Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The signs are that UKIP will get a pasting in the May 4th elec

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/849234650421764096

It's a gradual process. Cadbury themselves have admitted they omitted the word 'Easter' from the name of the event to appeal more to non-religious folk.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    We have to wonder what the Cadburys PR person who is quoting in the Telegraph was thinking. They were clearly under some false impression of what the companies promotion was about.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Global Britain meeting the offensive.
    Desperation setting in quickly
    Nicola Sturgeon snubbed by Donald Trump: SNP leader to have 'frosty reception' in US visit

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786885/Nicola-Sturgeon-Donald-Trump-USA-visit-tartan-week
    LOL, she chased him out of Scotland and told him he was a chancer, what do you expect from Mr Fragile Ego. May's tongue was about two feet long as she grovelled up on her belly. Keep your cringing greedy scrounging no marks. Much better to have principles and stick to them and tell him what you really think of him.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Patrick said:

Cyan said:

I think much of the mainstream commentariat and what could be termed metro smarties are completely tone deaf to the appeal of Tessy. It is so far off their radar that they are not even aware they are missing it.. Much as righties miss what Momemtum types get from Jezza.

Things like EasterEggGate while appearing a little silly, even risible to these people, is in my view an absolute bullseye with much of provincial and rural England. Those who feel their culture and identity has been gradually pushed to the periphery and the subject of relentless mockery (radio 4 comedies anyone?) now have someone who is prepared unapolegetically to stand up and publically call such attitudes out. Cameron etc could never convincingly pull this off. May can. It may be cynical or it may be genuine. But in my opinion it is a phenominal dog whistle which is working.

I think that may well be right, though personally I think Christianity is still pretty omnipresent in Britain. That said, Brexiteers should beware that they are being given tokens - supporting Easter eggs, endorsing blue passports - which may or may not be representative of more substantive policy.
    The reporting is like a game to see who can say "Cadbury" most often.

I would imagine that most Christians in Britain don't even know what the Easter egg represents.
    The deliciousness of cocoa combined with the faith of pagans. Similar to most other "Christian" holidays.
    The thing for me is that culture does not equate to religion - but may heavily borrow from it. I am not a Christian but I am British and fully accept the Judeo / Christian nature of my cultural heritage. Christmas is for me all about trees/presents/over-eating/family/slobbing and zip to do with Jesus - but when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird. Christmas / Easter are part of my heritage whether or not I believe. I also fully accept that ALL Christian festivals are pagan ones at obvious points in the calendar that have been stolen by the God-botherers. I don't care. Hands off my Easter! (Which is all about bunnies/chocolate/eggs/daffodils and booze).
    100% agreed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Also FPT, as one of the formerly undecideds that @isam mentions sceptically, it was precisely because I foresaw that the type of Leave that would be obtained would be dominated by loonies and reactionaries pandering to 1950s nostalgics that I opted for Remain. My fears have been abundantly borne out.

If that's true, then that suggests that - at heart - you also don't have much time for the EU, and you would have been theoretically open to a mature form of Leave that fitted more comfortably with your progressive values.
    ...which would have been more likely if so many people hadn't spent nine months trying to overturn the referendum result...
    ???

It is not "Remainers" who are proposing to go to war with Spain or saying that the EU can stuff their bills and Hard Brexit is the only real Brexit.
    Weren't some suggesting we throw over Gib to secure a less bad deal for the UK?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Patrick said:

but when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird.

How often do you actually hear ANYONE say this or something similar?
    Twice last year. 'Season's greetings' in both cases. Just say Merry Christmas folks - it ain't hard. And happy diwali, happy eid, happy hanukah, happy noodle time or whatever.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Last year the shop I work at put up Christmas decorations and said "Merry Christmas" to virtually everyone we served. These next couple of weeks, we're doing an Easter egg hunt (of the paper kind, rather than the chocolate kind!) with some of the other shops in the area. No-one (including Muslim customers) has objected so far.

This "our Judeo-Christian culture is being destroyed!!111" stuff seems to me like certain rightwingers WANTING to get offended, conjuring it out of nothing so they have an excuse to start ranting. So much for the Left being the ones who constantly "get on the outrage bus".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cadbury’s website promoting the occasion features the word Easter 14 times and their press release announcing this year’s quest for chocolate features the E-word seven times. They even have a website promoting it with the word “Easter” in the address. As for the National Trust, their announcement of the hunt features the word Easter a further seven times.

