Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at Labour’s share of the vote in the polls and what do

Comments

• Options
    JackW said:

Sadly the Jacobites have been out of power for the last few elections.

I am equal opportunity opponent of the abuse of power by the Labour PM's too, whether it be Blair in 01 or 05, Wilson in 66, 70 or 74 and Attlee in 51.

Since 1951 Conservatives have won 11 times (if we take 2017 as read; 13 times if we take the next two as read too as seems psephologically likely), and Labour 6 times. So there has been no equality of opportunity to call an election. It has been a Conservative opportunity by a factor of 2 to 1.

Principled opposition to a sitting PM's right in general to determine election timing therefore aligns with parti pris opposition to Conservative PMs in particular.

I am sure there are all sorts of examples for other allegiances.

Is there a word for taking a high-minded view on a matter which happens also to align conveniently with one's own personal interests? Murderers expressing principled opposition to the death sentence, for example, or car parking offenders who object on moral grounds to wheel clamps? It feels like there ought to be. It's like casuistry but more so.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    jonny83 said:

Went shopping with my father this morning who is recovering from a wrist operation and can't push a trolley or lift bags.

Anyway I was surprised at a lot of the anti Theresa May talk I overheard by pensioners as we were going around the supermarkets in Accrington and Great Harwood, kept hearing the word 'betrayed'. That's of course only at 3 supermarkets we went to, but I do wonder if elsewhere and across the country there is a rising unhappiness with her with a demographic that usually votes Tory and does actually get out and vote.

Have heard the same round here. The "Baby Boomers" are in revolt lol!!!!!

I'm expecting quite a big hit for the Tories in the weekend polls 2-3% down.

Now they've unrelieved their manifesto they need to get back on to Brexit and Corbyn 24/7 from now until 8th June.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    jonny83 said:

Went shopping with my father this morning who is recovering from a wrist operation and can't push a trolley or lift bags.

Anyway I was surprised at a lot of the anti Theresa May talk I overheard by pensioners as we were going around the supermarkets in Accrington and Great Harwood, kept hearing the word 'betrayed'. That's of course only at 3 supermarkets we went to, but I do wonder if elsewhere and across the country there is a rising unhappiness with her with a demographic that usually votes Tory and does actually get out and vote.

Overall I have not all been impressed with their campaign, is it hubris or arrogance? They think Corbyn and his brand of Labour has no chance and therefore don't feel the need to really put that effort in? That's just the campaign itself that manifesto itself has some things in it I didn't think they would go for. Maybe they feel it's a shoe in that they will win and have been a bit riskier with their manifesto ideas.

It feels to me like the phony war before the war proper. As we are into the last 3 weeks it needs to stop feeling like that pretty soon.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,829
    edited May 2017

An interesting aspect of the Tory manifesto which I don't think has received much notice: its presentation. Under Cameron, we had good-quality typography with lots of pretty pictures, quotations from 'ordinary people', and plenty of white space. This one is just a dense chunk of text with small margins. The overall effect is one of relentless, serious, text.. It looks very much as though it's been produced in the PM's office with no professional graphic design input at all.

Substance over style? It may also be why it didn't leak.....
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    IanB2 said:

jonny83 said:

Overall I have not all been impressed with their campaign, is it hubris or arrogance? They think Corbyn and his brand of Labour has no chance and therefore don't feel the need to really put that effort in? That's just the campaign itself that manifesto itself has some things in it I didn't think they would go for. Maybe they feel it's a shoe in that they will win and have been a bit riskier with their manifesto ideas.

You need to go to three different supermarkets to get his shopping??
    My wife has a friend who goes to Morrison, Aldi, Lidl and the market every Friday, because she's convinced it saves her money.

Of course, all this stuff gets loaded into her car and carted from one supermarket to another, and I reckon that factoring in petrol and other running costs (to say nothing of time) she might as well just pick any supermarket that isn't M&S or Waitrose and stay there. But what do I know?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    calum said:

TM's new immigration Czar on patrol !

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/865485308313313280

From horizon to horizon, Nuttall still can't spot anyone who will vote for him....
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    IanB2 said:

jonny83 said:

You need to go to three different supermarkets to get his shopping??
    Yeah he likes to shop around, go to one supermarket for one thing like meat or veg, some things on offer at another etc.

Might be an old habit or routine, because my late mother was the one who was really into shopping around and he seems to be carrying it on.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just catching up with the thread. So if, I've got this right, in future you will only be allowed to vote if you need to collect a parcel from the sorting office?

snip

In a democracy, personation is one of the worst crimes there is. Who steals my purse, steals trash, but casting 10 moody votes amounts to stealing ten times my own democratic stake in the country. If confused old biddies aren't gonna vote that's a shame (and party activists can mitigate the problem by identifying them and helping them get some sort of ID) but it is nowhere compared to the absolute necessity of ensuring that one man gets one vote.

The same applies in spades to postal voting.

Here's a helpful publication from the HoC Library.

Electoral fraud since 2010 - Parliament UK

researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06255/SN06255.pdf

(Snip)
    "but it is nowhere compared to the absolute necessity of ensuring that one man gets one vote."

The question is how far you go down the road of ensuring that without making it so that one man cannot vote. There are other priorities that are just as, if not more important: for example ensuring that the vote remains secret, and that everyone eligible to vote has a reasonable opportunity to vote.

The whole voting process is a compromise - a balance - between sometimes competing requirements.

