Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at Labour’s share of the vote in the polls and what do

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at Labour’s share of the vote in the polls and what does it mean

Wikipedia GE2017 poll chart All the mood music is pointing one way. Both Labour and Conservative sources suggest a meltdown in Labour’s heartlands. The Conservatives have put out rumours that they are trying to take seats such as Leeds East, West Bromwich East and Bolsover. If they were to succeed, Labour would be reduced to a rump.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    First, glorious first :smiley:
  • Options
    A perfect opportunity for me to plug my own charts:

https://goo.gl/7cTbAf

Other charts are available, e.g. @Sunil_Prasannan
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,691
    Third! Like SLAB......
  • Options

Third! Like SLAB......

I got the so-called Tory double. First like the Tories, Second like the Scottish Tories. ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Westminster North looks another value bet on Labour.
  • Options
    Note for expat Labour voters - you'll need a Conservative government first, if you want to keep your vote beyond 15 years (Blair cut it to 15 from the 20 the Conservatives had increased it to....) - the Labour manifesto is silent on the matter......
  • Options
    RobD said:

Third! Like SLAB......

I got the so-called Tory double. First like the Tories, Second like the Scottish Tories. ;)
    Like.......on that basis the Labour double would be second and third, the Lib Dem fourth.....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    OMG

How did I miss this chestnut:

"We will repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act."

There is a god!
  • Options

Note for expat Labour voters - you'll need a Conservative government first, if you want to keep your vote beyond 15 years (Blair cut it to 15 from the 20 the Conservatives had increased it to....) - the Labour manifesto is silent on the matter......

Votes for life for overseas electors. Excellent!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Votes for life for overseas electors. Excellent!
    P. 42:

We will legislate for votes for life for British overseas electors.
  • Options
    RobD said:

OMG

There is a god!

And a bit of stick if their Lordships prove troublesome:

Although comprehensive reform is not a priority we will ensure that the House of Lords continues to fulfil its constitutional role as a revising and scrutinising chamber which respects the primacy of the House of Commons. We have already undertaken reform to allow the retirement of peers and the expulsion of members for poor conduct and will continue to ensure the work of the House of Lords remains relevant and effective by addressing issues such as its size.
  • Options
    In the welter of polls, not sure this Evening Standard YouGov has had much discussion - fieldwork 9-10 May:

Which of the following election outcomes would you most like to see at the election next month?
    A landslide Conservative majority : 29 (among 65+: 42)
    A medium sized Conservative majority : 19
    A narrow Conservative majority : 8
    TOTAL CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY : 56 (Only London 45 & Scotland 44 not majority wish)
    A Conservative-led coalition government : 8
    A Labour-led coalition government : 14
    A narrow Labour majority : 4
    A medium sized Labour majority :6
    A landslide Labour majority : 13
    TOTAL LABOUR MAJORITY : 23

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g50dff7d4t/YouGov - Evening Standard - Election outcomes - 170510.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

In the welter of polls, not sure this Evening Standard YouGov has had much discussion - fieldwork 9-10 May:

Which of the following election outcomes would you most like to see at the election next month?
    TOTAL CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY : 56 (Only London 45 & Scotland 44 not majority wish)

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g50dff7d4t/YouGov - Evening Standard - Election outcomes - 170510.pdf

There's a glimmer of good news for the LDs in there. If we assume that the vast bulk of those wanting a coalition government want the LDs to be the partner, that means 22% of the population might possibly consider thinking about voting LibDem.
  • Options
    The moment she entered, the Cabinet shot to their feet, as though just electrocuted in the privates. They burst into frantic applause. Look, miss, I’m clapping as hard as I possibly can. Please don’t sack me! It may not be enough to save Liz Truss and Sajid Javid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4520444/QUENTIN-LETTS-Theresa-s-manifesto-launch.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There's a glimmer of good news for the LDs in there. If we assume that the vast bulk of those wanting a coalition government want the LDs to be the partner, that means 22% of the population might possibly consider thinking about voting LibDem.
    Up to a point, Lord Copper. Among Lib Dem VI

Con Majority: 35
    Con led coalition: 19
    Lab led coalition: 35

The strongest support geographically is for a Lab led coalition in Scotland (26) - but that's tied in Scotland with Con landslide (23).

