Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two local by-elections tonight – both LAB defences

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Why? Seriously?

I saw it on The Trip and it looked great.

So many mega-hyped restaurants disappoint. But when they fulfil your expectations, it is amazing.

TBH it's not a style of restaurant I particularly like in general - an '18 course tasting menu' sounds and can be tedious even if the execution is good.

But the reality was different. For a start, they don't serve 18 courses in succession, they start by serving three or four dishes, rather like canapés or tapas, together, and then go on to more substantial main dishes. So the overall structure of the meal is very well thought out and balanced - it's not just the fireworks of the individual dishes, but a coherent whole.

And then - every single one of the 18 dishes was spectacular. No exceptions, and none where you thought 'Hmm, interesting, but not actually very nice to eat'. Just 18 dishes of perfection, every one intriguing but not over the top in showmanship.

Also excellent service, very professional but also quite informal and friendly.

It's not something you'd want every day, but it was, even at £437 + service, good value (that was with champagne to start with and a decent wine), in the sense that I'd rather experience that once than three meals at £150 for two in a well-regarded but more ordinary place.

• Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

Floater said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Chameleon said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

Popped in for a bit of Aberlour-fuelled banter after the football to see PB's usual suspects live commentating on a terrorist attack. To the penalty shoot out in the Lyon match instead.

Au revoir, dickhead.
    Another gem from the "you okay, hun" repertoire. Shape the fuck up.
    Pot something, kettle something.
    A genius writes. All for free, on PB.
    Are you drunk bob?
    How could we tell?
    He seems a tad irritable

Bobajob can see Labour losing heavily on June 8th?
    Let's hope so.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

Is there value in finding a marginal where Labour could hold on against the national swing? If its anywhere you'd assume its London constituencies surely.

Ilford North might be an example.
    Very big Jewish community, which should be bad for Corbyn's Labour. Wes Streeting is very anti-Corbyn of course, but I doubt that will save him.
    The percentage dropped from 10.3% to 6.5% between 2001 and 2011. The same trend would give 4.2% today.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/guide/seat-profiles/ilfordnorth/
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/ilfordnorth/
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Slight swing to the Tories but Labour should be happy enough with this - unless the Independent is basically a Tory?
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/855192589464686594

The Independent candidate was one of the UKIP candidates last time
    Thanks - that makes this more of a hmmmm then :)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Popped in for a bit of Aberlour-fuelled banter after the football to see PB's usual suspects live commentating on a terrorist attack. To the penalty shoot out in the Lyon match instead.

Lets just bury our heads in the sand then eh

Just wait a while. The live commentary is embarrassing, and very often wrong.
    You think the president has it wrong?
    Probably not. But I'd rather listen to him than the geniuses on here. In the past, I've seen PBers write - in all seriousness- that Jo Cox was a false flag operation by the Remain campaign. The Westminster Bridge incident saw several posters claim there was a second shooter (there wasn't). A third case had some morons getting very excited that an assailant was called something Middle Eastern sounding when he turned out to be a French Canadian called Alexandre. PB's record on this is fucking embarrassing.
    Ah yes - he was still a Muslim though wasn't he (the French Canadian)

Most people on here wait - the early signs on this one were pretty clear.

No, he was a white supremacist who supports Marine Le Pen. Clear... as fucking mud.
    You are embarrassing yourself - go get some sleep
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145

Pulpstar said:

I might be on at 4-9 too.

Ashfield at 7-2 looks worth a small punt, especially as Bassetlaw is at a rather more unappealing 5-4.

As it happens, I was just paging through the odds, and the three seats I noted as possible goodies that I haven't yet bet on were Ashfield, Bassetlaw and B'rum Selly Oak.
    Bassetlaw is a bet on whether John Mann's personal vote holds.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Pulpstar said:

The turnout for the #Blacon by-election is 25.4% The result is expected after 11.45pm: http://cwac.co/FCFKM
    0 replies 4 retweets 0 likes

Ridiculous! That's only a few hundred votes- maybe a thousand, tops. Why is Local Government so inefficient? A few bank tellers (or bookies) used to handling lots of small bits of paper could do the job in a few minutes.
    It is around 2,600 votes
    OK, sorry! In that case I take most of it back - but I still reckon that for one by-election the Council would have more people at their disposal to get the thing processed a lot quicker than in 1Hr 45Mins.
    They could but why should they?