But again, I ask what the purpose of this change is? What problem is it trying to solve?
    Personation. Simple as that. Did you read the pdf I linked to?
    I've read it before. This is an area I have an interest in.

From the document: "As at 31 December 2011, court proceedings have been initiated in one case of personation at a polling station, and one case relating to an imprint offence has been resolved with a caution."

One case.

As it happens, non-photo ID wouldn't fix anything. Photo ID would have severe consequences on many people who are legally able to vote (it will also cause problems in the voting stations, although that's a procedural issue).
    In that case, can you explain why forbidding photography in polling stations is thought to be a deterrent?

I must confess I hadn't read it carefully enough to find the bit you quote. Perhaps this is testing the waters before restricting postal voting?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    JackW - I think that there is a good case for holding a general election between the Brexit referendum and the start of Brexit negotiations so that HMG has a mandate for conducting those negotiations.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

calum said:

TM's new immigration Czar on patrol !

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/865485308313313280

From horizon to horizon, Nuttall still can't spot anyone who will vote for him....
    He did a tremendous job for May on last night's show.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

An urban metropolitan liberal professional was highly likely to vote Remain

It is sad that so many of those who do well in life forget their duty to protect the less fortunate

Don't worry, Charles, Brexit will work out fine for you. It's those further down the ladder who are likely to end up being shafted.

They were already being shafted.

Effectively unlimited immigration benefits the aggregate economy (although much less so on a per capita basis) but the benefits accrue largely to the well off and the costs are borne by the semi-skilled and skilled working classes.

That's not just.
    It's not true either. There's a case to make that there's a small downside to the unskilled, but even that seems dubious over the medium to long term. The people who see a measurable downside from new immigration are earlier immigrants.
    And if we have accepted those immigrants then they should be viewed in the same way as any other member of society. Once a commitment is made it is made. Fidelis in Ardua.

Except to EU immigrants, of course. We won't guarantee to honour their rights.

If the EU will, we will

Also a difference between those with permanent right to remain and those who have chosen to utilise a more temporary arrangement based on an agreement between states

When you resort to such sophistry you are losing, Charles. EU citizens had no reason to believe they were utilising a temporary arrangement. You know that, whatever you may write here.

Not sophistry. If someone has a permanent right to remain they have entered into a contract with the British state. If someone is relying on an agreement between their home state and the state in which they are resident they are assuming that those rights will remain unchanged, but they have no guarantee that is the case
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737

JackW said:

I am equal opportunity opponent of the abuse of power by the Labour PM's too, whether it be Blair in 01 or 05, Wilson in 66, 70 or 74 and Attlee in 51.

Since 1951 Conservatives have won 11 times (if we take 2017 as read; 13 times if we take the next two as read too as seems psephologically likely), and Labour 6 times. So there has been no equality of opportunity to call an election. It has been a Conservative opportunity by a factor of 2 to 1.

Principled opposition to a sitting PM's right in general to determine election timing therefore aligns with parti pris opposition to Conservative PMs in particular.

Is there a word for taking a high-minded view on a matter which happens also to align conveniently with one's own personal interests? Murderers expressing principled opposition to the death sentence, for example, or car parking offenders who object on moral grounds to wheel clamps? It feels like there ought to be. It's like casuistry but more so.
    The FTPA encourages slightly longer term thinking and removes an unfair advantage for the governing party of the day.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Labour fighting back now. New poster with triple attack on pensioners highlighted. Including the social care and loss of home.

Be interesting to see polls following the weekend.

Game on?

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/865502065874804737

Even if most ££ is from Uncle Len, I assume they have slightly more to spend on this election than 2015 with the incoming money from new members. Is it possible that the Tory-Labour spending imbalance will be less, affecting the outcome slightly in key marginals? Every Ilford North, Hampstead, Hove, Exeter and even Chester matters!
    Posters these days are more for the media than the billboard - they save a lot of money that way.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675
    Something to be filed under the category of 'If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle'

General Election analysis: 'If the vote was held only among the under-50s, Corbyn could beat May'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-analysis-if-the-vote-was-held-only-among-the-under50s-corbyn-could-beat-may-a3543176.html
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

JackW said:

The FTPA encourages slightly longer term thinking and removes an unfair advantage for the governing party of the day.
    I've always thought that having some uncertainty over the next election date is a good way of making sure the opposition is always 'on its toes' and holding the Government to account throughout its term rather than just disappearing for four and a half years.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    For those interested in Moray, this is worth a read:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tories-gunning-angus-robertson-bullish-10450565

It certainly sounds like game on.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just catching up with the thread. So if, I've got this right, in future you will only be allowed to vote if you need to collect a parcel from the sorting office?

snip

In a democracy, personation is one of the worst crimes there is. Who steals my purse, steals trash, but casting 10 moody votes amounts to stealing ten times my own democratic stake in the country. If confused old biddies aren't gonna vote that's a shame (and party activists can mitigate the problem by identifying them and helping them get some sort of ID) but it is nowhere compared to the absolute necessity of ensuring that one man gets one vote.

(Snip)
    "but it is nowhere compared to the absolute necessity of ensuring that one man gets one vote."

The question is how far you go down the road of ensuring that without making it so that one man cannot vote. There are other priorities that are just as, if not more important: for example ensuring that the vote remains secret, and that everyone eligible to vote has a reasonable opportunity to vote.

