Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters move against Trump on the “will he survive ” markets

Comments

• Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

RobD said:

Is the Tory campaign finally starting?

At the moment it feels as if the Tory cat is just playing with the Labour mouse. Eventually the play will end and the real devouring commence.
    Napoleon said to the effect "it is silly to interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake".

Labour have not made a mistake.. but several. Allowing D Abbott on TV is one ,and the "full costing" is an open goal.

But then, Labour don't want to win...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583

So if Hammond isn't going to be Chancellor after June 8th, then who will replace him?

Amber fecking Rudd.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Invited to deliver a strong endorsement of Hammond, May says "I'd be happy to". Then doesn't.

If Hammond is toast then that could firm up the Con vote substantially.

He is the weakest link.
    Firm it up? Is it not firm enough? :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Exactly - you could fill in "Boris" or "Rudd" or "Leadsome" or "Anyone" - it's a classic "non-story story"

Except it is a story.

If asked the question, "Will you keep Hammond as chancellor after the election" she could easily have said "yes, right up until I reshuffle him 2 days later" and it would have been fine
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

So if Hammond isn't going to be Chancellor after June 8th, then who will replace him?

Gove
    Would she really put such an arch plotter into the Treasury?

I'd have thought someone close to her like Amber Rudd would be more likely?

I do think Gove will be back in some capacity though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Invited to deliver a strong endorsement of Hammond, May says "I'd be happy to". Then doesn't.

He is the weakest link.
    It might produce a bit of Tory -> Lib Dem swingback too, but Farron is having a mare of a campaign. So it won't.

I doubt the average person really thinks about this sort of thing though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Gove
    A man singularly unqualified for that particular post.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    On Rudd, well she's another non-entity. May should just keep Hammond as Chancellor.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2017
    I see Mrs bucket has posted a massive essay to facebook basically saying most of you won't be able to read the times so here is the truth...Followed by 1000+ words of bullshit.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

He is the weakest link.
    The man who rose without a trace. :lol:
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    RobC said:

Lol. love this detailed analysis of an ultra safe seat, the sort of seat that will get totally ignored in this election along with say 325 current (now safe) Tory seats and 100 odd (still safe) Labour ones.

Sadly one of the effects of a Tory landslide and the next parliament being pre-occupied with EU negotiations will be electoral reform being buried as an issue for another 5 years.

Thank you for the kind word, my friend.

It's interesting to do a little digging - there's something about being an immigration lawyer and politics in my neck of the woods. We had a Communities Party and I wonder if the Friends Party has evolved from that.

There are local elections in London next year and while Newham won't be on anyone's target list, I suspect the London Conservatives will be hoping the post-election euphoria of the LeaveSlide will continue into 2018. Labour did well in London in 2014 and I suspect the Conservatives will be looking to regain control of Redbridge and Hammersmith & Fulham (fascinating to read about the breakdown of the Triborough initiative which is already resonating through local Government).

• Options
    edited May 2017

Amber fecking Rudd.
    Do you really need to try and give May her 500th seat in Hallam ?
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    why do people vote ukip for? I just don't understand.........
    Because importing cheap labour gives lazy, feckless UK residents an excuse, if jobs are available the unemployed here should be doing them.

btw very few people vote UKIP any more
    What a silly and lazy stereotype. Do people actually believe this? Most unemployed want to work, however there has been an undermining of wages and rights since the flood of cheap eastern european labour for many it is not worth taking any "job" if they lose thier benefits. This has hurt those in lower paid jobs the most the effect of which I would guess have been undercounted. Even union jobs have been undermined by employers bringing in literal bus loads of workers from eastern europe. So you see it doesn't just hurt those looking for jobs.

People don't vote for UKIP but then again we are leaving the E.U not least because of politicians unable or unwilling to get to grips with the problems with uncontrolled mass migration.
    You asked why people voted Ukip, I told you why. May has pledged to reduce immigration because that is what the majority of the electorate want.

You may find that uncomfortable but its a fact.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

Amber fecking Rudd.

Another yuge Tory talent!!