For me the most telling numbers are want to see a [Party] Majority (2015 vote):
    Con: 98 (92)
    Lab: 57 (46)

Under half of Labour's 2015 voters (and barely over half of their current ones) want to see a majority Labour government....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

Up to a point, Lord Copper. Among Lib Dem VI

Con Majority: 35
    Con led coalition: 19
    Lab led coalition: 35

The strongest support geographically is for a Lab led coalition in Scotland (26) - but that's tied in Scotland with Con landslide (23).

For me the most telling numbers are want to see a [Party] Majority (2015 vote):
    Con: 98 (92)
    Lab: 57 (46)

Under half of Labour's 2015 voters (and barely over half of their current ones) want to see a majority Labour government....
    As I said, a glimmer.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited May 2017

The moment she entered, the Cabinet shot to their feet, as though just electrocuted in the privates. They burst into frantic applause. Look, miss, I’m clapping as hard as I possibly can. Please don’t sack me! It may not be enough to save Liz Truss and Sajid Javid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4520444/QUENTIN-LETTS-Theresa-s-manifesto-launch.html

Yep - no room for original thought or dissent in Theresa's cabinet. Not that this applies to Truss or Javid, of course!

• Options

no room for original thought
    I would say by recent standards the 2017 manifesto is quite 'original'......
  • Options

An uncosted set of promises predicated on a good Brexit deal. There's original and there's fantasy. Looks to me like Labour and the Tories are both in the same boat on that front. But only one is going to have to deliver.

• Options

An uncosted set of promises predicated on a good Brexit deal. There's original and there's fantasy. Looks to me like Labour and the Tories are both in the same boat on that front. But only one is going to have to deliver.

I didn't look as though there were many large spending commitments in the Tory manifesto beyond the extra cash for the NHS.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I didn't look as though there were many large spending commitments in the Tory manifesto beyond the extra cash for the NHS.

There were plenty of commitments. How much will reducing immigration to tens of thousands a year cost the economy, for example? How do you eliminate the deficit by the middle of the 2020s?

The bottom line is that Mrs May has explicitly promised to make life better for voters by delivering a Brexit that will improve living standards. She will be judged on whether she does. Unlike Labour, the Tories cannot just throw their manifesto commitments in the rubbish bin. They have to deliver on them.

• Options

RobD said:

There were plenty of commitments. How much will reducing immigration to tens of thousands a year cost the economy, for example? How do you eliminate the deficit by the middle of the 2020s?

The bottom line is that Mrs May has explicitly promised to make life better for voters by delivering a Brexit that will improve living standards. She will be judged on whether she does. Unlike Labour, the Tories cannot just throw their manifesto commitments in the rubbish bin. They have to deliver on them.

As has been mentioned on here quite a few times, the immigration target is now an aspiration, so not a spending commitment. As for reducing the deficit, that's the opposite of a spending commitment.
  • Options
    Despite my misgivings about May's ability to deliver what she is promising, I welcome unreservedly her advocacy of the positive state. She is moving the debate into the kind of territory that all those on the moderate left should welcome. Now that there is a general acceptance that intervention is not only possible, but is actually desirable, the debate can move onto how. Proposals that might once have been howled down as extreme can now be properly discussed. That is great news for people with political views like mine. What remains to be seen is whether May's embrace of the state will survive its first brush with negative headlines from the right wing press.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

What remains to be seen is whether May's embrace of the state will survive its first brush with negative headlines from the right wing press.

While recognising that a strong economy comes first, she rejects ‘untrammelled’ free markets and ‘selfish individualism’. Her government will not ‘walk by on the other side’.....

But if she leads Britain through Brexit, restores the alliance of blue collar workers and Middle England voters who swept Margaret Thatcher to power, and implements even half of her ambitious programme, she could transform this country. In doing so, she would restore trust in British politics so badly damaged in recent decades.

The Mail believes wholeheartedly she must be given the chance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4520986/At-PM-not-afraid-honest.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

As has been mentioned on here quite a few times, the immigration target is now an aspiration, so not a spending commitment. As for reducing the deficit, that's the opposite of a spending commitment.