The whole voting process is a compromise - a balance - between sometimes competing requirements.

But again, I ask what the purpose of this change is? What problem is it trying to solve?

From the document: "As at 31 December 2011, court proceedings have been initiated in one case of personation at a polling station, and one case relating to an imprint offence has been resolved with a caution."

One case.

As it happens, non-photo ID wouldn't fix anything. Photo ID would have severe consequences on many people who are legally able to vote (it will also cause problems in the voting stations, although that's a procedural issue).
    In that case, can you explain why forbidding photography in polling stations is thought to be a deterrent?

I must confess I hadn't read it carefully enough to find the bit you quote. Perhaps this is testing the waters before restricting postal voting?
    I thought the photography point was to stop people 'proving' how they've voted in response to potential bribes or threats? Most of our election rules derive from an age when the principal concern was preventing the wealthy and powerful from corrupting the secret ballot.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017
    G-Live - Summary from last night's ITV leader debate.

There’s a reason why PMQs attracts so much interest at Westminster, even though the quality of “debate” is often poor. It’s because, when the prime minister and the leader of the opposition are speaking, there’s a hinge that connects the arguments to decisions that get taken, things that happen, stuff that matters etc. The PM and opposition leader have to defend what they do, and so whether they can defend it or not convincingly actually counts.

But if the people who are engaged in a political debate don’t have that sort of authority, even if they speak with the wit and intellect of characters from an Aaron Sorkin drama, it is not going to have the same edge. And no one would confuse what happened tonight with a Sorkin script.

Which is a round-about way of saying it was all a bit dull, and it does not really matter. In fact, I’m not quite sure why I’m still here.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    I'm sure it's been covered well on here over the last 24 hours but there's no getting away from the fact the Tories have scored a significant own goal over social care. The policy they propose is similar to the one BBC Moneybox's in -house raging lefty Paul Lewis mooted and is supported by the Polly Twaddles of this world. Very dangerous political territory indeed - we know how the polls shifted sharply to the Tories in October 2007 when Osborne as shadow chancellor proposed raising the IHT threshold to £1m - the converse could happen now . Time to start buying Labour in some of the Tories more outlandish targets.
  • Options
    The first time I heard about the Brexit campaign was overhearing John Gaunt mentioning it way way back around 2012 (I think) in the Coventry Rugby club bar.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I thought the photography point was to stop people 'proving' how they've voted in response to potential bribes or threats? Most of our election rules derive from an age when the principal concern was preventing the wealthy and powerful from corrupting the secret ballot.

Oh of course. I was thinking it was photographing people which was verboten. Doh.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    A thought on voting intentions impact, triple lock pick and winter fuel means testing have been very heavily trailed already. They were not a surprise. Social care won't shift votes much. Don't bank on a May slump or a corbounce
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

(Snip)

One case.

Yes, it's a difficult one this, with the balance between ensuring that everyone gets a vote but also ensuring that everyone entitled has the opportunity to vote.

Hopefully the recent re-registration exercise has removed a lot of the opportunity for fraud, as would tighter control of postal votes (perhaps accompanied by early voting). Allowing the list of ID that Royal Mail uses might be a starting point, I believe the Electoral Commission have already suggested something similar.

We need to stay well away from making access to voting a partisan issue, as it is in the USA, where both sides bring up well rehearsed arguments for and against all sorts of things related to voting, when it's clear the reasons behind their position are purely partisan. Getting multi-party support behind an EC proposal is probably the correct way forward here.

There's also the added, shall we say "Cultural" issues in certain "Communities", which give their own problems. These are best resolved by better policing on the day of the election, especially around polling stations.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Maybe they feel it's a shoe in that they will win and have been a bit riskier with their manifesto ideas.

I think so. When you're 15 or 16 points ahead, you can blow 5 or 6 on something necessary but unpopular, and still win.

What was always odd about Blair was that despite being in that position twice, he never stood on anything particularly radical. If he had run in 2001 on a platform of "I'm going to invade a random Middle Eastern country" he would still have won.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Labour fighting back now. New poster with triple attack on pensioners highlighted. Including the social care and loss of home.

Game on?

Was it wise to choose red as the colour of the aggressor ? Looks like a Tory warning ad about the red menace,
    And how does someone get three fists?
    Or is there a subtle Corbyn message here about not getting into an arms race...?
    Diane Abbott has counted them and has assured us there are two.
  • Options
    Taking food out of kiddies tummies will lose more votes than mums detached pile
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

What was always odd about Blair was that despite being in that position twice, he never stood on anything particularly radical. If he had run in 2001 on a platform of "I'm going to invade a random Middle Eastern country" he would still have won.

Or more realistically - 'We're going to joint the Euro'.

If he'd done that his political capital would have been used up on something worthwhile and he might have had to fall in with the mainstream European position on Iraq too.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,771

jonny83 said:

Maybe they feel it's a shoe in that they will win and have been a bit riskier with their manifesto ideas.

I think so. When you're 15 or 16 points ahead, you can blow 5 or 6 on something necessary but unpopular, and still win.

Blair won in 2005 on a platform of "I've already invaded a random Middle East country"!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Something odd going on with Malwarebytes Premium this morning. Web protection has turned itself off and won't turn back on. Also won't scan.

Probably just an issue with the latest patch but given it's a week today since the cyber attack it's kind of worrying.

