Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Riding the surge. Betting on a Conservative landslide

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,042
    I'm beginning to think we might all be being a little hasty about Labour's obliteration. I've just heard Keir Starmer and I found his solutions and attitude a breath of fresh air. There's a tradition at elections to start by seeing everything in terms of personality but as things settle down policies come to the fore.

Corbyn is toxic no doubt about it. But over the next few weeks if they can find one or two spokespeople as impressive as Starmer (who incidentally reminds me of Macron) and with a powerful message I see no reason why they won't be listened to.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited April 2017
    Anorak said:

Speaking of Tabloids - Mirror Group settles phone-hacking claims.

Dozens of celebrities have settled their phone-hacking claims against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). Lord Jeffrey Archer, footballer Kevin Keegan and actress Patsy Kensit were among more than 40 cases which were resolved at London's High Court on Tuesday.

The cases were resolved by the payment of undisclosed damages and an apology. In some cases damages exceeded £300,000, the BBC understands.

"The legal costs around these cases are enormous," he added. "MGM put aside £26m to look after all these claims. There are another 50 or so in the pipeline."

Amazing how Piers didn't know. Very clever subordinates to get away with that.
    Its also amazing how the Graudian and BBC didn't seem to really have any suspicions about the Mirror being in the premier league of phone hackers...some would say they made NOTW look like amateurs..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,580
    Roger said:

I'm beginning to think we might all be being a little hasty about Labour's obliteration. I've just heard Keir Starmer and I found his solutions and attitude a breath of fresh air. There's a tradition at elections to start by seeing everything in terms of personality but as things settle down policies come to the fore.

Corbyn is toxic no doubt about it. But over the next few weeks if they can find one or two spokespeople as impressive as Starmer (who incidentally reminds me of Macron) and with a powerful message I see no reason why they won't be listened to.

He doesn't seem extraordinary to me, but I'm not seeing him deserving of the level of ridicule I have seen so far (other than the undoubtedly awkward fact he is arguing a labour government would be the best solution to things when that government would be led by Jeremy Corbyn, who he is on record as saying is not up to the job).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Ronnie O'Sullivan becomes Corbyn's first big name celebrity endorsement
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/856624022620184576

(Steve Davis is a Tory I believe)

So is Stephen Hendry. He threatened to quit the UK if Labour won in 1997!

They did and he didn't... ;)
    Ken Barlow is a Tory, tee hee
    I think Paul Daniels made the same threat.
    Tories also have Floella Benjamin, Dame Joan Collins, Sir Michael Caine, Gary Barlow and (probably) Sir Bruce Fortsyth.
    Yes, here's Floella Benjamin campaigning recently for Tory MP, Sarah Olney.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/canbury-park-road-600.jpg
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Has Tony Blair always worn his shirts like this?

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,574
    edited April 2017

Its also amazing how the Graudian and BBC didn't seem to really have any suspicions about the Mirror being in the premier league of phone hackers...some would say they made NOTW look like amateurs..

You only had to read the Information Commissioner's Motorman Report, which came out before all this kicked off, to have such suspicions. I would say it was blindingly obvious from that as to which newspapers were likely to be the worst offenders with phone "hacking".
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Roger said:

I am hoping Keir Starmer is the next Labour leader as he speaks with authority and gravitas .Would certainly help Labour recover after Corbyn.Farron seems very underwhelming .
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Roger said:

It's didn't save Jim Murphy and Slab any more than it can save labour now
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

g

Tories also have Floella Benjamin, Dame Joan Collins, Sir Michael Caine, Gary Barlow and (probably) Sir Bruce Fortsyth.
    The LibDems have Freddie Mercury, Alan Rickman, David Bowie, and George Martin.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 924
    Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

I am hoping Keir Starmer is the next Labour leader as he speaks with authority and gravitas .Would certainly help Labour recover after Corbyn.Farron seems very underwhelming .
    But would Starmer appeal to the Labour membership?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

g

You're a very bad man...! :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

John Lamont to resign his Holyrood seat of Ettrick etc on May 4th to " concentrate on winning the Westminster Parliamentary seat " .
    Clearly confident on winning .

