Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The French Presidential polls edge back a touch to Macron who

Comments

• Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

She thought the EdStone was a brilliant idea special.

"Just because they are carved on a tablet, doesn't mean they are written in stone..."
    Holy shit, she actually said that:
    https://leftfootforward.org/2015/05/heres-what-lucy-powell-really-said-about-labours-edstone/
    You can see why I'm voting tactically for her can't you?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    ToryJim said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL!

So Theresa's personal ratings against Jezza are almost double those Thatcher had against Foot.

Thatch's majority in 1983 was 144 so if we double that with Theresa's personal rating we get a Con majority of around 280?

As Ave It would say... Com Gain... Everywhere! :D
    I'm fairly sure 465 seats is a tad optimistic ;)
    You think? ;)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    ToryJim said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL!

So Theresa's personal ratings against Jezza are almost double those Thatcher had against Foot.

Thatch's majority in 1983 was 144 so if we double that with Theresa's personal rating we get a Con majority of around 280?

As Ave It would say... Com Gain... Everywhere! :D
    I'm fairly sure 465 seats is a tad optimistic ;)
    Baxter Con 57%, Labour 19%, LD 7%, UKIP 7%, Green 4%: Con 494

So 465 seems a tad conservative :)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

Sure, but we are not asking to keep the bits we like

ROFLMAO

"Please, please, please keep the headquarters of the club we just left here, please..."
    The issue isn't whether the agencies stay here, it's whether we have to pay costs if the EU27 (not the UK) decide to move them. What on earth have any such costs to do with us? We won't be members of the club. We won't even have a vote in their decision.
    Yes, they are free to move them .. .and pay for the costs of doing so.
  • Options

Perhaps we should suggest that their money would be more effective if invested in the constituency markets :InnocentFace
    I'm trying my best to convince them to do that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    Scott_P said:

"Just because they are carved on a tablet, doesn't mean they are written in stone..."
    Surely the most memorable line of the 2015 campaign. Truly epic.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

None. They could choose to not relocate their agencies if they wanted.

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    No, you lost. If you and your like had put one tenth of the effort into campaigning that you put into doing your primary school sneak act on the internet (Ooooh Miss! Miss! Gove and Johnson have been writing on the school bus! Oooh Miss, May told an untruth about election dates! Tell them the didn't orter!) David Cameron would be in Downing Street today.
    I don't think it was effort but strategy. Few of us could have anticipated how the fear of an invasion of foreigners would swing the result.
    For an ad man, you don't know much about people!

Having the Referendum timed to be within a fortnight of the immigration numbers coming out was just plain dumb-as-a-brick stupid by Remain.
    It was a mad decision but it wasn't part of the Remain strategy. It was 100% a decision by Cameron. He just hadn't thought it through
    In one of the greatest ironies in UK politics, Cameron decided to hold the referendum in June 2016 and not say April 2017 because he didn't want this Parliament to be dominated by the referendum.
    One day we might be able to laugh at that. But it's too soon.
    Some talk of Cameron joining TM in campaigning in the south west. If true good move as he is popular there
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Noone seems to know precisely what is going on but one source suggests to me Coyne was ahead in early counting - not being confirmed

Clearly if he was ahead he must have cheated and so needed to be suspended...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

https://leftfootforward.org/2015/05/heres-what-lucy-powell-really-said-about-labours-edstone/
    Oxford standards are definitely slipping...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We are talking about the terms on which we leave. Which are negotiable.

No, we are talking about the act of leaving, which apparently our Minister for Brexit hasn't grasped yet

The UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, minister David Davis will fight to keep the European Medicines Agency in London, despite the country leaving the EU.

The Financial Times has reported
    Yeah, let me stop you there.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Floater said:

Poor old Scott has gone slightly unhinged post referendum.

I am not the one whining about the effects of leaving :smile:
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Have you contracted to Putin for a bit of election-swinging? If so, I think we should be told!
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We are talking about the terms on which we leave. Which are negotiable.

No, we are talking about the act of leaving, which apparently our Minister for Brexit hasn't grasped yet

The UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, minister David Davis will fight to keep the European Medicines Agency in London, despite the country leaving the EU.

The Financial Times has reported that the Brexit secretary doesn’t accept that the European drugs regulator and its 900 staff need to depart from London when the UK exits the European Union – despite Europe’s leaders indicating that this would be impossible.

