Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The French Presidential polls edge back a touch to Macron who

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

‪I'm no fan of Mrs May but this is bollocks. Lots of PMs call early elections. ‬

https://twitter.com/undefined/status/854731569860403200

The only PMs who haven't called early elections since 1964 are Gordon Brown and David Cameron (excluding Callaghan, who didn't exactly call the election).
    John Major should be added to that list, shouldn't he? But on the whole your point stands, I think. Blair went early twice as did Thatcher and neither were under pressure to do so. Heath notoriously went early in 1974, as did Wilson in 1970 and Eden in 1955. So since the War governments with working majorities have mostly gone to the country after four years rather than running out their full term. Seeking a new mandate after just two years is unique but so are the circumstances we have at the moment.

A week or two back we had posters on here complaining that TM should seek election as PM because without winning an election she had no mandate to do anything. She is now seeking that mandate and now people are complaining about that.
    Personally, I like the FTPA. Why should any government have that advantage ? Other democratic governments don't.
    I like it, and I still think it useful - it may be hard for an opposition to refuse an offer to dissolve early, but they can, and then it becomes a more obviously partisan game to push for no confidence. Parliament united to say yes, which is better than mere PM whim, even if the PM urged it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Kate Hoey standing again in Vauxhall.

A target for the London Lib Dem Remain focused campaign to aim at.
    Vauxhall was 80.7% Remain according to Hanretty. The LibDems start at 6.9%, 43% behind Ms Hoey.

Mind you, if* they could pick up half the Remain vote, they'd be in with a chance.

I'll offer you 10-1 if you want.

* You can't see it, but that's a very big if.
    Can I have £50 on that?
    You want £50 at 10-1 on the LibDem's winning Vauxhall?

Sure, I'll take your money.
    You can put me down for £10 if you are opening a book?
    You are also a wild optimist. I'll take your £10 too.
    Can I have a tenner too if you're that confident?
    Yes, of course.
    Much obliged. I think you underestimate the anger against her in the constituency. Nigel Farage with a red rosette in London is not an attractive proposition.

https://twitter.com/katehoeymp/status/726782473330249728
    Hoey is an odious figure.
    Why was a Tory allowed in the Labour Party in the first place ? Imagine taking a selfie with Gingrich.
    She's one of your better MP's.
    Which sadly isn't saying much these days......a party where Chukka is seen as a saviour.....yea gods!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

JackW said:

Chameleon said:

O/T -I need some advice.

What's the right age to give a child his first mobile phone?

It won't be an iPhone/smartphone, just a basic phone with a sim only deal so he can call his Dad or his grandparents in emergencies.

Is 7 years old too soon?

For me, yes. I'd leave it until 10.
    I kinda agree, but my mother keeps on mentioning it, she's the sort, if she could, would have kept me wrapped up in cotton wool until I was 25.
    Imagine a horrible situation that might have been avoided or mitigated had the seven year old had a basic phone.

No brainer IMO.
    Imagine putting a 7yo in a horrible situation...

Indeed. But they occur despite all good intentions. A basic phone is a useful insurance.
    Best to make it a cheap one as they are forever breaking them
    You could call it 'the politician's promise'! :lol:
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Carswell not standing

He's a bit of an arsehole really isn't he?
    He has certainly done more to help his country than you have ever done or likely ever will do.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Cannot understand the praise being heaped on Douglas Carswell and Gisela Stuart today.

From where I'm standing, they've led the country down a dark path, and are running away before the consequences become known. If they really believe this is right for Britain they should stay and make it happen and take the credit / blame properly.

I'm sure they are both decent constituency MPs, and I've always admired Douglas Carswell's views on democracy (other than the EU) but this comes across as running scared from any accountability for what they've done.

You only don't understand because of your warped view of Brexit. Anyone who has any sense appreciates what they have done and is grateful for it.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,429
    https://twitter.com/geraldhowarth/status/855040272744538112

Hooray the next Parliament will be less bigoted.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017
    Fat Crap Elvis Impersonator...you are needed...
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    The symbolism of that poster is all wrong. If Corbyn has the qualities claimed, he should be the shining light, not turning away from the mysterious source of light in front of him and casting a shadow.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Fiona MacTaggart quits:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-fiona-mactaggart-labour-mp-stand-down-jeremy-corbyn-key-speech-slough-a7692551.html

I rather suspect she is jumping before the electorate pushes her. However, she leaves with rather a nasty side-swipe at Corbyn delivered to the media in the middle of his campaign launch.
  • Options
    Should say that my Tory voting, but considering going LD acquaintance was also uncertain because they'd read Tim Farron thinks homosexuality is sinful - seems like they still need to get ahead of that whole issue and clarify his position some more, or it might cost a few crucial votes.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Sad to see Douglas Carswell will not be standing again. Personally I think he has been one of the very best MPs in the last 20 years and has made a massive positive contribution to changing our country for the better by his campaigning over Brexit. A great loss to Parliament and the country.

