Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – Labour’s election gift to Mrs. May and the Tor

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458
    justin124 said:

"This is of course all reflected in the polls. Upto GE2015 LAB could largely take the working class vote for granted but now large swathes of it have disappeared.

From what I can gather everything that was predicted about Corbyn’s leadership in a general election is actually happening. He is proving a massive negative and his supporters are left trying to find even more excuses."

Except that the headline VI now seems to show Labour doing little or no worse than in 2015. ICM excepted, all of the recent surveys now have Labour on 30-32% GB-wide.

All the more reason to suppose that said surveys are, in fact, bollocks.

This notion that Labour is doing as well as it got under Miliband in the polls is a complete myth and I don't understand where it is coming from.

In 2015 Labour got a bit over 31% of the GB (not UK) vote. Lets round down to 31% to keep it easy.

According to UK Polling Report of the 11 surveys completed in May, Labour has matched the 31% once (ORB) and scored less than 31% in 10 out of 11 surveys. There has not been a single survey where Labour outperformed 31%.

Labour is polling worse now than it achieved under Ed. That is without taking Labour's historical (including 2015) tendency to underperform polls into account.
    There were two surveys over the weekend - ORB and Opinium - putting Labour on 32%. Moreover if 2015 methodologies were still being used the polls would be showing a range of 30% - 34%.
    ICM and Kantar had them on 28%. Average of 9 polls with fieldwork end-dates during the week-ending 14th May = 30.2%.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    RobD said:

twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/864228947411832832

PB Tories 4 Corbyn, rejoice!
    If I were Labour Party counterintelligence, I'd be looking at how the three-quid policy came about. The party seems to have been spooked from several different angles.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    tyson said:

I can't help feeling that, if Labour supporters want to claim the moral high ground, they would be well advised not to make jokes about children tortured to death.

RICHARD....Can you please refrain from being such a pompous, self righteous, pain in the arse, prig....just for a millisecond...thanks in advance. Kind regards Tyson....
    Is he muscling in on your territory?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    tyson said:

I can't help feeling that, if Labour supporters want to claim the moral high ground, they would be well advised not to make jokes about children tortured to death.

RICHARD....Can you please refrain from being such a pompous, self righteous, pain in the arse, prig....just for a millisecond...thanks in advance. Kind regards Tyson....
    Thank you, I'll continue as I am. If you don't like me thinking that it is tasteless beyond all the outermost limits of acceptability to make jokes about children, whose parents and siblings are still alive in some cases, being tortured to death, or to equate Ian Brady with foxhunters, then I'll have to try somehow to live without your approval. I expect I'll manage.
  • Options

I live 5 miles from sandwich-where does he sell it??

this is surreal

There's a famous road sign locally that says
    HAM
    SANDWICH 5

It was knicked so often that the Council had to take special measures to secure it !!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @mrdavidwhitley: Two things that could be simultaneously true:

1. Trump doesn't believe he colluded with Russia.
    2. Trump colluded with Russia.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

@CycleFree

"...It is one reason why I am contemplating a serious career change.

In the end, you can only beat your head against a brick wall for so long before you decide that there are better things to do with your life - and head."

Are you still pondering, Mrs. Free? Is there anything to really ponder about? You children are grown up, so what is stopping you doing what you want to do? Is it money? It was for me when I was thinking about bailing out of the public sector do do what I really wanted to do. In the end I just went for it and hang the financial security. There are a lot more important things in life, like enjoying it, we only get one crack at it and there isn't much to be said for being a financially secure corpse.

I know that there are at least three others who regularly post on this site who have made similar life changing decisions and all of us seem to have done OK. Financially at the very least we have all kept the lupine pest from lolling around on the front doorstep and I think we have all been much happier doing what we wanted to do.

Dear Mr Llama: you are a very wise fellow.

But I will also admit to being a bit apprehensive. Like standing on the edge of the water wondering what it will be like to jump in.........

A friend of mine in publishing recently abandoned his quite lucrative but increasingly dispiriting career to become... an artisanal butcher and foodie dude in Kent.

He had the life, the Chiswick house, the private schools for the kids, etc

Cushioned by London property prices he was able to sell up at a fat profit, buy a nice four bedroom oast house in Sandwich, and use the capital to invest in samphire picking and kombucha pickling.

