Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP’s collapse gives huge boost to CON in Wales. Now 10% ahea

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Scott_P said:

Why was it they so comprehensively failed to articulate a convincing and passionate alternative to Corbyn to their own membership back in 2015, with all the other pitches seeming so utterly insipid and hollow?

Pathetic.

They were pitching at the country. not the membership.

You can argue that was dumb, as it cost them the leadership, but ti would have given them a chance now.

Unlike Corbyn.

The bigger mistake was not resigning the whip when he stayed after the vote of no confidence.
    Their pitch to the country was just as crap: vacuous Blairism-plus, ContinuityBrown and I'maScouserwhowenttoCambridgeandhasneverkissedaTory.

Where are the serious thinkers in Labour?

Are there any?

The big mistake(s) Labour have made is to take almost all their voters outside the core cities for granted, ceased to make themselves relevant in an era where There is No Money Left, maintained a total tin ear for the concept of nationhood, and relied almost exclusively on the cuts the Tories have made to do all the hard work for them.

Corbyn could fall under a bus tomorrow, and none of that would go away.

With May now recycling Labour policies from its 2015 election manifesto, you do have to wonder if there are any serious thinkers in any political party.

She does sound like Ed Miliband in a skirt. I've been deeply unimpressed by her so far this campaign. The energy price stuff is just horrible. Rubbish when it was proposed by Labour and rubbish now when proposed by someone who purports to be a Conservative.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The most interesting thing is not the policy but that it's being presented as Theresa May not Conservatives doing it. Think it's a strategy.
    I'm certain it's a strategy. The simple fact is that an election characterised in people's minds as May vs Corbyn looks likely to be better for the Conservatives than one characterised as Conservative vs Labour (I think they'd win either, but the former is better for them).

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    dr_spyn said:

Labour conceding defeat might be at earlier this time round.
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/856559822644404228

More votes than in 1992 ?

Not for Labour there isn't.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Ukip Vote Share

Yesterday I mentioned the 1/4 Ladbrokes were offering on UKIP vote share under 10%. Just checked and can't find that market now never mind those odds. Wish I'd got more on.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

The most interesting thing is not the policy but that it's being presented as Theresa May not Conservatives doing it. Think it's a strategy.
    Good spot.
    The Ruth Davidson model.
    I'm guessing this is a reflection of polling/focus groups.

Funny, we were told Cameron's popularity was the only thing keeping the Tories afloat.
    Well the point is maybe there should have been MORE Cameron and LESS Tory in 2015 literature. However both Ruth and May are trying to park tanks on Labour/SNP lawns, where the Tory brand isn't as strong. To say the least. Whereas the 2015 approach was not really that.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

kle4 said:

Only that Ed Miliband got there first.
    That Ed Miliband couldn't make a very similar policy fly, but the Tories think Theresa May can, speaks volumes about the relative credibility of both these leaders and their parties.

That, and the fact that May feels that, whilst she can't quite get away with anything, she has an awful lot of political space in which to write her own agenda.

Ed was crap, but he was focused on the mainstream and on winning power. From time to time he came up with some very eye-catching policies, which the Tories rubbished and subsequently stole. That Ed stands head and shoulders above Corbyn, but was the second worst Labour leader since WW2 tells you all you need to know. Nick Palmer backed them both, I believe ;-)

EdM was a colossus compared with Corbyn, and Brown was a good deal better than EdM. Hence my confidence that, even if some black swan appears to set the Tories back, I can't see Labour possibly doing as well even as Brown's 29% in 2010.

If you take that as a given, and then look at the Liberal Democrats flatlining away, you have to wonder how it would be possible for the Conservatives *NOT* to win a handsome majority.

That said, they should guard against complacency, and I hope they're working very hard to make the rest of this campaign an effective one.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    dr_spyn said:

So what do I do that night: I'm off to France on a school trip on the 9th, leaving early (6am ish). Stay up and sleep on the coach (not a great look in front of the pupils) or early night getting up about 3?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Typo said:

Well, this one's been put to bed....er...

