Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters move against Trump on the “will he survive ” markets

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

That graph supports May's assertion on the falling pound, to be honest.

On FS: Boris is a joke and should be turfed out, but Grieve's too damned wet. For which side would he be batting?

Grieve should be Lord Chancellor.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited May 2017
    tyson said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:
    I'm no kipper but Jesus H :

Council's director of public health, Vicky Hobart, ...'Consanguinity is very common in many cultures and the worry with something like this is that we are dealing with very small numbers.

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. I am suprised only 9% of the deaths in Redbridge are of Pakistani heritage, this article leaves out too many details.

What about Norfolk then? Reproducing via cousins would be viewed as spreading the gene pool far too much.....
    Iceland has a smallish population where you'll inevitably marry your ~ 11th to 5th cousin or so, but such a degree of seperation is no issue. The population of Pakistan is 100 million+, Britain is 60 million. Marrying 1st cousins is ridiculous and puts a strain on the NHS.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Council's director of public health, Vicky Hobart, ...'Consanguinity is very common in many cultures and the worry with something like this is that we are dealing with very small numbers.

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
    And the problem of the large number of birth defects arising from it should be no surprise to anyone. Crikey, even the BBC did a programme on it a few years ago (which included a father saying that his sons were deformed and brain damaged had nothing to do with the fact he had married his first cousin, but was down to the will of Allah).

Even in the middle ages England forbade marriage between cousins, for the sake of the children such a ban needs to be re-introduced.
    Such a ban would be hard to enforce if the ceremony took place in Pakistan....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited May 2017
    Mortimer said:

I hate when polls are due - get no work done. ETA on Mori?

We've had it but ES seem to be avoiding giving the headline numbers.

Looks like it's Con 47% and Lab 30% (Con 17% lead) but we don't know the full headline numbers yet...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/uk-general-election-polls-labour-gain-ground-but-tories-still-enjoy-comfortable-lead-a3541086.html
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Ah Leeds,the cultural capital of Yorkshire. Too old to go in there on a weekend night now
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited May 2017

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:
    Corbyn is the epitome of snoozeville in everything he says and does...he's like the sad old bloke on the bus who uses his pass everyday and goes into PoundLand to buy one thing...

It is his complete lack of charisma that I find utterly grating rather than his policies..

And, I can say this cause I'm a Manc....but those rough, hard faced, gobby, Manc, female bruisers that Corbyn keeps trawling out.... perhaps Coronation Street, or serving behind a chip shop would be a better fit?
    You're not female though, so don't say it
    Surely you remember the Boddington's AD some years ago? A beautiful women....then opens her mouth......

Unfortunately the Manc accent comes across as particularly rough when it is spoken by a women. My Manc accent has become more extreme the longer I have lived away from Manchester, it creeps up on you again....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Regarding Hammond, people are reading far too much into Theresa May's comments. That was as full an endorsement as anyone will ever get from her.

Do you think Hammond, Boris and Rudd are all safe? I can't see her going for a massive shake up after the election...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Mr. Llama, I agree, but it won't be. Not culturally sensitive enough.

There's also a vastly over-represented proportion of Pakistani ethnicity amongst children with learning difficulties, for the same reason.

The problem is exacerbated because you have cousins marry, then the next generation do the same thing, so before too long the genetic similarity is more sibling than cousin.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. I am suprised only 9% of the deaths in Redbridge are of Pakistani heritage, this article leaves out too many details.

What about Norfolk then? Reproducing via cousins would be viewed as spreading the gene pool far too much.....
    Iceland has a smallish population where you'll inevitably marry your ~ 11th to 5th cousin or so, but such a degree of seperation is no issue. The population of Pakistan is 100 million+, Britain is 60 million. Marrying 1st cousins is ridiculous and puts a strain on the NHS.
    I once looked into breeding my fem dog with Richard Dawkins dog...they used to meet up in Oxford...but didn't pursue because we discovered his dog was my dog's uncle....shame really because I would loved to have had puppies....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    Clarification required here - in Punjabi Sikh culture, cousins are regarded as little different to brothers and sisters (hence the term 'cousin-sister'). No keeping it in the family there.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited May 2017
    Patrick said:

RobD said:

Patrick said:

Technical advice please from Moderator or anyone who knows: I'm seeing huge nests of comments. (Always used to to see just the last item in a chain). It's making PB hard to read. Is this just me or is it everyone? What can I do about it?

