Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For LAB the onjective is to avert a Tory landslide – but how

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,155

DavidL said:

I was at a dinner party in Edinburgh recently. One of the guests has a brother who was a big cheese in some inquiry, might have been historic sex or something like that. He had to work closely with TM as Home Secretary. He said his brother's overwhelming impression of May was her honesty and focus on the truth.

TBH I was quite startled. Honesty and politican in the same sentence and no negative; it was a bit weird so I queried it: really? But he was adamant, his brother says she is a deeply honest person guided by quite a profound faith. Of course we all know where profound faith ends up; with 1m dead in Iraq. But still, it made me think. It is so easy to think the worst of those daft enough to offer themselves up to public life. Maybe we have got her wrong?

Errh, I'm not a Conservative but you are, "we" haven't got her wrong, she is about to win a massive majority in a snap election.

Like her or not she deserves credit and respect.
    Her honesty, or not (as Don is keen to have Labour focus on) is not the reason for being about to win, not exactly, I don't think. Perceived competence, stability, particularly in relation to the opposition, more than personal honesty.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,177
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

While we marvel at Diane's meltdown, just remember, she is not the worst media performer in the shadow cabinet...

Can we have Lady Emily tomorrow please, I don't think she's yet been asked how she will celebrate her party's proposal for a public holiday on St George's day.
    *whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And she's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

What's the price on her, post-Corbyn? Labour's first women leader. I'd go for her, if I were them.
    23 on Betfair for next Lab leader, which feels about right given she's in the inner circle of Corbyn.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28051208/market?marketId=1.120629096
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

While we marvel at Diane's meltdown, just remember, she is not the worst media performer in the shadow cabinet...

Can we have Lady Emily tomorrow please, I don't think she's yet been asked how she will celebrate her party's proposal for a public holiday on St George's day.
    *whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And she's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

What's the price on her, post-Corbyn? Labour's first women leader. I'd go for her, if I were them.
    Come off it mate, white van man loathes her, she'd be as bad as Corbyn
    Not as bad. She'd had some bad moments, to be sure, but I think she has greater substance and quality than Corbyn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,382
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

I suspect Thornberry pushes the buttons of a large segment of the population. She's also able to pull off a kind of imperial British pride that fits the Zeitgeist more authentically than Labour pretending to be UKIP.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And lshe's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

Thornberry is actually pretty good. And she has a very nice voice. She took a picture of England flags. But there it is.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Scott_P said:

Corbyn personally tied to every failure. https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/859440337017819138

Wow - that is powerful stuff. any Labour candidate who fails to publicly disown this lot is part of it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Not as bad. She'd had some bad moments, to be sure, but I think she has greater substance and quality than Corbyn.
    Youtube have "Gaffe-Offs" between her and Diane!

"Returning ISIS fighters should be allowed back in the country" top trumps "White people divide and rule"

It's a score draw on the hypocrisy over their children's schooling I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWk29MhTb-g&t=692s
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,824
    Scott_P said:

@George_Osborne: There used to be one edition but we're going to be running two editions during the election, to get reaction to new… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/859494306293448706

However, they are going to increase the price by 50%.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

Corbyn personally tied to every failure. https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/859440337017819138

God, it's worse every time - so hesitant and stumbling (when she apparently got it right other times). And coming across worse off when facing off against Piers Morgan? Ugh.

She must be an incredible local MP, as she's safe as houses. (Yes, it's a safe seat, but she hasn't been so bad it makes it in play)
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus. That's brutal. Is that a Facebook attack ad?

I know from my recent forays into high level marketing that Facebook ads are hugely important. They get shared. They go viral. They impact. More than TV, arguably. Certainly more than posters
    The problem can be though that they get shared amongst like minded individuals and don't get get seen as much by the required audience
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,856
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

God, it's worse every time - so hesitant and stumbling (when she apparently got it right other times)

She must be an incredible local MP, as she's safe as houses.
    Incredible, yes.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Thornberry is actually much more impressive, and rather clever, and handles questions well. And lshe's not helplessly posh. Labour could do worse, as they steer away from Corbyn.