Assuming those counting are paid to do the counting, it's generally cheaper to pay one person for four hours than four people for one hour (as people will have minimum shift lengths, its unreasonable to expect someone to work for only one hour etc)
    Council By elections are a rare event for most authorities - maybe one a year? Why don't the Electoral Registration people do it as part of their job? It's a special occasion, after all, and I expect the Councillors would be interested in the outcome as well as us.
    Again probably way more expensive. Local councils will have local people who can do the job. If it was outsourced like you suggest then you could see someone having to commute from their home to all over the country every Thursday. One week they'd be travelling to Cornwall, the next week to Scotland. And given that it's happening on a Thursday night there's no chance of them being back home after they've finished so they'd have to get a hotel and travel down the next day. Who'd want to do that and why?

Or you can get someone who already lives locally to work a couple of hours. Far more efficient and cheaper.
    Surely the Electoral Registration people work for the local Council?
    So you want local people to do the counting? Isn't that what happens already.

If you're expecting extra local people to do the job then they would deserve to be paid for the overtime.
    Why? I frequently used to work unpaid overtime - it was expected of me. Why shouldn't Council Officers do the same occasionally?
    Because as you've already acknowledged this is not a normal part of the job, it is something that happens only very occasionally.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    edited April 2017
    Y0kel said:

Is there value in finding a marginal where Labour could hold on against the national swing? If its anywhere you'd assume its London constituencies surely.

Daggers obvs!

4/6 seems incredible, but shrewder bettors than me don't like it

5/6 now!!

51 councillors out of 51, never been anything but Labour, Tories 3rd last time...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Chameleon said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

Au revoir, dickhead.
    Are you drunk bob?
    How could we tell?
    Admittedly sobriety or otherwise is hard to discern with your good self, given that all your posts are auto-generated from a Central Office script.
    Go back to whining about child tax credits......
    A topic I haven't mentioned for about five years. .
    That's how tedious it was.......
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Chameleon said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

Au revoir, dickhead.
    Are you drunk bob?
    How could we tell?
    Admittedly sobriety or otherwise is hard to discern with your good self, given that all your posts are auto-generated from a Central Office script.
    A topic I haven't mentioned for about five years. The Central Office IT data systems are clearly in desperate need of an upgrade.
    Which screen name was that posted under?
    Bobajob - although I wouldn't expect everyone to grasp that bobajobPB is the same bloke
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Lib Dems Under 18.5 seats on betfair @ 4.4. Seems like a good bet to me.

In any case, I would be personally happy if they go over that so i'll be good either way.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Chameleon said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

Au revoir, dickhead.
    Are you drunk bob?
    How could we tell?
    A topic I haven't mentioned for about five years. The Central Office IT data systems are clearly in desperate need of an upgrade.
    Which screen name was that posted under?
    Bobajob - although I wouldn't expect everyone to grasp that bobajobPB is the same bloke
    Given you have had more screen names than Corbyn has had car crash interviews it is always just worth checking.
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Chameleon said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

Au revoir, dickhead.
    Are you drunk bob?
    How could we tell?
    He seems a tad irritable

Bobajob can see Labour losing heavily on June 8th?
    We can all see that
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Probably not. But I'd rather listen to him than the geniuses on here. In the past, I've seen PBers write - in all seriousness- that Jo Cox was a false flag operation by the Remain campaign. The Westminster Bridge incident saw several posters claim there was a second shooter (there wasn't). A third case had some morons getting very excited that an assailant was called something Middle Eastern sounding when he turned out to be a French Canadian called Alexandre. PB's record on this is fucking embarrassing.

No, he was a white supremacist who supports Marine Le Pen. Clear... as fucking mud.
    OMG I agree with Bobajob :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City_mosque_shooting
  • Options
    Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

You are embarrassing yourself - go get some sleep
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38805163
  • Options
    Especially for slightly pickled Bob

The Champs Elysee attacker, like the majority of France’s terrorists, was believed to be “known to police”.

The man has not been officially identified.