The FT reports that Davis also believes that the UK can also retain another key EU institution, the European Banking Authority (EBA), also located in London. Having the agencies is a reflection of the country’s strength in banking and in pharmaceuticals, and they have strengthened the attractiveness of the UK sector.

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/uk-hasnt-given-keeping-european-medicines-agency/

This endless whining of the Brexiteers about the bad things that are happening as a result of Brexit is really tiresome, and now we have another 5 years to go instead of 2.

Awesome...
    Interesting, isn't it? Many voters care about immigration. The politicians seem to care most about grovelling to loan sharks and drug pushers providing accommodation for the public-spirited regulators of the big banks and pharmaceutical companies.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Floater said:

UNITE election v tight - Order Order

So Len's rival gets suspended ......

Purges are what the left does.
    If Len can be ousted from UNITE, then next Labour leadership election looking up for moderates.
    Means the far left definitely can't get the McDonnell amendment through in September.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"Please, please, please keep the headquarters of the club we just left here, please..."
    The issue isn't whether the agencies stay here, it's whether we have to pay costs if the EU27 (not the UK) decide to move them. What on earth have any such costs to do with us? We won't be members of the club. We won't even have a vote in their decision.
    What it has to do with us is that we decided to host the agencies and then held a referendum on leaving. If we considered our membership to be a temporary affair, we shouldn't have bid to host EU agencies.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2017

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but comically inept Labour politicians on the telly and radio are now a daily (almost hourly) event. It's not as if you're preserving an endangered species. I'll put it down to nostalgia. Plus, strangely alluring (and I need help).
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Dear Colleagues

This is to advise that Gerard Coyne has been suspended from his duties as Regional Secretary pending an investigation into certain issues which have arisen. I will be continuing as Acting Regional Secretary whilst this investigation takes place. The investigation is, of course, being conducted under procedure, and it should not be assumed that any offence has necessarily been committed. You will appreciate that it is not possible to comment further on this matter.

Yours

Des Quinn
    Acting Regional Secretary

• Options

Anorak said:

With 24% leads for the Tories, I'd hate for Lucy Powell to lose her seat.

She's special and needs to be in Parliament.

Strangely-alluring special, or short-bus special?
    Am I being slow? You're voting for her becasue she's a window-licker, but a Labour window-licker and having window-lickers is damaging to Labour? Fair dinkum!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Important hairdresser anecdote:
    my mother has informed me her hairdresser was thinking of voting Labour, saw Corbyn on the TV, and has decided he just can't.

Contrary to my expectations, both she (and hairdresser) approve of the early election.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

I am not the one whining about the effects of leaving :smile:
    Got your head around immediate negative effects of the VOTE to leave yet?

Nope, thought not.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit is the only answer we have been given so far. [...]

Brexit means this. A pretty tough set of negotiating guidelines from the EU, but it looks like they have it locked down. I don't think the final outcome will deviate much from it.

That's their starting position, yes. Not their red lines.
  • Options

Have you contracted to Putin for a bit of election-swinging? If so, I think we should be told!
    Find out whether it works for François Asselineau first!
  • Options
    Message to OGH

Bring back "Tim" "RodFromCrosby" and "Plato" for the next seven weeks! :smiley:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Roger said:

OT. Interestingly for an area supposedly sympathetic to the far right I have yet to see a poster for Marine Le Pen without a Hitler moustache.

Put the pen down Roger...

Have I missed one?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

I was going to suggest the same thing.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Got your head around immediate negative effects of the VOTE to leave yet?

Like the EMA moving?

Yep. When will the Brexiteers catch up?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but comically inept Labour politicians on the telly and radio are now a daily (almost hourly) event. It's not as if you're preserving an endangered species. I'll put it down to nostalgia. Plus, strangely alluring (and I need help).
    I might do a Lucy Powell as next Labour leader thread this weekend.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

What it has to do with us is that we decided to host the agencies and then held a referendum on leaving. If we considered our membership to be a temporary affair, we shouldn't have bid to host EU agencies.
    What are the details of the leases on the buildings?
  • Options

my mother has informed me her hairdresser was thinking of voting Labour, saw Corbyn on the TV, and has decided he just can't.

