Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Branding the Tories totally around Theresa has made it easier

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Anyone got an idea of Percentage of first preference votes in Scotland yet?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Typo said:

Bit daft of news networks to be live at the Liverpool mayoral count (where the result has never been in doubt) and miss the big story in the Tees Valley (which is obviously a far more marginal area).

Also, Farron spinning like a Jenny!

Yeah, but who the **** wants to go to Middlesbrough? It's a bit far away for the journos and it makes Liverpool look positively delightful.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

Meanwhile, in La France, good news for (most) PB punters....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-election-idUSKBN18014H

While the debate got the PB Blackshirts salivating, in France the reaction is that Macron was far better.

Le Pen on 35-40 looks value at 2.16, but with the way polls are moving I think good to cover 30-35% too. Undecideds will not break to Le Pen IMO.

Btw, I noticed the lay side of the market was trading overbroke just now. You don't see that very often. Worth keeping an eye on.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Hurrah, JohnO has been elected in Surrey.

Well done.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Midpoints spin 404-149-22.5, spreadex 405-148-23.5
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Scott_P said:
    465 and counting. I though Labour losses had been projected at c 150??
    That was for England!
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    On topic!Carswell on Sky is using Tory talking points - he just referred to "Theresa May's candidates".
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    WM Mayor betting Betfair Exchange

Street 1.55-1.69
    Simon 2.34-2.6

Less than £5 matched in total on this market.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Scott_P said:

Twitter reveals that a Scottish Conservative candidate has won a seat representing Ravenscraig - former home of the steel plant killed off by the Great Satan with her Handbag of Doom.

It would appear that the electoral advantage of screaming "Evil Tories!" is at last beginning to wane up North.

Also posted upthread, but yes, remarkable
    Missed that, flicking between several tabs. Sorry :-)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Question for the Lib Dems on here.

So far Kent CC has six Liberal Democrat and one "Liberal Democrat Focus Team" councillors elected.

What's the difference?

A pointed dig at Those Who Will Not Deliver?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    Andrew said:

Midpoints spin 404-149-22.5, spreadex 405-148-23.5

I bought the Tories at 378 with spreadex a fortnight ago, I was thinking of closing out earlier on this week.

But someone persuaded me not to do so.

I'm so grateful.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sean_F said:

Well done.
    Second that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Bravo!
  • Options

So far Kent CC has six Liberal Democrat and one "Liberal Democrat Focus Team" councillors elected.

What's the difference?

Parties have a number of descriptions listed with the Electoral Commission that can be used by candidates on the ballot paper. There are some Lib Dems who (wrongly I think) believe "Focus" is a strong enough brand to make it worth putting on the ballot paper.

There's no formal difference beyond the description though - it's not like the Co-operative Party which stands joint candidates with Labour but is actually a separate organisation (albeit closely linked).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

At the 1983 locals, Labour's projected share was 34.5%. They got 28.3% at the GE 4 weeks later.

But there was no expectation of a general election when people voted in 1983 - unlike 1987.
    If the higher Labour vote was because of personal votes for local councillors (which are almost always more significant than personal votes for MPs), it wouldn't make any difference whether people knew a general election was coming or not.
    Yes - but Tory councillors have personal votes too!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Lord Ashcroft FG:

However hazy on the details, the groups had grasped the tenor of the leaks. Few found this very alarming, seeing it either as a negotiating tactic, or an expression of Europe’s fear of the future without Britain and (more to the point) its money: “They’re all frightened, aren’t they. They’ve got the French election coming up, and if Marine Le Pen gets in, oh my God. They’ll take France out, and that will be the end of the EU. So I think they’re all shit scared. Excuse that, sorry.” Far from seeing the episode as a told-you-so moment, many of those who had voted to stay in the EU were unimpressed: “I understand the logic of why we need to remain, but now they’re coming over and threatening us in our own territory.”

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/05/emirates-v-easyjet-election-focus-groups-five-weeks-go/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Icarus said:

The Liberal Democrat 18% is very encouraging for the General election. There are 5 weeks to go (5 X a long time)

In that time Labour will continue to collapse - their candidates denouncing JC will not help.

The Tories will continue to ask for a blank cheque, the Liberals will look like the only alternative and should pick up support in winnable seats.