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/856556769174110208

The Lib Dems were pounding the streets of Oval yesterday, disturbing Sunday lunches. I wonder if this issue
    came up. The avoidance is deafening. It's clear as day what his beliefs are.
    The same as the PM, Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen?

On the other hand, as a good Liberal he has voted for equality.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

No. Ed said he would 'freeze' energy prices - meaning in the event of a fall (which duly happened) consumers would be left paying higher prices.

A 'cap' is different.

Need to see details - it may be good politics but iffy policy.

Nope - the 2015 Labour manifesto said this:

"Labour will freeze energy bills until 2017, ensuring that bills can fall but not
    rise, and we will give the regulator the power to cut bills this winter. During
    the freeze, we will reform the energy market so that it delivers fairer prices
    and a better deal for working families."
    Nice try SO - but no cigar:

Labour would freeze gas and electricity bills for every home and business in the UK for 20 months if it wins the 2015 election, Ed Miliband has said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-24213366

In 2013 at the Labour Conference

Miliband’s eye-catching pledge came a few months before wholesale energy prices began a two-year slide, rendering the idea irrelevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/apr/23/energy-prices-tory-cap-miliband-freeze
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

More votes than in 1992 ?

Not for Labour there isn't.
    Could May smash 14million and 50%? :D:p
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,944
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

One personal thought - Ynys Mon. I really cannot see the Tories taking it. Yes, yes, we can talk about mathematics and swings but let's also remember it is one of the poorest places in Europe (never mind Britain) and it is very much a Welsh language stronghold. Neither are exactly fertile starting points for the blues.

Particularly in light of this announcement today, I would argue the value is in a Plaid gain:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/former-plaid-leader-ieuan-wyn-12935317

But it should also be remembered that regardless of national swings, the last sitting MP to be defeated here was Meghan Lloyd George in 1951 (edit - and it was a seat Labour gained at a time when Liberal transfers to the Tories gave them their first overall majority in 16 years).

I got 4/1 for the Tories yesterday. Pretty happy with that now.
    I wouldn't be. I don't think I'd take less than 6-1.

But stranger things have happened.
    Not confident I'll win the bet, but I'm certainly happy with the implied chance.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The Conservatives know that an awful lot of people approve of her. They don't necessarily particularly like her, but she is respected.

You could argue the toss over whether May or Corbyn is the Tories' biggest asset, but she's certainly valuable to them.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

Scott_P said:

Why was it they so comprehensively failed to articulate a convincing and passionate alternative to Corbyn to their own membership back in 2015, with all the other pitches seeming so utterly insipid and hollow?

Pathetic.

You can argue that was dumb, as it cost them the leadership, but ti would have given them a chance now.

Unlike Corbyn.

The bigger mistake was not resigning the whip when he stayed after the vote of no confidence.
    Their pitch to the country was just as crap: vacuous Blairism-plus, ContinuityBrown and I'maScouserwhowenttoCambridgeandhasneverkissedaTory.

Are there any?

The big mistake(s) Labour have made is to take almost all their voters outside the core cities for granted, ceased to make themselves relevant in an era where There is No Money Left, maintained a total tin ear for the concept of nationhood, and relied almost exclusively on the cuts the Tories have made to do all the hard work for them.

