Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview May 18th 2017 (T-21 days until Elect

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Dadge said:

Why do FN votes translate so badly into seats?
    Because they don't attract transfers in the second round, just like in the presidential election.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

@MogsyMorg: BREAKING: Paul Nuttall blames girlfriend, Natalie Portman, for debate mishap.

#itvdebate

Didn't we used to hear that Nuttall, a working class Northerner, will take away votes from Labour.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Labour did more to privatise the NHs than the Tories ever did.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Dadge said:

I think its the '2 round' voting system. FN are the one party that the others will gang up on to vote against.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    edited May 2017
    Dadge said:

They're single member constituencies with the same run-off system so not many places have 50%+ potential support for the Front National.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Dadge said:

France has a two-round FPTP system which in practice works similarly to AV. Works against extremist parties on both sides, since you almost always need 50% of the vote to win.

(Technically you can have 3 way run-offs and come through the middle, but there is a period in which people can drop out of the run-off and often do, to avoid that.)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Who gives a toss what actors and luvvies say?

They seem to think being in the public eye means we give a toss what they think.

We don't.
    I only saw it cos Bad Al retweeted it - he seems in a grump tonight for some reason. POACWAS.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,112
    Tory manifesto actually promised £8 billion more for NHS over next 2 years and further real terms rises thereafter
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

ITV News headlines not great for the Tories.... running down the losers from the Manifesto, followed by negative vox-pop.

It will be an interesting test - the manifesto launch was surely always going to be more negative than Labour's, because Labour are promising massive investment, wage rises, and an end to cutting. The Tories are abandoning deficit reduction (effectively) but are still presenting as more realistic, and therefore were going to have more negative stuff in it.

If someone thinks Corbyn is not up to the job, as seems the case, I am baffled that so many people have seemingly already returned to Labour - if significant numbers switch because the Tory manifesto has some bad parts, I will have lost all sense of why people vote the way they do, since they could not be clearer they have issues with Corbyn and Labour, and yet might jump because the Tories are shit too? To where? Back to the other crap lot?

I've read all three of the damn things, and the most detailed was the LDs, the one with the nicest policies was Labour's (mostly because it was a cash flow free for all which naturally sounds nice - obviously it had plenty of bad ones), the most measured seeming was the Tories (not surprisingly, as their message was 'let's improve on the good path we've demonstrated). The best written was the Tories, the best presented was the LDs, the clearest was the Tories.
    And the one which seems to have gone down like a bucket of sick is the Tory one - just this morning nicky campbell asking for listeners who liked some of the idea's because none coming through on radio 5 phone in .

ho ho ho R5 live is the new pollster.. just like twitter=lol .. those without jobs have time to listen to the vox pop radio station. its a yaaaaaawn.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Dadge said:

I think its the '2 round' voting system. FN are the one party that the others will gang up on to vote against.
    Macron will get his majority, either through En Marche or with Les Republicains too, then the likes of the far left and the FN may well find they have more in common than they like to admit, they will be the opposition
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

BBC news doing a voxpox of pensioners in Halifax and at a snooker club and most seem to still back May and think her plans fair enough and back cuts in immigration, though a few mums unhappy about the cuts in free school meals

I didn't know what to think of that policy, it sounds so benign, but an acquaintance I truly respect was fiercely opposed to it as it had been instituted, I was quite taken aback.
    It will wind up southerners with 600k three bed terraces - but they will still vote for May ahead of the pitiful alternatives.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

They seem to think being in the public eye means we give a toss what they think.

We don't.
    I've grown to despise many luvvies like that. They have a child's view of politics usually shared only by senior politicians when they are posturing (and in defence of the latter, I imagine it is just posturing), seeing no potential merit in another side, attributing evil motivation to those they hate, and generally acting as though no one reasonable could vote for someone other than their side, when the fact is millions of people will vote for the Tories, probably a lot more than those who will vote Labour (and certainly more than LD), and Labour too will still get millions, so the alternate bashing doesn't work.