The Liberal Democrats always outperform in local elections.

Their impact on June 8th is likely to be very modest indeed.
    True, but I slightly struggle with how to interpret these results compared with most local elections. They have been swamped with coverage of the national picture, and in the places that matter with GE campaigning. I agree the "true" LD figure is probably lower, but my pure intuition would be 14%-ish.

There aren't many close equivalents. The 1983 and 1987 elections were hot on the heels of locals, but weren't actually called until after they had concluded I think. In the former, the Alliance outperformed their local result by a few %, and in the latter underperformed by a similar amount. But, as I say, I think the comparison is imperfect.
    The LibDems added 7% to their 2013 local election performance, so the logical thing would be to add 7 to their 2013 opinion poll ratings. I haven't checked but guess these would have been down in the 7-8% range, which gives a projected VI for the General of 14-15%, which looks credible.
    No - that 7% increase was compared with 2015, not 2013. According to Wikipedia the 2013 figure was 14%, so an increase of only 4 points.
    So add the 7 to 2015 polls/GE vote, which gives the same answer.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Well done.
    Do you think Kelvin Hopkins is at risk?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cornwall is counting. Tories are 4 up so far, but tis very early days, my 'andsome.

'ang on, weren't they hideously split and doomed to oblivion??? (c) Mark Someone-or-other
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

BBC announces projected national share of the vote:

Con 38% (+3)
    Lab 27% (-2)
    LD 18% (+7)
    Ukip 5% (-8)
    Other 12% (0)

Changes since 2015.

1983:
    Con 39
    Lab 36
    All 20

1987:
    Con 38
    Lab 32
    All 27
    That's not as extreme as I would have expected, with the exception off UKIP of course, i.e Tories not as good as it looked earlier, Labour not as bad, Libdems actually up the most of any party and 18% not bad at all.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

The PNV on the locals, Baxtered, gives a Tory majority of.... 22.

Which would be pretty disastrous for TMay. An election that barely changed anything.

Clearly I reckon she will do better than that, but a moment of warning for Tories.

Looking at the Leics votes (classic middle England) the most WWC areas of the county (Loughborough, Coalville, and Braunstone) went Lab, with the LDs doing best in the middle market areas like Wigston, Oadby, Harborough, and Hinckley. Tories in the Leafier and more rural bits, but also newer housing, Melton and Charnwood.

In other words a swing rather than a revolution.

• Options
    edited May 2017

What's the difference?

Parties have a number of descriptions listed with the Electoral Commission that can be used by candidates on the ballot paper. There are some Lib Dems who (wrongly I think) believe "Focus" is a strong enough brand to make it worth putting on the ballot paper.

There's no formal difference beyond the description though - it's not like the Co-operative Party which stands joint candidates with Labour but is actually a separate organisation (albeit closely linked).
    I've been an LDFT candidate six times and am a great believer that it makes a difference. Surveys regularly find that some 7% of voters make their decision whilst staring at the ballot paper, after all.

If you have a group elected on different labels, you just have to write a letter to the Chief Executive informing him or her that you all wish to be treated by the council as a political group.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Lose Country Durham? They're almost home and dry already (yes, rural areas blah blah). I mean they had a HUGE majority to begin with.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Sean_F said:

Well done.
    Yes. Congratulations John O!
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

When the tories were getting 30 odd % in the polls and elections,I mentioned to get back over 40% was to give a referendum and get out of the EU.

In other words,the EU was holding the tory vote back.

Spot on, politicos are reading far too much into what is happening: May isn't Cameron and Osborne who repelled so many natural conservatives. She is making it acceptable to vote tory again.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Don't understand. The swing to the Tories is much less than expected, but the Tories are at the high end of expectation in terms of seats won?

Better distribution? And will this extend to the GE?

An 11% lead for a governing party in local elections is huge. It's far better than the Conservatives achieved in 1983 or 1987.

Yes, it all depends how much this election mirrors the GE (being so close)

My guess is that lots of people who didn't vote last night will certainly come out in June - to make sure Corbyn loses.

I still predict a Tory maj or 80-100. Landslide, but not annihilation for Labour.
    I think we are looking at 100+ landslide for May and Robertson losing his seat in Scotland
    the runes for Corbyn are far worse than for Foot in 1983, and then Labour still had Scotland ( and Wales....). Got to be over 100+ for TM barring a Black Swan event
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

At the 1983 locals, Labour's projected share was 34.5%. They got 28.3% at the GE 4 weeks later.