But, the fact he was familiar to authorities, will raise yet more questions about how able Europe’s police forces are to cope with the large number of potential attackers.

It takes at least 20 police to follow one person around the clock: the simple fact is that police have to chose who to follow. And sometimes they make the wrong decision.

All three of the terrorists in the January 2015 Charlie Hebdo attacks – Cherif and Said Kouachi, and Amedy Coulibaly – were known to police.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    French 2012 election
    Mélenchon, Hollande, Bayrou, Sarkozy, Le Pen

Averages in the last five polls before the first round:
    13.5% --- 28.3% --- 10.3% --- 26.1% --- 15.8%
    Actual scores:
    11.1% --- 28.6% --- 9.1% --- 27.2% --- 17.90%

Summary:
    far right UP 2%,
    far left DOWN 2%,
    left NO CHANGE
    "centrist" DOWN 1%
    sitting LR (UMP to be exact) president UP 1%

There's no equivalent now to a sitting LR president, but the general picture is this:

rightwingers UP, especially the far right
    far left DOWN
    centrists DOWN A BIT
    So the picture was one of a shy right and even shyer far right.

Using this as a basis for predicting R1 scores in 2017, we get this:

•Le Pen will come first
    •Fillon may manage to beat Macron and make it to second place.

R2 in 2012:
    Sarkozy 44.2% --- Hollande 55.8%
    Actual scores:
    Sarkozy 48.4% --- Hollande 51.2%

Summary:
    right wing UP 4%
    left wing DOWN 4%
    So again, a "shy right" picture.

Average in most recent five polls in 2017 for a Le Pen-Fillon runoff:

Le Pen 42.2%
    Fillon 57.8%

From this base, Le Pen would need a huge swing of 8%. If she does fight Fillon, will she get it? It will be very interesting to watch the polls that are published tomorrow, the last day before R1 that polls are allowed to be published.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Y0kel said:

Barking 1/18?

Tories 8/1 there
  • Options

It's not something you'd want every day, but it was, even at £437 + service, good value (that was with champagne to start with and a decent wine), in the sense that I'd rather experience that once than three meals at £150 for two in a well-regarded but more ordinary place.

This is the thing about top-end gastronomy - it's amazingly cheap in relative terms.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Hmm, I know its the home of anti Corbyn's, but even for that this is a brutal piece. Cheer up lads, worst case there'll still be a quarter of MPs.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/04/20/corbyn-has-doomed-labour-time-to-vote-tactically-for-the-strongest-opposition-to-brexit/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Trump on Paris attack
    "Our condolences from our country to the people of France," he said. "It looks like another terrorist attack and... what can you say? It just never ends."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39662219
  • Options
    All Conservative supporters should take up the 1/8 on Labour holding Bolsover.

Its a nice return in seven weeks and would you mind if you lost ?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Especially for slightly pickled Bob

The Champs Elysee attacker, like the majority of France’s terrorists, was believed to be “known to police”.

The man has not been officially identified.

But, the fact he was familiar to authorities, will raise yet more questions about how able Europe’s police forces are to cope with the large number of potential attackers.

It takes at least 20 police to follow one person around the clock: the simple fact is that police have to chose who to follow. And sometimes they make the wrong decision.

All three of the terrorists in the January 2015 Charlie Hebdo attacks – Cherif and Said Kouachi, and Amedy Coulibaly – were known to police.

What's your point? Go back to the French Canadian thread and you will see for yourself. Edit: I see Sunil has made the point for me.

Good night!
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    HYUFD said:

Unlikely pairing of Chuka Umunna and Ann Widdecombe together on the This Week sofa tonight

Gina Miller , could there possibly be a worse cheerleader for remainaics?
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

Floater said:

bobajobPB said:

OMG I agree with Bobajob :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City_mosque_shooting
    And I think I was thinking of another attack, my apologies
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Fair play. Colour me convinced.

I'm gonna pitch a "Luxurious Lakes" idea to the Sunday Times.

Ta!

The only caveat is that I wasn't very impressed by their suggested wine pairings by the glass. Very expensive, not particularly classy wines, too many (you really don't want to keep switching wine every few minutes) and too much quantity. So we went for a bottle of a very good white Chateauneuf-du-Pape instead, which stood up to pretty much everything. Well, other than the deserts, natch, but they have sweeties by the glass..
  • Options

So betfair have the LibDems at 28.5 o/u seats but 7/4 to win Bath ?

