Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Exit poll says Macron and Le Pen make it into round two.

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2017
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

With Top line Adjustments I get to 9 Con cons

Constituency - Maj
    Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale - 19.694%
    Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk -18.680%
    West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine -7.961%
    Dumfries and Galloway -7.737%
    Moray -4.068%
    Perth and North Perthshire -2.937%
    Edinburgh South -0.663%
    Aberdeen South -0.499%
    East Renfrewshire-0.160%

Other possibles are Angus, Ochil, Banff, Edinburgh SW, Ayr.
    What my modelling, as primitive as it is, is telling me is that there is a huge difference in results in Scotland once a party gets above 25%. It's a step change.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2017
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

I'm struggling to understand why so many seem to want France to join the UK in leaving the EU and even better collapsing the whole project . Why?

It doesn't show a lot of confidence in our decision.

On the contrary, we shouldn't be selfish and keep this wonderful opportunity all to ourselves.

It's the traditional Conservative approach of sharing our success with others.
    Like we will be sharing Gibralter with Spain ;-)
    Like we already share Leicester with Pakistan.
    You display your ignorance. Most British Asians in Leicester are Gujerati origin.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Does Corbyn actually like making jam, or is that just a meme that has arisen due to his other hobbies?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-traingate-labour-leader-jam-a7211486.html

He may hate doing it, of course :D
    And judging by Corbyn’s slightly scratchy response to journalists’ questions about the Virgin incident the next morning, I wonder whether he should have delayed his preserving, promising himself maybe not jam tomorrow but jam this weekend

A cheesy line (not jammy, funnily enough), but I love it.

kle4 said:

Does Corbyn actually like making jam, or is that just a meme that has arisen due to his other hobbies?

There was a real occurrence when he was required to make a statement (I think it was some Labour Party shit going down*).
    I'm appalled you cannot instantly recall specific incidents of Labour Party shit going down - they've been quite rare during his leadership.

A lot of discovering of undercover Tories within and criticism of the same though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894

Jeez.

Sean you have eaten a lot of food. As have we all. It's just that you can write about it very well. You can't judge one sausage as being better than another any more accurately than anyone. But you can do it a lot more articulately.

What a lot of bollocks. If you want to ask someone to recommend a particular wine, do you go to the wine writer, who has tried thousands of bottles over the last ten years, or do you ask your mate, who knows that Lidl does this nice Chilean Merlot for a fiver.

The wine writer, out of sheer width and richness of experience, simply knows more. So you ask the writer. Unless you're an idiot.

Or only have a fiver
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 710

glw said:

Its because in reality he wouldn't. And the one positive (I guess it is), no matter what advice Jezza is getting when push comes to shove he can't ditch his principles on matters. He tries to use the spin doctor lines, but you know he just can't commit and ends up with some yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, invite terrorists on the rampage for a cuppa rather than send the SAS out there.

IF Corbyn won't use force, or at least won't use it without a huge amount of hand wringing, against the leader of Islamic State then when will he use it? He doesn't seem to grasp that as PM he might have mere minutes to make a decision and lives will be on the line, and not just the lives of some terrorist but the lives of British citizens.

How the hell anybody thinks Corbyn has what it takes to be PM is beyond me.
    Minutes to decide, if it is the Monday after a weekend G7 conference, he will be off making jam and not taking any calls. It could be 24hrs before he even starts to think about making a decision.
    Maybe his overriding philosophy is to preserve human life. :smile:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I was in Paris last week. Uniformly friendly service, no problems at all. Food, too, very good. It's the same every time I go there and to Normandy and the South West, the other places I tend to visit. Maybe the trick is not to search for fine dining experiences. As Elizabeth David knew, provincial cooking is where it's at.

The French people I meet work-wise are among the smartest, most dynamic there are. Macron reminds me of them in many ways. France has a shedload of problems, but it also has a lot of positive attributes and a deep well of talent. It will take a lit of work and more compromise than the French are used to, but there is the possibility of a big French future IMO.

I go to France all the time, and eat in all kind of places, from bistros to 3 star Michelin: it's my job. I wish my experiences were as good as yours.