No kidding - that's the sort of thing that can look real silly if things don't work out.
    Zero risk.
    I'm sure you're are right, but even so. I mean I believe Steve Rotherham put his name forward to stand in Walton, seemingly for no reason other than just in case he doesn't win the Liverpool Mayoralty. (it doesn't seem he will be double jobbing)
    Walton is safer than the Liverpool mayoralty.
    I'm sure it is (he got 80% of the vote), but the latter is still pretty damn safe isn't it? I think he could take the risk.
    Yes it is quite safe, I think Liverpool is to Labour as Orkney/Shetland is for the Lib Dems, even if Labour were at 5% or so nationally say they'd still win Knowlsey and Walton. I don't think it is true of the "very safe" London seats.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,352
    How long until a dead parrot appears next to Corbyn on the front page of the Sun?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 924

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Floella is ours!!!! I sat behind her in the theatre once, probably in 1980's.........
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Roger said:

Problem here, Roger. People are not voting for Starmer - they are voting for the next PM, and we all know who that candidate is. Nothing anyone from Labour could say is going to alter that fact. Not that I believe many people would back Starmer anyway. He's an average, middle-of-the-road politican in a risible Labour party.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039
    edited April 2017

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think the Tories do too badly with celebs (other celebs that I think are probably Tory include Ray Winstone, Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Cliff Richard) the only issue is that most of them don't dare admit it publicly.

Will be interesting to see whether Conservative's get more celeb endorsements this election compared to other years...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

My favourite psephologist, Prof. Stephen Fisher of Oxford University, has commenced his coverage of the 8 June General Election and his opening forecast is based on the eight most recent polls up to and including 24 April. I'm not sure how often he intends to issue his forecasts, they was weekly in 2015, but his opening shot is as follows:

Conservative .......... 390

Labour ................... 181

LibDems ................... 9

SNP ......................... 47

Others (incl N.I.) ...... 23

Total ...................... 650

Con. Majority ......... 130

Interesting Peter. Thanks for posting.

Dr Fisher was one of the few psephologists to predict the small Con majority in 2015 wasn't he?
    Nope. Just checked - his election day forecast was here https://electionsetc.com/2015/05/07/election-day-forecast/

Con 285
    Lab 262
    LD 25
    SNP 53

The chance of a Con majority was put at 6%.
    To be fair, this was based on polls that failed (Con 34, Lab 33, LD 9 were the inputs)
    Ah right, thanks. Wish I could remember the name of the Tory Lord who predicted a Con majority.
    Baron Hayward ?
    Ah yeah, that's the one. Has he made any official pronouncement on Election 2017?
    Yes, but before the election was called:

http://news.sky.com/story/pm-would-win-100-seat-majority-in-snap-election-says-influential-pollster-10823677
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Yorkcity said:

Roger said:

But would Starmer appeal to the Labour membership?
    Well he is in current shadow cabinet ,so was willing to do his best for Labour under difficult circumstances.So I believe that will help when he stands .I believe the country and Labour party will give him a hearing.They have not stopped listening yet to an opposite view to May as they have with Corbyn.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Roger said:

Rogerdamus strikes again.

Con gain Holborn and St. Pancras?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

How long until a dead parrot appears next to Corbyn on the front page of the Sun?

After Ronnie O'Sullivan a live John Parrot might be possible ....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

I think it shows a contempt of Holyrood to bugger off at the first opportunity mind.

*cough*Alex Salmond*cough*
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Rogerdamus strikes again.

Con gain Holborn and St. Pancras?
    When I'm sad and lonely
    When the working day is done
    When I walk along High Holborn
    I think of Keir, with nothing on
  • Options

Roger said:

It's didn't save Jim Murphy and Slab any more than it can save labour now
    Jim Murphy was crap. He had a following amongst English Tories but the Scots didn't rate him. Though I take your point that events in that election overtook everything.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think the Tories do too badly with celebs (other celebs that I think are probably Tory include Ray Winstone, Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Cliff Richard) the only issue is that most of them don't dare admit it publicly.

Will be interesting to see whether Conservbatives get more celeb endorsements this election compared to other years...
    I am sure they will like 1983' as they like a winner .Jim Davidson should help .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

g

After the necrophilia vote?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

My favourite psephologist, Prof. Stephen Fisher of Oxford University, has commenced his coverage of the 8 June General Election and his opening forecast is based on the eight most recent polls up to and including 24 April. I'm not sure how often he intends to issue his forecasts, they was weekly in 2015, but his opening shot is as follows:

Conservative .......... 390

Labour ................... 181

LibDems ................... 9

SNP ......................... 47

Others (incl N.I.) ...... 23

Total ...................... 650

Con. Majority ......... 130

Interesting Peter. Thanks for posting.

