Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For LAB the onjective is to avert a Tory landslide – but how

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

PB will be offline for a bit whilst I delete the thread I wrote earlier on this year, tipping Diane Abbott as next Labour leader.

No need to overreact - in a world where they are apparently planning for Corbyn to stay on even if Lab suffer a landslide loss, and would likely win a contest, why not Abbott?
    Where is your evidence that Corbyn would win a contest in the event of a defeat? I believe polling of the selectorate shows otherwise...
    It was a supposition.
    What genuinely puzzles me is why Corbyn is putting himself through this campaign only to face heavy defeat and humiliation. Within four months of the election he will have been ousted - if he fails to stand down. It seems an act of pure masochism which sits alongside his lack of core survival instincts evidenced by his failure to block the election.
    Either he thinks quitting now would be even worse for his cause, or he is hoping like hell for a black swan event, or he genuinely thinks he can win.
    Do you believe he thinks he can conduct a Bernie Sanders campaign?
    I could not begin to guess - Corbyn's entire leadership has defied my view of politics. As I think he would be a terrible PM, and even a reasonable loss would leave him as a terrible opposition leader, I hope that he does not defy my view further by doing ok.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    So weak. Seriously, it's not just that that doesn't work as an attack line, but you can't even reverse engineer it so as to see why anyone would have thought or hoped it might work. May is just resolutely and depressingly (to opponents and caricaturists) normal.
    The best caricature of May is this one:

https://twitter.com/daisynorfolk/status/859141861012901889
    Love it.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

PB will be offline for a bit whilst I delete the thread I wrote earlier on this year, tipping Diane Abbott as next Labour leader.

No need to overreact - in a world where they are apparently planning for Corbyn to stay on even if Lab suffer a landslide loss, and would likely win a contest, why not Abbott?
    Where is your evidence that Corbyn would win a contest in the event of a defeat? I believe polling of the selectorate shows otherwise...
    It was a supposition.
    What genuinely puzzles me is why Corbyn is putting himself through this campaign only to face heavy defeat and humiliation. Within four months of the election he will have been ousted - if he fails to stand down. It seems an act of pure masochism which sits alongside his lack of core survival instincts evidenced by his failure to block the election.
    Either he thinks quitting now would be even worse for his cause, or he is hoping like hell for a black swan event, or he genuinely thinks he can win.
    Or winning a GE isn't the objective.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    If the opposition is crap, the opposition is crap, there is no point imploring the voters to avert a landslide by the PM, ask Hague and Foot how that went!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    calum said:

Willie Rennie campaigning in Leven today.

That looks like his female security detail in the background !!
    Oh I thought that was him trying to pull in the trans vote.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,394
    Omnium said:

spudgfsh said:

No, Labour is not ready for a Blair. They need a Kinnock first, who will be trusted by all factions and who will have the authority and motivation to purge Momentum or convert them to the mainstream.

Kinnock may not have had enough following in the country, but he did in the party. Before the Messiah comes John the Baptist.

That is where I think Kier Starmer is at the moment. While not necessarily 'liked' by all he is not disliked by any.
    Starmer is much like a Milliband, but without the charm.
    Yes, but he can, with the correct support, drag all of labour to a more electable position ready for a new blair (or at least a new Harold WIlson)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Freggles said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

While we marvel at Diane's meltdown, just remember, she is not the worst media performer in the shadow cabinet...

Can we have Lady Emily tomorrow please, I don't think she's yet been asked how she will celebrate her party's proposal for a public holiday on St George's day.
    *whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And lshe's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

What's the price on her, post-Corbyn? Labour's first women leader. I'd go for her, if I were them.
    Come off it mate, white van man loathes her, she'd be as bad as Corbyn
    Thornberry is actually pretty good. And she has a very nice voice. She took a picture of England flags. But there it is.
    She sneered at the working class I think you meant to say
    If you say so. I would say she ripped the piss out of a numbnut who made his house look crap!
    Yes, flying the flag would tend to get some Labour types thinking that.

The rest of us however......
    When did you last have an England flag on your house?
    Probably the last major international footie tournament.

several people in my vicinity have flags on flag poles in Garden and as I walk the dog I see various flags of other nations hanging out of windows.