The food is sadly declined. The people are much friendlier than they used to be. Hey ho.

I agree it is still a nation of enormous potential, I fear Macron is not the person to unlock it. We shall see.

We need the PB restaurant reviewers to have the same food from the same place and then give their thoughts.
    I
    *About the only French region I haven't visited is the Loire. As it happens I'm going there tomorrow. To try all the restaurants. Maybe it will buck the trend. I will report back.
    Jeez.

Sean you have eaten a lot of food. As have we all. It's just that you can write about it very well. You can't judge one sausage as being better than another any more accurately than anyone. But you can do it a lot more articulately.
    What a lot of bollocks. If you want to ask someone to recommend a particular wine, do you go to the wine writer, who has tried thousands of bottles over the last ten years, or do you ask your mate, who knows that Lidl does this nice Chilean Merlot for a fiver.

The wine writer, out of sheer width and richness of experience, simply knows more. So you ask the writer. Unless you're an idiot.

Had lunch near your neck of the woods last weekend - The Oslo Court - St John's Wood - ever tried it? Well worth a review!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I was in Paris last week. Uniformly friendly service, no problems at all. Food, too, very good. It's the same every time I go there and to Normandy and the South West, the other places I tend to visit. Maybe the trick is not to search for fine dining experiences. As Elizabeth David knew, provincial cooking is where it's at.

The French people I meet work-wise are among the smartest, most dynamic there are. Macron reminds me of them in many ways. France has a shedload of problems, but it also has a lot of positive attributes and a deep well of talent. It will take a lit of work and more compromise than the French are used to, but there is the possibility of a big French future IMO.

I go to France all the time, and eat in all kind of places, from bistros to 3 star Michelin: it's my job. I wish my experiences were as good as yours.

The food is sadly declined. The people are much friendlier than they used to be. Hey ho.

I agree it is still a nation of enormous potential, I fear Macron is not the person to unlock it. We shall see.

We need the PB restaurant reviewers to have the same food from the same place and then give their thoughts.
    I
    *About the only French region I haven't visited is the Loire. As it happens I'm going there tomorrow. To try all the restaurants. Maybe it will buck the trend. I will report back.
    Jeez.

Had lunch near your neck of the woods last weekend - The Oslo Court - St John's Wood - ever tried it? Well worth a review!
    That is a unique experience. One of a kind. Something to be tried once.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I was in Paris last week. Uniformly friendly service, no problems at all. Food, too, very good. It's the same every time I go there and to Normandy and the South West, the other places I tend to visit. Maybe the trick is not to search for fine dining experiences. As Elizabeth David kere is the possibility of a big French future IMO.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I'm a travel writer, it's my job to try restaurants (of all kinds) and in the last few years I've been to Corsica, Paris (several times), the Dordogne, the Basque Country, the Pyrenees, Brittany, Normandy, Picardy, Lyon, the Beaujolais, Burgundy, the Rhone Valley, the Jura, Lozere, Provence (several times), Marseilles, Languedoc, the Cevennes, the Riviera*, and I've tried the food in all these places and I can compare them to the food in all the other countries I've visited (maybe forty in the last ten years) and I know what I'm talking about and Southam doesn't and French food is in relative decline, sometimes absolute decline.

There. Sorted.

Jeez.

It's all a matter of taste. Your mate may prefer a Petrus '61 while you would rather stick to a bottle of Jacob's Creek. I don't get on with fine burgundies so you can keep your DRCs. Others are of course happy to stump up thousands for them.

Same with literature same with art.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited April 2017
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I
    Jeez.

That is a unique experience. One of a kind. Something to be tried once.
    I've taken people who've not quite got it (foodies, typically) and others who are now devoted fans - met someone who travelled from Newcastle for lunch.

This review captures the spirit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/8966018/Oslo-Court-London-NW8-restaurant-review.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Protesters in Nantes lit flares and carried banners condemning both run-off candidates: "Not a banker, nor a racist."

