Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at Labour’s share of the vote in the polls and what do

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026

Whilst I support the principle of the social care tax I do worry about what it will do to the polls.

I remember the polling surge the Tories got following their IHT policy announcement at the 2007 conference.

Voters like the idea of giving their houses to their kids, free of any taxes.

Yep. I guess they view the risk is minimal given the polls and state of Labour.

Has the Dementia Tax cut-through? It has in my little world.
    You're not in North Cornwall I hope :p
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,835

OGH (and the Independent) havent been paying attention:

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/865473214788411392

We will legislate to ensure that a form of identification must be presented before voting

Where does it say 'photo'?

This is the standard right wing way (see GOP) to impede votes of those you fear are not for you.

Are you a paid apologist for the TMay regime?
    Point us to the bit in the manifesto that says - as you and the Independent claim - 'photo-id'.

Who are you lying on behalf of?
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Just cannot see Angus Robertson (Moray) or Pete Wishart (Perth and North Perthshire) being defeated even if a uniform swing to the Tories would take them out. The SNP have held the former seat for 30 years and the latter for over 20 years.

Both are favourites with the bookies to win now, although I am on both of them at evens or shades of odds against.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Sean_F said:

Interesting to see what happens when people start realising what this means.

"Let’s imagine two 80-year-old widows who live next-door to each other somewhere in the south of England. Their properties are both worth £312,000 and they have another £10,000 in other assets, so a total of £322,000 each. Happily, they both live till 95. Unhappily, one of them suffers dementia for 10 years, and soon needs round-the-clock care. The other widow is healthy and reasonably active until the very end of her life.

Under the new Conservative plans, the one who is healthy until the end of her life will leave her estate completely intact to her loved ones. The one who needs all that care, however, will be billed up to £222,000. "
    There are worse fates than inheriting £100,000. I hope to leave something to my heirs, but I've no qualms about using my assets to provide for myself in old age.
    Indeed.

My total inheritances have amounted to a few thousand, from several different people.

Nor do I know anyone who's ever had one of these big multi hundred thousand pound inheritances so casually talked about here.

Now if my parents were to die today I might get somewhere in six figures but I've never factored that into my lifetime financial planning.

Do people really plan their lives on the basis that at some unspecified point of the future they're going to inherit hundreds of thousands ?

Perhaps they do in London and southern England.
    Not the ones I come across. In fact the recent trend I've noted has been for those in their 40s to complain about profligate parents who need bailing out. The money seems to be flowing upwards through the generations rather than down in some quarters.
    Really? The world will have ended if I ever needed to bail my parents out.

To some extent, my parents are still subsidising my life indirectly.
    You're Asian, no Asian parent would ever accept a bail out from their kids.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Whilst I support the principle of the social care tax I do worry about what it will do to the polls.

I remember the polling surge the Tories got following their IHT policy announcement at the 2007 conference.

That is a fair point - I expect a poll weakening - but then I never expected a majority of much more than 50+ and even now I think I was too pessimistic.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Death from life expiring and IHT issues = will happen
    Get dementia and need long term care at home = don't expect to happen to me

One shifts votes, one slightly irritates people but doesn't shift votes. Imo.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"Let’s imagine two 80-year-old widows who live next-door to each other somewhere in the south of England. Their properties are both worth £312,000 and they have another £10,000 in other assets, so a total of £322,000 each. Happily, they both live till 95. Unhappily, one of them suffers dementia for 10 years, and soon needs round-the-clock care. The other widow is healthy and reasonably active until the very end of her life.

Under the new Conservative plans, the one who is healthy until the end of her life will leave her estate completely intact to her loved ones. The one who needs all that care, however, will be billed up to £222,000. "
    Who is that unfair to? Not the dementia sufferer, who - like all of us - will have the comfort of knowing they will get care for the rest of their life if they are unfortunate enough to succumb. Her loved ones? She could just as easily be pissed off that they don't want to care for her and leave her estate to the local cats charity. Why should they assume that their inheritance should be delivered gross, without the cost of the health of their dear departed being first met?

Seems to me this is less a Dementia Tax, more a Grasping Relations Tax....