It's childlike, it's arrogant, it's annoying, and yet they seem to imagine themselves as really bloody sophisticated and noble.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MogsyMorg: BREAKING: Paul Nuttall blames girlfriend, Natalie Portman, for debate mishap.

#itvdebate

Could be worse. Could have called his girlfriend Leanne.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    blueblue said:

Hi all - very long term lurker here who's finally been prompted to sign up by this election. The manifesto seems not to have been a total car crash, but prodding your core vote with three weeks to go seems a bit unnecessary. The thing that gets me is the wasted opportunity to do something really spectacular, e.g. actually providing £350 million a week extra for the NHS, two-thirds of could be achieved by scrapping foreign aid. Result: catnip for Kippers, Labour voters, and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Average alike. Sigh.

Welcome Blue.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

BBC news doing a voxpox of pensioners in Halifax and at a snooker club and most seem to still back May and think her plans fair enough and back cuts in immigration, though a few mums unhappy about the cuts in free school meals

I didn't know what to think of that policy, it sounds so benign, but an acquaintance I truly respect was fiercely opposed to it as it had been instituted, I was quite taken aback.
    There will be some who dislike aspects of this manifesto but May is prepared to sacrifice a few seats I think for a mandate for the tough choices ahead
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tory manifesto actually promised £8 billion more for NHS over next 2 years and further real terms rises thereafter
    No no, they want to rundown and destroy the NHS, must do, I read it all the time. They do a terrible job of that given they want to run it down, you'd think it'd be even worse by now.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Danny565 said:

Bahaha, loved Nuttall forgetting Leanne Wood's name, then the camera slowly panning across the 3 women's faces.

TBF Isn't the former leader of the Greens Natalie Wood?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

But didn't Corbyn promise something like £30 billion after he's nationalised Google and Amazon?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Been out in a rain-soaked town looking at the river through glass, and the veil of incessant falling water. I'm soaked. No idea how people from Lancashire/Cumbria/Scotland put up with this on a daily basis, but I quite liked it.

I note that we are all testosterone-gooey over Leanne Wood's accent and that Corbyn Is Crap Is PM.

Only on PB.

I have been watching a team play a makeshift defence and midfield, with an incomprehensible formation let in six goals at home. In the rain.

Good preparation for 3 weeks tonight as an LD unfortunately. I need to stock up on brandy for medicinal purposes methinks.

We need Lamb to win so he can take over as leader.
  • Options
    Well I would love a much small state, and a much smaller deficit, and much smaller taxes. So maybe he is trying to get me to vote tory, But I'm reluctant because that's not what is in there manifesto and looking at May I don't think its in her instinct ether.

I'm not shore whether his tweet will convince me but it was nice that he tried.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The social care stuff in the Con manifesto is a little bit of good news for Norman Lamb.

Not sure it'll be enough for him to keep his seat - but it's a real, scary tory policy he can run with in his leaflets.

He has a decent profile on health & social care and the average age of his constituents is really high.

If only Tim wasn't rattling on about Brexit 24 7
    Ironic that he sat out the coalition years to nurse leadership ambitions, only to screw his party into the ground with an awful strategy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

There will be some who dislike aspects of this manifesto but May is prepared to sacrifice a few seats I think for a mandate for the tough choices ahead
    I'm sure she will win - but Corbyn will be closer to 35 than 25, which is dispiriting, so May won't be as free and clear on seats as she could be (which in all fairness is not a terrible thing in itself), but with the LDs likely going backwards unless they do really well in Scotland, it's a bit of a worry that Corbyn will be able to claim a decent result (compared to what was predicted for him).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2017

I hope he has never used any of those tax efficiency schemes that are so widely used by the luuvies and starving the Exchequer of the monies...
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

But didn't Corbyn promise something like £30 billion
    Yes
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    The depressing thing for me is that NO, if you vote Tory it isn't coming.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Danny565 said:

Bahaha, loved Nuttall forgetting Leanne Wood's name, then the camera slowly panning across the 3 women's faces.

