numbers.
    It already has the largest military in the world, it clearly has the capacity but when has it bothered to use it? Not since the Korean War and in a very limited capacity the Vietnam War as far as I can see. Russia projects itself far more on the world stage in terms of military intervention than China does.

I agree that China will certainly be the largest economy, not that surprising given it is the world's largest population but it needs innovation and original ideas too
    China invaded Tibet in 1960, fought India (successfully) in 1962 in the Himalayas and invaded Vietnam briefly in 1979.
    So it has been involved in no significant conflict for 38 years
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    I suspect the white house is all of those things, and more.
    I've stayed in a presidential suite at the King David (as a Times travel journo, not a president of America). Not sure if it was that precise suite, but it was pretty amazing.

Awesome views of the Old City.
    What is Jerusalem (and Israel in general) like? Did you ever have security concerns?

As a few of my family members (now passed unfortunately) have fought for the IDF, I should really make a point to visit.
    Jerusalem is amazing, and also disconcerting. I stayed with Palestinian friends in East Jerusalem and wandered about quite safely on foot for a few weeks with Fox jr. There are armed soldiers about, but mostly bored standing guard.

To stand on the Mount of Olives, to walk through Gethsemane, to see the Wall of Solomon's temple is a bit unreal. It is also quite beautiful and all the peoples helpful. The only people that gave me a hard time were airport security in Tel Aviv before I flew home with El Al. They didn't approve of where I had stayed.
    I (and along with about 10 others) did a runner from a restaurant in Jerusalem.....I still fell ashamed......

Sometimes the Brits abroad can be bloody obnoxious, thoughtless and the rest, especially when alcohol is concerned.....
    Sometimes the ones that live abroad can be also!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    tyson said:

I was just struck by a thought during my earlier reply...could you imagine the awfulness of having to spend some significant time with Theresa? What could she talk about? Harry Potter or Strong and Stable? Or shoes?

I think you may be surprised how much you both have in common, once you start talking.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

1 Westmorland & Lonsdale 51.5 - Won, likely to win again
    2 Orkney & Shetland 41.4 - Won, likely to win again
    3 Sheffield Hallam 40.0 - Won, probably going to win again
    4 Norfolk North 39.1 - Won, dead cert to lose
    5 Eastbourne 38.2 - Lost. Anyone know if there's a shot? Retread candidate, majority under 1000
    6 Twickenham 38.0 - Lost, probably lost again.
    7 Thornbury & Yate 37.9 Lost, probably lose again. (Webb's seat, not restanding)
    8 Leeds North West 36.8 Won, probable loss.
    9 Dunbartonshire East 36.3 Lost, possible win (lowest drop in percentage, but still not a dead cert by any means)
    10 Ross, Skye & Lochaber 35.9 Lost, probably lose again- long way back
    11 Lewes 35.9 Lost, probably lose again - no UKIP candidate
    12 Ceredigion 35.9 Won, probably win again.
    13 Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross 35.1 Loss, probably lose again - needs lots of tacticals.
    14 Carshalton & Wallington 34.9 Won, probable loss.
    15 Cambridge 34.9 - Loss, possible win. Smallest majority in country for Lab.

I expect Lamb to hold Norfolk North.
    Others tell me I am over pessimistic about his chances, although frankly the flatlining of the party nationally while the Tories increase has made me very doubful about them generally, particularly with Labour ticking up.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

I've just ordered Google Home for my bedroom, and Amazon Echo for my living room. I'm gonna do a one man Which consumer test.

Anyone got an idea who will win?

The one that's better at interpreting the utterings of whichever teenage inamorata with whom you are engaged in horizontal jogging :wink:
    Please don't indulge him.......
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

isam said:
    I can't believe I'm writing these words, but now I'm going to be encouraging my parents to vote UKIP. Who could resist mining the asteroids?
    is this for real?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    I've stayed in a presidential suite at the King David (as a Times travel journo, not a president of America). Not sure if it was that precise suite, but it was pretty amazing.

What is Jerusalem (and Israel in general) like? Did you ever have security concerns?

As a few of my family members (now passed unfortunately) have fought for the IDF, I should really make a point to visit.
    Jerusalem is amazing, and also disconcerting. I stayed with Palestinian friends in East Jerusalem and wandered about quite safely on foot for a few weeks with Fox jr. There are armed soldiers about, but mostly bored standing guard.

To stand on the Mount of Olives, to walk through Gethsemane, to see the Wall of Solomon's temple is a bit unreal. It is also quite beautiful and all the peoples helpful. The only people that gave me a hard time were airport security in Tel Aviv before I flew home with El Al. They didn't approve of where I had stayed.
    After my acquittal of rape, in my early 20s, I went to live in Egypt for a few months. While I was there, I went overland to Israel, and Jerusalem, and baptised myself in the Garden of Gethsemane with a bottle of Jordan water (i.e. a a bottle of mineral water, from the Jordan, bought in a kiosk)

It was very moving. Jerusalem was wonderful.

I went back recently and the main change was how much fatter the Israelis had got.
    Everyone in the world is fatter than they were 30 years ago. We are an increasingly obese world.

Possibly 50% of urban Saudi males have type 2 diabetes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,005
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:
    Kudos if he founded and sold a computer games business in the 1980s, as it would appear!

Computer games in those days mostly consisted of typing in pages and pages of Basic code from a magazine and then spending hours trying to debug it to find the inevitable typos.
    Ah, the days before hooking it up to your tape player and waiting 10-20 mins for it to load.
    Those were the days. Saving the work by recording on a tape recorder was the only way to avoid having to type it all in again the next time, as I guess you remember.

