Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – Labour’s election gift to Mrs. May and the Tor

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Ishmael_Z said:

2. The majority of the party membership are Corbyn enthusiasts, and at least a large part of them are oblivious to the mood of the country and convinced that their man is on the verge of sweeping to power. When they are disabused of this notion, they will be crestfallen, and about five minutes later incandescent with thwarted, frustrated, bitter rage. The three likely targets of said rage will be (1) ungrateful, selfish and stupid voters, (2) the dreaded MSM, and (3) Blairites (i.e. everybody in the Labour Movement deemed insufficiently loyal to the leader, including the bulk of the PLP.) Most of all, it'll be the Blairites who cop the flak, and get the blame (because, for the Far Left, everybody is to blame for their failures except they themselves.)

Under 2. you omitted the fact that the system is rigged.
    By Goldman Sachs and MI5, presumably?
    Ishmael_Z said:

Do we have any feel for the membership of the much-diminished PLP after the election as between Corbynistas and normal people - does that division map onto marginality/safety of seat at all? And what are the chances of the Labour conference implementing the reduction of minimum number of nominations from MPs in leadership elections from 15% to 5%?

The latest estimates I recall having seen suggested that the Corbynites would not meet the 15% threshold, but this doesn't much matter if Corbyn himself simply stands again and stamps out any attempt at rebellion. Regardless of how many Labour MPs lose their seats, the electorate at large won't be voting any of the Corbyn backers out of the Labour mass membership.

If I'm correct and more digging in of heels by Corbyn fans results in most of the surviving Labour MPs throwing in the towel and abandoning ship in despair, then the latter question about Labour Conference becomes moot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    surbiton said:

MikeL said:

This ITV programme won't help Corbyn.

Reinforces big picture overwhelmingly - he doesn't look like a PM.

Was anybody thinking he was going to be one ?
    All those in Leeds this evening that turned out to worship the messiah?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,398
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Anyone seen Plato? I share no brief for her politics but she did provide a useful commentary on Eastbourne in 2015. LD's might hope to regain that seat or more likely Lewes next door

Still on the naughty step. Not sure if it is permanent.
    Yes, Plato is now on Morris's blog/twitter account every day with lots of animal photos and stories. I asked her if she wanted to return to PB but got no answer.
    She should stay away.
    I was already banned when Plato was booted. What did she do that was so terrible?
    I think it was the continual linkages to alt-right fake news sites that did it.
    My personal view [ it is not my website ] is that views from the Right to the Left should be accommodated. But not the extreme Right or the extreme Left. So no alt-Right and no SWP types.
    Does that mean we should ban Corbyn supporters?
    Aren't they suffering enough right now? If they can't even vent at the rest of us they might explode.
    There aren't too many Corbynistas here.
    Some former Corbynistas, surely?
    Like who ?
    I don't know, that's why it was a question. Some people voted for him, and not only PB Tories, I presume.
    I am sure a lot, in fact, a majority including the £3ers. Personally, I am not totally convinced that he would have got 50% in 2015 had it not been for the £3ers.

I was talking about Labour supporters in PB.
    I thought he received the majority in all blocks of the party, both £3ers and full members?
    Wasn't it 47 or 48% of the members ? I could be wrong.
    Figures are here, and he would still have won in the first round:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-won-a-landslide-with-full-labour-party-members-not-just-3-supporters-10498221.html
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. And I would not be surprised if Labour get a higher vote than we might expect precisely because of this. All it will mean is that Labour - as a decent left of centre party rather than a combination of the SWP/Respect - dies completely.

I was at a church service yesterday marking the start of Christian Aid week. Included in the material was some phrasing very close to Labour's slogan for this GE.

".... not only for the few .... but for the many...."

Coincidence? I would think this material has been available since well before the GE was called. Maybe someone noted the line & suggested the slogan.

Nevertheless, it was there. Will it sway any votes? Who knows.
    Did your church service mention a man with a beard and the initials JC?
    Julian Cope?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. And I would not be surprised if Labour get a higher vote than we might expect precisely because of this. All it will mean is that Labour - as a decent left of centre party rather than a combination of the SWP/Respect - dies completely.