On the other hand, maybe his talents are best suited to developing new ideas and writing books like 'The Plan', rather than being an MP in a parliamentary system based on party whips (I know you don't like this system, but it is how it is).
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Stoopid odds.

It takes around 3 months for a Labour leadership election, so his exit could be in time for the Labour conference, So Q3 is the best option
    Slightly poorly worded market. I read it as you did, as the date he no longer holds the office, but could "formally steps down" mean the date on which he tenders his resignation to the NEC? I'd be worried they'd not pay out on Q3.

Labour often has an interim leader, so he may go immediately after the election. But I agree it's less likely this time as the interim leader would presumably be Watson, and Corbyn won't want that as he seeks to secure a successor in his own image.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Most notably, member states have challenged Britain’s requirement that EU migrants complete an 85-page form to prove that they are permanently resident in the UK.

I can't believe that that is going to be an issue. Still, it's a nice one for us graciously to concede, if they are looking for a 'win'.
    It does seem rather over-engineered - I trust Rudd is working on something very much simpler
    Yes. 100 is much easier to remember than 85.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

JackW said:

Chameleon said:

O/T -I need some advice.

It won't be an iPhone/smartphone, just a basic phone with a sim only deal so he can call his Dad or his grandparents in emergencies.

Is 7 years old too soon?

I kinda agree, but my mother keeps on mentioning it, she's the sort, if she could, would have kept me wrapped up in cotton wool until I was 25.
    Imagine a horrible situation that might have been avoided or mitigated had the seven year old had a basic phone.

No brainer IMO.

Indeed. But they occur despite all good intentions. A basic phone is a useful insurance.
    Quite. The retro Nokia is about £40.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    It's McTernan, advisor to Australian and Scottish Labour.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

tpfkar said:

Cannot understand the praise being heaped on Douglas Carswell and Gisela Stuart today.

From where I'm standing, they've led the country down a dark path, and are running away before the consequences become known. If they really believe this is right for Britain they should stay and make it happen and take the credit / blame properly.

I'm sure they are both decent constituency MPs, and I've always admired Douglas Carswell's views on democracy (other than the EU) but this comes across as running scared from any accountability for what they've done.

You only don't understand because of your warped view of Brexit. Anyone who has any sense appreciates what they have done and is grateful for it.
    Goodness me. I know I have been on this site much less recently but I always thought you were one of the most thoughtful and persuasive Leavers ahead of the referendum. Not someone who would resort to "warped view" and "anyone who has any sense" lightly.

I've been clear that my real concern for months has been how to unite the country after the divisiveness of the referendum, and these comments just show how far there is to go. The election may or may not be part of the healing process, too early to say but it may be a necessary step.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Will Hannan take on Carswell's seat?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278

Corbyn "too rubbish to be scary". Wasn't that the mistake the PLP made in the first place?

Indeed. Well made point.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    It's an interesting issue. They mocked Ed M, then tried to make him seem scary, but that didn't work on its own as he was supposed to be a joke, according to Tory statements up to then. The SNP hand pulling his strings made him seem a it scarier. Corbyn? Well...

So if the scare tactics can't work, bring on the carrot. Try giving people a reason to vote FOR something for a change ... OK, that's fantasy land too, I admit.
  • Options
    Any views on Ynys Môn?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Vauxhall was 80.7% Remain according to Hanretty. The LibDems start at 6.9%, 43% behind Ms Hoey.

Mind you, if* they could pick up half the Remain vote, they'd be in with a chance.

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.
    Much obliged. I think you underestimate the anger against her in the constituency. Nigel Farage with a red rosette in London is not an attractive proposition.

Why was a Tory allowed in the Labour Party in the first place ? Imagine taking a selfie with Gingrich.
    She is not one of my MPs. She is, at best, a DUP MP. She is really a Tory. I am not sure she would have got the nomination if it was not imposed.
    That's the mentality of Momentum. She votes with Labour on almost everything, but she's still a "Tory".
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    I tend to agree with @tpfkar on Carswell. Stuart is 61 so perhaps she feels that now is the time to go having been and MP since 1997, but Carswell is 45 and has only been an MP since 2005. My guess is he's backed himself into a position that he knows he won't win his seat and doesn't want the humiliation of losing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Any views on Ynys Môn?

