Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At 11am the Crown Prosecution Service announces what it is doi

123457»

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Sporting, the precious darlings, have resumed coverage of their GE markets, with their spread prices unchanged from before.

Well quite, - probably the soundest voice we’ll hear on today’s events.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Just a 2% Labour to Conservative swing in a 60:40 Remain stronghold.

My rough and ready model of differential swing from the other day might not be too bad.

It suggests SW London is more positive for the LDs than most of the PB pundits have been predicting.
    I don't think that's a safe assumption. Inner city London is exactly where I'd expect to see the Lib Dems increasing their vote share. There are a lot of very disgruntled Remain voters in these parts. Moderate and temperate voters like me often get their ears bent by them.
    You may well be right - indeed the Inner/Outer point is one I made yesterday. In which case the pro-LD swing in Inner London must be dramatic (which supports various anecdotal reports from PB'ers and their acquaintances) and good news for Simon Hughes at least.
    Plenty of disgruntled over my dead body Lab voters where I have canvassed who look set to head over to the LDs more as a ABLBNC vote than any other reason.

Edit: Cons remainers, meanwhile, look likely to head over to LDs also as NCBCVLs.
    Anyone but Lionel Blair's Nephew Charlie?

November cricket brings cold vegetarian lunches?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,227
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Was Sturgeon wrong or did Theresa May already know the CPS decision?
    Why would the CPS tell her of a decision three to four weeks before announcing it?
    Yeah, therefore it's quite possible that Tessy in her 'ignorance' factored in possible prosecutions in her GE decision.
    I still don't buy that. Why would she call the election for after the deadline if she was worried about convictions? Surely she would have called it for May 4th.
    'Tessy definitely didn't know in advance how the investigation into electoral fraud would pan out, but that definitely had no bearing on her calling a snap election. Definitely.'

Cake, be warned, you will be possessed and consumed.
    If she didn't know in advance how it would pan out, and it did have bearing, why did she call for the election to be held *after* the deadline?
    It's entirely possible it had no bearing on the decision, but influenced the precise timing, even if May believed that the risk of charges being brought was extremely slim.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,102

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sporting, the precious darlings, have resumed coverage of their GE markets, with their spread prices unchanged from before.

That is rather annoying, I was kinda hoping it would drop ten seats this morning! There's a lot of potential downside buying at 401.
    Should have listened to me.

My tip of the day. Sell the SNP.

There's not much potential downside to that bet.
    You'd sell at 43?
    If push came to shove, yes.
    Well you've got bigger balls than I have!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron says "the Conservative Party driven a battlebus and horses right the way through the spirit of the law"

Almost a funny from Farron ....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    Kate Hoey is THE inner city London bet imo.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    edited May 2017
    JackW said:

The smell of hubris from PB Tories hangs in the air.

If the Conservatives hadn't been incompetent about their dodgy election expenses then Crick wouldn't have had a story. You messed up. He found out and reported upon it.

Happily all those responsible for the 2015 election, Cameron, Osborne and the Chumocracy have been given the sack so we can all breath a sigh of relief! :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron says "the Conservative Party driven a battlebus and horses right the way through the spirit of the law"

He should have been asked, does he consider the Tory Battlebus a sin?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Pulpstar said:

Con 36% (+2), Lab 41% (-2), LibDem 14% (+6), UKIP 6% (-2), Green 3% (-2)

No chance.

Yep - UKIP closer to 2% in London. Tories understated in poll IMHO.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

If the Conservatives hadn't been incompetent about their dodgy election expenses then Crick wouldn't have had a story. You messed up. He found out and reported upon it.

Happily all those responsible for the 2015 election Cameron, Osborne and the Chumocracy have been given the sack so we can all breath a sigh of relief! :smiley:
    Sir Lynton Crosby and Jim Messina say hello.
  • Options

Paul Mason @paulmasonnews
    CPS confirms: UK electoral law unenforcable. While labour movement accounts for every penny, billionaires can buy any election they want

Given the relatively small sums involved, shouldn't that be 'millionaires' ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Scott_P said:

Eric Pickles: n Dec, LibDems were fined £20k for not declaring 307 items of spending; LibDems referred to Met Police for a criminal investigation.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Anorak said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Just a 2% Labour to Conservative swing in a 60:40 Remain stronghold.

My rough and ready model of differential swing from the other day might not be too bad.

It suggests SW London is more positive for the LDs than most of the PB pundits have been predicting.
    I don't think that's a safe assumption. Inner city London is exactly where I'd expect to see the Lib Dems increasing their vote share. There are a lot of very disgruntled Remain voters in these parts. Moderate and temperate voters like me often get their ears bent by them.
    You may well be right - indeed the Inner/Outer point is one I made yesterday. In which case the pro-LD swing in Inner London must be dramatic (which supports various anecdotal reports from PB'ers and their acquaintances) and good news for Simon Hughes at least.
    Plenty of disgruntled over my dead body Lab voters where I have canvassed who look set to head over to the LDs more as a ABLBNC vote than any other reason.