A week or so back I was in Durham Cathedral and there laid up like the colours of old regiments was a Durham Miners banner which contained the portraits of three heroes of the early Labour Movement. I sat and looked at that banner and thought about those men, their times and what they tried to achieve and my mind moved on to more modern times. Attlee, Bevan, Bevin, Dalton, Ede, Wilkinson and their ilk. Then I thought about our modern Labour politicians, Butler, Cooper, Abbott, Watson etc and, of course, the fool in chief, Corbyn. To stop myself feeling sick I had to take Herself off for a drink.
    *weeps*
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

dr_spyn said:

So what do I do that night: I'm off to France on a school trip on the 9th, leaving early (6am ish). Stay up and sleep on the coach (not a great look in front of the pupils) or early night getting up about 3?
    Stay and watch the exit poll then get up a bit early to see if it bore out. I'd guess.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Inspired by Morris battle analogy, I'm thinking of a cricket one. Labour are the Aussies in Melbourne 2010/11 ashes.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,529
    edited April 2017
    ToryJim said:

There must be a whole lot of Tories who recognise this as populist B**llocks: it is complete economic illiteracy, if she goes down this dirigiste road, then the next election she will be flattened. Trouble is that would be 2022 and the damage will have already been done. The foreign owned energy companies will drop the UK like a stone and there will be no investment in power generation, distribution or the grid: result brownouts within 2 years
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    edited April 2017

Typo said:

Well, this one's been put to bed....er...

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/856556769174110208

The Lib Dems were pounding the streets of Oval yesterday, disturbing Sunday lunches. I wonder if this issue
    came up. The avoidance is deafening. It's clear as day what his beliefs are.
    The same as the PM, Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen?

On the other hand, as a good Liberal he has voted for equality.
    Ok, so why won't he be clear when asked about those beliefs? He deflects, obfuscates, gives bullsh*t generalisations. And it isn't a matter of 'his faith is his faith' - he'd answer many other questions about issues his faith is the foundation for, I have no doubt.

We can ask the PM too, I'd be interested to see how she answers.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Makes you wonder how far ahead Tories could be if they had a more popular leader in Wales?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    LOL at May energy price policy. I wonder what Ed Miliband is thinking about it? At least it's a sign (among others such as the triple lock being put under consideration) that May isn't swinging big time to the right. That's been one of my worries - that they may take this opportunity go very rightwards on social issues. But it looks like that won't be the case.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

dr_spyn said:

Stay and watch the exit poll then get up a bit early to see if it bore out. I'd guess.
    Probably the best plan.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,081
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667

Scott_P said:

Pathetic.

Unlike Corbyn.

Are there any?

A week or so back I was in Durham Cathedral and there laid up like the colours of old regiments was a Durham Miners banner which contained the portraits of three heroes of the early Labour Movement. I sat and looked at that banner and thought about those men, their times and what they tried to achieve and my mind moved on to more modern times. Attlee, Bevan, Bevin, Dalton, Ede, Wilkinson and their ilk. Then I thought about our modern Labour politicians, Butler, Cooper, Abbott, Watson etc and, of course, the fool in chief, Corbyn. To stop myself feeling sick I had to take Herself off for a drink.
    My theory is that the important battles that faced those great men have largely been won. The country no longer has vast areas that could be from "the road to Wigan Pier". The great injustices have largely (though not wholly) gone, and what's more, Labour won many of the battles.

But nowadays we're talking about 'relative' poverty. We're talking about the state of the NHS, not the availability of universal healthcare. People have statutory holidays, and there is a minimum wage.

Now Labour's won the big battles, they have to move on to smaller items. And the public gives a heartfelt "meh!"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332

dr_spyn said:

No brainer. Up early. If May has done as well as predicted, a lot of recounts in safe Labour seats will be declaring about then. It's what I will do, albeit I am not off to France that morning!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294

dr_spyn said:

The 3 am wake up might work, if 1997 = 2017.

"At 3.30 this morning John Major, who easily held his own seat, revealed he had telephoned Mr Blair an hour earlier to concede defeat and congratulate the youngest prime minister since 1812, 44 next week."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/feb/19/featuresreviews.guardianreview12
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,059
    edited April 2017

Inspired by Morris battle analogy, I'm thinking of a cricket one. Labour are the Aussies in Melbourne 2010/11 ashes.

More like England captained by Andrew Flintoff in the series before that?