The grasping relations could always choose to look after Aunt Agatha themselves rather than pack her off into a care home if they want to protect their investment.
    Was that flippant? Any idea how difficult it is to look after someone with advanced dementia or Parkinson's?

At some point it becomes a job for a professional, usually in a residential setting - for safety reasons as much as anything else.
    Yes, I have quite a good idea of how difficult this can be. It's noteworthy that husbands and wives in their 80s usually nevertheless make the effort while children in their 50s too often don't.
    If those children are in full time employment that would in any case be impossible.
    If they're in F/T employment good for them - hopefully they won't be too bothered about inheriting vast sums of unearned wealth then.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211

I think the more Remain South East will now see the Tories lose seats net to the LDs, probably Lewes and Oxford West and Abingdon at least and the same will be true in wealthy parts of Remain London like Kingston upon Thames and Twickenham and Zac will lose again in Richmond Park. However it will have little effect in in the North, the Midlands and Wales which has lower average house prices and voted heavily Leave so the Tories would still make big net gains from Labour there
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    calum said:
    Simple. At any setting, where the "people" are only Tory members.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Who is that unfair to? Not the dementia sufferer, who - like all of us - will have the comfort of knowing they will get care for the rest of their life if they are unfortunate enough to succumb. Her loved ones? She could just as easily be pissed off that they don't want to care for her and leave her estate to the local cats charity. Why should they assume that their inheritance should be delivered gross, without the cost of the health of their dear departed being first met?

Seems to me this is less a Dementia Tax, more a Grasping Relations Tax....

The grasping relations could always choose to look after Aunt Agatha themselves rather than pack her off into a care home if they want to protect their investment.
    They'd want full disclosure of the terms of the bequests first.....
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Just cannot see Angus Robertson (Moray) or Pete Wishart (Perth and North Perthshire) being defeated even if a uniform swing to the Tories would take them out. The SNP have held the former seat for 30 years and the latter for over 20 years.

Both are favourites with the bookies to win now, although I am on both of them at evens or shades of odds against.

The Tories have good candidates in both, both areas were more No than average in 2014 and Moray almost voted Leave, tactical voting too from unionists will be there as was the case in the locals
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

We will legislate to ensure that a form of identification must be presented before voting

This is the standard right wing way (see GOP) to impede votes of those you fear are not for you.

Are you an unpaid apologist for voter fraud?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The question to ask will be :

What form of identification will be accepted ?

Library card or passport. I know which one the surveillance state would prefer. This nonsense from the Tories is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Do we have 20 to 30 of these sorts of stories that means the Dementia tax will be shunted to the background from now till polling day :) ?

A dead cat a day keeps the voters to stay.
  • Options

felix said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/comprehensive-sickness-insurance-what-is-it-and-who-needs-it/

This suggests that EEA citizens who are workers/self-employed qualify for permanent residence status. Self-sufficient people and students require the insurance.

It also states that eligibility for NHS does not count as comprehensive insurance cover.

It also means children can be refused residence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-born-children-eu-couple-parents-dutch-spanish-denied-permanent-residency-brexit-a7682696.html

The rules need to be urgently simplified and clarified, with grandfather rights, so that these people can be regularised.
    My point is if you are working/self-employed you don't need the comprehensive insurance cover
    Indeed it is the same in Spain where I live. You only get Spanish NHS cover if you are over 65, or working [+spouses , children of above]. If you are under 65 and not working [this is my status] you cannot get residence or use the Spanish NHS and you MUST obtain private medical cover. Personally I think that is quite fair.
    Many foreign countries require non-natives to have health insurance to get a residence permit - and, amazingly enough - when that residence permit expires - to leave. Such barbarity! Such inhumanity!
    For once, Carlotta, you are right. "Such barbarity! Such inhumanity!"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,685
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

There are worse fates than inheriting £100,000. I hope to leave something to my heirs, but I've no qualms about using my assets to provide for myself in old age.
    Indeed.

My total inheritances have amounted to a few thousand, from several different people.

Nor do I know anyone who's ever had one of these big multi hundred thousand pound inheritances so casually talked about here.