I was at a church service yesterday marking the start of Christian Aid week. Included in the material was some phrasing very close to Labour's slogan for this GE.

Coincidence? I would think this material has been available since well before the GE was called. Maybe someone noted the line & suggested the slogan.

"not for the few .... but for the many" was also Tony Blair's line in 1997 !
    Spock also uttered a very similar phrase.
    Quite so, he was a font of wisdom - from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs was one of his too, I'm sure of it.
    Similarly, Chancellor Palpatine has some good quotes on security and stability... :smiley:
    He's my idol.
    The way he led both sides in a war. Genius!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Scott_P said:
    Gives it its flavour, like how being made by slaves makes our clothes so soft.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Julian Cope?
    Is it true that Corbyn is going to introduce greedhead detector vans?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/thetimes/status/864197445923766272

Could?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Anyone seen Plato? I share no brief for her politics but she did provide a useful commentary on Eastbourne in 2015. LD's might hope to regain that seat or more likely Lewes next door

Yes, Plato is now on Morris's blog/twitter account every day with lots of animal photos and stories. I asked her if she wanted to return to PB but got no answer.
    She should stay away.
    I was already banned when Plato was booted. What did she do that was so terrible?
    I think it was the continual linkages to alt-right fake news sites that did it.
    My personal view [ it is not my website ] is that views from the Right to the Left should be accommodated. But not the extreme Right or the extreme Left. So no alt-Right and no SWP types.
    Does that mean we should ban Corbyn supporters?
    Aren't they suffering enough right now? If they can't even vent at the rest of us they might explode.
    There aren't too many Corbynistas here.
    Some former Corbynistas, surely?
    Like who ?
    I don't know, that's why it was a question. Some people voted for him, and not only PB Tories, I presume.
    I am sure a lot, in fact, a majority including the £3ers. Personally, I am not totally convinced that he would have got 50% in 2015 had it not been for the £3ers.

I was talking about Labour supporters in PB.
    So was I - did none vote for Corbyn either time? It's not a trick question, I don't know, though I feel like someone at least must have if only once.
    I only voted for 1. Cooper, 2. Burnham in 2015.

In 2016, I did not vote at all. It was the first time in my life that I did not vote in a election of any kind where I was a voter.

I could not bring myself to vote for Owen Smith. I would not have voted for Eagle either.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    Which shows why free trade deals are a bad idea. I've no idea why politicians are obsessed with them. We can trade without them.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite so, he was a font of wisdom - from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs was one of his too, I'm sure of it.
    Didn't Kirk ask him (in Wrath of Khan) how each of the trainees will do under pressure and he said something like; "like as with all things, each according to his gifts"?
    You may well be right. *whispers*I think Wrath of Khan is overrated.*endswhisper* so I'm not sure.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Which shows why free trade deals are a bad idea. I've no idea why politicians are obsessed with them. We can trade without them.
    Apart from all of that, British farmers will be bankrupt. From a frying pan, ...........
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:
    Abbot self propelled gun.
    Certainly looks that way, Mr. Spyn, three three grills at the top front of fuselage are a bit of a give away. Now, that makes the photo a bit odd, the Abbot left UK service about 20 years ago.
  • Options

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

I believe it is Jessiah.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Didn't Kirk ask him (in Wrath of Khan) how each of the trainees will do under pressure and he said something like; "like as with all things, each according to his gifts"?
    “As with all living things, each according to his gift”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

I believe it is Jessiah.
    He's not the Jezziah, he's a very naughty boy!

The only thing to sing for Labour right now is a requiem mass.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You may well be right. *whispers*I think Wrath of Khan is overrated.*endswhisper* so I'm not sure.

You what?

Please tell me you're joking.

The Wrath of Khan is one of the finest films of all time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

The case isn't comparable. Joshua bar Joseph called the Christ wore sandals.
    He was a Liberal Democrat ?
  • Options
    One of my all time favourite puns was when I put in a Wrath of Khan reference into a thread header.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:
    Abbot self propelled gun.
    Certainly looks that way, Mr. Spyn, three three grills at the top front of fuselage are a bit of a give away. Now, that makes the photo a bit odd, the Abbot left UK service about 20 years ago.
    Who knew the Abbott was one of the most powerful weapons in their arsenal? Oh, we aren't talking about the Tory Party? :D
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cookie said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

What has Tissue Price ever done to deserve the ludicrously overdone praise on here? I'm sure he is a nice bloke - but so is Nick, yet he and other PBMPs don't receive such sycophantic adulation!

Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler.

He's been a great sounding board for me when I edit PB during Mike's holidays.

I know for damn sure I've made a lot of money following his advice and tips.

I've gotten to know him a lot in the past couple of years, and I consider him a friend.

As for Nick, I met him two days before GE2015 and wished him the best of luck, and I was also chuffed when he was readopted in 2013.

It would be great for politics if we had more MPs like Aaron, who haven't done professional politics before.

Plus it would be great for PB if we had another MP on the board.
    "Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler." - If he wins, I hope he is not in the Public Accounts Committee.
    Let's all hope he gets onto the Gambling Commission and makes them do something about the iniquitous way Bookmakers close the accounts of successful punters.
    Sunbets;

"As a courtesy, we wish to inform you that following an account review, we are no longer able to offer you access to certain enhanced odds and promotional offers. As you may be aware, this is usual practice in our industry."

My crime? Attempting to bet on out-of-line odds.

Bet was rejected, odds slashed, email received.

I've never won a bet with them.

"this is usual practice in our industry"

pft.
    What do successful punters do about this? I've spent a few months gambling now - I've had one account closed, and six or seven others not taking bets above £10 or so. I'm not a major player by any means. Presumably major gamblers run out of bookies very quickly?
    Quicker than bookies run out of major gamblers, sadly.

I am a tiny bit surprised they are so harsh about this - Betfair did this to me when I had made less than £100 over 4 bets with them. I'd have thought they should be encouraging me at that stage in the hope I got carried away by beginner's luck and lost the farm to them. And if a few people do make it big, surely that's the best possible publicity for them? When the fun stops, stop, but OTOH how do you think Ishmael paid for his Learjet?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

I believe it is Jessiah.

There is a photo of him on a balcony with the cult worshipers, it is very like the Life of Brian.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

The case isn't comparable. Joshua bar Joseph called the Christ wore sandals.
    He was a Liberal Democrat ?
    But of course! After all, there were only a handful of them following a leader nobody paid much attention too and they were almost all brutally tortured to destruction by an unhinged despot.

The next phase, where they changed the world forever, may be a fraction beyond Farron and his apostles...
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

“As with all living things, each according to his gift”
    That's it!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

D: You've made me resort to a smiley!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Alright, who else thinks @kle4 should be banished to ConHome?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

MikeL said:

I believe it is Jessiah.

There is a photo of him on a balcony with the cult worshipers, it is very like the Life of Brian.
    If this election ends with them being crucified at Wembley a la Whoops Apocalypse while singing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, it would be saner than what's happening right now.
  • Options

kle4 said:

You what?

To misuse a phrase - you may well think that, I could not possibly comment. Any further. In order to be wise.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alright, who else thinks @kle4 should be banished to ConHome?

I see you corrected that typo! Pity, I was about to make a very amusing joke about it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Interesting interview with Corbyn, including the revelation that he took part in debates at his grammar school calling for it to be made comprehensive
  • Options

twitter.com/CompletePol/status/864196243307851777

That SNP figure makes me happy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Interesting interview with Corbyn, including the revelation that he took part in debates at his grammar school calling for it to be made comprehensive

He absolutely hates his alma mater, and has slagged it off in the past numerous times...it is one of the best Grammar schools in the country....but the thicko could only manage 2 E's.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Cookie said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

What has Tissue Price ever done to deserve the ludicrously overdone praise on here? I'm sure he is a nice bloke - but so is Nick, yet he and other PBMPs don't receive such sycophantic adulation!

Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler.

He's been a great sounding board for me when I edit PB during Mike's holidays.

I know for damn sure I've made a lot of money following his advice and tips.

I've gotten to know him a lot in the past couple of years, and I consider him a friend.

As for Nick, I met him two days before GE2015 and wished him the best of luck, and I was also chuffed when he was readopted in 2013.

It would be great for politics if we had more MPs like Aaron, who haven't done professional politics before.