Contrary to my expectations, both she (and hairdresser) approve of the early election.

I am really really struggling with this idea that the public seem super keen to get stuck into a GE.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Anorak said:

And that just because the statements were carved into stone didn't mean they were, metaphorically, set in stone.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Patrick said:

Anorak said:

Am I being slow? You're voting for her becasue she's a window-licker, but a Labour window-licker and having window-lickers is damaging to Labour? Fair dinkum!
    I think that it may be because an MP window-licking gets more attention than an ex-MP window-licking. Hence it is more likely that we get to see it.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

When we bid for these agencies, as full members, I don't recall us signing a contract to say we'd have to pay expenses if the other members decided to move the agencies were we to leave. But perhaps you know better.

In fact we've got an excellent offer for them. Not only are we happy for them to save their money by letting them keep the agencies here, but also it is universally recognised that London is the best place for them (well, universally apart from those countries wanting to host them themselves, but not wanting to pay any removal costs). What's not to like?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Is that the whiff of panic from the Hard Left that I smell in the spring air?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

I'm fully behind that strategy.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

What's fantastic about it is the piece says 'this misrepresentation' will be in the papers, criticising that, but what she said was still epically stupid, and the context, of what perhaps she was trying to say, doesn't really help.

Many politician flubs get called 'car crash' like or embarrassing - Powell's actually lived up to that hype, for once.

I have always assumed she must be great at the other aspects of her job, otherwise putting her into that position made no sense.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, it's contrary to my assumption too, but polling did say 68% approved of holding the snap election.
  • Options

I am really really struggling with this idea that the public seem super keen to get stuck into a GE.
    Maybe the public are intending to pull a spectacular one on the pollsters / establishment?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

It's an overextrapolation on that people support the calling of one, according to the polls, Which doesn not necessarily mean people are super keen.

Edit - in the turnout sense particularly.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Given your background Jack, can you advise on good books on the Cause and the Risings

At the exchange rate of one Ayrshire Turnip (AT) to the £, I recommend the following :

The Jacobite Cause - Bruce Lenham - AT3
    The 45 - Stuart Reid - AT10
    1715 - Daniel Szechi - AT20
    Inglorious Rebellion 1708, 1715 and 1719 - Sinclair-Stevenson - AT5

The 1715 is more difficult to find but the others are usually available from ebay at the above prices. Some sellers may not accept root vegetables as payment - shocking I know !!

Cheers Jack
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Apologies if I missed this being retweeted earlier...

https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/855046335111843841
  • Options
    Difficult seats to predict:

Leeds North East
    York Central
    Eastbourne
    St Ives
    Edinburgh South
    Sutton & Cheam
    Newport West
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, Emmanuel Macron last matched at 1.76, Francois Fillon last matched at 5.2, Marine Le Pen last matched at 5.3, Jean-Luc Mélenchon last matched at 19.
  • Options

On topic, Emmanuel Macron last matched at 1.76, Francois Fillon last matched at 5.2, Marine Le Pen last matched at 5.3, Jean-Luc Mélenchon last matched at 19.

Reassuring.
  • Options
    Mr. T, still can't believe he went for the Little Englanders line (or that a few others here thought it was good).

Mrs C, if the 2015 polling told us anything, it was that the British electorate like taking the piss out of pollsters.

Six solid months of neck-and-neck polling, then a shock Conservative majority.

It's unlikely the polls are underestimating Labour this time.
  • Options

Now that is genuinely a funny situation. Almost no one will notice or care, but just plain funny.

Genuinely don't see why his suspension has not been resolved one way or another already in any case.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

I might do a Lucy Powell as next Labour leader thread this weekend.
    you have a cruel streak Mr Eagles

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427

Maybe the public are intending to pull a spectacular one on the pollsters / establishment?
    Approving of something occurring doesn't imply you will be involved. I am happy for the Eurovision Song Contest to happen but I rarely actually watch it.
  • Options
    Why is Brenda from Bristol all over the news when her view on the election being called has been shown by several pollsters to be at odds with most voters? Bizarre.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, fake news?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

They cannot be serious.

They ought to remember what happened when Athenians tried something similar with Alcibiades.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,943
    edited April 2017

Your book is green again by the way. (Unless you've altered it significantly)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Pulpstar said:

Even Money for Bermondsey and Old Southwark Lib Dems.