Now if my parents were to die today I might get somewhere in six figures but I've never factored that into my lifetime financial planning.

Do people really plan their lives on the basis that at some unspecified point of the future they're going to inherit hundreds of thousands ?

Not the ones I come across. In fact the recent trend I've noted has been for those in their 40s to complain about profligate parents who need bailing out. The money seems to be flowing upwards through the generations rather than down in some quarters.
    Really? The world will have ended if I ever needed to bail my parents out.

To some extent, my parents are still subsidising my life indirectly.
    You're Asian, no Asian parent would ever accept a bail out from their kids.
    It's funny, my parents think they are allowed to spend as much money on me and their grandkids.

But if I spend any money on them in their view that's me wasting money.
  • Options

The standard left-wing alternative is votes for 16 year olds and minimal checks on identity - I wonder why that may be.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,191

Point us to the bit in the manifesto that says - as you and the Independent claim - 'photo-id'.

Who are you lying on behalf of?
    Playing devil's advocate, what other form of evidence other than photo ID would be valid? AIUI (and I might be wrong) the way Individual Voter Registration would surely mean that the named person is associated with that property, which would mean that presenting (say) a bill for that name and address is rather irrelevant, especially if the voter already has the polling card in that name (and therefore has access in some form to the property).

The only way this makes sense to me is if it is meant to stop people from voting by just saying their address: by making them have to prove their address in that situation (e.g. by a bill), or present the polling card.

As I said yesterday, it'd be interesting to know what problem this is meant to be solving. The IVR change seemed to make sense. This one, less so.

So what's the problem they're trying to solve, how much of a problem is it, how does this proposal solve it, and are the consequences of the proposal worse for democracy than the original problem?
  • Options

Mrs May has promised a Brexit that will improve living standards. She will also eliminate the deficit by the mid-20s.

i.e. roughly in time for the third election from now (2017, 2021, 2025).

Not much of a giveaway!

• Options
    Some people say that it is not for government to regulate when it comes to technology and the internet. We disagree. While we cannot create this framework alone, it is for government, not private companies, to protect the security of people and ensure the fairness of the rules by which people and businesses abide. Nor do we agree that the risks of such an approach outweigh the potential bene ts. It is in the interests of stable markets that consumers are protected from abusive behaviour, that money is able to ow freely and securely, and that competition between businesses takes place on a level playing eld. It is in no-one’s interest for the foundations of strong societies and stable democracies – the rule of law, privacy and security – to be undermined.....

.....Just as we led the world in regulating embryology thirty years ago, we know that if we create the right system of governance for the digital economy and use of data, we will a ract the right businesses who want to become the global centre for data use and research.

Page 82
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,379
    Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/865449068830498816

What's even the point, it can't be different from May's can it?

Single page.

NO TO A SECOND REFERENDUM!

That's it.
  • Options
    The Brexiteers are going to turn out en masse and vote Tory to ensure it happens. The grey vote will grumble and bumble but hold its nose and vote Tory, especially to ensure the first point happens. There will not be a great rush to support the kindly old terror sympathiser and the bonfire of the economy. It will be brutal for them everywhere that isn't already blue, where they will just about hold ground as they are. This one is done. The die is cast,
  • Options
    PhotoID, regulated internet.

Good stuff from the Tory spinners.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed.

I'm in my 60's and haven't inherited anything
    I am in the position that if my parents avoid dementia I may be able to afford a property in southern France if they get dementia I may now be lucky to get a caravan in Skegness but fair enough I suppose as I would not gave earned it
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

I think the more Remain South East will now see the Tories lose seats net to the LDs, probably Lewes and Oxford West and Abingdon at least and the same will be true in wealthy parts of Remain London like Kingston upon Thames and Twickenham and Zac will lose again in Richmond Park. However it will have little effect in in the North, the Midlands and Wales which has lower average house prices and voted heavily Leave so the Tories would still make big net gains from Labour there
    The way the Lib vote is going they will need all their 2017 voters just to pick up Orkney and Shetland.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

The Brexiteers are going to turn out en masse and vote Tory to ensure it happens. The grey vote will grumble and bumble but hold its nose and vote Tory, especially to ensure the first point happens. There will not be a great rush to support the kindly old terror sympathiser and the bonfire of the economy. It will be brutal for them everywhere that isn't already blue, where they will just about hold ground as they are. This one is done. The die is cast,

Don't spoil it. I'm looking forward to Dimbleby, his poll, and the bong at ten. :p
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do we have 20 to 30 of these sorts of stories that means the Dementia tax will be shunted to the background from now till polling day :) ?