It wasn't the bravest decision by any means (that London property left him with half a million capital as a safety net). But nonetheless it was a big wrench in terms of friends, connections, lifestyle.

He's never been happier. He walks the dogs and smokes his own bacon and sells it at intriguingly increasing profit. He is fulfilling himself, creatively, after a lifetime of corporate obedience.
    How interesting, I know the bloke you're talking about, not in person but he was recommended to me
    His bacon is genuinely brilliant.
    Ash? Or Ham?

I used to spend a lot of time in Sandwich (Delf St)

Where all the best London people live :)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    HYUFD said:

Newsnight reports Labour will announce tomorrow it will renationalise the water industry too

What the Labour Party says now is of no importance whatsoever....

Sometimes impartial reporting where opposite sides are given equal credence is ludicrous....

This reminds me of Brexit when you had a sensible side, and the other that was just plain bollox..... In that case the British public didn't realise that one side was spouting drivel...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said that Trump’s decision to do so risks cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and National Security Agency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/2017/05/15/530c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?utm_term=.0f98c8a44c2a

Very responsible of the sources to blab the whole thing to the WaPo, then.
    Haha! Yes, let's call them Responsible Throat :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited May 2017

isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Not saying he wasn't rooting for leave, but I doubt he was entitled to vote.
    Yeah, that's why I said supporter.

Edit: I'll at least allow he didn't bring many voters behind his standard.
    Crikey it was bad enough when I was a fascist, now I'm a moors murderer too.
    I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you're just a bloke on the internet.
    Join the club.
    I don't exist?! It's all a dream?! You are McDescartes!!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167

HYUFD said:

scotslass said:

Not that I ever believe these sub samples but could I just point out that today's polls have the SNP at 49% (ICM) and 47% (Survation).

I know that this is not what most PBeers want to hear but could SNP vote be hardening against the reports of a Tory surge?

Yougov today has the SNP on 41% in a proper Scottish poll not just a subsample

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/voting-intention-regional-breakdown-apr-24-may-5/
    HUYFD quoting a 'proper' poll over a sub sample.

*faints*
    Comres also had the SNP on 41% in its subsample yesterday if you want 1 more subsample from me too!
    http://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Independent-Sunday-Mirror_May-2017_5646546.pdf
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Re Corbyn and the IRA - let's look at now rather than the past.

Corbyn allies himself with anti-Semites at a time when there are increasing attacks on Jews, some of them viciously murderous. He takes money from Press TV, the propaganda arm of the Iranian regime, a regime which uses rape as a punishment and hangs gay men from cranes.

This is the leader of a party which claims to be in favour of gay rights, in favour of the rights of women and against racism. It has a leader who either simply does not understand the values he claims to believe in or is cynical about them or who believes that his enemy's enemy is his friend. I believe it to be the last. I think that the hard Left's belief in these values is skin deep and is chiefly used as a weapon against others. Certain victim groups are useful if they can be used to criticise others but can be - and are - dropped as soon as some other more fashionable "victim" group can trump them.

It is what happens when values are chiefly seen as a way of proclaiming one's own virtue and moral superiority rather than as moral imperatives which should determine one's actions.

But whatever the explanation it shows - to me anyway - that Corbyn is not a principled or honest politician, that he has appalling judgment (as he did with the IRA), that he simply cannot be trusted to act in the interests of British citizens and that he is, therefore, unfit to be a leader of a major political party let alone Prime Minister.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Newsnight reports Labour will announce tomorrow it will renationalise the water industry too

maybe because Corbyn has no reservoir of support...
    Ah, pipe down...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    scotslass said:

Not that I ever believe these sub samples but could I just point out that today's polls have the SNP at 49% (ICM) and 47% (Survation).

I know that this is not what most PBeers want to hear but could SNP vote be hardening against the reports of a Tory surge?

Has to be possible. Add in confusion over who is the best unionist party to vote for tactically, even assuming even greater willingness to do so, and gains may well not reach the stratospheric highs some earlier polls suggested. Better than nothing though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

A return of "The Water Board" , "The Gas Board" etc... ? :D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

@CycleFree

In the end, you can only beat your head against a brick wall for so long before you decide that there are better things to do with your life - and head."

