Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Branding the Tories totally around Theresa has made it easier

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RedHotSquirrel: SNP lose Dundee West ward on Dundee City Council to the Conservatives.

@Alan_Cochrane: Tartan Tories who defected to SNP in Perthshire, Ayrshire and North East are going 'home'. Why? Simple: Nicola and threat of indyref2.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Does that imply the Nats are actually losing votes? Not sure how the system works in Scottish locals.

Yes
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    As a Remoaner I am clear Cameron's referendum was a disaster for UK. But boy it has worked for the Tories as UKIP fold.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Party vote shares in the Cambridge local elections:
    Lib Dem 37.15%
    Labour 37.07%
    Conservative 14.8%
    Green 8.2%
    UKIP 0.7%
    Ind 2.0%
  • Options
    @Edinburgh_CC: Ward 9 - Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart results: 3 elected
    Gavin Corbett (Green)
    Andrew Johnston (Con)
    David Key (SNP)
    Turnout 54% #edincount
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Pulpstar, bad luck.
  • Options
    Sad KLAXON

@BraidenHT: First Minister's father Robin Sturgeon hasn't made it in North Ayrshire. On second time of asking. #GCC17
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    IanB2 said:

Tees Valley hangs on second prefs:

Conservatives 40,278 to Labour's 39,797.
    Lib Dems on 12,550
    UKIP on 9,475

If the Conservatives take pretty much all the UKIP second prefs and 1/4 of the Lib Dems' then they're home.

• Options
    @AlanRoden: SNP’s number one priority at this election was an overall majority in Glasgow. If the SNP fails to do that then it will be a huge failure.
  • Options
    @simon_telegraph: First ever Conservative councillor in Cumnock #LE2017
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    IanB2 said:

Lib Dem 37.15%
    Labour 37.07%
    Conservative 14.8%
    Green 8.2%
    UKIP 0.7%
    Ind 2.0%

Compared to last year I think that's LD +3.5%, Lab -5%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tories within 150 votes in my ward. 427 for me. Never seen Labour so crestfallen to win

Well done. Good not to be squeezed
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Election Data‏ @election_data

Walsall have voted 49.5% Conservative and 34.9% Labour in first stage of #wmmayor election
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    IanB2 said:

Just home from work, catching up with the election news on the Beeb.

Observations:

Peter Kellner suggesting that this rivals 1982 (in the midst of the Falklands War) as the best Conservative local government election performance since detailed records began to be kept in the Seventies.

Kellner also suggested that, if we tot up the combined vote for all the left-leaning parties and the combined vote for all the right-leaning parties, a small but measurable right-to-left swing is observable. The problem for the left, of course, is that their vote is much more divided.

Saw latest results from Norfolk - Liberal Democrats gaining vote share but losing councillors, presumably because they are being swamped by a huge Ukip to Con swing. Ill omens there for Norman Lamb.

Ukip dying everywhere. Have heard that they may finally have won a seat up in Burnley, so Ukip=0 not technically accurate, but I think it's going to be pretty close.

LibDem gain Cromer!
    Main town in Norman Lamb constituency.
  • Options
    @Taylor_Muir54: Wow! Conservative GAIN in Rutherglen Central and North!!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    IanB2 said:

Lib Dems on 12,550
    UKIP on 9,475

less than 25% turnout... Really not sure how it will play out as I'm not sure how many people will have used their second preferences (most people I spoke to didn't but equally they probably voted for one of the top 2 anyway).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Lib Dems on 12,550
    UKIP on 9,475

If the Conservatives take pretty much all the UKIP second prefs and 1/4 of the Lib Dems' then they're home.

Yes, I'd call it for the Tories too. Shame there aren't any in play markets on it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Freggles said:

IanB2 said:

Conservatives ahead on first preferences for the Tees Valley mayoralty

Well, Felix, wherever you are, you were right.

