Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At 11am the Crown Prosecution Service announces what it is doi

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Damp squib it is.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108
    Sky News: No charges, but one investigation remains open.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,600
    Bah! As I expected
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    People are confusing weight and mass.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    There goes the last hope for labour.

Big plus for the conservatives
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    I predict lots of conspiracy theories will be tweeted in the coming hours.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    OGH and TSE breathe a huge sigh of relief as they don't have to worry about that anymore....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,612
    chestnut said:

Surely Hampstead can't go Tory. What will the luvies do?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I still think we are heading for polling disaster inquiry MK II....I just can't believe that a) basically half the nation will vote Tory and b) that Jezza might perform better than Brown or Miliband.

I hope not, another major inquiry would sound the death knell for many a polling firm.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Thanet doesn't have to be done before June 8, they got a year extension on June 11 last year
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

isam said:

twitter.com/standardnews/status/862244286028492801

The current state of the parties in London, according to YouGov’s study of 1,040 Londoners, is Labour on 41 per cent, down from their 43 per cent at the 2015 election, and Theresa May’s Conservatives on 36 per cent, up from 34.
    I strongly suspect that Labour are hoovering up pointless Green votes in places like Hackney and Islington whilst losing them in more marginal suburban seats.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760

OGH and TSE breathe a huge sigh of relief as they don't have to worry about that anymore....

Well there's one still outstanding. The one where I was expecting charges.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Alistair said:

People are confusing weight and mass.

I'm not. Your mass is the same everywhere.

(unless that's your weight).
  • Options
    Huh...the open file has only just been received from Kent Police? I thought Thanet was one of the first out of the blocks?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited May 2017
    isam said:
    Poor old Smithson, what a shame. That kills the third thread in a row he had lined up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326
    Charles said:

There's a difference between a politician/hanger-on and someone who is supposed to act independently in a potentially criminal investigation.

What would you think if a judge had made derogatory comments 5 years ago about one of your clients? Would you be happy that their views might have "long ago been abandoned"?

To me it's not her views as such that are a problem, but the competence of someone working in regulatory compliance who posts such things publicly on Facebook has to be questionable.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2017
    I guess Theresa May doesn't need to fire the Chief Exec of the CPS now?

EDIT: Karl McCartney MP says she does need to at the Electoral Commission!

“It is clear that those who lead the Electoral Commission who followed and allowed this action to take place are politically-motivated and biased – actions that have rendered this organisation wholly unfit-for-purpose. In these circumstances, the positions of the Executive Team and Senior Management Group – from the Chief Executive down to her side-kick, Louise Edwards, who has spearheaded many, if not all, of these one-sided enquiries – are now untenable and I believe that they should resign forthwith.”
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    I'm confused. Surely we've just discovered the show was run by a communist Corbynite and yet there are no charges? It's almost as if the entire public sector is not an anti-Tory conspiracy.
  • Options
    "One file, from Kent Police, was only recently received by the CPS, and remains under consideration. No inference as to whether any criminal charge may or may not be authorised in relation to this file should be drawn from this fact and we will announce our decision as soon as possible once we have considered the evidence in this matter."
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Only because it was late, not because charges are expected.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,612
    chestnut said:

isam said:

The current state of the parties in London, according to YouGov’s study of 1,040 Londoners, is Labour on 41 per cent, down from their 43 per cent at the 2015 election, and Theresa May’s Conservatives on 36 per cent, up from 34.
    I strongly suspect that Labour are hoovering up pointless Green votes in places like Hackney and Islington whilst losing them in more marginal suburban seats.
    Anywhere were a lot of people earn more than £80K is gone in London.
  • Options
    Great work by Michael Crick.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I hope we can all give 3 cheers and let's have no smears against the judiciary doing its job.
  • Options

"One file, from Kent Police, was only recently received by the CPS, and remains under consideration. No inference as to whether any criminal charge may or may not be authorised in relation to this file should be drawn from this fact and we will announce our decision as soon as possible once we have considered the evidence in this matter."

I guess the fear for the Tories is that is announced say ohhh like a week before the GE....because isn't the time running out on that one?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    chestnut said:

isam said:

I guess there's about a million odd votes there, plus the associated far left fringes
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    edited May 2017
    isam said:
    Story of this election is going to be the Labour vote holding up very well in certain areas of the country, but going off a cliff in other areas.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    It's ruined TSE's masterfully hyperbolic thread header -

'Corbyn to win by landslide thanks to Tory election fraud'.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

There's a difference between a politician/hanger-on and someone who is supposed to act independently in a potentially criminal investigation.

What would you think if a judge had made derogatory comments 5 years ago about one of your clients? Would you be happy that their views might have "long ago been abandoned"?