A dead cat a day keeps the voters to stay.
    Yeah if the dementia tax becomes a vote loser, expect the mother of all dead cats.

Something like 'Corbyn is a supporter of the IRA and Hamas, which means he can't be trusted with national security'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

So not much change. The SNP will defend better than PB Tories think.
    On local election results the Tories should win around 8 to 10 seats from the SNP
    Surprising. In England, local elections do not get replicated. But, in Scotland, they do.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

'regulated Internet'

I've not had a chance to look into this yet - what does it mean, and is it as braindead as:
    a) Any other proposal to 'regulate' the Internet;
    b) all the tech headlines are making it?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,015
    Nigelb said:

The PB Tories rallying to defend the 'Dementia Tax' today.

I prefer 'grasping relations tax' (who wanted the state other tax payers to pay)......
    I think its critics prefer the concept of pooled risk - which in this case only the state could feasibly arrange. Rather than your disobliging caricature.
    So they're now saying the proposals don't go far enough, while their own manifestos contained no mention of the subject.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

An urban metropolitan liberal professional was highly likely to vote Remain

It is sad that so many of those who do well in life forget their duty to protect the less fortunate

Don't worry, Charles, Brexit will work out fine for you. It's those further down the ladder who are likely to end up being shafted.

They were already being shafted.

Effectively unlimited immigration benefits the aggregate economy (although much less so on a per capita basis) but the benefits accrue largely to the well off and the costs are borne by the semi-skilled and skilled working classes.

That's not just.
    It's not true either. There's a case to make that there's a small downside to the unskilled, but even that seems dubious over the medium to long term. The people who see a measurable downside from new immigration are earlier immigrants.
    And if we have accepted those immigrants then they should be viewed in the same way as any other member of society. Once a commitment is made it is made. Fidelis in Ardua.

Except to EU immigrants, of course. We won't guarantee to honour their rights.

We've tried to get an agreement to honour their rights and Merkel turned it down.
  • Options

She also promised not hold a snap election.

When did she do that? I get that her opponents are pissed off at her for calling an election when she was sure to win it. But at what point did she promise not to hold one?

I intended to pay my credit cards off last month, for example.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

ICYMI last night

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/865344935205253121

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/865346335746252804

On local election results the Tories should win around 8 to 10 seats from the SNP
    Surprising. In England, local elections do not get replicated. But, in Scotland, they do.
    I'd be interested to read a source on this one. I think the YouGov article on the locals only covered England.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Death from life expiring and IHT issues = will happen
    Get dementia and need long term care at home = don't expect to happen to me

One shifts votes, one slightly irritates people but doesn't shift votes. Imo.
    I think you have read the politics of this absolutely correctly.

Stuck in a care home with advanced dementia from Alzheimers & Parkinsons is such a cruel end, that most people don’t even want to think about it.

They certainly don’t expect it will ever happen to them.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    edited May 2017
    Several years ago I penned a PB thread with a chart looking at the actual vote numbers for the various parties over several elections. Tory + DNV was basically static as was Lab + LD. Meeks' chart is share not absolute but it is showing a similar thing. Tory + UKIP is static as is Lab + LD (a bit less perfectly so - but still valid).
    The Tories have unsplit the right and are going to get around 1/2 of the total vote - and a big majority. But, much more interestingly, Labour are hoovering up the true lefty vote and will get perhaps 1/3 of the total vote. It's the pointless Lib Dems, and UKIP that are dying. And the minor parties - which are also rather pointless. The LibDems have made a catastrophic strategic error in attacking Tories rather than their Labour competitors.
    So Labour will survive. And possibly so will Jezza therefore. A Labour split looms.
  • Options

What other forms of identification have you been asked to show ? As you board an aircraft, have you ever been asked: "can I see your gold card please, madam? "
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Who's getting the other 2 the Nats are losing there? Both to LD?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Don't spoil it. I'm looking forward to Dimbleby, his poll, and the bong at ten. :p
    It will be sold as last minute decisions to support May, a late swing to the status quo etc, but in reality it's already gonna be a turkey shoot.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Very interesting debate about the care home funding.