I would back that, and simultaneously sell the LDs at 31.

S&OB is one of the most pro-Remain seats in the country, it is demographically moving (slowly) away from Labour, and it is one of the smaller Labour leads over the LibDems.

You will probably win both bets, and it seems to me extremely unlikely the LDs could get to 31 seats without picking up S&OB along the way.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,759

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

There's will be a haggle and a figure will be arrived at. That figure will be closer to €60 billion than €6 billion. There's a lot of other stuff to sort out, including residence issues for EU citizens and, possibly new, an EU requirement that anything that relates to the EU-UK relationship will be adjudicated by the ECJ on EU law, including any future trade agreement, transition arrangements and the Article 50 withdrawal agreement itself. Could be tricky. Then there will be an outline discussion of a potential FTA for after Brexit and a possible circumscribed and time-limited transition arrangement.

We could walk away, but I don't think we will, as we don't have a better alternative. In that case it will be pretty much as the negotiation guidelines have it.

The main thing that comes through is a complete lack of trust. The EU clearly doesn't trust our government as far as it can throw it. I don't think Mrs May and her sidekicks have done a good job of building trust.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

They can be rebanned afterwards but we need to keep the "entertainment" levels up for the next seven weeks... ;)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    stodge said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Should say that my Tory voting, but considering going LD acquaintance was also uncertain because they'd read Tim Farron thinks homosexuality is sinful - seems like they still need to get ahead of that whole issue and clarify his position some more, or it might cost a few crucial votes.

Straight out the Tory Scumbag`s Handbook of Dirty Tricks, Mr Kle, following on from the baying pack of Tory MPs in the House of Commons yesterday. Keep repeating it often enough, and people will come to believe it.
    The Lib Dems would know all about dirty tricks.

Farron's views on homosexuality are absolutely relevant as the leader of a liberal party.
    Seriously, David ?

Tim is a committed Christian and that's fair enough and clearly you could argue there's more than one line in the Bible (the one I'm thinking of is somewhere in Leviticus) that opposes gay sex.

However, until and unless that becomes part of LD policy and politics, I really don't care. Many politicians, including those Conservatives who supported Section 28, have been on a personal journey and I respect all who have done so. Tim's parliamentary record isn't perfect but his personal beliefs (whatever they are) only become an issue when and if they become part of his politics and if he tries to inculcate them into party policy.

He hasn't to my knowledge. The Party stands full square in support of the LGBT community and all this is a bit of media obfuscation. Should we not hold Theresa May to the same standard ?

You can hold all leaders to the same standard. Farron gave an answer this week though; it's not like trawling up ancient history.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Why is Brenda from Bristol all over the news when her view on the election being called has been shown by several pollsters to be at odds with most voters? Bizarre.

Probably because the election has interfered with the holiday plans of most of the MSM...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

+1
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    JackW said:

‪I'm no fan of Mrs May but this is bollocks. Lots of PMs call early elections. ‬

https://twitter.com/undefined/status/854731569860403200

Who was the last PM with a working majority who called a general election three years early ?
    Baldwin in 1923 .
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

They can be rebanned afterwards but we need to keep the "entertainment" levels up for the next seven weeks... ;)
    I didn't think our timmy was banned. Wasn't it to do with someone posting his real name/address (which was pretty despicable).
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

There's will be a haggle and a figure will be arrived at. That figure will be closer to €60 billion than €6 billion. There's a lot of other stuff to sort out, including residence issues for EU citizens and, possibly new, an EU requirement that anything that relates to the EU-UK relationship will be adjudicated by the ECJ on EU law, including any future trade agreement, transition arrangements and the Article 50 withdrawal agreement itself. Could be tricky. Then there will be an outline discussion of a potential FTA for after Brexit and a possible circumscribed and time-limited transition arrangement.

We could walk away, but I don't think we will, as we don't have a better alternative. In that case it will be pretty much as the negotiation guidelines have it.

The main thing that comes through is a complete lack of trust. The EU clearly doesn't trust our government as far as it can throw it. I don't think Mrs May and her sidekicks have done a good job of building trust.

You are so right. All we have to do now is decide where we will sign the surrender document.