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Back on topic... IF there really is concrete evidence of obstruction of justice, then Trump is a goner, probably before the year end:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/16/trump-comey-republicans-congress-scandals-238479

Republican US Representative Jason Chaffetz, chairman of a House of Representatives oversight committee..."is going to get the Comey memo, if it exists. I need to see it sooner rather than later. I have my subpoena pen ready."
  • Options
    And note that after a press conference called to ridicule Labour's manifesto, our topic of conversation is who will replace Hammond.

Awesome job there, Tezza
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

McDonnell
  • Options

Gove?

Lord No.

Philip Davies will be a backbencher forever. I have no worries about him getting near the leavers of power.....

Gove may be a touch too independent of thought for May.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.
    Nope, I'm voting Tory in Manchester Central.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Back on topic... IF there really is concrete evidence of obstruction of justice, then Trump is a goner, probably before the year end:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/16/trump-comey-republicans-congress-scandals-238479

Republican US Representative Jason Chaffetz, chairman of a House of Representatives oversight committee..."is going to get the Comey memo, if it exists. I need to see it sooner rather than later. I have my subpoena pen ready."
    Hasn't it already bean subpoenaed?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Nigelb said:

Gove
    An innumerate narcissist who doesn't trust experts?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Amber Rudd shouldn't be in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    GeoffH said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/uk-general-election-polls-labour-gain-ground-but-tories-still-enjoy-comfortable-lead-a3541086.html

New Poll in Standard?

The story appears to be written in such a way as to obscure the results.

when you run it, it's a poll of polls only.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.
    HURRAH :)
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

The greatest politicians can, by their own efforts, decisions and leadership, save entire countries from disaster. That is a rather more useful talent than painting pictures.

Yep, Sir Winston Churchill achieved far more than winning any General Election. He massively helped win a World War - no other 20th Century British politician comes close to that.
    Lloyd George says hello.
    Though Churchill was there for that one as well.
    He was more of a hindrance than help in World War I.

Why is it so many PBers are in need of history lessons from me.

Is this is a good time to discuss the Dardanelles campaign?
    In general, I agree that Churchill was no great asset to the government in WWI. That said, he's overly criticised for the Dardanelles fiasco. Strategically, it was a sound plan and with proper planning, could have made a major difference at a time when the war elsewhere was stalemated. Churchill should certainly bear some of the blame for not getting that planning in place and then pushing on with the project anyway. Even so, it came within a hair's breadth of success and in the big scheme of things was probably worth the risk even with the second rate staff, leadership and resources given, never mind if it'd been done properly.
    If you are going to attack and invade an enemy peninsula is it clever to attack the point and work your way along or is it wise to invade the base, isolate the enemy and take it the other way? I never understood why we didn't land in the northwest, use the navy to shell the shit out of the neck of the peninsula and cut off the appendage. We could have starved them out in a month or two. These things have to be well and aggressively executed though. Anzio was an attempt to do the same in Italy but we 'landed a whale, flapping on the beach' and failed to isolate the Germans further south.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.
    I could cope with a Tory gain in Hallam. The last of the quad put to the sword.
  • Options
    How about Kenneth Clarke MP (just for TSE) ? :D
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Gove
    An innumerate narcissist who doesn't trust experts?
    Something along those lines.
    I thought him a mediocre to poor education secretary, and a potentially excellent justice secretary (not enough time in post)... but Chancellor ??
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    why do people vote ukip for? I just don't understand.........
    Because importing cheap labour gives lazy, feckless UK residents an excuse, if jobs are available the unemployed here should be doing them.

btw very few people vote UKIP any more
    What a silly and lazy stereotype. Do people actually believe this? Most unemployed want to work, however there has been an undermining of wages and rights since the flood of cheap eastern european labour for many it is not worth taking any "job" if they lose thier benefits. This has hurt those in lower paid jobs the most the effect of which I would guess have been undercounted. Even union jobs have been undermined by employers bringing in literal bus loads of workers from eastern europe. So you see it doesn't just hurt those looking for jobs.

People don't vote for UKIP but then again we are leaving the E.U not least because of politicians unable or unwilling to get to grips with the problems with uncontrolled mass migration.
    You asked why people voted Ukip, I told you why. May has pledged to reduce immigration because that is what the majority of the electorate want.