Views on here vary a lot, and fascinatingly are far from splitting on predictable party lines, and encompass a wide spectrum of intelligently argued views. Pb.com at its finest

My own view is the policy is clearly better than the one it replaces and as such is welcome. But it is still surely unfair in many people's eyes and better solutions must exist which in some way pool the risk. However, life is not fair

As we all know what is unfair to one person is fine by someone else, and there is as ever a strong correlation between those who are personally affected and those who think it is unfair and vice versa. Witness the polling on those who think that yet more income tax on high earners is fair!
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/865449068830498816

What's even the point, it can't be different from May's can it?

Single page.

NO TO A SECOND REFERENDUM!

That's it.
    Popular then.

They're even persuading Nicola.....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-accused-backpedalling-over-10452828

Who seems to be agreeing that

NOW IS NOT THE TIME

felix said:

The standard left-wing alternative is votes for 16 year olds and minimal checks on identity - I wonder why that may be.
    Proof? Tjat is a serious allegation
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

This. The BBC were talking to some pensioners yesterday who were unhappy with the changes. Who would they vote for? The tories, as they like May.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/865473214788411392

What other forms of identification have you been asked to show ? As you board an aircraft, have you ever been asked: "can I see your gold card please, madam? "
    Proof of address can be in the form of a bank statement, for example.
  • Options

She also promised not hold a snap election.

When did she do that? I get that her opponents are pissed off at her for calling an election when she was sure to win it. But at what point did she promise not to hold one?

I intended to pay my credit cards off last month, for example.
    I suppose she didn't actually use the word 'promise'.

'A flashback to all the times Theresa May said a snap election was a terrible idea because it would cause "instability"'

http://tinyurl.com/m79yu37
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

ICYMI last night

I'd be interested to read a source on this one. I think the YouGov article on the locals only covered England.
    I was replying to HYUFD.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

The Tories have good candidates in both, both areas were more No than average in 2014 and Moray almost voted Leave, tactical voting too from unionists will be there as was the case in the locals
    Given all the council shenanigans - SCON/SLAB 3 way marginals bitterness - Greens effect - I think the SNP will firm up at c.45%.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'regulated Internet'

I've not had a chance to look into this yet?
    Pages 79 & 80, mainly.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

ICYMI last night

I was replying to HYUFD.
    Oh, I am forbidden from asking?

@HYUFD... would you mind asking @surbiton what I asked in my post?
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

How would they know it is "yours" ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,554
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

The PB Tories rallying to defend the 'Dementia Tax' today.

I prefer 'grasping relations tax' (who wanted the state other tax payers to pay)......
    I think its critics prefer the concept of pooled risk - which in this case only the state could feasibly arrange. Rather than your disobliging caricature.
    So they're now saying the proposals don't go far enough, while their own manifestos contained no mention of the subject.
    The risk should be pooled. Create a market in social care insurance that works if you don't want the state to do the job.

Why is it not in other manifestos? Could it be that when Labour tried to get a cross-party agreement on this the Tories whipped up a storm on a 'Death Tax'. Now we have a 'Dementia Tax' and all is quiet.

It's a f****** disgrace.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Because it had the same name & address as your polling card?
  • Options

This. The BBC were talking to some pensioners yesterday who were unhappy with the changes. Who would they vote for? The tories, as they like May.

Exactomundo. She's got it nailed on and she knows it. She can do the tough crap now and avoid the mid term rut of announcing in 2019. Brutal and effective.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    I think postal voting should be tightened. Don't see a pressing need for ID at the ballot box, though. And regulating the internet will require many necessary hashtags.