I don't sneer at any of them, you see the difference?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    spudgfsh said:

No, Labour is not ready for a Blair. They need a Kinnock first, who will be trusted by all factions and who will have the authority and motivation to purge Momentum or convert them to the mainstream.

Kinnock may not have had enough following in the country, but he did in the party. Before the Messiah comes John the Baptist.

That is where I think Kier Starmer is at the moment. While not necessarily 'liked' by all he is not disliked by any.
    Jon Ashworth fits the bill, and Watson has the witchfinders hat. As Deputy he will be interim leader in any post resignation scenario. One important reason Corbyn will not resign upon defeat.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Damn, I really, really want chips now...

True, but what kind of maniac has chips and coffee/tea? :o
    My wife does as long as it's tea and she has not shown any maniac tendencies in the 54 years we have been married
    Hah, probably too strong a word. I still think it is a little odd to have a hot drink with chips.
    My wife drinks tea with everything. Must be to do with her Scottish fishing background.
    Only if I too have a scottish fishing background I am not aware of, or southern small townies have more in common with scottish fishing communities than I realised. Tea goes with everything.
  • Options
    felix said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

While we marvel at Diane's meltdown, just remember, she is not the worst media performer in the shadow cabinet...

Can we have Lady Emily tomorrow please, I don't think she's yet been asked how she will celebrate her party's proposal for a public holiday on St George's day.
    *whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And lshe's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

What's the price on her, post-Corbyn? Labour's first women leader. I'd go for her, if I were them.
    Thornberry is actually pretty good. And she has a very nice voice. She took a picture of England flags. But there it is.
    If you say so. I would say she ripped the piss out of a numbnut who made his house look crap!
    And this is why Labout are the wrong party for the proletariat - they basically can't stand the f*****s.
    They just can't help themselves.

They apparently hate the working class and have taken them for granted.

Don has strong feelings about taking people for granted...........
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Will the Isle of Man leave the customs union?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    Or winning a GE isn't the objective.
    That is so insane I hope it is not true.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

The word associated with her is sneering, exactly the attitude that repulses labour voters about tories. Thornberry will win votes in London but outside of there she'd be a disaster.

She's the epitome of labour's demise
    She has her downsides. But compared to rest of the Corbynistas she is a mistress of excellence.
    Yes, that is the point. Ideally for Labour, post-Corbyn, there would be a superb Blair like candidate, adored by the membership, ready to take over. But there isn't. Nowhere near. Starmer is a robot, he's really not a leader. Jarvis is lightweight. Cooper has no chance with the members - too right wing, too Blairy.

So you must search for someone - anyone! - closer to Corbyn. That's when Thornberry makes a bit of sense. She very probably won't win a GE, but she could be a Howard character, who makes the party seem electable and sensible, at some point in the future.

But then again, I am mildly drunk.

Labour need a Kinnock or Howard someone like Starmer before they can elect a Blair or Cameron like Umunna
    They need Simon Danczuk.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,394
    Cyan said:

Will the Isle of Man leave the customs union?

I'm not sure that it was in it to begin with. It was explicitly excluded (along with the channel islands) from the UK entry to the EEC
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    Do you believe he thinks he can conduct a Bernie Sanders campaign?
    I could not begin to guess - Corbyn's entire leadership has defied my view of politics. As I think he would be a terrible PM, and even a reasonable loss would leave him as a terrible opposition leader, I hope that he does not defy my view further by doing ok.
    I still cannot get my head around why he meekly bowed to May's wishes to provide the 434 votes needed for an early Dissoloution. Had he blocked her - and she wished to continue with her election plans - he could now have been PM for ten days and be about to submit his Government for the Affirmative Confidence Vote. He would have lost that, but the constitutional chaos would have totally changed the dynamics of the election.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

The word associated with her is sneering, exactly the attitude that repulses labour voters about tories. Thornberry will win votes in London but outside of there she'd be a disaster.

She has her downsides. But compared to rest of the Corbynistas she is a mistress of excellence.
    Yes, that is the point. Ideally for Labour, post-Corbyn, there would be a superb Blair like candidate, adored by the membership, ready to take over. But there isn't. Nowhere near. Starmer is a robot, he's really not a leader. Jarvis is lightweight. Cooper has no chance with the members - too right wing, too Blairy.