Oh for the days when you turned on your PC and all that you saw on the screen was:

>
    Using headless servers I still get that sometimes :D
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

New forecast from Stephen Fisher:

Con 386
    Lab 177
    LD 13
    Greens 1
    SNP 46
    PC 3

Con maj 123

https://electionsetc.com/

Dr Fisher's forecast today, compared with last week's shows the Tories down 5 seats, Labour up 7 seats and the SNP down 3 seats. Overall the Tories' majority is shown as having fallen from 132 to 123 seats. Over the past week their lead in the polls, which is one of Dr. Fisher's sources of information has declined by "just under 2%" to 16.5%.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

for HYUFD

You need to switch the argument around. How has America benefited from its imperial interventions since the 60s? You can argue that Korea was a necessary victory. But since then, it's mainly been trivial, or wasteful, or catastrophic.

Vietnam was wasteful, Iraq was catastrophic.

America is Britain in about 1900, or 1905. It still rules the world militarily, but others have used the peace it imposed, to get much richer and stronger, and they will soon overtake.

I am not arguing being the world's policeman is a way to get rich but you cannot truly be a global superpower if you do not come at least close to that status and not all US interventions have been disasters, Gulf War 1 for example or Panama and even Afghanistan eventually got rid of Bin Laden. Japan showed itself willing to intervene well beyond its borders in WW2 even if in the wrong way. Otherwise China will basically be a giant Switzerland with nuclear weapons
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

AndyJS said:

Con 386
    Lab 177
    LD 13
    Greens 1
    SNP 46
    PC 3

Con maj 123

Dr Fisher's forecast today, compared with last week's shows the Tories down 5 seats, Labour up 7 seats and the SNP down 3 seats. Overall the Tories' majority is shown as having fallen from 132 to 123 seats. Over the past week their lead in the polls, which is one of Dr. Fisher's sources of information has declined by "just under 2%" to 16.5%.
    I still just cant see this size of majority. I'm still on the thinking that a fair number of the Conservative votes are stacking up where they are wasted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Completely OT. A producer friend has just moved to Dalian in China. He's just sent me this. I don't know whether anyone's been there but I was expecting something semi-primitive.

6.5 million people and nobody will have heard of it. A friend comes from there. It's one of the better parts of China.
    What is amazing about Roger's Dalian video is how many people are as ignorant as him. And I don't mean that pejoratively - I mean educated, clever people who just don't realize how advanced Asia is, and, in particular, China.

It is going to dominate the world and surpass America very soon, if it hasn't already. I may have opined thusly, before.
    Until China is actually
    That is not the real issue - China is well on its way to develop a blue water navy and power projection capability.

What is at issue is whether economically China can become a leader rather than just a catcher-upper in economic and scientific issues. And within science, can it do the great quantum leap science, or just the rote filling in the gaps stuff.

I am far less convinced that China is ready to become a leader in any sense other than brute numbers.
    It already has the largest military in the world, it clearly has the capacity but when has it bothered to use it? Not since the Korean War and in a very limited capacity the Vietnam War as far as I can see. Russia projects itself far more on the world stage in terms of military intervention than China does.

I agree that China will certainly be the largest economy, not that surprising given it is the world's largest population but it needs innovation and original ideas too
    China invaded Tibet in 1960, fought India (successfully) in 1962 in the Himalayas and invaded Vietnam briefly in 1979.
    Notably all these wars were on the borders, I dont think they aspire to move away from the homeland.

Economic projection is all over africa like a rash.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Until China is actually

Notably all these wars were on the borders, I dont think they aspire to move away from the homeland.

China will clearly be the main economic rival for the US but in foreign policy terms it is Russia, not China, the US has to worry about
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

5 Eastbourne 38.2 - Lost. Anyone know if there's a shot? Retread candidate, majority under 1000
    7 Thornbury & Yate 37.9 Lost, probably lose again. (Webb's seat, not restanding)
    9 Dunbartonshire East 36.3 Lost, possible win (lowest drop in percentage, but still not a dead cert by any means)
    13 Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross 35.1 Loss, probably lose again - needs lots of tacticals.

Others tell me I am over pessimistic about his chances, although frankly the flatlining of the party nationally while the Tories increase has made me very doubful about them generally, particularly with Labour ticking up.
    I am in Norwich North and think it highly unlikely that UKIP vote will switch to the Tories there in the way that many assume. In the local elections on May 4th much of the former UKIP vote appeared to go LibDem.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

The key for the LibDem defences is whether the Tory vote share starts ticking down. The Labour VI rating is pretty much irrelevant since most of the LibDem ground campaigns will have squeezed the Labour vote down in the seats they are defending. If the Tory vote becomes soft, their prospects improve; if not, not so much.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:

After my acquittal of rape, in my early 20s, I went to live in Egypt for a few months. While I was there, I went overland to Israel, and Jerusalem, and baptised myself in the Garden of Gethsemane with a bottle of Jordan water (i.e. a a bottle of mineral water, from the Jordan, bought in a kiosk)

I went back recently and the main change was how much fatter the Israelis had got.
    Everyone in the world is fatter than they were 30 years ago. We are an increasingly obese world.

Absolutely and completely true. It ain't just the Yanks (or the Brits or the Germans or whatever). Almost everyone is getting fatter.

Gulf state Arabians are just HUGE. Australia has a massive obesity problem. I've seen the same blobbing effect in Sicily, and South Africa. Even the French are beginning to get a bit chubby.