You know, I might well vote Fish Finger if the option were available.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,015
    Buzzfeed are extrapolating an awful lot from one line of a manifesto. Let's wait and see what's actually proposed in legislation first, before going mad with the criticism, but politicians most likely still don't understand technology and the internet.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Can you give a brief description of the qualities of these 'good' candidates?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

There does seem to be an element of trust in the system, given we've gone so many years without needing any form of ID. A light-handed approach would seem like a good compromise between preventing voter fraud and ensuring people can still vote.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Tory vote goes up from locals to general normally, LD vote goes down
  • Options

twitter.com/OpinionBee/status/865486990308802561

Good for Yes.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    surbiton said:

If I miss the postman and have to pick up a package at the sorting office they will not accept my photo ID bus pass as identification.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Basically, there are only 4 choices. Dementia care, or anything else will shift comparatively few votes.

Brexit under any terms -- vote Tory

Brexit, but we must stay in Single Market -- vote Labour

Rerun the referendum until we get the answer we want -- vote LibDem

Rerun a different referendum until we get the answer we want -- vote SNP.

Everything else is just vapour.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Isn't there currently a "Dementia Tax", for people who suffer dementia and have to go into a care home?

Are any of the parties opposed to the new measure announced by the Tories proposing to abolish this existing "tax" in their manifestos?
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Having had time to consume the Conservative manifesto (slow day in the Jacobite rebellion) I must say it's a masterpiece of banal soundbites, political chicanery and motherhood and apple pie and all without any detailed costings.

Fortunately for the Tories enough of the nation seems willing to swallow it whole in the hope that the strong and stable Mrs May will make a decent fist of not putting them personally in the workhouse.

Conservative landslide looms ....

One non-banal soundbite that caught my eye... "We will repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act." :smiley:
    I put that under political chicanery. The Prime Minister should not have the ability to call an election for party advantage. Sounds familiar ....
    Surely it's only chicanery to secure party political advantage if it's usually the party you oppose that secures it? In which case, calling it chicanery is party political chicanery in itself, no?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,234

They're even persuading Nicola.....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeon-accused-backpedalling-over-10452828

Who seems to be agreeing that

NOW IS NOT THE TIME

That has always been her position. The time is when what Brexit means becomes clear but before it is too late.

Perhaps May is rejecting this because she has bigger plans for a UK-wide second referendum on Brexit.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, the death tax was also something I oppose. Likewise the energy cap. May's got a habit of copying (with a minor fiddle) daft Labour policies.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,554

Very interesting debate about the care home funding.

Views on here vary a lot, and fascinatingly are far from splitting on predictable party lines, and encompass a wide spectrum of intelligently argued views. Pb.com at its finest

My own view is the policy is clearly better than the one it replaces and as such is welcome. But it is still surely unfair in many people's eyes and better solutions must exist which in some way pool the risk. However, life is not fair

As we all know what is unfair to one person is fine by someone else, and there is as ever a strong correlation between those who are personally affected and those who think it is unfair and vice versa. Witness the polling on those who think that yet more income tax on high earners is fair!

It is the job of statesmen and women, and Government in general, to rise above this level and devise something that is as fair as possible. Governments arbitrate between competing interests.

No evidence in this case. It's just - you are unlucky - tough - pay for your care and sod off. The individual bears all the risk.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'regulated Internet'

I've not had a chance to look into this yet?
    Pages 79 & 80, mainly.
    Thanks. That needs some study.
  • Options

Basically, there are only 4 choices. Dementia care, or anything else will shift comparatively few votes.

Brexit under any terms -- vote Tory

Brexit, but we must stay in Single Market -- vote Labour

Rerun the referendum until we get the answer we want -- vote LibDem

Rerun a different referendum until we get the answer we want -- vote SNP.

Everything else is just vapour.

I think Labour's manifesto says we are out of the single market.
  • Options

I think postal voting should be tightened. Don't see a pressing need for ID at the ballot box, though. And regulating the internet will require many necessary hashtags.

You know, I might well vote Fish Finger if the option were available.

Another 2015 Tory voter thinking of voting for a non Tory.