So you must search for someone - anyone! - closer to Corbyn. That's when Thornberry makes a bit of sense. She very probably won't win a GE, but she could be a Howard character, who makes the party seem electable and sensible, at some point in the future.

Labour need a Kinnock or Howard someone like Starmer before they can elect a Blair or Cameron like Umunna
    They need Simon Danczuk.
    Danczuk would be better than Corbyn certainly but is too Ukippy for the Labour membership
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

My wife does as long as it's tea and she has not shown any maniac tendencies in the 54 years we have been married
    Hah, probably too strong a word. I still think it is a little odd to have a hot drink with chips.
    My wife drinks tea with everything. Must be to do with her Scottish fishing background.
    Only if I too have a scottish fishing background I am not aware of, or southern small townies have more in common with scottish fishing communities than I realised. Tea goes with everything.
    It has been a lifetime obsession for my dear lady and to be honest, we both prefer tea to most any other drink
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Yes, tha

How much booze have you had?!

Who will be left standing? Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting? The party of Attlee and Bevan. Enough to make you weep.
    Madam, I am just trying to help. Seriously. I do this pro bono. You could do worse than Thornberry. She's reasonably telegenic, and articulate and certainly smart. And she would be acceptable to the left and right of your party, I suspect.

You lack alternatives. You're in a bit of a state (in case you hadn't noticed).

I have no personal interest in seeing Labour prosper, indeed I'd be rather happy if your party died, and was replaced by the liberals.

I'm just giving you my honest opinion, as a political observer. And now, Masterchef. Anon!
    I'm not a Labourite any more, but I do despair at the state of them. I re-watched Election 97 over the last few days and it was depressing to compare then to now, for them and for the country.

I wish John Smith hadn't passed away when he did. I wish Charlie Kennedy was still with us, but we are where we are.

Enjoy Masterchef - Lorna to win.
  • Options
    calum said:

Willie Rennie campaigning in Leven today.

That looks like his female security detail in the background !!
    Just look at the name of the shop in background

Carry on mode off :-)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,392
    Have finally got in and caught up on some of the previous pieces on the good Ms Abbot. Very funny, but since we already knew Labour were led by a bunch of intellectually addled has beens (or in the case of Rayner, Smith and Long-Bailey, never weres) who haven't got a clue what they're talking about, I'm not sure it gets us much further forward. However, could be a new Tory slogan - vote Labour to go back to the sweated trades of the 1820s.

What's really quite worrying is that there are five more weeks of this.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,053
    chestnut said:

Emily Thornberry manages to combine the look and sound of a snooty Tory with the CV and politics of an Islington socialist.

and the intellect of.....a gold fish?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    So weak. Seriously, it's not just that that doesn't work as an attack line, but you can't even reverse engineer it so as to see why anyone would have thought or hoped it might work. May is just resolutely and depressingly (to opponents and caricaturists) normal.

That is brilliant - but funny and not damaging.

The big TMay story this morning, heavily tweeted, was about her incarcerating the press in a black hole in Falmouth and not taking questions from them. This story has melted away like snow in springtime and my guess is @Sandpit was spot on in his armchair deduction that this was one local journalist with no experience beyond covering sheep-rapist trials at Truro Crown Court, to whom "accreditation" was an unknown concept. Another attacker desperately scrabbling for a hold on Mount May, failing and falling screaming to her death.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I disagree with Don Brind, the objective of moderate, sane Labour should be to sit on their hands and ensure a Tory landslide of at least 100+ seats which can all be blamed on Corbynism. That would then give the likes of Keir Starmer the chance of a successful leadership challenge post defeat. If May only gets a majority of 50-100 or even less Corbyn can say he won the expectations game but was undermined by Blairites and has a good chance of being reelected.

However the line 'there is no one on the Labour side who specialises in Fallonic thuggery' is hilarious, no names mentioned Messrs Campbell, Mandelson, Brown, Balls, Whelan and McBride

No one mentions Draper, remember him?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Keith Vaz has a large but faded England flag flying on his Uppingham rd office. No Labour posters etc though.