Click on your username (or anyones), click on the cog in the top right, edit profile, then check quote settings.
    Thanks Rob. I am at 'Don't fold quotes' but still seeing nested comments.

Maybe the JavaScript isn't running properly. Or a problem with something cached in your browser. Try a 'hard refresh' of the page:

https://www.getfilecloud.com/blog/2015/03/tech-tip-how-to-do-hard-refresh-in-browsers

EDIT: actually you DO want to fold quotes, so maybe that's it.

• Options

There's also a vastly over-represented proportion of Pakistani ethnicity amongst children with learning difficulties, for the same reason.

The problem is exacerbated because you have cousins marry, then the next generation do the same thing, so before too long the genetic similarity is more sibling than cousin.

Aye, the NHS doesn't have the riches or resources to deal with said sad situation that the Hapsburgs or Pharoahs of Egpyt did.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    kle4 said:

I hope Boris is moved. Hammond would be much better there than him.

He's already been there. Did a good invisible job.
  • Options

So if Hammond isn't going to be Chancellor after June 8th, then who will replace him?

Amber fecking Rudd.
    It will be the awesome Priti Patel.

To replace Rudd at the Home Office.

Then the next Tory Leader.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
    And the problem of the large number of birth defects arising from it should be no surprise to anyone. Crikey, even the BBC did a programme on it a few years ago (which included a father saying that his sons were deformed and brain damaged had nothing to do with the fact he had married his first cousin, but was down to the will of Allah).

Even in the middle ages England forbade marriage between cousins, for the sake of the children such a ban needs to be re-introduced.
    The cost of DNA sequencing continues to drop; at some point it'll just rolled into the spousal visa process.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    And it is desperately unhealthy.
    what is worse generation after genration do it, increasing the risks for genetic deformities.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O

iceland app for deciding whether to date or not. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-24304415/icelandic-phone-app-stops-you-dating-close-relatives

11th cousin is so remote, I think you will find many or most UK marriages are within closer kinship than that.
  • Options

It's not just Pakistan....

In my wife's family village in remote Tuscany those who didn't leave the village have been left in a smaller gene pool...when we go back to the family home it is striking just how many disabled children there are in the village....
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    GIN1138 said:

Regarding Hammond, people are reading far too much into Theresa May's comments. That was as full an endorsement as anyone will ever get from her.

Do you think Hammond, Boris and Rudd are all safe? I can't see her going for a massive shake up after the election...
    Well she's not exactly having much trouble with the current cabinet, she is already clearly dominant and after an election win will be more so. So why rock the boat.

On the other hand, we consistently expect May to go with the cautious option, and she consistently surprises us, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her go for a full shakeup. I think Hammond would be moved. Rudd has always been an ally of May's I thought, can't see her going - maybe she becomes Chancellor. Boris seems likely to go too - he would be offered a post like Culture Secretary and instead choose to return to the backbenches. He was only taken on as a means of neutralising a potential enemy. He's not really shined in the FO so can probably be fairly safely removed post-election.
  • Options

That what was did for the Spanish Hapsburgs, whose line died out with the dribbling idiot Charles II. He was his mother's first cousin and his father's great nephew.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Pulpstar said:

Aye, the NHS doesn't have the riches or resources to deal with said sad situation that the Hapsburgs or Pharoahs of Egpyt did.
    Or even our Royal Family
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_relationships_between_British_monarchs_and_consorts
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Shocking footage from Erdogan's visit to Washington.

https://twitter.com/davidvujanovic/status/864714748524363776
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, wasn't there a French chap... Charles the Simple, perhaps? He thought he was made of glass at one point or other.

Mr. Tyson, indeed.

Mr. Pulpstar, are you saying we should just leave the situation as is, and absorb the cost (both financial and funereal) of incest?

Having increasing numbers of children with learning disabilities isn't a great situation.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Scott_P said:
    looking at the chart confirms exactly what she said.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Or even our Royal Family
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_relationships_between_British_monarchs_and_consorts
    Yes yes we all know Charles, Anne and Edward are marginally (2.14%) consanguine but nothing like to the degree that first cousin marriage produces.
  • Options
    tyson said:

So, Mcluskey, is now saying Labour will lose badly. Please someone, anyone tell me what the point of the whole Corbyn experiment is or was? Surely the Unions would prefer say a Chukka in Number 10, someone they could bully a little bit, than no-one at all?