You may find that uncomfortable but its a fact.
    "fact"
  • Options

Most of the cabinet should not be in the cabinet.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Good to see unemployment continuing to fall

Fantastic numbers really. Unemployment down, well into "full employment" territory whilst economic inactivity also down. Pay up 2.4% which for the last three months means a real-terms rise. That can't last but it will keep the pain down.
    Nearly 800,000 job vacancies as well.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited May 2017

Totally agree there, she's not as bad as some of the Labour shadows, but I think she has been promoted too far.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Gove?

Lord No.

Philip Davies will be a backbencher forever. I have no worries about him getting near the leavers of power.....

Gove may be a touch too independent of thought for May.

There's about 5 leaver ministers that would walk out of the cabinet if Gove was brought back in.

Plus the Cameroons generally view Gove as sub human Mark Reckless scum.

So there's no political upside for bringing back Gove for Mrs May, plus they've clashed before.

One of Mrs May's current joint Chief of Staff had to quit for leaking/smearing a Gove a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Aaron Bell should be made Chancellor on his entry to the house :)
  • Options
    Wow SNP on 6% in Scotland. They must be on something like 60% in Scotland then, right?

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/864725442502287360
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He's the greatest Chancellor of my lifetime.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    GIN1138 said:

Add Dominic Grieve in the Foreign Office and you'd have a good top team. :)
  • Options
    She'll keep Hammond... Because to do otherwise opens up too much of a can of worms and I don't think they are as far apart as people assume.

Actually I think the big three (Hammond, Boris and Rudd) will all keep their jobs.

Gove might replace Leadsom (sadly I do think Andrea is for the chop :( )
  • Options
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

Even Owen Jones isn't as bad as most Corbynites on Twitter. His YT channel actually has some interesting interviews - he's even got one with Jacob Rees-Mogg. The video where he went to the Tory party conference was also pretty funny.

I'm sorry to complain like this. But everyday Corbynistas on Twitter frustrate me intensely.

Why don't you unfollow people who irritate you?? I'm all in favour of hearing some varied opinions, but it seems positively masochistic to go out of your way to follow the comments of people whose comments annoy you. Why not just follow Owen Jones and Polly Toynbee, say?

Personally I follow too many people - I'm vaguely interested in them all, but if I glance at Twitter, the people who really interest me are drowned out by chatter from everyone else. Planning an unfollowing purge soon.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Add Dominic Grieve in the Foreign Office and you'd have a good top team. :)
    Return of the Wets :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.
    Applied for the postal vote this morning.

Must warn you though, all the Tory tactical voters for Clegg in 2015 that I know are moving back to the Blue meanies this time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Hasn't it already bean subpoenaed?
    Formally requested. I'm not sure this amounts to a subpoena ?
    https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-05-16-JEC-to-McCabe-FBI-Memos.pdf
  • Options
    isam said:
    I'm no kipper but Jesus H :

Council's director of public health, Vicky Hobart, ...'Consanguinity is very common in many cultures and the worry with something like this is that we are dealing with very small numbers.

o_O
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2017
    That business insider is the weirdest write up ever...Jezza is awesome, massive vote winner, better than blair etc etc etc, Tories up 7 and labour unchanged on 28...

Did they accidentally cut and paste a daily mash article?
  • Options
    Technical advice please from Moderator or anyone who knows: I'm seeing huge nests of comments. (Always used to to see just the last item in a chain). It's making PB hard to read. Is this just me or is it everyone? What can I do about it?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.

Must warn you though, all the Tory tactical voters for Clegg in 2015 that I know are moving back to the Blue meanies this time.
    We can not stop the general trends, but our own vote is outwith the betting...
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I wonder if at this point it is actually possible to envisage a scenario where Labour win the election, without relying on some 'black swan' event.

I guess you would need a combination of:

- Shy labour voters - don't want to admit to voting for Corbyn given he has been portrayed as a terrorist sympathiser etc

- The young really see Corbyn as the real deal and actually turn out to vote for once

- Anti-landslide voting by those who accept May is going to win big and want to vote against that

- The LD failure to surge results in further squeezing and vote splitting is minimal between the two - 1997 style of tactical voting sees gains in a few select seats against the tories (Twickenham etc and maybe a couple SW seats) - Labour voters forgive the coalition years and vote for best placed anti-tory candidate, while the LD vote craters elsewhere, helping Labour hold on

- Low turnout among complacent tories.

