Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The French Presidential polls edge back a touch to Macron who

Comments

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427
    Rhubarb said:

ToryJim said:
    Is that real? It's going to be very hard to keep track of what's an official piece of communication and what's an enthusiast with Photoshop.
    No idea.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Blessed felicitations of the forthcoming dusk, my fellow worshippers of the Sacred Turnip.

Mr. Rhubarb, welcome to pb.com. Are you from the Rhubarb Triangle?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looks like there will be a dehaddockation strategy in Farron's constituency

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/15235411.Tim_Farron_faces_challenge_for_constituency_from_a_man_dressed_as_a_fish_finger/

A MAN dressed as a fish finger has vowed to challenge Tim Farron for his Westmorland and Lonsdale seat in the general election.

A crowdfunder page set up to pay the £500 for Mr Fish Finger to enter as a candidate has already reached its target.

The page reads: "This seat has been held since 2005 by Tim Farron, who lost to a fish finger - by a margin of around 99% - in a poll of over 1,000 people, when asked "Who would you trust to lead you more?".

Mr Fish Finger says he will conduct any related business dressed as a fish finger.

More than £1300 has been raised, with Mr Fish Finger saying money over the £500 will be used to make himself look 'dashing' as he embarks on his new career.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

None. They could choose to not relocate their agencies if they wanted.

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    No, you lost. If you and your like had put one tenth of the effort into campaigning that you put into doing your primary school sneak act on the internet (Ooooh Miss! Miss! Gove and Johnson have been writing on the school bus! Oooh Miss, May told an untruth about election dates! Tell them the didn't orter!) David Cameron would be in Downing Street today.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Blessed felicitations of the forthcoming dusk, my fellow worshippers of the Sacred Turnip.

Mr. Rhubarb, welcome to pb.com. Are you from the Rhubarb Triangle?

Alas not - although I do enjoy a good crumble.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    FF43 said:

Has there been some new French poll? Emmanuel Macron is now as short as 1.78.

I was trying to work out the odds. If Macron fails the cut for the second round, I would think Fillon is nearly certain for the presidency - because Macron won't be there; and Fillon would win against Le Pen and Mélenchon in the increasingly unlikely event he makes the cut. In principle this would mean the chances of a Fillon presidency are almost correlated with the chances of Macron NOT making the initial cut.
    No. Fillon polls well vs Le Pen but he is less certain to win heads up than Macron.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

... and Morley & Outwood at 1/4

Bedford, 3-10.
    Not any more
    Hmm just backed Chester @ 3-10, wrongly remembering it as a Tory seat...
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    TGOHF said:

Will it be a Euro-Haddock or an Enormo-Haddock?

These things matter.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Surprised you are giving parenting advice given the last time you were were raising children George III was going mad...

Little surprise "George III" went mad after usurping the throne of James III/VIII, Charles III and Henry IX .... :smile:

Still bitter? ;)
    Pint please ....

Old Speckled Hen ....

But enough of Mrs JackW .... :smiley:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited April 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    No, you lost. If you and your like had put one tenth of the effort into campaigning that you put into doing your primary school sneak act on the internet (Ooooh Miss! Miss! Gove and Johnson have been writing on the school bus! Oooh Miss, May told an untruth about election dates! Tell them the didn't orter!) David Cameron would be in Downing Street today.
    I don't think it was effort but strategy. Few of us could have anticipated how the fear of an invasion of foreigners would swing the result.

I wrote a piece almost every week on the advertising and the effect of the PPB about (possible) Turkish accession was a surprise but it was real and resonated like nothing else.

Even knowing what we know now I don't believe at that particular time (with the European migrant crisis slap bang in the middle of the campaign) Remain could have altered the result
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

These things matter.
    Dunno - it was on the radio earlier but I'm a little hard of herring.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Bedford, 3-10.
    Not any more
    You mean you've forgotten Gyles Brandreth? Lucky man.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Bedford, 3-10.
    Not any more
    Arf well it is into 1-7 anyway, 11-2 the other side.