Civil servants and former special advisers believe that May’s swift response is due to her longstanding antipathy to Helen Ghosh, the National Trust's director-general, with whom she clashed when Ghosh was permanent secretary at the Home Office and May was Home Secretary. (Ghosh left the Home Office in 2012 to take up her current role running the National Trust.)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/04/why-did-theresa-may-scramble-comment-national-trust-easter-egg-row
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Anorak said:

Personally I find Mr Duterte offensive.

Is this our new way forward in the Brexit world? Cosying up to narcissists and demagogues the world over?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Scott_P said:
    Cadburys have openly said they are looking to sell 'seasonal treats' to people who aren't religious or aren't christians and that's why they've changed the name. I couldn't really care less about it but it's putting your head in the sand to deny it has happened. As I said earlier, I reckon the strap line will be the same everywhere, with 'Easter' mentioned or not depending on demographic
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cadbury’s website promoting the occasion features the word Easter 14 times and their press release announcing this year’s quest for chocolate features the E-word seven times. They even have a website promoting it with the word “Easter” in the address. As for the National Trust, their announcement of the hunt features the word Easter a further seven times.

Civil servants and former special advisers believe that May’s swift response is due to her longstanding antipathy to Helen Ghosh, the National Trust's director-general, with whom she clashed when Ghosh was permanent secretary at the Home Office and May was Home Secretary. (Ghosh left the Home Office in 2012 to take up her current role running the National Trust.)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/04/why-did-theresa-may-scramble-comment-national-trust-easter-egg-row

First year you remove it from the name... next year you refer to it less in the related material.. you get the idea.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Nicola Sturgeon snubbed by Donald Trump: SNP leader to have 'frosty reception' in US visit

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786885/Nicola-Sturgeon-Donald-Trump-USA-visit-tartan-week
    Trump's already met with the leader of the Uk - the CIC doesn't meet with minor figures.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Cadburys have openly said they are looking to sell 'seasonal treats' to people who aren't religious or aren't christians and that's why they've changed the name. I couldn't really care less about it but it's putting your head in the sand to deny it has happened. As I said earlier, I reckon the strap line will be the same everywhere, with 'Easter' mentioned or not depending on demographic
    Other faiths will be more offended by creeping militant securalism
  • Options

Anorak said:

Is this our new way forward in the Brexit world? Cosying up to narcissists and demagogues the world over?
    Maybe but Duerte gets rid of the crimelords
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    Andy_JS said:

Where the 147 UKIP council seats are located:

Kent: 17
    Lincs: 16
    Norfolk: 15
    Cambs: 12
    Hants: 10
    West Sussex: 10
    Essex: 9
    Suffolk: 9
    East Sussex: 7
    Bucks: 6
    Cornwall: 6
    Devon: 4
    Worcs: 4
    Gloucs: 3
    Northants: 3
    Somerset: 3
    Surrey: 3
    Isle of Wight: 2
    Leics: 2
    N Yorks: 2
    Staffs: 2
    Dorset: 1
    Wiltshire: 1

AndyJS - national treasure?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,786
    Danny565 said:

Last year the shop I work at put up Christmas decorations and said "Merry Christmas" to virtually everyone we served. These next couple of weeks, we're doing an Easter egg hunt (of the paper kind, rather than the chocolate kind!) with some of the other shops in the area. No-one (including Muslim customers) has objected so far.

This "our Judeo-Christian culture is being destroyed!!111" stuff seems to me like certain rightwingers WANTING to get offended, conjuring it out of nothing so they have an excuse to start ranting. So much for the Left being the ones who constantly "get on the outrage bus".

The mostly Muslim customers of the business I was previously involved with were quite happy wishing us Merry Christmas and we would do the same to them at Eid. It is simple politeness.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    Scott_P said:

Civil servants and former special advisers believe that May’s swift response is due to her longstanding antipathy to Helen Ghosh, the National Trust's director-general, with whom she clashed when Ghosh was permanent secretary at the Home Office and May was Home Secretary.

Is May's whole prime-ministership going to be characterised by vindictively settling old scores and nurturing grudges?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Patrick said:

but when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird.

Not once in my life.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Why would they have Easter in the website name if they were trying to hide that it was Easter-related?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Danny565 said:

Patrick said:

I have never actually heard anyone ever in my life use this type of merry winterval thing in the UK. Not even amongst my most PC lefty liberal corbynista student friends.

