Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Local election debrief, Gene

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Local election debrief, General Election forecasting & public opinion on a Tory landslide

On this week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast Keiran is joined by Steve Fisher from Oxford University. Steve runs the elections website https://electionsetc.com/ and is part of the team that produces the General Election exit poll.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    FPT: Mr. Divvie, that works the other way, too. The SNP can't insist May was saying 'nationalist' with a capital N.

On-topic: was actually listening to this before the new thread started.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    First once I've deleted all the previous comments

Really enjoyed this podcast.

IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST HEAR
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Steve Fisher joins the discussion - surely that's a feather in Keiran's cap.
  • Options
    Hmm. There's a guide to BBC electoral programmes here: https://twitter.com/RobbieGibb/status/862343098264940545

But I wonder. The QT special, I believe, is in York. Does that apply to the Farron-Sturgeon one too?

• Options

Steve Fisher joins the discussion - surely that's a feather in Keiran's cap.

It gets even better, I'm doing one of the podcasts soon.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Hmm. There's a guide to BBC electoral programmes here: https://twitter.com/RobbieGibb/status/862343098264940545

But I wonder. The QT special, I believe, is in York. Does that apply to the Farron-Sturgeon one too?

Lib Dems + SNP 2015 Votes <UKIP 2015 Votes

We've been topped and tailed!
  • Options

Hmm. There's a guide to BBC electoral programmes here: twitter.com/RobbieGibb/status/862343098264940545

I recall that one is in Scotland.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    FPT. Topping, re. Rupa Huq and Corbyn:

She's certainly done everything she can to disassociate herself from him since, including ignoring his 3 line whip on the Article 50 vote.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

Hmm. There's a guide to BBC electoral programmes here: twitter.com/RobbieGibb/status/862343098264940545

Lib Dems + SNP 2015 Votes "<" UKIP 2015 Votes

We've been topped and tailed!</p>
    Only one MP though... :p
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Mr. Isam, it is an interesting problem as to how coverage for minor parties works.

It's not perfect, but I'd be inclined to operate on the basis of the previous election, just because it's least susceptible to bias even if it would lead to some quirky coverage results.

Edited extra bit: Mr. D, that would perhaps make more sense.

Edited extra bit: cheers, Mr. L (above).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited May 2017

No. Farron / Sturgeon is in Edinburgh I think.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer - all your replies should now be edited onto that one post :p
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    MikeL said:

No. Farron / Sturgeon is in Edinburgh I think.
    Is Nicola Sturgeon actually standing in this election?
  • Options
    Corbyn is just a gift to the Tories and Sir Lynton.

How many jobs would this cost?

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/862355961020899328
  • Options

IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST HEAR

So I take it there's no thread dedicated to the prison break of the TORY 30?

Don't get me wrong - this is far from a space filling article. But I bet Mike had a joy laden thread lined up about how 30 arrests were about to accelerate the already completely happening LibDem suuurge.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, could play a drinking game, take a shot every time she says 'Scotland' :p
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST HEAR

Don't get me wrong - this is far from a space filling article. But I bet Mike had a joy laden thread lined up about how 30 arrests were about to accelerate the already completely happening LibDem suuurge.
    There was nothing uploaded in the server in advance.

I'm sure Mike will be discussing the CPS decision in the next few days.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

FPT. Topping, re. Rupa Huq and Corbyn:

She's certainly done everything she can to disassociate herself from him since, including ignoring his 3 line whip on the Article 50 vote.

She might easily have been winding me up which, as an MP, I'm not sure is OK or not!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited May 2017

Does he think if we stop selling defence hardware to countries he doesn't like, they will just decide to disarm rather than just buy their planes and tanks elsewhere?

Not a clue about the real world and how it works.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

None, the work will be taken up by Venezuela.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Stopping arming the people bombing famine stricken Yemen seems an excellent policy to me.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Which recording of Bruckner's 7th adagio sehr feierlich und sehr langsam. will Jon Snow use?
    Will he have a black ties and armband?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    Are they still unable to join up the dots? September 2015 below.

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Stopping arming the people bombing famine stricken Yemen seems an excellent policy to me.
    So the Germans/French/Russians can instead....Yay.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264

An interesting reversal of a very fine speech, one of the great speeches of the late 20th century indeed.

Kinnock accused Liverpool Labour/Militant of starting with promises you cannot keep, pickling them into a rigid dogma and ending in grotesque chaos.

Corbyn started with grotesque chaos, has pickled that into a rigid dogma and is now providing policies he cannot keep.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

We've been topped and tailed!