BTW...please, my spelling is terrible. I'm making a one off disclaimer for all the times I've littered this site with appalling spelling and grammar.

Sory - juste not goode enuf makin eggscuses.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

He's already been there. Did a good invisible job.
    I know - but he'd be steady.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Patrick said:

Technical advice please from Moderator or anyone who knows: I'm seeing huge nests of comments. (Always used to to see just the last item in a chain). It's making PB hard to read. Is this just me or is it everyone? What can I do about it?

I think this is a site/vanilla issue, rather than something to do with your individual settings.

I started noticing it about a week ago, in different browsers, and on my phone.

I have figured out that the issue only occurs after I have reached the bottom of the first page of comment, and clicked on the More Comments button.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Well she's not exactly having much trouble with the current cabinet, she is already clearly dominant and after an election win will be more so. So why rock the boat.

On the other hand, we consistently expect May to go with the cautious option, and she consistently surprises us, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her go for a full shakeup. I think Hammond would be moved. Rudd has always been an ally of May's I thought, can't see her going - maybe she becomes Chancellor. Boris seems likely to go too - he would be offered a post like Culture Secretary and instead choose to return to the backbenches. He was only taken on as a means of neutralising a potential enemy. He's not really shined in the FO so can probably be fairly safely removed post-election.
    I think you're right...Boris has fulfilled his short term purpose and be discarded...and May will surprise us with her re-shuffle which will set her tone for the next five years...

FWIW...I'd love to see Fox go because he is the only one out of all of them that sets my skin crawling....the rest are relatively non descript...

Maybe Hunt to FO, or even Chancellor. He's the only one (aside from DD) that seems any good?

If Tissue Price wins, it would be nice to see him get some role. I've met him, and he genuinely seems to possess a brain the size of Canada.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Mr. Pulpstar, are you saying we should just leave the situation as is, and absorb the cost (both financial and funereal) of incest?

Having increasing numbers of children with learning disabilities isn't a great situation.

No. Public health officials could start spelling out the truth. A real effort to work with Imams in mosques would help too.

The product of such relationships are not guilty of anything, and should be treated as any other kid would. But their parents should be told.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

That graph supports May's assertion on the falling pound, to be honest.

On FS: Boris is a joke and should be turfed out, but Grieve's too damned wet. For which side would he be batting?

Boris, to quote Sam Houston, has all the qualities of a dog except loyalty.
  • Options

Mr. Rex, wasn't there a French chap... Charles the Simple, perhaps? He thought he was made of glass at one point or other.

Charles VI the Mad is the one you're thinking of. He did at one point have a delusional episode when he thought he was made of glass. He was King at the time of Agincourt.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I agree entirely (apologies, I misinterpreted the tone of your post before).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Morning team

regarding Hammond - he was the much-needed cool hand grey man when Dave was around. As the Cons now have the very epitome of a cool hand grey person, then there is less need for him.

And why the vitriol towards Rudd? People misunderestimate the quality of cabinet members, in whatever role, and moving to whatever role, at their peril.
  • Options

the level of immaturity on here is sometimes quite staggering although I think its largely as a way to let off steam for those whose political positions are so out of tune with the public at large who of course barely know who any of these people are let alone concerned for their welfare.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

+1
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

That would be Charles VI aka Charles the Mad, he was the fellow who signed the Treaty of Troyes in 1420 making Henry V of England his heir. That he was absolutely barking is not in doubt but I am not sure that was due to the close blood relationship between his parents.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    GIN1138 said:

I doubt if she'll do a massive shake-up, and I don't see any reason for her to shift either Hammond or Rudd, both of whom are doing a good job. Her style seems to be to administer the occasional semi-public tellings-off to her naughty pupils, but I think it's a mistake to conclude from that that she's about to expel them.

Boris, though, is a different matter. She's strong enough now to sack him if she wants to, but he seems to have settled down somewhat and she may regard him as effectively neutralised. We shall see.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:
    Corbyn is the epitome of snoozeville in everything he says and does...he's like the sad old bloke on the bus who uses his pass everyday and goes into PoundLand to buy one thing...

It is his complete lack of charisma that I find utterly grating rather than his policies..