Spending commitments do not have to be about spending more. Deficits don't just disappear. If the immigration "target" really is just a cynical, unachievable headline-grabber what it will mean in reality are cynical, headline-grabbing initiatives that will do more harm than good to the economy, while doing little if anything to reduce numbers.

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Spending commitments do not have to be about spending more. Deficits don't just disappear. If the immigration "target" really is just a cynical, unachievable headline-grabber what it will mean in reality are cynical, headline-grabbing initiatives that will do more harm than good to the economy, while doing little if anything to reduce numbers.

OK, the problem is that the further cuts aren't outlined in the manifesto? When you say 'uncosted set of promises', it implies you are promising things that will cost money.
  • Options

What remains to be seen is whether May's embrace of the state will survive its first brush with negative headlines from the right wing press.

While recognising that a strong economy comes first, she rejects ‘untrammelled’ free markets and ‘selfish individualism’. Her government will not ‘walk by on the other side’.

Yep - in the run-up to polling day we can expect the Mail and the other right wing papers to cheer loudly. But look at the reaction to the NI changes for the self-employed (brave, honest and correct) and May's immediate climbdown to see how it is likely to play-out post-election. If it doesn't, that will be a gamechanger and even better news for people like me.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

OK, the problem is that the further cuts aren't outlined in the manifesto? When you say 'uncosted set of promises', it implies you are promising things that will cost money.

I meant uncosted to mean coming without a cost.

• Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I meant uncosted to mean coming without a cost.

Yeah, but what are the big commitments that have a cost for which the cost hasn't been stated? I don't think there are many.

I think we may have crossed wires - my point is it is very light on promises of anything.
  • Options

While recognising that a strong economy comes first, she rejects ‘untrammelled’ free markets and ‘selfish individualism’. Her government will not ‘walk by on the other side’.

Yep - in the run-up to polling day we can expect the Mail and the other right wing papers to cheer loudly. But look at the reaction to the NI changes for the self-employed (brave, honest and correct) and May's immediate climbdown to see how it is likely to play-out post-election. If it doesn't, that will be a gamechanger and even better news for people like me.

The Sun editorial doesn't duck the less popular parts of the Tory plan - but the overall message is unequivocal:

A simple choice for Sun readers

NEVER in The Sun’s history has an election thrown up a choice so clear-cut and a ­conclusion so obvious for our readers.

It is between an extremist Labour Party longing to test their teenage Marxism to its inevitable destruction, taking our economy and the security and ­prosperity of millions of families with it.

Or a Tory party which was serious, grown-up and honest yesterday about Britain’s problems and the difficult solutions to them.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3598878/never-in-our-history-has-a-uk-election-thrown-up-such-a-clear-cut-and-obvious-choice-for-sun-readers/
  • Options

The Sun editorial doesn't duck the less popular parts of the Tory plan - but the overall message is unequivocal:

NEVER in The Sun’s history has an election thrown up a choice so clear-cut and a ­conclusion so obvious for our readers.

It is between an extremist Labour Party longing to test their teenage Marxism to its inevitable destruction, taking our economy and the security and ­prosperity of millions of families with it.

Or a Tory party which was serious, grown-up and honest yesterday about Britain’s problems and the difficult solutions to them.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3598878/never-in-our-history-has-a-uk-election-thrown-up-such-a-clear-cut-and-obvious-choice-for-sun-readers/

Pretty much what they wrote in 2015, I imagine. See the Sun's coverage of the NI tax proposals for how they are likely to cover difficult solutions post-election. But don't get me wrong, if May is really serious about challenging the right wing economic consensus that has held sway in the Conservative party and its press for the last 40 years then I will be genuinely delighted. I believe the state is a force for good, I am totally sold on the benefits of redistribution and completely accept that active regulation of markets within a capitalist system is right. May is creating a significant opportunity for the sensible, moderate left by framing the debate in our terms. I just don't see how she can deliver - especially with a hard Brexit deal, or no deal at all.

• Options
    Did anyone watch it? I chose to enjoy Tottenham's silky smooth 6-1 demolition of Leicester City instead. I suspect I made the right choice.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017

I see the ITV debate went well:

ttps://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/865307546793504768

ttps://twitter.com/ScottyNational/status/865311547438051328

Morning all.