To me it's not her views as such that are a problem, but the competence of someone working in regulatory compliance who posts such things publicly on Facebook has to be questionable.
    That's a fair point.

But it seems to me that someone in her role has to be *seen* to be impartial as well as actually being impartial
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The decision to bill the expenditure centrally was surely taken at Tory HQ, with the local guys being essentially clueless? At worst they may have asked and perhaps were told not to worry about it by HQ. Tory HQ may have had a lucky escape, other than the fine.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Oh dear, poor Mark "we already know that there is a very strong case against many if not all of the thirty plus" Pack will be so crestfallen:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/05/02/mark-pack-on-the-major-event-that-could-yet-derail-this-election/
  • Options
    Labour looks set to lose at least four seats in London where the Ukip collapse is boosting the Conservatives, an exclusive Evening Standard analysis of the General Election fight in the capital reveals today.

A new YouGov poll of Londoners reveals Jeremy Corbyn’s party has gone into reverse in his home city since the 2015 election, slipping from a nine-point lead over the Conservatives to a gap of five points.

Our analysis of key seats, based on polling plus intelligence on the ground, suggests five London seats will change hands on June 8 - while another four are on a knife-edge.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-labour-to-lose-at-least-four-london-seats-as-party-goes-into-reverse-in-the-capital-a3535221.html
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

Indeed but not a black swan of any sort now surely?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Crick is not having a good week...
  • Options

He hasn't had a good few years...we had the conspiracy over the Tories doing something dodgy with data in Crewe, we had his backing potty mouth minister which all went a bit squiffy, and now this.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I guess the fear for the Tories is that is announced say ohhh like a week before the GE....because isn't the time running out on that one?
    11 June.

Why might explain the timing of the election :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I'm confused. Surely we've just discovered the show was run by a communist Corbynite and yet there are no charges? It's almost as if the entire public sector is not an anti-Tory conspiracy.
    No, a communist Corbynite took it this far and once an independent organisation got it handed to them it stopped there.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The black swan was white after all.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

Sky News: No charges, but one investigation remains open.

Questions remain however, - CPS leaks to Michael Crick and what remains of his career...
  • Options

Oh dear, poor Mark "we already know that there is a very strong case against many if not all of the thirty plus" Pack will be so crestfallen:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/05/02/mark-pack-on-the-major-event-that-could-yet-derail-this-election/

splutter....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,108
    IanB2 said:

The decision to bill the expenditure centrally was surely taken at Tory HQ, with the local guys being essentially clueless. At worst they may have asked and been told not to worry about it by HQ. Someone centrally should have had been in front of CPS and Tory HQ has had a lucky escape.

The central party (along with other parties) got massive fines from the electoral commission for their own crap accounting at the last election.
  • Options
    Good old mens rea
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    So no boost for the LDs then and ironically given the only case left where charges may be brought is Thanet South the only party Crick might have boosted is UKIP who have perhaps been kept on life support as a result of this news
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Not remotely surprised, as I said from the time they were mooted. And I say this as someone who had some inside track on what has been going on. These "charges" were a result of very poor journalism from Crick - he did not seem to know that the individuals on the BattleBus were personally paying £50 a day for their accommodation - and some very pathetic attempts by losing candidates to smear their opponents with, frankly, rubbish claims.

They should have been chucked out on day one, but I suppose for the sake of transparency, they had to be looked at, so as not to have possibility of "cover-up" or "favour" being bandied around. But the cost has been massive. I have been told it was £1.5m to investigate one claim alone.

The way this matter has been bandied around for political advantage has been less than edifying. I trust people will now have the decency to let it drop, acknowledging that each of those candidates facing these questions has come out the process with nothing to answer for. Sure, there were failings, but each of the parties has had these - and been fined accordingly.
  • Options

More of a dead duck
  • Options
    This has certainly shot C4's fox. Can't wait to see the mood on the news tonight. Has Crick gone into hiding?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

No, not now that there'll be no decision during the campaign period.
  • Options

Respect to the CPS for doing this properly, by boring press release, and let us trust they would have done the same if charges were being brought. But many, including me, were appalled by their conduct in relation to the unlovely "Creases" Huhne, and said so. The point is not a partisan one.
  • Options

That is almost as good as the Sion Simon article.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,425
    edited May 2017
    'Always said that Louise Edwards is marvellously wise and judicious, won't hear a word against her, judgment of Solomon, sagacious, shrewd etc, etc'
  • Options
    Nice to have it confirmed David Cameron and George Osborne won the 2015 general election fairly and squarely.
  • Options

So this story turns out to just be crickbait then.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

There was clearly administrative failings. However that is far different from criminal intent.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Not remotely surprised, as I said from the time they were mooted. And I say this as someone who had some inside track on what has been going on. These "charges" were a result of very poor journalism from Crick - he did not seem to know that the individuals on the BattleBus were personally paying £50 a day for their accommodation - and some very pathetic attempts by losing candidates to smear their opponents with, frankly, rubbish claims.