Only the Japanese seem immune.
    Tuscans aren't...a summer on the beach is ample motivation to stay slim....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,154
    HYUFD said:

Otherwise China will basically be a giant Switzerland with nuclear weapons

That's absurd. China has already profoundly changed the entire world in the course of its industrialisation and the change is accelerating with huge strategic investments that place China at the centre of global economic power.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    Go back to the Middle Ages and relations between the Arabs and Europeans. Europe learnt everything from the Arabs: medicine, cartography, mathematics, philosophy, how to build castles, irrigation systems, universities, soft furnishings, puddings, romantic poetry... The Arabs didn't learn a single thing from the Europeans. A couple of centuries later the Europeans dominated the Arabs.

That's where we are with China and the West now. China has learnt so much from us. We have not learnt a single thing from them.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Otherwise China will basically be a giant Switzerland with nuclear weapons

That's absurd. China has already profoundly changed the entire world in the course of its industrialisation and the change is accelerating with huge strategic investments that place China at the centre of global economic power.
    Agreed...

In the next decades China sneezes and we'll all get a cold.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Until China is actually

China will clearly be the main economic rival for the US but in foreign policy terms it is Russia, not China, the US has to worry about
    Why? The biggest threats to US dominance will come from Chinese economic imperialism and Islamic terrorism. With both of those, Russia is a potential ally.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    Y0kel said:

AndyJS said:

Con 386
    Lab 177
    LD 13
    Greens 1
    SNP 46
    PC 3

Con maj 123

I still just cant see this size of majority. I'm still on the thinking that a fair number of the Conservative votes are stacking up where they are wasted.
    Dr Fisher does have an excellent record at GEs though TBF
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

Russia is a nuisance, but ultimately cannot win at the game it has chosen to play. The only real question is how much damage it will cause to itself in its ultimate capitulation. The odds of the Russian Federation going the same way as the USSR are steadily increasing.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:

Absolutely and completely true. It ain't just the Yanks (or the Brits or the Germans or whatever). Almost everyone is getting fatter.

Gulf state Arabians are just HUGE. Australia has a massive obesity problem. I've seen the same blobbing effect in Sicily, and South Africa. Even the French are beginning to get a bit chubby.

The Venezuelan government seem to have found a way to but the international obesity epidemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBf66wAMpVQ
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    Alistair said:

Great R and T resource!

I was musing on Glasgow constituencies. Labour are the Unionist party in greatest strength and did respectably in the council elections. It was the site of enormous SNP swings in 2015, often circa 40%. OK, it was pro Sindy but it wouldn't take a big swing away to the Unionist opposition for Labour to gain a seat or two. It is a place where Corbynism has a bit of appeal.

I would have thought South and SouthWest would be the most Unionist constituencies, and 14/1and 20/1 respectively for Labour. Ibrox is in SW.

Worth a small punt on an SNP falling tide?

With votes of 54% and 57% respectively that is some falling tide you'd need.

What might get you closer is differential turnout, Glasgow SW turnout was up 7% on 2010 but to be honest I see no realistic path towards the SNP losing those seats.
    East Lothian at 10-1 was as far as I was prepared to back Labour in Scotland
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Yougov keeping me busy today. 2 political surveys. Double dose of JC votes from me
    Also done our PV's today. Local Labour candidate guaranteed 2 votes from this household.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2017
    Barnesian said:

Interesting analysis.

My only comment is that I don't think Baxter picks up targeting or special circumstances and that makes the outcome less predictable. For instance Baxter has Richmond Park with a Tory majority of 32,000! Crazy.

I think the LibDems will get about 15 of the following seats (in rank order of probability according to the bookies) which reduces your Tory estimated majority to 64-114. I still think Tory majority of 75-99 is good value on Betfair at 10.

Westmorland and Lonsdale 95%
    Leeds North West 90%
    Ceredigion
    Sheffield, Hallam
    Orkney and Shetland 80%
    Cambridge
    EdinBorough West 70%
    Twickenham
    East Dunbartonshire 60%
    Bermondsey and Old Southwark
    Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
    North East Fife
    North Norfolk
    Cardiff Central
    Kingston and Surbiton 50%
    Carshalton and Wallington
    Lewes
    Richmond Park
    St Ives
    Bath
    Burnley
    Southport
    Birmingham, Yardley 40%
    Eastbourne
    Hornsey and Wood Green
    Ross, Skye and Lochaber
    St Albans
    Thornbury and Yate
    Portsmouth South 30%
    Vauxhall
    North Devon
    Cheltenham
    Brecon and Radnorshire
    Argyll and Bute
    Cheadle

The criticism of UNS is, of course, entirely valid - especially at the lower end of my predicted vote share range, I think it likely that differential swings would deliver rather more additional seats to the Tories in the provinces than they'd fail to pick up through stubborn Labour defences in London. Whilst I am no longer quite as confident as I was, I'm reasonably sure that the Conservatives will end up with a majority no lower than 80-90.

My initial projection, which I'm going to stick to, for the Liberal Democrats is 13; that was based on an assessment of their existing seats plus the most likely available marginals, which implies an approximately neutral position versus the Conservatives (the two parties each losing perhaps three seats to the other,) with the Lib Dems' net gains coming from Labour and the SNP. I really don't see them getting that far, and that's taking into account my assumption that they're doing a little bit better than the polls suggest. If the polls are accurate and they're back to where they started in 2015, then their final seat total could be in single figures again.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Go back to the Middle Ages and relations between the Arabs and Europeans. Europe learnt everything from the Arabs: medicine, cartography, mathematics, philosophy, how to build castles, irrigation systems, universities, soft furnishings, puddings, romantic poetry... The Arabs didn't learn a single thing from the Europeans. A couple of centuries later the Europeans dominated the Arabs.

That's where we are with China and the West now. China has learnt so much from us. We have not learnt a single thing from them.