Blimey, I forgot all about last night’s ‘leader’ debate, despite being reminded on PB earlier in the day. No doubt interesting snippets will be released as and when, or maybe not.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Rather than unfunded promises in the Tory manifesto there are what amounts to significant cuts in respect of the winter fuel allowance (approximately £1.3bn a year I read yesterday), a winding down in the upward ratcheting up of pensions against wages and what is in reality a massive increase in taxation to pay for Social Care. They have recognised that Social Care needs a massive new funding stream and the current policy of largely funding it from general taxation is not going to work.

Whether you think that they have yet nailed down the details of this correctly or not the contrast between the spending commitments by Labour backed by highly aspirational tax increases that may or may not produce any additional income is as stark as I can recall in an election period.

I still think that this is quite a brave Manifesto, in a Yes Minister sense, challenging the consensus over the last 20 years or so that you do not threaten the oldies because they vote. I hope it comes off but at the margins some of those oldies are going to resent the winding down of the triple lock, the loss of their Winter fuel allowance and be genuinely fearful that they will lose their homes, even on death, and not be able to pass them down to the family.

It suggests to me that we might yet see some further tightening in the polling and that Alastair is right that current value is probably finding targets where Labour are more likely to hold on than was thought a couple of weeks ago when there was that deluge of tsunami polls suggesting a landslide of epic proportions. A lot of very optimistic money has been piled on the Tories and, whilst winning comfortably, they are likely to fall significantly short of those expectations.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,362
    Yup. Jeremy Corbyn isn't going anywhere.

He's here to stay.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Conservatives will have to find almost £40 billion from further tax rises or spending cuts after producing an uncosted manifesto committed to eliminating the budget deficit by 2025.

Senior Conservatives were scrambling to play down the prospect of post-election tax rises after Theresa May scrapped a promise not to raise income tax or national insurance.

Experts warned that a new Tory government was likely to raise national insurance for the self-employed and to remove deductions on income tax and corporation tax as well as potentially broadening the base of products that qualify for 20 per cent VAT.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/tories-need-40bn-to-plug-giant-hole-in-spending-plans-32f2l0xtj
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    An urban metropolitan liberal professional was highly likely to vote Remain

It is sad that so many of those who do well in life forget their duty to protect the less fortunate
  • Options
    Now I am an activist in a key target seat I am seeing a lot from CCHQ which I was expecting - and some things I wasn't. It seems to me the central efforts assume very little local contribution or ability to contribute. For instance I received a letter from one Mrs May the day before yesterday asking me to use my postal vote to vote for "her" candidate who is APPARENTLY called "James Airey". Personally, I thought it was at the very least cack handed. Not a word as to who "James Airey" is. It was the first piece of central stuff I have had - think I have had five pieces - to mention the candidate's name.

For both Barrow and Westmorland Central Office have been very slow to sign off leaflets for local distribution. I think that might be deliberate to stop them being delivered too soon.

And a final ?gripe? as someone who has been hauled over the coals in previous elections for printing my name in my leaflets in bigger letters than "Conservative" I am wondering how this "Mrs May" whoever she is gets away with it. Has she been repremanded formally yet ???
  • Options

RobD said:

OMG

There is a god!

And a bit of stick if their Lordships prove troublesome:

Although comprehensive reform is not a priority we will ensure that the House of Lords continues to fulfil its constitutional role as a revising and scrutinising chamber which respects the primacy of the House of Commons. We have already undertaken reform to allow the retirement of peers and the expulsion of members for poor conduct and will continue to ensure the work of the House of Lords remains relevant and effective by addressing issues such as its size.
    Life peers have a maximum time in the house of, say, 20 years before they retire from the House?

[Assuming most life peers are in their 50s or 60s, that means they will retire between 70 and 80, which is not unreasonable. Any benefit from the fact that peers appointed from 1997 onwards would begin to retire shortly is entirely coincidental]
  • Options

I don't think it's uncosted at all. Plenty of spending commitments were ditched on tax and the triple lock, and the deficit elimination has been punted out to 2025.
  • Options

who has been hauled over the coals in previous elections for printing my name in my leaflets in bigger letters than "Conservative" I am wondering how this "Mrs May" whoever she is gets away with it.

