Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Riding the surge. Betting on a Conservative landslide

Comments

• Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

JackW said:

I think those Tories critical of Ronnie O'Sullivan's endorsement of Jezza are most misguided. The snooker legend simply hopes that Labour gets a maximum of 147 MP's.

(Well 155 technically is the maximum . . .(Free ball after a foul))
    I remember a televised match (from the Crucible?) from the 80s where the Canadian player Kirk Stevens was on for 155 for much of a sizeable break. Sadly, it broke down (from memory he made 120s) - but it was quite exciting while it lasted!
    I believe Alex Higgins made a 146 under those circumstances before the age of the maximum
    'Before the age of the maximum'. Explain?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,711

IanB2 said:

I invited a Kantar pollster into my home for 20 minutes last week. Normally I would show them the door but I was anticipating being asked some interesting election-related questions. Sadly it was all about olive oil, some replacement for blu tak and a load of television programmes I have never watched.

It was probably for the Conservatives. They're getting really smart at micro-targetting nowadays. "Knew his olive oil, sceptical of innovation, doesn't watch TV soaps. Put him down as a LibDem probable but put him on the list for the 'coalition of chaos' personalised letters with the immigration bits missed out"
    Lol very good :) I will watch the letterbox in anticipation...
  • Options
    Jason said:

Since the world's most boring oaf, Keir 'Kryton' Starmer's speech this morning, Tories odds have LENGTHENED over at WH. They are now 1/8 to gain a majoirty. They were 1/7 this morning. More barn storming speeches, please, Starmer.

isn't the move from 1/7 --> 1/8 a tightening? a 14% return going to a 12%?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Mortimer said:

Con gain Doncaster North into 6's on BFSB.
    The power of PB

I only got it at 9s, but even so, fab tip - thanks Mr Meeks.
    Think you will be wasting your money David Herdson wrote an article saying he would lose it to UKIP in 2015 .
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Mr. Jason, shortened, surely?

Sorry, yes, indeed. Sounds counter-intuitive when the number's getting higher, but you are quite correct.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,757

The Merseyside influence also seems to be spreading to Cheshire with Lab taking Chester in 2015 and also controlling CW&C council. Could the widespread boycott of the Sun be partly responsible?

As someone who knows nothing of local football (teams are Liverton and Everpool? And that other one? Tranmere Marine Rovers? They play in Division Four don't they?) even I know enough that you don't buy the Sun. Father in law bought it a few months ago. I nearly died when I saw it in their living room.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited April 2017

‪Just think of the pop puns if he becomes an MP. I hope he won't be too TENDER if he loses. ‬

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/856880352928968704

Modern Lab is Rubbish

Imagine Diane and Jezza driving around London in the video

"He's a twentieth century boy
    With his hands on the rails
    Trying not to be sick again
    And holding on for tomorrow
    London ice cracks on a seamless line
    He's hanging on for dear life
    And so we hold each other tightly
    And hold on for tomorrow, singing

La, la, la-la-la
    La-la-la-la-la-la, la-la-la
    Holding on for tomorrow

She's a twentieth century girl
    With her hands on the wheel
    Trying not to make him sick again
    Seeing what she can borrow
    London's so nice back in your seamless rhymes
    But we're lost on the Westway
    And so we hold each other tightly
    And we can wait until tomorrow, singing

La, la, la-la-la
    La-la-la-la-la-la, la-la-la
    Holding on for tomorrow

Jez stops and gets out the car
    Goes to a house in Islington North
    Through the door and to his room
    Then he puts the TV on
    Turns it off and makes some tea
    Says, "Modern life, well, it's rubbish, I'm
    Holding on for tomorrow"
    Then Diane comes into the room
    She's a naughty girl with a lovely smile
    Says, "Let's take a drive to Primrose Hill"
    It's windy there and the view's so nice
    London ice can freeze your toes
    Like anyone, I suppose you're
    Holding on for tomorrow"
  • Options
    Jason said:

Since the world's most boring oaf, Keir 'Kryton' Starmer's speech this morning, Tories odds have LENGTHENED over at WH. They are now 1/8 to gain a majoirty. They were 1/7 this morning. More barn storming speeches, please, Starmer.

