Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – Labour’s election gift to Mrs. May and the Tor

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Her line is this:-

1. Nominating Corbyn was a mistake.
    2. He will be gone after the election.
    3. Cooper, Starmer or Jarvis will be the likely candidates.
    4. May will win.
    5. Important that she does not get such an enormous win that there is no effective opposition.
    6. If Hampstead remains Labour she, Tulip, will be one of the MPs providing such opposition, particularly in relation to Brexit.
    7. I should think of the seat rather than Corbyn.

She really said all that? Admirably frank. Even though like you, I'd not be able to vote for herr given the circumstances.
    She did indeed. I put her on the spot. I am a fearsome interrogator. And fair play to her. She didn't bullshit me in return. I liked her more than I expected to. I told her that I felt a bit sorry for her and others like her because they were in effect asking the electorate for a pity fuck. (And yes I said just that.) And she laughed.

There will, sadly, be a lot of good MPs who will lose their jobs because of the clots at the top. I will be sorry if Norman Lamb loses his seat, for instance, just as I was sorry that Ed Davey lost his. But Labour MPs have collectively behaved like a bunch of scared nitwits, willing to wound, afraid to strike. The hard left is ruthless. They should have been even more ruthless. They weren't and will now pay the price.

This is life. Sadly. And it doesn't just happen in politics. The ability of those at the top to fuck things up royally is a sight to behold. It is one reason why I am contemplating a serious career change.

In the end, you can only beat your head against a brick wall for so long before you decide that there are better things to do with your life - and head.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    surbiton said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT (and thanks to @Peter the Punter for your comments):-

Some thoughts on Hampstead and Kilburn.

Tulip Siddiq was canvassing in my street last week. She came across as engaging and feisty and rather fun. I was impressed by her willingness to debate with me (and others in my household). Were it not for the Corbyn factor - and based on my impressions of her (and what I know of what she has done as an MP) - I might even be tempted to vote for her. I would not be heartbroken if she remained as my MP.

4. May will win.
    5. Important that she does not get such an enormous win that there is no effective opposition.
    6. If Hampstead remains Labour she, Tulip, will be one of the MPs providing such opposition, particularly in relation to Brexit.

I can understand her strategy. It makes sense for her - and it may succeed, though it will be tight.

But - and it is a very big but indeed - every vote for Labour will be taken by Corbyn as a vote for him and will make it less likely that he will go.

So 2. won't happen. And if it does (or even if it doesn't) Labour have proved inept at no. 6.

I simply do not want to risk Corbyn using votes for Labour (even if they are given in spite of him rather than because of him) as a reason for him to stay in power and continue his destruction of the Labour party. So much as I liked Tulip and admired her willingness to fight for her seat (in all the time Glenda Jackson was MP I never sight nor sound of her) I simply cannot bring myself to vote for a Labour party which, collectively, has lost its moral compass - sad as that is for the decent people (and there are some - even though some of them have shown all the toughness of marshmallows) in it.

Corbyn and his particular brand of illiberal leftist politics need to be crushed. This is no time for sentimentality just because Corbyn speaks softly, makes jam and likes gardening. Corbynism is a virus which is destroying a once great and fundamentally decent party. That is a shame for us all, regardless of whether or not we support it.

In fact, as I keep repeating, Labour's canvassing should be this:

1. We are NOT going to win.
    2. For the good of democracy, we should not have a landslide
    3. How have I done personally as your MP ?

Tulip's arguments are very cogent.
    She'll have pissed off the Momentum mob, but maybe that doesn't matter.

I expect most of her vote comes from the Kilburn end of constituency where they wouldn't be likely to set foot. It's a bit rough down there. In some parts, you can walk all of twenty yards without finding a coffee shop.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Anyone seen Plato? I share no brief for her politics but she did provide a useful commentary on Eastbourne in 2015. LD's might hope to regain that seat or more likely Lewes next door

Still on the naughty step. Not sure if it is permanent.
    Yes, Plato is now on Morris's blog/twitter account every day with lots of animal photos and stories. I asked her if she wanted to return to PB but got no answer.
    She should stay away.
    I was already banned when Plato was booted. What did she do that was so terrible?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I see that Barron Trump will be going to St Andrews Episcopal school as of next academic year in North Potomac. The next door high school is Winston Churchill ...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Cyclefree said:

Some thoughts on Hampstead and Kilburn.