But there was no expectation of a general election when people voted in 1983 - unlike 1987.
    If the higher Labour vote was because of personal votes for local councillors (which are almost always more significant than personal votes for MPs), it wouldn't make any difference whether people knew a general election was coming or not.
    Yes - but Tory councillors have personal votes too!
    True, but in the current climate it seems less likely that there are significant numbers who say "I like my Tory councillor and will vote for her... but Corbyn's the man I want in Number 10", than "I like my Labour councillor so will vote for him... but I can't risk Corbyn next month".

I'm sure there are such people in the great Venn diagram of politics... it just instinctively feels more niche.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

What's the difference?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Utterly OT/self-promotion, just a heads up Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger should be out quite soon:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/wandering-phoenix-and-roaming-tiger.html
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Typo said:

Bit daft of news networks to be live at the Liverpool mayoral count (where the result has never been in doubt) and miss the big story in the Tees Valley (which is obviously a far more marginal area).

Yeah, but who the **** wants to go to Middlesbrough? It's a bit far away for the journos and it makes Liverpool look positively delightful.
    I have been to the greater Middlesbrough area loads of times - for some reason, it attracts loads of rare birds. Very good for rare waders, terns and gulls. (Possibly, it is just that the acid fumes floating above the city blind them.)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/860497843378937856

EDIT: Twitter is saying this is rubbish

Cav Empt

With 67 of 136 declared they are on 45 of the 64 needed. They have lost 10 when they would need to go on to lose 30.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

tlg86 said:

Typo said:

I have been to the greater Middlesbrough area loads of times - for some reason, it attracts loads of rare birds. Very good for rare waders, terns and gulls. (Possibly, it is just that the acid fumes floating above the city blind them.)
    Seal sands?

No seals.
    No sand.
  • Options
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    IanB2 said:

The 7% vote share increase gives the LDs the vital nugget to claim momentum. It's clearly a disappointing night, but if the vote share increase had been minimal there would have been no good news at all to take home from this. The 7% gives them a lifeline, we can expect to hear a lot about it from Farron in the coming days.

True, but most of it will be wasted votes improving poor third places into better third places.

The absolute key in the LibDem target seats is winning back the anti-Tory tactical votes that put them over the top in so many Tory seats before 2015. The political environment looks hopeful for that, particularly if there is a fear about a big majority - whether they have the resources to make it happen is another matter.
    Stephen Bush from the New Statesman has a theory about voters who don't want to vote for the winner. Up until 2010 voting Lib Dem was perfect for them, but when they actually got into power they switched to people like the Greens or UKIP. I may be mangling the details, but I think there is something to it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Which would be pretty disastrous for her. An election that barely changed anything.

Clearly I reckon she will do better than that, but a moment of warning for Tories.

Doesn't match up with the Tories winning mayoral elections in Tees Valley, Bristol, possibly West Midlands.
    I'd knock two points off Labour, and add four or so to the Tories (from UKIP, LD, SNP and Labourites all scared of Corbyn). So, something like

C 42
    L 25
    LD 14
    UKIP 4

... and all depends on Scotland.

Baxtered that gives a majority of around 100. Which is my hunch.
    What's PNV pls?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    465 and counting. I though Labour losses had been projected at c 150??
    Yesterday speculation reached 400+
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    It doesn't matter how many local election results there are, people still keep projecting them onto general election results. Happens every single time, without fail. I know Smithson did a piece debunking this, but it doesn't appear to make any difference - despite the substantial evidence that the two do not correlate.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited May 2017
    https://twitter.com/Politico_Daily/status/860501120178847750

This really is turning in to an ABL contest.
  • Options
    Projected National Vote (share)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SpawnofJustice: Looks like the Green Nats will prop up the SNP on Glasgow Council. Could be the final nail in their coffin.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

tlg86 said:

Typo said:

Seal sands?

No seals.
    No sand.
    Seals are back there (assuming you visit when the tide is right). Its mudflaps though so not sandy....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Which would be pretty disastrous for her. An election that barely changed anything.