Times must be tough in the washing machine business.

Any sign of those nice silk cushions we paid for?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Floater said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And she's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

Not as bad. She'd had some bad moments, to be sure, but I think she has greater substance and quality than Corbyn.
    Youtube have "Gaffe-Offs" between her and Diane!

"Returning ISIS fighters should be allowed back in the country" top trumps "White people divide and rule"

It's a score draw on the hypocrisy over their children's schooling I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWk29MhTb-g&t=692s
    Ouch ouch ouch - I couldn't watch it to the end that was toe curling
    Well you missed Andrew Neals blond look ;-)
  • Options

chestnut said:

Emily Thornberry manages to combine the look and sound of a snooty Tory with the CV and politics of an Islington socialist.

Mr Urquhart, that is a very offensive remark. Please withdraw it in case a goldfish sees it and is upset.

Sadly, that isn't a joke.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Umunna will never be leader. Out he went in 2015 and that was that.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    A Conservative parliamentary candidate has attracted derision after suggesting that voters in his constituency cannot consider themselves working class if they drink Costa coffee.

Anthony Calvert, who was confirmed as the Tory candidate for Wakefield at the general election last week, recounted a hostile encounter with a voter at the town's train station.

"Man recognises me at Wakefield Westgate. 'These f*ckin Tories, always looking to trample on t'working class, like me'. Man walks into Costa," he tweeted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/anthony-calvert-wakefield-tory-candidate-criticises-voter-for-drinking-coffee-a7714336.html
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

calum said:

kle4 said:

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

Decapitation strikes only work when you keep it secret and don't blab about it to the world.
    The woman's not perfect- they do seem to be getting carried away a bit. Before the announcement 3-4 would have been a great result, and technically still would be, but they'll want so much more.

Has she confirmed she's not leaving Holyrood for a Westminster seat yet?
    That would be a gift to the SNP - so I don't think she'll stand
    Well indeed - she seems like she'd have a bright career in Westminster, and she could argue with the SCON revival (they are second, albeit distant second, inHolyrood) that others can continue the fight there, but it would make it seem like they were all just waiting for 'proper' jobs in London.
    Which is exactly why I think she should/will stay in Scotland.
    You're probably right but from a UK point of view it's a great shame. She seem to be one of the very few really talented and intelligent politicians from any party.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Wouldn't dare where I live ;-)
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree with Don Brind, the objective of moderate, sane Labour should be to sit on their hands and ensure a Tory landslide of at least 100+ seats which can all be blamed on Corbynism. That would then give the likes of Keir Starmer the chance of a successful leadership challenge post defeat. If May only gets a majority of 50-100 or even less Corbyn can say he won the expectations game but was undermined by Blairites and has a good chance of being reelected.

However the line 'there is no one on the Labour side who specialises in Fallonic thuggery' is hilarious, no names mentioned Messrs Campbell, Mandelson, Brown, Balls, Whelan and McBride

Yes, him too
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

This is good too;

https://www.facebook.com/BritishProgressiveFront/videos/122254621660175/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Yes, tha

How much booze have you had?!

Who will be left standing? Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting? The party of Attlee and Bevan. Enough to make you weep.
    Madam, I am just trying to help. Seriously. I do this pro bono. You could do worse than Thornberry. She's reasonably telegenic, and articulate and certainly smart. And she would be acceptable to the left and right of your party, I suspect.

You lack alternatives. You're in a bit of a state (in case you hadn't noticed).

I have no personal interest in seeing Labour prosper, indeed I'd be rather happy if your party died, and was replaced by the liberals.

I'm just giving you my honest opinion, as a political observer. And now, Masterchef. Anon!
    I'm not a Labourite any more, but I do despair at the state of them. I re-watched Election 97 over the last few days and it was depressing to compare then to now, for them and for the country.

I wish John Smith hadn't passed away when he did. I wish Charlie Kennedy was still with us, but we are where we are.

Enjoy Masterchef - Lorna to win.
    We certainly don't want to see the return of a Blairite war criminal type as leader.
  • Options
    Labour is expecting to spend less than half as much as the Tories on the general election campaign amid a drive for money donations from its 500,000 members.