Tulip Siddiq was canvassing in my street last week. She came across as engaging and feisty and rather fun. I was impressed by her willingness to debate with me (and others in my household). Were it not for the Corbyn factor - and based on my impressions of her (and what I know of what she has done as an MP) - I might even be tempted to vote for her. I would not be heartbroken if she remained as my MP.

4. May will win.

I can understand her strategy. It makes sense for her - and it may succeed, though it will be tight.

But - and it is a very big but indeed - every vote for Labour will be taken by Corbyn as a vote for him and will make it less likely that he will go.

So 2. won't happen. And if it does (or even if it doesn't) Labour have proved inept at no. 6.

I simply do not want to risk Corbyn using votes for Labour (even if they are given in spite of him rather than because of him) as a reason for him to stay in power and continue his destruction of the Labour party. So much as I liked Tulip and admired her willingness to fight for her seat (in all the time Glenda Jackson was MP I never sight nor sound of her) I simply cannot bring myself to vote for a Labour party which, collectively, has lost its moral compass - sad as that is for the decent people (and there are some - even though some of them have shown all the toughness of marshmallows) in it.

Corbyn and his particular brand of illiberal leftist politics need to be crushed. This is no time for sentimentality just because Corbyn speaks softly, makes jam and likes gardening. Corbynism is a virus which is destroying a once great and fundamentally decent party. That is a shame for us all, regardless of whether or not we support it.

Cogent up to a point only. Up to the point when you realize that a vote for a Labour MP is a vote for Corbyn. So Labour MPs will have to be sacrificed in order to get rid of Corbyn.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Anyone seen Plato? I share no brief for her politics but she did provide a useful commentary on Eastbourne in 2015. LD's might hope to regain that seat or more likely Lewes next door

What right-wing tripe did she say to get herself banned?
    Might have called all lefties ugly motherfu****s? I dunno.
    Haha! Us lefties are gorgeous!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    bobajobPB said:

What has Tissue Price ever done to deserve the ludicrously overdone praise on here? I'm sure he is a nice bloke - but so is Nick, yet he and other PBMPs don't receive such sycophantic adulation!

I didn't know Tissue Price was a Tory. Probably because he did not have a view on most matters. If he had, I cannot remember any.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

That Donald Trump would be elected POTUS.

How we all laughed.
    She didn't predict that - she predicted a narrow Hillary victory
    At one point, yes. But you (and others) miss the point.

She refused to join the echo-chamber and she contributed news and opinions from sources that weren't in the Hillary camp. Plato showed us that there were two sides to the election.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

She really said all that? Admirably frank. Even though like you, I'd not be able to vote for herr given the circumstances.
    It is the right strategy for Corbyn-sceptic Lab MPs though, appealing to party and personal loyalty. I pointed out the other day that which @Cyclefree also suggested was quite obvious - i.e. that enough votes for Labour would simply be taken as an endorsement of Corbyn, and allow him and his tendency to continue to flourish, however appalling the loss of seats. But I was swiftly, and probably correctly, reminded that most voters don't spend hours sat around talking politics like us, and that their analysis probably doesn't, therefore, run very deep.

If Labour MPs ask wavering supporters to back them for the sake of loyalty and/or to stop Theresa May having a gigantic majority, then it is possible that a lot of them will come back into the fold even though they might also loathe Corbyn and want him gone. The notion that their well-meaning support might be twisted into a vote of confidence in the man is something for further down the line after the election, and they may well not realise that this is a possibility until it happens. By which time, of course, it's too late.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

bobajobPB said:

What has Tissue Price ever done to deserve the ludicrously overdone praise on here? I'm sure he is a nice bloke - but so is Nick, yet he and other PBMPs don't receive such sycophantic adulation!

Perhaps I can answer because I know and like them both.

TP first established his reputation on PB as a highly knowledgeable punter. I think he developed an interest in becoming an MP only fairly recently and even then he didn't become particularly political in his posts.

Nick has always been more political although he too is a shrewd punter. I think he was an MP when he first started posting here.

In short, I think it's Nick's more 'political' presence here that singles him out for more robust (and occasionally rude) treatment.