Plus it would be great for PB if we had another MP on the board.
    "Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler." - If he wins, I hope he is not in the Public Accounts Committee.
    Let's all hope he gets onto the Gambling Commission and makes them do something about the iniquitous way Bookmakers close the accounts of successful punters.
    Sunbets;

"As a courtesy, we wish to inform you that following an account review, we are no longer able to offer you access to certain enhanced odds and promotional offers. As you may be aware, this is usual practice in our industry."

My crime? Attempting to bet on out-of-line odds.

Bet was rejected, odds slashed, email received.

I've never won a bet with them.

"this is usual practice in our industry"

pft.
    What do successful punters do about this? I've spent a few months gambling now - I've had one account closed, and six or seven others not taking bets above £10 or so. I'm not a major player by any means. Presumably major gamblers run out of bookies very quickly?
    Bet on betfair exchange?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,648
    Scott_P said:
    I'm content for such choices to be made by the consumer, not Government.

Clear labelling is the only criteria I'd impose.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

One of my all time favourite puns was when I put in a Wrath of Khan reference into a thread header.

No one likes to see a triple captain benched....
  • Options
    Sort of on topic, I've had some very sensible Labour types I know be pretty blase about the Corbyn IRA stuff. They take the view as occasionally expressed on here that it basically no different than other politicians shaking hands with bad people at one point or another. I'd say there is a qualitative difference from most of those counter examples, but it does lead me to believe the eve less sensible will not be much fazed by it en masse, even though some undoubtedly will be.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    surbiton said:
    Labour a touch high you think ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,073
    edited May 2017

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Julian Cope?
    Julian Cope is dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDmjZfa_Z0

On that note, it looks as though the KLF - in their JAMMS form - might be doing something in August this year, thirty years after their brilliant album '1997'. Yippee!

http://k2planthireltd.com/
  • Options

Tell me about it.

I'd have won the PB Fantasy football but for rotten luck.
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    Their actual prediction is CON 3885, LAB 193, SNP 45, LD 6.

That Labour number is pretty high, but within what I think they can manage, would be very happy with that SNP, and the LDs, well, there's no real helping them.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

HYUFD said:

He absolutely hates his alma mater, and has slagged it off in the past numerous times...it is one of the best Grammar schools in the country....but the thicko could only manage 2 E's.
    Yes, sadly, that's all I could manage, and I had to work my socks off to get that. I'm about the same age as Mr Corbyn.
  • Options
    Checks open spread betting position.

Oh I so hope this is right
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    CON 3885 - Crickey....Tories predicted to win elections worldwide...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Did he call for it to stop taking boarders as well?
  • Options

CON 3885 - Crickey....

Sunil, you can put away that bar chart!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

To misuse a phrase - you may well think that, I could not possibly comment. Any further. In order to be wise.
    Tell me you consider Star Trek V: The Final Frontier the worst Star Trek film ever?

That will redeem you in my eyes.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

GeoffM said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

What right-wing tripe did she say to get herself banned?
    That Donald Trump would be elected POTUS.

How we all laughed.
    She didn't predict that - she predicted a narrow Hillary victory
    At one point, yes. But you (and others) miss the point.

She refused to join the echo-chamber and she contributed news and opinions from sources that weren't in the Hillary camp. Plato showed us that there were two sides to the election.
    Plato gave Trump a 60 per cent chance of victory when I asked her in the final week, so she can claim that as a win.

But 99 per cent of what she posted here was fake news, and most of it obviously fake. So obvious that she cannot actually have looked at it -- she was just copying and pasting from Twitter, so far as I could make out. I certainly wasted a lot of time watching dodgy Youtube videos and reading alt-right sites she linked to.
    Perhaps. She also forecast a narrow Clinton victory in the final days - so covering all bases.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

Sort of on topic, I've had some very sensible Labour types I know be pretty blase about the Corbyn IRA stuff. They take the view as occasionally expressed on here that it basically no different than other politicians shaking hands with bad people at one point or another. I'd say there is a qualitative difference from most of those counter examples, but it does lead me to believe the eve less sensible will not be much fazed by it en masse, even though some undoubtedly will be.

False equivalence is a very subtle defence.
  • Options

CON 3885 - Crickey....Tories predicted to win elections worldwide...