Are they expecting 15 LibDem gains from Labour ?

They bet Burnley 8/13, Lib dem 5/4 labour
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Dawn Butler's interview on the PM programme on Radio 4 is at 9 mins:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m8z3b

It's well worth a listen. Probably the most cringeworthy political interview of the year.
    It's so bad I feel sorry for her. She's clearly out of her depth.
    I tried listening, honest, guv. But about 2 minutes was all I could stand.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

French 2012 election
    Mélenchon, Hollande, Bayrou, Sarkozy, Le Pen

13.5% --- 28.3% --- 10.3% --- 26.1% --- 15.8%
    Actual scores:
    11.1% --- 28.6% --- 9.1% --- 27.2% --- 17.90%

Summary:
    far right UP 2%,
    far left DOWN 2%,
    left NO CHANGE
    "centrist" DOWN 1%
    sitting LR (UMP to be exact) president UP 1%

There's no equivalent now to a sitting LR president, but the general picture is this:

rightwingers UP, especially the far right
    far left DOWN
    centrists DOWN A BIT
    So the picture was one of a shy right and even shyer far right.

Using this as a basis for predicting R1 scores in 2017, we get this:

•Le Pen will come first
    •Fillon may manage to beat Macron and make it to second place.

R2 in 2012:
    Sarkozy 44.2% --- Hollande 55.8%
    Actual scores:
    Sarkozy 48.4% --- Hollande 51.2%

right wing UP 4%
    left wing DOWN 4%
    So again, a "shy right" picture.

Average in most recent five polls in 2017 for a Le Pen-Fillon runoff:

Le Pen 42.2%
    Fillon 57.8%

From this base, Le Pen would need a huge swing of 8%. If she does fight Fillon, will she get it? It will be very interesting to watch the polls that are published tomorrow, the last day before R1 that polls are allowed to be published.

Fascinating, thank you.

Where i have no dog in the race and a poor chance of judging who would be best, like foreign elections, I generally hope for the closest possible contest. Go Le Pen and Filion.
  • Options
    He sounds like a winner

The 39-year old gunman was known by intelligence services for radicalisation and had previously targeted police 16 years ago in a car chase, when he opened fire on officers, according to reports.

During questioning in a police station, he managed to get hold of a police weapon and fire five times. The policeman survived, but the man was sentence to several years in prison for the attack.

The gunman, who has a previous murder conviction, had recently been detained for questioning in a police station in Meaux, outside Paris, after "informants" had indicated that he was "seeking to obtain weapons to kill policemen", according to reports.

But due to a lack of evidence, anti-terror prosecutors "let him go".

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476
    Tony said:

HYUFD said:

Unlikely pairing of Chuka Umunna and Ann Widdecombe together on the This Week sofa tonight

I voted Remain but she makes me want to break things!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Trump on Paris attack
    "Our condolences from our country to the people of France," he said. "It looks like another terrorist attack and... what can you say? It just never ends."

Trump - for all his many odious and egregious faults - has the knack of nailing a mood, once in a while, and expressing it in exactly the right way:

"What can you say? It just never ends"

Is pretty much perfect.
    Agreed. Obama actually came close to saying something like that with the last mass shooting he had to comment on - depressed and defeated, but honest. Obviously you hope for solutions from your leaders, but in their absence you take what you can I guess.
  • Options
    Floater said:

He sounds like a winner

The 39-year old gunman was known by intelligence services for radicalisation and had previously targeted police 16 years ago in a car chase, when he opened fire on officers, according to reports.

During questioning in a police station, he managed to get hold of a police weapon and fire five times. The policeman survived, but the man was sentence to several years in prison for the attack.

The gunman, who has a previous murder conviction, had recently been detained for questioning in a police station in Meaux, outside Paris, after "informants" had indicated that he was "seeking to obtain weapons to kill policemen", according to reports.