To be fair, a lot of that knowledge was what the Arabs had learned from classical Greece and Rome, whilst Europe's christians were burning any books they could find from such pagan sources. Once the Arabic world's religion became more closed minded and ours gradually more open minded, things turned around. I don't see an obvious parallel with the modern Chinese.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

I've just ordered Google Home for my bedroom, and Amazon Echo for my living room. I'm gonna do a one man Which consumer test.

Alexa is amazing
    Isn't there a movie about a guy who falls in love with the voice of his electronic home assistant? (Given the wealth of literature on the subject, we all know humans are very keen on teaching machine intelligence to love)
    She?
    Isn't that H. Rider Haggard?

Or am I displaying an unseemly knowledge of Victorian pot-boilers?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    Hungry hippo Poles predict a Tory win
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

Hungry hippo Poles predict a Tory win

Are they officially recognised by the BPC..?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:

Jerusalem is amazwere airport security in Tel Aviv before I flew home with El Al. They didn't approve of where I had stayed.

True. Northern Italians are so vain - bella figura and all that - the pressure to stay thin supersedes the overwhelming global tendency to blob out, for now. South of Rome, they tend to be more *relaxed*. I liked the way the first series of Gomorrah showed this. Big fat Italian men.

On a more optimistic note, we are probably quite close to solving obesity, and then we can all eat what the F we like, even though no one will have a job.

I don't have a job and have just chomped 6 bags of Walkers cheese and onion crisps...and would happily eat some more if they were around...

Terrible....a month of being back in Blighty and am reduced to this....

I did enjoy them mind....
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Until China is actually

IIRC, it used to be thought that the one-child policy + preference for male children would eventually lead to the Chinese seeking wives from abroad, and that this seeking might be driven militarily.

Presumably the problem never materialised, or they resolved it some other way.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:

The Venezuelan government seem to have found a way to but the international obesity epidemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBf66wAMpVQ
    Unfortunately not! Obesity has become a problem there too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2735332/Venezuela-battles-obesity-amid-dearth-good-food.html

Venezuela rates 60th in the world for obesity in the most recent figures.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    Report from the field....visit to Bath today...supposedly a key Tory / Lib Dem marginal....is there an election on? It was hard to tell. A few and I mean a few placards in some gardens (one for the lib dem candidate that stepped down) and that was about it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    AnneJGP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Until China is actually

IIRC, it used to be thought that the one-child policy + preference for male children would eventually lead to the Chinese seeking wives from abroad, and that this seeking might be driven militarily.

Didn't a PBer once claim that China sent troops over the border into Russia to get shot in order to rebalance the male - female ratio? Might have been Tapestry?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    AnneJGP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

Roger said:

Until China is actually

It already has the largest military in the world

The combination of computer games, and prostitution mostly, I think.
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4522796/McDonnell-claims-winter-fuel-handout-despite-100-000-pay.html

We are in a weird paradoxal universe. 2 years ago, Labour argued it was unfair millionaires got it and Tories said it was better to be universal, now we have John the Marxist saying millionaires should keep it and Kim Jong May wanting to get it away from them.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:

Jerusalem is amazwere airport security in Tel Aviv before I flew home with El Al. They didn't approve of where I had stayed.
    After

Absolute Even the French are beginning to get a bit chubby.

True. Northern Italians are so vain - bella figura and all that - the pressure to stay thin supersedes the overwhelming global tendency to blob out, for now. South of Rome, they tend to be more *relaxed*. I liked the way the first series of Gomorrah showed this. Big fat Italian men.

On a more optimistic note, we are probably quite close to solving obesity, and then we can all eat what the F we like, even though no one will have a job.

I don't have a job and have just chomped 6 bags of Walkers cheese and onion crisps...and would happily eat some more if they were around...

I recommend a much younger girlfriend, as an antidote. If you may permit. You are forced to stay relatively thin, out of the intense fear they will leave you for some handsome young dude, at any moment.

Sean, clearly young and handsome aren't their priorities....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    Charles said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Alexa is amazing
    Isn't there a movie about a guy who falls in love with the voice of his electronic home assistant? (Given the wealth of literature on the subject, we all know humans are very keen on teaching machine intelligence to love)
    She?

I think I meant 'Her'
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Charles said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Alexa is amazing
    She?

Yes, and Yes.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

To be fair, a lot of that knowledge was what the Arabs had learned from classical Greece and Rome, whilst Europe's christians were burning any books they could find from such pagan sources. Once the Arabic world's religion became more closed minded and ours gradually more open minded, things turned around. I don't see an obvious parallel with the modern Chinese.
    Also pre-Islamic Mid-Eastern sects contributed to Arab knowledge.

For instance, Arab astronomer Al-Battani probably had Sabian ancestry, as evidenced by his full name:

Abū ʿAbd Allāh Muḥammad ibn Jābir ibn Sinān al-Raqqī al-Ḥarrānī aṣ-Ṣābiʾ al-Battānī

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Battani

The Sabians were noted for their "Pagan religion" and "star idolatory", but were tolerated for several centuries by the Caliphs, until Islam took a more fundamentalist turn by the 13th century. Harran in Turkey was the Sabians' centre, not a million miles from 12,000 year old Gobekli Tepe. It is thought that the Sabians' religious texts were the Hermetica, which found their way into the hands of the Medici clan in 1460, kick-starting the Renaissance...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

I disagree. Modern China combines personal competitiveness and generally high although patchy standards of education with very powerful social organisation. An example. Beijing decided to upgrade its subway system to tie in with the Beijing Olympics in 2008. It built 16 subway lines in ten years. How long has the single Crossrail project taken so far? It's not that we don't have subways. The scale is completely different.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

calum said:

After

Absolute Even the French are beginning to get a bit chubby.

I recommend a much younger girlfriend, as an antidote. If you may permit. You are forced to stay relatively thin, out of the intense fear they will leave you for some handsome young dude, at any moment.