Did you poll better than your party?
  • Options

Pretty much what they wrote in 2015, I imagine. See the Sun's coverage of the NI tax proposals for how they are likely to cover difficult solutions post-election. But don't get me wrong, if May is really serious about challenging the right wing economic consensus that has held sway in the Conservative party and its press for the last 40 years then I will be genuinely delighted. I believe the state is a force for good, I am totally sold on the benefits of redistribution and completely accept that active regulation of markets within a capitalist system is right. May is creating a significant opportunity for the sensible, moderate left by framing the debate in our terms. I just don't see how she can deliver - especially with a hard Brexit deal, or no deal at all.

Given the progress she is making to reframe the debate, perhaps you should consider lending her your vote?
  • Options
    Charles said:

It is sad that so many of those who do well in life forget their duty to protect the less fortunate

Don't worry, Charles, Brexit will work out fine for you. It's those further down the ladder who are likely to end up being shafted.

• Options

Despite my misgivings about May's ability to deliver what she is promising, I welcome unreservedly her advocacy of the positive state. She is moving the debate into the kind of territory that all those on the moderate left should welcome. Now that there is a general acceptance that intervention is not only possible, but is actually desirable, the debate can move onto how. Proposals that might once have been howled down as extreme can now be properly discussed. That is great news for people with political views like mine. What remains to be seen is whether May's embrace of the state will survive its first brush with negative headlines from the right wing press.

I think you're conflicted between lauding some of May's moves, and attacking them on the partisan basis that runs very thick through your veins.

At least you do it eloquently and politely, though, which is a lot more than can be said for many of your co-travellers on the Left.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Charles said:

Charles said:

That duty is interpreted differently by different people. Some extremely well-heeled voters opted for Leave in pursuit of an unregulated hard right fantasy. Sadly, we shall all need to live with the consequences of that economic and cultural vandalism for decades to come.
  • Options

He's here to stay.

Possible, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. He's losing the unions.

• Options
    I definitely did better in elections where my name is more prominent than my branding
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Conservatives will have to find almost £40 billion from further tax rises or spending cuts after producing an uncosted manifesto committed to eliminating the budget deficit by 2025.

Senior Conservatives were scrambling to play down the prospect of post-election tax rises after Theresa May scrapped a promise not to raise income tax or national insurance.

Experts warned that a new Tory government was likely to raise national insurance for the self-employed and to remove deductions on income tax and corporation tax as well as potentially broadening the base of products that qualify for 20 per cent VAT.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/tories-need-40bn-to-plug-giant-hole-in-spending-plans-32f2l0xtj

That's just meaningless.

Eliminating the deficit isn't "uncosted". We know precisely how much it will "cost" (i.e. need in savings).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I think you're conflicted between lauding some of May's moves, and attacking them on the partisan basis that runs very thick through your veins.

At least you do it eloquently and politely, though, which is a lot more than can be said for many of your co-travellers on the Left.
    F*ck off. ;-)
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

That duty is interpreted differently by different people. Some extremely well-heeled voters opted for Leave in pursuit of an unregulated hard right fantasy. Sadly, we shall all need to live with the consequences of that economic and cultural vandalism for decades to come.

Mrs May has promised a Brexit that will improve living standards. She will also eliminate the deficit by the mid-20s. Why would you doubt her? :-)

• Options

Charles said:

Don't worry, Charles, Brexit will work out fine for you. It's those further down the ladder who are likely to end up being shafted.

They were already being shafted.

Effectively unlimited immigration benefits the aggregate economy (although much less so on a per capita basis) but the benefits accrue largely to the well off and the costs are borne by the semi-skilled and skilled working classes.

That's not just.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Mrs May has promised a Brexit that will improve living standards. She will also eliminate the deficit by the mid-20s. Why would you doubt her? :-)

She also promised not hold a snap election. Dictum meum pactum is obviously not her motto.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

And some didn't. For me it was about standing up for people who have been ignored by the London-centric individuals who have dominated politics for the last 20 years
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

And some didn't. For me it was about standing up for people who have been ignored by the London-centric individuals who have dominated politics for the last 20 years
    Didn't know you were in the SNP.
  • Options

I definitely did better in elections where my name is more prominent than my branding

Then looks like Mrs May has learned from you!
  • Options

Mrs May seems to have accepted that people like me are essentially right in how we see regard the role of the state. Why would I not welcome that? But why would I not question her ability to deliver, given she is proposing to fundamentally re-engineer Conservatism away from the consensus that has prevailed in the party for 40 odd years?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    r u voting Tory?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Rather ironic to solve that problem with Brexit that centralises power in London.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Effectively unlimited immigration benefits the aggregate economy (although much less so on a per capita basis) but the benefits accrue largely to the well off and the costs are borne by the semi-skilled and skilled working classes.