Given its location, it's likely the views are spectacular from there.

• Options
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    It's an interesting issue. They mocked Ed M, then tried to make him seem scary, but that didn't work on its own as he was supposed to be a joke, according to Tory statements up to then. The SNP hand pulling his strings made him seem a it scarier. Corbyn? Well...

So if the scare tactics can't work, bring on the carrot. Try giving people a reason to vote FOR something for a change ... OK, that's fantasy land too, I admit.
    In their defence they are doing that too - vote for the strong and stable party, or whatever the slogan is. But obviously scare tactics are used for a reason, usually it works.
  • Options

O/T -I need some advice.

Is 7 years old too soon?

A cheap Nokia and see how he gets along with it? Plus if he loses it, it is no big deal.
  • Options
    The European Commission wants Britain to pick up the tab for any costs related to its departure from the EU, such as the relocation of agencies now hosted by the U.K., and bear the currency risk by paying in euros, according to a draft of Brussels’ negotiating plan....

...But it is the Commission’s approach to the U.K.’s ongoing financial obligations to the EU that stands out in the document, suggesting that Brussels wants to make it very clear that leaving the bloc doesn’t come cheap.

“The United Kingdom should fully cover the specific costs related to the withdrawal process such as the relocation of the agencies or other Union bodies,” the Commission wrote, adding that the U.K.’s financial obligations to the EU “should be defined in euro” rather than sterling.

http://www.politico.eu/article/european-commission-wants-uk-to-pay-brexit-costs-in-euros/

Of course, there could be no downside to announcing this in the middle of an election campaign.......the danger is that leaving the EU, initially at least, could be very cheap....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

Surprised you are giving parenting advice given the last time you were were raising children George III was going mad...

Little surprise "George III" went made after usurping the throne of James III/VIII, Charles III and Henry IX .... :smile:

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

O/T -I need some advice.

Is 7 years old too soon?

A cheap Nokia and see how he gets along with it? Plus if he loses it, it is no big deal.
    Good idea in principle. Unfortunately what would happen is all his mates with smartphones would take the piss and you'd end up having to get him one too. From a kid's point of view no phone is better than a basic cheap phone.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sad to see Douglas Carswell will not be standing again. Personally I think he has been one of the very best MPs in the last 20 years and has made a massive positive contribution to changing our country for the better by his campaigning over Brexit. A great loss to Parliament and the country.

I quite agree, Mr. Tyndall. An honest and principled politician who will be missed.

Might I recommend that people read Tim Shipman's book "All out war" which gives an account into the deep background of the Referendum campaign in which a clear insight is given into the mindset of Carswell and his defection to UKIP (along with that of Reckless). An eye-opener of a book.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Who CARES about the French election? We have our own in seven weeks :)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

That's the mentality of Momentum. She votes with Labour on almost everything, but she's still a "Tory".

Whilst I agree with your point, I couldn't help smiling at the thought of your views on Ms Soubry!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,957

Me and Meeks do. We both have more money on the French than the UK right now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    Jonathan said:

No its going to be the Vicar in Bread apparently.
  • Options
    FWIW

My son had a crap Nokia for certain occasions until he turned 13 and now has a crap Android phone.

The crappyness of the device is a key feature for me. The less time he uses it, the better.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

She is not one of my MPs. She is, at best, a DUP MP. She is really a Tory. I am not sure she would have got the nomination if it was not imposed.
    Her past rebellion rate is actually similar to Corbyns. Her views on a range of topics differ from the party she is meant to represent.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Brilliant news. Teaches the c**t not to trust the Tories. Now he is maroooooooooooned.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Those of us who've bet on it?
  • Options

Fat Crap Elvis Impersonator...you are needed...

Don't forget the Jez-Stone!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Me and Meeks do. We both have more money on the French than the UK right now.
    Likewise. It has been an excellent betting event so far.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Surprised you are giving parenting advice given the last time you were were raising children George III was going mad...

Little surprise "George III" went made after usurping the throne of James III/VIII, Charles III and Henry IX .... :smile:

Still bitter? ;)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Still chasing the 0%...