Charisma is overrated IMO as a desirable characteristic in leaders, though undoubtedly useful in winning elections. Tony Blair? Donald Trump? Vladimir Putin? I know that Mike and others feel the decisive point about leaders is that they win, but I like leaders who pause for thought and give long, nuanced answers instead of soundbites. I accept that it's a minority taste and that that's awkward.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225

Patrick said:

RobD said:

Patrick said:

Click on your username (or anyones), click on the cog in the top right, edit profile, then check quote settings.

Maybe the JavaScript isn't running properly. Or a problem with something cached in your browser. Try a 'hard refresh' of the page:

https://www.getfilecloud.com/blog/2015/03/tech-tip-how-to-do-hard-refresh-in-browsers

You are a steely eyed rocket man! The 'one layer deep' folding has sorted it. Muito obrigado.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama/Mr. Rex, ah, thanks for the correction. At least his epithet fit him.

Mr. Topping, Rudd's comments on encryption are dangerously stupid.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    Liz Truss is the one who should be sacked on June 9th (assuming the Tories win)

She makes Chris Grayling as Justice Secretary look good.
  • Options
    BTW....on thread...Trump ain't going anywhere. Whilst the USA has Fox News, Trump will have a 40% bedrock of hardcore nutters that will frighten the GOP establishment into inactivity or supporting Trump.

If Fox News existed in the 70's Nixon would have held on........

That said, this is very similar to Watergate. It's not the crime as such, it's the temperament of the President that is suspect....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    I like that he 'distanced' himself from the earlier comments. That he had made. Flat out changed position, not distanced!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    edited May 2017
    This really is getting funnier by the hour. Has there ever been a funnier general election campaign than Labour's so far?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Erdogan, and his scum friends bodyguards are beyond the pale.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    TOPPING said:

And why the vitriol towards Rudd? People misunderestimate the quality of cabinet members, in whatever role, and moving to whatever role, at their peril.

Her gender seems to be a problem - see also May - with a certain section of the posh boys who previously filled the role fanclub on here.

• Options
  • Options

Patrick said:

RobD said:

Patrick said:

I am set at one level deep, which works, until I click on More Comments, after which I see every level.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    The inflationary impact of the currency move should start to fall out of the figures in July, and it's worth noting that the US has lifted interest rates three times in the last year while we have cut once.

As an aside, the Euro is down about 10% against the dollar, the yen and the AUSD since the vote. I wonder how much of their recovery is down to our vote.
  • Options
    I wonder if Teresa will go all GOAT and offer a position to some 'dry' Laourites after the election
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Patrick said:

RobD said:

Patrick said:

I am set at one level deep, which works, until I click on More Comments, after which I see every level.
    I get that as well
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

Her gender seems to be a problem - see also May - with a certain section of the posh boys who previously filled the role fanclub on here.

It seems to be so, although isn't @surbiton a lefty?
  • Options
    Oh God, Boris has managed to upset the Sikhs, in a Sikh temple.

Well done Boris.
  • Options

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

Charisma is overrated IMO as a desirable characteristic in leaders, though undoubtedly useful in winning elections. Tony Blair? Donald Trump? Vladimir Putin? I know that Mike and others feel the decisive point about leaders is that they win, but I like leaders who pause for thought and give long, nuanced answers instead of soundbites. I accept that it's a minority taste and that that's awkward.
    I suppose you cannot help your feelings....I liked Al Gore a lot and he suffered from a charisma bypass. I think that 2000 election devastated me more than any other. I liked the uncharismatic Hillary too, and easily favoured her to Obama. But, because I liked Hillary I nearly lost a lot of money on the last election, saved only by throwing a ton of money on the Michigan betfair market in the early hours.....
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Erdogan, and his scum friends bodyguards are beyond the pale.
    Does wearing a suit make you immune to arrest in this sort of situation ?!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Well done Boris.

Isn't his mother-in-law a Sikh?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

RobD said:

Patrick said:

You are a steely eyed rocket man! The 'one layer deep' folding has sorted it. Muito obrigado.
    Please do me a favour Patrick and click on the More Comments button at the bottom of the page. Does the problem return?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Liz Truss is the one who should be sacked on June 9th (assuming the Tories win)

She makes Chris Grayling as Justice Secretary look good.

"In God we Truss"
  • Options
    OK, I've just hacked* the Green Party and can reveal the following:

"We need to elect another MP. Let’s bring Molly Scott Cato to Westminster.... Our Big Campaign Weekend in Bristol over the 27th and 28th May is going to be huge..."