I was tempted to conclude that perhaps Labour representatives here get a rougher ride generally, but I recall Stewart Jackson MP used to attract a lot of flak when he was a regular poster here so I don't think the rule holds universally.

That help?
    I don't find Nick to be especially partisan. I think he posted after the 2010 election that there were things that he knew from canvassing but wasn't at liberty to say publicly (and he did caveat his postings by saying he was a loyal Labour MP which would inform what he would say publicly, but that he would endeavour to not post things that he knew to be untrue.) , but I don't think he has been ramping or campaigning on here.

He's also quite willing to get into the statistical side of things, which I like.

I recall Stewart Jackson was more keen to get into the partisan back and forth, which PB.com isn't really the best venue.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Macron says he is not in favour of Eurozone debt mutualisation for any past debts. First diplomatic victory for Merkel?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

I didn't know Tissue Price was a Tory. Probably because he did not have a view on most matters. If he had, I cannot remember any.

Difference between having a view and stating a view.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,402
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

She did indeed. I put her on the spot. I am a fearsome interrogator. And fair play to her. She didn't bullshit me in return. I liked her more than I expected to. I told her that I felt a bit sorry for her and others like her because they were in effect asking the electorate for a pity fuck. (And yes I said just that.) And she laughed.

There will, sadly, be a lot of good MPs who will lose their jobs because of the clots at the top. I will be sorry if Norman Lamb loses his seat, for instance, just as I was sorry that Ed Davey lost his. But Labour MPs have collectively behaved like a bunch of scared nitwits, willing to wound, afraid to strike. The hard left is ruthless. They should have been even more ruthless. They weren't and will now pay the price.

This is life. Sadly. And it doesn't just happen in politics. The ability of those at the top to fuck things up royally is a sight to behold. It is one reason why I am contemplating a serious career change.

In the end, you can only beat your head against a brick wall for so long before you decide that there are better things to do with your life - and head.

I have much the same problem here in Cannock Chase. Paul Dadge is a great candidate. He's a small business owner, a hero of 7/7, a nice guy, a local, every box ticked. I'd have voted for him two years ago (heck, if I could vote for them when they put forward the abject Janos Toth...).

But I am not going to vote for a party led by a man who hangs out with Holocaust Deniers, supports terrorists and has awkward questions to answer about his role in the Islington paedophilia scandal.

I hope he fights the seat next time as well, but that's as far as I'll go.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    RobC said:

I am from Eastbourne and my family still live there. They aren't especially political, but have been disappointed by the Tory incumbent. Meanwhile the former Lib Dem MP has carried on working hard and the joke is that he'll turn up for the opening of a fridge. I'd think they are in with a chance - though as the Eastbourne Herald has claimed Theresa May as a local girl that might help the Conservative.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Yes, Plato is now on Morris's blog/twitter account every day with lots of animal photos and stories. I asked her if she wanted to return to PB but got no answer.
    She should stay away.
    I was already banned when Plato was booted. What did she do that was so terrible?
    I think it was the continual linkages to alt-right fake news sites that did it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE getting a bit excited.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

It is the right strategy for Corbyn-sceptic Lab MPs though, appealing to party and personal loyalty. I pointed out the other day that which @Cyclefree also suggested was quite obvious - i.e. that enough votes for Labour would simply be taken as an endorsement of Corbyn, and allow him and his tendency to continue to flourish, however appalling the loss of seats. But I was swiftly, and probably correctly, reminded that most voters don't spend hours sat around talking politics like us, and that their analysis probably doesn't, therefore, run very deep.

If Labour MPs ask wavering supporters to back them for the sake of loyalty and/or to stop Theresa May having a gigantic majority, then it is possible that a lot of them will come back into the fold even though they might also loathe Corbyn and want him gone. The notion that their well-meaning support might be twisted into a vote of confidence in the man is something for further down the line after the election, and they may well not realise that this is a possibility until it happens. By which time, of course, it's too late.
    Indeed. And I would not be surprised if Labour get a higher vote than we might expect precisely because of this. All it will mean is that Labour - as a decent left of centre party rather than a combination of the SWP/Respect - dies completely.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,271
    bobajobPB said:

'Are you thinking what we're thinking?'
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

surbiton said:

Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

Cogent up to a point only. Up to the point when you realize that a vote for a Labour MP is a vote for Corbyn. So Labour MPs will have to be sacrificed in order to get rid of Corbyn.