Doesn't match up with the Tories winning mayoral elections in Tees Valley, Bristol, possibly West Midlands.
    I'd knock two points off Labour, and add four or so to the Tories (from UKIP, LD, SNP and Labourites all scared of Corbyn). So, something like

C 42
    L 25
    LD 14
    UKIP 4

Instinctively, that does feel to me where we would be if we decided to cut the crap and have the GE tomorrow.

Still space for a bit of shift in the campaign of course, but that does smell right.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

C 42
    L 25
    LD 14
    UKIP 4

What's PNV pls?
    Projected National (Vote/Share)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Well done.
    No. He's a prominent Labour Leave MP in a majority Leave constituency.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

C 42
    L 25
    LD 14
    UKIP 4

What's PNV pls?
    Projected national vote, I think.
  • Options

When the tories were getting 30 odd % in the polls and elections,I mentioned to get back over 40% was to give a referendum and get out of the EU.

In other words,the EU was holding the tory vote back.

Spot on, politicos are reading far too much into what is happening: May isn't Cameron and Osborne who repelled so many natural conservatives. She is making it acceptable to vote tory again.
    More importantly, she is making it acceptable to vote Tory for the first time....
  • Options
    So I reckon it's Con GAIN Suffolk, Con hold Northants and Devon, Lab hold Doncaster, probably edge Durham, and the Tories will be pushing for a majority in Cornwall but probably fall short.
  • Options
    @Mike_Blackley: John Curtice says it looks like a 'disappointing' result for SNP compared to expectations. Unlikely to pass 40%.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712

Sean_F said:

Well done.
    With Corbyn around, even Katie Hopkins is at risk
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Rhubarb said:

"Coalition of Chaos" becomes "Coalition of Strong and Stable" :smile:
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Rhubarb said:

The biggest factor was probably name recognition.

Shows what a million quid can do.

I very much doubt he'd have won enough transfers if he hadn't spent huge amounts on non-tory branded ads before the spending limits kicked in.

Having said that, he seems like a decent enough candidate - and from what I can tell, he stuck to the campaign spending rules.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    felix said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Where will the Kippers go when Mrs May uses her huge majority to support the EU concessions she is going to make to ensure a soft landing for Brexit in the national interest?

Will there be a resurgent UKIP party? It will be too late to do anything about the large Tory majority for the next five years.

I can't see how she can improve the strength of the pro-Remain position in the HoC by going for a landslide. The net change in England and Wales will probably be to replace 30-50 or so mainly Remain Labour MPs by 30-50 Tory MPs of whom 45% will be Leavers. Some, good grief, might turn out to be like Bone or Cash.

The 45% figure is based on the stated views of the existing parliamentary party as of May 2016 when Tory MPs were split 55/45% for Remain. This split excludes MPs who refused to disclose which way they'd vote, e.g. Jesse Norman.
    It is the size of her majority which will make it easier for her to weather the storms on her backbenches when she makes major concessions on Brexit. It's not the leave/remain mix per se.

With a majority of 12 in theory it would only take six Bones and Cashes to vote against her. With a majority of say 150 it would take 75 backbenchers to vote against her proposal for a very soft Brexit for which she will get some support from the opposition as well. It puts her in a much stronger position for a soft Brexit if that is where her heart really is, in the national interest.

We'll soon see. The litmus test is what happens to Fox. If he is fired, my scenario is probably correct.
    I suspect Fox may be allowed to wither on the vine. Otherwise you may well be close to the mark. any Brexit scuppering will in fact, be down to the intransigence of the Eurocrats.
    I wonder what she will do with Boris, now that he is no longer a threat. Amber Rudd as next Foreign Sec?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Well done.
    Ta
  • Options
    With one ward in Edinburgh to go I make it 17 SNP, 17 Con, 11 Labour, 8 Green, 6 LD
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Rhubarb said:

That is Waitrose tribalism I'd imagine.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
  • Options
    And my prediction for Liberton is 2 SNP, 1 Con, 1 Lab or maybe 2 SNP 2 Con
  • Options
    What an absurd way to declare the GM result
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

C 42
    L 25
    LD 14
    UKIP 4

In reality, I'd expect more like 150 on those numbers. If Labour lose the West Midlands conurbation and Teesside, that's the kind of territory we're in.
  • Options
    After 21 seats declared in Northamptonshire Conservatives gain 3 seats
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Roger said:

'Jeremy Corbyn has blamed unique circumstances for the challeninging results in the local elections'.