Oh dear.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Has HYUFD finally given up?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I'm a travel writer, it's my job to try restaurants (of all kinds) and in the last few years I've been to Corsica, Paris (several times), the Dordogne, the Basque Country, the Pyrenees, Brittany, Normandy, Picardy, Lyon, the Beaujolais, Burgundy, the Rhone Valley, the Jura, Lozere, Provence (several times), Marseilles, Languedoc, the Cevennes, the Riviera*, and I've tried the food in all these places and I can compare them to the food in all the other countries I've visited (maybe forty in the last ten years) and I know what I'm talking about and Southam doesn't and French food is in relative decline, sometimes absolute decline.

There. Sorted.

Jeez.

But the average person is perhaps more likely to have a closer taste in wine to his mate than to some wine writer ** and so would get more enjoyment, not to mention value, out of the £5 Chilean Merlot than whatever the wine writer recommends.

** Especially if its one of those charlatan wine writers who can't tell red from white:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html
  • Options
    Baxter gives 11 Scottish Tory seats by the way - that's based on the two recent surveys from Panelbase and Survation. No tactical voting assumed - that could be more substantial and rather more effective this time, perhaps.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

NeilVW said:

@MarqueeMark

Off-topic, late and may already have been answered - but here are Baxter's projected LD seat changes:

Net +2 from 2015 (8->10)
    4 gains: 3 from Lab (Bermondsey, Burnley, Cambridge), 1 from SNP (Dunbartonshire East)
    2 losses to Con (Carshalton, Southport)

Richmond Park they have being re-taken by Con with 63% of the vote, but no doubt the by-election is ignored in this analysis.

Seems that quite a simplistic mathematical model based on UNS is being used here. The notion that the Lib Dems could win the first three Labour seats and the first SNP seat on their target list, arranged in order of swing, yet take none at all from, and lose the two most marginal to, the Tories is evidently the result of such a thing.

I don't have particularly high expectations of the Lib Dems, but I'll be astonished if their final result looks like this.
    Gains from Labour are bound to be alot simpler than gains from the Conservatives though. Even when you add in Leave/Remain factors.

Labour is going backwards, the Tories forwards.

Ultra-leave Twickenham will be won back but Conservative seats in the Southwest are going to be very tough to get back for us.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited April 2017
    AndyJS said:

Typo said:

Any sign of constituency markets for the following seats? None up on BF as far as I can see.

North West Durham
    Worsley and Eccles South
    Hemsworth

I am rather tempted by the Tories at 6-1 in Blyth Valley. Probably a loser but could be worth a punt - there's a huge UKIP vote to be be squeezed, a potential Lib Dem bounce to split the opposition and we are in Leaver territory.

North West Durham and Worsley&Eccles are very possible Tory gains if the lead really is 20%. Hemsworth probably not.
    Not Blyth Valley. Have seen the returns from Council canvassing. There is a squeeze of the UKIP vote, but much of it would see hell freeze over than vote Tory. By contrast Worsley + Eccles, where I worked for a fair while is more well-to-do than many might imagine.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I've actually thought about this quite hard. A couple of years ago I wondered if my mediocre French food experiences were because they were always trying to impress: taking me to the posh places, where you get that over-fussy cuisine and wearying Michelin experience. Tasting menus: ugh.

So I started demanding plebby places, and local favourites, and choosing my own, and asking around: and the experience was the same. A relative decline, and in some places absolutely bad food.

I think part of the explanation is merely relative perceptions. French food was always perceived as the best, but now many other countries have caught up. So French food no longer stands out, which can lead to disappointment.

But there is also an actual absolute problem with hidebound attitudes, an inability to innovate confidently, and labour laws making it cheaper to use a microwave than hire another sous chef. They reflect the wider malaise, perhaps.

Anyhow, I must to bed. Tomorrow: La France!

Same with the plinkity plonkity. Lots of other countries caught up and in many ways surpassed France in terms of productions. Not to say there isn't lots of very good French wine, but there are lots of other countries producing great stuff too.
    Bang on. Some French wine is still amongst the very best in the world. Possibly the best.

But great great wine is now being made around the world, and often at a quarter of the cost. If you want a brilliant wine for £5 or £10 or £20, you generally don't buy French. £100 maybe. But who does that?