Thanks for the advice.....after serious thought I'll give it a pass....

I don't know which would be worse for me...a job, or a younger girl?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

An example. Beijing decided to upgrade its subway system to tie in with the Beijing Olympics in 2008. It built 16 subway lines in ten years. How long has the single Crossrail project taken so far? It's not that we don't have subways. The scale is completely different.

The expansion of the Moscow metro is also pretty spectacular at the moment. It's understandable why they see the attraction of China as a political model.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    SeanT said:

To think that China can't innovate like Japan - or the West - you have to believe they are genetically inferior, or culturally crippled. If the Chinese were culturally crippled then the Japanese (with an even more hidebound, hierarchical culture) would be technologically primitive and stuck in the feudal past. Obviously they are not.

Which means you have to fall back on some dodgy genetic argument: Chinese people are racially more regimented and dull and obedient, or somesuch bollocks. If anything, genetics points in the opposite direction: East Asians - especially coastal Chinese, Japanese, Koreans - have a slightly but noticeably higher average IQ than white Europeans.

The idea China can't dominate is just utter bullshit. They just won't dominate in the western way we are used to. They won't invade and conquer like Britain, France, Spain, America (and their language and culture won't export so easily). It's not how they operate. China never needed or wanted an empire, it is an empire in itself.

But economically and geopolitically will China predominate? Oh yes. Yes indeed. The signs are all around us, already.

Not at all, I just don't think that they will have the necessity to innovate, they have an almost unlimited pool of cheap labour coming from the Chinese countryside. Companies have no incentive to invest and increase productivity per worker in that situation. It is the same reason why British industry is so crap at innovating. We have a few world leaders but in reality British business and management is pretty awful, the solution for the last 15 years has been to import more Eastern Europeans to do lowly paid jobs (something that is shown in our supposedly paradoxical low unemployment rate and anaemic pay growth rate).

I didn't say they are incapable of doing so, just that there is no need to do so. Which is why they won't.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4522796/McDonnell-claims-winter-fuel-handout-despite-100-000-pay.html

We are in a weird paradoxal universe. 2 years ago, Labour argued it was unfair millionaires got it and Tories said it was better to be universal, now we have John the Marxist saying millionaires should keep it and Kim Jong May wanting to get it away from them.

Tories say 90% will lose it.

Circa 11 million losers
  • Options
    I know how much we love to talk about China's world domination....There is an interesting guy who does youtube videos about life in China. He is originally from South Africa, but lived there for many years, speaks the language fluently etc etc etc. Some really interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza

He also has some other channels, one where him and a guy from the US ride motorbikes around China and discuss day to day issues.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Alexa is amazing
    She?

Yes, and Yes.
    At least I've never finished a Georgette Heyer, Mr B!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

for HYUFD

You need to switch the argument around. How has America benefited from its imperial interventions since the 60s? You can argue that Korea was a necessary victory. But since then, it's mainly been trivial, or wasteful, or catastrophic.

America is Britain in about 1900, or 1905. It still rules the world militarily, but others have used the peace it imposed, to get much richer and stronger, and they will soon overtake.

I am not arguing being the world's policeman is a way to get rich but you cannot truly be a global superpower if you do not come at least close to that status and not all US interventions have been disasters, Gulf War 1 for example or Panama and even Afghanistan eventually got rid of Bin Laden. Japan showed itself willing to intervene well beyond its borders in WW2 even if in the wrong way. Otherwise China will basically be a giant Switzerland with nuclear weapons
    You can dominate the world by trade. Indeed it is probably the best way. People always need your custom and your goods, they will eagerly seek them out, unlike your troops and drones, which they loathe and abhor.

As America shrinks - relatively - China will be forced to do more global police-work, to secure their trade routes, but I doubt they will ever seek imperial status. And very sensible, too. They will nonetheless be the pre-eminent power, until India or the Martians take over, etc
    People buy a lot of Chinese goods because they are cheap, they still tend to go elsewhere for quality and until China is really willing to gets its hands dirty in the Middle East when needed it will not be a true superpower
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

To think that China can't innovate like Japan - or the West - you have to believe they are genetically inferior, or culturally crippled. If the Chinese were culturally crippled then the Japanese (with an even more hidebound, hierarchical culture) would be technologically primitive and stuck in the feudal past. Obviously they are not.

Which means you have to fall back on some dodgy genetic argument: Chinese people are racially more regimented and dull and obedient, or somesuch bollocks. If anything, genetics points in the opposite direction: East Asians - especially coastal Chinese, Japanese, Koreans - have a slightly but noticeably higher average IQ than white Europeans.

The idea China can't dominate is just utter bullshit. They just won't dominate in the western way we are used to. They won't invade and conquer like Britain, France, Spain, America (and their language and culture won't export so easily). It's not how they operate. China never needed or wanted an empire, it is an empire in itself.

But economically and geopolitically will China predominate? Oh yes. Yes indeed. The signs are all around us, already.

Not at all, I just don't think that they will have the necessity to innovate, they have an almost unlimited pool of cheap labour coming from the Chinese countryside. Companies have no incentive to invest and increase productivity per worker in that situation. It is the same reason why British industry is so crap at innovating. We have a few world leaders but in reality British business and management is pretty awful, the solution for the last 15 years has been to import more Eastern Europeans to do lowly paid jobs (something that is shown in our supposedly paradoxical low unemployment rate and anaemic pay growth rate).