Insiders said Labour had already raised around £3.8m for a possible poll when Theresa May announced a snap election two weeks ago. The party added that it had since received £1m in small donations.

Fundraising efforts will continue among union backers and its members. Officials hope this will bring at least another £3m. But private donations from wealthy figures have failed to materialise, Labour insiders said.

The Conservatives consistently spend close to the £19m general election spending limit, and are currently in the middle of a spending drive among their wealthy donors.

One Labour insider said their party would probably raise £7m in total, £5m less than in the 2015 general election under Ed Miliband.

“We are going to be outspent. Even if we had got to 2020, we would have been outspent. It is a reality of life now that the Tories can raise much more money at short notice for a short campaign,” a source said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/02/labour-expects-to-spend-less-than-half-tories-on-general-election-2017-campaign?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

They need Simon Danczuk.
    Danczuk would be better than Corbyn certainly but is too Ukippy for the Labour membership
    Most Labour voters voted Remain, and some of the most Remain seats in the country. Going too kipper risks losing the rest of the party.

FWIW: Ronaldo's second goal of his hatrick is magnificent. They made Athletico look pedestrian, and Athletico were better than any PL team that I have seen this season in the PL.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Keith Vaz has a large but faded England flag flying on his Uppingham rd office. No Labour posters etc though.

Bitten right through I'm afraid..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

chestnut said:

Mr Urquhart, that is a very offensive remark. Please withdraw it in case a goldfish sees it and is upset.

Sadly, that isn't a joke.
    It ok the goldfish will forget they were offended within a few seconds...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

My wife drinks tea with everything. Must be to do with her Scottish fishing background. I was once out in a Seiner from Lossiemouth and the teapot went on the stove on leaving the harbour and stayed on throughout the whole three day trip
    My Dad swears by Morrish's fish and chips in Redruth. Says they're the best in the world. That's where his working class parents would go for a feast.

They're not the best. This is the best fish and chips in the world

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d7130836-Reviews-Hook_Camden_Town-London_England.html

But anyway, the fact is at Morrish's you can still get fish, chips, bread and butter, and a hot pot of tea. That was very standard fodder for many British working class people into recent memory.

My wife's mother would cook the haddock straight off the Seiner and it was unbeatable in taste and flavour. When I went to Australia and New Zealand they had fabulous fish and chips, and yes with a cup of tea
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

He was in the papers not long ago

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2901420/kate-garraway-reveals-her-startling-14-day-sex-challenge-as-she-admits-she-has-considered-botox/

Not sure he can make any sort of political comeback after that!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

Labour is expecting to spend less than half as much as the Tories on the general election campaign amid a drive for money donations from its 500,000 members.

Insiders said Labour had already raised around £3.8m for a possible poll when Theresa May announced a snap election two weeks ago. The party added that it had since received £1m in small donations.

Fundraising efforts will continue among union backers and its members. Officials hope this will bring at least another £3m. But private donations from wealthy figures have failed to materialise, Labour insiders said.

The Conservatives consistently spend close to the £19m general election spending limit, and are currently in the middle of a spending drive among their wealthy donors.

One Labour insider said their party would probably raise £7m in total, £5m less than in the 2015 general election under Ed Miliband.

“We are going to be outspent. Even if we had got to 2020, we would have been outspent. It is a reality of life now that the Tories can raise much more money at short notice for a short campaign,” a source said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/02/labour-expects-to-spend-less-than-half-tories-on-general-election-2017-campaign?CMP=twt_gu

Let's hope the Tories have more competent accountants this time. :p
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

They need Simon Danczuk.
    There isn't enough popcorn in the UK to see me though a Danczuk leadership. But in a weird way, I'd like to see it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

What happened to all that nonsense about Labour being loaded because of being the biggest party in Europe? I am guessing all these Moamentumers still only get limited allowances and their trust funds are locked away from them.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

My wife drinks tea with everything. Must be to do with her Scottish fishing background. I was once out in a Seiner from Lossiemouth and the teapot went on the stove on leaving the harbour and stayed on throughout the whole three day trip
    Tea is the drink of the gods. You, sir, are lucky to have a wife with such good taste!
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: Why's TMay been campaigning in N Cornwall with an 8k CON majority over LDs?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Wouldn't dare where I live ;-)
    Yet in this rabid xenophobic hell hole we call England people can fly flags of many nations without fear.