No formal response from MB yet.
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    edited May 2017
    **Betting tip** - Labour to gain Leeds North West at 10/1 with bet365.com. Even when Michael Foot took Labour to disaster in 1983 the party was still able to make 4 seat gains in the process. Leeds North West looks like it could be one of the very few gains of the night for Labour this time. With the current polling it’s probably fair to look at this seat as a 3-way marginal. With the Liberal Democrats struggling against expectations in the general election Greg Mulholland looks vulnerable to Corbyn’s Labour in a constituency with a lot of students and young graduates.

Corbyn visited the constituency last week and so big were the crowds that roads had to be closed. While Corbynmania might not be present in the vast majority of marginal seats, it’s fair to say that that it is very clearly here as the news reports show:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-just-held-election-10428984

The results in 2015 were:
    Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

The only downside for Labour is that UKIP aren’t standing a candidate and the Greens are. But this is probably a seat with a bit of a ceiling to the number of people who would vote Conservative. I think Labour are right in the mix here and I wouldn’t be sleeping easy if I were Greg Mulholland. Ladbrokes price a Labour gain at 5/1 (which I still think represents value) but the 10s with Bet365 is very generous:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/leeds-north-west/winning-party
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Or more realistically - 'We're going to joint the Euro'.

If he'd done that his political capital would have been used up on something worthwhile and he might have had to fall in with the mainstream European position on Iraq too.
    And we and Germany could be joining hands to bend Greece over a barrel.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    edited May 2017

No it won't as universal school meals for key stage 1 don't solve anything. A free breakfast is a far better use of less resources....

Equally the only people who care about that is a few parents with pre-school children - the inheritance is somewthing a lot more people may care about.

Either way May at least is suggesting something and not kicking it down the road for another 5 years....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Setting good eating habits via school meals is not just a poverty issue, it is a health issue. We have a childhood obesity epidemic, which will make for very unhealthy adults. Lunchboxes are full of unhealthy items, often just sweets, biscuits and crisps.

It is the middle aged with frail parents whose votes may be shifted by the social care funding issue, from the secondary effects.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Dadge said:

Game on?

Even if most ££ is from Uncle Len, I assume they have slightly more to spend on this election than 2015 with the incoming money from new members. Is it possible that the Tory-Labour spending imbalance will be less, affecting the outcome slightly in key marginals? Every Ilford North, Hampstead, Hove, Exeter and even Chester matters!
    Posters these days are more for the media than the billboard - they save a lot of money that way.
    Agreed, but if they want a rapid rebuttal unit complete with poster designers - a picture being worth 1000 words - I assume they have to pay them? The Tories pay people to do the opposite.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Except that it's not true. The Tory poll bounce in Oct 2007 came in part from people who didn't even have sufficient assets to benefit from the Inheritance Tax cut. It's perceptions that count.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

And we and Germany could be joining hands to bend Greece over a barrel.

If we had had a different opinion about how to handle Greece we would have played a major role, instead of washing our hands of it and using it for propagandistic purposes.
  • Options
    eek said:

No it won't as universal school meals for key stage 1 don't solve anything. A free breakfast is a far better use of less resources....

Equally the only people who care about that is a few parents with pre-school children - the inheritance is somewthing a lot more people may care about.

Either way May at least is suggesting something and not kicking it down the road for another 5 years....
    Not debating the validity of the policy, just it's perception and impact
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It is sad that so many of those who do well in life forget their duty to protect the less fortunate

Don't worry, Charles, Brexit will work out fine for you. It's those further down the ladder who are likely to end up being shafted.

Effectively unlimited immigration benefits the aggregate economy (although much less so on a per capita basis) but the benefits accrue largely to the well off and the costs are borne by the semi-skilled and skilled working classes.

That's not just.
    It's not true either. There's a case to make that there's a small downside to the unskilled, but even that seems dubious over the medium to long term. The people who see a measurable downside from new immigration are earlier immigrants.
    And if we have accepted those immigrants then they should be viewed in the same way as any other member of society. Once a commitment is made it is made. Fidelis in Ardua.

If the EU will, we will

Also a difference between those with permanent right to remain and those who have chosen to utilise a more temporary arrangement based on an agreement between states

When you resort to such sophistry you are losing, Charles. EU citizens had no reason to believe they were utilising a temporary arrangement. You know that, whatever you may write here.

Not sophistry. If someone has a permanent right to remain they have entered into a contract with the British state. If someone is relying on an agreement between their home state and the state in which they are resident they are assuming that those rights will remain unchanged, but they have no guarantee that is the case

Sophistry, I'm afraid. Your case would not stand up in court. The UK's membership of the European Union was never intended to be a temporary arrangement. The fact that the practicalities of leaving are so extraordinarily complex demonstrates that.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    eek said:

Well I think it's ridiculous that we've come to this situation. There's no excuse on this planet that parents cannot afford to feed their children. My mother always said that she would go without before I went hungry. If parents thought about/knew, real needs from wants then a lot of these issues would disappear.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,032

Something to be filed under the category of 'If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle'

General Election analysis: 'If the vote was held only among the under-50s, Corbyn could beat May'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-analysis-if-the-vote-was-held-only-among-the-under50s-corbyn-could-beat-may-a3543176.html

If you're going to exclude the over 50s, surely you should also exclude both Corbyn and May...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Norm said:

Except that it's not true. The Tory poll bounce in Oct 2007 came in part from people who didn't even have sufficient assets to benefit from the Inheritance Tax cut. It's perceptions that count.
    Death happens regardless. Care at home for dementia sometimes happens, to a few.
    One is toxic, the other is a worry.
    The opprobrium appears to be mostly from grasping middle agers with their greedy mitts out.
  • Options

It cuts both ways. It's also a message to the UK that if we focus on the money, we can forget about a deal.
    No, the problem was that they were wanting a guarantee from us of shedloads of money, with no guarantee from them of a deal in return. They seem gradually to be edging towards the realisation that that approach is completely ludicrous.