Thornberry is actually pretty good. And she has a very nice voice. She took a picture of England flags. But there it is.
    She isn't . She hasn't. I'd be very relaxed about her leading the Labour party. :)
  • Options
    Sandy

As it is free, it would still be free.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

The word associated with her is sneering, exactly the attitude that repulses labour voters about tories. Thornberry will win votes in London but outside of there she'd be a disaster.

She's the epitome of labour's demise
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@George_Osborne: There used to be one edition but we're going to be running two editions during the election, to get reaction to new… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/859494306293448706

However, they are going to increase the price by 50%.
    So still free then?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus. That's brutal. Is that a Facebook attack ad?

I know from my recent forays into high level marketing that Facebook ads are hugely important. They get shared. They go viral. They impact. More than TV, arguably. Certainly more than posters
    The problem can be though that they get shared amongst like minded individuals and don't get get seen as much by the required audience
    Quite so. But a certain amount of this stuff filters through to the less engaged and the wavering, in message if not in the precise form.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

She sneered at the working class I think you meant to say
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,648

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

The word associated with her is sneering, exactly the attitude that repulses labour voters about tories. Thornberry will win votes in London but outside of there she'd be a disaster.

I agree, on TV she is very voter repellent.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,840
    PB will be offline for a bit whilst I delete the thread I wrote earlier on this year, tipping Diane Abbott as next Labour leader.
  • Options
    Thornberry had this to say re Abbott

We've all been there. The truth is that people want politicians to be people - but they also expect us to be super-human and we're not, and we will make mistakes at times. What can you do?"

That's a measured, reasonable statement. One thing you can do is not throw a wobbler and blame the media and your opponents for questioning you about your horrible performance. Diane obviously disagrees.
  • Options
    Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

If you say so. I would say she ripped the piss out of a numbnut who made his house look crap!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

My Labour voting, trade union member Dad saw her talk about letting ISIS fighters back in the country with his jaw on the deck
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055
    Thornberry is about two stone superior to the 46 rated grade 7 knackers yard ready that Corbyn is. Abbott would be around 40 on this scale.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

She has her downsides. But compared to rest of the Corbynistas she is a mistress of excellence.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

PB will be offline for a bit whilst I delete the thread I wrote earlier on this year, tipping Diane Abbott as next Labour leader.

Depending on how many Labour MPs are left after June, who says she won't be?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055
    edited May 2017

I don't think she's out of that race yet. For one thing, she'll have a seat on June 9th.
  • Options

Europe Needs Us
    Keep Them Honest
    A British Europe

Surely the first and third are in essense the delusion which lay behind our joining the Common Market in the first place. It seems tacit in the speeches from that time that Britain would provide the leadership which our less fortunate bretheren over the water so rightly craved.

• Options
    bobajobPB said:

Sandy

As it is free, it would still be free.

No fooling you, Mr Job!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

I know it's left field, but you have to consider the alternatives. And Labour will still have a very leftwing membership, who get to choose.

Thornberry is cleverly positioned (i.e. Islington friend of Corbyn, but not insane commie) to gently lead Labour back to an electable state. And she's clever. And she's a woman. And she's quite good on TV. Tick tick tick.

Her political opinions are pretty neutral, on analysis.

It is indeed true that she is not a far left crazy, in her politics. Yet seen as a Corbyn loyalist. Interesting bet.
  • Options

No need to overreact - in a world where they are apparently planning for Corbyn to stay on even if Lab suffer a landslide loss, and would likely win a contest, why not Abbott?
  • Options
    calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

Decapitation strikes only work when you keep it secret and don't blab about it to the world.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

If you say so. I would say she ripped the piss out of a numbnut who made his house look crap!
    She said she wasn't mocking them. She is a liar then?
  • Options
    calum said:
    Sadly, these attempts rarely work against parties at or near their peak. In fact I think it's counterproductive when it's known publicly that that is the aim.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Youtube have "Gaffe-Offs" between her and Diane!

"Returning ISIS fighters should be allowed back in the country" top trumps "White people divide and rule"

It's a score draw on the hypocrisy over their children's schooling I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWk29MhTb-g&t=692s
    Ouch ouch ouch - I couldn't watch it to the end that was toe curling
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

No need to overreact - in a world where they are apparently planning for Corbyn to stay on even if Lab suffer a landslide loss, and would likely win a contest, why not Abbott?
    But he wouldn't win such a contest! More likely to be humiliated.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Where is your evidence that Corbyn would win a contest in the event of a defeat? I believe polling of the selectorate shows otherwise...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Thornberry is about two stone superior to the 46 rated grade 7 knackers yard ready that Corbyn is. Abbott would be around 40 on this scale.