- The Maymania proves to be fleeting and about as solid as Cleggmania. People like her but not enough to vote Tory when it comes to putting a X in the ballot box - her name won't be on the ballot but it will say Conservative.

- Those who voted for the first time in EU ref return to old habits and abstain. UKIP voters also abstain on the day.

Even with all that I couldn't see a way for Labour to outright win, but perhaps a hung parliament would be possible if in addition to the above:

- SNP hold on to almost all seats - split votes between slab and scon lets SNP through the middle

- Wales surge doesn't result in much of a breakthrough again due to split opposition, with the tories and plaid competing with each other.

Some of those are more plausible than others, but they all seem to be the straws to be grasped at for those rooting for a Labour victory!

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    GIN1138 said:

She'll keep Hammond... Because to do otherwise opens up too much of a can of worms and I don't think they are as far apart as people assume.

Actually I think the big three (Hammond, Boris and Rudd) will all keep their jobs.

Gove might replace Leadsom (sadly I do think Andrea is for the chop :( )

Time Rory was in the Cabinet.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.

You should do your duty and vote Tory in Sheffield Hallam. :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

He is the weakest link.
    IIRC there was a thread header on Pb.com advising everyone to back Hammond as the next Con leader or even PM.

Should imagine his odds have "drifted" since the budget.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017

Prodicus said:

Oooh. A letter.

TBH I am beginning to find this Queen of the May thing irritating.

She is making some very big promises. She will be judged on her delivery of them.

What First Past the Post Giveth, First Past the Post Taketh Away.

In fairness, Corbyn has defined Hard Brexit. It's leaving and having his manifesto implemented.

Everything else is soft Brexit in comparison.
  • Options
    @Paristonda Corbyn's win will surely follow on from Le Pen's magnificent upset :>
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Even Owen Jones isn't as bad as most Corbynites on Twitter. His YT channel actually has some interesting interviews - he's even got one with Jacob Rees-Mogg. The video where he went to the Tory party conference was also pretty funny.

I'm sorry to complain like this. But everyday Corbynistas on Twitter frustrate me intensely.

Why don't you unfollow people who irritate you?? I'm all in favour of hearing some varied opinions, but it seems positively masochistic to go out of your way to follow the comments of people whose comments annoy you. Why not just follow Owen Jones and Polly Toynbee, say?

Personally I follow too many people - I'm vaguely interested in them all, but if I glance at Twitter, the people who really interest me are drowned out by chatter from everyone else. Planning an unfollowing purge soon.
    I don't unfollow them because a lot of them are my friends (and some are even family).

If I stopped following all the Corbyn supporters I follow the tweets on my timeline would be reduced by 60%.

Good luck with your unfollowing purge.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    So, Mcluskey, is now saying Labour will lose badly. Please someone, anyone tell me what the point of the whole Corbyn experiment is or was? Surely the Unions would prefer say a Chukka in Number 10, someone they could bully a little bit, than no-one at all?

BTW...please, my spelling is terrible. I'm making a one off disclaimer for all the times I've littered this site with appalling spelling and grammar.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Technical advice please from Moderator or anyone who knows: I'm seeing huge nests of comments. (Always used to to see just the last item in a chain). It's making PB hard to read. Is this just me or is it everyone? What can I do about it?

Click on your username (or anyones), click on the cog in the top right, edit profile, then check quote settings.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    My successor in Broxtowe is having fun, with a big win in a college mock election and a debate on Europe where Anna S didn't bother to turn up and was empty-chaired:

https://www.facebook.com/gregmarshall4broxtowe/
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

He is the weakest link.
    IIRC there was a thread header on Pb.com advising everyone to back Hammond as the next Con leader or even PM.

Should imagine his odds have "drifted" since the budget.
    It could be the other way.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Gove?

Lord No.

"the leavers of power" must be the finest autocorrect since Ash observed that someone or other was "as rich as creases".
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I don't unfollow them because a lot of them are my friends (and some are even family).

If I stopped following all the Corbyn supporters I follow the tweets on my timeline would be reduced by 60%.

Good luck with your unfollowing purge.