Right here at home, the best English sparkling wine now rivals some of the best French bubbles, and is a little cheaper.
    You can't buy a brilliant wine from anywhere for £20.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

alex. said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

There. Sorted.

ALL of them?

Pretty much. You should see my insane itinerary. I also have to visit basically ALL the famous chateaux, vineyards, and gardens.

It's fun, but, eeek.
    You are going to come back one fat bastard.
    Tell me. It is an issue in my job. I don't want to end up like Jay Rayner.

They always want me to have a lavish breakfast, then a lunch at some brasserie, then a wine tasting in the arvo (with nibbles), then a succulent dinner. If I ate it all I'd look like Mr Creosote.

My policy is to starve myself before trips, skip breakfast, and puddings can fuck off. Unless it's Michelin 3 star puds.
    Wouldn't it be easier to let someone else, who might actually enjoy the experience, take the trip ?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    My 2 cents on Paris - I've lived there for a couple years now (although back in UK at the moment), never had a rude experience except with a couple waiters in touristy areas. If anything, they are generally very polite - you have to say Bonjour to people in lifts or in the launderette for example. But I'm from London so my definition of polite is probably skewed.

I can't speak for high class restaurants but on a general "where should we go on saturday evening?" basis, I mostly always eat well.

Biggest problem with Paris is that they don't take care of their city and it stinks of piss far too often.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    alex. said:

Paris may well take Macron narrowly over the line in the first round popular vote but there are still results coming in from Le Pen heartlands in the industrial NorthEast and the SouthEast and Le Pen still has a narrow lead in overall number of departements won
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I've actually thought about this quite hard. A couple of years ago I wondered if my mediocre French food experiences were because they were always trying to impress: taking me to the posh places, where you get that over-fussy cuisine and wearying Michelin experience. Tasting menus: ugh.

So I started demanding plebby places, and local favourites, and choosing my own, and asking around: and the experience was the same. A relative decline, and in some places absolutely bad food.

I think part of the explanation is merely relative perceptions. French food was always perceived as the best, but now many other countries have caught up. So French food no longer stands out, which can lead to disappointment.

But there is also an actual absolute problem with hidebound attitudes, an inability to innovate confidently, and labour laws making it cheaper to use a microwave than hire another sous chef. They reflect the wider malaise, perhaps.

Same with the plinkity plonkity. Lots of other countries caught up and in many ways surpassed France in terms of productions. Not to say there isn't lots of very good French wine, but there are lots of other countries producing great stuff too.
    Bang on. Some French wine is still amongst the very best in the world. Possibly the best.

But great great wine is now being made around the world, and often at a quarter of the cost. If you want a brilliant wine for £5 or £10 or £20, you generally don't buy French. £100 maybe. But who does that?

Right here at home, the best English sparkling wine now rivals some of the best French bubbles, and is a little cheaper.
    Tosh. There are plenty of excellent £20 bottles of wine (before tax).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    1.3 million votes separating the 4 candidates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

There are. But brilliant?
  • Options
    Excellent wine for £20 a bottle can be found here: https://www.bbr.com/own-wine-range
  • Options
    alex. said:

There are no tanks in Baghdad? That HYUFD?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Paris may well take Macron narrowly over the line in the first round popular vote but there are still results coming in from Le Pen heartlands in the industrial NorthEast and the SouthEast and Le Pen still has a narrow lead in overall number of departements won
    He'll be at least a percent ahead of Le Pen
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Le Pen has done very well in absolute terms, her problem is one of expectations management. Not too long ago she was getting 30% of the vote in polls. Her campaign staggered a bit in the end stages but she made no real fuckups apart from perhaps the Val D'Hiv comments. Which makes the reason for decline interesting. I think Melenchon took a lot of her potential voters, he has largely risen at the same time as she declined (obvs Hamon gave the bulk of Melenchon's vote but a chunk from MLP to be sure). Likewise Fillon's minor bounce was probably at the expense of MLP rather than Macron.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Baxter gives 11 Scottish Tory seats by the way - that's based on the two recent surveys from Panelbase and Survation. No tactical voting assumed - that could be more substantial and rather more effective this time, perhaps.