What a shame you don't have any MPs though. ;)
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    GeoffM said:

IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST HEAR

We did have a discussion about shooting foxes, which seemed vaguely appropriate.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Stopping arms going to Saudi Arabia and stopping sales going there are two VERY different things.
  • Options

Good point. I agree. As we're the only arms seller in the world this inspired policy will stop all war instantly and forever.
    What's not to like?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

Corbyn = Tory sleeper agent?
  • Options
    Didn't we (or 72.2% of us) collectively disprove the "non-issue" claim by turnout? If you want a non-issue perhaps try AV?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

I'll refer you to "The Whisky Priest".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    I appreciate that Keiran opens talking about how a ‘stonking’ great majority will impact things, and that Steve Fisher introduces himself by revealing where his projections have been less successful, rather than focus on his recent success in the locals, and that it appears he was right in the final outcome, but for the wrong reasons (Tories outperforming LD, rather than LDs losing votes).
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Odd tweet from the Scotsman about a very vociferous Unionist

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/861891826286030849
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    What a dumb graph. Of course it is seen as a more important issue now Brexit is happening, but that 50% people voted for Brexit shows people clearly did care about it, even if it was not the main driver of their concerns previously. The summary is also a transparent attempt to avoid blaming the voters for their decision, even though ultimately it is the voters fault.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    chestnut said:

The demagogues who ran the Leave campaign were paying attention and knew just which buttons to push to drive people into the arms of the Brexit cult.
  • Options
    Just scrabbling for a coherent attack line. WTF does the photograph have to do with the text?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

That's not an unpopular policy.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Have you asked Unite about that?
  • Options
    Tories up massively rather than Labour down significantly the Fisher summary – sounds critical to the GE if repeated – a big loss but no Labour collapse to 150-170 I guess.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2017

I'll refer you to "The Whisky Priest".
    I see the PB arms runners are happy to supply the Islamist dictatorship of KSA with bombs.

Some vicars daughter perhaps should study the Gospels a little more closely.

It is particularly absurd to supply the starving Yemenis with food, and similtaneously supply their oppressors with bombs. Can anyone forsee that ending well?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Such a non-issue it attracted the largest vote in a generation.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Does he think if we stop selling defence hardware to countries he doesn't like, they will just decide to disarm rather than just buy their planes and tanks elsewhere?

Not a clue about the real world and how it works.
    If he thinks that then I agree, but it may be that he knows they will get their planes and tanks elsewhere, but that doesn't mean we should be the ones providing them, even if it costs us jobs.
  • Options

Such a non-issue it attracted the largest vote in a generation.

If we had a referendum on abolishing the monarchy I would guess you'd get a similar turnout. It doesn't mean people see it as an important issue in itself.
  • Options
    Would be interesting to see a graph of where the EU ranked over time.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017

chestnut said:

The demagogues who ran the Leave campaign were paying attention and knew just which buttons to push to drive people into the arms of the Brexit cult.
    The UK opposition spent several years telling everyone that the housing, health and education systems could not cope with demand; that wages were being suppressed and that bosses were profiteering.

It really doesn't take much of a leap of the imagination for people to then ask, "well, why are you letting in hundreds of thousands of people every year if there isn't enough to go round?"

I think the role of the left, especially Labour, in creating the psychological environment for Brexit has been greatly underestimated.

We have a bunch of people among us who have spent years telling everyone that everything is rubbish. The voters took them at their word and have demanded change and now they are sobbing into their frappuccinos.

Remain - overwhelmingly the left and the Blairite faction - really brought this upon themselves by constantly talking the country down in the years preceding the campaign and exaggerating the problems people faced.

• Options
    Apt point from Keiran that politically TMay has no reason to be conciliatory, as taking a hard line on everything has, so far, worked for her politically.

Also correct that LD hopes are being dampened daily.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Apt point from Keiran that politically TMay has no reason to be conciliatory, as taking a hard line on everything has, so far, worked for her politically.

Any Dunny-on-the-Wold by-elections due tomorrow? :smiley:
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Ishmael_Z said:

Just scrabbling for a coherent attack line. WTF does the photograph have to do with the text?
    Oh look! Conservative in large type and on top of a leaflet.
    Not something you see everyday.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    chestnut said:

Remain - overwhelmingly the left and the Blairite faction - really brought this upon themselves by constantly talking the country down and exaggerating the problems people faced.

This gets to the heart of why I am so appalled at what is happening and dismayed by the way it is interpreted by many middle-of-the-road Tories. Too many people view Brexit in terms of a rebellion against the Blair years, and while he was responsible for a lot of mistakes, sabotaging the strategic position of the entire nation just to get your own back for having 'the right's nose rubbed in diversity' is sinking to their level of juvenile politics.