I think I have backed her actually!

Not exactly gone for it here

Back (Bet For)
    Chuka Umunna
    26.00 £14.13 £353.25
    Emily Thornberry
    34.00 £2.04 £67.32
    Ed Balls
    185.67 £20.00 £3,693.30
    Ed Miliband
    350.55 £31.00 £10,836.00
    £67.17

Lay (Bet Against)
    Clive Lewis
    7.60 £2.00 £13.20
    Rebecca Long-Bailey
    10.15 £20.00 £183.00 .
    Ed Balls
    76.01 £5.00 £375.05 .
    £27.00
  • Options

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

Decapitation strikes only work when you keep it secret and don't blab about it to the world.
    The woman's not perfect- they do seem to be getting carried away a bit. Before the announcement 3-4 would have been a great result, and technically still would be, but they'll want so much more.

Has she confirmed she's not leaving Holyrood for a Westminster seat yet?
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

She has her downsides. But compared to rest of the Corbynistas she is a mistress of excellence.
    She may be more competent than the others but she is grotesque. A preening, condescending slug of a creature who encapsulates all the worst traits of metropolitan Labour and their lack of contact with the working classes. I'd prefer Corbyn.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

A good thing you're so confident. WIth the current membership it's hard to say sometimes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Abbott has run for the leadership before. She was the Liz Kendall of the 2010 election.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

Another measure of SCON's success or lack thereof established - her call to arms of the UK loving Remainers is quite touching !!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Abbott has run for the leadership before. She was the Liz Kendall of the 2010 election.
    Not so - Kendall earned her nominations, Abbott explicitly only got enough because McDonnell pulled out and told his backers to back her so a woman would be on the ballot.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Yes, flying the flag would tend to get some Labour types thinking that.

The rest of us however......
  • Options
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

My Labour voting, trade union member Dad saw her talk about letting ISIS fighters back in the country with his jaw on the deck
    She's completely lacking in the usual anti-British instincts of the Corbynites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiY5RPXyEfU
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

A good thing you're so confident. WIth the current membership it's hard to say sometimes.
    I incline to the view that Corbyn would have been defeated this year had he been challenged following very poor local election results. Perhaps that explains why May has called the election.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

Where is your evidence that Corbyn would win a contest in the event of a defeat? I believe polling of the selectorate shows otherwise...
    It was a supposition.
  • Options
    Damn, I really, really want chips now...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Yes, that is the point. Ideally for Labour, post-Corbyn, there would be a superb Blair like candidate, adored by the membership, ready to take over. But there isn't. Nowhere near. Starmer is a robot, he's really not a leader. Jarvis is lightweight. Cooper has no chance with the members - too right wing, too Blairy.

So you must search for someone - anyone! - closer to Corbyn. That's when Thornberry makes a bit of sense. She very probably won't win a GE, but she could be a Howard character, who makes the party seem electable and sensible, at some point in the future.

But then again, I am mildly drunk.

Apparently being a robot makes for strong, stable government, and you can look decisive even if you U turn more often than not.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

I know it's left field, but you have to consider the alternatives. And Labour will still have a very leftwing membership, who get to choose.

Thornberry is cleverly positioned (i.e. Islington friend of Corbyn, but not insane commie) to gently lead Labour back to an electable state. And she's clever. And she's a woman. And she's quite good on TV. Tick tick tick.

Her political opinions are pretty neutral, on analysis.

It is indeed true that she is not a far left crazy, in her politics. Yet seen as a Corbyn loyalist. Interesting bet.
    Except she might lose her seat.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Keith Vaz has a large but faded England flag flying on his Uppingham rd office. No Labour posters etc though.

Times must be tough in the washing machine business.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038
    Scott_P said:

True, but what kind of maniac has chips and coffee/tea? :o
  • Options
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Yes, that is the point. Ideally for Labour, post-Corbyn, there would be a superb Blair like candidate, adored by the membership, ready to take over. But there isn't. Nowhere near. Starmer is a robot, he's really not a leader. Jarvis is lightweight. Cooper has no chance with the members - too right wing, too Blairy.