@ChrisMasonBBC: A spokesman for the Labour Leader, Jeremy Corbyn has said 'a second (EU) referendum is not our policy and it won't be in our manifesto'
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

Kate Hoey is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10282/kate_hoey/vauxhall
  • Options

The European Commission wants Britain to pick up the tab for any costs related to its departure from the EU, such as the relocation of agencies now hosted by the U.K., and bear the currency risk by paying in euros, according to a draft of Brussels’ negotiating plan....

...But it is the Commission’s approach to the U.K.’s ongoing financial obligations to the EU that stands out in the document, suggesting that Brussels wants to make it very clear that leaving the bloc doesn’t come cheap.

“The United Kingdom should fully cover the specific costs related to the withdrawal process such as the relocation of the agencies or other Union bodies,” the Commission wrote, adding that the U.K.’s financial obligations to the EU “should be defined in euro” rather than sterling.

http://www.politico.eu/article/european-commission-wants-uk-to-pay-brexit-costs-in-euros/

Of course, there could be no downside to announcing this in the middle of an election campaign.......the danger is that leaving the EU, initially at least, could be very cheap....

Who are they saying this stuff for? Everyone agrees we should full cover our costs, surely, we just argue over what costs are our responsibility, and public sentiment on either side means little so why air in public to put pressure on?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

No its going to be the Vicar in Bread apparently.
    The MEP chicken run is definitely something to watch. Wonder what the Commons/shit-sitcom ratio will ultimately be.

A Mrs Brown's boys type spinoff featuring Hannan and Farage would be great on channel 5.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

I don't think she votes with Labour on everything. Anyway why are you confusing me with Momentum ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Brilliant news. Teaches the c**t not to trust the Tories. Now he is maroooooooooooned.
    Stay classy Surbiton only seven weeks to go.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I tend to agree with @tpfkar on Carswell. Stuart is 61 so perhaps she feels that now is the time to go having been and MP since 1997, but Carswell is 45 and has only been an MP since 2005. My guess is he's backed himself into a position that he knows he won't win his seat and doesn't want the humiliation of losing.

Personally, I doubt it's that. I suspect he'd win but, if he didn't, it will be a footnote on election night anyway.

Seems to me more likely that he's more worried about the prospect of winning than losing. It's easier to get a new job and start a new chapter at 45 than 50 or 55. It's not like there's much of a career for him in politics now that he's burned not one bridge but two, and to be fair to him, he's not the sort of bloke to do it just for the pay packet.

• Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

Which sadly isn't saying much these days......a party where Chukka is seen as a saviour.....yea gods!
    Who is this Chukka of whom you speak?

Do you mean Chuka?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    Artist said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

Her past rebellion rate is actually similar to Corbyns. Her views on a range of topics differ from the party she is meant to represent.
    I doubt her high-profile advocacy of fox hunting was inspired by her constituency mailbag either.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

Kate Hoey is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10282/kate_hoey/vauxhall
    Like Corbyn did you mean ?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

Not to trust them? He quit the party, and if reports are right they did not ease his way back in. If we accept his reasons for leaving as valid, then both sides would seem to be behaving very reasonably - if they did things that caused him reasonably to flounce off, fine, but having done so, why should they let him back in, without cost? If we ever ask to go back into the EU, expect us to be held over a barrel, and fair enough.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

Stay classy Surbiton only seven weeks to go.
    Where is Justin Kill'em All today? All that booze wearing off?
  • Options
    Artist said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

At what point does one leave the big tent?
  • Options

Personally, I doubt it's that. I suspect he'd win but, if he didn't, it will be a footnote on election night anyway.

Seems to me more likely that he's more worried about the prospect of winning than losing. It's easier to get a new job and start a new chapter at 45 than 50 or 55. It's not like there's much of a career for him in politics now that he's burned not one bridge but two, and to be fair to him, he's not the sort of bloke to do it just for the pay packet.

The story is that he couldn't win as an independent, and the Tories wouldn't have him back.

So he's running away
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Who are they saying this stuff for? Everyone agrees we should full cover our costs, surely, we just argue over what costs are our responsibility, and public sentiment on either side means little so why air in public to put pressure on?
    I think the UK may take the view that if the EU chooses to move agencies currently in the UK, that's their choice and their bill. They're running the risk of a very acrimonious break up - least of all doing it in the middle of a General Election.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    kle4 said:

Should say that my Tory voting, but considering going LD acquaintance was also uncertain because they'd read Tim Farron thinks homosexuality is sinful - seems like they still need to get ahead of that whole issue and clarify his position some more, or it might cost a few crucial votes.