They have shortened you mean?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited April 2017
    bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

I think those Tories critical of Ronnie O'Sullivan's endorsement of Jezza are most misguided. The snooker legend simply hopes that Labour gets a maximum of 147 MP's.

I remember a televised match (from the Crucible?) from the 80s where the Canadian player Kirk Stevens was on for 155 for much of a sizeable break. Sadly, it broke down (from memory he made 120s) - but it was quite exciting while it lasted!
    I believe Alex Higgins made a 146 under those circumstances before the age of the maximum
    It's was the highest break before the 147s started getting televised, although it didn't 'count' because it was a 16 red 'free ball' break.
    It was superceded by Steve Davis and the first televised 147
  • Options

Jason said:

isn't the move from 1/7 --> 1/8 a tightening? a 14% return going to a 12%?
    Yep, nearly right there!
  • Options
    isam said:

‪Just think of the pop puns if he becomes an MP. I hope he won't be too TENDER if he loses. ‬

Modern Lab is Rubbish
    End of a Party
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,711
    marke09 said:

Very interesting reading General Elections Records https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election_records

Yes there's some interesting stuff there. I notice that even if you exclude post-by-election contests, there's usually somewhere each time where the LibDems chalk up a vote share increase of over 20%.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. Jason, yeah, easy mistake to make. I remember a recent(ish) QI where it was mentioned that a very tasty third-pounder burger had to be discontinued because people thought it was a rip-off (they thought it was less than a quarter-pounder...).

There are other interesting effects, like wages always been round pounds, books typically being Something.99 etc.

Not quite the same, but a little psychological quirk some people here may find useful is that mail surveys get more responses if you put the stamp on at a slight angle. Psychologists have (or had, been a while since I did it) no idea why this is.
  • Options

The Merseyside influence also seems to be spreading to Cheshire with Lab taking Chester in 2015 and also controlling CW&C council. Could the widespread boycott of the Sun be partly responsible?

As someone who knows nothing of local football (teams are Liverton and Everpool? And that other one? Tranmere Marine Rovers? They play in Division Four don't they?) even I know enough that you don't buy the Sun. Father in law bought it a few months ago. I nearly died when I saw it in their living room.
    Marine and Tranmere Rovers are two separate clubs.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Perfectly sums up why Labour are in so much trouble these days.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    The Green figure is going to be almost entirely remain, and the UKIP figure leave.

The only way I can get this poll to add through is by utterly cratering Lab Leavers.

Labour remain holding up is the other side.

Anyway I make that poll:

CON 410
    LAB 153
    L DEM 9
    UKIP 0
    GREEN 1
    SNP 54
    PLAID 4
    OTHER 1

But the SNp won't be at 54/
    TNS have the Tories leading with Remainers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fun political trivia post alert

As SCon eagerly anticipate their Scotland bonanza coming their way it's worthwhile to meditate on the flap of a butterfly wing:

Leading up to the 2011 Ruth Davidson was second on the Glasgow regional list and thus almost guaranteed not to be elected as Con had returned only 1 Glasgow list MP. However barely a month before hand the number 1 on the list Malcom Macaskill was dropped due to allegations of CV omissions and that bumped Ruth to number 1 spot.

As expected SCons returned only 1 List MP. Ruth.

Macaskill went on to sue the Tories and got a 5 figure settlement from them
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13066298.Scots_Tories_are__rotten_to_the_core___says_ousted_Holyrood_candidate/
    He added that he did not foresee a successful future for the party - to be fair he didn't specify a time frame on that.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

It's was the highest break before the 147s started getting televised, although it didn't 'count' because it was a 16 red 'free ball' break.
    I still don't really understand. Surely several people made 147 before snooker was on the telly?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Will the City of York go Conservative first time since ,1987 ?

York Central? Only if the Tories win by more than 20% IMO.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,757
    bobajobPB said:

Marine and Tranmere Rovers are two separate clubs.

Yes.... :smile:
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

I still don't really understand. Surely several people made 147 before snooker was on the telly?
    Breaks made in ranking tournaments. Steve Davis got the first 147 in a ranking tournament, loads had been made before in practice, clubs etc for sure
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Someone with time on their hand and with sufficient computer skills, might like to to do an edit job on the most fancied names to become next Labour Leader, on the basis that around one third of their total number appear likely to lose their seats. This should highlight some tasty value as a result.