You know, the one in which Steve Harmison bowled a memorable first ball of the series (wicket taking, it was not ...)
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    @AndyJS is right. Labour have nothing left to lose. Knife Corbyn the morning after parliament dissolves, before if they can find a way.
  • Options
    Who's Cheminade, and how crap are they?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

There must be a whole lot of Tories who recognise this as populist B**llocks: it is complee economic illiteracy, if she goes down this dirigiste road, then the next election she will be flattened.
    I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,291

Could it be the only thing holding back a Tory landslide has been the Toff in Ten?
    Joking aside, the WWC labour vote has been waiting for anything that isn't Lord Snooty and now they have it

No, i don't think. This election has become a referendum on how crap Corbyn is. As it was always going to be the moment the dolts in Labour re-elected him.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Ridiculous. Pointing, Johnson and Clarke were great players one of whom was past his best and the other two were having an off series.

Corbyn, Macdonnell and Abbott are just loathsome scum who if they pooled their intelligence and experience would between them create an imbecile who was born yesterday.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Pathetic.

Unlike Corbyn.

Are there any?

My theory is that the important battles that faced those great men have largely been won. The country no longer has vast areas that could be from "the road to Wigan Pier". The great injustices have largely (though not wholly) gone, and what's more, Labour won many of the battles.

But nowadays we're talking about 'relative' poverty. We're talking about the state of the NHS, not the availability of universal healthcare. People have statutory holidays, and there is a minimum wage.

Now Labour's won the big battles, they have to move on to smaller items. And the public gives a heartfelt "meh!"
    If that were so the party would not rebound, ever. Even the most optimistic Tory would not say that I think.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Scroll down to that vote share graph in the article:

1. Labour in steady, more-or-less continuous decline for five years. Tories flatlining for most of that time - until last year around the time of the EU Referendum and the Assembly vote.
    2. Ukip first tracks gently downwards, and then falls off a cliff edge. Tories mop up nearly all of their lost votes, and a few percentage points from Labour for good measure.
    3. Little or no sign of progress from either the Liberal Democrats or Plaid Cymru over the whole of the last five years.

Sums everything up quite neatly: things are moving heavily in favour of only one party. Caveat: the Welsh Barometer is an infrequent series. We could really do with more Wales-only polling over the next few weeks. We need more data to establish whether or not this result could be an outlier.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

@AndyJS is right. Labour have nothing left to lose. Knife Corbyn the morning after parliament dissolves, before if they can find a way.

How? If they could do it they would already have done it.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Love the Labour supporters trying to rubbish the poll as propaganda nonsense onTwitter
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

You will almost certainly know the basic result with the first exit poll at 10pm if it's anywhere near current polling. Even if the pollsters have an awful night, that would only be the difference between a blow-out and a sizable majority.

In 2015, it was close enough that a couple of percentage points error tipped it from largest party to majority party territory. But, like in 1997 or 2001, that sort of error makes no real difference in a landslide.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

There must be a whole lot of Tories who recognise this as populist B**llocks: it is complete economic illiteracy, if she goes down this dirigiste road, then the next election she will be flattened. Trouble is that would be 2022 and the damage will have already been done. The foreign owned energy companies will drop the UK like a stone and there will be no investment in power generation, distribution or the grid: result brownouts within 2 years
    All correct bar one minor point.

There is no way May will be PM at the time of the next election. It is her successor who will be pummelled.

Although that does rather presuppose a surviving opposition party.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

That's for future May to worry about!
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Prodicus said:

Scott_P said:

Pathetic.

Unlike Corbyn.

Are there any?

*weeps*
    I find Hurst Llama's post really moving. The best post of the year IMO.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,081
    kle4 said:

A conspiraloon who's allied with Lyndon LaRouche. Even Corbyn could beat him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

There is no way May will be PM at the time of the next election. It is her successor who will be pummelled.