So what's your point, David ?
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

But didn't Corbyn promise something like £30 billion after he's nationalised Google and Amazon?
    And after Paul Nutall is chosen as the next pope...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I wonder if he has taken the time to examine each party's policy offer based on more than just opposing media's interpretation before taking a view.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Natalie Bennett of the Greens on This Week
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

UKIP are improving from being decades behind the times to just 2 years?

The Natalie bit would be right in that case at least, assuming he mixed up who was Leanne and who was Caroline.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Shame Paul Nuttall isn't a guest...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Charles said:

Danny565 said:

No.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Been out in a rain-soaked town looking at the river through glass, and the veil of incessant falling water. I'm soaked. No idea how people from Lancashire/Cumbria/Scotland put up with this on a daily basis, but I quite liked it.

I note that we are all testosterone-gooey over Leanne Wood's accent and that Corbyn Is Crap Is PM.

Only on PB.

I have been watching a team play a makeshift defence and midfield, with an incomprehensible formation let in six goals at home. In the rain.

Good preparation for 3 weeks tonight as an LD unfortunately. I need to stock up on brandy for medicinal purposes methinks.

Spurs wanted some pay-back methinks for the draw at the Lane earlier this season and last year's PL games too?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    BigRich said:

Dadge said:

Le Pen running for a seat in Calais, she won Pas de Calais in both rounds of the presidential election so she is likely to win
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/806518/Marine-Le-Pen-Calais-candidate-elections
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Ironic that he sat out the coalition years to nurse leadership ambitions, only to screw his party into the ground with an awful strategy.

Clegg returning would be a big improvement.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

ITV News headlines not great for the Tories.... running down the losers from the Manifesto, followed by negative vox-pop.

It will be an interesting test - the manifesto launch was surely always going to be more negative than Labour's, because Labour are promising massive investment, wage rises, and an end to cutting. The Tories are abandoning deficit reduction (effectively) but are still presenting as more realistic, and therefore were going to have more negative stuff in it.

If someone thinks Corbyn is not up to the job, as seems the case, I am baffled that so many people have seemingly already returned to Labour - if significant numbers switch because the Tory manifesto has some bad parts, I will have lost all sense of why people vote the way they do, since they could not be clearer they have issues with Corbyn and Labour, and yet might jump because the Tories are shit too? To where? Back to the other crap lot?

I've read all three of the damn things, and the most detailed was the LDs, the one with the nicest policies was Labour's (mostly because it was a cash flow free for all which naturally sounds nice - obviously it had plenty of bad ones), the most measured seeming was the Tories (not surprisingly, as their message was 'let's improve on the good path we've demonstrated). The best written was the Tories, the best presented was the LDs, the clearest was the Tories.
    And the one which seems to have gone down like a bucket of sick is the Tory one - just this morning nicky campbell asking for listeners who liked some of the idea's because none coming through on radio 5 phone in .

Well it is the one that is less 'give everybody free stuff' and more 'give with one hand, taketh with the other', I'm not surprised its gone down poorly, particularly since the consensus seems to be it is also not aimed at some of the core Tory vote (which May is taking for granted).
    Taken for granted and the piss taken out for them .The lower middle class who can not afford lawers to get around the dementia tax The only asset they have is their house and anything over 100k could be taken from them for care it is risible in the extreme.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    marke09 said:

She taught Diane Abbott all she will ever know .
  • Options

Scott_P said:

#itvdebate

Could be worse. Could have called his girlfriend Leanne.
    Using wrong name usually ends badly.

And yes, first hand experience there.

The location /situation can make the situation much worse.