The EU, and our relationship with it, is more important than that and anyone who thinks they've got one over on 'the left' needs to wake up, and remind themselves why it was the Conservatives who always understood that this country needs to be at the heart of Europe.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264
    Somewhat off-topic:

I gather Angela Rayner had a car crash on Labour's education policy today, such as it is. Apparently some confusion over the detail (you would have thought she would have learned her lesson after she was shown up for not knowing most primary schools don't have adequate kitchens).

She has been tipped in the past as a possible future leader along with Rebecca Long Bailey and Cat Smith. I don't know why because they're all pretty unimpressive, but I suppose they are only being compared to Corbyn. Cat Smith will of course lose her seat, so she's out, but I'm wondering about Rayner as well. She sort of held her vote last time, but there was a huge leakage to UKIP masked by the collapse of the large Liberal Democrat vote. If 75% of UKIP switched to Blue plus Lib Dem wanderers returned home, she might just be in trouble - it wouldn't take many abstentions or direct switchers to sink her.

And if she is put out into the firing line like this so local voters see and hear their MP behaving like a innumerate moron - that isn't going to help matters.

In theory Salford and Eccles might be the same, but there the UKIP and Tory combined vote is much further back and there is a substantial Green vote as well. Sadly I think Long-Bailey will survive into the next Parliament.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

An interesting reversal of a very fine speech, one of the great speeches of the late 20th century indeed.

Kinnock accused Liverpool Labour/Militant of starting with promises you cannot keep, pickling them into a rigid dogma and ending in grotesque chaos.

Corbyn started with grotesque chaos, has pickled that into a rigid dogma and is now providing policies he cannot keep.
    ydoethur said:

Superb
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pong said:

This is a big problem for the tories (& especially TM) - when they're attacking Corbyn.

They're in danger of talking themselves too far into the opposite corner, where - after the election - they'll have to defend some very uncomfortable positions.

That low hanging fruit labour are dangling in front of you is poisoned.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pong said:

This is a big problem for the tories (& especially TM) - when they're attacking Corbyn.

They're in danger of talking themselves too far into the opposite corner, where - after the election - they'll have to defend some very uncomfortable positions.

That low hanging fruit labour are dangling in front of you is poisoned.
    They'll be happy to face that challenge, once they have a big majority.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Pong said:

Policies can be popular and still vote losers. It depends on its popularity among people who would let it affect their votes, and particularly those who might actually change their votes as a result of it.
  • Options
    Keiran wonders if fear of a big Tory majority might be the thing to help firm up the Labour vote. Given I can see no other reason for the recent uptick for Labour, I think that's a given.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    And the chances of Tim Farron getting to meet the President of the United States?

Zero.
  • Options
    Well, people thought he might have been in trouble last time and he held on. But of course no Tory tactical votes this time.

As each day passes, it's looking more like LDs 5-9 rather than 10-14
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

The latest polls show the Lib Dems, Greens and UKiP making little or no headway at all it seems. I’ve already written off my LD seat gain bet. – Does appear to be once again a two party race.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well, people thought he might have been in trouble last time and he held on. But of course no Tory tactical votes this time.

My father voted tactically for Clegg last time, he's returning to the blue meanies this time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

And the chances of Tim Farron getting to meet the President of the United States?

Zero.
    Lucky man.
  • Options
    CH4 News. Hahahahahahaha!

STILL don't have a clue that those on the Battle-bus had to pay £50 a day for their own accommodation.... Ditto Salmond.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The UK opposition spent several years telling everyone that the housing, health and education systems could not cope with demand; that wages were being suppressed and that bosses were profiteering.

It really doesn't take much of a leap of the imagination for people to then ask, "well, why are you letting in hundreds of thousands of people every year if there isn't enough to go round?"

I think the role of the left, especially Labour, in creating the psychological environment for Brexit has been greatly underestimated.

We have a bunch of people among us who have spent years telling everyone that everything is rubbish. The voters took them at their word and have demanded change and now they are sobbing into their frappuccinos.

Remain - overwhelmingly the left and the Blairite faction - really brought this upon themselves by constantly talking the country down in the years preceding the campaign and exaggerating the problems people faced.

That.
  • Options
    So far, and with an absence of hatched chickens etc, the campaign against Brexit by the Lib Dems is making their campaign in 2015 against the government that they had been a part of look good.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So far, and with an absence of hatched chickens etc, the campaign against Brexit by the Lib Dems is making their campaign in 2015 against the government that they had been a part of look good.
    Caught too early - if it as a few years from now, with a lot more evidence of things going poorly, maybe. As it is, the message isn't working, or not be enough in the places they need it too, Labour are holding up in the national polls (so the LDs are relying on them being wrong, or Lab being way down in races against them but up elsewhere), and the Tories are gaining more than them.