What makes you say there'll be no way she is PM?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

They don't necessarily particularly like her, but she is respected.
    I think you underestimate the decades May has put in on the rubber chicken circuit with the local associations - she's one of them - unlike the posh boys, who were always a bit de haut en bas.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,397
    It's interesting that all the polls are showing that Labour's vote is fairly stable at a low level (26ish): there isn't a panicky flight from Corbyn. What's happening is that UKIP's vote (some of it former Labour) is going Tory. The poll published earlier this week showing that the Tory score has actually declined in Tory seats while increasing in strong Labour seats is a good illustration. That's as the Tories would want it, in terms of winning seats, though it may not be altogether healthy in the medium term if they can't meet the aspirations of their former Kipper friends.
  • Options
    Still no constituency markets from Ladbrokes. Shame really, previously Shadsy complete with his blackboard was the familiar and friendly face of British political betting.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    ydoethur said:

Ridiculous. Pointing, Johnson and Clarke were great players one of whom was past his best and the other two were having an off series.

Corbyn, Macdonnell and Abbott are just loathsome scum who if they pooled their intelligence and experience would between them an imbecile who was born yesterday.
    I'm talking about the moment in time and what happened that morning, not the career performance of the giants that were slain. Although Michael 'ooh my back' Clarke was never a great against us, just bung down a slow yorker and watch him go into meltdown.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Bit presumptuous of the Tories to change the colour of the flag, that could cost them a vote or two - such hubris.

• Options
    Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

It is populist bollocks. Rotten policy offered by a rotten leader - Ed M. May shouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Axing the green levies would be preferable.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

You will almost certainly know the basic result with the first exit poll at 10pm if it's anywhere near current polling. Even if the pollsters have an awful night, that would only be the difference between a blow-out and a sizable majority.

In 2015, it was close enough that a couple of percentage points error tipped it from largest party to majority party territory. But, like in 1997 or 2001, that sort of error makes no real difference in a landslide.
    Early night it is.
  • Options

It's interesting that all the polls are showing that Labour's vote is fairly stable at a low level (26ish): there isn't a panicky flight from Corbyn. What's happening is that UKIP's vote (some of it former Labour) is going Tory.

Yes, it's little strange that way. It provides hope to Labour, thought at present not a great deal if these things pan out the way the polls suggest.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    The rule of the Fifth French Republic is that every President is worse than the last, Macron fits that sequence, for sure.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

Prodicus said:

Scott_P said:

Pathetic.

Unlike Corbyn.

Are there any?

*weeps*
    I find Hurst Llama's post really moving. The best post of the year IMO.
    Agreed.

The only thing that puzzled me was that I thought Butler was a Conservative.

Then I realised it was a reference to False Dawn Butler, not R A Butler.

I do hope the shade of Lord Butler of Saffron Walden will forgive me such a wicked slur on his flawed greatness, compared to her great flawedness.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

Why do you think May won't be PM by 2022?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

Full You Gov tables for Wales.

twitter.com/YouGov/status/856560178292023296

Bit presumptuous of the Tories to change the colour of the flag, that could cost them a vote or two - such hubris.

We've already done the Scottish one ;)
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Andy has already explained how it could be done - the dissolution of parliament means they could rebel en masse and still fight as anti Corbyn Labour. Nothing stopping them doing it.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    bobajobPB said:

And then? Successor? Watson? McDonnnell?

Successor's pitch?

a) Jeremy was good, just not appropriate for the times. He retires with honour and the thanks of the whole Labour Party for his 32 years of loyalty. Oh, wait...

b) Jeremy has retired for personal/health reasons. Tragic. Heartfelt thanks, etc., and now, ONWARD!

c) Who?

• Options

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

She will be 65 and will have had five years of utter hell sorting Brexit and the resulting fallout plus trying to deal with Nicola Sturgeon and Donald Trump.