On the plus side, proof Corbyn needs to go!
    I'm just in! Depends on 2nd prefs of course now.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Very good results for Labour in Norwich where they have won 12 out of 13 wards.
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Simon Danczuk, who has been barred from standing for Rochdale for Labour, tells me he's "seriously thinking" of standing as an independent
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited May 2017

Walsall have voted 49.5% Conservative and 34.9% Labour in first stage of #wmmayor election

I think Simon may have a narrow lead on first preferences because of the Labour tribal vote in Birmingham and Coventry but Street may win it overall with LD and UKIP preferences but we will see it looks close either way
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    bobajobPB said:

I am still too busy at work to keep up with this. Can someone of a neutral and unexcitable none Tory persuasion (e.g. Alastair) give me the OK/FUBAR level for Corbyn on a scale of 1-10. Cheers!

I'm unsure if I count as non-Tory persuasion, but I'd say it's currently a five. It's not as bad is it could be, and it looks like he'll beat Labour's worst predictions - e.g. they've held Cardiff. Other areas look expectedly bad.

Corbyn will stay on until the GE (there's little point in getting rid of him before then anyway).

But it's not over yet ...
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    IanB2 said:

WM Mayor: Walsall 49.5% Conservative v 34.9% Labour

Interesting. Labour hold both Walsall seats with Tories in second place.
    A 7.2% swing needed to take Walsall North, and 2.6% to take Walsall South.
    Taking both seats would indicate a Tory landslide.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Lib Dem 37.15%
    Labour 37.07%
    Conservative 14.8%
    Green 8.2%
    UKIP 0.7%
    Ind 2.0%

Compared to last year I think that's LD +3.5%, Lab -5%
    I stand by my prediction that Huppert will win at the GE.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Solihull and Sutton Coldfield will go heavily for Street I imagine.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Scott_P said:

Alfred Jodl: "He's moving divisions around that exist only on his map."

Downfall film.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The Midlands looks like it will be the Labour bloodbath I was expecting. And it will be worse at the GE. If you were going to devise a political figure designed specifically to repel Midlanders Corbyn would be it. If you didn't get it quite right you'd probably end up with Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Simon Danczuk, who has been barred from standing for Rochdale for Labour, tells me he's "seriously thinking" of standing as an independent

And? He needs to stand to get a payoff....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    WTF!

@Carlaw4Eastwood: Congratulations to Paul Aitken on becoming first Conservative Cllr in Barrhead in 25 years. Looking good for @PM4EastRen on June 8th.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

bobajobPB said:

I am still too busy at work to keep up with this. Can someone of a neutral and unexcitable none Tory persuasion (e.g. Alastair) give me the OK/FUBAR level for Corbyn on a scale of 1-10. Cheers!

I'm unsure if I count as non-Tory persuasion, but I'd say it's currently a five. It's not as bad is it could be, and it looks like he'll beat Labour's worst predictions - e.g. they've held Cardiff. Other areas look expectedly bad.

Corbyn will stay on until the GE (there's little point in getting rid of him before then anyway).

I'd say that Labour have retreated into strongholds: Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff all looking OK. But they seem on track to lose the Tees Valley metro mayor which should never have been in doubt. The North East looks like a disaster area for Labour. So Corbyn has enough decent areas and results to talk up, with the total meltdown only occurring in certain areas.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    Delighted to see Keith Girling win Newark West. Very good friend and the epitome of public service.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

@Edinburgh_CC: Ward 8 - Colinton/Fairmilehead results: 3 elected
    Scott Arthur (Lab)
    Phil Doggart (Con)
    Jason Rust (Con)
    Turnout – 60.2%
    #edincount

Turnout 60%????
    51% in 2012
    Mr Alistair, is turnout in Scotland’s locals generally higher than UK, or is it just Edinburgh?
    Just the pen bits of Edinburgh. Overall turnout on 2012 was 36%

This is I think, like Holyrood, a SCon surge based on differential turnout.
  • Options
    Heroic spinning from Labour (1): getting shellacked nearly everywhere but bigging up the fact that they survived in bits of South Wales.

Heroic spinning from Labour (2): being shredded by the SNP in Glasgow, but claiming their opponents will have failed if they can't get an absolute majority in a very hard to win STV election.

I think about the only thing they have going for them today is that they're doing miles better than Ukip.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

WTF!