Had they bothered to read PB.com over the last year, they would already know that.

The question is whether they are edging towards sanity on that question fast enough to be able to reach an agreement before it's too late. I'm not sure they are.

So with no deal, how does Mrs May deliver the improvements to living standards she is promising and the elimination of the deficit within eight years? A cynic might conclude she is making promises she knows she cannot keep in the hope of being able to pin the blame for failure on the European Union. Surely not.

• Options

For those interested in Moray, this is worth a read:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tories-gunning-angus-robertson-bullish-10450565

It certainly sounds like game on.

I'm not sure 'sense of entitlement' is a card the SNP gets to play any more - least of all against a farm worker's son.....that said, I think Robertson will hold on - even against the EU/Fisheries & sindyRef winds.....
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That's not just.

If the EU will, we will

Sophistry, I'm afraid. Your case would not stand up in court. The UK's membership of the European Union was never intended to be a temporary arrangement. The fact that the practicalities of leaving are so extraordinarily complex demonstrates that.

Not sophistry. A nice distinction. But this could all have been resolved if Merkel had accepted May's proposal
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,369
    edited May 2017
    The need to avoid the possibility of some ordinary Scotch person being seen to tell Tessy to giruy is positively neurotic.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/865519295417077760
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Scott_P said:
    Quite funny but inaccurate as May is teetotal.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That's not just.

If the EU will, we will

Not sophistry. A nice distinction. But this could all have been resolved if Merkel had accepted May's proposal

What was May's proposal? Have you seen it?

• Options

Norm said:

Death happens regardless. Care at home for dementia sometimes happens, to a few.
    One is toxic, the other is a worry.
    The opprobrium appears to be mostly from grasping middle agers with their greedy mitts out.
    And how many of those grasping middle agers are going to vote instead for a Marxist who thinks personal property is theft?

That's Mrs May's calculation, and I think it's the right one. At least one politician has the guts to look at what's a bloody difficult issue that politicians have kicked down the road for decades.
  • Options

Game on?

It's a take off of the famous LABOUR'S DOUBLE WHAMMY – HIGHER TAXES, RISING PRICES.

Very neat, very clever. Anyone know the agency?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Game on?

It's a take off of the famous LABOUR'S DOUBLE WHAMMY – HIGHER TAXES, RISING PRICES.

Very neat, very clever. Anyone know the agency?
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01614/1997-double-whammy_1614464i.jpg
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite funny but inaccurate as May is teetotal.
    Link?
  • Options

**Betting tip** - Labour to gain Leeds North West at 10/1 with bet365.com. Even when Michael Foot took Labour to disaster in 1983 the party was still able to make 4 seat gains in the process. Leeds North West looks like it could be one of the very few gains of the night for Labour this time. With the current polling it’s probably fair to look at this seat as a 3-way marginal. With the Liberal Democrats struggling against expectations in the general election Greg Mulholland looks vulnerable to Corbyn’s Labour in a constituency with a lot of students and young graduates.

Corbyn visited the constituency last week and so big were the crowds that roads had to be closed. While Corbynmania might not be present in the vast majority of marginal seats, it’s fair to say that that it is very clearly here as the news reports show:

Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

The only downside for Labour is that UKIP aren’t standing a candidate and the Greens are. But this is probably a seat with a bit of a ceiling to the number of people who would vote Conservative. I think Labour are right in the mix here and I wouldn’t be sleeping easy if I were Greg Mulholland. Ladbrokes price a Labour gain at 5/1 (which I still think represents value) but the 10s with Bet365 is very generous:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/leeds-north-west/winning-party

I'm afraid to say that is a stonking tip.
  • Options
    Charles said:

But this could all have been resolved if Merkel had accepted May's proposal

A certain kind of Brexiteer will cling to this delusion throughout the entire disastrous process. It'll all be because Merkel is a 'bloody difficult woman'.
  • Options

Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

As I posted the other day, I can't understand why I am not being directed to campaign in Leeds NW rather than in safe Leeds Central.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    @SandyRentool - because it's votes not seats that matters in the mind of the Corbynistas.
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited May 2017

jonny83 said:

Blair won in 2005 on a platform of "I've already invaded a random Middle East country"!
    Well, not quite, Sandy - he won on a platform of "I invaded a provenly dangerous Middle Eastern country", which isn't quite the same thing. I am flippantly suggesting he could actually have run on an invade-a-random-country ticket and still not lost enough support to lose the election.

Williamglenn's counter-example of joining the euro is much better, in that it's something out-there that he'd have liked to do. Of course the reason that specific policy never happened was because Blair was at odds with his own Chancellor. One is left with the odd feeling that Blair wanted to be PM because he wanted to be PM because he wanted to be PM (and this was certainly the case with Brown).