Not exactly the message remain would like you have is it.
  • Options

Should that be a 'fundraising drive?'

I'm also curious -Labour made a huge profit last year on the leadership election. Where did all that money go? Or was it spent on clearing its earlier huge debts?
  • Options

That's good, they can blame a loss on the rigged system.

On the same basis it works for Corbyn if the CPS charges a bunch of Tories or not - if they do, then look at those corrupt Tories, if they don't, look at the rigged system letting corrupt Tories get away with it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @AllieHBNews: Wed FT: "EU raises UK Brexit bill to €100bn as Paris and Berlin harden stance" #bbcpapers #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/859508270469443584/photo/1
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

My Dad swears by Morrish's fish and chips in Redruth. Says they're the best in the world. That's where his working class parents would go for a feast.

They're not the best. This is the best fish and chips in the world

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d7130836-Reviews-Hook_Camden_Town-London_England.html

But anyway, the fact is at Morrish's you can still get fish, chips, bread and butter, and a hot pot of tea. That was very standard fodder for many British working class people into recent memory.

The one on Upper St is very good - used to be called The Fish & Chip Shop I think (seems to be called Salt now, haven't been since name change)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,475
    chestnut said:

Which isn't surprising as both her parents were Labour activists, her father was a human rights lawyer / academic / United Nations Assistant Secretary General and her mother was Mayor of Guildford.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Bitten right through I'm afraid..
    Whatever do you mean sir :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

@AllieHBNews: Wed FT: "EU raises UK Brexit bill to €100bn as Paris and Berlin harden stance" #bbcpapers #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/859508270469443584/photo/1

FT - bad Brexit news...rinse and repeat...rinse and repeat....they rinse and repeat the same stuff as often as Kim Jong May says strong and stable.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

I totally see what people mean when they say we (and that is, May) are the the only ones being unreasonable and obstructive here.

They know goddamn well what the response to that would be.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Matt...

• Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 450
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

That is brilliant - but funny and not damaging.

The big TMay story this morning, heavily tweeted, was about her incarcerating the press in a black hole in Falmouth and not taking questions from them. This story has melted away like snow in springtime and my guess is @Sandpit was spot on in his armchair deduction that this was one local journalist with no experience beyond covering sheep-rapist trials at Truro Crown Court, to whom "accreditation" was an unknown concept. Another attacker desperately scrabbling for a hold on Mount May, failing and falling screaming to her death.
    Loved this. At the moment watching the other parties try to dislodge May is like watching two paintballing teams where one team has run out of paint...
  • Options
    felix said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

And this is why Labout are the wrong party for the proletariat - they basically can't stand the f*****s.
    Not really. The guy was a bit of a plum, making his house look like that. Not really in any way representive of 'the proletariat' or anything much at all. It was a bit daft of Thornberry to tweet it however!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

They need Simon Danczuk.
    Most Labour voters voted Remain, and some of the most Remain seats in the country. Going too kipper risks losing the rest of the party.

FWIW: Ronaldo's second goal of his hatrick is magnificent. They made Athletico look pedestrian, and Athletico were better than any PL team that I have seen this season in the PL.
    Ronaldo is amazing - he has killed the tie single handed
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,213
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I totally see what people mean when they say we (and that is, May) are the the only ones being unreasonable and obstructive here.

Perhaps TMay's told them she'll pay €60bn but needs to give the impression of beating them down a bit.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The FT is turning into the Daily Express - it's going to snow, you're all going to die!!
  • Options

@MSmithsonPB: Why's TMay been campaigning in N Cornwall with an 8k CON majority over LDs?

Coming from a lib dem (not you Eagles) - lol
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps TMay's told them she'll pay €60bn but needs to give the impression of beating them down a bit.
    If so, then well played EU.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Ronaldo is older than Rooney...one is always in peak condition and still top of the world, the other has spent the past 10 years overweight, getting drunk and puffing on fags...you can't tell can you.