Probably not Wes Streeting then ... although Ilford North was a surprise Labour win in 2015; the odds were about 4.0.

By the way, given the no. of betting co.s who probably scour this site for pricing info., should sensitive info. be discussed on PB in the evening when fewer people are at their desks?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

Breaks made in ranking tournaments. Steve Davis got the first 147 in a ranking tournament, loads had been made before in practice, clubs etc for sure
    Think of it like 9 dart finishes. Thousands had been made before the first TV one
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Does this mean Noel Gallagher will be running somewhere?
    Labour are, as usual, bringing out their showbiz guns, first Ronnie O'Sullivan and now Dave Rowntree ...... where's Izzard?
    They’re saving Izzard till last, when the fat lady mimic sings, you’ll know it’s all over for Lab.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

POLL: Reuters reporting Kantar Poll (fieldwork 20/4-24/4 online)

Con 46
    Lab 24
    LD 11
    UKIP 8

Maybe the electorate are in a Canada 1993 sort of mood as far as Labour are concerned. I never thought it would happen here.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Does it? Dave Rowntree is an accomplished bloke - practicing lawyer, successful businessman, politically active for many years. He's got a better CV than many MPs for the job. Being ex-drummer of Blur as well doesn't disqualify him.

I can think of loads of reasons Labour are in trouble. Dave Rowntree isn't one of them.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Modern Lab is Rubbish
    End of a Party
    Death isn't it?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Does it? Dave Rowntree is an accomplished bloke - practicing lawyer, successful businessman, politically active for many years. He's got a better CV than many MPs for the job. Being ex-drummer of Blur as well doesn't disqualify him.

I can think of loads of reasons Labour are in trouble. Dave Rowntree isn't one of them.
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yorkcity said:

Will the City of York go Conservative first time since ,1987 ?

York Central? Only if the Tories win by more than 20% IMO.
    Cheers can not find a price for York Central but Lib Dems are in coalition with the Conservatives on the council which does not help either at the moment .Also the local MP Rachael Maskell seems popular especially over her work regarding the recent floods in York.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

AndyJS said:

Totally agree.
    Totally disagree. Aren't there any longstanding Labour members in Lewisham West who have earned the right to be the candidate as a result of long service to their local community? That's the sort of thing that used to happen in the Labour Party.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

AndyJS said:

Totally agree.
    Best thing I remember him doing is ripping it out of Prince!

TAFKAP turned up at an awards ceremony w "Slave" written on his face because he was in dispute w his record company, so Rowntree turned up at the Brits w "Dave" written on his!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Totally agree.
    It's just an attempt to take publicity away from the lovely Karen who will be storming Bury North.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,560
    Brexit by timetable. How the EU has the whole thing sewn up:

https://www.ft.com/content/74e5fe4b-b1e4-3f9c-9e9b-73316872e144
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    The Curse of Mr Dancer ....

Hailstones here now AND Thunder & lightning (very, very frightening me....) :)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    John Lamont to resign his Holyrood seat of Ettrick etc on May 4th to " concentrate on winning the Westminster Parliamentary seat " .
    Clearly confident on winning .
    Dont know for sure but I think the timescale would preclude holding the Holyrood by election on June 8th
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

That is quite amazing – I had no idea they were such rare beasts (when under the spotlight) prior to Davis' appearance on the scene. Thanks.
  • Options
    isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Modern Lab is Rubbish
    End of a Party
    Death isn't it?
    Was a play on End of a Century. Anyway, I am not allowed to talk to you. Although clearly not a partisan point!
  • Options
    Mrs C, tremble before the breath of Boreas!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

That is quite amazing – I had no idea they were such rare beasts (when under the spotlight) prior to Davis' appearance on the scene. Thanks.
    I recall Doug Mountjoy being on record breakers with Roy castle when he held the record for a tournament break at 145. He talked about the one blue he took and how he could have gone for a tricky black instead but bottled it.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Modern Lab is Rubbish
    End of a Party
    Death isn't it?
    Was a play on End of a Century. Anyway, I am not allowed to talk to you. Although clearly not a partisan point!
    Oh well I am not talking to you... But they do a song called "Death of a Party"!
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