They should have been chucked out on day one, but I suppose for the sake of transparency, they had to be looked at, so as not to have possibility of "cover-up" or "favour" being bandied around. But the cost has been massive. I have been told it was £1.5m to investigate one claim alone.

The way this matter has been bandied around for political advantage has been less than edifying. I trust people will now have the decency to let it drop, acknowledging that each of those candidates facing these questions has come out the process with nothing to answer for. Sure, there were failings, but each of the parties has had these - and been fined accordingly.

He also made some sweeping generalizations in loads of seats. He basically said here is my guess-estimate of what it would have cost for these people and then if I stick all that bill onto the local spending the Tories overspent.
  • Options

but this was the reason for the May U-turn wasn't it, she was about to see 30 MPs banged up?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    Charles said:

11 June.

Why might explain the timing of the election :sweat_smile:
    I rather suspect it's more that the timing of the election explains the date of the announcement.
  • Options
    "People should be aware that making false claims about a candidate’s personal character and conduct is an electoral offence"
  • Options

I have spoken to my nanotech guys about violin sizes, but they said something about the Planck length being an absolute lower bound.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    DanSmith said:

isam said:
    Story of this election is going to be the Labour vote holding up very well in certain areas of the country, but going off a cliff in other areas.
    The Greens managed just over 1m votes in England - but 700,000 of them are in London, East England, SE and SW.

Corbyn will be pulling these in - but they are almost all stuck in ultra-safe, urban Labour seats or ultra-safe, suburban Tory seats.

It's likely to lead to increased inefficiency in the Labour vote.
  • Options
    I spy OGH filing away his copy of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 :p
  • Options
    YouGov London poll: Con 36% (+2), Lab 41% (-2), LibDem 14% (+6), UKIP 6% (-2), Green 3% (-2)
  • Options

More of a dead duck
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

YouGov London poll: Con 36% (+2), Lab 41% (-2), LibDem 14% (+6), UKIP 6% (-2), Green 3% (-2)

All those £80k workers not happy...
  • Options

'Always said Louise Edwards is marvellously wise and judicious, won't hear a word against her, judgment of Solomon, sagacious, shrewd etc, etc'

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/862246282550706176
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Truly remarkable - the CPS believe that the returns were inacurate, the Electoral Commission fines the Tories but now no proceedings on the basis that none of these agents and candidates really know what was going on.

Really. What happened to the notion that ignorance of the law is no defence?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    So as so often a drama made up by the over exuberance of Michael Crick
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Not much reaction on the spreads. Midpoints atm: spin 398-157-17.5, spreadex 401-157-18.5
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Truly remarkable - the CPS believe that the returns were inacurate, the Electoral Commission fines the Tories but now no proceedings on the basis that none of these agents and candidates really know what was going on.

CPS had to prove criminal intent.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

As I said, the "intent" was probably at the centre, rather than locally.
  • Options
    The key issue here really is the notion of local vs national spending is virtually impossible to work out in this digital age (and one where moving people around the country is trivial).

The authorities really need to consider how to adjust the rules for the modern age.
  • Options
    Who has the biggest downer today - Smithson or Crick?
  • Options
    Jezza pitch, 50% increase in Corporation Tax...for ewucation.
  • Options

The key issue here really is the notion of local vs national spending is virtually impossible to work out in this digital age (and one where moving people around the country is trivial).

The authorities really need to consider how to adjust the rules for the modern age.

http://www.markpack.org.uk/130283/internet-speeds-up-the-killing-off-of-expense-controls-in-marginal-seats/
  • Options
    Just a 2% Labour to Conservative swing in a 60:40 Remain stronghold.

My rough and ready model of differential swing from the other day might not be too bad.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I haven't been following the CPS story with any real interest, it all seemed like a bit of a dud, and a bit straw-grasping. I doubt any more than 1 in 50 voters has actually even been aware of this story at all.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jason said:

Who has the biggest downer today - Smithson or Crick?

Who sold Tory seats on the spreads on the basis this info would drop during the campaign?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

but this was the reason for the May U-turn wasn't it, she was about to see 30 MPs banged up?
    I think the IndyRef in Scotland was a far bigger decision sealer.
  • Options
    Jason said:

It's ruined TSE's masterfully hyperbolic thread header -

'Corbyn to win by landslide thanks to Tory election fraud'.