It's a 2 horse race so I'm on the Tories at decent odds now.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Roger said:

Even knowing what we know now I don't believe at that particular time (with the European migrant crisis slap bang in the middle of the campaign) Remain could have altered the result

Indeed.

Just another attempt by the "winners" to "blame" the result on those who voted against it.

Curious they are not happier with their achievement...
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2017
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

These things matter.
    This is sure to turbot-charge the election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    I don't think it was effort but strategy. Few of us could have anticipated how the fear of an invasion of foreigners would swing the result.
    For an ad man, you don't know much about people!

Having the Referendum timed to be within a fortnight of the immigration numbers coming out was just plain dumb-as-a-brick stupid by Remain.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Bedford, 3-10.
    Not any more
    You mean you've forgotten Gyles Brandreth? Lucky man.
    I'm on at significantly better than 3-10 now :>
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Am I wrong to be tempted by 6.5 on LibDems in Manchester Withington?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:

Surely the response to a request for us to fund them relocating their agencies is "we're not asking them to leave".

Which part of "leaving the EU" are you confused by?

And we could remain party to the EMA too. It's all part of the negotiation.

At least, it should be.

Exactly. This is another example of one side laying out a starting position for the negotiation.
    Only if you consider 'we're leaving' to be a negotiating position rather than a statement of fact. I might like that to be the case but I'm surprised you seem to.
    "We're leaving" doesn't imply "and we're kicking your staff out of the country".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

These things matter.
    This is sure to Turbot-charge the election.
    Talk of a Labour challenge is a red herring.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!
    It's madness for anyone to think that there won't be a final bill for us to exit the EU. It's also madness for the EU to pad out that bill. It might sound tough, and I'm sure you've wet your pants over it, but it's only going to be counter productive, as is any talk of us walking away without paying anything.
    TFS, UK will pay either way , and bill will be more than we pay now for sure. We have morons negotiating for us.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Scott_P said:

Surely the response to a request for us to fund them relocating their agencies is "we're not asking them to leave".

At least, it should be.

Exactly. This is another example of one side laying out a starting position for the negotiation.
    Only if you consider 'we're leaving' to be a negotiating position rather than a statement of fact. I might like that to be the case but I'm surprised you seem to.
    "We're leaving" doesn't imply "and we're kicking your staff out of the country".
    Neither does it imply "and we're keeping the bits we like".
  • Options
    Probably still wondering who he is.
  • Options
    Just subscribed to the times and sunday times on line at one off £8 for 8 weeks free online access and £24 monthly thereafter with 15 day notice of cancellation.

Seems a good deal giving access to the week beyond the GE for only £8
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Jump at it. It's a gift. If John Leech stands I'd expect him to be favourite
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

These things matter.
    This is sure to Turbot-charge the election.
    There is something fishy about these replies. This plaice is starting to flounder.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

These things matter.
    It's outrageous, elections are important, there's no plaice for stunts like these.
  • Options
    The enormo-haddock are not involved in the attempt to defenestrate Farron.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:

At least, it should be.

Sure, but we are not asking to keep the bits we like, we're saying that it's their decision if they want to move these agencies. Since it's entirely their decision, and we're happy with the agencies staying here, why on earth should we be expected to pay the removals costs?
  • Options

Take it. But its a seat with very bad blood, if John Leech stands for the Lib Dems.

As an aside I'm looking at buying a house in Withington.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Is there a Kipper standing too?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    As for matters French, it looks now like a Macron-Le Pen run off unless HYUFD's hopes for a surge in older voters backing Fillon translates into anything approaching reality.

The French centre-right must look enviously at their British cousins but in truth the French only have themselves to blame. The Presidency was theirs for the taking but they've handed it to Macron.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Surprised you are giving parenting advice given the last time you were were raising children George III was going mad...

Little surprise "George III" went mad after usurping the throne of James III/VIII, Charles III and Henry IX .... :smile:

Still bitter? ;)
    Pint please ....