There are 40 Scottish seats the Tories are never going to win and about another 5 almost in the category, so that leaves about 14 possible targets.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Your like CNN trying to find Clinton votes in Detroit/Miami Dade/Milwaukee.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That's a very tough call. In my cellar i have some Mouton Rothschild, some Angelus, and a bottle of Cheval Blanc. But my favourite wine is Ridge Monte Bello.
  • Options
    OUT said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Except Le Pen has already won the Electoral College if France had the US system (ie popular vote winner irrelevant and no runoff)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Are Chestnut and HYUFD still telling us Le Pen is going to win? I hope nobody is daft enough to bet on the strength of their partisan ravings
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That's a very tough call. In my cellar i have some Mouton Rothschild, some Angelus, and a bottle of Cheval Blanc. But my favourite wine is Ridge Monte Bello.
    There you go. All I was saying is that no expert could tell you that you have got it wrong.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Le Pen has done very well in absolute terms, her problem is one of expectations management. Not too long ago she was getting 30% of the vote in polls. Her campaign staggered a bit in the end stages but she made no real fuckups apart from perhaps the Val D'Hiv comments. Which makes the reason for decline interesting. I think Melenchon took a lot of her potential voters, he has largely risen at the same time as she declined (obvs Hamon gave the bulk of Melenchon's vote but a chunk from MLP to be sure). Likewise Fillon's minor bounce was probably at the expense of MLP rather than Macron.
    From a year ago maybe but all but 1 final French poll had Macron ahead and 1 had it tied and presently with over 80% in Macron leads Le Pen by less than 1%
  • Options
    SeanT said:

CROSSOVER

CrossOver or re-CrossOver?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

It's bloody close. Macron is just 12,000 votes ahead with 3% left to count.

It's 23:23 not 24: 21.

Value?
    Indeed, we shall see, Macron probably gets it but not yet certain by any means
  • Options
    A lightning Ipsos poll of second round voting intentions sees Macron beating Le Pen by 62%-38%:
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) In the diving competition, there is an Italian called Maicol Verzotto. Obviously it's pronounced like the English "Michael"; is it a usual name in Italy, or an obscure peculiarism?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

OUT said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Except Le Pen has already won the Electoral College if France had the US system (ie popular vote winner irrelevant and no runoff)
    So Le Pen is president of France and Hillary is POTUS

• Options
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    So is it fair to say that the one liberal anti-Putin candidate is now odds on favourite for the French Presidency? About time we had some good news maybe Vlad is losing his touch. Best not to count our chickens yet given how the last couple of years have panned out though.
  • Options
    From the Guardian: Macron seems to be borrowing from Theresa May's electoral playbook - give me the majority so that we don't get roadblock.

Macron calls for a large governing majority so he can really set about putting his programme into action:

That’s why I want to construct a majority to govern and to transform, of new talents, in which all will have their place. I will not ask where they come from, but whether they agree with the renewal of our politics, the security of the French people, reforming society and relaunching the European project.

You are the face of this renewal. You are the face of France’s hope. My fellow citizens, there is not more than one France. There is only one, ours, the France of patriots, in a Europe that protects and that we must reform. The task is immense, but I am ready, at your sides. Vive la République, vive la France.

To all those who have accompanied me since April 2016, in founding and bringing En Marche! to life, I would like to say this: in the space of a year, we have changed the face of French political life.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I had a very enjoyable Corbiers with my roast beef today, while debating French politics with grandpa Fox.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

True. And a lot of those are French. That's a factor of market size. France produces more wines in greater variety than anywhere else. Wine is a product that doesn't really benefit from scale. Also the weather is nearly optimal.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited April 2017
    Pulpstar said:

NeilVW said:

@MarqueeMark

Off-topic, late and may already have been answered - but here are Baxter's projected LD seat changes:

Net +2 from 2015 (8->10)
    4 gains: 3 from Lab (Bermondsey, Burnley, Cambridge), 1 from SNP (Dunbartonshire East)
    2 losses to Con (Carshalton, Southport)

Richmond Park they have being re-taken by Con with 63% of the vote, but no doubt the by-election is ignored in this analysis.