I swear I did spot the typo, but thought it funny enough to leave in.
  • Options
    Yougov Regional breakdown, Tories lead or tie Labour in every GB region bar London and the North East

North East Labour 42% Cons 40% UKIP 8% LD 6%
    North West Cons 42% Labour 42% LD 8% UKIP 6%
    Yorkshire and the Humber Cons 43% Labour 38% LD 9% UKIP 7%
    East Midlands Cons 54% Labour 28% LD 8% UKIP 7%
    West Midlands Cons 51% Labour 28% LD 9% UKIP 9%
    East Cons 56% Labour 19% LD 12% UKIP 9%
    London Labour 41% Cons 36% LD 14% UKIP 6%
    South East Cons 56% Labour 19% LD 15% UKIP 6%
    South West Cons 52% Labour 22% LD 16% UKIP 6%
    Wales Cons 41% Labour 35% PC 11% LD 7% UKIP 4%
    Scotland SNP 41% Cons 28% Lab 18% LD 7% UKIP 2%
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/voting-intention-regional-breakdown-apr-24-may-5/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited May 2017

My mate is 5000th overall in the Fantasy Prem.. and he has got Azpilicueta!

Could be inside the top 0.1% by the end of the night
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Scott_P said:
    Do cows now go baa? Not very apposite picture.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, I expect they have other alumni they would rather highlight
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

Tell me you consider Star Trek V: The Final Frontier the worst Star Trek ever?

It's a lot worse than Wrath of Khan, but the whole 'what does God need with a starship?' stuff is so out there it is funny. I guess it is technically the worst. Though I haven't seen nemesis.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

Tell me you consider Star Trek V: The Final Frontier the worst Star Trek film ever?

Not The Search For Spock?

Nemesis is the pits but its TNG.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There is at least 1 state comprehensive boarding school
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/state-comprehensive-boarding-school-royal-alexandra-albert-offers-best-of-both-worlds-8968092.html
  • Options
    isam said:

I've got bleeding Alonso as skipper...

The current leader in the PB Fantasy Footy is 6,534th.... [not me]
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

Yougov Regional breakdown, Tories lead or tie Labour in every GB region bar London and the North East

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/voting-intention-regional-breakdown-apr-24-may-5/

Amusingly, Labour are reportedly UP in the SW.

It seems unlikely the Tories manage to get leads in all these areas, but it does seem progress is being made by them, significant in places.
  • Options

Tell me about it.

Too many liverpool players since Xmas?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    isam said:

Could be inside the top 0.1% by the end of the night
    In the Sun competition I got as high as 40th overall just before Christmas (still 65 points off the lead, mind). It's been downhill since.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It seems unlikely the Tories manage to get leads in all these areas, but it does seem progress is being made by them, significant in places.
    Unfortunately for Labour they have barely any target seats in the SW
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

I liked Search for Spock a lot, had so many iconic moments.

My ranking of original series Star Trek films

1) Wrath of Khan 2) The Undiscovered Country 3) The Voyage Home 4) The Search for Spock 5) The Motion Picture: The Director's Edition 6) The Final Frontier.
  • Options
    isam said:

Funny, when I was likely to stand for Parliament, I was told I might get sued by Jim Messina for linking to Mark Pack's website! Bankrupts cant MP's they told me!

Gentle encouragement!

Mind you, I didn't really have any chance of winning so it didnt matter anyway

Does Aaron have any chance? Caroline Flint is sitting on a majority of 8,000+ in a seat that has been held by Labour since the party came into existence. If Aaron can overturn Caroline then hats off to him!
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Funny, when I was likely to stand for Parliament, I was told I might get sued by Jim Messina for linking to Mark Pack's website! Bankrupts cant MP's they told me!

Gentle encouragement!

Does Aaron have any chance? Caroline Flint is sitting on a majority of 8,000+ in a seat that has been held by Labour since the party came into existence. If Aaron can overturn Caroline then hats off to him!
    Maybe the good lord will poll in Don Valley?
  • Options

Tell me about it.

I did lead the PB League until Christmas, it was mostly the fact whichever second striker I picked decided to either get injured or give up scoring goals, the moment I transferred them out, they started scoring.