I didn't say they are incapable of doing so, just that there is no need to do so. Which is why they won't.
    Supply of cheap labour is clearly not a sufficient explanation for their success. India has almost as many people but its GDP per capita is 5 times lower.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Has anyone seen a worse bet than Betway's 66/1 for a Lib Dem majority?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

I disagree. Modern China combines personal competitiveness and generally high although patchy standards of education with very powerful social organisation. An example. Beijing decided to upgrade its subway system to tie in with the Beijing Olympics in 2008. It built 16 subway lines in ten years. How long has the single Crossrail project taken so far? It's not that we don't have subways. The scale is completely different.
    We have to face the frightening possibility that China may - I emphasise may - have discovered a better form of political organisation than liberal democracy. And that is: one party, authoritarian, state-directed capitalism.

Singapore pioneered this, and is now perhaps the richest city on earth.

If the Chinese repeat the Singaporean miracle, then all bets are off.

I wonder how many Remainers now wish we had a Chinese/Singaporean system, where the government can simply over-rule the will of the people, if it is deemed unwise.
    Eventually too many people realise that having loads of money and no freedom is shit.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    isam said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

calum said:
    The Scotch aren't grown up and mature enough to handle power yet.

For some unknown reason the adults have given them matches.
    It may appear pedantic, Geoff, but it's a pet hate of mine. Scotch is a drink, the people of Scotland are Scottish.

I don't know why it jars with me - I haven't any Scottish blood in me, as far as I know - but it does.

Cheers.
    "Scotch" meaning whisky is an Americanism. In GB it is called "whisky". OTOH I think scotch eggs are scotch, not Scottish.
    Yes, I knew about scotch/whisky, but its an Americanism that is widely recognised here. Not sure about scotch eggs, or scotch mist for that matter, but no way I'm having Scotch for the people of Scotland!
    Quote from Theuniondivvie 1151 yesterday: "The need to avoid the possibility of some ordinary Scotch person being seen to tell Tessy to giruy is positively neurotic."

That's being ironical
    It's his strange, Hibernian, sense of humour
    I wouldn't cancel afternoon school to bury that little...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

We have to face the frightening possibility that China may - I emphasise may - have discovered a better form of political organisation than liberal democracy. And that is: one party, authoritarian, state-directed capitalism.

I wonder how many Remainers now wish we had a Chinese/Singaporean system, where the government can simply over-rule the will of the people, if it is deemed unwise.
    As China's middle class grows and becomes more educated I am not sure they will tolerate lacking the freedoms of the West, even Singapore has a democracy, just one party tends to win a majority of seats in most elections
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Supply of cheap labour is clearly not a sufficient explanation for their success. India has almost as many people but its GDP per capita is 5 times lower.
    Where did I say that?
  • Options
    @SeanT...if you are horny, and a middle aged man with money and a bit of confidence you can shag for Britain...I have some very good friends who fit that type...

I (sort of) feel sorry for the girls...but they know the score....But, seriously comrade you do not have to brag about it. Could you imagine being cornered at a party by DJT and hearing story upon story about his cockmanship....not pleasant....boring and sad....my stories of chomping down a six pack of Walkers cheese and onions is far more interesting....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

For instance, Arab astronomer Al-Battani probably had Sabian ancestry, as evidenced by his full name:

Abū ʿAbd Allāh Muḥammad ibn Jābir ibn Sinān al-Raqqī al-Ḥarrānī aṣ-Ṣābiʾ al-Battānī

The Sabians were noted for their "Pagan religion" and "star idolatory", but were tolerated for several centuries by the Caliphs, until Islam took a more fundamentalist turn by the 13th century. Harran in Turkey was the Sabians' centre, not a million miles from 12,000 year old Gobekli Tepe. It is thought that the Sabians' religious texts were the Hermetica, which found their way into the hands of the Medici clan in 1460, kick-starting the Renaissance...
    I've been to Harran!!! Nearby Sogmatar, a centre of Sabian paganism and moon-worship and human sacrifice is one of the most intense, unsettling and moodily menacing places on earth.

Me too. It is the site of the battle of Carrhae (53 BC) where Crassus got wiped out by the Parthians.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    tyson said:

Six packets of Crisps in one sitting? Six?

One packet of cheese and onion is enough to make me feel sick nevermind six!!!!!!

And think if the salt that'll be coursing through your veins right around now... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Where did I say that?
    You said that their 'almost unlimited pool of cheap labour' means that they do not have the necessity to innovate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

I've been to Harran!!! Nearby Sogmatar, a centre of Sabian paganism and moon-worship and human sacrifice is one of the most intense, unsettling and moodily menacing places on earth.

I think you said you also visited Gobekli Tepe itself? I only know about it through Graham Hancock's writings, but still a fascinating place. Has one of the earliest representations of Scorpio, on Pillar 43!
  • Options
    Schards said:

Has anyone seen a worse bet than Betway's 66/1 for a Lib Dem majority?

Do they do odds for PM Nuttall calling the Queen "Natalie"?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Remember in China, no free healthcare, no real pensions, the courts are a disaster, apparently they are as keen to threaten to sue each other in America (except with the winner being who has the most corrupt friends in high places).

I think people might at some point think that stuff like some healthcare and pension might be what they would like, but they are bloody expensive.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

for HYUFD

You can dominate the world by trade. Indeed it is probably the best way. People always need your custom and your goods, they will eagerly seek them out, unlike your troops and drones, which they loathe and abhor.

As America shrinks - relatively - China will be forced to do more global police-work, to secure their trade routes, but I doubt they will ever seek imperial status. And very sensible, too. They will nonetheless be the pre-eminent power, until India or the Martians take over, etc
    Their principal military objectives are to shunt America out of the China Sea and the Bay of Bengal, to keep their trade from being blockaded through the Malacca Strait and so their surrounding area is theirs. They have ambitious programmes for satellite warfare (a byproduct of which is a programme to land a man on the moon) .
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Where did I say that?
    You said that their 'almost unlimited pool of cheap labour' means that they do not have the necessity to innovate.
    But what does that have to do with their general success elsewhere? I didn't make any connection, I'm not sure why you are. But then you are genuinely deluded so I'm not surprised that your reading comprehension is quite poor.
  • Options

isam said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

calum said:
    The Scotch aren't grown up and mature enough to handle power yet.