@Carlaw4Eastwood: Congratulations to Paul Aitken on becoming first Conservative Cllr in Barrhead in 25 years. Looking good for @PM4EastRen on June 8th.

Wow
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Roger said:

Rather than obsessing about "Will Corbyn resign?", given the LD's rubbish showing will Farron resign?

I'd like to see Clegg do a Lazarus
    He may be the LDs best option
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Tories within 150 votes in my ward. 427 for me. Never seen Labour so crestfallen to win

Eckington killamarsh big ward.
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    Shock Horror - Tories pick up 2 seats in Durham (so far). Only need another 60 gains and they'll carry the County.
  • Options
    Any news of Durham?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Scott_P said:
    Much as I think Diane Abbot deserves pretty much whatever she gets from interviewers, this is a real gotcha question. I hate interviewers who do that - the interview becomes about how smart the interviewer (thinks he/she) is versus informing the public about the issues.

In this case, it is worse. We already know how crap Diane is.
  • Options

Solihull and Sutton Coldfield will go heavily for Street I imagine.

Yep. So it hangs on Brum...
  • Options

Shock Horror - Tories pick up 2 seats in Durham (so far). Only need another 60 gains and they'll carry the County.

Lol - you answered b4 I asked!
  • Options
    Betting note - Tory candidate WINS Sedgefield.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Eckington killamarsh big ward.
    Why is the marsh so dangerous?
  • Options

Roger said:

Rather than obsessing about "Will Corbyn resign?", given the LD's rubbish showing will Farron resign?

Clegg is a big Macron fan and attended his London rally
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

bobajobPB said:

Yes it is.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

So the most remarkable performance seems to be by the Scottish Conservatives

Mr. Knox, how dare you! No klaxon alert. Think of all the triggers you've set off. Naughty corner for you!
  • Options
    David Torrance @davidtorrance
    It is kinda ironic that the deeply anti-Tory SNP is largely responsible for, well, a Tory revival in Scotland.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

bobajobPB said:

I'd say that Labour have retreated into strongholds: Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff all looking OK. But they seem on track to lose the Tees Valley metro mayor which should never have been in doubt. The North East looks like a disaster area for Labour. So Corbyn has enough decent areas and results to talk up, with the total meltdown only occurring in certain areas.
    Technically Teesside is not the North East - that was going to be a different Mayoral region but the councils couldn't agree on it - as Sunderland and Gateshead are always worried about a bias towards Newcastle.

Locally the local Labour Councils are suffering from the council cut backs so between that and a lack of effort in getting out the vote I don't think Labour losing it is that big a surprise.

Also given that the main topic seemed to be a local airport that only flies to Amsterdam and Aberdeen I don't think its the most relevant election for most people
  • Options

Heroic spinning from Labour (1): getting shellacked nearly everywhere but bigging up the fact that they survived in bits of South Wales.

Heroic spinning from Labour (2): being shredded by the SNP in Glasgow, but claiming their opponents will have failed if they can't get an absolute majority in a very hard to win STV election.

I think about the only thing they have going for them today is that they're doing miles better than Ukip.

Labour have done quite well in Norfolk!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Sedgefield itself is actually a very pleasant little town , and probably the most Tory part of the constituency of the same name.
  • Options
    Apparently the Conservatives have taken overall control of Derbyshire County Council from Labour.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    The significance of branding it as a Theresa May campaign is that they don't have to go all out negative on Corbyn - every time people hear "Theresa May" they can be left to infer "the other option is Corbyn".
  • Options
    Regretting laying off some of my SCon over 9.5 seats bet now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Apparently the Conservatives have taken overall control of Derbyshire County Council from Labour.

Yep, they are on 35. 34 required for majority.
  • Options

Sedgefield was always a possible Tory win (its a nice enough village that people move there). Trimdon and Fishburn would be the area to watch out for in this election and that constituency...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,018
    edited May 2017

What odds are available for Ruth to be FM? I feel like a crazy bet

That is far worse than crazy , it is stupendously stupid, just burn the money.
  • Options
    Birmingham, yet to declare, has an electorate of 723,000, three times as large as the other authorities #wmmayor
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Roger said:

Imagine if the Lib Dems did a quick leadership shuffle, and then Labour MPs said that Clegg was their choice for PM in a coalition, not Corbyn.
  • Options
    The Zoomers on my timeline seem somewhat perturbed by the current turn of events...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    Jason said:

bobajobPB said:

Yes it is.
    I don't think it is. If Labour lose the mayoraltys (e.g. Manchester) then the pressure really will be back on Corbyn. Doubt that will happen, and not sure what they could do about him anyway.