Half the current LD seats look at risk, some seriously. 10 would be a fortunate result, on current trends.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited May 2017
    Is that v Labour? Only I have a whole £3 on Labour @ 30 for that seat.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kle4 said:

The Conservative vote in Sheffield Hallam is still sinking like a stone . In the 2016 locals in the 5 Hallam wards they polled less than 10% and came 4th behind the Greens
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Conservative vote in Sheffield Hallam is still sinking like a stone . In the 2016 locals in the 5 Hallam wards they polled less than 10% and came 4th behind the Greens
    So Clegg's is safe. They still seem, broadly, to be standing still at best, maybe up a couple. How'd the LD surge in Cornwall go for instance? They did better in other areas, some which they hope to target at a GE, but overall it's at best patchy and at worse pretty bad.
  • Options

Is that v Labour? Only I have a whole £3 on Labour @ 30 for that seat.
    Don't know. I backed the Tories last week.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

kle4 said:

DOTW elections? Are we still talking about those?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think you said the same about Eastleigh or some other seat prior in early 2015 shortly before it went blue.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

kle4 said:

My father voted tactically for Clegg last time, he's returning to the blue meanies this time.
    Good for him
  • Options

CH4 News. Hahahahahahaha!

STILL don't have a clue that those on the Battle-bus had to pay £50 a day for their own accommodation.... Ditto Salmond.

They are still going on about it?
  • Options
    calum said:
    Err, because their bosses told them they needed to 56 for the team?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think you said the same about Eastleigh or some other seat prior in early 2015 shortly before it went blue.
    I dont recall saying that the Lib Dems would not lose a seat to the Conservatives where they polled less than 10% . Which seat was it ?
    The constant ramping and talking up of Conservative prospects in no hope seats held by Labour and Lib Dems is a joy to behold . I hope you have not wasted loads of money backing your ramping ,
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

kle4 said:

So, a bet... what price Sheffield Hallam?

LD's 1.15-3 currently.

• Options
    kle4 said:

They couldn't possibly win as few as five seats surely? ..... That's equivalent to just one London Black Cab full. Martin Day, formerly of this parish, would be laughing his socks off!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

So Clegg's is safe. They still seem, broadly, to be standing still at best, maybe up a couple. How'd the LD surge in Cornwall go for instance? They did better in other areas, some which they hope to target at a GE, but overall it's at best patchy and at worse pretty bad.
    The Lib Dem vote was substantially up in Cornwall as of course was the Conservatives . The clear thing arising is that the Lib Dems should be favourites in North Cornwall not St Ives but DYOR .
  • Options

kle4 said:

They couldn't possibly win as few as five seats surely? ..... That's equivalent to just one London Black Cab full. Martin Day, formerly of this parish, would be laughing his socks off!
    There'd be so much bent-over-double laughter that the Guinness Book of Records would be opening up the rules page for Synchronised Dancing to see if this qualified.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

LD's 1.15-3 currently.

I do not bet on odds as short as those on offer . Seems the bookies have more sense than you .
  • Options

kle4 said:

June 8th - Martin Day
  • Options

kle4 said:

I dont recall saying that the Lib Dems would not lose a seat to the Conservatives where they polled less than 10% . Which seat was it ?
    The constant ramping and talking up of Conservative prospects in no hope seats held by Labour and Lib Dems is a joy to behold . I hope you have not wasted loads of money backing your ramping ,
    Probably the only money I've wasted is backing the Lib Dems to win Vauxhall.

Did you follow me when I advised PBers to buy the Tories at 378?

Now mid price 402!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

LD's 1.15-3 currently.

I do not bet on odds as short as those on offer . Seems the bookies have more sense than you .
    Pull yourself together! I said nothing to insult you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited May 2017
    Someone give me the switch model that sees Clegg in trouble ?!

I don't buy it, however I do think Lamb & Brake & Southport are in serious trouble.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    oooh 2-0 Athleti
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,955
    ydoethur said:

Sorry but this is one policy promise he can and should keep. Selling arms to the country that is doing more to destabilise the Middle East than any other is just fecking stupid. It costs us vast sums in the long run and makes the world a far less safe place.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

LD's 1.15-3 currently.

I backed the Blues at 16/1 last week.

What's happened IMHO in the last few weeks is that Corbyn has come out with policies that have gone down very badly with the good people of Sheffield Hallam.

The tax rise for people over 80k and the mansion tax.

The constituency is one of the wealthiest in the country.

It also has several top bods from the Unis who aren't impressed with Corbynistas in general and I know they voted Lib Dem last time because of Clegg's supporting tuition fees.

I called Hallam right last time, I think Clegg might win, but it ain't the slam dunk people think it is.
This discussion has been closed.