I'd have been better off picking Bobby Soldado.
  • Options

Tell me about it.

I did lead the PB League until Christmas, it was mostly the fact whichever second striker I picked decided to either get injured or give up scoring goals, the moment I transferred them out, they started scoring.

I'd have been better off picking Bobby Soldado.
    My dropping of Bobby2 was what turned my season round!
  • Options

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

1) Wrath of Khan 2) The Undiscovered Country 3) The Voyage Home 4) The Search for Spock 5) The Motion Picture: The Director's Edition 6) The Final Frontier.
    I remember when TUC came out, I was eight and whilst all my mates wanted to watch Ninja Turtles I was annoying my parents to take me to see it....then when that failed, rent it on video. That also failed so I had to wait for the TV premiere.
    The final battle still gives me goosebumps.....anyway, back to betting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If they can hold all four they do have, that's something. (Exeter and the people's Bristolian Republic - Exeter has bucked the trend enough I'd say Bradshaw will win, and while the Greens and LDs might hope to pinch one of the Bristol seats, I think only Bristol East seems truly vulnerable, but even then Corbyn is an asset in the city).
  • Options

isam said:

I've got bleeding Alonso as skipper...

The current leader in the PB Fantasy Footy is 6,534th.... [not me]
    That's pretty impressive. My mate is 5195th actually, and has Ake who has been booked tonight, as well as Diego who is on ze bench.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

Isn't it amazing that political anoraks can reveal an even sadder side...
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Gentle encouragement!

He needs to take nearly all the UKIP vote (no candidate this time), and see a CON boost I think. Not impossible, but no easy task.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Gentle encouragement!

The Conservatives are odds on favs in Dagenham, once the biggest council estate in Europe... nothing makes sense anymore
  • Options
    TSE

A London mayor story I'd venture?
  • Options
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Gentle encouragement!

Maybe the good lord will poll in Don Valley?
    Ashcroft's constituency model (not poll) has it as leaning Labour rather than, say, too closed to call, although the underlying projections (on Brexit 'enthusiasm', PM preference and being on the 'right track' seem to suggest it is viable as a target.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    O/T but I got my Conservative election mailing through the door in SW Edinburgh today. The graph is an absolute classic of the genre - so wish I could share it
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

I remember when TUC came out, I was eight and whilst all my mates wanted to watch Ninja Turtles I was annoying my parents to take me to see it....then when that failed, rent it on video. That also failed so I had to wait for the TV premiere.
    Shakespeare and Star Trek, it was like snorting coke of a hooker's tits for me awesome for me.

I might do a thread on it, Jeremy Corbyn = General Chang.

The best ever battles in the history of Star Trek belongs to DS9, in The Sacrifice of Angels and The Second Battle of Chin'toka.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/state-comprehensive-boarding-school-royal-alexandra-albert-offers-best-of-both-worlds-8968092.html
    There are a very large number. Keswick, for example. But usually they are there becuase their old catchment area is so vast/inaccessible it is not possible for children to make daily commutes to it. I don't quite think that is the case in Newport.
  • Options

O/T but I got my Conservative election mailing through the door in SW Edinburgh today. The graph is an absolute classic of the genre - so wish I could share it

Is SW Rifkind's old seat - Pentlands ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Cookie said:

PaulM said:

I don't find Nick to be especially partisan. I think he posted after the 2010 election that there were things that he knew from canvassing but wasn't at liberty to say publicly (and he did caveat his postings by saying he was a loyal Labour MP which would inform what he would say publicly, but that he would endeavour to not post things that he knew to be untrue.) , but I don't think he has been ramping or campaigning on here.

He's also quite willing to get into the statistical side of things, which I like.

I recall Stewart Jackson was more keen to get into the partisan back and forth, which PB.com isn't really the best venue.

Both are informative, and, more importantly, polite. Neither villifies those who do not agree with them.
    That this is effective politics - Nick has previously said that you don't persuade anyone to agree with you by abusing you - takes nothing away from it's laudability on a site such as this.
    Thanks for these and other kind comments,. I've noticed that since I stepped back from the front line, the more aggressive comments towards me have eased off. I sort of miss them, a bit in the same way that it's a bad sign if your spouse no longer bothers to tell you off.