Are you still pondering, Mrs. Free? Is there anything to really ponder about? You children are grown up, so what is stopping you doing what you want to do? Is it money? It was for me when I was thinking about bailing out of the public sector do do what I really wanted to do. In the end I just went for it and hang the financial security. There are a lot more important things in life, like enjoying it, we only get one crack at it and there isn't much to be said for being a financially secure corpse.

I know that there are at least three others who regularly post on this site who have made similar life changing decisions and all of us seem to have done OK. Financially at the very least we have all kept the lupine pest from lolling around on the front doorstep and I think we have all been much happier doing what we wanted to do.

But I will also admit to being a bit apprehensive. Like standing on the edge of the water wondering what it will be like to jump in.........

A friend of mine in publishing recently abandoned his quite lucrative but increasingly dispiriting career to become... an artisanal butcher and foodie dude in Kent.

Cushioned by London property prices he was able to sell up at a fat profit, buy a nice four bedroom oast house in Sandwich, and use the capital to invest in samphire picking and kombucha pickling.

It wasn't the bravest decision by any means (that London property left him with half a million capital as a safety net). But nonetheless it was a big wrench in terms of friends, connections, lifestyle.

He's never been happier. He walks the dogs and smokes his own bacon and sells it at intriguingly increasing profit. He is fulfilling himself, creatively, after a lifetime of corporate obedience.
    How interesting, I know the bloke you're talking about, not in person but he was recommended to me
    http://www.theoastsmokehouse.com/
    Thank you-i will check him out-he owes you a beer !!
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Sometimes impartial reporting where opposite sides are given equal credence is ludicrous....

This reminds me of Brexit when you had a sensible side, and the other that was just plain bollox..... In that case the British public didn't realise that one side was spouting drivel...
    It does reinforce the fact that Corbyn is running on the most leftwing platform since Foot
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

What do you expect? He's a bit of a drip

(and so to bed)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And the money will come from.....that magic money forest ain't half getting a bashing.
    Income tax will rise to 50% for all those earning over £80 000 and the amount couples can give to their children free of inheritance tax will be halved
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    CNN obvs going on the Trump leak story.
    I'm certain Wolf Blitzer has a bricker.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

HYUFD said:

And the money will come from.....that magic money forest ain't half getting a bashing.
    I don't think there's any intention to pay, the assets will simply be seized by Corbyn's regime
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

@CycleFree

Ash? Or Ham?

I used to spend a lot of time in Sandwich (Delf St)

Where all the best London people live :)
    One of the best summers of my childhood was spent at Stuart House, Sandwich!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @realDonaldTrump: Are you allowed to impeach a president for gross incompetence?
  • Options
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

chestnut said:

So the morality of these things only matter when they pose a direct threat to us? Well, it's one view I guess.

I don't recall Pinochet trying to bomb London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. The IRA did it regularly.

Hamas have never attacked the UK. So I guess no one will bother making reference to Corbyn's association with them during this campaign, it's not really relevant. Doesn't really matter what they do in their own backyard.
    Read the Hamas Charter. They think that all Jews wherever they are in the world should be killed. That includes British citizens.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@realDonaldTrump: Are you allowed to impeach a president for gross incompetence?

The 17th Amendment allows a President to be removed from office if he is provably a right plonker.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    oooh Trump might be in more trouble
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Hopefully the Norweb Federation returns.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

chestnut said:

So the morality of these things only matter when they pose a direct threat to us? Well, it's one view I guess.

I don't recall Pinochet trying to bomb London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. The IRA did it regularly.

Hamas have never attacked the UK. So I guess no one will bother making reference to Corbyn's association with them during this campaign, it's not really relevant. Doesn't really matter what they do in their own backyard.
    Read the Hamas Charter. They think that all Jews wherever they are in the world should be killed. That includes British citizens.
    That sort of thing unfortunately gets taught in some mosques too.