So you must search for someone - anyone! - closer to Corbyn. That's when Thornberry makes a bit of sense. She very probably won't win a GE, but she could be a Howard character, who makes the party seem electable and sensible, at some point in the future.

How much booze have you had?!

I'm a public sector worker, early middle aged woman, fairly centre left in political leanings and I think she's a sneery pillock with the intellectual depth of a puddle.

They need a serious much loved political heavyweight like John Smith (none of those left) or a Marmite salesman like T Blair.

Who will be left standing? Angela Rayner and Wes Streeting? The party of Attlee and Bevan. Enough to make you weep.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

She's a Mayniac?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Same sort of weirdos that put pineapples on pizza.
  • Options
    Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Yes, flying the flag would tend to get some Labour types thinking that.

The rest of us however......
    When did you last have an England flag on your house?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    What genuinely puzzles me is why Corbyn is putting himself through this campaign only to face heavy defeat and humiliation. Within four months of the election he will have been ousted - if he fails to stand down. It seems an act of pure masochism which sits alongside his lack of core survival instincts evidenced by his failure to block the election.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Same sort of weirdos that put pineapples on pizza.
    I knew I was a Mayite for some reason... :D

Hm... now I want pineapple pizza AND chips.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

The woman's not perfect- they do seem to be getting carried away a bit. Before the announcement 3-4 would have been a great result, and technically still would be, but they'll want so much more.

That would be a gift to the SNP - so I don't think she'll stand
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

She's a Mayniac?
    Someone handed me your coat?

:D
  • Options
    Willie Rennie campaigning in Leven today.

• Options
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

And this is why Labout are the wrong party for the proletariat - they basically can't stand the f*****s.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    What genuinely puzzles me is why Corbyn is putting himself through this campaign only to face heavy defeat and humiliation. Within four months of the election he will have been ousted - if he fails to stand down. It seems an act of pure masochism which sits alongside his lack of core survival instincts evidenced by his failure to block the election.
    Either he thinks quitting now would be even worse for his cause, or he is hoping like hell for a black swan event, or he genuinely thinks he can win.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:
    So weak. Seriously, it's not just that that doesn't work as an attack line, but you can't even reverse engineer it so as to see why anyone would have thought or hoped it might work. May is just resolutely and depressingly (to opponents and caricaturists) normal.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

No, Labour is not ready for a Blair. They need a Kinnock first, who will be trusted by all factions and who will have the authority and motivation to purge Momentum or convert them to the mainstream.

Kinnock may not have had enough following in the country, but he did in the party. Before the Messiah comes John the Baptist.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,509
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

My wife does as long as it's tea and she has not shown any maniac tendencies in the 54 years we have been married
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    Either he thinks quitting now would be even worse for his cause, or he is hoping like hell for a black swan event, or he genuinely thinks he can win.
    Or he's a deep cover CCHQ agent.....
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

My wife does as long as it's tea and she has not shown any maniac tendencies in the 54 years we have been married
    Hah, probably too strong a word. I still think it is a little odd to have a hot drink with chips.
  • Options
    calum said:

kle4 said:

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

Well indeed - she seems like she'd have a bright career in Westminster, and she could argue with the SCON revival (they are second, albeit distant second, inHolyrood) that others can continue the fight there, but it would make it seem like they were all just waiting for 'proper' jobs in London.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Freggles - it was the World Cup...
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    Shhhh - not to be spoken of until June 9th!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

May is just resolutely and depressingly (to opponents and caricaturists) normal.

@TechnicallyRon: "pssst, Mrs May, stand like a human being"
    "a what"
    "a human person"
    "I am"
    "but"
    "this is my best standing human p… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/859128250215395329
  • Options
    kle4 said:

calum said:

kle4 said:

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

Well indeed - she seems like she'd have a bright career in Westminster, and she could argue with the SCON revival (they are second, albeit distant second, inHolyrood) that others can continue the fight there, but it would make it seem like they were all just waiting for 'proper' jobs in London.
    Which is exactly why I think she should/will stay in Scotland.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    'Urgent exit required' only works in Line of Duty
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Not much wrong with tea with your chips. Used to get that quite often from burger vans. The only downside is if the chips are particularly scorching hot then a cup of tea is bloody useless for cooling your mouth down.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    I know this seems mad but I really think he believes he can win. Can you imagine the sort of bunker atmosphere there must be in Labour HQ, after the coup attempts, hostile media coverage, resignations? If you turn on the taps Kool And will come out. Another Corbyn Trump parallel..
  • Options

calum said:
    Ferfuxsake Ruth.