Believe me, Corbyn will be out or there will be a new grouping in the HoC , which immediately will become the Official Opposition.

As Rentoul says, a Corbyn loyalist will not be able to get a nomination anyway. If Corbyn stands, he will lose the members vote. One on one, in the second or third round, he will not get 50% of the votes against Yvette or Kier.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    GeoffM said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

How we all laughed.

She refused to join the echo-chamber and she contributed news and opinions from sources that weren't in the Hillary camp. Plato showed us that there were two sides to the election.
    It would be a shame if people who didn't join in the echo chamber were dismissed as broken-brained meth-heads, wouldn't it?
  • Options

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

TSE getting a bit excited.
    I am shocked. :o
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    PaulM said:

bobajobPB said:

TP first established his reputation on PB as a highly knowledgeable punter. I think he developed an interest in becoming an MP only fairly recently and even then he didn't become particularly political in his posts.

Nick has always been more political although he too is a shrewd punter. I think he was an MP when he first started posting here.

In short, I think it's Nick's more 'political' presence here that singles him out for more robust (and occasionally rude) treatment.

I was tempted to conclude that perhaps Labour representatives here get a rougher ride generally, but I recall Stewart Jackson MP used to attract a lot of flak when he was a regular poster here so I don't think the rule holds universally.

That help?
    I don't find Nick to be especially partisan. I think he posted after the 2010 election that there were things that he knew from canvassing but wasn't at liberty to say publicly (and he did caveat his postings by saying he was a loyal Labour MP which would inform what he would say publicly, but that he would endeavour to not post things that he knew to be untrue.) , but I don't think he has been ramping or campaigning on here.

He's also quite willing to get into the statistical side of things, which I like.

I recall Stewart Jackson was more keen to get into the partisan back and forth, which PB.com isn't really the best venue.
    I think complete radio silence is the only realistic option if the alternative is an undertaking to "endeavour" not to post falsehoods.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    My personal view [ it is not my website ] is that views from the Right to the Left should be accommodated. But not the extreme Right or the extreme Left. So no alt-Right and no SWP types.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

How we all laughed.

It would be a shame if people who didn't join in the echo chamber were dismissed as broken-brained meth-heads, wouldn't it?
    Yep. That'd be a shame.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GeoffM said:

bobajobPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

How we all laughed.

Plato gave Trump a 60 per cent chance of victory when I asked her in the final week, so she can claim that as a win.

But 99 per cent of what she posted here was fake news, and most of it obviously fake. So obvious that she cannot actually have looked at it -- she was just copying and pasting from Twitter, so far as I could make out. I certainly wasted a lot of time watching dodgy Youtube videos and reading alt-right sites she linked to.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

She did indeed. I put her on the spot. I am a fearsome interrogator
    I can well imagine- all MPs need to be prepared to face a Cyclefree when out on the campaign trail, it would make many situations as an MP much easier.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

PaulM said:

bobajobPB said:

That help?

I think complete radio silence is the only realistic option if the alternative is an undertaking to "endeavour" not to post falsehoods.
    Probably a poor choice of words from me
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,271
    MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    She was one of the Tory £3ers for Corbyn.
    Presumably all the pious PB Tories saying what a disaster a Corbyn-led Labour is for UK democracy would think her banishment condign.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed Carlotta's absence ? Normally she is not off for so long.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Might have called all lefties ugly motherfu****s? I dunno.
    Haha! Us lefties are gorgeous!
    That's why they will always still be with us.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    My personal view [ it is not my website ] is that views from the Right to the Left should be accommodated. But not the extreme Right or the extreme Left. So no alt-Right and no SWP types.
    Actually I thought her linkages to the alt-right websites during the Trump campaign were useful in illuminating his tactics and giving a different perspective. It was her continued linkages after he was elected in order to support his fake news agenda that grated.
  • Options

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Presumably all the pious PB Tories saying what a disaster a Corbyn-led Labour is for UK democracy would think her banishment condign.
    I personally regard that as the best £3 I've ever spent. Ever.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    May busy eating into Labour's swing seats. Corbyn staying away from them. BBC try to work out reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39927866
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Hers was an interesting journey from Blairite, to floating voter, to Tory member, to alt-right.