• Options
    I think Rod is probably very busy fighting his computer which is currently saying No everytime he requests a new prediction based on the latest set of polling!!!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    No, you lost. If you and your like had put one tenth of the effort into campaigning that you put into doing your primary school sneak act on the internet (Ooooh Miss! Miss! Gove and Johnson have been writing on the school bus! Oooh Miss, May told an untruth about election dates! Tell them the didn't orter!) David Cameron would be in Downing Street today.
    I don't think it was effort but strategy. Few of us could have anticipated how the fear of an invasion of foreigners would swing the result.

Having the Referendum timed to be within a fortnight of the immigration numbers coming out was just plain dumb-as-a-brick stupid by Remain.
    Yes. Cameron fucked up the timing so badly. And the dramaturgy. He should have stormed out of the negotiations saying This isn't good enough!", then he could have threatened to campaign for Leave unless he got something more, then six months later Brussels would have yielded some meaningless "better deal"....

All of this should have been pre-arranged and secretly choreographed with Paris and Berlin and the Commission...

What a dork he was. Just a very bad politician. BAD.
    Tim always said as much. History proved him on the money about Cameron and Osborne in the end.

Incidentally as you are a "public figure" you could get yourself a "blue tick" on Twitter? :D
  • Options

You are so right. All we have to do now is decide where we will sign the surrender document.

Maastricht...
  • Options
    edited April 2017

FF43 said:

Luckily the French have a few spare. Obligatory clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUKEVU-TwM
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"building trust"

funny how it seems to be onesided

which of us could pick fault with those paragons of virtue Juncker, Merkel and Hollande who have done so much to ensure we stay in the EU.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Because she has a fun regional accent?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

That's your term for it. Do you think we will?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Even Money for Bermondsey and Old Southwark Lib Dems.

Bermondsey could be one of the only seats in England where the Tory vote goes down if there's a big tactical effort to reinstall Hughes.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

I didn't think our timmy was banned. Wasn't it to do with someone posting his real name/address (which was pretty despicable).
    I think something like that happened. I had a few weeks away from PB due to illness and when I returned Tim had "departed" :(
  • Options
    stodge said:

Tim is a committed Christian and that's fair enough and clearly you could argue there's more than one line in the Bible (the one I'm thinking of is somewhere in Leviticus) that opposes gay sex.

What???

Leviticus also sets out the rules for keeping slaves, death as a punishment for blasphemy and outlaws the slaughter of animals outside of Temples.

Can we expect abbatoir closure, slavery and stoning in the Lib Dem manifesto?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Maastricht...
    Lueneburg Heath where they signed the last time.

Then we can re integrate Hannover.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"building trust"

which of us could pick fault with those paragons of virtue Juncker, Merkel and Hollande who have done so much to ensure we stay in the EU.
    Possibly so. We're the ones leaving and we might expect Theresa May to want Brexit to be the success she claimed it would be. The onus is surely on her to reach out?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

It was me. But I didn't dox him. His true identity address was revealed by someone else, weeks before, then when he was winding me up with personal remarks about some stuff I said on Twitter, I riled him back with a link to his name on a news item.

He quit.

He could be a mean son-of-a-bitch but I'd welcome him back, because he was also acute and sometimes very funny.

Rod Crosby is also missed. But this is not my site.
    Still somewhat out of order, if you don't mind me saying. Not sure how his quitting addressed the issue, tho.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:
    Let me guess, this idiot falls into the category of ‘least likely to vote’ and probably won’t?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347

stodge said:

What???

Leviticus also sets out the rules for keeping slaves, death as a punishment for blasphemy and outlaws the slaughter of animals outside of Temples.

Would make it more interesting, that is for sure.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

It was me. But I didn't dox him. His true identity and address was revealed by someone else, weeks before, then when he was winding me up with personal remarks about some stuff I said on Twitter, I riled him back with a link to his name on a news item.

He quit.

He could be a mean son-of-a-bitch but I'd welcome him back, because he was also acute and sometimes very funny.

Rod Crosby is also missed. But this is not my site.
    Wasn't Tim an outright misogynist bully?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"building trust"

Possibly so. We're the ones leaving and we might expect Theresa May to want Brexit to be the success she claimed it would be. The onus is surely on her to reach out?
    Is it ?