She will resign in 2020, I think, if not earlier.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

She will be 65 and will have had five years of utter hell sorting Brexit and the resulting fallout plus trying to deal with Nicola Sturgeon and Donald Trump.

Nonsense.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,138

kle4 said:

No. Ed said he would 'freeze' energy prices - meaning in the event of a fall (which duly happened) consumers would be left paying higher prices.

A 'cap' is different.

"Labour will freeze energy bills until 2017, ensuring that bills can fall but not

Labour would freeze gas and electricity bills for every home and business in the UK for 20 months if it wins the 2015 election, Ed Miliband has said.

Miliband’s eye-catching pledge came a few months before wholesale energy prices began a two-year slide, rendering the idea irrelevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/apr/23/energy-prices-tory-cap-miliband-freeze

Nice try :-D

It's in the manifesto. In black and white: ""Labour will freeze energy bills until 2017, ensuring that bills can fall but not rise." It's precisely what May is proposing.

• Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

The Greens have pinched half the flag!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    kle4 said:

The exit poll was a bit out then. Not massively, but Macron closer to 3% ahead than 2% and Fillon doing a bit better.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Andy has already explained how it could be done - the dissolution of parliament means they could rebel en masse and still fight as anti Corbyn Labour. Nothing stopping them doing it.
    That is the nuclear option though isn't it? There would be a lot of constituencies with two 'Labour' candidates, there would be huge rows over what name they could use and May would be looking at 500+ seats.
  • Options
    Miss Apocalypse

The energy policy is surely an economic policy not a social policy? May likes the Red Tory look - a bit populist left on economics while flag wavey gravy and anti metropolitan "citizens of nowhere" taunting on social policy. She's pretty yukky.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    In regard to HurstLlama's post, many Corbynites see him as being in the mould of an old-school Labour politician.

Yes, they really do.

Of all the pre 1979 Labour figures, the ones that I like the most are Roy Jenkins and Hugh Gaitskell.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    dr_spyn said:

My 1992 election running totals spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10JXFr2nEi6_H_CXvdvrpezS7Rfv6UwzLMrHZcsrsxMI/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    The polls seem to have been pretty accurate for him, perhaps over egging Marine. I reckon that Marine will be about 35% next round.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    Prodicus said:

bobajobPB said:

Successor's pitch?

a) Jeremy was good, just not appropriate for the times. He retires with honour and the thanks of the whole Labour Party for his 32 years of loyalty. Oh, wait...

b) Jeremy has retired for personal/health reasons. Tragic. Heartfelt thanks, etc., and now, ONWARD!

c) Who?

d) Jeremy was an idiot, and thankfully we're rid of him.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

bobajobPB said:

Successor's pitch?

a) Jeremy was good, just not appropriate for the times.

Reminds me of one of the first events of the Labour Leadership contest (maybe even before it officially began), where the candidates were asked what had gone wrong and how it would be fixed, and they were starting with what a great job Ed M had done and all the activists, and the host interrupted, imploring with them that they've heard that already, but they lost quite badly and needed to talk about what had gone wrong.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

That is the nuclear option though isn't it? There would be a lot of constituencies with two 'Labour' candidates, there would be huge rows over what name they could use and May would be looking at 500+ seats.
    Can you register candidates after parliament dissolves? The trick is to stage the rebellion after the registration date, surely?
  • Options
    calum said:
    Who says they live in a parallel universe...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's interesting that all the polls are showing that Labour's vote is fairly stable at a low level (26ish): there isn't a panicky flight from Corbyn. What's happening is that UKIP's vote (some of it former Labour) is going Tory.

Yes, it's little strange that way. It provides hope to Labour, thought at present not a great deal if these things pan out the way the polls suggest.

The expert review on ITV Wales on the all Wales poll said that if anything the poll is overstating labour support. Yes, overstating
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 107
    trawl said:

Ukip Vote Share

Yesterday I mentioned the 1/4 Ladbrokes were offering on UKIP vote share under 10%. Just checked and can't find that market now never mind those odds. Wish I'd got more on.