Seems that quite a simplistic mathematical model based on UNS is being used here. The notion that the Lib Dems could win the first three Labour seats and the first SNP seat on their target list, arranged in order of swing, yet take none at all from, and lose the two most marginal to, the Tories is evidently the result of such a thing.

I don't have particularly high expectations of the Lib Dems, but I'll be astonished if their final result looks like this.
    Gains from Labour are bound to be alot simpler than gains from the Conservatives though. Even when you add in Leave/Remain factors.

Labour is going backwards, the Tories forwards.

Ultra-leave Twickenham will be won back but Conservative seats in the Southwest are going to be very tough to get back for us.
    I wrote a novel on this earlier today so I'll keep my remarks short. I reckon the most likely scenario, assuming that the Lib Dem campaign machine is customarily efficient, and that their vote share neither falls nor increases dramatically (neither of which I expect,) is that the party should win about 10 or 11 seats (of which two would likely be from the SNP, two or three from Labour, and the balance Tory,) and lose 2 or 3 to the Conservatives, which would put it up into the high teens. Certainly if they can get their total up to 20 they'll be doing very well.

In the South West, St Ives is clearly worth a try but I don't particularly fancy the Liberal Democrats' chances. Working back Eastwards, no other gains look to be on the cards until you arrive at Bath, which I view as a likely gain for them.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Actually still less than 1% ahead with 84% in on that site
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

NeilVW said:

There are 40 Scottish seats the Tories are never going to win and about another 5 almost in the category, so that leaves about 14 possible targets.
    You could have said the same about the SNP once upon a time, but I take your point.

Will be interesting to see where Ruth visits.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

OUT said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So Le Pen is president of France and Hillary is POTUS

No, actually Hillary would be President of France and Le Pen would be POTUS if they ran in the other nation
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    That site is slower, I think.
    Check the vote counts. Unless your other site is not http://presidentielle.lepoint.fr/, in which case I apologise.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    Don't think it can be behind, the top two are on 7.5 million / 7.2 million compared to 6.95 million each on the other one.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    Check the vote counts. Unless your other site is not http://presidentielle.lepoint.fr/, in which case I apologise.
    Yes, that's my site. Is it reliable? It seems to update quicker (but I have no real idea)
    That one has Le Pen on 6.955m, whereas the interieur.gov.fr site has her on 7.274m.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    It can't be, the top two are on more than 7 million compared to below on the other one.
    Then I apologise, and you are surely right.

But it is rather closer than most of the exit polls predicted?
    A little closer maybe, although a lot of Paris still to come.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    It can't be, the top two are on more than 7 million compared to below on the other one.

It is but the Paris areas to come may be very heavily for Macron vs Le Pen. Not sure.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    Don't think it can be behind, the top two are on 7.5 million / 7.2 million compared to 6.95 million each on the other one.
    Yep, my bad (and I hope no one betted on my idiocy).
    At least you didn't wipe billions off global stocks... :smiley:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

But great great wine is now being made around the world, and often at a quarter of the cost. If you want a brilliant wine for £5 or £10 or £20, you generally don't buy French

This is my specialist subject, and I disagree except at the cheapest end. The best value good wines in the world currently are predominantly French, most especially from the Southern Rhone and Languedoc-Roussillon - and particularly the whites, which are a still bit of a secret. Also the Loire. They've really upped their game over the last ten years or so.

It's probably still true that the best value cheap wines (drinkable plonk) are from outside France - Australia, NZ, Chile. So, yes, for £5, you're probably right.

As for serious fine wines, France dominates, but there are some very good ones from Italy, Spain, California. But there's no price advantage over France - often they are more expensive.

And for a really special occasion you want Champagne, followed by Bordeaux or Burgundy, don't you?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Here you go, a truly magnificent wine for £20

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/cvne+imperiale+rsrv+doca+rioja+alta+spain/2010/uk

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/es-imperial/wines/imperial-rioja-reserva-2010
    But less than 17% of the ratings are 5/5.