Yes, I see the problem!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Writing is on the wall. I don't know why he has lost so much backing so quickly, the NI stuff isn't enough to explain it, so it has to be because he doesn't match May's brexit stance somehow.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Has any bookie got a next Chancellor market up? I can't find one.
  • Options

I've never been on twitter, or Instagram. I have 9 friends on Facebook, of whom you are one of the lucky ones Nick, despite your Corbyn leanings which I have never really understood. In fact most of my other Facebook friends are Corbynites unfortunately...but otherwise it's a Tory free zone.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Writing is on the wall. I don't know why he has lost so much backing so quickly, the NI stuff isn't enough to explain it, so it has to be because he doesn't match May's brexit stance somehow.
    I think she might have the zeal of a convert.
  • Options
    Has Corbyn ran a boring campaign ?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/864705169618903040
  • Options
    Unfortunate ambiguity there...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Patrick said:

Click on your username (or anyones), click on the cog in the top right, edit profile, then check quote settings.
    Thanks Rob. I am at 'Don't fold quotes' but still seeing nested comments.
  • Options
  • Options
    tyson said:

So, Mcluskey, is now saying Labour will lose badly. Please someone, anyone tell me what the point of the whole Corbyn experiment is or was? Surely the Unions would prefer say a Chukka in Number 10, someone they could bully a little bit, than no-one at all?

BTW...please, my spelling is terrible. I'm making a one off disclaimer for all the times I've littered this site with appalling spelling and grammar.

There was no Corbyn "experiment". This is fuck-up, not conspiracy.

btw tim reckons lab sub 200
    https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/864716945005924352
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Rhubarb said:

Charlie Kennedy would have been crucifying labour by now, even Menzies would be marching onwards. Farron is hopeless.

The Guardian are currently gunning for him over abortion. Even if the liberals break even in the election, he might just be too compromised to survive as party leader for much longer.
    I wonder if the Guardian would be asking Muslim politicians, say Galloway's mob, about their views on abortion and homosexuality? Their open disdain for the Christian roots and beliefs on which the UK was built, are most unedifying.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Ishmael_Z said:

Gove?

Lord No.

"the leavers of power" must be the finest autocorrect since Ash observed that someone or other was "as rich as creases".
    Not just someone or other - Chris 'trouser-press' Huhne :)
  • Options
    @SnoozeInBrief: "Sterling was actually neck-and-neck before the coup." https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/864777935689068544
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Regarding Hammond, people are reading far too much into Theresa May's comments. That was as full an endorsement as anyone will ever get from her.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Gove?

Lord No.

Not just someone or other - Chris 'trouser-press' Huhne :)
    My recollection is, he wrote it about somebody else, and another poster pointed out it was incorrect except when referring to Huhne.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Corbyn is the epitome of snoozeville in everything he says and does...he's like the sad old bloke on the bus who uses his pass everyday and goes into PoundLand to buy one thing...

It is his complete lack of charisma that I find utterly grating rather than his policies..

And, I can say this cause I'm a Manc....but those rough, hard faced, gobby, Manc, female bruisers that Corbyn keeps trawling out.... perhaps Coronation Street, or serving behind a chip shop would be a better fit?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Council's director of public health, Vicky Hobart, ...'Consanguinity is very common in many cultures and the worry with something like this is that we are dealing with very small numbers.

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. I am suprised only 9% of the deaths in Redbridge are of Pakistani heritage, this article leaves out too many details.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.
    If Lucy Powell loses by one and Nick Clegg survives by one, there'll be trouble.......
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
    And it is desperately unhealthy.
  • Options
    Before anyone accuses me of sexism for trashing those gobby Mancs that Corbyn relies on...if Ruth Davidson was leader of the Tories PulpStar's talk of a 300 majority would be a distinct possibility. That gal is an absolute gem.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Amber fecking Rudd.
    If Lucy Powell loses by one and Nick Clegg survives by one, there'll be trouble.......
    If Lucy Powell loses by one there'll be alot of room for the MPs of Knowsley, Walton and Liverpool Riverside on the opposition benches.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jamesmelville/status/864569762365538304
    LOL you can't make this stuff up.

Elle Woods would be a way better POTUS than Trump btw.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Before anyone accuses me of sexism for trashing those gobby Mancs that Corbyn relies on...if Ruth Davidson was leader of the Tories PulpStar's talk of a 300 majority would be a distinct possibility. That gal is an absolute gem.....