Coral have also pulled their UKIP vote share market, but Skybet still have theirs up: 5% or less - 9/4; 5.01-10% - 1/2
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 443
    dr_spyn said:

Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

It is populist bollocks. Rotten policy offered by a rotten leader - Ed M. May shouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Axing the green levies would be preferable.
    Looking at what has actually been said about this policy it looks like she isn't offering an absolute cap. Rather she is talking about limiting the differential between a company's most expensive tariff and its cheapest tariff. The idea appears to be an attempt to address the fact that most consumers are on the most expensive tariff.

Something certainly needs to be done about the fact energy companies are able to rely on customer inertia to get consumers onto expensive tariffs.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A 'cap' is different.

It's in the manifesto. In black and white: ""Labour will freeze energy bills until 2017, ensuring that bills can fall but not rise." It's precisely what May is proposing.

So the Tories improved Miliband's initially poor idea and made it into a better less worse one!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,291
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Can you register candidates after parliament dissolves? The trick is to stage the rebellion after the registration date, surely?
    11th May is candidates deadline. 3rd May is dissolution
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    kle4 said:

If that were so the party would not rebound, ever. Even the most optimistic Tory would not say that I think.
    I think that's going a little far. It's just that the foundations on which the Labour party were built have largely disappeared, and it has failed to evolve.

I think Blair recognised this, and this was part (though not all) of his thinking with 'the third way'. A move away from the party's roots towards electibility. An evolution that was sadly reversible.

With the battles won, Labour are left with redundant trade unionism and socialism. Hence Corbyn, and the difficulty in shifting him. Fifty years ago those two factors were supported by real injustices. Nowadays, whilst there are injustices about, they're generally more nebulous.
  • Options
    I might have to go and have a lie down, as I agree with Nick....Lab vote seems to be stuck at 25%. Looks like that might be the bedrock for Labour support, still impressive as we always used to talk about Labour and Tory having a firewall of 30%.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

bobajobPB said:

Just do it and dare Corbyn to put up candidates against them.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A 'cap' is different.

It's precisely what May is proposing.
    Link to manifesto?
  • Options
    calum said:
    I guess she's not supportive of SLAB voters considering tactical unionist voting, eh?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

11th May is candidates deadline. 3rd May is dissolution
    Okay, hang on a week then ;-)
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

It's interesting that all the polls are showing that Labour's vote is fairly stable at a low level (26ish): there isn't a panicky flight from Corbyn. What's happening is that UKIP's vote (some of it former Labour) is going Tory. The poll published earlier this week showing that the Tory score has actually declined in Tory seats while increasing in strong Labour seats is a good illustration. That's as the Tories would want it, in terms of winning seats, though it may not be altogether healthy in the medium term if they can't meet the aspirations of their former Kipper friends.

The sad, dying fall of the final straw being clutched to death.
  • Options
    With a number of old friends - you know who you are - making a welcome return to PB.com over recent days, here's hoping to see a few more of all political persuasions, including my old mucker, Bunnco .... your man on the spot, reporting from Norfolk.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Scott_P said:

Pathetic.

Unlike Corbyn.

Are there any?

A very fair point, Mr. Jessop. Perhaps then Labour, like UKIP, is a party whose job is done. They both have nothing more relevant to say and should go into history together. Perhaps that is the message of this GE, an explanation, if you will, of what is going on.
  • Options
    Here's a little idea to float (I think there's next to no chance of it happening but still, for fun).

Could Labour MPs/candidates wait until close of nominations then en masse say "If elected, we would be led as a Parliamentary group by Cooper, who would be PM if she can command a majority. You can henceforth ignore Corbyn... Cooper is the only person who can speak for the large majority of Labour's candidates in this election"?