*Checked my other half's email inbox.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), can only speak for myself, but the gender's irrelevant (I've not been complimentary about Boris or Grieve on this same thread).

Mr. Eagles, are you suggesting describing plaintiffs as victims might not necessarily be indicative of objectivity?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Well done Boris.

Yup, but banging on about how we're going to get a free trade deal with India to end tariffs on whisky in a Sikh temple isn't the wisest idea, considering Sikhs don't drink alcohol.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Does it? There's an obvious step change.
    It was going up slightly beforehand after some downward trend. Who knows what would have happened in an alternate universe.
  • Options

Well done Boris.

What's he done?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited May 2017

Rudd's comments on hacking over the weekend made it quite clear she doesn't know what she's talking about. Her view on encryption makes it clear that she not only doesn't know what she's talking about, but has been completely house trained by the security services.

The hack over the weekend was a government-sponsored exploit that made it out into the wild - with predictable consequences.
  • Options

considering Sikhs don't drink alcohol.

Well not err 'officially' anyway :>
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I wonder if Teresa will go all GOAT and offer a position to some 'dry' Laourites after the election

she already has New Labour advisors doesn't she.
  • Options

Well done Boris.

What's he done?
    Gone to a Sikh temple and banged on about how we're going to get a free trade deal with India to end tariffs on whisky.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

..... completely house trained by the security services.

Or 'briefed by the people who actually know what the reality is', as we normally put it.
  • Options

Well done Boris.

Yup, but banging on about how you're going to get a free trade deal with India to end tariffs on whisky in a Sikh temple isn't the wisest idea, considering Sikhs don't drink alcohol.
    Sikhs don't drink alcohol? OK, so those who are baptised aren't supposed to, but most Sikhs I know are total piss-heads.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, and the fact that I, a practical luddite, know more than the Home Secretary about this sort of thing is alarming.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

Rudd's comments on hacking over the weekend made it quite clear she doesn't know what she's talking about. Her view on encryption makes it clear that she not only doesn't know what she's talking about, but has been completely house trained by the security services.

The hack over the weekend was a government-sponsored exploit that made it out into the wild - with predictable consequences.
    "completely house trained by the security services" = I don't see why on earth the Home Secretary shouldn't have the same freedom to write and say what she wants as I, an anonymous internet chatroom contributor, have.

Righty-ho.

Edit: @Richard_Nabavi put it far more pithily than I did
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O

The cost of DNA sequencing continues to drop; at some point it'll just rolled into the spousal visa process.
    You'd also have toget the courts to agree. It could be at odds of a "right to a family life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15272121
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Interesting...it would certainly strengthen her message that she needs to pull the country together as Brexit looms.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

Yup, but banging on about how we're going to get a free trade deal with India to end tariffs on whisky in a Sikh temple isn't the wisest idea, considering Sikhs don't drink alcohol.

All the Sikhs I know certainly do. And whisky is often the snifter of choice.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Well done Boris.

And what with Boris being a Tory sacred cow too ....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited May 2017

Sandpit said:

Or 'briefed by the people who actually know what the reality is', as we normally put it.
    Ask anyone who knows anything about IT security and they'll tell you that the government (of any country) mandating backdoors in software for their own use has two effects:

1. The bad guys use different software
    2. The software becomes distrusted by the general population if the backdoor becomes known about - for example internet banking and shopping services.

In other words, it doesn't affect the really bad guys, but it does affect pretty much everyone else.

MI5 and the police will always want to be able to read everything everyone is sending to everyone else, it's the job of the politicians to balance that against the rights of the average citizen to not be constantly spied upon by their own government. Mrs Rudd is a particularly good example of house training, but Mrs May wasn't much better in the same role.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ask anyone who knows anything about IT security and they'll tell you that the government (of any country) mandating backdoors in software for their own use has two effects:

1. The bad guys use different software
    2. The software becomes distrusted by the general population if the backdoor becomes known about - for example internet banking and shopping services.

In other words, it doesn't affect the really bad guys, but it does affect pretty much everyone else.

MI5 will always want to be able to read everything everyone is sending to everyone else, it's the job of the politicians to balance that against the rights of the average citizen to not be spied upon by their own government.
    And to balance all that against what they can say on the Andrew Marr show.
  • Options
    7fingers7fingers Posts: 8
    isam said:
    I will correct you 'Little county to the south of Norfolk'
This discussion has been closed.