I recall Doug Mountjoy being on record breakers with Roy castle when he held the record for a tournament break at 145. He talked about the one blue he took and how he could have gone for a tricky black instead but bottled it.
    There is a real lesson in human psychology there – the pressure of being the first really playing on the mind. Once it had been done under test conditions several followed, I guess. I assume that today several are made under the lights every season?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,577
    AndyJS said:

chestnut said:

POLL: Reuters reporting Kantar Poll (fieldwork 20/4-24/4 online)

Con 46
    Lab 24
    LD 11
    UKIP 8

Maybe the electorate are in a Canada 1993 sort of mood as far as Labour are concerned. I never thought it would happen here.
    There must be a no longer insignificant possibility of Labour imploding due to some sort of Mrs. Duffy type of moment. They are doing terribly as is, but how bad could it get if someone like Corbyn or McDonnell really screws up?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

There is a real lesson in human psychology there – the pressure of being the first really playing on the mind. Once it had been done under test conditions several followed, I guess. I assume that today several are made under the lights every season?
    Yeah. Ronnie makes them for fun.
  • Options
    isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Modern Lab is Rubbish
    End of a Party
    Death isn't it?
    Oh well I am not talking to you... But they do a song called "Death of a Party"!
    Ha okay – I am not talking to you but I don't know that track. I do now.
  • Options
    GarzaGarza Posts: 45
    Pulpstar said:

My favourite psephologist, Prof. Stephen Fisher of Oxford University, has commenced his coverage of the 8 June General Election and his opening forecast is based on the eight most recent polls up to and including 24 April. I'm not sure how often he intends to issue his forecasts, they was weekly in 2015, but his opening shot is as follows:

Conservative .......... 390

Labour ................... 181

LibDems ................... 9

SNP ......................... 47

Others (incl N.I.) ...... 23

Total ...................... 650

Con. Majority ......... 130

He has the vote share for GE 2015 as:

Con 37.8, Lab 31.2, LD 8.1, UKIP 12.9

Which is incorrect?
    That is what the polls SHOULD have shown. Northern Ireland is never sampled, because noone ever has a clue about there except the locals.
    Polls in Northern Ireland are notoriously unreliable anyway, as people here will not tell the truth (or not at all) on who they are going to vote for to avoid a negative reaction by anyone.
  • Options

Mrs C, tremble before the breath of Boreas!

Who?
  • Options
    Mrs C, the North Wind, hence Aurora Borealis.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,536
    Ronnie O'Sullivan becomes Corbyn's first big name celebrity endorsement
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/856624022620184576

(Steve Davis is a Tory I believe)
  • Options
    Stephen Fisher:

"The polls in Scotland just before the last election showed a 21-point lead for SNP over Labour. The SNP went on to take all but one of Labour’s 41 Scottish seats.

This week Theresa May called a general election in the wake of polls showing her Conservative party 21 points ahead of Labour. Could Labour now be headed for a Britain wide meltdown of the kind that they suffered in Scotland two years ago?"

https://electionsetc.com/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750

John Lamont to resign his Holyrood seat of Ettrick etc on May 4th to " concentrate on winning the Westminster Parliamentary seat " .

No kidding - that's the sort of thing that can look real silly if things don't work out.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

bobajobPB said:

isam said:

Modern Lab is Rubbish
    End of a Party
    Death isn't it?
    Ha okay – I am not talking to you but I don't know that track. I do now.
    Interestingly, it appeared way way back in 1992 - fan club only limited edition. Finally fully released in 1997.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He is also a techno DJ.

https://thump.vice.com/en_uk/article/i-went-to-the-masters-snooker-with-steve-davis-and-we-talked-about-techno
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

Since Steve Davis did it there's been 130 odd with the number-per-year increasing all the time.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has 13 I think so is responsible for 10% of all 147s ever which is an amazing statistic.
  • Options

The south wind is called Auster I believe? (hence Australia).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

Since Steve Davies did it there's been 130 odd with the number-per-year increasing all the time.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has 13 I think so is responsible for 10% of all 147s ever which is an amazing statistic.
    Yes, that's a stunning fact.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Mr. Bobajob, I must admit to shocking ignorance about the names of the other three winds.