It would be too late for deselection, or for Corbynites to put up alternative candidates in seats. It would sideline Corbyn as he'd literally be unable to form a Government under any circumstances - he'd be left leading a grouping of 20-30 MPs seeking re-election and not enough candidates to form a Government even if all were miraculously elected. Even if Labour went with Corbyn and expelled everyone after the election, they'd still be MPs for five years and occupying the front bench.

As I say, won't happen, but fun little idea!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

ToryJim said:

Nonsense.
    Mr Flashman, perhaps you would be good enough rather than snapping random nouns at me, to point out what you perceive as the flaw in my reasoning?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Going to need a bigger medal cabinet than previously imagined....

Britain's Kelly Sotherton is set to be upgraded to an Olympic bronze medal for the second time in five months after retrospective drug tests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/39695739
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

kle4 said:

A 'cap' is different.

So the Tories improved Miliband's initially poor idea and made it into a better less worse one!
    As I wrote the other day:

Miliband proposes freeze = Bad May proposes freeze = good

PB Tories = PB Hypocrites
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Miss Apocalypse

The energy policy is surely an economic policy not a social policy? May likes the Red Tory look - a bit populist left on economics while flag wavey gravy and anti metropolitan "citizens of nowhere" taunting on social policy. She's pretty yukky.

They haven't really said much in the way of social policies, so I only have the economic policies to go off in regard to getting a sense of where May wants to take the country.

I'm with you on your second point, but that kind of rhetoric hasn't been translated into many social policies. I always saw it as a larger symptom of the government not appearing to have a strategy/plan for Brexit.
  • Options
    calum said:
    What is this remarkable lady smoking?

And where can I get some?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    ydoethur said:

calum said:
    What is this remarkable lady smoking?

And where can I get some?
    Is Kezia Dugdale worse than Corbyn ? Or, has she been dealt a poor hand ?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    bobajobPB said:

Mr. Jim, yet entirely predictable.

What do they do if Corbyn refuses to go after the election?

Mr. Rabbit, or, to paraphrase Murray Walked - there's nothing wrong with the Labour Party, except that it's on fire.

.... I hope after the election they either finally get rid of Corbyn or just split. The country needs an opposition.

'What do they do if Corbyn refuses to go after the election?'

This is the key question. Can we get a thread on this from a Labour insider?
    It won't be his decision. He will be challenged - and trounced.
  • Options
    Labour aren't going to change Leader now. The Titanic goes down with Captain Corbyn, there aren't any lifeboats.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

A 'cap' is different.

As I wrote the other day:

Miliband proposes freeze = Bad May proposes freeze = good

PB Tories = PB Hypocrites
    Several PB Tories have acted with hostility to the proposal.
  • Options
    Every day I look at the @newdawn1997 Tweets - a cut and paste job for today's headline writers re 2017. Looks as if Worcester Women & Mondeo Men are no longer voting Labour.

1997 was bad for The Tories, it took them 5 General Elections to get a majority, and even then Cameron contrived to screw things up by that Referendum.

It could be a long way back for Labour.
  • Options

Fox's anecdata:

1) Romsey Constituency, visiting grandpa Fox: Orange diamonds and blue posters sighted in equal (low!) numbers.

2) Overheard train conversation of bunch of students heading London to Leeds. Not v keen on Corbyn, but voting Labour anyway.

3) Naturalised Greek voting LD in Harborough, his British wife voting Labour.

• Options

Fox's anecdata:

1) Romsey Constituency, visiting grandpa Fox: Orange diamonds and blue posters sighted in equal (low!) numbers.

2) Overheard train conversation of bunch of students heading London to Leeds. Not v keen on Corbyn, but voting Labour anyway.

3) Naturalised Greek voting LD in Harborough, his British wife voting Labour.

#2 - Chances they actually get registered and don't forget / oversleep / can be arsed to get to the polling station....very low.
This discussion has been closed.