I imagine she'll pop us as a Momentumite next.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Gobble Gabble...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler.

He's been a great sounding board for me when I edit PB during Mike's holidays.

I know for damn sure I've made a lot of money following his advice and tips.

I've gotten to know him a lot in the past couple of years, and I consider him a friend.

As for Nick, I met him two days before GE2015 and wished him the best of luck, and I was also chuffed when he was readopted in 2013.

He's also been a useful poster, whilst I understand what MPs/candidates are constrained by what they can say on websites,

It would be great for politics if we had more MPs like Aaron, who haven't done professional politics before.

Plus it would be great for PB if we had another MP on the board.
  • Options

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Hers was an interesting journey from Blairite, to floating voter, to Tory member, to alt-right.

To be honest, I don't believe the Blairite to floating voter bit. I also think she was a reluctant Tory. She voted Tory because there was very little choice.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    ydoethur said:
    The turret looks a little high sided, could it be mobile artillery?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

I've gotten to know him a lot in the past couple of years, and I consider him a friend.

As for Nick, I met him two days before GE2015 and wished him the best of luck, and I was also chuffed when he was readopted in 2013.

It would be great for politics if we had more MPs like Aaron, who haven't done professional politics before.

"Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler." - If he wins, I hope he is not in the Public Accounts Committee.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Does that mean we should ban Corbyn supporters?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

May busy eating into Labour's swing seats. Corbyn staying away from them. BBC try to work out reasons.

They're overthinking this.

He's visiting marginal Conservative seats he can't possibly win to show willing.

He's visiting safe Labour seats he can't possibly lose to keep him out of the way.

When he starts visiting Labour marginals, that's when Labour's back in the game.

Or not. Who could forget John O'Farrell's wonderfully bitter description of the 1983 Labour battlebus: 'this was a secret weapon that toured the marginal seats, helping to turn them into Conservative strongholds.'
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    ydoethur said:
    Abbot self propelled gun.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Ishmael_Z said:

PaulM said:

bobajobPB said:

That help?

Probably a poor choice of words from me
    Well... post-2015 he conceded that he had a policy which tended to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative (more precisely, that he dramatically cut down reports in the final week when it was clear things were less than rosy). Understandable, but a good argument for saying nowt at any stage.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyan said:

No, people have had 44 years of being in the EU. They know how it works.

Sadly, many don't. Many haven't got a clue about the difference between the European parliament and the Commission. And most view the EU as always having been a foreign power separate from Britain, charging huge fees to impose unwanted rules. They will give you a blank look if you try to explain that the acquis was incorporated into British law post-referendum result, meaning that if it was straight cucumbers before then it will be straight cucumbers outside the union too. I have even met people who think Britain has already left the EU.
    I would give you a blank look if you tried to explain that the acquis was incorporated into British law post-referendum result. The ghastly truth about democracy is that thick proles vote and the only way to mitigate that fact is by reasoning with them, in terms they understand, beforehand, not sneering at them on niche websites a year later. Do a lot of canvassing last June?
    OK, I should have said that the government has promised to introduce a Great Reform Bill to incorporate the acquis. I wasn't sneering, and I've never done any canvassing. I talk to people, though, and ISTM that most people are largely unfamiliar with how the EU works. They are of course very familiar with the fact that membership means that Poles, Lithuanians, Romanians and Bulgarians can come here and don't have to apply for work permits.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.

To be honest, I don't believe the Blairite to floating voter bit. I also think she was a reluctant Tory. She voted Tory because there was very little choice.
    She was a card-carrying member of the Conservative Party.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Aren't they suffering enough right now? If they can't even vent at the rest of us they might explode.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    No. Corbyn was always a member of the Labour party, even though at the fringes. Each party has about 20-25 of these mavericks [ I am choosing my words carefully ]. There were also MPs in John Major's time who were at the other end but they were proper Conservatives.
    The only exception I would make would probably be Harvey Proctor.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2017
    Cyclefree said:

Indeed. And I would not be surprised if Labour get a higher vote than we might expect precisely because of this. All it will mean is that Labour - as a decent left of centre party rather than a combination of the SWP/Respect - dies completely.