Double tick.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Mortimer said:

marke09 said:

Shame Paul Nuttall isn't a guest...
    He'd probably call her Gordon.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Well it is the one that is less 'give everybody free stuff' and more 'give with one hand, taketh with the other', I'm not surprised its gone down poorly, particularly since the consensus seems to be it is also not aimed at some of the core Tory vote (which May is taking for granted).
    Taken for granted and the piss taken out for them .The lower middle class who can not afford lawers to get around the dementia tax The only asset they have is their house and anything over 100k could be taken from them for care it is risible in the extreme.
    May is aiming to win big by going after people who've not gone Tory before, and trusting the rest will put up and shut up. What will they do, vote Corbyn? Or Farron? So far they won't the latter, and not enough of the former to stop her winning, though possible enough to stop her winning as big as she hopes.
  • Options
    Leader of The Yorkshire Party just appeared on Look North. I didn't realise they weren't called Yorkshire First any more.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    RAIN
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

If you're trying to build a broad coalition of support, then it follows that you can't tailor all of your policies to a narrow section of the electorate. Tony Blair didn't get where he got in 1997 by aiming all of his messages at the Labour core vote, still less the party membership.

There is a straightforward choice in this election between the Labour manifesto - summarised by one wag as "Nationalise all the stuff! Tax all the rich! Spend all the money!" - and the Conservative manifesto, which says that there can be some nice things but the general population is going to have to get used to paying for them. The election is going to be a stern test of the exact extent to which the population of this country has become infantilised.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

UKIP are improving from being decades behind the times to just 2 years?

The Natalie bit would be right in that case at least, assuming he mixed up who was Leanne and who was Caroline.
    At least he didn't address Tim as Michael.
    Maybe it's a girl thing.
  • Options
    glw said:

Mortimer said:

Well it could be down to him, Williams, Farron and Carmichael, (probably not worse, though none are completely safe), so it might happen - although Clegg had seemed revitalised post Brexit, as the LDs seemed like they had a purpose again, and one which might help them revive a bit.

IF that dream dies a second time, I don't know how he could keep fighting on, how the party could keep fighting on. Not making huge gains is one thing, making zero or negative progress is another.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Only on PB.

Spurs wanted some pay-back methinks for the draw at the Lane earlier this season and last year's PL games too?
    I think so too. Spurs are going to be the best team to not win anything since the Dutch national side of the Seventies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We don't.
    I've grown to despise many luvvies like that. They have a child's view of politics usually shared only by senior politicians when they are posturing (and in defence of the latter, I imagine it is just posturing), seeing no potential merit in another side, attributing evil motivation to those they hate, and generally acting as though no one reasonable could vote for someone other than their side, when the fact is millions of people will vote for the Tories, probably a lot more than those who will vote Labour (and certainly more than LD), and Labour too will still get millions, so the alternate bashing doesn't work.

It's childlike, it's arrogant, it's annoying, and yet they seem to imagine themselves as really bloody sophisticated and noble.
    I think part of the reason 'actors' and other media types huddle to the left, is they get confused with something being popular and good. if a film is popular then is makes money and is considered Good, and so a good film is a popular film, same with a song etc. but with politics a popular policy is not always a good policy, 80 years ago is was popular to keep homosexuality a criminal offense, but this was bad, then as now. Promising to give more 'free' stuff to people is almost always popular with the people who get it therefor in some peoples mind is a good policy. even if the policy have bad or very bad unintended consequences, like bankrupting the nation.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I am pretty sure that for TV and movie actors, this stuff is actively counter-productive. It seriously annoys fans who politically disagree, most neutrals are confused, irritated or slightly alienated, the few fans who are passionately in agreement will passionately agree - but they already agreed, anyway.

A bad move. Cf Hugh Grant on May. He comes across as a terrible, ageing snob.

I am less sure of the impact of very famous writers. They are maybe expected to have written opinions. e.g. I think J K Rowling can have a positive effect on a cause she gets behind.

I agree. I like Sheen as an actor, his right-on politics annoy me. Hugh Grant, well other than Four Weddings I can't think of anything else I've seen with him in it. He now looks a bit washed up, there are loads of younger posh pretty-boy British actors that can fill his shoes, and have, he's now famous for Hurley, Divine Brown, and campaigning against the press.