I wonder when he got out of prison from the offenses 16 years ago?
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile Macron was in conversation with Obama today on defending their 'progressive values'
    https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/855129811144118274

Smart for him to do so, makes him look like a President in waiting. Obama remains very popular in France and even more so when compared to Trump. Obama obviously didn't make any back of the queue comments to the French so hasn't dented his reputation there either.
    It will certainly go down well in most of France and especially in Paris but I think the more depressed industrial areas of France are as unenthused by 'progressive politics' as the rustbelt was in the US and that will be the base for Le Pen's vote in the runoff
    Macron will be quite content for it to be him v Le Pen in the runoff. He'd be a locked-on certainty by that point.

The biggest risk for Macron is that his vote doesn't turnout and he gets pipped out of a Fillon v Le Pen runoff.
    Probably, though if Macron does get through polls now suggest Le Pen will run him closer than Fillon would
    My French other half has gone to bed in a huff , switching to Le Pen from Macron.
    The waltzing of the terrorists across the open border from Belgium has gone down very badly.
    No doubt she'll be back to Macron after breakfast :)
  • Options
    isam said:

I prefer Bath for the LibDems.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    In 2003 he was sentenced to 20 years inside a high security prison following the attacks in Roissy-en-Brie, also in Seine-et-Marne.

But he was let out early following an appeal ruling.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Floater said:

He sounds like a winner

Do you have a source for this? Utterly unbelievable, should have been locked up still for his murder conviction.
  • Options
    Tony said:

HYUFD said:

She is clearly angling for that role, Suzanne Evans now on for leavers
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Trump on Paris attack

Trump - for all his many odious and egregious faults - has the knack of nailing a mood, once in a while, and expressing it in exactly the right way:

Is pretty much perfect.
    Straight talking is what got him the role
  • Options

Floater said:

He sounds like a winner

Do you have a source for this? Utterly unbelievable, should have been locked up still for his murder conviction.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4430542/Paris-killer-talked-wanting-kill-Telegram.html
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Tony said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile Macron was in conversation with Obama today on defending their 'progressive values'
    https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/855129811144118274

Smart for him to do so, makes him look like a President in waiting. Obama remains very popular in France and even more so when compared to Trump. Obama obviously didn't make any back of the queue comments to the French so hasn't dented his reputation there either.
    It will certainly go down well in most of France and especially in Paris but I think the more depressed industrial areas of France are as unenthused by 'progressive politics' as the rustbelt was in the US and that will be the base for Le Pen's vote in the runoff
    Macron will be quite content for it to be him v Le Pen in the runoff. He'd be a locked-on certainty by that point.

The biggest risk for Macron is that his vote doesn't turnout and he gets pipped out of a Fillon v Le Pen runoff.
    Probably, though if Macron does get through polls now suggest Le Pen will run him closer than Fillon would
    My French other half has gone to bed in a huff , switching to Le Pen from Macron.
    The waltzing of the terrorists across the open border from Belgium has gone down very badly.
    No doubt she'll be back to Macron after breakfast :)
    Interesting, if in the privacy of the polling booth a few more French voters do the same Le Pen could top the poll in the first round at least but we will see. At the moment Macron is narrowly ahead of Le Pen, I still expect them both to go through to the runoff
  • Options
    Conservative to win Brentford at 4/7 looks better value than 2/9 to win Ealing Acton.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

He sounds like a winner

Good god. Some questions to be asked. Just fucking lock them up forever. They are like pedophiles. They do not change.
    I can't see Corbyn agreeing with your statement...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

Burnley voted 67% for Brexit. Labour should be favourites surely..
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Trump on Paris attack

Is pretty much perfect.
    Sean and Richard

If you come to NYC, you must try out Contra. 7 course prix fixe for $67 (ok, it's just about to go up to $74). The best meal I had in ages, with everything new and surprising. Combinations of flavours that not only were unexpected, but worked, paired with wines that were odd on their own, but worked with the food.

A truly stunning find:

http://contranyc.com

As Richard noted re the lake district restaurant, the food was coupled with excellent, knowledgeable but informal service.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Trump on Paris attack

Is pretty much perfect.
    Agreed. Obama actually came close to saying something like that with the last mass shooting he had to comment on - depressed and defeated, but honest. Obviously you hope for solutions from your leaders, but in their absence you take what you can I guess.
    Honesty makes up for a lot
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    Y0kel said:

Lab Bristol West @ 2.87 on BF sportsbook looks good.

