Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The signs are that UKIP will get a pasting in the May 4th elec

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Esther McConnell @est_mcc

I'm sure John Cadbury (my g. g. g. g. grandfather) is not spinning in his grave. As a Quaker, he didn't celebrate Easter @JohnSentamu
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

But the degree to which we are not a part of the Single Market is almost inevitably going to have a direct impact on future investment decisions taken by many manufacturing and assembly based businesses.

I'm certain it will have an impact, I'm also certain people are over-egging it. Lots of things are going to impact the economy and business over the coming decades; ageing populations, ever greater automation, competition from rapidly developing countries, climate change and the switch to renewable energy, and lots more. I think in the long term membership of the single market might not even be a top 10 issue.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

I agree with the comments down thread. Brexit has not got off to a good start. The ludicrous Dad's Army stuff from Howard, The Sun etc. seems designed to wreck our relationship with mainland Europe irreparably. I can only assume these people have looked at Trump with envious eyes and decided that some kind of 51st-state arrangement is desirably - no other explanation makes any kind of sense. On Sunday, even the normally restrained SeanT descended into Bannonite, sub-Nietzschean drivel and openly proclaimed his craving for war. If an intellectual of that standing can become infected with this lust for jingoism and conflict what hope the low-graders? Truly worrying times.

"the normally restrained SeanT"
    Are there two of them?
    On Brexit he flits between soft and 'screw you' hard.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    RobD said:

@Scott_P - to be fair, a day later I think she did defend the judiciary.

Yes, but she failed to attack the Mail when she did so:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-theresa-may-backs-high-court-judges-and-defends-press-after-ruling-sparks-row-a3388526.html
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    RobD said:

I still do not understand that row. We changed the law specifically to allow papers to attack judges, then had a fit of the vapours when they did.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

The PM defended both - “I believe in and value the independence of our judiciary, I also value the freedom of the press,” - Personally I don't think it's the place of HMG to comment on such matters either way, but even the more reputable papers/media appears to make these demands more and more, ho hum.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    calum said:

TGOHF said:

Any psephologists prepared a gains/losses prediction for Scotland in May ?

Curtis still to predict !
    A smidgeon of prediction.

'Labour stands to lose all its councils, says poll expert

He said: “It looks like Labour is going to do very badly and may end up losing control of the councils it is currently in overall control of. It looks like the SNP will gain, the Conservatives will gain, but Labour will crash.”

..He said: “The SNP will do well, but it’s really just a question of how well. Could they take control of Glasgow? They may well end up being the largest party, but may not be able to take overall control.”'

http://tinyurl.com/mdlvgbt

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Is Mr. Jessup about? Some happy news on the UK engineering front. The UK taking a world first at advanced manufacturing techniques, no less. This is the sort of thing that will make the UK's future, not Mr Observer's worry about shifting a few jobs to the EU area to save a few bob.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/amrc-furnace-puts-uk-at-forefront-of-titanium-casting/

Presumably the titanium casting technology was being worked on before the referendum.
    No, the idea sprang fully fledged from the inventor's brow on 24 June 2016, like Zeus and Athene. The inventor wasn't even an engineer up to that point, he was a diversity coordinator with Haringey Council.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Ishmael_Z said:

Is Mr. Jessup about? Some happy news on the UK engineering front. The UK taking a world first at advanced manufacturing techniques, no less. This is the sort of thing that will make the UK's future, not Mr Observer's worry about shifting a few jobs to the EU area to save a few bob.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/amrc-furnace-puts-uk-at-forefront-of-titanium-casting/

Presumably the titanium casting technology was being worked on before the referendum.
    No, the idea sprang fully fledged from the inventor's brow on 24 June 2016, like Zeus and Athene. The inventor wasn't even an engineer up to that point, he was a diversity coordinator with Haringey Council.
    :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    Ah judging by omission not inclusion. The last resort of the pin head dancer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

The National Trust and Cadbury have dropped 'Easter' from the official title of their hunt.