Edited extra bit: quick check of Wiki reveals Auster is indeed the South Wind (Roman version of the Greek Notus). Pleased by Zephyrus being the West (Eurus is the East).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No kidding - that's the sort of thing that can look real silly if things don't work out.
    Zero risk.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Alistair said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

Since Steve Davies did it there's been 130 odd with the number-per-year increasing all the time.

Just looking up the wikipage on it and I'm slightly stunned to realise that Steve Davis had one 147 in his career. The first and only.
  • Options

Mr. Bobajob, I must admit to shocking ignorance about the names of the other three winds.

Zephyr is the west wind, I believe. No idea what the east wind is called. Google doesn't offer a conclusive solution!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

bobajobPB said:

Alistair said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

JackW said:

Just looking up the wikipage on it and I'm slightly stunned to realise that Steve Davis had one 147 in his career. The first and only.
    That is very weird.
  • Options

:+1:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,536
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

He is also a techno DJ.

https://thump.vice.com/en_uk/article/i-went-to-the-masters-snooker-with-steve-davis-and-we-talked-about-techno
    Perhaps he could do the Tory conference Conservative Future disco?
  • Options
    34 is the crossover age in voting Lab/Con according to Matthew Goodwin:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/856835016860499968
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

He is also a techno DJ.

Interesting.
  • Options

Edited extra bit: quick check of Wiki reveals Auster is indeed the South Wind (Roman version of the Greek Notus). Pleased by Zephyrus being the West (Eurus is the East).

There are more than three – the ordinal points NE, SE etc all have names too (don't ask me what they are!).
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

He is also a techno DJ.

Interesting.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    On the off topic subject of 147s and Kirk Stevens as mentioned. He became the third person to score a televised 147 and the first to also lose the match in a semi final against Jimmy White (who never made one)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,827
    HYUFD said:

Wussseellly Brand will surely tell his millions of twitter followers to vote for Jezza.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ronnie always was a bit left field!
  • Options
    I'm guessing that Tim Farron on the news talking about the bible and his views on gay sex is not exactly what most LDs were hoping for during the campaign.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Other Kirk Stevens trivia- he lost in the final of the Dulux Open to Silvino Francisco who fumed that Kirk was high as a kite during the final. Kirk was later taken out of snooker circulation after admitting a coke habit.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm guessing that Tim Farron on the news talking about the bible and his views on gay sex is not exactly what most LDs were hoping for during the campaign.

Yes not great if you are a Lib Dem he is getting very tetchy when questioned.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    AndyJS said:

Any publicity is good publicity.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

On the off topic subject of 147s and Kirk Stevens as mentioned. He became the third person to score a televised 147 and the first to also lose the match in a semi final against Jimmy White (who never made one)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ifZglGgKGI
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077
    AndyJS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    HYUFD said:

So is Stephen Hendry. He threatened to quit the UK if Labour won in 1997!

They did and he didn't... ;)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

On the off topic subject of 147s and Kirk Stevens as mentioned. He became the third person to score a televised 147 and the first to also lose the match in a semi final against Jimmy White (who never made one)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ifZglGgKGI
    Oooooooh I thought he never did. OK, I stand corrected!
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

HYUFD said:

Ronnie always was a bit left field!
    Does that mean 147 seats for Labour next month?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Ken Barlow is a Tory, tee hee
    I think Paul Daniels made the same threat.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    From reading the tabloids, I'd rather got the impression that for Lib Dems gay sex was compulsory.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2017
    AndyJS said:

I kind of feel sorry for him. But really, he has had how long to come up with decent response?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Speaking of Tabloids - Mirror Group settles phone-hacking claims.

Dozens of celebrities have settled their phone-hacking claims against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). Lord Jeffrey Archer, footballer Kevin Keegan and actress Patsy Kensit were among more than 40 cases which were resolved at London's High Court on Tuesday.

The cases were resolved by the payment of undisclosed damages and an apology. In some cases damages exceeded £300,000, the BBC understands.

"The legal costs around these cases are enormous," he added. "MGM put aside £26m to look after all these claims. There are another 50 or so in the pipeline."
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Other Kirk Stevens trivia- he lost in the final of the Dulux Open to Silvino Francisco who fumed that Kirk was high as a kite during the final. Kirk was later taken out of snooker circulation after admitting a coke habit.