It seems a bit odd to have politicians who so obviously enter politics to be PM as an end in itself with no particular agenda in mind. It's as though their parties are just franchises that may take them where they want to be, in the same way that a businessman doesn't much care if he runs a Honda franchise or a BMW franchise as long as it pays.

I suppose though that this is true of all politicians these last 40 years, apart from Thatcher, Farage and the SNP.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:
    To the 'May is teetotal' claim.....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That's not just.

If the EU will, we will

So you think we had lost our sovereignty after all. Without asking the electorates opinion.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I've just thought, if the proposals for residential care go through, what's to stop councils in the affluent south setting up 5 star luxury homes staffed with overpaid hangers on, paid for by the £ millions of equity languishing in old Londoners piles?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

I'm afraid to say that is a stonking tip.
    Great tip. BACKED. First and possibly only bet of the election for me. I like a longshot value bet. Note to PBers: THIS DOES NOT MEAN I AM PREDICTING A LAB WIN IN LEEDS NW. But I have backed it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@SandyRentool - because it's votes not seats that matters in the mind of the Corbynistas.

And here's me thinking that it is because Jezza is such a fan of Hilary Benn that he wants to see him returned with an increased majority!
  • Options

Charles said:

A certain kind of Brexiteer will cling to this delusion throughout the entire disastrous process. It'll all be because Merkel is a 'bloody difficult woman'.

If Brexit does not go well many, many people will get the blame - including a wide range of foreigners and any number of government critics. What you can be absolutely sure of, though, is that the wealthy, right-wing Brexiteers who sold the snake oil in the first place, and told everybody that there would be little to no downside in leaving, will accept absolutely no responsibility whatsoever.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737

The need to avoid the possibility of some ordinary Scotch person being seen to tell Tessy to giruy is positively neurotic.

"Scotch person"?
  • Options

Funnily enough, Special Branch don't particularly like advertising the PMs movements in advance.

The only people making anything of this are SNP activists who appear determined to disrupt the event.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:
    I read that on here, that she doesn't drink because it affects her diabetes. As you are mates with her, maybe you can confirm it?
  • Options

Charles said:

What was May's proposal? Have you seen it?

Not myself, but as reported it was we guarantee pre-existing rights of EU citizens if the EU members reciprocate for British citizens abroad.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

**Betting tip** - Labour to gain Leeds North West at 10/1 with bet365.com.

Thanks Henry - good spot.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

Now they've unrelieved their manifesto they need to get back on to Brexit and Corbyn 24/7 from now until 8th June.
    If it wasn't for Brexit and the threat of Corbyn I doubt I could vote for TMay. Too many stupid, nannying ideas. Ugh.

Incidentally I had drinks with a lefty friend last night; he despises Corbyn and wasn't going to vote Labour, now he is, because he thinks Corbyn has no chance, and he doesn't want a Tory landslide.

How many think like him?

If enough think like him, then Corbyn will get enough votes to hang on.

And completely annihilate the Labour party.

• Options

Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

As I posted the other day, I can't understand why I am not being directed to campaign in Leeds NW rather than in safe Leeds Central.
    Indeed. The seat includes Leeds 6 (Headingley area) which has one of the highest concentrations of students in the UK. 10-1 is absurd value. Thanks to Henry for the tip.
  • Options
    Brexit has handed the Conservatives a large vote share but leadership can win them a landslide says Opinium’s James Crouch.

https://www.research-live.com/article/opinion/economy--makes-way-for-brexit-in-voters-minds/id/5022682#.WR7FNc0Ictw.twitter
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:
    I read that on here, that she doesn't drink because it affects her diabetes. As you are mates with her, maybe you can confirm it?
    She certainly wasn't teetotal at University. She was President of the Edmund Burke Society whose purposes were 'The making of funny speeches, the consumption of port and the minimisation of the President's bank balance' (the President paid for the port and you got an extra glass if you spoke...)
  • Options

Charles said:

No, it won't be.

I understand why Merkel took this position - having spent years of my life (which I will never get back) negotiating with Germans they take a very structured and methodical approach ("A before B before C").

Anglo-Saxons tend to be more outcome orientated.

It is clear that the right outcome is a reciprocal deal. But from a negotiation standpoint you simply can't make a unilateral gesture. May has made a conditional offer to secure the right outcome. Merkel's response was "A before B" ("no negotiation before Article 50")

Cultural differences like this are part of the reason why the EU doesn't work for the UK
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Basically the Nats have lost their one-time supporters who respect democratic decisions.
    The swing in Banff and Buchan could be around 20% I reckon. Will be the biggest pro-TOry swing of the entire election.

The constituency was 61% leave, miles higher than anywhere else in Scotland.
    One battle doesn't win the war. May has outflanked Sturgeon by calling the election just after she called for Indy Ref 2, so the SNP will lose a few MPs as a result, but the SNP will still have 40+ MPs, plus control of the Scottish government. Tories and Brexiteers are still the minority and that isn't going to change. If Sturgeon continues to play her hand badly, she'll be replaced but Scotland and the SNP will remain a thorn in May's side. And if Brexit continues to be mishandled in Westminster the new Scottish Tory MSPs and MPs will be run out of town.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    SeanT said:

Incidentally I had drinks with a lefty friend last night; he despises Corbyn and wasn't going to vote Labour, now he is, because he thinks Corbyn has no chance, and he doesn't want a Tory landslide.

How many think like him?