I believe one in Denmark was in the news very recently for that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    HYUFD said:

the amount couples can give to their children free of inheritance tax will be halved

Sod that !
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    Roger said:
    And they say SeanT is the top troll on here.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Labour are just trolling the electorate aren't they?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

In the case of Greece, they have relatively little debt maturing. The troika deal with them basically was the world's largest "extend and pretend", essentially a very large portion of their debt is close to zero interest and doesn't come due for decades. (I'm on a plane with a very slow connection so I can't check the exact numbers right now.) If all new debt was close to free for them, and this was replacing debt they were paying 6-7% on, then they would be able to use the difference to pay down their debt. (It's funny, we use "extend and pretend" a lot and imply it isn't sorting out a problem. But if someone says that debt equivalent to 100% of GDP is not repayable for 20 years and that there's no interest on it, then that's equivalent to a massive debt write off. After all., you save 20 years of debt repayments at - ooohhh... pick a numer - 3% of GDP.)

I'd also point out that our friends in Ireland had debt that peaked at 125-130% of GDP at the height of the Eurozone crisis and had to be bailed out by the ECB. Their debt-to-GDP is now below ours, and will likely be close to 50% by 2020.

The Eurozone's (outside Greece) big problem is not debt loadings. It's lack of growth. And low growth is largely a consequence of poor demographics and inflexible labour markets.

In a very similar way is the UK's debt/GDP ratio really all that high? Of the £1.73tn stock of debt £0.44tn has real net interest rate of zero, is it real debt if there is no interest payable and the owner/creditor of said debt is unlikely to ever call it in given that it is essentially just a branch of the debtor?

I would put it that the Greek bailout, all global QE (including ours) will eventually just be written off once enough time has passed in order to normalise the sovereign debt market.
    I think that's absolutely right. I wrote a thought piece (in my previous life as a fund manager) that made exactly that point.

Which was why hunchman was always completely bat shit crazy. There is no global government debt crisis given the creditors (the central banks) will never demand repayment.

Where is hunchman, by the way? I haven't seen him on Finchley Road looking for the global centre of lizard government for some time.
    I just finished up writing something fairly similar, though specifically for Japan rather than a global view.

As for hunchman, he's an Eliott Wave enthusiast iirc. Not a great time for them right now, but I'm sure the markets will turn one day and they'll all tell us they were right all along forgetting the opportunity costs of their decisions.
  • Options

tyson said:

Is he muscling in on your territory?
    Probably.....I am the king and prince of self righteous indignity...

but fuck me with a barge poll sideways, Richard Nebavi is a pompous prig of the highest calibre......

And SeanT....he's such a repulsive, pond life, narcissistic, old man, slug toad that likes to boast of his wrinkly sexual antics with much younger girls from time to time..meanwhile we ALL have to try to ignore his inane postings of the wonderful restaurants he eats in....yawn.....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

chestnut said:

No, he only murdered and tortured Jonny Foreigners, so no problem.

I'm trying to remember the chronology - were the Tories cosying up to Pinochet before, after, or at the same time as they were being apologists for Apartheid?
    That would be about the same time that they were arming the Khymer Rouge and the Taliban of Aghanistan too, as I recall.
    I thought Pakistan are the chief backers of the Taliban.
    My memory is hazy.

I vaguely recall that they were fighting the Soviet Union who had many ICBMs pointing at the UK at the time. A trifle, no doubt.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

That said, criminally insane is arbitrary....anyone who takes pleasure in killing living, breathing sentient life should not judge someone like Brady.....

I submit, ladies and gentlemen, the above post for your inspection. Savour it in all its full moral and political madness.
    Lefties are evil scum. We knew this. Et voila.
    Each day brings another round of Corbyn supporters defending links with the IRA, Islamists, Stalinists, and a huge amount of whataboutism. They are in the gutter and appear to be happier than ever wallowing in filth. Perhaps having to pretend to be mild-mannered sensible centre ground types was wearing them down, they can at last be true to their essentially treacherous far-left economically bonkers Marxist selves.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    edited May 2017
    kyf_100 said:
    Labour supporters need something to smile about
  • Options

tyson said:

Thank you, I'll continue as I am. If you don't like me thinking that it is tasteless beyond all the outermost limits of acceptability to make jokes about children, whose parents and siblings are still alive in some cases, being tortured to death, or to equate Ian Brady with foxhunters, then I'll have to try somehow to live without your approval. I expect I'll manage.
    Not just foxhunters, Tyson has expressed similar sentiment towards anyone who eats meat.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