For some unknown reason the adults have given them matches.
    It may appear pedantic, Geoff, but it's a pet hate of mine. Scotch is a drink, the people of Scotland are Scottish.

I don't know why it jars with me - I haven't any Scottish blood in me, as far as I know - but it does.

Cheers.
    "Scotch" meaning whisky is an Americanism. In GB it is called "whisky". OTOH I think scotch eggs are scotch, not Scottish.
    Yes, I knew about scotch/whisky, but its an Americanism that is widely recognised here. Not sure about scotch eggs, or scotch mist for that matter, but no way I'm having Scotch for the people of Scotland!
    Quote from Theuniondivvie 1151 yesterday: "The need to avoid the possibility of some ordinary Scotch person being seen to tell Tessy to giruy is positively neurotic."

That's being ironical
    It's his strange, Hibernian, sense of humour
    I wouldn't cancel afternoon school to bury that little...
    :smile:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    edit
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

47 LD lost deposits in Scotland in 2015 the books says .

How many in England and Wales? :lol:
    As a percentage of the total? Fewer.
    I meant the absolute number. 200+?
    I didn't realise it was that many! Bloody hell...
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

Report from the field....visit to Bath today...supposedly a key Tory / Lib Dem marginal....is there an election on? It was hard to tell. A few and I mean a few placards in some gardens (one for the lib dem candidate that stepped down) and that was about it.

According to placards the Greens are apparently going to storm Ledbury, Hefrefordshire....one solitary and hopeless (in the electoral sense) LD poster, No Tory posters,. I am still waiting foR the traditional 3 big UKIP houses in the village to put up their placards. Nothing as yet, which may be some sort of straw in the wind.

Cons will win with 65%
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599
    SeanT said:

Big Corporate?
  • Options

Remember in China, no free healthcare, no real pensions, the courts are a disaster, apparently they are as keen to threaten to sue each other in America (except with the winner being who has the most corrupt friends in high places).

I think people might at some point think that stuff like some healthcare and pension might be what they would like, but they are bloody expensive.

Absolutely, eventually the workers will tire of working for peanuts and their kids won't want to do the jobs their parents did (and the parents won't want it either). On the one hand you have urban China which is very smart, wealthy and successful, on the other there is the underclass that urban China is built on the back of. The odd situation in China is that the political powers will dump urban China in anotjer Cultural Revolution to hold onto power as they know it lies with the proles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

As China's middle class grows and becomes more educated I am not sure they will tolerate lacking the freedoms of the West, even Singapore has a democracy, just one party tends to win a majority of seats in most elections
    There is undoubtedly an element of that. Politicians in the better run cities are acutely aware of public opinion. In fact some of the discussions on social care and how to fund it are very similar to what we are seeing in the UK election.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

The spooks are definitely winners...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    Weekend polls will be very interesting...
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

Eventually too many people realise that having loads of money and no freedom is shit.
    People don't crave freedom - they crave security and continuity. That's why Chinese tourists descend on Kidlington (!!!) for a taste of the ancient verities fast disappearing back home:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-37820663
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

Do they, though? I genuinely wonder if this is true, any more. I reckon 97.8% of people on earth would be very very very happy to live in Singapore: rich, boring, autocratic, hugely safe, great healthcare, world class shopping, brilliant scuba diving nearby.

I wonder if we in the West over-estimate the appeal of our liberal democratic systems. In the eyes of others.
    Singapore does have a democracy though, in the last general election there in 2015 opposition parties won almost 40% in the seats they contested and won seats in the Singapore Parliament even if the PAN still won a large overall majority. That is more than can be said for China
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_general_election,_2015
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

Do they, though? I genuinely wonder if this is true, any more. I reckon 97.8% of people on earth would be very very very happy to live in Singapore: rich, boring, autocratic, hugely safe, great healthcare, world class shopping, brilliant scuba diving nearby.

I wonder if we in the West over-estimate the appeal of our liberal democratic systems. In the eyes of others.
    You realise that Singapore has the vote and it is a proper democracy, right? They even introduced presidential elections because the parliamentary ones were too one sided. The problem(?) in Singapore is that the governing party doesn't fuck up so the opposition doesn't get a look in, not that there's no democracy.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Blow me down with a feather....

MI5 opened file on Jeremy Corbyn amid concerns over his IRA links

The revelations come as a Telegraph investigation reveals Mr Corbyn’s full links to the IRA, including his support for one of the Balcombe Street gang, who waged a 14-month bombing campaign across south-east England, and his links to the bomb maker believed to have been behind the Hyde Park and Regents Park devices.

Mr Corbyn also shared a platform with a wanted IRA killer and John McDonnell, his shadow Chancellor, claimed that the pair of them used to “pin people against the wall” in the House of Commons to lobby them on behalf of Ireland, can be disclosed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/19/exclusive-mi5-opened-file-jeremy-corbyn-amid-concerns-ira-links/

Who could possibly be running the Tory GE campaign?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

One packet of cheese and onion is enough to make me feel sick nevermind six!!!!!!

And think if the salt that'll be coursing through your veins right around now... :open_mouth:
    Thanks..I needed to be told that....I really did.....

• Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

There is undoubtedly an element of that. Politicians in the better run cities are acutely aware of public opinion. In fact some of the discussions on social care and how to fund it are very similar to what we are seeing in the UK election.
    Indeed, you cannot ignore the general tide of public opinion for too long
  • Options

Absolutely correct. Most people dont care so long as they are generally left alone if they keep their noses clean and don;t make a fuss and aren't subject to random and capricious state action. ie Singapore. So long as the rules are understood and they know where the lines are, and can do their best within them, even without democracy most people are, in my view, generally content.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Wasn't the deported grandmother that Buzzfeed got all over excited about actually found to be rather keen on living in Singapore rather than Britain for all those years because of a rather nice government subsidized flat?

You don't get those in a China. Instead there are whole ghost towns with nobody living, while the poor and homeless are told not for you.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I was just struck by a thought during my earlier reply...could you imagine the awfulness of having to spend some significant time with Theresa? What could she talk about? Harry Potter or Strong and Stable? Or shoes?</blockquote

she has achieved more than you have or ever will do so i expect there might be the odd interesting conversation.

Personally i find the ideas and thoughts of people with different views to myself quite interesting.

Or are you too bitter and twisted to listen to anyone else's views other than the echo chamber of your comfort zone?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jeneps: White House lawyers have begun researching impeachment procedures to prepare for "distant, unlikely" occurrence -@evanperez on CNN
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

for HYUFD

You can dominate the world by trade. Indeed it is probably the best way. People always need
    People buy a lot of Chinese goods because they are cheap, they still tend to go elsewhere for quality and until China is really willing to gets its hands dirty in the Middle East when needed it will not be a true superpower
    This is simply delusional. You're basically arguing that, until China is ready to get involved in a calamitous, unwinnable imperial Middle East war, it cannot be considered as a superpower.

Have you considered the possibility that China's leaders have looked at recent American history and thought: ooh, no, don;t go there, costs a trillion dollars, and ends in disaster?

Why the F should China invade Kuwait or Iraq or Israel or anywhere? It can dominate through trade. It has no desire to export a political system, like America. Its mindset is entirely different. And it has no Jewish lobby forcing it into unwise wars.

As for the Mid East, China has invested hugely in renewables - where it leads the world. It will soon have no interest in Baghdad - or Jerusalem.

http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2017/01/06/china-five-year-plan-energy-solar-record-2016/
    As I said China may lead economically but if it becomes the world no 1 sooner or later ISIS or its successors may well start to turn their attention to its cities too (there are 23 million Muslims in China) and if China does not tackle the problem at source it could soon find it difficult to control
  • Options
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

Thanks..I needed to be told that....I really did.....

Who wants to live long in May world?

• Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    edited May 2017
    I've been pondering all evening the Dallian video that Roger posted. Here's the link again for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIvqhhzTBmY

I came to two conclusions:

1. The rate of social change must be a profound psychological challenge to the commonfolk, who were raised in the time of Chairman Mao and the Cultural Revolution. See my comment earlier about tourists in Kidlington.

2. The vast array of public and private wealth portrayed in the video is dependent on fiscal and banking systems that manage to balance private equity and public debt in a perpetually harmonious relationship. Let's hope for all our sakes that they continue to do so.

With that, bon nuit.
  • Options
    Well of course they have - the Tories have such a lead with them they can take the risk to upset them in the name of good policy, and Labour doing so badly they cannot afford not to be giving freebies to pensioners, as getting those most likely to vote to turn back to them by even a few percent will save many seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Surely the BBC programme Three Girls will be a negative for Labour in Rochdale?

A bit strange it's being shown during an election
  • Options
    And why would Corbyn be an improvement even if the Tories are bastards would be my obvious question
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Singapore's People's Action Party has an interesting logo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Action_Party
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Press Association estimated declaration times, although usually it's not particularly accurate. Only 3 seats not counting overnight, in Berwick, Wansbeck and Blyth Valley. The last two could be surprisingly close if the local elections are anything to go by.

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/general_2017_by_time.php
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I've been pondering all evening the Dallian video that Roger posted. Here's the link again for anyone interested:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIvqhhzTBmY

I came to two conclusions:

1. The rate of social change must be a profound psychological challenge to the commonfolk, who were raised in the time of Chairman Mao and the Cultural Revolution. See my comment earlier about tourists in Kidlington.

2. The vast array of public and private wealth portrayed in the video is dependant on a fiscal and banking system that manages to balance private equity and public debt in a perpetually harmonious relationship. Let's hope for all our sakes that it continues to do so.

With that, bon nuit.

The guy I linked below talks a lot about the "forgotten generation" and how they really don't have a clue about modern society and also the cultural idea that because something is free you don't have to take all of it.

He tells a story of the government putting in toilet paper into toilets around more touristy areas and within days all these old folk would arrive early in the morning, empty all the toilet roll into carrier bags and then try and sell it on.
  • Options
    For a communist country I have never encountered a more focused, avaricious bunch of capitalist bastards in my chuff than the Chinese.

You can just sense the emerging power in the country
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Weekend polls will be very interesting...
    Labour within 10, their best chance for it. They had that with at least one company shortly before the campaign started, so despite the regular 15+ leads it would not be impossible to see it once more off the back of this manifesto, which has been poorly received (which having read all three, is not some disaster, though despite not revealing much costed detail, is the most open about challenges and reducing things), being unpopular for some things on the right and taking away gray vote bribes.
  • Options

For a communist country I have never encountered a more focused, avaricious bunch of capitalist bastards in my chuff than the Chinese.

You can just sense the emerging power in the country

These days aren't they more of Chinese National Party? Though obviously they cannot change the name to that.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Danny565 said:

twitter.com/stephenkb/status/865675396477583360

MI5 having a file on Jahadi Jez and John the Marxist seems like quite big news to me....I presume that is what you are talking about?
This discussion has been closed.