Straight out the Tory Scumbag`s Handbook of Dirty Tricks, Mr Kle, following on from the baying pack of Tory MPs in the House of Commons yesterday. Keep repeating it often enough, and people will come to believe it.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Dave Anderson (Blaydon) to retire. Born in 1953, first elected in 2005.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2017-04-20/blaydon-mp-to-stand-down-in-wake-of-snap-election/
  • Options

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2017-04-20/blaydon-mp-to-stand-down-in-wake-of-snap-election/

Is he not the (ex) Shadow Scottish secretary? How will Jezza fill that post in the next Parliament now?
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

Artist said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

I doubt her high-profile advocacy of fox hunting was inspired by her constituency mailbag either.
    Chortle.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,320
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Straight out the Tory Scumbag`s Handbook of Dirty Tricks, Mr Kle, following on from the baying pack of Tory MPs in the House of Commons yesterday. Keep repeating it often enough, and people will come to believe it.
    And Tim's reply to the Tory hordes (and how hypocritical it was) was crystal clear. Even the guy who made the intervention looked humbled at the absolutely clear answer he got to his question.
  • Options
    Guardian:

"Jeremy Corbyn has had a very good morning.,.he sounded like an effective campaigner. He delivered a speech that was focused, coherent and passionate"

Panic, panic. Stop Tory complacency urgently.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2017
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

The left have whole encyclopaedias of dirty tricks to stitch-up selections and elections and to ensure it's Buggin's turn.

The TSH is but a pamphlet in comparison.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Like referring to any Tory action as a dirty trick?

I have absolutely no patience for party supporters complaining when they are the subject of political tactics, unless they cross over into unlawful - if people want to argue the Tories are the worst at using such tactics, that is fine, but if they argue the tactics themselves are Tory, as though others do not use the same tactics, I have no patience whatsoever.

Political behaviour, not partisan specific, I am afraid.

On Farron, seems to be he did not help himself by apparently being unclear, when given his later response seems like he could easily have avoided this - never expect your opponents to give you a fair ride, and avoid the easily avoidable!

In case you are wondering, I informed my acquaintance of Farron's later comments on the matter.
  • Options

Guardian:

"Jeremy Corbyn has had a very good morning.,.he sounded like an effective campaigner. He delivered a speech that was focused, coherent and passionate"

Panic, panic. Stop Tory complacency urgently.

Yeah, he's had a great morning...

https://twitter.com/polhomeeditor/status/855052243304927232
  • Options

So that's a vacancy for shadow SOS for Scotland.
  • Options
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

Do you mean Chuka?
    I Feel For You
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Gerald Howarth (Aldershot) to retire. Born in 1947, MP since 1983, lost in 1992 and came back in 1997
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

I think the UK may take the view that if the EU chooses to move agencies currently in the UK, that's their choice and their bill. They're running the risk of a very acrimonious break up - least of all doing it in the middle of a General Election.
    It has become apparent in recent weeks that the EU wants an acrimonious break up, for whatever reason. May is going pretty hard, and the EU is prioritising punishment above all else.

Since were repeatedly told they know us but we don't know them, they will know taking hard lines will make us stick even harder to our lines, so it isn't about negotiating position which will soften either.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Indeed and testament to the fact the Conservatives can't quite believe they can win this on their own without having to stick the knife into their opponents.

Curious for a Party with a 20+point polling lead not to be accentuating a more positive message.

The message simply seems to be "Trust Theresa - she's better than Corbyn". Many will agree with the second part, I, for one, struggle with the first.

• Options
    bobajobPB said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

Do you mean Chuka?
    Still not apologised for calling the Sutton Trust CCHQ?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,429
    https://twitter.com/conhome/status/855053817800536064

PM really means to attempt the electoral destruction of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

tpfkar said:

Goodness me. I know I have been on this site much less recently but I always thought you were one of the most thoughtful and persuasive Leavers ahead of the referendum. Not someone who would resort to "warped view" and "anyone who has any sense" lightly.

I've been clear that my real concern for months has been how to unite the country after the divisiveness of the referendum, and these comments just show how far there is to go. The election may or may not be part of the healing process, too early to say but it may be a necessary step.
    You are the one who came along with the moronic claims about 'leading the country down a dark path'. To my mind that is a thoroughly warped view of both Brexit and those who fought for it. If you want to start the healing process I would suggest you start with your own rather offensive views.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And Tim's reply to the Tory hordes (and how hypocritical it was) was crystal clear. Even the guy who made the intervention looked humbled at the absolutely clear answer he got to his question.