An increasingly probable scenario. I think the conflict within the Labour Party is likely to play out as follows:

1. The current situation indicated by most of the polls is wrong: Labour will not poll 30%+. But nor will it collapse. The ICM data, which generally puts it somewhere in the neighbourhood of Michael Foot territory, is nearer the mark. Labour could conceivably do slightly worse than Foot, but if so it won't be by very much. It still has too many tribally loyal voters left, in addition to remaining core voter groups like the very young, the very poor, public sector workers, Muslim voters, upper middle-class faux Marxists and genuine Far Left sympathisers, all of whom find at least parts of the Corbynite platform very appealing. I expect Labour to finish short of 200 seats, but not to be totally routed.

2. The majority of the party membership are Corbyn enthusiasts, and at least a large part of them are oblivious to the mood of the country and convinced that their man is on the verge of sweeping to power. When they are disabused of this notion, they will be crestfallen, and about five minutes later incandescent with thwarted, frustrated, bitter rage. The three likely targets of said rage will be (1) ungrateful, selfish and stupid voters, (2) the dreaded MSM, and (3) Blairites (i.e. everybody in the Labour Movement deemed insufficiently loyal to the leader, including the bulk of the PLP.) Most of all, it'll be the Blairites who cop the flak, and get the blame (because, for the Far Left, everybody is to blame for their failures except they themselves.)

3. Therefore, the notion that the Labour Party mass membership will meekly accept the verdict of the ballot box is for the birds. If the Corbynites lack the numbers to nominate a successor, Jeremy will fight whatever challengers the PLP manages to put up and wipe the floor with them. Labour will probably then split, with SDP Mk.2 having the bulk of the MPs but Rump Labour retaining much of the surviving Labour core vote. Under those circumstances, it doesn't, of course, matter at all if the two rival parties put together poll 35% or even 40%; unless SDP Mk.2 can somehow kill Rump Labour quickly, then they'll be so busy scratching each others' eyes out for years on end that the Conservatives will have carte blanche to do whatever they please during the coming Parliament, and then wipe most of SDP Mk.2 out at the General Election after next.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Aren't they suffering enough right now? If they can't even vent at the rest of us they might explode.
    There aren't too many Corbynistas here.
  • Options
    augustus_carpaugustus_carp Posts: 224

bobajobPB said:

That help?
    I am old enough to remember RikW, the Tory candidate for Sutton & Cheam in the '05 Election. Appalling partisan ramper with no sense of humour whatsoever.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Any polls this evening?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

"Because first and foremost he's a top tipster and gambler." - If he wins, I hope he is not in the Public Accounts Committee.
    Let's all hope he gets onto the Gambling Commission and makes them do something about the iniquitous way Bookmakers close the accounts of successful punters.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    dr_spyn said:

Well, Labour have claimed that they've thrown away the rule book. Interesting to see how their non-standard approach works out.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

That help?
    I am old enough to remember RikW, the Tory candidate for Sutton & Cheam in the '05 Election. Appalling partisan ramper with no sense of humour whatsoever.
    Your memory is better than mine, young Carp.

Yes, it all comes back to me now. He used to get a fairly torrid time though, didn't he?

Deserved it, of course.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    PaulM said:

bobajobPB said:

That help?

Both are informative, and, more importantly, polite. Neither villifies those who do not agree with them.
    That this is effective politics - Nick has previously said that you don't persuade anyone to agree with you by abusing you - takes nothing away from it's laudability on a site such as this.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    With the papers' covering his apparent weakness for the IRA (etc) JC's goose is overcooked with ordinary workers. I hope that local MPs who don't support him will be returned. Then, will a Phoenix arise from the ashes? Ed Balls or Yvette Cooper or....? David Miliband would be a very bad choice; plainly he's not tough enough.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

PaulM said:

bobajobPB said:

That help?

Nick has previously said that you don't persuade anyone to agree with you by abusing you .
    Certainly true, although also certainly true that most political discourse is not done to persuade.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Some former Corbynistas, surely?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited May 2017
    Funny, when I was likely to stand for Parliament, I was told I might get sued by Jim Messina for linking to Mark Pack's website! Bankrupts cant MP's they told me!

Gentle encouragement!