It's a waste of time to campaign on PB, since by definition we're nearly all partisans of one kind or another. But it's a great place to exchange views with people who you might not otherwise come across, and thus get out of the comfort zone. I enjoyed meeting Tissue Price a couple of years ago and also think he's a good, level-headed punter. I won't quite wish him victory for obvious reasons, but I hope he's having fun.

And on topic, I'm still a Corbynista. It's not that I have illusions about his winning (although I don't find anything remotely like the hostility to him that is reported in the thread header), just that I like his leadership style and most of his policies. If someone else comes along who can convince me that (s)he is (a) better able to win and (b) has worthwhile policies, I'll give them some thought. I have no interest in Labour winning without worthwhile policies, and think that the current UKIP->Con move would make it very hard to win under any leader: Once Brexit's impact becomes clear, matters may be different.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

Isn't it amazing that political anoraks can reveal an even sadder side...
    My experience is that people who are anoraks in one obscure area, are probably anoraks in others as well (not that such mainstream stuff is obscure).

Could be worse - anyone collect antique globes? (I kid, nor do I, but actually that might be fascinating).
  • Options
    edited May 2017

At least describe it for us - I love a good bar chart. Skewed proportions? Figures from different polling companies? Figures comparing different types of election? Using betting odds in bar chart form?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

Is SW Rifkind's old seat - Pentlands ?

Mostly. They added some Labour wards and chopped off some more affluent areas to create South West
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    What malevolent force Corbyn and Momentum are (and betting post)

Jeremy Corbyn's core campaign team of dedicated activists, Momentum, has been diverting campaigners away from the marginal seats of some of his most vocal critics, including Wes Streeting and Neil Coyle.

The hard-left group created a marginal map, launched last Thursday, in which voters type in their postcodes and are directed to their 'nearest marginal'.

The Telegraph checked postcodes in the marginal seats to see whether they were included on the map.

However, voters in the seats of 36 out of the 50 former Labour MPs with the lowest majorities, when the Telegraph checked, were directed to other constituencies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/jeremy-corbyns-campaign-group-directs-activists-away-key-marginal/
  • Options

Cookie said:

PaulM said:

I don't find Nick to be especially partisan. I think he posted after the 2010 election that there were things that he knew from canvassing but wasn't at liberty to say publicly (and he did caveat his postings by saying he was a loyal Labour MP which would inform what he would say publicly, but that he would endeavour to not post things that he knew to be untrue.) , but I don't think he has been ramping or campaigning on here.

He's also quite willing to get into the statistical side of things, which I like.

I recall Stewart Jackson was more keen to get into the partisan back and forth, which PB.com isn't really the best venue.

Both are informative, and, more importantly, polite. Neither villifies those who do not agree with them.
    That this is effective politics - Nick has previously said that you don't persuade anyone to agree with you by abusing you - takes nothing away from it's laudability on a site such as this.
    I've noticed that since I stepped back from the front line, the more aggressive comments towards me have eased off. I sort of miss them.
    Where's SeanT when you need him?
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You what?

Shakespeare and Star Trek, it was like snorting coke of a hooker's tits for me awesome for me.

I might do a thread on it, Jeremy Corbyn = General Chang.

The best ever battles in the history of Star Trek belongs to DS9, in The Sacrifice of Angels and The Second Battle of Chin'toka.
    I had to google but I remember it, rewatched it not long ago on Netflix just couldn't remember the ep title. I liked most of the Dominion wars plots (Garak was sooo not a Star Trek character and I loved him as a result) but the battles were a little off, these were mainly capital ships and they fought like smaller vessels. Just a pet peeve.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There are a very large number. Keswick, for example. But usually they are there becuase their old catchment area is so vast/inaccessible it is not possible for children to make daily commutes to it. I don't quite think that is the case in Newport.
    Tends to be focused in rural areas yes, interesting there are a few of them about
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If they can hold all four they do have, that's something. (Exeter and the people's Bristolian Republic - Exeter has bucked the trend enough I'd say Bradshaw will win, and while the Greens and LDs might hope to pinch one of the Bristol seats, I think only Bristol East seems truly vulnerable, but even then Corbyn is an asset in the city).
    Though Bradshaw is even issuing his own personal manifesto, essentially refusing to mention Corbyn at all
  • Options

Are you on twitter?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Tends to be focused in rural areas yes, interesting there are a few of them about
    I think Royal Wolverhampton still takes boarders as well even though it is technically now a state school. There is more than a suggestion that this is to have the best of both worlds!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Jeremy Corbyn's core campaign team of dedicated activists, Momentum, has been diverting campaigners away from the marginal seats of some of his most vocal critics, including Wes Streeting and Neil Coyle.