So you might think its a 'truly magnificent wine' but most people don't.

Its all a matter of personal taste and having an overly refined palette means you give reviews which don't match those of the average person.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The French seem to be faster at counting votes than we are. Is there a reason for that?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Mortimer said:

Labour 4/6 to win Rhondda must be value now.
    Balls. Thought that was a sure fire Wood gain...
    She would not have won it anyway. Support for Plaid is much stronger at Welsh Assembly elections.
  • Options

The French seem to be faster at counting votes than we are. Is there a reason for that?

Counting machines/electronic voting or some other forms of disgusting technology...
  • Options

SeanT said:

But great great wine is now being made around the world, and often at a quarter of the cost. If you want a brilliant

This is my specialist subject, and I disagree. The best value good wines in the world currently are predominantly French, most especially from the Southern Rhone and Languedoc-Roussillon - and particularly the whites, which are a still bit of a secret. Also the Loire. They've really upped their game over the last ten years or so.

It's probably still true that the best value cheap wines (drinkable plonk) are from outside France - Australia, NZ, Chile.

As for serious fine wines, France dominates, but there are some very good ones from Italy, Spain, California. But there's no price advantage over France - often they are more expensive.

And for a really special occasion you want Champagne, followed by Bordeaux or Burgundy, don't you?
    Southern Rhone wines can be extraordinary.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @britainelects: Scottish independence voting intention:

Yes: 43% (+2)
    No: 45% (+1)

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb
  • Options
    Pas-de-Calais:

Le Pen 34%
    Melenchon 19%
    Macron 18%
    Fillon 14%

http://presidentielle.lepoint.fr/pas-de-calais/?
  • Options

Like most countries they count at the most local level, whereas we transport the votes often quite long distances before starting to tally them.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    Fighting between protestors and riot police in Paris at the Place de la Bastille. White anarchist types by the looks of it. What if it spreads to the banlieues?

Just wait until Mayday weekend. There will be enormous marches by both the left and the far right.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

SeanT said:

But great great wine is now being made around the world, and often at a quarter of the cost. If you want a brilliant

This is my specialist subject, and I disagree. The best value good wines in the world currently are predominantly French, most especially from the Southern Rhone and Languedoc-Roussillon - and particularly the whites, which are a still bit of a secret. Also the Loire. They've really upped their game over the last ten years or so.

It's probably still true that the best value cheap wines (drinkable plonk) are from outside France - Australia, NZ, Chile.

Côtes du Rhônes Villages whites are our favourites, but they're next to impossible to find in New York. It really is a culinary and oenophilic wasteland here.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb

Ugh.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Rioting in Paris at the Place de la Bastille.

Just wait until Mayday weekend,

Isn't that par for the course?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb

Ugh.
    Margin of error. Not like that 18% change we saw earlier.. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb

Yes vote now identical to SNP's
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

It is but the Paris areas to come may be very heavily for Macron vs Le Pen. Not sure.
    Looking at the Ministry of the Interior site, much of Paris and environs, plus all of Marseilles and Lyons have yet to declare so there's lots of scope for Macron to make more differential gains over Le Pen.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

Southern Rhone wines can be extraordinary.

When I first got seriously interested in wine, the Southern Rhone was of little interest other than the best (red) Chateauneuf du Pape - and much Chateauneuf du Pape was distinctly poor. The whites were verging on undrinkable. Now the whole region is one of the most reliable sources of both reds and whites, especially Cairanne.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If Blair stands anywhere, surely it ought to be Islington North. (Assuming he's an independent).
  • Options
    rpjs said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Looking at the Ministry of the Interior site, much of Paris and environs, plus all of Marseilles and Lyons have yet to declare so there's lots of scope for Macron to make more differential gains over Le Pen.

Le Pen may well win the Marseilles region
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    People on PB sounding wanky over plonk and fine dining....never happens here....I repeat never ever happens...