Dr Fisher was one of the few psephologists to predict the small Con majority in 2015 wasn't he?
    Nope. Just checked - his election day forecast was here https://electionsetc.com/2015/05/07/election-day-forecast/

Con 285
    Lab 262
    LD 25
    SNP 53

The chance of a Con majority was put at 6%.
    To be fair, this was based on polls that failed (Con 34, Lab 33, LD 9 were the inputs)
    Ah right, thanks. Wish I could remember the name of the Tory Lord who predicted a Con majority.
    Baron Hayward ?
    Ah yeah, that's the one. Has he made any official pronouncement on Election 2017?
    Yes, but before the election was called:

http://news.sky.com/story/pm-would-win-100-seat-majority-in-snap-election-says-influential-pollster-10823677
    Thanks Richard. Will be interesting to see whether that prediction get's "upgraded" in tyhe coming weeks.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    As of now, and to be honest things can only get worse for Labour, the Tory majority is nearer 200 than 100.

Sad times for progressive politics in this country.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Will be interesting to see whether Conservbatives get more celeb endorsements this election compared to other years...
    Seems unlikely. It's still not cool or trendy to vote Tory, even if it looks like even more working normal people are planning on doing so. I think maybe we'll get a few less mentions of some regular names, as they cannot bring themselves to endorse Corbyn, a few additions from fired up Corbynista celebs, maybe a few 'ugh, vote for the LDs, I guess', but who wants to say vote for the establishment, vote for stability, that's not cool.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Thanks Richard. Will be interesting to see whether that prediction get's "upgraded" in tyhe coming weeks.

Yes. He's a smart cookie and it's well worth paying attention to what he predicts.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Seems unlikely. It's still not cool or trendy to vote Tory, even if it looks like even more working normal people are planning on doing so. I think maybe we'll get a few less mentions of some regular names, as they cannot bring themselves to endorse Corbyn, a few additions from fired up Corbynista celebs, maybe a few 'ugh, vote for the LDs, I guess', but who wants to say vote for the establishment, vote for stability, that's not cool.
    Eddie Izzard's been unusually quiet recently... Wonder if he's given up on Jez (or maybe looking for a safe Labour seat to stand in) ? :D
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Hmm, they failed spectacularly the last time they tried – what will they different this time?
  • Options
    Mr Meeks makes a good case with the information available to him, but I think there is one other aspect to the Tory lead that needs to be considered as well. With that sort of swing, and the votes piling up across the land, surely the Lib Dems are going to be obliterated? Not deliberately, just as collateral damage, surely? The tide is going to wash them away.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505
    Now that I come to think of it, the Maygasm should have been obvious from the moment Kate Bush said she thought May was great.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    murali_s said:

As of now, and to be honest things can only get worse for Labour, the Tory majority is nearer 200 than 100.

Ebb and flow of politics.

Though I really don't know what progressive politics means. One reason I don't like the idea of progressive alliances is I don't think the Greens should be seen as such natural allies of the other lefty parties, they are too extreme, but they have that label so that makes them better than, say, a europhile, wet Tory?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Like many of us, you mean they're shy Tories!

Unlike many of us, they're also multi-millionnaire tax exiles!

• Options
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Ebb and flow of politics.

Though I really don't know what progressive politics means. One reason I don't like the idea of progressive alliances is I don't think the Greens should be seen as such natural allies of the other lefty parties, they are too extreme, but they have that level so that makes them better than, say, a europhile, wet Tory?
    It seems to me that Green policies and initiatives could only be implemented in a *very* illiberal country.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:
    Anytime between July 1st and September 30th would be ideal. Thanks.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @wallaceme: EXCLUSIVE: Richmond Park shortlist confirmed: @ZacGoldsmith @luke_r_parker and @Laura__Farris
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Mr. Calum, that makes it worse!

Maybe you should put together some sort of graph or bar chart showing your success in the past, and then promise to only bet with previously acquired winnings?