It takes two to tango and the people who got us out have all departed. The ones who forced us out are still there
  • Options

stodge said:

What???

possibly in Rusholme
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"building trust"

I think her Achilles heel is a slight inferiority complex vis a vis Cameron. She wants to show she's a superior negotiator which necessitates aiming for a theatrical 'victory' in Brussels.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

It was me. But I didn't dox him. His true identity address was revealed by someone else, weeks before, then when he was winding me up with personal remarks about some stuff I said on Twitter, I riled him back with a link to his name on a news item.

He quit.
    Still somewhat out of order, if you don't mind me saying. Not sure how his quitting addressed the issue, tho.
    Meh. He was cruel and vindictive, even bullying, when he wanted to be. I feel no remorse.

I just miss his wit and insight.
    He gave as good as he got (which was often a hell of a lot). I was never quite sure where the misogyny claims came from.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

You're making the basic assumption that they'd be prepared to return, which I very much doubt. Life moves on, especially in the world of blogging
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"building trust"

I think her Achilles heel is a slight inferiority complex vis a vis Cameron. She wants to show she's a superior negotiator which necessitates aiming for a theatrical 'victory' in Brussels.
    guffaw

Camerons crap EU negotiation skills were only exceeded by Blairs
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

What I take from this is that trust is a one way thing. It's wholly explicable that the Commission has no trust in HMG. If HMG doesn't trust the behaviours of the Commission then that's wholly HMGs fault.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    It's madness for anyone to think that there won't be a final bill for us to exit the EU. It's also madness for the EU to pad out that bill. It might sound tough, and I'm sure you've wet your pants over it, but it's only going to be counter productive, as is any talk of us walking away without paying anything.
    TFS, UK will pay either way , and bill will be more than we pay now for sure. We have morons negotiating for us.
    Given that the most the EU are asking for is equivalent to 3 years gross contributions it is physically impossible for us to pay more than we do now unless we rejoin within 3 years.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited April 2017

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

It was a mad decision but it wasn't part of the Remain strategy. It was 100% a decision by Cameron. He just hadn't thought it through
    In one of the greatest ironies in UK politics, Cameron decided to hold the referendum in June 2016 and not say April 2017 because he didn't want this Parliament to be dominated by the referendum.
    Some talk of Cameron joining TM in campaigning in the south west. If true good move as he is popular there
    Are there many seats for the Conservatives to gain down there?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

That will, quite rightly, be HMG's opening negotiating position.

"We're leaving" is not a negotiation.

If this really is the standard of Brexit thinking we are even more fcked than it looked so far.
    Our negotiating team are far cleverer than you are showing yourself to be.

And I don't have a particularly high opinion of them.
    He is just finding his inner SNP, transforming from a Tory caterpillar into a beautiful SNP butterfly
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

There is a stunning lack of understanding exhibited by you here on how international treaties and agreements work. Trade agreements are never adjudicated by just the courts on one side and in the case of disputes it will go to international arbitration not the ECJ.

Obviously Brexit will not necessarily be all plain sailing but the sort of ill informed wishful thinking from the Remoaners really is laughable.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

Are there many seats for the Conservatives to gain down there?
    Exeter....
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    matt said:

What I take from this is that trust is a one way thing. It's wholly explicable that the Commission has no trust in HMG. If HMG doesn't trust the behaviours of the Commission then that's wholly HMGs fault.

I don't think it's just the Commission. It's the member States as well, or perhaps mainly, that don't trust our government. A lack of trust does tend to go both ways, but as the one leaving who wants to create a new relationship for "success", we're the ones who will be most impacted by that lack of trust and are most able to do something about it.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

+1
    +2

And IoS and particularly Socrates. Both very much missed.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Message to OGH

wonder what miscreant that was then
  • Options

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

There is a stunning lack of understanding exhibited by you here on how international treaties and agreements work. Trade agreements are never adjudicated by just the courts on one side and in the case of disputes it will go to international arbitration not the ECJ.

Obviously Brexit will not necessarily be all plain sailing but the sort of ill informed wishful thinking from the Remoaners really is laughable.
    I am recapping the EU guidelines for the A50 negotiations here. We will see whether they make them stick. I think they will because they look to have it pretty locked down and we won't walk away, as we don't have a better alternative.

• Options

stodge said:

What???

possibly in Rusholme
    That is why I do not eat curry there :)
This discussion has been closed.