Now flying first and business class and what the business lounges are like around the world, well that's a total different matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Melenchon now leads in Seine-Saint-Denis in northern Paris, Macron now ahead just there but Le Pen getting over 22%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb

A published SNP poll number of 43% would exclude don't knows - taking out those from this BMG poll it's 51% No, 49% Yes.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb

A published SNP poll number of 43% would exclude don't knows - taking out those from this BMG poll it's 51% No, 49% Yes.
    Yes so the core nationalist support is still 43% when you look at the full Scottish electorate even on that poll
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    France has roughly the same population as the UK, but they've already counted more votes than the total number of ballots cast at the last British general election.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Perhaps surprisingly, Melenchon is leading in a 3rd mainland region - Saint Denis - just to east of Central Paris.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If Blair stands anywhere, surely it ought to be Islington North. (Assuming he's an independent).

He would not want to lose, so could not risk it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

(via BMG)
    Chgs. w/ Feb

Ugh.
    Calm down:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/856120837476319232
    Better.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

France has roughly the same population as the UK, but they've already counted more votes than the total number of ballots cast at the last British general election.

Glad we don't copy them. I want to enjoy a nice long night (and morning) of entertainment on June 8/9. :smile:
  • Options
    Plus, not as good for betting if it's so quick - I imagine.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2017
    Typo said:

Any sign of constituency markets for the following seats? None up on BF as far as I can see.

North West Durham
    Worsley and Eccles South
    Hemsworth

I am rather tempted by the Tories at 6-1 in Blyth Valley. Probably a loser but could be worth a punt - there's a huge UKIP vote to be be squeezed, a potential Lib Dem bounce to split the opposition and we are in Leaver territory.

There are 3 "Valley" seats that look like decent stretch targets - Rother, Don & Blyth. All about the 7-9k majority range, and all whopping UKIP votes last time.

Cynon Valley will prevent a "Valley sweep" :smile:
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    HYUFD said:

Melenchon now leads in Seine-Saint-Denis in northern Paris, Macron now ahead just there but Le Pen getting over 22%

Le Pen only on 14% there.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    FN got just over 25% in the Departmental elections in 2015. Doesn't that mean Le Pen is performing worse? Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2017

FN got just over 25% in the Departmental elections in 2015. Doesn't that mean Le Pen is performing worse? Or am I missing something?

Lower turnout then, they already have far more actual votes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

There are 3 "Valley" seats that look like decent stretch targets - Rother, Don & Blyth. All about the 7-9k majority range, and all whopping UKIP votes last time.

Do you want me to go and do a door to door opinion poll in Harthill ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966

Lower turnout then, they already have far more actual votes.

But a lower vote share?

• Options

In vote share yes. But in terms of people voting for her/her party, I don't think so. So the change from 2015 due to higher turnout amongst rest of population most likely.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

AndyJS said:

Glad we don't copy them. I want to enjoy a nice long night (and morning) of entertainment on June 8/9. :smile:
    Got that right. Drama needs dragging out.
  • Options

The Departmental elections did not include Paris or Lyon so they exaggerated the success of the FAN.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pas-de-Calais:

Le Pen 34%
    Melenchon 19%
    Macron 18%
    Fillon 14%

http://presidentielle.lepoint.fr/pas-de-calais/?

She is performing very slightly worst than in the Departmental elections in 2015, when she got allot 40% in the Region. She managed to add about 3% in the second round.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    kle4 said:

NeilVW said:

AndyJS said:

I couldn't imagine anything more dreadful than knowing the result straight away, and I say that as someone who sweated three times through watching my own votes being counted on election night.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Le Pen is actually winning departments in the South and the north like the Pas de Calais and Meurthe the FN did not win in 2015 though Macron is winning a few in Brittany and on the west coast like Charente-Maritime they did win
    http://presidentielle.lepoint.fr/?&p=compare
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_departmental_elections,_2015
  • Options
    Looks like Hamon has done slightly worse than the polls were saying. Currently on 6.2%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

NeilVW said:

AndyJS said:

We should get results more quickly this time however, due to the lack of local elections on the same day meaning no separation of ballot papers required. Turnout will also play a part in the speed of course - on balance perhaps a bit down on 2015.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    'The real winner of the French presidential election? François Hollande'

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/04/real-winner-frances-presidential-election-francois-hollande/
This discussion has been closed.