Tried that approach after GE2015 - where I made a 1480% profit - this resulted in 90% of the winnings being quickly removed from my accounts & the ban on any future spreadbetting being implemented !!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038

Scott_P said:
    Hmm, they failed spectacularly the last time they tried – what will they different this time?

They have absolutely nothing to lose. Either Corbyn is defeated or Labour splits.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    So its going to be 6 weeks of NHS, NHS, NHS, NHS...The Tories...NHS NHS NHS NHS..

I believe Ed had an idea about this approach, something or other about weaponizing it.
  • Options

Mr Meeks makes a good case with the information available to him, but I think there is one other aspect to the Tory lead that needs to be considered as well. With that sort of swing, and the votes piling up across the land, surely the Lib Dems are going to be obliterated? Not deliberately, just as collateral damage, surely? The tide is going to wash them away.

I think they've had their wipeout moment. A few seats are at risk, but they have had a national rise to a small degree, and it should be enough to hold what they've got. And of course prevailing wisdom on here was that they'd do very well to get to 20 seats after this election. But it seems right that if the Tory vote really has increased as much as it seems, there are not going to be anywhere near as many LD gains from Tory as thought (surely one or two, as places go against the flow).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038
    Jason said:

Roger said:

Problem here, Roger. People are not voting for Starmer - they are voting for the next PM, and we all know who that candidate is. Nothing anyone from Labour could say is going to alter that fact. Not that I believe many people would back Starmer anyway. He's an average, middle-of-the-road politican in a risible Labour party.

As May is demonstrating , average and middle of the road defeats catastrophic every day of the week.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Calum, that's a horrendous disregard for empirical evidence, and a cruel consequence of your excellent tips.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I'm going to be writing a post on exactly this subject when I get chance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    edited April 2017

You have to look at that on a seat by seat basis.

The most obvious (Tory) gain is either Twickenham (By London/Remain) or Richmond Park (Which has a current incumbent.

Orkney and Shetland is very safe as the SNP high water mark recedes. So too is Ceredigion where there is practically no Tory vote to start with.

The Leeds and Hallam seats should be safe I think - Clegg will appeal rather more than May in Hallam.

Norfolk North, Carshalton & Wallington are definite hands to the pump defences.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Floella is ours!!!! I sat behind her in the theatre once, probably in 1980's.........
    I met her in the early 1990s when she spoke at the Cambridge Union. She was lovely.
  • Options
    Do you think we will get a roque poll like in 1987 that put Labour only 4% behind.They say Thatcher had a panic attack that weekend.Still went onto a 100 majority. It might help May if there was one to stop people not bothering in a forgone conclusion.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:

They have absolutely nothing to lose. Either Corbyn is defeated or Labour splits.
    What on earth would be the point of a repeat of the New Labour project all over again? The brand is fatally damaged.

The tragedy for British politics is that we've now had two viable attempts to create a sane, stable, centre-left party of government in the UK and both have come undone in the end: the SDP because they didn't quite make it, and New Labour because they did.
  • Options

Yes, although that's probably overstating it. What is does mean is that it's going to be extremely hard for the LibDems to make much progress, at least in Tory-held seats and especially if there was a significant 2015 UKIP vote. But they should win a few off Labour (Cambridge, obv, probably Bermondsey, etc) and a few of the less Kipperish Tory-held seats such as Twickenham, where I expect Vince's name will do the trick.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Noooooooooooo

hps://twitter.com/ftwestminster/status/856910768977170433

Miss Nandy hails from the north of England and understands the parts of the country Labour must win back

She understands everywhere?

In all seriousness, I assume that means 'win back first' should a wipeout occur in former heartlands, but they do also need to win in other areas. They might end up with no more than 5 MPs across the SE and SW combined (outside London), which is also a problem to contend with.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: EXCLUSIVE: Richmond Park shortlist confirmed: @ZacGoldsmith @luke_r_parker and @Laura__Farris

If they pick Zac, the Conservatives deserve to lose. "I'd like to be your Conservative MP, and if they go ahead with Heathrow expansion, which is government policy, I'll resign. Again."
  • Options
    Perhaps someone has already reported this, but according to the FT, Andrew Tyrie (Con, Chichester) is standing down. A pity, because he asked sensible probing questions as the Chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, whilst the rest of them all tried to grandstand....
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2017
    murali_s said:

That word "progressive" again ..... what does it mean exactly?