That's not just.

We'll see who bears the costs of Brexit. It won't be you, me or Mr Meeks, that's for sure.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I could make comments about your wholly self-deceiving altruism, given that the Leave campaign was won by frightening people with xenophobic lies. But instead I invite you to consider that Remain voters strongly believed that Remain would have been in the best interests of the country as a whole and that your initial cheap shot was both irrelevant to the thread and unworthy of you.

Leave has so far completely failed to persuade erstwhile Remain voters that they were wrong. The lack of curiosity among Leavers as to why they have been so unpersuasive in the intervening months is very noticeable.
  • Options

r u voting Tory?

Nope. I don't think Mrs May can deliver and I think her approach to Brexit shows every sign of being calamitous. But I do welcome her acceptance that people like me are right on the benefits of a redistributionist, interventionist state.

• Options

Mrs May seems to have accepted that people like me are essentially right in how we see regard the role of the state. Why would I not welcome that? But why would I not question her ability to deliver, given she is proposing to fundamentally re-engineer Conservatism away from the consensus that has prevailed in the party for 40 odd years?

May is clearly making a pitch for centre left votes at this election. it's just tactics. We've have twenty years record to judge her on. She does like the authoritarian state. But is no centrist. And certainly no social democrat, however Crosby might choose to paint her this week.
  • Options
    BTW - excellent article. The point of my anecdote below is that CCHQ have a plan which virtually ignores the local associations in spite of local members having quite stretching targets for doors knocked on day by day to retain most favoured status.

This election has been long planned and when it became clear something was happening it was a masterstroke to put it around that the GE would be in October - I fell for that as OGH knows.

I guess there is enormous capacity within CCHQ to deliver leaflets to target voters and that that is not matched by its opponents.

No doubt the LDs here will not just be leafletting by themselves but as with the Cumbria elections external help will be drawn in even to the point of reducing votes elsewhere.
  • Options
    And finally - the Debate of all the Losers last night.

How much did CCHQ have to pay to run that ? Coalition of Chaos or what.
  • Options

It's the LDs I feel sorry for.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

May is clearly making a pitch for centre left votes at this election. it's just tactics. We've have twenty years record to judge her on. She does like the authoritarian state. But is no centrist. And certainly no social democrat, however Crosby might choose to paint her this week.
    I think she considers that most social problems have a bureaucratic solution.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I could make comments about your wholly self-deceiving altruism, given that the Leave campaign was won by frightening people with xenophobic lies. But instead I invite you to consider that Remain voters strongly believed that Remain would have been in the best interests of the country as a whole and that your initial cheap shot was both irrelevant to the thread and unworthy of you.

Leave has so far completely failed to persuade erstwhile Remain voters that they were wrong. The lack of curiosity among Leavers as to why they have been so unpersuasive in the intervening months is very noticeable.
    I think in fairness Alastair they have completely failed to persuade you. There is increasing evidence that the vast majority, leavers and remainers alike, just want to get on with this now and get the best deal that we can. Inevitably, those who were formerly remainers are keen to have as soft a Brexit as possible so that as many of the advantages that they perceived from being in the EU are protected whilst some of the leavers are still getting excited about the diamond hard Brexit.

Rather than claiming that Remainers are being ignored or not persuaded I think it is important that they contribute to the debate about Brexit in a positive way by arguing for the maximum possible Single Market access even if this involves compromises such as giving EU citizens enhanced rights of access or movement or employment for an extended period. There is, of course, no guarantee that such a deal will be on the table but I do think that the government should be looking for it and a consensus between the soft leavers and the former remainers seems the best way to push us in that direction.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yep, it's all about delivery. But when the Daily Mail cheers on a "dementia tax", it makes it much harder to spread scare stories about a "death tax". That then gets us to a position where a proper debate can take place: should care for the elderly be a family responsibility or one that involves pooling risk? We should welcome that debate. As a lefty I favour the latter, but I can understand the former. It is not immoral or wicked, just less equitable and effective.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264
    edited May 2017

The Leave campaign was won by frightening people with xenophobic lies.