Bring back Dave!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The way the Lib vote is going they will need all their 2017 voters just to pick up Orkney and Shetland.
    Tactical voted will give them Edinburgh West
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Buzzfeed are extrapolating an awful lot from one line of a manifesto
    And wilfully ignoring the rest......
  • Options
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Given all the council shenanigans - SCON/SLAB 3 way marginals bitterness - Greens effect - I think the SNP will firm up at c.45%.
    Even if they do that is still 5% down on 2015 and that is at the upper end for SNP
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    HYFUD

Good Tory candidates you say for Moray and Perth? Douglas Ross (Moray Tory) is already in trouble in his MSP role for missing important meetings so that he can do his refereeing job. The "part time" tag which is being heavily played should do for him :-)

Wishart will garner every anti-Tory vote for sure, as ever, to his standard-especially after the disaster for Labour in Aberdeen where they have put a group of overwhelmingly inexperienced Tories into power.

Isn't saying how well "leave" did in these areas just another way of admitting that "remain" actually won?

The bookies have gone back to making Robertson and Wishart favourites. I am not surprised.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Mr. Borough, the death tax was also something I oppose. Likewise the energy cap. May's got a habit of copying (with a minor fiddle) daft Labour policies.

She's Heath or Heseltine in leopard shoes. But I can forgive her completely if she takes us properly out of the EU. Once that is done I'm afraid all bets are off and she's gonna get hammered.
  • Options
    TM's new immigration Czar on patrol !

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/865485308313313280
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

If I miss the postman and have to pick up a package at the sorting office they will not accept my photo ID bus pass as identification.
    Acceptable forms of ID To pick up your parcel, you'll need proof of identity (for the person the parcel is addressed to) and proof of delivery address from one of the following (originals, not copies)

Birth Certificate
    Building Society Book
    Cheque Book
    Cheque Guarantee Card
    Council Tax Payment Book
    Credit Card
    Credit Card Statement (not older than 6 months)
    Debit Card
    Full Driving Licence
    Marriage Certificate
    Military Photo ID
    Foreign National Identity Card
    National Savings Bank Book
    Valid Passport
    Paid Utilities Bill (not older than 6 months)
    Standard acknowledgement letter (SAL) issued by the Home office for Asylum Seekers
    Trade Union Card

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/collection-services

Only four of those have a photo........
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wasn't the 2015 GE supposed to be Dimbleby's last one?

• Options
    Mr. Patrick, I hope May does a good job getting us out of the EU. And that someone competent is in the wings for when the PCP defenestrates her.
  • Options

RobD said:

The old codger has got one more left in him!
  • Options

surbiton said:

Shhhh ! They will take your bus pass away.
  • Options

Isn't there currently a "Dementia Tax", for people who suffer dementia and have to go into a care home?

Are any of the parties opposed to the new measure announced by the Tories proposing to abolish this existing "tax" in their manifestos?

No and if you go into a care home you can now keep £100 000 rather than £23 000 as now
  • Options

Mr. Patrick, I hope May does a good job getting us out of the EU. And that someone competent is in the wings for when the PCP defenestrates her.

Likewise.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Having had time to consume the Conservative manifesto (slow day in the Jacobite rebellion) I must say it's a masterpiece of banal soundbites, political chicanery and motherhood and apple pie and all without any detailed costings.

Fortunately for the Tories enough of the nation seems willing to swallow it whole in the hope that the strong and stable Mrs May will make a decent fist of not putting them personally in the workhouse.

One non-banal soundbite that caught my eye... "We will repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act." :smiley:
    I put that under political chicanery. The Prime Minister should not have the ability to call an election for party advantage. Sounds familiar ....
    Surely it's only chicanery to secure party political advantage if it's usually the party you oppose that secures it? In which case, calling it chicanery is party political chicanery in itself, no?
    No.

I make no distinction as to affiliation. The Prime Minister, of whichever party, should not be able to manipulate the timing of general elections.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

No.

I make no distinction as to affiliation. The Prime Minister, of whichever party, should not be able to manipulate the timing of general elections.
    FTPA didn't seem to stop the present incumbent.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    North East Derbyshire news:

I note the Green party candidate is David Keveston, he's part of the big Eckington Anti-fracking campaign but is certainly not a "Swampy".
    Nope, he's the head gardener of Renishaw Hall and organised a protest in Sheffield Centre near the crucible. He timed it so as to have no disruption whatsoever on the World Championship snooker and was very specific on that point !