Hah I'm on that at 100-1, I doubt it'll win.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    That graph supports May's assertion on the falling pound, to be honest.

On FS: Boris is a joke and should be turfed out, but Grieve's too damned wet. For which side would he be batting?
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:
    Corbyn is the epitome of snoozeville in everything he says and does...he's like the sad old bloke on the bus who uses his pass everyday and goes into PoundLand to buy one thing...

It is his complete lack of charisma that I find utterly grating rather than his policies..

And, I can say this cause I'm a Manc....but those rough, hard faced, gobby, Manc, female bruisers that Corbyn keeps trawling out.... perhaps Coronation Street, or serving behind a chip shop would be a better fit?
    You're not female though, so don't say it
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    I hate when polls are due - get no work done. ETA on Mori?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

Yep, Sir Winston Churchill achieved far more than winning any General Election. He massively helped win a World War - no other 20th Century British politician comes close to that.

Lloyd George says hello.
    Though Churchill was there for that one as well.
    He was more of a hindrance than help in World War I.

Why is it so many PBers are in need of history lessons from me.

Is this is a good time to discuss the Dardanelles campaign?
    In general, I agree that Churchill was no great asset to the government in WWI. That said, he's overly criticised for the Dardanelles fiasco. Strategically, it was a sound plan and with proper planning, could have made a major difference at a time when the war elsewhere was stalemated. Churchill should certainly bear some of the blame for not getting that planning in place and then pushing on with the project anyway. Even so, it came within a hair's breadth of success and in the big scheme of things was probably worth the risk even with the second rate staff, leadership and resources given, never mind if it'd been done properly.
    If you are going to attack and invade an enemy peninsula is it clever to attack the point and work your way along or is it wise to invade the base, isolate the enemy and take it the other way? I never understood why we didn't land in the northwest, use the navy to shell the shit out of the neck of the peninsula and cut off the appendage. We could have starved them out in a month or two. These things have to be well and aggressively executed though. Anzio was an attempt to do the same in Italy but we 'landed a whale, flapping on the beach' and failed to isolate the Germans further south.
    The key to the Dardanelles campaign was speed. The objective was Constantinople. Never mind shelling the peninsula; if a couple of dozen battleships had steamed up and down, lobbing 15-inch shells into the city, there's a good chance that The Ottomans would have quit the war there and then. Those were the stakes being played for.

A lightening strike across the Peninsula to take out the defences of the Straights was all that was really necessary from the army, and they came close to doing it. Even without that, the naval force really should have pushed on: the guns were doing little damage and the mines could have been swept. Once clear, there would have been little to stop the big ships threatening carnage.
  • Options

Amber fecking Rudd.
    It will be the awesome Priti Patel.

• Options
    Hammond currently 11s on Betfair for next Con leader.

Lowest price matched - 4s.
  • Options

Regarding Hammond, people are reading far too much into Theresa May's comments. That was as full an endorsement as anyone will ever get from her.

She has shown she is ruthless at ditching CoTE's that she doesn't rate...
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. I am suprised only 9% of the deaths in Redbridge are of Pakistani heritage, this article leaves out too many details.

What about Norfolk then? Reproducing via cousins would be viewed as spreading the gene pool far too much.....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Of course she'll refuse to say. If she confirms that he'll stay, it invites questions about every other member of the cabinet and gives much less justification for refusing an answer.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

o_O
    cousin marriage is widespread amongst Britons form Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
    And the problem of the large number of birth defects arising from it should be no surprise to anyone. Crikey, even the BBC did a programme on it a few years ago (which included a father saying that his sons were deformed and brain damaged had nothing to do with the fact he had married his first cousin, but was down to the will of Allah).

Even in the middle ages England forbade marriage between cousins, for the sake of the children such a ban needs to be re-introduced.
  • Options

Someone has been briefing against him for months, and May's defenders blamed him entirely for the budget situation (as though she had not seen it beforehand and presumably agreed), and it still seemed pretty lukewarm. I think he's toast, as Chancellor at any rate.
  • Options
    I hope Boris is moved. Hammond would be much better there than him.
This discussion has been closed.