They should show the comparison to kids when they are 16 and thinking they might make it.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Nothing to add to the consensus about Labour being crap, so I will just say that I can only drink water with fish and chips. No booze goes with it, and tea seems odd, sorry... :-)

• Options

Well in hindsight, Ed Miliband campaigning in North Warks was a tell tale sign that Labour were going to lose.

Ditto Hillary's campaign schedule.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Tea is the drink of the gods. You, sir, are lucky to have a wife with such good taste!
    I am indeed
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The FT is turning into the Daily Express - it's going to snow, you're all going to die!!

Even the Daily Express vary between Diana, the weather and illegal immigrants.
  • Options
    Another straw in the wind for the future of the EU? Alitalia in administration (no great surprise I guess)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39780604
  • Options

Well in hindsight, Ed Miliband campaigning in North Warks was a tell tale sign that Labour were going to lose.

Ditto Hillary's campaign schedule.
    I think it is a little different 5 weeks out and during the last 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

To preserve her 8k majority over LDs.

Next?
  • Options
    Wow, 100 bn Euros. Yeah, that's not going to happen!
  • Options

Another straw in the wind for the future of the EU? Alitalia in administration (no great surprise I guess)

Oh shitty shit shit, I am suppose to be flying with them in a few weeks.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,786
    RobD said:

It's starting to sound a little like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 450

chestnut said:

Don't forget Alzheimer 'breakthroughs'...
  • Options
    I actually agree with Diane Abbott on one thing.

Her credibility is not damaged by this episode.

You cannot damage something that didn't exist in the first place.
  • Options

Oh shitty shit shit, I am suppose to be flying with them in a few weeks.
    Unions again digging their own graves 'Last week, airline employees voted against a plan to cut jobs and salaries that would have allowed it to secure new funds.
    Alitalia said in a statement that Italian shareholders and Etihad, the Abu Dhabi airline that owns 49% of Alitalia, had been "committed to recapitalise and finance the plan with 2bn euros".
    But without the approval of workers, the plan could not go ahead, the airline said.'
  • Options

RobD said:

It's starting to sound a little like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY
    Yeah, it's not helpful. At least we are finding out the bounds of the problem (0-100).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783

It shows they are finally going to let uneconomic businesses fold?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ridiculous. They know we won;t just meekly hand over €100bn for nothing.

We need to wait until not only our election but Merkel's is over. Then everyone can stop the silly posturing and have a grown up negotiation
  • Options
    edited May 2017

A Conservative parliamentary candidate has attracted derision after suggesting that voters in his constituency cannot consider themselves working class if they drink Costa coffee.

Anthony Calvert, who was confirmed as the Tory candidate for Wakefield at the general election last week, recounted a hostile encounter with a voter at the town's train station.

"Man recognises me at Wakefield Westgate. 'These f*ckin Tories, always looking to trample on t'working class, like me'. Man walks into Costa," he tweeted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/anthony-calvert-wakefield-tory-candidate-criticises-voter-for-drinking-coffee-a7714336.html

He's managing director of a PR company too, that works promoting property developments to nearby residents. You'd have thought he might have a clue about how people in the general population actually see themselves, where they drink coffee, etc. Perhaps he thinks real working class people only ever drink at caffs and social clubs. The poor guy has increased the perception of himself he was trying to squash.
  • Options

Ronaldo is older than Rooney...one is always in peak condition and still top of the world, the other has spent the past 10 years overweight, getting drunk and puffing on fags...you can't tell can you.

They should show the comparison to kids when they are 16 and thinking they might make it.
    Ronaldo is also a continental metrosexual, Rooney is a typical northerner
  • Options
    Quick question for the PB Tories. Are they enjoying this election? To me, it is like 2001 in reverse, and 2001 was the dullest election of modern times.

I am fucking BORED. Will someone do something interesting? Labour have the potential to stage a hilarious rebellion against the quarterwits who are leading the party towards oblivion, but so far NOTHING. If Diane's maths, speculation about Emily being leader, and Cruella gags about May are all we have, I think we can safely conclude that this election is SHITE.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,475
    edited May 2017

Perhaps you could explain to Mike that the Conservatives have all the seats in Cornwall - so any visit by May will be in Conservative seats with hefty majorities.