And the white suit. Don't forget the bell-bottomed white suit!! Made the 147 in that too, I think.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

My favourite psephologist, Prof. Stephen Fisher of Oxford University, has commenced his coverage of the 8 June General Election and his opening forecast is based on the eight most recent polls up to and including 24 April. I'm not sure how often he intends to issue his forecasts, they was weekly in 2015, but his opening shot is as follows:

Interesting Peter. Thanks for posting.

Dr Fisher was one of the few psephologists to predict the small Con majority in 2015 wasn't he?
    Nope. Just checked - his election day forecast was here https://electionsetc.com/2015/05/07/election-day-forecast/

Con 285
    Lab 262
    LD 25
    SNP 53

The chance of a Con majority was put at 6%.
    To be fair, this was based on polls that failed (Con 34, Lab 33, LD 9 were the inputs)
    Ah right, thanks. Wish I could remember the name of the Tory Lord who predicted a Con majority.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

And the white suit. Don't forget the bell-bottomed white suit!! Made the 147 in that too, I think.
    Him and Tony Knowles were snooker sex
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Zero risk.
    I'm sure you're are right, but even so. I mean I believe Steve Rotherham put his name forward to stand in Walton, seemingly for no reason other than just in case he doesn't win the Liverpool Mayoralty. (it doesn't seem he will be double jobbing)
  • Options

From reading the tabloids, I'd rather got the impression that for Lib Dems gay sex was compulsory.

So no literally a straight choice for the Lib Dems
  • Options

Dozens of celebrities have settled their phone-hacking claims against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). Lord Jeffrey Archer, footballer Kevin Keegan and actress Patsy Kensit were among more than 40 cases which were resolved at London's High Court on Tuesday.

The cases were resolved by the payment of undisclosed damages and an apology. In some cases damages exceeded £300,000, the BBC understands.

"The legal costs around these cases are enormous," he added. "MGM put aside £26m to look after all these claims. There are another 50 or so in the pipeline."

Amazing how Piers didn't know. Very clever subordinates to get away with that.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Him and Tony Knowles were snooker sex
    There's a joke about the brown ball in there somewhere, but I shall refrain.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,577

I'm looking forward to left-wingers campaigning for an advertising boycott to the put the Mirror out of business. I'm sure that will start any day now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Dr Fisher was one of the few psephologists to predict the small Con majority in 2015 wasn't he?
    Nope. Just checked - his election day forecast was here https://electionsetc.com/2015/05/07/election-day-forecast/

Con 285
    Lab 262
    LD 25
    SNP 53

To be fair, this was based on polls that failed (Con 34, Lab 33, LD 9 were the inputs)
    Ah right, thanks. Wish I could remember the name of the Tory Lord who predicted a Con majority.
    Baron Hayward ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Zero risk.
    I'm sure you're are right, but even so. I mean I believe Steve Rotherham put his name forward to stand in Walton, seemingly for no reason other than just in case he doesn't win the Liverpool Mayoralty. (it doesn't seem he will be double jobbing)
    Walton is safer than the Liverpool mayoralty.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Zero risk.
    I think it shows a contempt of Holyrood to bugger off at the first opportunity mind.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Tories also have Floella Benjamin, Dame Joan Collins, Sir Michael Caine, Gary Barlow and (probably) Sir Bruce Fortsyth.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I kind of feel sorry for him. But really, he has had how long to come up with decent response?
    "That would be an ecumenical matter".

Simple as.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

And Frank Bruno .However Michael Caine decided not to after meeting Tony Blair in 1997.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Zero risk.
    I think it shows a contempt of Holyrood to bugger off at the first opportunity mind.
    It is probably why Ruth Davidson should resist any urging to stand as an MP - she may well win a seat and be a very good minister, and be able to argue that the Tories are now doing much better in Scotland and she can fight for it in Westminster while others continue to do so in Holyrood...but it would definitely be portrayed as Holyrood being seen as second string, to be left as soon as one gets a real seat at the big table.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Zero risk.
    Walton is safer than the Liverpool mayoralty.
    I'm sure it is (he got 80% of the vote), but the latter is still pretty damn safe isn't it? I think he could take the risk.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Con 285
    Lab 262
    LD 25
    SNP 53

Baron Hayward ?
    Ah yeah, that's the one. Has he made any official pronouncement on Election 2017?
This discussion has been closed.