It's a 3-way left wing fight with the tory/UKIP vote too low to matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

Corbyn is very appealing to lots of 2015 greens. The Lucas lot (or even, conceivably, LD's) may take it - but with national polling as it is - Lab are surely still favs.

Lab should probably be >50% (odds-on) IMO.
  • Options

isam said:

I prefer Bath for the LibDems.
    Yes. The Lib Dems have been over-backed in several seats but 7-4 in Bath is too generous.

Small UKIP vote (6%), relatively big Labour and Green votes (13% and 12%). Environmentalist ex-Green running for Lib Dems. Clear Remain majority in June. Tory MP has been in news for the wrong reasons. If the Lib Dems get 20 seats, I can't see why Bath wouldn't be one.
  • Options
    Is Conservative 3/10 to win Clacton free money now that Carswell is voting for them ?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Surreal on TW just now - Chuka as nonplussed as the rest of them!
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited April 2017
    I can't see what the complaints are about. Reporting on this one in Paris has been fairly on the mark.

1. Definitely on radar and not the standard 'we had him on file and spoke to him 5 years ago but considered no threat'

2. The name has appeared on IS paperwork in the past.

Known quantity, open and shut.

But, is he Belgian at all?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Pong said:

Y0kel said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

Corbyn is very appealing to lots of 2015 greens. The Lucas lot (or even, conceivably, LD's) may take it - but with national polling as it is - Lab are surely still favs.

That would have been my pick until Labour started banging on about £70k being Richy McRich Face....there are a hell of a lot of folk there that earn that kind of money or are kids at uni from families who do.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Y0kel said:

I wonder whether the LDs might stand aside here.
  • Options
    Labour 3/1 to hold Enfield North might be good value.

This is a constituency which has had big demographic changes.

On the current boundaries it would have been won by the Conservatives in 2001 but was Labour in 2015.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Trump on Paris attack

Is pretty much perfect.
    Egregious is a great and interesting word. It's etymology, as you probably know, is e-grex. "Standing out from the flock".

Initially this was meant positively, as in just "outstanding". Now it has come to mean "outstandingly bad".

So, egregious, "standing out from the flock", now describes the errant or black sheep of the flock.
  • Options

Pong said:

Y0kel said:

Why ?

Its a former seat, they have councillors and many of their voters would vote Conservative instead.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Damn, I've been in the States too long. Automatically read nonplussed in the US sense (unimpressed), rather than the British one, rendering your comment nonplussing (UK sense).
  • Options

Pong said:

Y0kel said:

Not in a seat they held two years ago. And the relations with the Greens locally are too icy. This isn't a value judgment... just saying it won't happen.

(Cue it happening).
  • Options

Is Conservative 3/10 to win Clacton free money now that Carswell is voting for them ?

I think so. But there may be better free money options about.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Dadge said:

Damn, I've been in the States too long. Automatically read nonplussed in the US sense (unimpressed), rather than the British one, rendering your comment nonplussing (UK sense).
    Is there a way for you to watch British TV over there?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    François Fillon has called for the election campaign to be suspended, in solidarity with the victims of this evening's attack. It has to stop at midnight tomorrow anyway.

He says

"We must show our solidarity with a French population which has good reason to be increasingly worried in the face of ever more of these terrorist attacks. The fight against Islamic totalitarianism, against those who order these attacks, against those who are at the origin of the rise of this intolerance, this integrism (the closest equivalent may be "fundamentalism" - Translator's Note) must be the number one priority of the next president of the Republic and the government."
  • Options
    stjohn said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Trump on Paris attack

Is pretty much perfect.
    Egregious is a great and interesting word. It's etymology, as you probably know, is e-grex. "Standing out from the flock".

Initially this was meant positively, as in just "outstanding". Now it has come to mean "outstandingly bad".

So, egregious, "standing out from the flock", now describes the errant or black sheep of the flock.
    Just noted the evolution of the meaning of nonplussed in the US away from the UK meaning.
  • Options

Pong said:

Y0kel said:

Not in a seat they held two years ago. And the relations with the Greens locally are too icy. This isn't a value judgment... just saying it won't happen.