I think two factors arre converging - Labour people who don't like Corbyn are coming to feel he's not that bad (as IanB2 says, the reality is proving less awful than the cartoon image conveyed by the media), plus they are really allergic to the idea of a huge Tory majority doing all kinds of weird stuff unrelated to Brexit (from internet censorship to fox-hunting) which they wouldn't risk on a small majority.

Against that, the monolithic support of the Tory media is a firewall for May, and I'm not expected the hit in the weekend polls that you anticipate. I think Labour will slip back slightly now we've passed peak limelight.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

So with no deal, how does Mrs May deliver the improvements to living standards she is promising and the elimination of the deficit within eight years? A cynic might conclude she is making promises she knows she cannot keep in the hope of being able to pin the blame for failure on the European Union. Surely not.

A cynic, or more likely a partisan supporter of an opposition party, might well say that, but would be entirely wrong to do so. She's made it absolutely clear that she wants a deal. She's made it very clear what kind of deal she wants - one which is very much in the interests of both sides. She's done everything she could, including calling this election, to make such a deal more likely.

If she's unsuccessful, it will be entirely because the EU27 don't want to do a deal. That would be very unfortunate, for both sides, and it will indeed make the economic position worse. No reasonable person would be able to blame her for that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

If it wasn't for Brexit and the threat of Corbyn I doubt I could vote for TMay. Too many stupid, nannying ideas. Ugh.

How many think like him?
    A lot of lefties are now talking that way Sean. The thinking seems to be that Corbyn will go anyway if he loses by 60+ seats but then Labour will be in contention to win again in 2022. My view is that any vote will be interpreted as a vote for Corbyn, although I think it's much harder than people think (or the PB Tories desperately wishfully think) for him to hang on in the face of even a modestly thumping defeat.

Agree about May. Ugh. She's a meddling busybody. A provincial dullard.
  • Options

SeanT said:

How many think like him?

I think two factors arre converging - Labour people who don't like Corbyn are coming to feel he's not that bad (as IanB2 says, the reality is proving less awful than the cartoon image conveyed by the media), plus they are really allergic to the idea of a huge Tory majority doing all kinds of weird stuff unrelated to Brexit (from internet censorship to fox-hunting) which they wouldn't risk on a small majority.

Against that, the monolithic support of the Tory media is a firewall for May, and I'm not expected the hit in the weekend polls that you anticipate. I think Labour will slip back slightly now we've passed peak limelight.
    The one thing I will admit Nick is that Corbyn is having a good campaign – he seems to like campaigning, whereas the other leaders clearly loathe it (May in particular looks like she desperately wants the whole thing to end). He is certainly not as bad as the caricature. I'll give him that.

Agree about the polling – I think the PB Tory panic is just the normal bedwetting. They'll be back up to around a 20pt lead by Sunday night, I should think.
  • Options

If she's unsuccessful, it will be entirely becuase the EU27 don't want to do a deal. That would be very unfortunate, for both sides, and it will indeed make the economic position worse. No reasonable person would be able to blame her for that.

How many times in how many ways should the EU state that it is not going to offer a 'have cake and eat it' deal before it ceases to be news? Seeking such a deal is unfortunate and will be met with an entirely predictable and consistent response.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,981
    bobajobPB said:

Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

Indeed. The seat includes Leeds 6 (Headingley area) which has one of the highest concentrations of students in the UK. 10-1 is absurd value. Thanks to Henry for the tip.
    6/1 now sadly, still a great tip.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited May 2017
    In terms of constituency bets Labour are currently big value in
    a) Lib Dem facing seats
    b) London marginals
    c) Welsh marginals
    d) Seats with high ethnic demographic

Any seat that contains "ex-mining towns" or a large "white working class vote", avoid with a giant stick.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:
    She certainly wasn't teetotal at University. She was President of the Edmund Burke Society whose purposes were 'The making of funny speeches, the consumption of port and the minimisation of the President's bank balance' (the President paid for the port and you got an extra glass if you spoke...)
    I am sure I read somewhere (here?) that she was now a teetotaller, on account of her diabetes. I'm not able to verify it easily – apologies if it is inaccurate.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:
    Does she fake it now?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:
    Does she fake it now?
    The crop on that picture is er...
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

bobajobPB said:

Lib Dem 15,948
    Labour 13,041
    Con 8,083
    Green 3,041
    UKIP 2,997

6/1 now sadly, still a great tip.
    Damn, missed the 10/1, the power of PB again. Great tip @HenryGManson :)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

How many think like him?

Hmm. It's possible Labour might not gain, but I find it hard to believe the Tories won't take a hit from their utterly stupid social care policies (stupid as in badly presented and very hard to sell).

Dementia Tax. It's already a meme. Calamitously inept politics.
    Like the 'bedroom tax' it is only a meme in areas that are unlikely to swing Tory, amongst those who like to moan about Tories. Many JAMs will be pleased that they don't have to spend their life savings so that Mr Richbags can have subsidelised care within his expensive house....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

One case.

Yes, it's a difficult one this, with the balance between ensuring that everyone gets a vote but also ensuring that everyone entitled has the opportunity to vote.

Hopefully the recent re-registration exercise has removed a lot of the opportunity for fraud, as would tighter control of postal votes (perhaps accompanied by early voting). Allowing the list of ID that Royal Mail uses might be a starting point, I believe the Electoral Commission have already suggested something similar.