So far, there's enough 'good' for his fans and wider Labour to point at. And that's probably another victory for the Conservtives today ... ;)
  • Options
    CON also gain East Sussex from NOC.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Just home from work, catching up with the election news on the Beeb.

Observations:

Peter Kellner suggesting that this rivals 1982 (in the midst of the Falklands War) as the best Conservative local government election performance since detailed records began to be kept in the Seventies.

Kellner also suggested that, if we tot up the combined vote for all the left-leaning parties and the combined vote for all the right-leaning parties, a small but measurable right-to-left swing is observable. The problem for the left, of course, is that their vote is much more divided.

Saw latest results from Norfolk - Liberal Democrats gaining vote share but losing councillors, presumably because they are being swamped by a huge Ukip to Con swing. Ill omens there for Norman Lamb.

Ukip dying everywhere. Have heard that they may finally have won a seat up in Burnley, so Ukip=0 not technically accurate, but I think it's going to be pretty close.

LibDem gain Cromer!
    "Kellner also suggested that, if we tot up the combined vote for all the left-leaning parties and the combined vote for all the right-leaning parties, a small but measurable right-to-left swing is observable."

Another predictable comment from yet another left-leaning psephologist!
  • Options
    danielmawbsdanielmawbs Posts: 96
    HYUFD said:

I think Simon may have a narrow lead on first preferences because of the Labour tribal vote in Birmingham and Coventry but Street may win it overall with LD and UKIP preferences but we will see it looks close either way
    I a man offering 4.0 on bf exchange and not getting any takers so the punters don't think it's close

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'm feeling some sympathy for Dianne Abbott and Emily Thornberry. "The girls stood on the burning deck, whence all but they had fled."

Tis only a flash wound

I stood in the polling booth yesterday with my pencil poised over the Ukip candidate and thought "What's the point now?" Ah bless, I decided, and gave them a sympathy vote.

I'm all heart.
  • Options
    DA: "I think the net losses are about 50"
    ITN:"There are actually 125 net losses so far"
    DA: "Last time I looked we had net losses of 100”
  • Options

Not all that bad for him in his own constituency though. Losing South Smallburgh and Sheringham to Tories, but balanced by Cromer and Mundesley going the opposite way. Plus the bonus of picking up Holt from UKIP. Others seem to be going to form. It will be fairly close, but the current bookie odds (Lamb favourite but not hot favourite) seem right in spite of UKIP collapse.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    MTimT said:

Scott_P said:
    Much as I think Diane Abbot deserves pretty much whatever she gets from interviewers, this is a real gotcha question. I hate interviewers who do that - the interview becomes about how smart the interviewer (thinks he/she) is versus informing the public about the issues.

In this case, it is worse. We already know how crap Diane is.
    True, and true, but the issue is it's sinking into the collective consciousness (cf my very apolitical S Wales office, where people are now making numeracy jokes about Ms Abbott), that she/Labour simply don't do numbers and consequently look like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest on competency.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2017

I think about the only thing [Labour] have going for them today is that they're doing miles better than Ukip.

That's their GE slogan sorted then.

"Labour: Not UKIP"
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Scott_P said:
    Once the dust settles it would be interesting to see how the Libdems have done in their target seats and seats they once held. That's all that matters for the GE.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DA: "I think the net losses are about 50"
    ITN:"There are actually 125 net losses so far"
    DA: "Last time I looked we had net losses of 100”

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/860471343338446848
  • Options
    RobD said:

And Norfolk
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    RobD said:

Excellent!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    felix said:

Freggles said:

IanB2 said:

Conservatives ahead on first preferences for the Tees Valley mayoralty

Well, Felix, wherever you are, you were right.