What was especially irritating about the referendum was that both sides were more dishonest and abusive than Corbyn making a video about renationalising the railways while being challenged on his links to the IRA. We had Turkish immigration and £350million a week versus opt outs that the EU commented they would ignore, punishment budgets and political chaos. The only thing both sides missed were plagues of locusts and pots of honey.

One was marginally more effective because the other included people who had been more prominent in politics for years, but neither came out looking anything but very grubby.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Morning, Carlotta. I take it to you that is not personality cult. "I, me, my,,,,,,"
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yep, it's all about delivery. But when the Daily Mail cheers on a "dementia tax", it makes it much harder to spread scare stories about a "death tax". That then gets us to a position where a proper debate can take place: should care for the elderly be a family responsibility or one that involves pooling risk? We should welcome that debate. As a lefty I favour the latter, but I can understand the former. It is not immoral or wicked, just less equitable and effective.

It's frustrating. Social care is a critically important issue, but our politics seems incapable of solving it. No party seems able to devise, promote and implement anything remotely like what is necessary.

More important than Brexit IMO.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Morning, Carlotta. I take it to you that is not personality cult. "I, me, my,,,,,,"
    Good morning Surbiton.

If a leader polls more strongly than their party (and their opposite number vice versa) what would you do?

I suspect they've found there are some voters who will find it easier to vote 'May' than 'Tory'....and the manifesto certainly demonstrates that May's pitch is unlike any we've seen from the Tories in 40 years.....
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Jonathan said:

It's the LDs I feel sorry for.
    No
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    A very good post Alastair, thanks.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

deleted as body of post too long

I think in fairness Alastair they have completely failed to persuade you. There is increasing evidence that the vast majority, leavers and remainers alike, just want to get on with this now and get the best deal that we can. Inevitably, those who were formerly remainers are keen to have as soft a Brexit as possible so that as many of the advantages that they perceived from being in the EU are protected whilst some of the leavers are still getting excited about the diamond hard Brexit.

Rather than claiming that Remainers are being ignored or not persuaded I think it is important that they contribute to the debate about Brexit in a positive way by arguing for the maximum possible Single Market access even if this involves compromises such as giving EU citizens enhanced rights of access or movement or employment for an extended period. There is, of course, no guarantee that such a deal will be on the table but I do think that the government should be looking for it and a consensus between the soft leavers and the former remainers seems the best way to push us in that direction.
    I am one remainer who absolutely agrees that its over. The game was lost. We cannot go back and ask for a replay. The Nation, (the bastards ;) ) have spoken and its up to us to get on with it now however it may turn out. As for hard or soft brexit, so far its all hot air and posturing. We will see what materialises.
  • Options

He's here to stay.

If he wins more votes than Ed Miliband on their dream manifesto?

No chance. UKIP will be blamed for his defeat, not him.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

DavidL said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

deleted as body of post too long

I am one remainer who absolutely agrees that its over. The game was lost. We cannot go back and ask for a replay. The Nation, (the bastards ;) ) have spoken and its up to us to get on with it now however it may turn out. As for hard or soft brexit, so far its all hot air and posturing. We will see what materialises.
    The Dick Tuck reference always makes me smile.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Longer term, yes - inevitably in politics the urgent trumps the important - at least we're having a debate about it so once Brexit is largely resolved we can see how well, or not, the Tory proposals are working.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Having had time to consume the Conservative manifesto (slow day in the Jacobite rebellion) I must say it's a masterpiece of banal soundbites, political chicanery and motherhood and apple pie and all without any detailed costings.

Fortunately for the Tories enough of the nation seems willing to swallow it whole in the hope that the strong and stable Mrs May will make a decent fist of not putting them personally in the workhouse.

Conservative landslide looms ....
  • Options

He's here to stay.

A result of 49/34 would surely have Corbyn & Co. arguing for one more heave.
  • Options

Yes, you want to have it both ways: commend and attack.