I think he'll take further votes off of Engel this time round, making the swing to Lee Rowley even larger than it otherwise would be.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Can you give a brief description of the qualities of these 'good' candidates?
    Douglas Ross in Moray is a former Moray councillor and now MSP for the Highlands and Islands while Ian Duncan in Perth is a Scottish Tory MEP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

calum said:

HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Even if they do that is still 5% down on 2015 and that is at the upper end for SNP
    3 weeks to go - you underestimate SLAB, SCON & SLID's ability to drive up SNP support !
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,217
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

No.

Who would have the final call on delaying an election such as what happened in 2001 with foot and mouth?
  • Options
    calum said:

HYUFD said:

calum said:

HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

3 weeks to go - you underestimate SLAB, SCON & SLID's ability to drive up SNP support !
    SLAB have certainly got off to a roaring start!
  • Options

surbiton said:

Acceptable forms of ID To pick up your parcel, you'll need proof of identity (for the person the parcel is addressed to) and proof of delivery address from one of the following (originals, not copies)

Birth Certificate
    Building Society Book
    Cheque Book
    Cheque Guarantee Card
    Council Tax Payment Book
    Credit Card
    Credit Card Statement (not older than 6 months)
    Debit Card
    Full Driving Licence
    Marriage Certificate
    Military Photo ID
    Foreign National Identity Card
    National Savings Bank Book
    Valid Passport
    Paid Utilities Bill (not older than 6 months)
    Standard acknowledgement letter (SAL) issued by the Home office for Asylum Seekers
    Trade Union Card

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/collection-services

Only four of those have a photo........
    What problem is the change supposed to solve?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

Pulpstar said:

'regulated Internet'

I've not had a chance to look into this yet - what does it mean, and is it as braindead as:
    It says "we will be the global leader in the regulation of the use of personal
    data and the internet", so whatever she's got in mind, it's going to be bigger than the Great Firewall of China.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

No.

That was because Corbyn is stupid.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

No.

That was because Corbyn is stupid.
    If you don't mind, I was replying to @JackW. :smiley:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

RobD said:

Yes, Huw Edwards was to have taken over after 2015, Aunty obviously had a change of heart.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JPJ2 said:

HYFUD

Good Tory candidates you say for Moray and Perth? Douglas Ross (Moray Tory) is already in trouble in his MSP role for missing important meetings so that he can do his refereeing job. The "part time" tag which is being heavily played should do for him :-)

Wishart will garner every anti-Tory vote for sure, as ever, to his standard-especially after the disaster for Labour in Aberdeen where they have put a group of overwhelmingly inexperienced Tories into power.

Isn't saying how well "leave" did in these areas just another way of admitting that "remain" actually won?

The bookies have gone back to making Robertson and Wishart favourites. I am not surprised.

The Tories would win Perth on the locals and Yougov and tactical voting will do for Robertson in Moray, indeed the locals showed unionist tactical voting was strong in both seats. The fact the SNP are saying Ross doing a bit of refereeing in his spare time stops him doing his job as an MSP shows how desperate the SNP campaign in Moray had now become
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'regulated Internet'

data and the internet", so whatever she's got in mind, it's going to be bigger than the Great Firewall of China.
    Is the Great Firewall of China visible from Cybperspace? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

ICYMI last night

I was replying to HYUFD.
    Oh, I am forbidden from asking?

@HYUFD... would you mind asking @surbiton what I asked in my post?
    For A source, fair enough
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'regulated Internet'

If she wins, she will have the authority to introduce censorship. Her Ministers are cowards, just hoping that they will get a job, whatever job !
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

No.

But you can afford to "make no distinction as to affiliation" because it costs you less, Jack, n terms of unfavourable outcomes. Mostly, this advantage of determining election timing has accrued to a party you oppose. Opposing its existence therefore aligns with your political allegiance, because you're opposing an advantage that has been wielded in five of the last eight elections by Conservatives.

Do any Conservatives here oppose the government having this power?
This discussion has been closed.