All reporting direct to the Supreme Leader
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

the amount couples can give to their children free of inheritance tax will be halved

Sod that !
    Meanwhile Corbyn and McDonnell set the threshold of the new higher top rate of income tax just above MPs pay
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed
    52 % choose to ignore the scare mongering Bo!!ocks
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Income tax will rise to 50% for all those earning over £80 000 and the amount couples can give to their children free of inheritance tax will be halved
    Totally disagree with both of those polices. I think it's morally wrong to take more 50% of the income of those on 80k. They are hardly millionaires. Also the inheritance tax policy is awful. Shouldn't punish success, we want as many families as possible to become middle class and stay middle class - we don't want kids being less successful than their parents.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt TM would be ideologically opposed to nationalizing the water industry.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Not just foxhunters, Tyson has expressed similar sentiment towards anyone who eats meat.
    Tender hearted Tyson has no problem with late ( very late ) abortions.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair they did since the side spouting drivel like an immediate post-referendum recession if we voted Leave did lose afterall. They came close, but the drive side still lost.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Sod that !
    More work for me........ but let's see them campaign on raising IHT so much. Double taxation is always popular.........
  • Options
    @MaxPB - how are you getting on in Zurich?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Totally disagree with both of those polices. I think it's morally wrong to take more 50% of the income of those on 80k. They are hardly millionaires. Also the inheritance tax policy is awful. Shouldn't punish success, we want as many families as possible to become middle class and stay middle class - we don't want kids being less successful than their parents.
    Indeed, why bother to earn a good salary or preserve wealth for your children if Corbyn's government will take half of it for themselves, if Corbyn did by some miracle get in there would almost certainly be the biggest rise in tax exiles since the 70s
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Don't forget national insurance and tapered personal allowance ..... labour would have a marginal rate of tax of 72% on those between 100k and 123k pa....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    I'm hoping that by next week, Jeremy's Marxist mate will have persuaded him to ban mobile phones and return to the good old days of waiting five months for a phone to be stuck on your hall wall......
  • Options

Don't forget national insurance and tapered personal allowance ..... labour would have a marginal rate of tax of 72% on those between 100k and 123k pa....

I hope we get to see a realistic costing of Labour's manifesto, as I do not for a moment believe that the tax changes they plan would be sufficient in practice. They seem to be based on an assumption of little to no avoidance or change of behaviour by companies and individuals, whereas in reality a large chunk of the profits and trade Labour want to get their hands on will simply move offshore.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    @isam Labour is essentially going through the Tony Benn counterfactual at the moment, except Jeremy Corbyn is a political pygmy compared to Benn.
  • Options
    It's late night iht on pb...... deja vu all over again..
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    justin124 said:

"This is of course all reflected in the polls. Upto GE2015 LAB could largely take the working class vote for granted but now large swathes of it have disappeared.

From what I can gather everything that was predicted about Corbyn’s leadership in a general election is actually happening. He is proving a massive negative and his supporters are left trying to find even more excuses."

Except that the headline VI now seems to show Labour doing little or no worse than in 2015. ICM excepted, all of the recent surveys now have Labour on 30-32% GB-wide.

All the more reason to suppose that said surveys are, in fact, bollocks.

This notion that Labour is doing as well as it got under Miliband in the polls is a complete myth and I don't understand where it is coming from.

In 2015 Labour got a bit over 31% of the GB (not UK) vote. Lets round down to 31% to keep it easy.

According to UK Polling Report of the 11 surveys completed in May, Labour has matched the 31% once (ORB) and scored less than 31% in 10 out of 11 surveys. There has not been a single survey where Labour outperformed 31%.

Labour is polling worse now than it achieved under Ed. That is without taking Labour's historical (including 2015) tendency to underperform polls into account.
    There were two surveys over the weekend - ORB and Opinium - putting Labour on 32%. Moreover if 2015 methodologies were still being used the polls would be showing a range of 30% - 34%.
    At the time I wrote that they were not included in UK Polling Report's list. A few more have been added to that list and it shows that since the start of May there have now been 19 polls. In those 19 polls Labour have underperformed 2015 on 14 occasions, met that figure 3 times and beat it twice. So that still indicates they're doing worse than 2015.