His position is far from crystal clear. Unfortunately he was asked the wrong question, allowing him the easy get-out of saying that he didn't think 'being gay' was sinful. Well, of course not. That isn't the issue. The issue is whether he thinks gay sex is sinful, as many of his fellow evangelical Christians do.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ah the reasoned logic of the lunatic. On a par with the rest of your dribblings these past few months.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Fear will keep the local constituencies in line. We will then crush the Rebellion Labour Party with one swift stroke!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    How long before she starts accusing the journalists of #FakeNews ? ;)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ToryJim said:

https://twitter.com/emmanuelmacron/status/855033309495046144

Macron clearly isn't fretting in advance of polling day.

I would vote for a president that can successfully somersault flip a mineral water bottle
    Yes, it's a remarkable talent!
  • Options

On the other hand, maybe his talents are best suited to developing new ideas and writing books like 'The Plan', rather than being an MP in a parliamentary system based on party whips (I know you don't like this system, but it is how it is).
    I would agree but changing the system needs champions inside Parliament not outside. Writing books does not get you anywhere if no one on the indside wants to change the system.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    ToryJim said:

Well, I doubt the Conservatives will overturn Stephen Timms' majority of 35,000 or so.

More seriously, the Conservatives were down to 165 seats in 1997 and it took them eighteen years to effectively double it.

Labour have not been sub-200 since 1945. Even if they fall to 165 or lower, that doesn't mean electoral destruction by any stretch. It will mean the Conservatives having to defend a lot of seats in 2022.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    so... the net result of this snap election is the thinning of deadwood in all parties (except the LD's who are too small to worry about deadwood.)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/kateemccann/status/855055346842443780

Corbyn Jnr, MP! What a brilliant solution to the vexed question of the leadership succession.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

bobajobPB said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I have £50 on that?

Yes, of course.

I don't think she votes with Labour on everything. Anyway why are you confusing me with Momentum ?
    You share the same desire for ideological purity and paraonia about "Tories" within Labour ranks.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    at a time like this you have a thread header about the FRENCH elections?????!!!!!!

Oh well, I suppose there's more money to be made betting on that than whether the Tories will win the GE here.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762

IanB2 said:

His position is far from crystal clear. Unfortunately he was asked the wrong question, allowing him the easy get-out of saying that he didn't think 'being gay' was sinful. Well, of course not. That isn't the issue. The issue is whether he thinks gay sex is sinful, as many of his fellow evangelical Christians do.
    A liberal is allowed to think gay sex is sinful. The question is whether he imposes his view on other people.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

JackW said:

Chameleon said:

O/T -I need some advice.

Is 7 years old too soon?

No brainer IMO.

You could call it 'the politician's promise'! :lol:
    :smiley:
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    kle4 said:

he has, in the HoC. Done, over. You should now reinforce by pointing him at the contrast between Farron's liberal voting record and Mrs May's illiberal one.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

A liberal is allowed to think gay sex is sinful. The question is whether he imposes his view on other people.

Oh, absolutely.

However, many Liberal Democrats and their voters are not liberal about such a view, equating it with homophobia.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

at a time like this you have a thread header about the FRENCH elections?????!!!!!!

Oh well, I suppose there's more money to be made betting on that than whether the Tories will win the GE here.

Indeed there has been!! Paying attention on this site has led me to a win in all circumstances on FR (except Asselineau).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056

I'm also sad, although I don't agree with him being "one of the very best MPs in the last 20 years".

I'm sad because he seemed a genuinely likeable bloke who could put his position politely and rationally, even if you disagreed with him. I'd also like to see more independents in parliament.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The bet I thought I had placed on Lib Dems 10-19 and 20-29 were not placed. I hadn't clicked the final accept and continue button!!!

But wait...

Now the odds are now 4/1 and 7/2 respectively. That's better odds than the 11/4 I was going to put them on at...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/kateemccann/status/855055346842443780

Corbyn Jnr, MP! What a brilliant solution to the vexed question of the leadership succession.
    I've already asked Shadsy to price it up
  • Options
    ((Dan Hodges)))‏Verified account @DPJHodges 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Real issue for many Labour MPs is whether Karie Murphy will be handed a seat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,957
    MrsB said:

Round 1 of the French elections is Sunday, and the ALDE candidate looks in good shape !
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Don't Christians believe everyone is a sinner or is that just Catholics?
This discussion has been closed.