Rowling's interesting as even if I don't agree with her she's generally witty and smart, so that you have to concede her opinion isn't just following the herd.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,972
    edited May 2017
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

May needs to U-turn on this, ok I'm not a massive fan of the LD reversal of the IHT but that is alot fairer. This is a cretinous policy that is going to sting precisely the sorts of lower middle class voters she needs to get out to win alot of Labour seats.

It's like some sick National Death lottery. The pooled scheme was a much better proposal.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    GPs are mostly private businesses.

Are you suggesting they should be nationalised?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Charles said:

Danny565 said:

No?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Well it could be down to him, Williams, Farron and Carmichael, (probably not worse, though none are completely safe), so it might happen - although Clegg had seemed revitalised post Brexit, as the LDs seemed like they had a purpose again, and one which might help them revive a bit.

IF that dream dies a second time, I don't know how he could keep fighting on, how the party could keep fighting on. Not making huge gains is one thing, making zero or negative progress is another.
    LDs have got very used to picking ourselves up after defeat.

We will survive and evolve. This election came two years too soon for us and Labour, which is exactly why it was called. No bigger majority was needed.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Of course if you are multimillionaire Hollywood actor who spends half his time in North America you may not always be exactly up to speed with what is happening on the ground beyond the latest Corbyn press release
  • Options
    Before Uber existed, how did the human race survive?
  • Options

kle4 said:

madmacs said:

Cheltenham 4 LD, 1 Con leaflet

God bless them, they do try hard.

In locals near me the LDs had 3 leaflet drops, the Tories none (the candidate outright told me they hadn't done half the electoral area), and the latter won, easily, in what had been for a long time strong LD territory. Is there any indication leafleting helps more than marginally?
    I've always been of the opinion that the 'ground game' is generally pointless. Moreso in the era ofinfo online campaigning. It does give the activists a sense of purpose and so isn't totally wasted.
    Most people don't see the online info. Most people are not on Facebook or twitter.

People do see leaflets through the door even if they take no notice.
  • Options
    Fallon floundering on Newsnight. Getting immigration down to the tens of thousands is not a policy, it is an aim !
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

Before Venture Capitalists were subsidizing minicab fares to the tune of fifteen billion dollar and counting? Hard to say, it was a primitive time.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited May 2017
    Evan Davies is having a meltdown on Newsnight.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    kle4 said:

We don't.

Twitter performs a massive public service, demonstrating how shallow people really are, particularly photogenic slebs who can only act a part as long as it requires understated diffidence. If I were a dictator I'd make Twitter compulsory for everyone in the public eye, if only to expose their intellectual deficiencies. Here's a particularly egregious specimen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-39950555

Who would want their local council run by someone who has nothing better to do on a Saturday evening than watch the Eurovision Song Contest (his popular opinions notwithstanding)?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

They phoned for a mini cab.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

We don't.

I have come to despise Gary Lineker. Shut the fuck up, you creepy, trillionaire, oddly brindled football-gnome.
    He has turned into a left wing Nigel farage..The pub bore you don't want to get stuck on a plane next to, especially if they hand out complementary copies of the daily mail.
  • Options

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

No?
    Natalie Bennett.

Natalie Wood was Robert Wagner's wife.
    Drowned in 1981, nobody convicted of the (probable) murder.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

kle4 said:

We don't.