FWIW I think the gap here is largely one of rhetoric. May isn't a socialist.
  • Options

He's here to stay.

We'll see. It's possible, but I'd say odds against.

• Options
    JackW said:

Having had time to consume the Conservative manifesto (slow day in the Jacobite rebellion) I must say it's a masterpiece of banal soundbites, political chicanery and motherhood and apple pie and all without any detailed costings.

Fortunately for the Tories enough of the nation seems willing to swallow it whole in the hope that the strong and stable Mrs May will make a decent fist of not putting them personally in the workhouse.

One non-banal soundbite that caught my eye... "We will repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act." :smiley:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Jonathan said:

It's frustrating. Social care is a critically important issue, but our politics seems incapable of solving it. No party seems able to devise, promote and implement anything remotely like what is necessary.

Theresa May has been bold in putting forward a plan for the funding of social care. It largely goes against the interests of her voting base. If in spite of this, she still achieves a solid working majority that can implement that plan, then I would argue she has most definitely devised, promoted and implemented something remotely like what is necessary.

We had 13 years under Labour during which time the grass grew very long. At least Theresa comes equipped with a strimmer.
  • Options
    JackW said:

And then delivery will have to begin. That's when it will get interesting.

• Options
    JackW said:

From a presentational point of view I particularly liked the fact that the supposedly opposing parties are completely ignored. Labour was full of rants about the Tories. If Labour policies are mentioned in the Tory version I must have missed it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I have been curious (and still am) but whenever I ask that question I seem to never get past demands for an apology for the Leave campaign, and to repent the result of the referendum itself, and if I won't do either of those things I'm then told I'm a moral delinquent, or similarly insulted.

So I've given up.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

One non-banal soundbite that caught my eye... "We will repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act." :smiley:
    I'm glad the proposals for Press Regulation have been dropped.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    A dodgy bar chart from the BBC yesterday on this story about the shrinking army.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39968776
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited May 2017
    Charles said:

Charles said:

That's not just.
    It's not true either. There's a case to make that there's a small downside to the unskilled, but even that seems dubious over the medium to long term. The people who see a measurable downside from new immigration are earlier immigrants.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

JackW said:

I put that under political chicanery. The Prime Minister should not have the ability to call an election for party advantage. Sounds familiar ....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

I'm glad the proposals for Press Regulation have been dropped.
    Indeed. Hopefully the nonsense that was Leveson will now be left to gather dust.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He's here to stay.

A result of 49/34 would surely have Corbyn & Co. arguing for one more heave.
    If Labour loses....

What happens depends entirely on Corbyn, his views and the pressure upon him. He may very well conclude he has done his bit. There will be huge pressure for him to stay from supporters. Momentum must already be planning rallies.

The question will be resolved by those closest to him, whether they pit him or the party first, whether they could stomach Cooper and whether there is a viable alternative.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

From a presentational point of view I particularly liked the fact that the supposedly opposing parties are completely ignored. Labour was full of rants about the Tories. If Labour policies are mentioned in the Tory version I must have missed it.

It's more Ed Miliband than Jeremy Corbyn.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Are they still planning on giving me my right to vote back or have they dropped that one now that Britain is officially against all kinds of foreign things?
  • Options

Are they still planning on giving me my right to vote back or have they dropped that one now that Britain is officially against all kinds of foreign things?

The manifesto has a commitment that overseas electors get votes for life.
  • Options

He's here to stay.

We'll see. It's possible, but I'd say odds against.

He and his support base will feel vindicated. And it's the membership that votes.

The only way he goes quietly is if he suffers a crushing defeat.
  • Options

DavidL said:

JackW said:

It's more Ed Miliband than Jeremy Corbyn.

It is a step towards the middle taken at the same time as Labour takes several steps to the left. The gap between them has grown as a result.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

I put that under political chicanery. The Prime Minister should not have the ability to call an election for party advantage. Sounds familiar ....
    Now it's been shown to be a paper tiger, I don't frankly think it's worth keeping in its current form. The only way such an act would be foolproof is if a majority of all parties in either the Commons or Parliament voted for it, which would almost never happen. So it may as well be got rid of.
This discussion has been closed.