(Cue it happening).
    Well it would be pretty much a sine qua non for the Greens to do any sort of deal with the LDs - if in return they stood aside throughout the SW London targets would that be fair?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Dadge said:

There's only one meaning - perplexed, bewildered:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nonplus
  • Options

Pong said:

Y0kel said:

(Cue it happening).
    Well it would be pretty much a sine qua non for the Greens to do any sort of deal with the LDs - if in return they stood aside throughout the SW London targets would that be fair?
    As I say, not a value judgment on whether it should happen. Just a strong prediction that it won't.

I'd also say Sheffield Central is the best prospect of a Green gain. I doubt it will happen there either, but there are fewer arguments against.
  • Options
    Many posters below.

So there are a handful of possible Labour hold outs against the predicted national swing to the Conservatives.

Just picking the right ones...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926
    Just catching up with This Week on I-Player.

Gina Miller threatening legal action again... Is she a "double agent" for LEAVE?
  • Options
    Labour to win Blackburn at 1/6 should be safe and profitable - 29% ahead in 2015 and with favourable demographics.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Gina Miller threatening legal action again... Is she a "double agent" for LEAVE?

What now?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    GIN1138 said:

Seriosuly?? What's she suing about this time?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926

GIN1138 said:

What now?
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

If the vote at the end isn't "meaningful" enough for her she's going back to court...
  • Options
    Plans to house up to 28 of the most dangerous extremist inmates in England and Wales in three “separation centres” away from mainstream prisoners are to go ahead, the Ministry of Justice has announced.

The first of the three separation centres – known as “jihadi jails” – will be opened in HMP Frankland high-security prison in the coming weeks with two others to follow.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/21/extremist-inmates-to-be-held-in-separation-centres-inside-prisons
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

What now?
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

If the vote at the end isn't "meaningful" enough for her she's going back to court...
    May's majority means she'll be able to make it very substantive.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Betfair does seem a bit generous at the moment - Tory 1/7 overall majority - is any savings account offering that for 50 days? I suppose some unexpected event might intervene but it'd have to be pretty cataclysmic.
  • Options

Plans to house up to 28 of the most dangerous extremist inmates in England and Wales in three “separation centres” away from mainstream prisoners are to go ahead, the Ministry of Justice has announced.

The first of the three separation centres – known as “jihadi jails” – will be opened in HMP Frankland high-security prison in the coming weeks with two others to follow.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/21/extremist-inmates-to-be-held-in-separation-centres-inside-prisons

Who'dve thunk it?
  • Options
    Express/Mirror running story of possibly two Tory MPs defecting to the Lib Dems.....
  • Options

Express/Mirror running story of possibly two Tory MPs defecting to the Lib Dems.....

Can't see that story on Mirror website.
  • Options

Any guesses? Anna Soubry maybe.
  • Options

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/two-pro-remain-tories-talking-10265497

From a LD source. Ton of salt on standby.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I am still very cautious about all these crazy stories of Tories taking Bootle type results. Remember Cleggasm, when push came to shove people went nope can't do it, Labour it is even though Gordon is a moron.

The Cleggasm was a rather odd, ‘twitter generation’ inspired resurgence that failed to turn-out and vote. The ridiculous polling the Blues are now seeing is something else entirely, however, you are right to be cautious. Polls have been wrong before and we are still 6 weeks out from the election.
    7 weeks actually.
  • Options
    Completely unrelated to anything on this thread.

The apparent departure of GOP Congressman Jason Chaffetz. Says he is not running again with no understandable reason, now rumoured to be on the verge of resigning, rumours that foreign agencies are involved, rumours the authorities are investigating him.

All very odd but in the atmosphere over there at the moment, all very curious.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Said yesterday that it was viable to see a move, Conservative to Lib Dem. Somehow though you can see the response line, about flushing out the Euro-wets.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Y0kel said:

AndyJS said:

Said yesterday that it was viable to see a move, Conservative to Lib Dem. Somehow though you can see the response line, about flushing out the Euro-wets.

We have heard what Kim Jong May has done to Reckless and Carswell....I don't fancy trying to defect and it being taken lightly.