The hard-left group created a marginal map, launched last Thursday, in which voters type in their postcodes and are directed to their 'nearest marginal'.

The Telegraph checked postcodes in the marginal seats to see whether they were included on the map.

However, voters in the seats of 36 out of the 50 former Labour MPs with the lowest majorities, when the Telegraph checked, were directed to other constituencies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/jeremy-corbyns-campaign-group-directs-activists-away-key-marginal/

Am I naive to wonder if they think they've lost in these anyway?
  • Options

Harrow West should be attempted to be defended going off of London swings though ?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Must confess I had the same thought. I also have a tendency to disbelieve the Telegraph on general principles these days. However, it might be a smoking gun if it turned out those Corbynistas with marginal seats are still being supported.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Edinburgh South is certainly not a lost cause for Labour.
    I'd rather they sent Scottish troops to East Lothian though..
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2017
    chestnut said:

Makes perfect sense - there's no point wasting resources in seats they're going to lose by 5k+.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

Edinburgh South is certainly not a lost cause for Labour.

or the SNP !
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

@CycleFree

"...It is one reason why I am contemplating a serious career change.

In the end, you can only beat your head against a brick wall for so long before you decide that there are better things to do with your life - and head."

Are you still pondering, Mrs. Free? Is there anything to really ponder about? You children are grown up, so what is stopping you doing what you want to do? Is it money? It was for me when I was thinking about bailing out of the public sector do do what I really wanted to do. In the end I just went for it and hang the financial security. There are a lot more important things in life, like enjoying it, we only get one crack at it and there isn't much to be said for being a financially secure corpse.

I know that there are at least three others who regularly post on this site who have made similar life changing decisions and all of us seem to have done OK. Financially at the very least we have all kept the lupine pest from lolling around on the front doorstep and I think we have all been much happier doing what we wanted to do.

Dear Mr Llama: you are a very wise fellow.

I have in fact made my decision. But I am in the process of deciding precisely how I move to what I want to do and so it feels as if the decision-making hasn't yet been completed.

I don't suppose I will starve (and I have rainy day funds for just this purpose) but those to whom I've spoken say that the greater risk is that I will end up taking too much on (as I'm inclined to do by nature) and end up busier than ever. So I need to guard against that as I really want my remaining decades to be enjoyable and healthy.

I will miss my team though. They are jewels more precious than rubies and having built a really first-class team, the best in its class in the City, it does feel like a wrench. The work is one thing. But persuading people to put their trust in you and building a team and giving them interesting work and watching them develop and grow and fulfill their potential is the one thing I am immensely proud of. It is a great privilege. We are so focused on systems these days that we forget that, in the end, human beings are what matter. We are not simply economic units.

But as the Eldest Son put it to me: "You have created one job and team. You can go off now and create another."

So that is what I will do. But I will also have a good and relaxing summer in the Lakes I hope followed by three weeks in Canada celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary to help me refocus my life.

But I will also admit to being a bit apprehensive. Like standing on the edge of the water wondering what it will be like to jump in.........

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Gentle encouragement!

The Conservatives are odds on favs in Dagenham, once the biggest council estate in Europe... nothing makes sense anymore
    That's a seat to watch. If TM's poll lead slips back among C2DE's, lump on lab here.

Also UKIP seem to be quite well organised locally, which may save him.

He has a fairly solid core of ~17k voters going back to 2001. It hasn't decayed like in many of labs ex-industrial northern seats.

Finally, Cruddas *is* blue labour. If any labour MP can counter the ex-Lab>UKIP>con surge, it's him. Theresa May has nicked his script.
This discussion has been closed.