Who knows, but Labourites love it and I forecast that by the end of their 2018 Party Conference, they will have changed their name to The Progressive Party or a close variation thereof.
    Remember, you heard it here first.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

If they pick Zac, the Conservatives deserve to lose. "I'd like to be your Conservative MP, and if they go ahead with Heathrow expansion, which is government policy, I'll resign. Again."
    Has he not got anything better to do with his life?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Do you think we will get a roque poll like in 1987 that put Labour only 4% behind.They say Thatcher had a panic attack that weekend.Still went onto a 100 majority. It might help May if there was one to stop people not bothering in a forgone conclusion.

Theresa May is more than aware of complacency and emphasied that today in her speech in South Wales.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, it might as well be 'goodieness' for all it means.

Who opposes progress? Baddies!

Any French polls since the first round?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Why split road to nowhere ,he is not going to be there much longer.He is only one man ,the Labour movement is larger than any one personality many have more faith than you.The conservatives did not pack in in and give up in 97.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Undoubtedly it will occur. We've already had one poll in the last round with a comparatively less scary lead of a mere 11(!), and we're 6 weeks out - even if the polls are right and the lead really is 20ish and not say 10-15, there'll be bad days and enough polls for some to show such a result.

And of course Lab are only expected to be less than 10 behind on NEV in the locals which, while still bad, may help TMat and co suggest it is closer than hoped.
  • Options

Now that I come to think of it, the Maygasm should have been obvious from the moment Kate Bush said she thought May was great.

Oh yes, that was a surprise...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Scott_P said:

What on earth would be the point of a repeat of the New Labour project all over again? The brand is fatally damaged.

The tragedy for British politics is that we've now had two viable attempts to create a sane, stable, centre-left party of government in the UK and both have come undone in the end: the SDP because they didn't quite make it, and New Labour because they did.
    But "the brand" is exactly what a split would allow them to wipe clean. A New Democratic Party. On the centre-left. Pro-Remain but not lobbyists like Farron's lot. Otherwise a broad church of the centre left.
  • Options

Any French polls since the first round?

Yes, they all have Le Pen on 34-40%, unchanged from before the first round.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,934

Scott_P said:
    So its going to be 6 weeks of NHS, NHS, NHS, NHS...The Tories...NHS NHS NHS NHS..

I believe Ed had an idea about this approach, something or other about weaponizing it.
    Unfortunately for Labour they're even behind on the NHS.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

As an unemployable multi-millionaire, I think the answer is "No".
  • Options

Perhaps someone has already reported this, but according to the FT, Andrew Tyrie (Con, Chichester) is standing down. A pity, because he asked sensible probing questions as the Chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, whilst the rest of them all tried to grandstand....

A lifetime hold for whoever takes over this seat.
  • Options

He was excellent. But then again, he did know what he was talking about.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,884
    Couldn't Zac Goldsmith and Esther McVey find jobs in the real world?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Morris_Dancer 3rd May 2015
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/03/dave-is-setting-the-post-election-agenda/

But when a politician says they want a fairer Britain, what's the bloody point of wasting breath on such nonsense? Who's going to stand up on stage and proclaim we have too much fairness?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, thanks. Was looking at Le Pen for 30-35% at 6.4 (Betfair Exchange) and 35-40% at 2.87 (Ladbrokes).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

As an unemployable multi-millionaire, I think the answer is "No".
    Don't they normally bugger off and become gentleman farmers?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited April 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

I doubt he will restate that again. He has been defeated on that issue in a by-election. He would have to be really very stupid to promise another by-election on that.

As the Conservative candidate I think he has a very good chance of getting back in at RP.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    In addition to Andrew Tyrie, Alan Haselhurst is standing down in Saffron Walden.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Possibly not. The problem for the Tories is that if they don't select him, he then stands as an independent and the LibDems hold the seat, not that I should worry with my 25/1 punt on them.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Wonder how long the meeting lasted? Over / Under on 10 mins...Guess we have to factor in how quick they made the teas for them, could have taken extra time trying to find some fair trade organic soya milk.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Does Zac need a job
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    AndyJS said:

In addition to Andrew Tyrie, Alan Haselhurst is standing down in Saffron Walden Stansted.