I think part of the reason 'actors' and other media types huddle to the left, is they get confused with something being popular and good. if a film is popular then is makes money and is considered Good, and so a good film is a popular film, same with a song etc. but with politics a popular policy is not always a good policy, 80 years ago is was popular to keep homosexuality a criminal offense, but this was bad, then as now. Promising to give more 'free' stuff to people is almost always popular with the people who get it therefor in some peoples mind is a good policy. even if the policy have bad or very bad unintended consequences, like bankrupting the nation.
    I think that might be right. 'Do you want to cut public services?' most people would say no. 'Will you be willing to pay to keep them?' gets a more complicated response, meaning politicians, on all sides, have to strike a balance between what people would like and what people are willing to pay for (as borrowing can only work so far). A simple good vs evil conflict where one side inexplicably wants to cut good services for no reason as though there is no cost to providing them, is lovely, we'd all like politics to be so simple. But it isn't. Even an unrealistic manifesto will make tough choices on some things (even if it is deciding you can only increase funding by 250 billion rather than 500 billion, or something like that).

But luvvies don't want to consider that. It's are you a good person, or not?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

No no, they want to rundown and destroy the NHS, must do, I read it all the time. They do a terrible job of that given they want to run it down, you'd think it'd be even worse by now.
    This is the same Labour line every election they lose
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Only on PB.

Just a meaningless fag-end of the season game.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

How will they exist when Corbyn's new laws put them out of business?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Only on PB.

You forgot to mention the emergence of the PB Varoufakis fan club!
    +1 (I have to be - Mrs D is Greek Cypriot and adores him for taking on the EU)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Fallon floundering on Newsnight. Getting immigration down to the tens of thousands is not a policy, it is an aim !

It's a 'please stick with us another 3 weeks UKIP voters' figleaf.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited May 2017
    glw said:

Mortimer said:

Clegg was the one who buried them into electoral irrelevance. Farron has won a by election at least and hasn't failed yet. The picture in Lib Dem target seats may not be reflected in national polls.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Clegg is fanatically pro the EU so is as much to blame for the Lib Dem position as Farron.
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Well he has his magic money tree and his tax the rich policy so can offer what he likes
  • Options
    glw said:

bobajobPB said:

That is one way of getting through to londeners....Team twat will ruin uber, deliveroo, Amazon same day delivery, ....
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

May needs to U-turn on this, ok I'm not a massive fan of the LD reversal of the IHT but that is alot fairer. This is a cretinous policy that is going to sting precisely the sorts of lower middle class voters she needs to get out to win alot of Labour seats.

It's like some sick National Death lottery. The pooled scheme was a much better proposal.
    I agree the pooled scheme has much more sense.Surely as a society we could do this .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Well he has his magic money tree and his tax the rich policy so can offer what he likes
    Magic money forest...Tories are just using a single tree out of it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure she will win - but Corbyn will be closer to 35 than 25, which is dispiriting, so May won't be as free and clear on seats as she could be (which in all fairness is not a terrible thing in itself), but with the LDs likely going backwards unless they do really well in Scotland, it's a bit of a worry that Corbyn will be able to claim a decent result (compared to what was predicted for him).
    If it keeps Corbyn as Labour leader I doubt May will care too much
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    With all the focus on Corbyn no-one paid attention to what a turkey farron is. The LDs made a very poor choice .
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

We don't.

I have come to despise Gary Lineker. Shut the fuck up, you creepy, trillionaire, oddly brindled football-gnome.
    This sums up our celebrities - Gary lineker in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHnjlQC6Puw
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Three choices for elderly care:

1. Those with means are made to pay for it
    2. Money comes from general taxation - throwing the burden on everybody including the young and the poor, just so that large estates can be passed on to children intact
    3. Don't bother, leave people to sit in their own piss

There is a choice number 4 - create a proper insurance scheme for elderly care which could help to deal with the tsunami wave of ageing baby boomers - but since Theresa May doesn't have a Tardis, and cannot, therefore go back and persuade Harold Wilson to set such a thing up, I think we can let her off for not going down that route.

Absent choice 4, choice 1 is the least worst option. There are a finite number of taxpayers, who already have to deal with high living costs and a fairly heavy burden of taxation. The Government has to make a lot of difficult choices about what it can afford to pay for and what it can't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

This is the same Labour line every election they lose
    The best way to combat this rather tedious attack line is to actually destroy the NHS.