I think she is very realistic about the chances there and tis a noble aim. However, he'll survive - in what will then be a marginal seat.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,968
    Any polls expected this evening?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    So weak. Seriously, it's not just that that doesn't work as an attack line, but you can't even reverse engineer it so as to see why anyone would have thought or hoped it might work. May is just resolutely and depressingly (to opponents and caricaturists) normal.
    Embarrassingly similar to teenage bullying, this "awkward photo" thing.. I said just the same when it was EdM on the receiving end, and I didn't vote for him and wont be voting for May. Adults would hate it if their kids were cyber bullied over bad photos, what kind of example are they setting?
  • Options

No, Labour is not ready for a Blair. They need a Kinnock first, who will be trusted by all factions and who will have the authority and motivation to purge Momentum or convert them to the mainstream.

Kinnock may not have had enough following in the country, but he did in the party. Before the Messiah comes John the Baptist.

That is where I think Kier Starmer is at the moment. While not necessarily 'liked' by all he is not disliked by any.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Emily Thornberry manages to combine the look and sound of a snooty Tory with the CV and politics of an Islington socialist.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    Shhhh - not to be spoken of until June 9th!
    Oh crap. At least it'll take MI6 a few hours to reach me here.
  • Options

That looks like his female security detail in the background !!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

kle4 said:

It was a supposition.
    Do you believe he thinks he can conduct a Bernie Sanders campaign?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Do we really need any more polls after the double-diamond gold standard ICM put their poll out showing the blues on 47%? I don't think so... :smiley:
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Keith Vaz has a large but faded England flag flying on his Uppingham rd office. No Labour posters etc though.

Times must be tough in the washing machine business.

I am tempted to write something about plumbers who like to lay pipe .......
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Stupid for a politician to do that.
  • Options
    calum said:

That looks like his female security detail in the background !!
    Na, it's surely the bloke with the walking frame. ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    The best caricature of May is this one:

https://twitter.com/daisynorfolk/status/859141861012901889
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    I disagree with Don Brind, the objective of moderate, sane Labour should be to sit on their hands and ensure a Tory landslide of at least 100+ seats which can all be blamed on Corbynism. That would then give the likes of Keir Starmer the chance of a successful leadership challenge post defeat. If May only gets a majority of 50-100 or even less Corbyn can say he won the expectations game but was undermined by Blairites and has a good chance of being reelected.

However the line 'there is no one on the Labour side who specialises in Fallonic thuggery' is hilarious, no names mentioned Messrs Campbell, Mandelson, Brown, Balls, Whelan and McBride
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Mortimer said:

The next poll I expect is a YouGov GB wide this time tomorrow night.

We might get other polls in between, but nothing has been officially confirmed to me.

Edit: Just checked my spam folder, nothing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,509
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Hah, probably too strong a word. I still think it is a little odd to have a hot drink with chips.
    My wife drinks tea with everything. Must be to do with her Scottish fishing background. I was once out in a Seiner from Lossiemouth and the teapot went on the stove on leaving the harbour and stayed on throughout the whole three day trip
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

I've seen that same image but with imperial stormtroopers beside her. :D
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

That is where I think Kier Starmer is at the moment. While not necessarily 'liked' by all he is not disliked by any.
    Starmer is much like a Milliband, but without the charm.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I understand expectation management but conservatives can relax, the majority will be bigger than you can hope for. There is nothing that can stop it.

Conversations even suggesting Thornberry as next leader after her catastrophic 2015 campaign show where labour is at - royally fucked.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

*whispers*

Labour need a Kinnock or Howard someone like Starmer before they can elect a Blair or Cameron like Umunna
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't that the supreme galactic commander from Blakes 7?
This discussion has been closed.