.....And I'd thought it was 'cos he was crap.

It's the only time he's been leader, so he's not wrong.
  • Options
    JonWC said:

Rhubarb said:

That is Waitrose tribalism I'd imagine.
    LibDems breaking for the John Lewis guy, who'd have thought?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

felix said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Where will the Kippers go when Mrs May uses her huge majority to support the EU concessions she is going to make to ensure a soft landing for Brexit in the national interest?

Will there be a resurgent UKIP party? It will be too late to do anything about the large Tory majority for the next five years.

I can't see how she can improve the strength of the pro-Remain position in the HoC by going for a landslide. The net change in England and Wales will probably be to replace 30-50 or so mainly Remain Labour MPs by 30-50 Tory MPs of whom 45% will be Leavers. Some, good grief, might turn out to be like Bone or Cash.

The 45% figure is based on the stated views of the existing parliamentary party as of May 2016 when Tory MPs were split 55/45% for Remain. This split excludes MPs who refused to disclose which way they'd vote, e.g. Jesse Norman.
    It is the size of her majority which will make it easier for her to weather the storms on her backbenches when she makes major concessions on Brexit. It's not the leave/remain mix per se.

With a majority of 12 in theory it would only take six Bones and Cashes to vote against her. With a majority of say 150 it would take 75 backbenchers to vote against her proposal for a very soft Brexit for which she will get some support from the opposition as well. It puts her in a much stronger position for a soft Brexit if that is where her heart really is, in the national interest.

We'll soon see. The litmus test is what happens to Fox. If he is fired, my scenario is probably correct.
    I suspect Fox may be allowed to wither on the vine. Otherwise you may well be close to the mark. any Brexit scuppering will in fact, be down to the intransigence of the Eurocrats.
    I wonder what she will do with Boris, now that he is no longer a threat. Amber Rudd as next Foreign Sec?
    Perhaps she'll make Philip Holloborne Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    engineerengineer Posts: 9
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

Typo said:

Seal sands?

No seals.
    No sand.
    Seals are back there (assuming you visit when the tide is right). Its mudflaps though so not sandy....
    You mean they are back because of all the abandoned cars?
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    The TV coverage drives me mad - neither Sky or BBC producers understood how the Manchester declaration would happen? Seriously?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Well done.
    But Luton North was a safe Tory seat until 1997 represented by John Carlisle.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Which might be hard for Sturgeon, given her gentle decline at the moment.

Not so gentle.

If she can't talk about indyref and TORIES, and starts talking about the day job, she is even more Fked
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Mike_Blackley: John Curtice says it looks like a 'disappointing' result for SNP compared to expectations. Unlikely to pass 40%.

Our Keiran tweets:

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/860491374055092225
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

tlg86 said:

Typo said:

Seal sands?

No seals.
    No sand.
    There are seals!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

That pretty much kills off indyref2. The SNP needed momentum, and the sense of an angry nation demanding a vote.

If this is repeated at the GE in june, TMay will say NO MANDATE, and deny a vote, and force the Nats to win another vote at Holyrood in 2021.

That's still an increase in the SNP Council election vote.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Freggles said:

tlg86 said:

Typo said:

Seal sands?

No seals.
    No sand.
    There are seals!
    Where?

https://media.tenor.co/images/1071ac1c02d0c33c5a62b2c570b72496/tenor.gif
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    DearPB said:

The TV coverage drives me mad - neither Sky or BBC producers understood how the Manchester declaration would happen? Seriously?

BBC busy showing a conversation between Peter Kellner and Barry Gardiner.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Astonishingly good results for the Conservatives in Edinburgh, coming first in most wards. Very poor result for the SNP and good result for the Greens. The Greens will switch back tactically to the SNP for the Westminster elections, but based on these results, I would say the Conservatives are likely to win Edinburgh South West and have a good chance of powering past the SNP and Labour to win Edinburgh South (still waiting on results from the normally SNP Gilmerton ward, which is part of Edinburgh South). The Lib Dems should easily win Edinburgh West, with the remaining two seats SNP holds.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    More heroic spinning from Labour: Tories apparently not doing very well because they aren't winning in Greater Manchester. Ignoring the fact that, if the Tories were winning in Greater Manchester, Labour would probably be looking at a sub-100 seat finish in the GE.