You could argue that's overkill but it'd mean that someone would have to think up a new negative strategy for the first time in almost a century.
  • Options
    glw said:

bobajobPB said:

Given that there is no chance of Corbyn being elected, I'll sleep easy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

LDs have got very used to picking ourselves up after defeat.

We will survive and evolve. This election came two years too soon for us and Labour, which is exactly why it was called. No bigger majority was needed.
    No it wasn't, though it'd be nice for May, but you'd think your lot could make some progress even if it is a bit early. Your membership was revitalised, you had ticked up in the polls and Labour are led by Corbyn and co.

Instead you've gone backwards and holding half the MPs you currently have will be tough. I admire the party came back from a handful of MPs once before to a position of prominence, and that expecting to be back at even half the 2010 level was not on the cards, but they should be able to achieve something. I've always thought the party deserved more credit than it gets from the voters, but they've become even more irrelevant than ever,

No, it really is about May and Corbyn, so even though I did in the locals, what's the point of voting LD again?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Magic money forest...Tories are just using a single tree out of it.
    Torus made their magic money tree their logo.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Pulpstar said:

Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

You will be electing a sick National Death Lottery Candidate in NE Derbyshire though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Only on PB.

Was lovely and sunny in Aberystwyth this afternoon!

And Leanne has a delightful Indian accent :lol:
  • Options
    Geoff

Just amazing in The Great Race.
  • Options

kle4 said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Clegg is fanatically pro the EU so is as much to blame for the Lib Dem position as Farron.
    Well if they go down to 4 MPs (which is possible), for a start they might not survive as a party, and if they do they cannot go any further backwards for at least 5 years (pending by-elections or another early election call).
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

glw said:

bobajobPB said:

Well those 3000 moamentumers turning up for his victory party are going to be disappointed...
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Sean T's geography is letting him down; Neasden is not "the borders of Primrose Hill"
  • Options
    Angela Rayner is shoutier than Rebecca L-B. Didn't know that was possible.
  • Options

That is one way of getting through to londeners....Team twat will ruin uber, deliveroo, Amazon same day delivery, ....

I wonder how many people who are part of the Corbyn cult realise what full workers rights from day one and no ZHC means for the services they now take for granted?

Not that I'm defending such companies, as I think that they often have exploitative business models.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

We don't.

He has turned into a left wing Nigel farage..The pub bore you don't want to get stuck on a plane next to, especially if they hand out complementary copies of the daily mail.
    He's drunk on the weird high of political Twitter-approval. For someone used to the intellectually dull life of football commentary, it must be quite intoxicating.

I wonder if he will come a cropper.
    Jk Rowling is actually interesting for that in that she says it how she sees it and the twatterai often ain't happy because it.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Artist said:

glw said:

Mortimer said:

Clegg was the one who buried them into electoral irrelevance. Farron has won a by election at least and hasn't failed yet. The picture in Lib Dem target seats may not be reflected in national polls.
    The line is still 13.5 seats even after the continuing poor polls. And 10-20pc vote share is still fav ahead of 0-10.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Only on PB.

Was lovely and sunny in Aberystwyth this afternoon!

And Leanne has a delightful Indian accent :lol:
    :smiley:
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Evening.

Only on PB.

I think so too. Spurs are going to be the best team to not win anything since the Dutch national side of the Seventies.
    could well be right but what a season it's been anyway... looking forward to the BBC pundits predictions at the start of the season where circa 40 of them predicted the top 4 and from memory only Chris Waddle (maybe Jenas and/or Muphy) had Spurs even in the top 4.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

glw said:

bobajobPB said:

Well those 3000 moamentumers turning up for his victory party are going to be disappointed...
    They are so delusional they will think he's won!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Conservative tweet is fucking bizarre though "After 7 years of Conservatives in power things are a bit shit" was my take away message.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Geoff

Just amazing in The Great Race.

I particularly liked her interpretation of West Side Story but yes, agree with you about The Great Race.
This discussion has been closed.