Edit: Cons remainers, meanwhile, look likely to head over to LDs also as NCBCVLs.
    Anyone but Lionel Blair's Nephew Charlie?

November cricket brings cold vegetarian lunches?
    In one!
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    saddo said:

This is a genuine thing. Mayllennial's. Milifandom was just a joke. The Marx brothers at the top of Labour are just a joke. But May is resonating in the most astounding ways

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/the-maylennials-are-young-women-who-love-theresa-may-and?utm_term=.fb7j7y3w8B#.ax09dwzegM

This is interesting, and potentially important. The biggest voting gap the Tories have has historically been young women. If May is attracting them over then the polling for Tories will certainly move in her favour going forwards.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,043
    Betting Post

Must say, for what it's worth, I agree with Mr. Sandpit. Were I a spread bettor, I would not sell the SNP at 43.

Speaking of such things, here's a repost of stuff from yesterday.

F1: to commemorate the excellent and wonderful Verstappen tip last year, I've put a very, very small amount on Perez at 41 and Hulkenberg at 126 respectively to get on the podium. These are slightly silly bets, but do have a modicum of reasoning, besides the anniversary of arguably the greatest fluke tip in the site's history.

Spain is very hard to pass on, and Hulkenberg's been qualifying strongly (I think he started 6th last time). If there's trouble ahead, he could stand to benefit ahead of many others. Perez, if tyre degradation is excessive, is very good at managing them and drives well on tight circuits.

A slightly more serious bet to consider is Raikkonen each way at 13 for the win. He drove very well last time (had the pace for pole but screwed it up) and last year was better than Vettel in every session of Spain.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_P said:

So, if you don't want to look a hypocrite you'll be paying back that £2.4m from Michael Brown then eh Tim? If you want to claim that spirit of the law moral high-ground.

The Liberal Democrats. Smug, hypocritical bastards since....forever.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited May 2017
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Eric Pickles: n Dec, LibDems were fined £20k for not declaring 307 items of spending; LibDems referred to Met Police for a criminal investigation.

Paging Mark Pack.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Haven't other parties too?

@EricPickles: In Dec, LibDems were fined £20k for not declaring 307 items of spending; LibDems referred to Met Police for a criminal investigation.
    Yep, all parties have been fined by the EC for their sloppy accounting. The Commission needs to clarify the rules urgently to avoid the same mistakes again. It would be sensible to have EC lawyers on a duty rota to handle and clarify enquiries from parties during the campaign, rather than end up with the police and CPS dealing with it two years later.
  • Options
    I do hope that this case at least makes people file their expenses properly. If nothing else, that will deaden the false hopes of people who can't possibly hope to win elections without the other side being disqualified.
  • Options
    I've said it before, we should abolish constituency spending limits.

All the parties should be given a national spending limit, and it is up to them where they spend it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Pulpstar said:

No chance.

Yeh, 4% max.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The correct approach for the Tories to take, Bill Wragg at 11:52

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/10/general-election-2017-tory-mps-expenses-one-show-politics-live

and the wrong approach, Karl McCartney at 11:43. He should keep his mouth shut.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No chance.

Yeh, 4% max.
    Candidate deadlines tommorow, we might be able to discern more or less the UKIP max from that alone.
  • Options
    JackW said:

In Russia Crick would be found dead in a ditch or enjoying a pot of polonium tea. In the UK we should celebrate robust journalistic investigations.

Conservatives nicked a draw in injury time. Hardly a Champion League Final win.

Sounds about right.
    And the same defence would not be entirely credible if they pull the same trick again this time around. Electoral law is probably a little more enforceable than Paul Mason believes.
  • Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

It certainly is.

Shocking graphics.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    edited May 2017

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Happily all those responsible for the 2015 election Cameron, Osborne and the Chumocracy have been given the sack so we can all breath a sigh of relief! :smiley:
    Sir Lynton Crosby and Jim Messina say hello.
    They are just on the payroll... They aren't dishing out money etc.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,423
    JackW said:

In Russia Crick would be found dead in a ditch or enjoying a pot of polonium tea. In the UK we should celebrate robust journalistic investigations.

Conservatives nicked a draw in injury time. Hardly a Champion League Final win.

Not all Tories are graceless twats.

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/862253933850439680

• Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/10/general-election-2017-tory-mps-expenses-one-show-politics-live

Indeed. Be magnanimous in victory
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Pulpstar said:

No chance.

Yeh, 4% max.
    How many constituencies in London are UKIP going to be standing in?

And who are would-be UKIP voters going to vote for when they turn up to the polling booth to find themselves thwarted in that aspiration?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,028

Just can't really imagine Tynemouth going blue.

You would think so, but it's quite an old population, isn't it? And it was blue until 1997.

I guess the big question is where do UKIP voters in a constituency like that go - do they head over to the Tories or would they rather just stay at home?

I don't fancy it at evens at all. But there could be a few shocks like this on the night...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, an interesting side-effect of such a move, which may help the law both be enforced and clear, would be to make it easier for smaller parties to break through, as they could focus national level resources in a small number of seats.
  • Options

Advice for June 8th? :p
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, an interesting side-effect of such a move, which may help the law both be enforced and clear, would be to make it easier for smaller parties to break through, as they could focus national level resources in a small number of seats.