Although I thought the visit focused on St Ives constituency ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Even 50 billion isn't going to happen but all that they are achieving is to create the conditions of a landslide and possibly, more importantly, destroy any chance the remainers and lib dems will have of getting a hearing .

Sky now on again with Abbott. This does remind me of the Gillian Duffy moment with Gordon Brown from which he never recovered
  • Options
    Cyan said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Umunna will never be leader. Out he went in 2015 and that was that.

I disagree, he was sensible in retrospect to duck the 2015 leadership contest which he would have lost to Corbyn come 2022 the time may be right for him
  • Options
    I also managed to miss nearly all the football as in the office until 8pm. Missed all the goals, now listening to Macca warbling on.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If this is true - if! - it's more evidence that the EU have no intention of negotiating and intend to abandon talks very quickly.

You cannot ask for a figure based on a long-agreed budget (which would be a reasonable position) and then suddenly say an extra 67% was there and had only just been noticed. You look like either a crook or a moron (or both).

In fact, they are looking more and more like the dubious client out for a fast buck who's been got at by a no-win, no fee shark, who demands the highest figure and doesn't care when the judge actually starts laughing.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

To preserve her 8k majority over LDs.

Next?
    lol

It's on THE LIST.

http://www.markpack.org.uk/139895/conservative-mps-election-expenses-investigation-police/

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783
    Scott_P said:

I suspect beyond a certain point - say about €35bn - it becomes somewhat irrelevant, because Mrs May will simply say "no".

Crashing out to WTO (which disallows discriminatory tariffs) would obviously not be very good for the UK economy. But nor would it be good for the EU economy.
  • Options

Nothing to add to the consensus about Labour being crap, so I will just say that I can only drink water with fish and chips. No booze goes with it, and tea seems odd, sorry... :-)

Weirdly, very dry cider goes okay with it. Tea is best however.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598

Scott_P said:

Ridiculous. They know we won;t just meekly hand over €100bn for nothing.

We need to wait until not only our election but Merkel's is over. Then everyone can stop the silly posturing and have a grown up negotiation
    Maybe we should counter with minus 50bn ?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Quick question for the PB Tories. Are they enjoying this election? To me, it is like 2001 in reverse, and 2001 was the dullest election of modern times.

I am fucking BORED. Will someone do something interesting? Labour have the potential to stage a hilarious rebellion against the quarterwits who are leading the party towards oblivion, but so far NOTHING. If Diane's maths, speculation about Emily being leader, and Cruella gags about May are all we have, I think we can safely conclude that this election is SHITE.

I am excited to an extent (have just come back from canvassing a council seat the Tories are trying to take off the LDs), the Tories have not had a 100+majority since 1987, 30 years ago which I was too young to remember, Labour had one in 2001 just 16 years ago which I remember well but for the wrong reasons, canvassing in Leamington as a student and watching the Labour MP increase his majority
  • Options

Perhaps you could explain to Mike that the Conservatives have all the seats in Cornwall - so any visit by May will be in Conservative seats with hefty majorities.

Although I thought the visit focused on St Ives constituency ?
    Mike post like he's worried ;-)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The paper published today by the Irish government strongly infers that many of the stories in the press are absolute nonsense.

• Options

chestnut said:

Don't forget Alzheimer 'breakthroughs'...
    I had forgotten that....

...Tumbleweed...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    ydoethur said:

If this is true - if! - it's more evidence that the EU have no intention of negotiating and intend to abandon talks very quickly.

You cannot ask for a figure based on a long-agreed budget (which would be a reasonable position) and then suddenly say an extra 67% was there and had only just been noticed. You look like either a crook or a moron (or both).

I wonder how much of this is driven by the EU's desire to finesse the issue of the shortfall by getting the UK to pay in for as long as possible? So it's not necessarily anything that May or the UK government has said, but perhaps an unwillingness by EU member states to dig deep into their own pockets.
  • Options
    Yep - all the nastiness coming from the EU side.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Peter Kay sticking to his tried and trusted model....

Peter Kay has said there will be no more episodes of TV sitcom Car Share. There will be no series three and no Christmas specials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39780365
This discussion has been closed.