With Labour dead everywhere in southern England and in most of the Midlands as well, save (pretty much) for core Birmingham, inner London and a few university towns, the Tories don't need Greater Manchester, frankly.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

That pretty much kills off indyref2. The SNP needed momentum, and the sense of an angry nation demanding a vote.

If this is repeated at the GE in june, TMay will say NO MANDATE, and deny a vote, and force the Nats to win another vote at Holyrood in 2021.

The correct thing to do if confident would be so say, yes lets have a vote but legally lock in no more IndyRefs for 30 years.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

DearPB said:

BBC busy showing a conversation between Peter Kellner and Barry Gardiner.
    Credit to Barry, he is pretty much the only Corbynite who comes across as half way intelligent and credible
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Well done.
    It took in a fair chunk of rural Bedfordshire until 1997, and Luton Town has shifted towards Labour. And Hopkins probably has a personal vote.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

She might have to resign as leader if the Tories do as well in Scotland as these local results indicate.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

C 42
    L 25
    LD 14
    UKIP 4

What's PNV pls?
    Projected national vote, I think.
    Thank you (all)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

The correct thing to do if confident would be so say, yes lets have a vote but legally lock in no more IndyRefs for 30 years.
    It depends entirely upon the 2019 Brexit backlash.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I wonder how long Salmond's going to keep repeating 'Tories = UKIP'.......
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Remember SNP don't even have a majority in Scot Parliament today. They only just get over the line with the Greens.

Any modest losses in 2021 and then SNP + Green won't have a majority.

Which will mean Game Over.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Looks like a thumping win for Burnham in GM.

Bugger. I fear this man could become my bete noir in the next few years. Don't trust him.
  • Options
    Liberton is in and as I predicted SNP x 2, Lab, Con

I think that makes it SNP 19, Con 18 and Lab 12

• Options

So I reckon it's Con GAIN Suffolk, Con hold Northants and Devon, Lab hold Doncaster, probably edge Durham, and the Tories will be pushing for a majority in Cornwall but probably fall short.

In Cornwall, they're 21/65 so far (21 LD, 15 Ind, 5 Lab, 3 MK). Just over halfway through the ridiculously large number of seats. They'll be reasonably pleased, and heading to largest party status, but really hard to take control in a council where Indies are a factor and several parties are active in pockets, and seems unlikely.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think the Tories will do it in the West Midlands, based on that high turnout in Solihull.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Legal lock ins of that kind are looking a bit silly atm.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    Looking forward to the next episode of The Men in the Shadows on More 4 tonight - I just wish they hadn't translated the title as simply 'Spin'
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tories now 8 seats up in Cornwall. I don't see a Lib Dem comeback, there.

Look like Lib Dems will come out with a similar number compared to dissolution (43/123). It's about how many the Tories can get. I suspect a similar, maybe slightly lower number (let's say 38/123).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Karen Bradley talking about problems in House of Lords - so why won't May appoint a stack more Con Peers?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Looks like Barry Gardiner has lost his mind live on national TV. Labour meltdown.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

No government can bind its successor - even if the SNP did 'agree' to that, what's to stop them fighting another election on a SindyRef manifesto?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think the Tories will do it in the West Midlands, based on that high turnout in Solihull.

Eh? The Soilihull votes are already in the first round totals.

I agree with your forecast. But not because of Solihull.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    SeanT said:

Tories now 8 seats up in Cornwall. I don't see a Lib Dem comeback, there.

I'd try and keep that up to date more often but there website is so slow
  • Options
    Tim set off for Cambridge and ended up in St Albans!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

She might have to resign as leader if the Tories do as well in Scotland as these local results indicate.
    I can't see that. She's the best they've got.

There's a pathetic bunch of Nats and Labourites on the BBC mewling and complaining that TMay has been so mean and devious, and called an election when they are weak. Because, of course, they would never do that.

SHUT UP YOU WETWIPES
    Barry Gardiner moaning about a decision his party supported in the HoC. Idiot.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Well done.
    Luton of today bears little resemblance to the Luton of 1997. The churn of residents is remarkably high.
This discussion has been closed.