In the US I did notice that Happy Holidays is actually quite common (although my understanding is that is less about reducing offense and more about the fact that there are several holidays occurring simultaneously over that time).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    They would indeed - if creeping militant secularism was applied to any religion other than the historical one of our own culture.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Well, we can't ignore Druncker, much as I'm sure we'd prefer to.....
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

In fairness there's a fair few who wouldn't mind being snubbed by him.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2017

Also FPT, as one of the formerly undecideds that @isam mentions sceptically, it was precisely because I foresaw that the type of Leave that would be obtained would be dominated by loonies and reactionaries pandering to 1950s nostalgics that I opted for Remain. My fears have been abundantly borne out.

If that's true, then that suggests that - at heart - you also don't have much time for the EU, and you would have been theoretically open to a mature form of Leave that fitted more comfortably with your progressive values.
    ...which would have been more likely if so many people hadn't spent nine months trying to overturn the referendum result...
    1. I spend the succeeding months and years trying to overturn the election result at GEs where Labour wins.

2. Ponder for a moment the fact that, in whatever context, the British PM was responding to talk of war with an EU member.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Danny565 said:

In the same way, I have never met anybody who thinks Thomas the Tank engine is racist and sexist, bizarrely the likes of Guardian often gets very offended on behalf of other people (in the same amount as the Daily Mail wails about the destruction of Christian society) and it appears in this case Cadbury's PR department were also concerned about offending others.

And in the real world, nobody in the street cares besides a tiny minority of real religious nutters / militant atheists, none of which we would bend over backwards for.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,999
    FF43 said:

Danny565 said:

The mostly Muslim customers of the business I was previously involved with were quite happy wishing us Merry Christmas and we would do the same to them at Eid. It is simple politeness.
    Jesus is the 2nd most important prophet in the Qu'ran :>
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

"Scrambled to comment" is that what "answering a reporter's question" is called these days?
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Commercial company finally fesses up to their desire to sell products.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird.

Like this guy...

https://twitter.com/revrichardcoles/status/849164882805129218
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

First year you remove it from the name... next year you refer to it less in the related material.. you get the idea.
    Year after that you renew your tinfoil hat.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Commercial company finally fesses up to their desire to sell products.
    Yeah! It's not controversial just a sign of the times
  • Options
    This is a historically and culturally Christian country, I have no issue respecting that, but it still feels some go out of their way to be offended Christianity no longer has advantages it once had, when quite frankly if that is as much trouble for the faith as it is portrayed I don't know how it has lasted 2000 years through some, shall we say, much more difficulty situations.
  • Options

"Scrambled to comment" is that what "answering a reporter's question" is called these days?

How many other questions has TMay declined to opine on?

@ZoraSuleman: I think Theresa May speaking out about the National Trust (Easter) Egg hunt - is actually the quickest she's reacted to any news story
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It's a gradual process. Cadbury themselves have admitted they omitted the word 'Easter' from the name of the event to appeal more to non-religious folk.
    One aspect not really considered yet is that if you have your events sponsored by private compaies (and the National Trust really isn't desperate for a few quid), you take therisk that the company will take decisions on commercial grounds, using normal market segmentation. It's what private companies do, and there's no law saying that Cadbury has to emphasise Christianity if it thinks (mistakenly or not) that it's not in their commercial interest.

If we want to National Trust only to promote British values, whatever we decide those are, then they should stop taking private sponsorship, which would mean doing a bit less. I've no strong views either way to be honest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

In fairness there's a fair few who wouldn't mind being snubbed by him.
    The article contradicts the headline. She hasn't been snubbed because she wasn't planning on meeting him, and she's never given any indication that she wants to meet him. The article states that only 1 former FM has met the POTUS on a visit so it's not like a tradition is being broken.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dearie me - when the country is debating a chocolate based holiday event then it's no wonder the government is 18% ahead in the polls.

TMay #winning here there and everywhere.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Trump's already met with the leader of the Uk - the CIC doesn't meet with minor figures.
    I didn't realise he'd met Mr Nuttal !
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

One aspect not really considered yet is that if you have your events sponsored by private compaies (and the National Trust really isn't desperate for a few quid), you take therisk that the company will take decisions on commercial grounds, using normal market segmentation. It's what private companies do, and there's no law saying that Cadbury has to emphasise Christianity if it thinks (mistakenly or not) that it's not in their commercial interest.

If we want to National Trust only to promote British values, whatever we decide those are, then they should stop taking private sponsorship, which would mean doing a bit less. I've no strong views either way to be honest.
    Yep, it is entirely up to Cadbury's what they do. I'm just merely pointing out that they admit to removing the word from the name. As for the National Trust, they have quietly put Easter back into the name on their website.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird.