As for if the methodology hadn't changed, I fail to see how that is relevant. The methodology has changed and the reason for that is because the methodology was broken.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tyson said:

Tender hearted Tyson has no problem with late ( very late ) abortions.
    None at all..... what the hell is the problem with terminating late stage human pregnancies especially when there are so many billions of us on the planet causing irrevocable harm? We are hardly an endangered species.

On that rhetorical note, good night all...
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That kind of taxation just kills aspiration. WTF....

I'm more in favour of going after tax avoiders and evaders than this kind of punitive taxation.
  • Options

It's more boring than I wanted so I find myself going to and from London a lot because there's not a lot to do in Zurich over the weekends and I have loads of pre-existing social commitments back home. Luckily ZRH to LCY is really quick. My gf seems less happy in Zurich than she was in London despite being from Switzerland, but I think she'd grown very used to living in London and it's not been easy for her to adjust to the non-24/7 pace of a city that isn't London or NY. I expected a step down, but not this big. However, (and it's a big one) we both earn 3x what we did in London so it's worth it, at least for a while.

I think the main problem is that we're fairly isolated from our social circle who are all in London and Swiss people are notoriously difficult to socialise with, especially because I speak standard German rather than their oddball version.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    I think the country - all nations, all regions, all political persuasions, all classes- is probably unified in being pleased to see the back of Ian Brady.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hey, Apocalypse! Don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate PB Tories will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx - Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy! We got tactical smart missiles, we got phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs! We got sonic electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp-sticks...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I think the country - all nations, all regions, all political persuasions, all classes- is probably unified in being pleased to see the back of Ian Brady.

Has Corbyn made a statement yet ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    chestnut said:

Holds breaths to see if Jezza once wrote him a letter....I mean he did after all write to a judge to get an ISIS funder raiser out of prison for Christmas.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Plus employer's NI, which should be included. After all, if you have an employee (let alone a director) earning £100K, you'd be stark raving bonkers to pay her a £10K bonus under those rules: out of the £11.38K it would cost, she'd get a miserable £2.8K. She'd take a pension contribution (tax rate: 0%), or work less days, or leave and incorporate as a business, or you'd simply accrue it until sanity returned.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm more in favour of going after tax avoiders and evaders than this kind of punitive taxation.

Labour needs to go after wealth and assets for redistribution not income.....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    bobajobPB said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

What do you expect? He's a bit of a drip

(and so to bed)
    just go with the flow....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'd like to think Andrew Neil will be all over these pip squeaking rates in his interviews when the manifesto is finally published. It's madness.

Even if it's 45% at 80k then at 100k were talking 67% or 2/3 marginal taxation . That's enough for people to go 4 days a week....if affected.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's more boring than I wanted so I find myself going to and from London a lot because there's not a lot to do in Zurich over the weekends and I have loads of pre-existing social commitments back home. Luckily ZRH to LCY is really quick. My gf seems less happy in Zurich than she was in London despite being from Switzerland, but I think she'd grown very used to living in London and it's not been easy for her to adjust to the non-24/7 pace of a city that isn't London or NY. I expected a step down, but not this big. However, (and it's a big one) we both earn 3x what we did in London so it's worth it, at least for a while.

I think the main problem is that we're fairly isolated from our social circle who are all in London and Swiss people are notoriously difficult to socialise with, especially because I speak standard German rather than their oddball version.
    I had a friend who ran the Reuters office there for a few years. I think he found the same to some extent, but he was a keen skier and that was a big compensation.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's slashing the iht exemption isn't it?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:

Interesting interview with Corbyn, including the revelation that he took part in debates at his grammar school calling for it to be made comprehensive

He absolutely hates his alma mater, and has slagged it off in the past numerous times...it is one of the best Grammar schools in the country....but the thicko could only manage 2 E's.
    But 2 E's from the late 1960s would surely be worth 2C's today!
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IHT consistently polls as one of the least popular taxes
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Plus employer's NI, which should be included. After all, if you have an employee (let alone a director) earning £100K, you'd be stark raving bonkers to pay her a £10K bonus under those rules: out of the £11.38K it would cost, she'd get a miserable £2.8K. She'd take a pension contribution (tax rate: 0%), or work less days, or leave and incorporate as a business, or you'd simply accrue it until sanity returned.
    True... voters dont see that though..... also i presume the tapered annual allowance thresholds would be slashed too so pension contributions are fecked too.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