Old Speckled Hen ....

But enough of Mrs JackW .... :smiley:
    :smiley:
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

definestrate?
  • Options

And why not?
  • Options

Sure, but we are not asking to keep the bits we like

ROFLMAO

"Please, please, please keep the headquarters of the club we just left here, please..."
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

well you would say that wouldn't you :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

that doesn't remotely answer the point.

Brexit means Brexit is the only answer we have been given so far.

There are a bunch of things that are going to change, some of which you won't like, as a result of Brexit.

If you voted for it, you won. Suck it up!
    No, that still doesn't come close to answering the point. If they choose to move their offices, they can pay. That will, quite rightly, be HMG's opening negotiating position.
  • Options

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

Having the Referendum timed to be within a fortnight of the immigration numbers coming out was just plain dumb-as-a-brick stupid by Remain.
    It was a mad decision but it wasn't part of the Remain strategy. It was 100% a decision by Cameron. He just hadn't thought it through
  • Options

That will, quite rightly, be HMG's opening negotiating position.

"We're leaving" is not a negotiation.

If this really is the standard of Brexit thinking we are even more fcked than it looked so far.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

At least, it should be.

No, that will be subject to negotiation, obviously.

But if they choose to move their offices, they pay. Simple.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

"Please, please, please keep the headquarters of the club we just left here, please..."
    We don't have to ask to keep it, that is indeed silly, but we don't need to help facilitate the move, that's their choice.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

It was a mad decision but it wasn't part of the Remain strategy. It was 100% a decision by Cameron. He just hadn't thought it through
    Holding the referendum when most students were away for the summer wasn't smart either.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

The issue isn't whether the agencies stay here, it's whether we have to pay costs if the EU27 (not the UK) decide to move them. What on earth have any such costs to do with us? We won't be members of the club. We won't even have a vote in their decision.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

No one thought it through; they thought that human progress and the march of reason, or the Bilderbergers, or someone or something rendered it impossible for Leave to win, so it didn't matter what they did (which was therefore, absolutely nothing).
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

If this really is the standard of Brexit thinking we are even more fcked than it looked so far.
    Our negotiating team are far cleverer than you are showing yourself to be.

And I don't have a particularly high opinion of them.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

The issue isn't whether the agencies stay here, it's whether we have to pay costs if the EU27 (not the UK) decide to move them. What on earth have any such costs to do with us? We won't be members of the club.
    Where are you getting your 6/1?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

In one of the greatest ironies in UK politics, Cameron decided to hold the referendum in June 2016 and not say April 2017 because he didn't want this Parliament to be dominated by the referendum.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed. For all the assumptions, this election is a choice.

May or Corbyn will be Prime Minister.

Like you, I have mixed feelings about May. But that choice does not provoke a prolonged period of contemplation.

Mr. Roger, 'he hadn't thought it through' sums up rather a lot about Cameron's approach to the EU referendum.

Mr. StClare, surely you cannot be questioning the Word of Morris?

Mr. Eagles (2), the enormo-haddock believe in EHV - Enormo-Haddock Voting. It'll replace the House of Commons once the Revolution comes. The House of Octo-Lemurs will be the Upper Chamber.

Mr. Anorak, that's rather good.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

The issue isn't whether the agencies stay here, it's whether we have to pay costs if the EU27 (not the UK) decide to move them. What on earth have any such costs to do with us? We won't be members of the club.
    11-2 with Paddy and Betfair Sportsbook.

It is an early christmas there right now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    UNITE election v tight - Order Order
  • Options
    Roger said:

Betfair Sports or Paddy Power (11/2)
  • Options
    Even Money for Bermondsey and Old Southwark Lib Dems.
  • Options

Like you, I have mixed feelings about May. But that choice does not provoke a prolonged period of contemplation.

Mr. Roger, 'he hadn't thought it through' sums up rather a lot about Cameron's approach to the EU referendum.