On the plus side, proof Corbyn needs to go!
    I'm just in! Depends on 2nd prefs of course now.
    I can't see LDs splitting enough for Labour to counteract UKIP, especially since the LD candidate took out newspaper ads urging people to use their 2 preferences to unseat Labour!
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited May 2017
    "The vote situation has developed not necessarily to Labours' advantage..."
  • Options
    @Edinburgh_CC: Ward 11 City Centre results: 4 elected
    Karen Doran (Lab)
    Claire Miller (Green)
    Jo Mowat (Con)
    Alasdair Rankin (SNP)
    Turnout 43.7%
    #edincount
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Squeezing the Green vote in Norwich?

I can't see them getting all that far anywhere else.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I a man offering 4.0 on bf exchange and not getting any takers so the punters don't think it's close

Punters on WM Mayor election a rather small pool, basically if Simon wins it will be because of Birmingham if Street wins it will be the outlying authorities which are key
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    Alistair said:

I'm going to be tipster of the year for tipping Tories over 9.5 seats in Scotland at 20/1 if that comes off.

I still think 4 to 6 seats more likely.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sedgefield was always a possible Tory win (its a nice enough village that people move there). Trimdon and Fishburn would be the area to watch out for in this election and that constituency...
    OK: Trimdon = pretty solid Labour wins (3-seats) - about 1400 Labour - 500 UKIP - 580 Tory
  • Options
    edited May 2017

General Election
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    CD13 said:

I'm feeling some sympathy for Dianne Abbott and Emily Thornberry. "The girls stood on the burning deck, whence all but they had fled."

Tis only a flash wound

I stood in the polling booth yesterday with my pencil poised over the Ukip candidate and thought "What's the point now?" Ah bless, I decided, and gave them a sympathy vote.

I'm all heart.

Eek another Corbyn looms
  • Options
    @Edinburgh_CC: Ward 10 – Morningside results: 4 elected
    Nick Cook (Con)
    Melanie Main (Green)
    Neil Ross (Lib Dem)
    Mandy Watt (Lab)
    Turnout 57.3%
    #edincount
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Birmingham part of West Midlands mayoralty count first round: 206k
    Street (Con): 75578
    Simon (Lab): 95098
    LD: 14,840
    Ukip: 7537
    Green: 9787 pic.twitter.com/Omgp2gQvup
  • Options
    @STVColin: Snp lose out to LibDems in Morningside
  • Options
    Birmingham SIMON by 20k
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

The Midlands looks like it will be the Labour bloodbath I was expecting. And it will be worse at the GE. If you were going to devise a political figure designed specifically to repel Midlanders Corbyn would be it. If you didn't get it quite right you'd probably end up with Ed Miliband.

Actually, no - it's mixed. The Tories gained Derbyshire but I think have fallen short in Notts (though 11 seats still to declare), in some cases by large margins, and very nearly lost two in my former patch. They've lost in Coventry but may well win the overall West Mids results. They've piled up lots of votes in seats they already held, but seemingly failed to break through in depressed areas like Mansfield. It's a good Tory result but a reasonable Labour defence so far - but let's see the final results before concluding anything.
  • Options
    LAB: 46.4%
    CON: 36.9%
    LDEM: 7.2%
    GRN: 4.8%
    UKIP: 3.7%

SIMON in the bag
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    IanB2 said:

Birmingham SIMON by 20k

urgh... if labour win there, it will be a good result on a bad day.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

justin124 said:

Yes, Greens have collapsed in Norwich, no chance of them even taking second in June
    Lewis safe as houses
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Alistair said:

I'm going to be tipster of the year for tipping Tories over 9.5 seats in Scotland at 20/1 if that comes off.

I still think 4 to 6 seats more likely.
    I don't, pro union tacticals voting is clear. SCon are going to hoover up votes and are clearly motivated in a way SNP voters are not.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    In the local elections voters are not choosing a Prime Minister, so Corbyn is not a risk factor.

In a GE they are, and that's likely to put more of them off.

So no matter how bad this looks for Labour, it is likely that on June 8th it will be worse.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Also gained from UKIP in Yarmouth.
This discussion has been closed.