Mind you, I didn't really have any chance of winning so it didnt matter anyway
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

That help?
    Good grief was that really 12 years ago ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

An increasingly probable scenario. I think the conflict within the Labour Party is likely to play out as follows:

1. The current situation ..........

2. The majority of the party membership are Corbyn enthusiasts, ............

3. Therefore, the notion that the Labour Party mass membership will meekly accept the verdict of the ballot box is for the birds. If the Corbynites lack the numbers to nominate a successor, Jeremy will fight whatever challengers the PLP manages to put up and wipe the floor with them. Labour will probably then split, with SDP Mk.2 having the bulk of the MPs but Rump Labour retaining much of the surviving Labour core vote. Under those circumstances, it doesn't, of course, matter at all if the two rival parties put together poll 35% or even 40%; unless SDP Mk.2 can somehow kill Rump Labour quickly, then they'll be so busy scratching each others' eyes out for years on end that the Conservatives will have carte blanche to do whatever they please during the coming Parliament, and then wipe most of SDP Mk.2 out at the General Election after next.
    I disagree with you. I am not going to rebut your points line by line but I will answer your point #3.

In 1983, very few MPs actually defected. Only 26 if I recall. The party as a whole and its MPs stayed loyal.

The SDP/Libs did not get enough seats to make an impact. In fact, Labour still elected 209 MPs including Scotland. Ironically, if they achieve, 180-190, they would be doing better in England.

If Corbyn stays [ He will not be able to wipe the floor, believe me ], the new grouping in the HoC, having resigned the Labour whip, becomes the official opposition.

That will be the main difference between 2017/2018 and 1983/1984. Night after night, on TV, people will begin to see sensible left of centre faces opposing the by-then unpopular Tory government. The Liberals will be too small to matter. I think , if the Liberals do not reach 12 seats this time, it may begin to subside gradually.
  • Options
    Jezza interview coming up on ITV1...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?
    I don't know, that's why it was a question. Some people voted for him, and not only PB Tories, I presume.
  • Options

Jezza interview coming up on ITV1...

He's just a poor boy (on £150k a year), nobody loves him..
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I was at a church service yesterday marking the start of Christian Aid week. Included in the material was some phrasing very close to Labour's slogan for this GE.

".... not only for the few .... but for the many...."

Coincidence? I would think this material has been available since well before the GE was called. Maybe someone noted the line & suggested the slogan.

Nevertheless, it was there. Will it sway any votes? Who knows.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @CycleFree

"...It is one reason why I am contemplating a serious career change.

In the end, you can only beat your head against a brick wall for so long before you decide that there are better things to do with your life - and head."

Are you still pondering, Mrs. Free? Is there anything to really ponder about? You children are grown up, so what is stopping you doing what you want to do? Is it money? It was for me when I was thinking about bailing out of the public sector do do what I really wanted to do. In the end I just went for it and hang the financial security. There are a lot more important things in life, like enjoying it, we only get one crack at it and there isn't much to be said for being a financially secure corpse.

I know that there are at least three others who regularly post on this site who have made similar life changing decisions and all of us seem to have done OK. Financially at the very least we have all kept the lupine pest from lolling around on the front doorstep and I think we have all been much happier doing what we wanted to do.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

I was at a church service yesterday marking the start of Christian Aid week. Included in the material was some phrasing very close to Labour's slogan for this GE.

Coincidence? I would think this material has been available since well before the GE was called. Maybe someone noted the line & suggested the slogan.

"not for the few .... but for the many" was also Tony Blair's line in 1997 !
  • Options

1. The current situation indicated by most of the polls is wrong: Labour will not poll 30%+. But nor will it collapse. The ICM data, which generally puts it somewhere in the neighbourhood of Michael Foot territory, is nearer the mark. Labour could conceivably do slightly worse than Foot, but if so it won't be by very much. It still has too many tribally loyal voters left, in addition to remaining core voter groups like the very young, the very poor, public sector workers, Muslim voters, upper middle-class faux Marxists and genuine Far Left sympathisers, all of whom find at least parts of the Corbynite platform very appealing. I expect Labour to finish short of 200 seats, but not to be totally routed.