I could live with that.
  • Options

Although independents would be buggered, unless national spend doesn't take into account the number of seats you stand in (which would be very advantageous to the SNP)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Advice for June 8th? :p
    Yup, there's only one thing worse than a sore loser, a sore winner.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No chance.

Yeh, 4% max.
    How many constituencies in London are UKIP going to be standing in?

And who are would-be UKIP voters going to vote for when they turn up to the polling booth to find themselves thwarted in that aspiration?
    General Election 2015: Vauxhall
    UKIP Ace Nnorom 1,385 2.9

LOL
  • Options

All the parties should be given a national spending limit, and it is up to them where they spend it.

I'd pity the poor souls living in marginals, were that to happen.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326
    Panelbase doesn't show much movement in response to May's jingoism on the steps of Downing Street.

https://twitter.com/europeelects/status/862261413150171136
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So, if you don't want to look a hypocrite you'll be paying back that £2.4m from Michael Brown then eh Tim? If you want to claim that spirit of the law moral high-ground.

You strangely forgot about Asil Nadir.

Conservatives. Smug, hypercritical bastards since.... forever .... eating babies too
  • Options
    It is a sign of a healthy democracy that the DPP knew that if she had brought charges in the expenses saga, Theresa May couldn't do a James Comey on her.

Be grateful we live in such a country.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Panelbase doesn't show much movement in response to May's jingoism on the steps of Downing Street.

No difference in your stance either.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

You strangely forgot about Asil Nadir.

Conservatives. Smug, hypercritical bastards since.... forever .... eating babies too
    Hard not to be smug when you are enjoying a meal as delicious as that :smiley:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

No chance.

Yeh, 4% max.
    Candidate deadlines tommorow, we might be able to discern more or less the UKIP max from that alone.
    We know of several seats where UKIP aren't standing, but I guess by tomorrow we'll know how many deposits they've managed to raise. I think it could be in the double figures, in which case around 3/4 of their current poll support could still go elsewhere when the voters realise there isn't a ukip candidate to vote for.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Not being up before the beak is hardly a "victory".
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I'd pity the poor souls living in marginals, were that to happen.
    Let them eat cake They can always move.
  • Options
    Mr. D, hmm, probably. Depends how deep their pockets are.

• Options

Thinking Brexit is wrong and thinking Junckers is a self-important dickhead needing a slapping down are not exclusive positions.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    felix said:

The bright side of this sorry saga is seeing so many 'progressives' who claim to be liberal, and sticklers for the application of the law, throwing their toys out of the pram because the law has been correctly applied.

Indeed its like the article 50 case all over again :)
    CPS: Enemies of the People.
  • Options

Betting Post

Must say, for what it's worth, I agree with Mr. Sandpit. Were I a spread bettor, I would not sell the SNP at 43.

Speaking of such things, here's a repost of stuff from yesterday.

F1: to commemorate the excellent and wonderful Verstappen tip last year, I've put a very, very small amount on Perez at 41 and Hulkenberg at 126 respectively to get on the podium. These are slightly silly bets, but do have a modicum of reasoning, besides the anniversary of arguably the greatest fluke tip in the site's history.

Spain is very hard to pass on, and Hulkenberg's been qualifying strongly (I think he started 6th last time). If there's trouble ahead, he could stand to benefit ahead of many others. Perez, if tyre degradation is excessive, is very good at managing them and drives well on tight circuits.

A slightly more serious bet to consider is Raikkonen each way at 13 for the win. He drove very well last time (had the pace for pole but screwed it up) and last year was better than Vettel in every session of Spain.

I have a small amount on Raikkonen at 22 to take pole...I'm not quite sure why Mercedes should still be favourites in Spain. Hope being placed in the upgrade of gearbox, etc ?
  • Options

Huh...the open file has only just been received from Kent Police? I thought Thanet was one of the first out of the blocks?

Probably relates to certain witness statements now being more forthcoming.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Certainly - it should be a battle-TRAIN!
  • Options
    Good job there are no rules like that on politics and betting... I think...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Update from Labour's most marginal seat in London: Ealing Central & Acton. Rupa Huq's latest election missive is almost solely aimed at potential Lab-LD switchers, which suggests to me the canvassing returns are showing that this is her main problem. St. Vince has, of course, given her his blessing and to be fair the LD candidate is an uninspiring retread who was prosecuted last year for failing to pay his council tax. That along with today's polling has made me reassess her chances from 0% to around 15%. Still looks like a clear Tory gain, though.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590

Update from Labour's most marginal seat in London: Ealing Central & Acton. Rupa Huq's latest election missive is almost solely aimed at potential Lab-LD switchers, which suggests to me the canvassing returns are showing that this is her main problem. St. Vince has, of course, given her his blessing and to be fair the LD candidate is an uninspiring retread who was prosecuted last year for failing to pay his council tax. That along with today's polling has made me reassess her chances from 0% to around 15%. Still looks like a clear Tory gain, though.

See my post on the other thread
This discussion has been closed.