Mr. Eagles (2), the enormo-haddock believe in EHV - Enormo-Haddock Voting. It'll replace the House of Commons once the Revolution comes. The House of Octo-Lemurs will be the Upper Chamber.

I'm voting tactically at this election.

I'm voting for Labour's Lucy Powell in Manchester Central.
  • Options
    Ed Balls NOT seeking Morley.

Come on Ed. Find a better seat and get on with it.
  • Options
    "Welcome Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell, this is a constitutional requirement and does not imply in any sense that we intend to do any work on trying to translate the batshit ramblings in your manifesto into something that might not be a complete disaster from a governmental perspective."
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    malcolmg said:

Given your background Jack, can you advise on good books on the Cause and the Risings

At the exchange rate of one Ayrshire Turnip (AT) to the £, I recommend the following :

The Jacobite Cause - Bruce Lenham - AT3
    The 45 - Stuart Reid - AT10
    1715 - Daniel Szechi - AT20
    Inglorious Rebellion 1708, 1715 and 1719 - Sinclair-Stevenson - AT5

The 1715 is more difficult to find but the others are usually available from ebay at the above prices. Some sellers may not accept root vegetables as payment - shocking I know !!

• Options
    Actually a lot of thought went into the date of the referendum.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If a point can be missed you miss it, don't you? Nobody said we were negotiating about the fact of our leaving: that was established in the referendum in which you couldn't be arsed to campaign last year (did you even bother to vote? Are you sure?) We are talking about the terms on which we leave. Which are negotiable.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Even Money for Bermondsey and Old Southwark Lib Dems.

Should be about 1-10 if you believe the Lib Dem lines. I don't think it is that certain to go but it is surely odds on as a regain.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017
    Anorak said:
    If Corbyn wins, I am going to be the first one on the bloody thing. Heading for where ever.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi/Mr. Pulpstar, cheers for the tip.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

In one of the greatest ironies in UK politics, Cameron decided to hold the referendum in June 2016 and not say April 2017 because he didn't want this Parliament to be dominated by the referendum.
    He would have been wiser holding it in 2019
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

The referendum act said it had to be held before the end of 2017
  • Options

Anorak said:
    If Corbyn wins, I am going to be the first one on the bloody thing. Heading for where ever.
    You'll have to be quick people's democratic socialists tend to restrict your choice about leaving
  • Options

What's the logic of that?
  • Options

And why not?
    It must be a Euro-Haddock in that case. Due to overfishing they are considerably smaller than Enormo-Haddocks
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

The Remain/Leave ratio would likely have been better in 2019 due to demographics
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Somewhat o/t but looking forward to seeing the Tories' 'Vote Labour get Corbyn' ads go up the length and breadth of the country. I wonder whether they will be allowed to declare them as Labour party expenses or not..

They could spend 50k on the campaign and get Michael Crick to drive Jezza straight to prison afterwards for busting limits. It all makes sense.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited April 2017

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

DOn't forget there was the major migrant crisis the year before - I've always though there was a worry what would happen if there had been another one in 2016, and best to take the decision early, hence the rushed negotiation.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

The Remain/Leave ratio would likely have been better in 2019 due to demographics
    Isn't that the old "dying off Tories" fallacy?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Anorak said:
    You'll have to be quick people's democratic socialists tend to restrict your choice about leaving
    I shall utilise my Get-out-of-Britain-free card
  • Options
    Patrick said:

What's the logic of that?
    With 24% leads for the Tories, I'd hate for Lucy Powell to lose her seat.

She's special and needs to be in Parliament.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

We are talking about the terms on which we leave. Which are negotiable.

No, we are talking about the act of leaving, which apparently our Minister for Brexit hasn't grasped yet

The UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, minister David Davis will fight to keep the European Medicines Agency in London, despite the country leaving the EU.

The Financial Times has reported that the Brexit secretary doesn’t accept that the European drugs regulator and its 900 staff need to depart from London when the UK exits the European Union – despite Europe’s leaders indicating that this would be impossible.