In the case of Greece, they have relatively little debt maturing. The troika deal with them basically was the world's largest "extend and pretend", essentially a very large portion of their debt is close to zero interest and doesn't come due for decades. (I'm on a plane with a very slow connection so I can't check the exact numbers right now.) If all new debt was close to free for them, and this was replacing debt they were paying 6-7% on, then they would be able to use the difference to pay down their debt. (It's funny, we use "extend and pretend" a lot and imply it isn't sorting out a problem. But if someone says that debt equivalent to 100% of GDP is not repayable for 20 years and that there's no interest on it, then that's equivalent to a massive debt write off. After all., you save 20 years of debt repayments at - ooohhh... pick a numer - 3% of GDP.)

I'd also point out that our friends in Ireland had debt that peaked at 125-130% of GDP at the height of the Eurozone crisis and had to be bailed out by the ECB. Their debt-to-GDP is now below ours, and will likely be close to 50% by 2020.

The Eurozone's (outside Greece) big problem is not debt loadings. It's lack of growth. And low growth is largely a consequence of poor demographics and inflexible labour markets.

In a very similar way is the UK's debt/GDP ratio really all that high? Of the £1.73tn stock of debt £0.44tn has real net interest rate of zero, is it real debt if there is no interest payable and the owner/creditor of said debt is unlikely to ever call it in given that it is essentially just a branch of the debtor?

I would put it that the Greek bailout, all global QE (including ours) will eventually just be written off once enough time has passed in order to normalise the sovereign debt market.
    I think that's absolutely right. I wrote a thought piece (in my previous life as a fund manager) that made exactly that point.

Which was why hunchman was always completely bat shit crazy. There is no global government debt crisis given the creditors (the central banks) will never demand repayment.

Where is hunchman, by the way? I haven't seen him on Finchley Road looking for the global centre of lizard government for some time.
    Hunchman received the red card.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Do you tell them this? ;-)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Another huge advantage of Switzerland, personal taxation is very favourable, my effective tax rate is around half what it would be in the UK (though I have to pay for private health insurance which isn't cheap).
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Don't think they need to worry about the catering for his wake certainly
  • Options

I'm hoping that by next week, Jeremy's Marxist mate will have persuaded him to ban mobile phones and return to the good old days of waiting five months for a phone to be stuck on your hall wall......

You joke, but if energy is partially nationalised, and water, trains, and the mail fully nationalised in time, then why would it stop there? Wouldn't BT be a target too?
  • Options

True... voters dont see that though..... also i presume the tapered annual allowance thresholds would be slashed too so pension contributions are fecked too.

Yeah, they'd have to close off all the ways round it. But they can't force people to stay in the UK, unless they go the full East German experience, or force them to work for nothing much in return.
  • Options
    glw said:

You joke, but if energy is partially nationalised, and water, trains, and the mail fully nationalised in time, then why would it stop there? Wouldn't BT be a target too?
    BT Sport reporting on the supreme leaders first place in the world jam making championships...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Hopefully the Norweb Federation returns.
    Ah those trips to the gas board or electricity board 'showrooms' with their incredibly restricted choice of appliances.

Into the 90s my mother had a gas fridge. Didn't plug into the electricity at all. Seemed to work just fine.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I had a friend who ran the Reuters office there for a few years. I think he found the same to some extent, but he was a keen skier and that was a big compensation.
    I'm not a huge winter sports fan, neither is my partner but our place does have a swimming pool and a we've just got a decent gas fired BBQ so roll on summer.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

All the time! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    glw said:

I hope we get to see a realistic costing of Labour's manifesto, as I do not for a moment believe that the tax changes they plan would be sufficient in practice. They seem to be based on an assumption of little to no avoidance or change of behaviour by companies and individuals, whereas in reality a large chunk of the profits and trade Labour want to get their hands on will simply move offshore.
    They could ban the export of capital.