We need to stay well away from making access to voting a partisan issue, as it is in the USA, where both sides bring up well rehearsed arguments for and against all sorts of things related to voting, when it's clear the reasons behind their position are purely partisan. Getting multi-party support behind an EC proposal is probably the correct way forward here.

There's also the added, shall we say "Cultural" issues in certain "Communities", which give their own problems. These are best resolved by better policing on the day of the election, especially around polling stations.
    Voter ID probably won't get through the Lords, and quite a few Tories would rebel too. As has been said so often, it's trying to solve a problem that hasn't been shown to exist, and therefore looks partisan. Postal voting has been a much bigger problem and one that still has to be resolved.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

How many think like him?
    A lot of lefties are now talking that way Sean. The thinking seems to be that Corbyn will go anyway if he loses by 60+ seats but then Labour will be in contention to win again in 2022. My view is that any vote will be interpreted as a vote for Corbyn, although I think it's much harder than people think (or the PB Tories desperately wishfully think) for him to hang on in the face of even a modestly thumping defeat.

Agree about May. Ugh. She's a meddling busybody. A provincial dullard.
    It's very telling that you repeatedly use "provincial" as an insult (you've done it at least twice in this thread alone!). Has it occurred to you that it may say more about you than it does about the provinces (whatever they are?)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Artist said:

In terms of constituency bets Labour are currently big value in
    a) Lib Dems facing seats
    b) London marginals
    c) Welsh marginals
    d) Seats with high ethnic demographic

Any seat that contains "ex-mining towns" or a large "white working class vote", avoid with a giant stick.

Harrow West seems value as a Lab hold at 4/1,

A review here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/18/harrow-west-corbyn-people-are-more-likely-to-raise-fly-tipping
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

jonny83 said:

How many think like him?
    I for one. I'm even out delivering leaflets in the nextdoor marginal to try and stop the Tory taking it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

How many think like him?

Hmm. It's possible Labour might not gain, but I find it hard to believe the Tories won't take a hit from their utterly stupid social care policies (stupid as in badly presented and very hard to sell).

Dementia Tax. It's already a meme. Calamitously inept politics.

PS My lefty friend is also hopeful that Corbyn will retire, immediately after a defeat, and be replaced by someone sensible and moderate. I pointed out that moderate lefties like him, returning to Labour to prevent a Tory landslide, are paradoxically guaranteeing that Corbyn will stay on, after a decent result.

He hadn't thought of that: he winced at the idea.

So he might change his mind, again.
    I don't know why they didn't just keep hammering Corbyn and Brexit and issue a manifesto with just a few key (and vague) pledges.

Cameron made the same mistake in 2010 when instead of keeping the focus on Brown and the economy he got side-tracked with that big society rubbish.

Was probably the difference between a hung parliament and an overall majority.

Theresa's mistake will probably be the difference between a workable majority 40-50 and what could've been a landslide.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,072

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:
    Does she fake it now?
    That's just a bracing glass of fox blood. To be taken naked, twice a day.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

If she's unsuccessful, it will be entirely becuase the EU27 don't want to do a deal. That would be very unfortunate, for both sides, and it will indeed make the economic position worse. No reasonable person would be able to blame her for that.

How many times in how many ways should the EU state that it is not going to offer a 'have cake and eat it' deal before it ceases to be news? Seeking such a deal is unfortunate and will be met with an entirely predictable and consistent response.
    A free trade deal is not 'have cake and eat it', it's mutually beneficial. Indeed, many Remainers argued we needed to stay in the EU because it's good at making trade deals. Then half of Belgium nearly scuppered a deal with Canada 7 years in the making, people remembered that actually the EU is incompetent at making trade deals, like it is at most other things, and said we should have stayed because of how difficult making a trade deal with the EU is.

Bottom line is that if we don't get a trade deal it will be bad for both sides and it will be down to EU ineptitude/nastiness.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Dadge said:

Sandpit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

One case.

Voter ID probably won't get through the Lords, and quite a few Tories would rebel too. As has been said so often, it's trying to solve a problem that hasn't been shown to exist, and therefore looks partisan. Postal voting has been a much bigger problem and one that still has to be resolved.
    It's in the manifesto so why would the Lords block it or Tories rebel?
  • Options

In which case there's little to discuss: our EU friends will be getting the sum total of zero as an exit payment, both sides will suffer severe economic damage, the Irish border question will be an unholy mess, and there will be utter chaos in a whole range of fields from air travel to medicines to security cooperation to financing of EU companies.

It's up to them whether they want this outcome, which as you say seems to be their current position. It's clearly not the UK's position. Therefore, it's not hard to see where the blame will lie.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,072
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

How many think like him?

The one thing I will admit Nick is that Corbyn is having a good campaign – he seems to like campaigning, whereas the other leaders clearly loathe it (May in particular looks like she desperately wants the whole thing to end). He is certainly not as bad as the caricature. I'll give him that.

Agree about the polling – I think the PB Tory panic is just the normal bedwetting. They'll be back up to around a 20pt lead by Sunday night, I should think.
    JC has had a good war and it's a long way from over. Like all right thinking people I refused to believe the stupid old twat could win but I thought that about Brexit and Trump vs HRC right up to the death.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:
    Does she fake it now?
    That's just a bracing glass of fox blood. To be taken naked, twice a day.
    No it's not. Don't you know that when you eat baby stewed in its own juices, it's the done thing to drink the liquor out of a wine glass?
This discussion has been closed.