2. The majority of the party membership are Corbyn enthusiasts, and at least a large part of them are oblivious to the mood of the country and convinced that their man is on the verge of sweeping to power. When they are disabused of this notion, they will be crestfallen, and about five minutes later incandescent with thwarted, frustrated, bitter rage. The three likely targets of said rage will be (1) ungrateful, selfish and stupid voters, (2) the dreaded MSM, and (3) Blairites (i.e. everybody in the Labour Movement deemed insufficiently loyal to the leader, including the bulk of the PLP.) Most of all, it'll be the Blairites who cop the flak, and get the blame (because, for the Far Left, everybody is to blame for their failures except they themselves.)

Under 2. you omitted the fact that the system is rigged.

Do we have any feel for the membership of the much-diminished PLP after the election as between Corbynistas and normal people - does that division map onto marginality/safety of seat at all? And what are the chances of the Labour conference implementing the reduction of minimum number of nominations from MPs in leadership elections from 15% to 5%?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Spock also uttered a very similar phrase.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, he certainly had the backing of the many, unlike Corbyn's Labour at least.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    MikeK said:
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?
    I don't know, that's why it was a question. Some people voted for him, and not only PB Tories, I presume.
    I am sure a lot, in fact, a majority including the £3ers. Personally, I am not totally convinced that he would have got 50% in 2015 had it not been for the £3ers.

I was talking about Labour supporters in PB.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?
    I think BJO still supports Corbyn.

I voted for him in 2015, for reasons well documented, but I would never have described myself as a Corbynite.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

They used to say the Church of England was the Tory party at prayer, these days the church leaders are most definitely Corbynites.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?
    I am sure a lot, in fact, a majority including the £3ers. Personally, I am not totally convinced that he would have got 50% in 2015 had it not been for the £3ers.

I thought he received the majority in all blocks of the party, both £3ers and full members?
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite so, he was a font of wisdom - from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs was one of his too, I'm sure of it.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?

So was I - did none vote for Corbyn either time? It's not a trick question, I don't know, though I feel like someone at least must have if only once.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Quite so, he was a font of wisdom - from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs was one of his too, I'm sure of it.
    Similarly, Chancellor Palpatine has some good quotes on security and stability... :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?

I thought he received the majority in all blocks of the party, both £3ers and full members?
    Wasn't it 47 or 48% of the members ? I could be wrong.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Let's all hope he gets onto the Gambling Commission and makes them do something about the iniquitous way Bookmakers close the accounts of successful punters.
    Sunbets;

"As a courtesy, we wish to inform you that following an account review, we are no longer able to offer you access to certain enhanced odds and promotional offers. As you may be aware, this is usual practice in our industry."

My crime? Attempting to bet on out-of-line odds.

Bet was rejected, odds slashed, email received.

I've never won a bet with them.

"this is usual practice in our industry"

pft.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Tough on Klingons, tough on the causes of Klingons.
  • Options

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

MikeK said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Like who ?
    I think BJO still supports Corbyn.

I voted for him in 2015, for reasons well documented, but I would never have described myself as a Corbynite.
    Certainly not a true believer.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Oh, was it? Very interesting.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Did your church service mention a man with a beard and the initials JC?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Similarly, Chancellor Palpatine has some good quotes on security and stability... :smiley:
    He's my idol.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Tough on Klingons, tough on the causes of Klingons.
    Like Shakespeare, that slogan is best in the original Klingon ;)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    This ITV programme won't help Corbyn.

Reinforces big picture overwhelmingly - he doesn't look like a PM.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

The case isn't comparable. Joshua bar Joseph called the Christ wore sandals.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Pong said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Sunbets;

"As a courtesy, we wish to inform you that following an account review, we are no longer able to offer you access to certain enhanced odds and promotional offers. As you may be aware, this is usual practice in our industry."

pft.
    What do successful punters do about this? I've spent a few months gambling now - I've had one account closed, and six or seven others not taking bets above £10 or so. I'm not a major player by any means. Presumably major gamblers run out of bookies very quickly?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited May 2017
    Pong said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

Sunbets;

pft.
    You don't have to be a Hypocritical Coward to be a Bookmaker... but it helps

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html
  • Options
    MikeL said:

This ITV programme won't help Corbyn.

Reinforces big picture overwhelmingly - he doesn't look like a PM.

Was anybody thinking he was going to be one ?
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

Didn't Kirk ask him (in Wrath of Khan) how each of the trainees will do under pressure and he said something like; "like as with all things, each according to his gifts"?
This discussion has been closed.