This 43-page leaked draft of the Labour manifesto that talks about IHT is different from the 41-paged leaked draft I have read, which doesn't.

What will be next? Will someone leak a videotape of every last manifesto meeting of the inner circle? The Labour Party has been utterly spooked.

If this gets pushed too far, and assuming there are some honourable people there, someone is going to walk out and film themselves storming into the Thames House lobby and asking to meet MI5 director Andrew Parker so that they can tell him to his face that he might as well come clean and write the whole manifesto.
  • Options
    I maybe in a meeting but can someone tweet Andrew Neil the effective marginal rate of tax once it's confirmed what labs new higher thresholds are especially at the 100k to 123k margin?
  • Options

glw said:

BT Sport reporting on the supreme leaders first place in the world jam making championships...
    Labour hate Sky, so nationalising their rival must look tempting.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm not a huge winter sports fan, neither is my partner but our place does have a swimming pool and a we've just got a decent gas fired BBQ so roll on summer.

The other thing which some people like very much about Zurich is that it is within easy reach of some wonderful places in Bavaria and Italy, so it's great for weekend breaks.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tax property
    Tax wags

Its not the income of the rich which is resented but their lifestyles.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    glw said:

glw said:

Labour hate Sky, so nationalising their rival must look tempting.
    Nationise the Premier League? I mean with the maximum wage it won't be worth very much anyway.
  • Options

Yeah, they'd have to close off all the ways round it. But they can't force people to stay in the UK, unless they go the full East German experience, or force them to work for nothing much in return.
    It's madness or trolling or both.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MaxPB said:

Back in the late 80s there was a novel about a German settling in German-speaking Switzerland, which was essentially about how German-speaking Swiss look down on everyone else (including French-, Italian- and Romansh-speaking Swiss) and are impossible to get close to. Sorry, forget the name and author, and probably only funny if you live there.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,398
    Cyclefree said:

Re Corbyn and the IRA - let's look at now rather than the past.

Corbyn allies himself with anti-Semites at a time when there are increasing attacks on Jews, some of them viciously murderous. He takes money from Press TV, the propaganda arm of the Iranian regime, a regime which uses rape as a punishment and hangs gay men from cranes.

This is the leader of a party which claims to be in favour of gay rights, in favour of the rights of women and against racism. It has a leader who either simply does not understand the values he claims to believe in or is cynical about them or who believes that his enemy's enemy is his friend. I believe it to be the last. I think that the hard Left's belief in these values is skin deep and is chiefly used as a weapon against others. Certain victim groups are useful if they can be used to criticise others but can be - and are - dropped as soon as some other more fashionable "victim" group can trump them.

It is what happens when values are chiefly seen as a way of proclaiming one's own virtue and moral superiority rather than as moral imperatives which should determine one's actions.

But whatever the explanation it shows - to me anyway - that Corbyn is not a principled or honest politician, that he has appalling judgment (as he did with the IRA), that he simply cannot be trusted to act in the interests of British citizens and that he is, therefore, unfit to be a leader of a major political party let alone Prime Minister.

Nice to have you back Cyclefree. We have missed that clarity.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The other thing which some people like very much about Zurich is that it is within easy reach of some wonderful places in Bavaria and Italy, so it's great for weekend breaks.
    I think Basel is better for that because the trains go to Germany, France and Italy from there. I contemplated moving to Basel a few years ago when my partner and I were going through a difficult patch because her workplace relocated her back to Basel for 9 months but thought better of it and then she decided to leave anyway to come back to London and do her PhD at UCL.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Nationise the Premier League? I mean with the maximum wage it won't be worth very much anyway.

Hmm, being serious I wouldn't be at all surprised in nationalising Openreach was considered, and I can see increasing the listed sporting events being a plausible tool for screwing Sky.
  • Options
    glw said:

I hope so. BTW the telegraph system was nationalised in 1870 under Gladstone.

Water should be nationalised. Some of the Chinese-owned water companies in Britain try and scam people into paying for five months of water in advance.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Y0kel said:
    Actually, Steve Covey's son, Steve Covey Jr, has already written a book called "The Eighth Habit" It is about trust ... :)
This discussion has been closed.