The FT reports that Davis also believes that the UK can also retain another key EU institution, the European Banking Authority (EBA), also located in London. Having the agencies is a reflection of the country’s strength in banking and in pharmaceuticals, and they have strengthened the attractiveness of the UK sector.

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/uk-hasnt-given-keeping-european-medicines-agency/

This endless whining of the Brexiteers about the bad things that are happening as a result of Brexit is really tiresome, and now we have another 5 years to go instead of 2.

Awesome...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2017

He has a good seat in the directors' box every Saturday at Letsby Avenue (Norwich)
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Anorak said:
    I remember discussing this with a colleague vis a vis William Hague & co having discussions with civil servants in 2001. We imagined the conversation going something like: "Look, do you really want to do this, or can we all just go home early?"
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

He's waiting for next Friday, Ed Balls Day, to achieve maximum viral potential!
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: Labour MPs have until 6pm to announce if they're standing on June 8th. Am hearing one more big name may be about to quit.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    LOL!

So Theresa's personal ratings against Jezza are almost double those Thatcher had against Foot.

Thatch's majority in 1983 was 144 so if we double that with Theresa's personal rating we get a Con majority of around 280?

As Ave It would say... Com Gain... Everywhere! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Strangely-alluring special, or short-bus special?
  • Options
    I know someone who worked for Vote Leave, and he's convinced Remain would have won an April 2017 referendum due to Donald Trump becoming President.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

It really could make a difference. If people thought Labour might get a competent leader after this fiasco they might just think they are worth saving. A bit.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit is the only answer we have been given so far. [...]

Brexit means this. A pretty tough set of negotiating guidelines from the EU, but it looks like they have it locked down. I don't think the final outcome will deviate much from it.

• Options
    Anorak said:

She thought the EdStone was a brilliant idea special.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

LOL!

So Theresa's personal ratings against Jezza are almost double those Thatcher had against Foot.

Thatch's majority in 1983 was 144 so if we double that with Theresa's personal rating we get a Con majority of around 280?

As Ave It would say... Com Gain... Everywhere! :D
    I'm fairly sure 465 seats is a tad optimistic ;)
  • Options

Anorak said:

The EdStone was a special idea, certainly. Anyway, you're keeping her in for comedy value. Fair enough.
  • Options

"Just because they are carved on a tablet, doesn't mean they are written in stone..."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

ROFLMAO

11-2 with Paddy and Betfair Sportsbook.

It is an early christmas there right now.
    I'm in France and Paddy Power won't accept my bet. They've just saved themselves £1200!
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Noone seems to know precisely what is going on but one source suggests to me Coyne was ahead in early counting - not being confirmed
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

So Len's rival gets suspended ......

Purges are what the left does.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

"Just because they are carved on a tablet, doesn't mean they are written in stone..."
    Holy shit, she actually said that:
    https://leftfootforward.org/2015/05/heres-what-lucy-powell-really-said-about-labours-edstone/
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Brexit means Brexit...

You won. Suck it up!

One day we might be able to laugh at that. But it's too soon.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    Who first used the term "crême brûlée Brexit"? The earliest reference I've got is by
    "[DK]mutley696" on 19 Dec 2016
    . Since he describes himself as "just some guy, you know?!", I strongly doubt that he attended Trinity College, Cambridge, where the dish - also called Trinity cream or Trinity burnt cream - is sometimes (probably wrongly) held to have been invented.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

Our negotiating team are far cleverer than you are showing yourself to be.

And I don't have a particularly high opinion of them.
    Poor old Scott has gone slightly unhinged post referendum.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should suggest that their money would be more effective if invested in the constituency markets :InnocentFace
  • Options
    Floater said:

So Len's rival gets suspended ......

Purges are what the left does.
    If Len can be ousted from UNITE, then next Labour leadership election looking up for moderates.
This discussion has been closed.