Corrected that for you.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    murali_s said:

Progressives had a 300 seat majority in the HoC between 1997 and 2005 but they didn't achieve as much as they could have done. Introducing proportional representation for example, particularly for local elections.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "The Ultimate Test of Professionalism: How I had to seriously discuss the prospect of a Labour government transition with Jeremy Corbyn MP - A series of lectures on civil service impartiality by Lord Heywood of York"
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Artist said:

Goldsmith does not need a job, he has enough in his trust fund to smooth the way to do something that does not pay cash. Maybe if he is not selected in RP they will offer him a Peerage for his work now and in the future on green policies?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

In addition to Andrew Tyrie, Alan Haselhurst is standing down in Saffron Walden Stansted.

Corrected that for you.
    I was actually going to write Stansted as a joke but thought most people wouldn't get it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Possibly not. The problem for the Tories is that if they don't select him, he then stands as an independent and the LibDems hold the seat, not that I should worry with my 25/1 punt on them.
    Hasn't he been all supportive of the Tories still? And he doesn't need the job, so why stand against the Tories if they don't select him?
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Scott_P said:
    Trying to imagine the conversation... nope.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes has its F1 markets up (NB under its own category, not Motorsport).

What is King of the Road?

Mr. kle4, what a wise chap that Morris Dancer fellow was.

Anyway, running through the F1 markets. Will have 1 early tip, at least.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But "the brand" is exactly what a split would allow them to wipe clean. A New Democratic Party. On the centre-left. Pro-Remain but not lobbyists like Farron's lot. Otherwise a broad church of the centre left.
    I wonder if that would have the effect of resplitting the Alliance so we'd end up with two new parties:

- The Democrats: Essentially like New Labour but without the residual baggage of the unions and the hard-left.

- The Liberals: Aim to displace the Tories on the right by being dry economically, socially liberal, and internationally open.
  • Options
    Since the election has been called Theresa May and Corbyn have been featured constantly in the broadcast media and also to a lesser extent Nicola. I genuinely have seen virtual nothing of Tim Farron other than a report re his views on gay sex.

With fewer PPB's and coverage added to the increasing popularity of the PM are they likely to make more gains than loses
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Corrected that for you.
    Nope. Saffron Walden. My MP. For now.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

- The Liberals: Aim to displace the Tories on the right by being dry economically, socially liberal, and internationally open.
    Works for me, but doesn't seem like that is where the interest lies for the LDs, and it's not like any Tories of that description will leave a party with such a huge majority for it.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Backed Force India with a small amount at 3 (Ladbrokes) for a double points finish.

Their car is quite fast and joint most reliable. They've had double points finishes at every race so far. Not guaranteed, of course, but the odds are too long.

And with that, I am off.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

AndyJS said:

Corrected that for you.
    Well AndyJS will be relieved not everyone got the joke...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    AndyJS said:

In addition to Andrew Tyrie, Alan Haselhurst is standing down in Saffron Walden.

Standing Down: 21 Remain 3 Leave
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Jason said:

Roger said:

As May is demonstrating , average and middle of the road defeats catastrophic every day of the week.

Even May has some warmth. Starmer is like a block of ice, only less charismatic. As barking mad as he is, even Corbyn has more humanity about him than he does.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

AndyJS said:

Corrected that for you.
    Oh, sorry. SOH misfire.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,952
    rcs1000 said:

He was excellent. But then again, he did know what he was talking about.
    I thought his speech on Syria bombing was very good also.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

Scott_P said:
    Trying to imagine the conversation... nope.
    I see Jeremy Heywood trying to stifle a laugh, but no actual words coming out of his mouth.

• Options

Since the election has been called Theresa May and Corbyn have been featured constantly in the broadcast media and also to a lesser extent Nicola. I genuinely have seen virtual nothing of Tim Farron other than a report re his views on gay sex.

I don't believe that gay sex is a sin," [Tim Farron] said.

Me: Then why the hell were you so cagey about it before?

I take the view though that as a political leader, my job is not to pontificate on theological matters.

Me: Well now a lot of people will think that you think gay sex is a sin. Was the reticence on this 'theological matter' worth it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39703444
  • Options

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.