Like this guy...

The Guardian's favourite Christian...
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Danny565 said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Why would they have Easter in the website name if they were trying to hide that it was Easter-related?
    Why would they drop 'easter' from the main motif if they weren't?

I'd say it was so they can call them 'seasonal treats' and refer to the egg hunt without mentioning Easter if need be, and mention it where it will go down well. Like political advertising, some places you put 'LABOUR' on the leaflets, some places you don't but put 'THE CANDIDATES NAME' while the neutral party slogan appears on all
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Her other American dream, the Glasgow Caledonian University campus in New York City, has also proved unsuccessful as it still has no students.

According to a well-placed source in the Big Apple, her visit is expected be a “bit of a damp squib” with no welcome reception from the Foreign Office and a snub by the prestigious St Andrew’s Society, whose guest of honour at the annual Tartan Day cocktail party will instead be Dame Helen Barbour of the famed clothing brand.

The source adds that “no serious financier will touch her with a barge pole” and says: “She is to receive a frosty reception and is actually off the invite list for most of this year’s Tartan Day celebrations.

Let's hope she doesn't spend as much on hotels as Eck....
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options

Danny565 said:

In the same way, I have never met anybody who thinks Thomas the Tank engine is racist and sexist, bizarrely the likes of Guardian often gets very offended on behalf of other people (in the same amount as the Daily Mail wails about the destruction of Christian society) and it appears in this case Cadbury's PR department were also concerned about offending others.

And in the real world, nobody in the street cares besides a tiny minority of real religious nutters / militant atheists, none of which we would bend over backwards for.

Yes this is true - where instances of 'PC gone mad' do actually exist, it is generally in the form of overeager council leaders, or guardian columnists etc rather than the group supposedly offended by it all. Snowflakes on both sides of the divide!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    TGOHF said:

Dearie me - when the country is debating a chocolate based holiday event then it's no wonder the government is 18% ahead in the polls.

TMay #winning here there and everywhere.

Well we could all be commenting on the fact Team Corbyn have made himself look like total twats 3 times before even it was time for lunch...but we do that everyday.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    They would indeed - if creeping militant secularism was applied to any religion other than the historical one of our own culture.
    If Cadbury tried to exploit Ramadan for commercial reasons without using the name you know what the reaction would be and it certainly would be rather more than a letter of complaint to the CEO
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

Like this guy...

The Guardian's favourite Christian...
    To channel David Moyes, anyone who uses the word Springterval needs a...
  • Options

Cyan said:

Mr. Cyan, that does look a bit... unexpected.

Indeed. There's also one today in Le Monde (by Cevipof, part of Sciences Po, "realised" by Ipsos-Sopra Steria) based on data from 14300 respondents, giving

Le Pen 25%
    Macron 25%
    Fillon 17.5%
    Mélenchon 15%
    Hamon 10%
    Dupont-Aignan 4%

I'm not sure that the full details have been published online except behind a paywall.
    Is Dupont-Aignan more likely to take votes from Fillon or Le Pen?

Between that, and the fact that Hamon can be squeezed further still slightly, it could well end up that Melenchon beats Fillon. A humiliation for both the main governing and opposition parties at the same time must be almost unheard of in the west?
    The Communists and Christian Democrats in Italy?
    Yes that's probably the only other modern example. Spain wasn't far off at one point in 2015, but the PP ended up doing well, while the insurgent parties both underperformed. 2010 in the UK was looking like it as well at the height of Cleggmania, there were some polls with the LDs above the Tories even.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Danny565 said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Because of the long term conspiracy against white middle class Christians who are the most persecuted minority of all.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Correct. In my little part of the Muslim world they certainly wish me a Happy Christmas and Easter. The shoppping malls certainly don't care which religion has a festival if it means they can get seasonal marketing and sales opportunities out of it.

It's the aggressive secularists that are the real issue, the idea that "Muslims get offended by Christmas" simply isn't true.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:
    Correct. In my little part of the Muslim world they certainly wish me a Happy Christmas and Easter. The shoppping malls certainly don't care which religion has a festival if it means they can get seasonal marketing and sales opportunities out of it.

It's the aggressive secularists that are the real issue, the idea that "Muslims get offended by Christmas" simply isn't true.
    Agreed
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

Maybe but Duerte gets rid of the crimelords
    Rubbish, murdering lots of drug users is not getting rid of crimelords, how stupid can you be.
This discussion has been closed.