What on earth are you wittering on about?
  • Options

Jezza pitch, 50% increase in Corporation Tax...for education.

Given the people around him, he probably thinks it's desperately needed.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    BBC - It's understood a decison on whether to bring charges re South Thanet will be made before the election, possibly next week

Could still be rather awkward. A week before the GE would be rather unhelpful to say the least, taking a leaf out of Comey's book.
  • Options

I haven't been following the CPS story with any real interest, it all seemed like a bit of a dud, and a bit straw-grasping. I doubt any more than 1 in 50 voters has actually even been aware of this story at all.

C4 news were certainly hyping it up at every opportunity.
  • Options

My rough and ready model of differential swing from the other day might not be too bad.

It suggests SW London is more positive for the LDs than most of the PB pundits have been predicting.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Crick having a very bad day. Not only have the CPS declined to prosecute*, but he's getting a slapping from fellow journos over his (seemingly false) claim that the Tories were demanding questions in advance of granting an interview with TM.

* Not that this is a declaration of innocence, or anywhere close to it.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    So 14 police forces have the time and manpower to investigate possible technical infringements of electoral law, but are too busy to investigate a major outbreak of violent crime (20 cases a day) by moped gangs in London.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,157
    scotslass said:

That is not what the press release says. The standard of evidence for the Electoral Commission is to demonstrate that there was a breach of the regulations, for which they were fined. However, the standard of evidence for a criminal prosecution is much higher - it has to be proven that there was deliberate intent to knowingly breach the regulations.

The press release does not say that the agents and candidates did not know what was going - it says that they believed that these expenses could be allocated centrally, not locally, and so they did not report them. This made the returns "inaccurate" and subject to an EC fine, but there clearly weren't any "hoho, if we pretend we think these are central expenses we can avoid reporting them, bwahahah" emails; so no criminal prosecution.
  • Options

If so, LOL at the unintended consequences: CPS responsible for the beginning of the Thousand Year Reich because, subject to caveats about predictions and counterfactuals, there is no way that a 2020 election would have produced the outcome which this one is going to.
  • Options

So this story turns out to just be crickbait then.

Boom, boom...
  • Options
    This does bring into question C4's impartiality, and the amount of time and effort they put into this story. Some serious and searching questions have to be asked of a national, subsidised broadcaster.

BBC, Sky, etc, look like they're attending a wake at the moment.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    "Perhaps the CPS will decide not to prosecute. The CPS could come to a different view of the facts than the Commission. Or decide that although they think the law was broken that the only charges they can proceed on require proving a dishonest motivation and that won’t be possible. Certainly possible, but by no means certain."

I don't know who Mark Pack is but the quote above shows he did not leave himself out on a limb.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It suggests SW London is more positive for the LDs than most of the PB pundits have been predicting.
    I don't think that's a safe assumption. Inner city London is exactly where I'd expect to see the Lib Dems increasing their vote share. There are a lot of very disgruntled Remain voters in these parts. Moderate and temperate voters like me often get their ears bent by them.
  • Options

BBC - It's understood a decison on whether to bring charges re South Thanet will be made before the election, possibly next week

Could still be rather awkward. A week before the GE would be rather unhelpful to say the least, taking a leaf out of Comey's book.

Do we know if the Thanet claims are specifically different? I thought it was all battle busses?
  • Options

Jezza pitch, 50% increase in Corporation Tax...for education.

Given the people around him, he probably thinks it's desperately needed.

Milne = Wykehamist, which would lead to the conclusion that there is such a thing as too much education.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    mwadams said:

scotslass said:

That is not what the press release says. The standard of evidence for the Electoral Commission is to demonstrate that there was a breach of the regulations, for which they were fined. However, the standard of evidence for a criminal prosecution is much higher - it has to be proven that there was deliberate intent to knowingly breach the regulations.

The press release does not say that the agents and candidates did not know what was going - it says that they believed that these expenses could be allocated centrally, not locally, and so they did not report them. This made the returns "inaccurate" and subject to an EC fine, but there clearly weren't any "hoho, if we pretend we think these are central expenses we can avoid reporting them, bwahahah" emails; so no criminal prosecution.
    Faisal Islam (no fan of the Tories) just said on Sky that he had seen leaked emails where candidates / agents repeatedly asked CCHQ is this local or national spending with CCHQ replying national.
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    franklyn

'So 14 police forces have the time and manpower to investigate possible technical infringements of electoral law, but are too busy to investigate a major outbreak of violent crime (20 cases a day) by moped gangs in London.'

Hopefully we get to find out how many police hours were wasted & what this nonsense has cost the taxpayer.

• Options
    I think we're looking forward to the next PB thread on it too.
This discussion has been closed.