Probably have to watch out for a stiletto (of the shoe variety) in the back.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    This being shared in my left wing(ish) facebook bubble;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154595358212525&set=a.90617342524.95526.683822524&type=3

I'm not convinced Theresa May and the new (old) tories are really fully on board with this NHS privatization stuff. She doesn't come across (to me at least) as a small-state tory like Cameron & Osborne were.

I think, even many traditional conservatives are pissed off with stuff like this and wouldn't have a problem ditching the NHS outsourcing crap.

Does the contract with Virgin Health for paediatric services really save that much money?

Is it really worth the agro?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Easter Day saw a 4 part series on Smithsonian called "The Real Jesus of Nazareth" hosted by Robert Powell.

All I remember about him is he starred in the Zeffirelli Jesus thing and married Babs of Pan's People.

He looks a bit older.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Easter Day saw a 4 part series on Smithsonian called "The Real Jesus of Nazareth" hosted by Robert Powell.

All I remember about him is he starred in the Zeffirelli Jesus thing and married Babs of Pan's People.

He looks a bit older.

He was in Holby City or Casualty for a number of years.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

He looks a bit older.

He was with Jasper Carrott in The Detectives - my classmate's dad did the theme music to that!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    This ran during the Big Bang Theory this evening.

Rocket man and ostriches - whoda thunk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKd24UCPYY
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Tim_B said:

He looks a bit older.

He was with Jasper Carrott in The Detectives - my classmate's dad did the theme music to that!
    The Detectives was great.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Tim_B said:

This ran during the Big Bang Theory this evening.

Rocket man and ostriches - whoda thunk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKd24UCPYY

I'm not sure the hashtag translates well to Britain: #dowhatyoucant
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Completely unrelated to anything on this thread.

The apparent departure of GOP Congressman Jason Chaffetz. Says he is not running again with no understandable reason, now rumoured to be on the verge of resigning, rumours that foreign agencies are involved, rumours the authorities are investigating him.

All very odd but in the atmosphere over there at the moment, all very curious.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=Chaffetz affair
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Not sure sky news are wise running a piece talking about the fact chief constable s have quietly told them that smaller cities in the UK couldn't cope with a maurading terrorist attack.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

AndyJS said:

Big scoop for the Express/Mirror if these Tory to Libdem MP defections happen, and especially when its very rare for defections to be so clearly briefed to give key media a scoop. Usually parties manage to keep them as underwraps as Theresa May did this snap GE until the planned announcement.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    God the former advisor to Ed miliband on sky is really annoying loudmouth, talking over the presenter and oakenshott.
  • Options

God the former advisor to Ed miliband on sky is really annoying loudmouth, talking over the presenter and oakenshott.

Botting wearing Tory Blue :)
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,437
    The story that Tory associations have yet to select candidates is interesting, this eelction has genuinely caught the Conservative grassroots out, this has got to assist the Lab incumbents they are targetting and following the expenses row of 2015 (story yet to be fully told - prob not till after the elctions) I would suggest that it will be a harder struggle for the grassroots than folk may suggest, I am not sure of the figures, but Tory membership has dwindled a fair bit in recent years, that plus a strained relationship between CCHQ and the Welsh Tories and a sense of abandonment by some candidates over the 2015 expenses means my instinct is that the Tories may not find it all plain sailing - not to say a Labour win but winning those target seats will not be that easy where the incumbent is dug in. My feeling is talk of a massive Tory majority is misguided. May's clunky media style may come to hamper her as the campaign develops and I am not sure the likes of Johnson and Fox are likely to win over Labour voters
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Not sure sky news are wise running a piece talking about the fact chief constable s have quietly told them that smaller cities in the UK couldn't cope with a maurading terrorist attack.

I was watching Sky News coverage and also following Adam Boulton on twitter speculating as to the reason why Theresa May was going to make an unscheduled announcement outside No10 Downing Street on Tuesday. Adam Boulton actually read out the critical email he had immediately received from Fiona Hill (Joint Chief of Staff to Theresa May) on the back of one particlar area of speculation on air when he got it. She had a point if he had no verification for making that assertion, especially when you consider the magnitude of the announcement she then made instead.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,045
    @Cyclefree

Sorry to hear about your troubles earlier: I hope your cheese is holding your hand - hospitals can be lonely.Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.