They mention it elsewhere, but it probably is significant they don't have it in the title

'Cadbury, which sponsors the event, said that it wanted to appeal to non-Christians, saying: "We invite people from all faiths and none to enjoy our seasonal treats." '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/03/easter-egg-row-church-england-accuses-national-trust-airbrushing/

It is an utter disgrace:
    https://twitter.com/familymanc/status/849168807310630912
    You can think it a disgrace if you like, I say who can blame them? They want to sell chocolate, and other faiths might be put off.

In a Muslim ghetto area they can just advertise it as an egg hunt, drop mentions of 'easter', let the kids eat 'seasonal treats' and not have to change the main motif. Business is business

"Enjoy Easter fun"

The main logo no longer mentions Easter, Cadburys did this because they want to appeal to all religions and none. Now they can be flexible as to how much they mention it. Maybe in the Muslim ghettos of East London and Birmingham Easter will appear on their advertising, maybe it won't.
    Muslims are more offended by secular atheists than Christians
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:

TGOHF said:

He said: “It looks like Labour is going to do very badly and may end up losing control of the councils it is currently in overall control of. It looks like the SNP will gain, the Conservatives will gain, but Labour will crash.”

..He said: “The SNP will do well, but it’s really just a question of how well. Could they take control of Glasgow? They may well end up being the largest party, but may not be able to take overall control.”'

To keep control of Glasgow, SLAB would no doubt be happy to form a coalition with the SCON.

I think the "experts" are overlooking the Scottish Greens who seem well placed to reap a IndyRef2 dividend and could well help the SNP take control of a few more councils.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

To keep control of Glasgow, SLAB would no doubt be happy to form a coalition with the SCON.

I think the "experts" are overlooking the Scottish Greens who seem well placed to reap a IndyRef2 dividend and could well help the SNP take control of a few more councils.
    Not sure why people would vote for a party that broke their manifesto commitments, but there you go.. :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

calum said:

TGOHF said:

Looks like experts are competing to see who has the worst prediction for Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    calum said:

It's not clear that the Scottish Greens' growing reputation as the SNPs' little helpers is entirely helpful in the longer term...
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Walking away from the Brexit talks without a deal and creating an offshore, low tax, low wage, low regulation state in which public services are pared to the bone would not be something that anyone to the left of Cameron or Osborne would do. If you are saying May's threats on this are empty, then she is clearly not a very good negotiator.

What you are missing is that she might not have any choice. To pare it down to its absolute basics, if the EU say '€50bn or there's no deal' (which they might well), then there's no deal, despite the fact that Mrs May is entirely sincere in wanting a good relationship with the EU27.

In that case, she'd have no choice but to blame the foreigners - which would be fair enough in that scenario - and Phil Hammond would have no choice but to try to mitigate the economic damage by extremely business-friendly policies and cuts to public spending.

This is the logic of the Brexit vote and the (possible) EU response to it. It's not a threat created by the PM, it's not what she wants, but it's what we might get if the EU27 are stupid enough to overplay their hand as drastically as they seem to be intending.
    Firstly May will not agree €50 billion but she will agree €10bn+ for bilateral agreements. Secondly beyond cutting corporation tax May and Hammond will not cut tax significantly even if no deal and as for spending cuts Hammond has effectively abandoned the spending target of just 35% of GDP Osborne had set even before Brexit, Brexit has if anything lessened austerity not sped it up
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    calum said:

I would've thought, if anything, the Scottish Greens might get squeezed by the SNP -- independence supporters feeling more fired up and wanting to give more power to Nicola's elbow?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

calum said:

It's not clear that the Scottish Greens' growing reputation as the SNPs' little helpers is entirely helpful in the longer term...
    Not clear how many Unionist transfers they'll get.....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

calum said:

Unlike the Tories 2007-2011 they at least got some concessions for voting through the SNP budget
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Danny565 said:

calum said:

I would've thought, if anything, the Scottish Greens might get squeezed by the SNP -- independence supporters feeling more fired up and wanting to give more power to Nicola's elbow?
    But then they pickup STV transfers do they not?
  • Options
    steve hawkes‏ @steve_hawkes

PM - without headscarf - touches down in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
  • Options
    Open Britain launches campaign to keep immigration above 100k a year
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Open_Britain/status/849220107234684928
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

Unlike the Tories 2007-2011 they at least got some concessions for voting through the SNP budget

Patrick got a pat on the head from Nicola
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Firstly May will not agree €50 billion but she will agree €10bn+ for bilateral agreements. Secondly beyond cutting corporation tax May and Hammond will not cut tax significantly even if no deal and as for spending cuts Hammond has effectively abandoned the spending target of just 35% of GDP Osborne had set even before Brexit, Brexit has if anything lessened austerity not sped it up

€10bn might be doable, I agree. However, what evidence is there that our EU friends would be willing to drop over 80% of their initial figure? In addition, we're not going to agree any sum at all until we know that they are going to offer a reasonable trade deal - why would we fork out €10bn for nothing in return? So that means they'll also have to drop their completely bonkers insistence that we agree the outlines of the exit deal first.

The ball is in their court. On an extremely optimistic reading of Donald Tusk's guidelines, you can just about convince yourself that they will be flexible, but it would be brave, or foolhardy, to assume that it will work out like that - and get ratified by the EU parliament and all the other players.
  • Options
    Better news for Christians from McDonald's which over Lent is launching a new fast food menu for Orthodox Christians
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/849219835041075200
  • Options
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

€10bn might be doable, I agree. However, what evidence is there that our EU friends would be willing to drop over 80% of their initial figure? In addition, we're not going to agree any sum at all until we know that they are going to offer a reasonable trade deal - why would we fork out €10bn for nothing in return? So that means they'll also have to drop their completely bonkers insistence that we agree the outlines of the exit deal first.

The ball is in their court. On an extremely optimistic reading of Donald Tusk's guidelines, you can just about convince yourself that they will be flexible, but it would be brave, or foolhardy, to assume that it will work out like that - and get ratified by the EU parliament and all the other players.
    There will be no membership of the single market and certainly no free trade deal in 2 years I agree but I think some bilateral agreements in a few key areas like financial services and the car industry is possible with the sum payable to be haggled over, the rest of the economy goes to WTO terms
  • Options
    calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

Yep, an SNP-Green coalition would suit me fine.

However the PB Yoonetariat's arcane psephology informs me that the EssEnnPee need 50+% of the vote to even think about a second indy referendum, so having to cancel Indy Ref II would be a disappointment.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

Not sure why people would vote for a party that broke their manifesto commitments, but there you go.. :D
    I'm sure you were going to cancel your PB Tory membership until Hammond did a reverse reverse ferret over the NI increases. Thank goodness that crise de conscience was averted.
  • Options

RobD said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

I'm sure you were going to cancel your PB Tory membership until Hammond did a reverse reverse ferret over the NI increases. Thank goodness that crise de conscience was averted.
    PB Tory is a life membership, I'm afraid. Still, the point stands!
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    I don't know how voodoo the poll by Scan Research and Le Terrain is that shows Mélenchon on 19.5%, behind Macron on 24.5% and Le Pen on 24%. In the second round it gives Macron > Mélenchon > Fillon > Le Pen. Data gathered by telephone, 23-27 March.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Cyan, that does look a bit... unexpected.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

As we can see from the transformation of Cameroonian pom pom girls into Brexitty, Trumpy, alt right roasters, nothing is for life.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

Has the same point about membership of the single market officially been declared remoaner non grata?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Scott_P said:

calum said:

I think the Greens are a bit better at politics than many of the pundits and folks on this site realise. Even before becoming the SNP's little helpers they were pushing the LibDems into 5th place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_local_elections,_2017
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Been away for a while because my account just stopped working – hence the slightly tweaked user name. It seems the Hard Brexiteer/Ukip brigade have graduated from Gibraltarian war mongering to Islamic Easter eggs in my absence. Truth is truly stranger than fiction.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Ishmael_Z said:

Idiotic comment.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

I don't know how voodoo the poll by Scan Research and Le Terrain is that shows Mélenchon on 19.5%, behind Macron on 24.5% and Le Pen on 24%. In the second round it gives Macron > Mélenchon > Fillon > Le Pen. Data gathered by telephone, 23-27 March.

Well the more recent polls by Ifop and OpinionWay yesterday had Fillon in 3rd so sounds pretty voodoo to me
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Bobajob, welcome back.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Been away for a while because my account just stopped working – hence the slightly tweaked user name. It seems the Hard Brexiteer/Ukip brigade have graduated from Gibraltarian war mongering to Islamic Easter eggs in my absence. Truth is truly stranger than fiction.

There is a 'forgot password' button which you can use to reset it, if that is the issue.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    I think much of the mainstream commentariat and what could be termed metro smarties are completely tone deaf to the appeal of Tessy. It is so far off their radar that they are not even aware they are missing it.. Much as righties miss what Momemtum types get from Jezza.

Things like EasterEggGate while appearing a little silly, even risible to these people, is in my view an absolute bullseye with much of provincial and rural England. Those who feel their culture and identity has been gradually pushed to the periphery and the subject of relentless mockery (radio 4 comedies anyone?) now have someone who is prepared unapolegetically to stand up and publically call such attitudes out. Cameron etc could never convincingly pull this off. May can. It may be cynical or it may be genuine. But in my opinion it is a phenominal dog whistle which is working.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

Has the same point about membership of the single market officially been declared remoaner non grata?
    Weren't you just saying that we weren't going to be leaving the single market? :p
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Cyan said:

The pleasing part about their work is that Melenchon wallops Le Pen in the second round. I'm not sure if the 80-1 with SportingBet is still available but it is an essential part of one's French portfolio.
  • Options
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

There is a 'forgot password' button which you can use to reset it, if that is the issue.
    Nope. Not this time. Just stopped letting me post, full stop. I can still log into the old account but cannot use it.

Meanwhile, I cannot change my avatar on this new account!
  • Options

Mr. Bobajob, welcome back.

Thanks. Sorry for the weird avatar – I cannot change it.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

As we can see from the transformation of Cameroonian pom pom girls into Brexitty, Trumpy, alt right roasters, nothing is for life.
    Chortle. Their damascene conversion is indeed quite astounding.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

Nope. Not this time. Just stopped letting me post, full stop. I can still log into the old account but cannot use it.

Interesting, that profile still lists your role as 'member', so that implies you should be able to post. Did you try posting from politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussions ?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

Funny how often this happens to you...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Better news for Christians from McDonald's which over Lent is launching a new fast food menu for Orthodox Christians
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/849219835041075200

Have Christians have any 'bad' news?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

Yeah, my truck load of salt is on standby :smiley:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited April 2017

but I think some bilateral agreements in a few key areas like financial services and the car industry is possible

There's alot more to Britain than the finance and motor vehicle industries :E
    The EU has explicitly ruled out a sector by sector agreement anyway, which I think is correct.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

Most of the time it is user error – I just forget my login or scramble my user email deliberately to stop myself posting on here. This time, not. I can still log into the former account but I cannot post.
  • Options
    Cadbury, however, fails to address the questions as to why the word 'Easter' was dropped from the name of the event which in previous years was named the 'Cadbury Easter egg hunt'. It's believed that the event was renamed last year.

In its statement, National Trust pointed the finger at Cadbury: "As part of its wider marketing activity at Easter, Cadbury will always lead on the branding and wording for its campaigns."

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/cadbury-insists-easter-part-its-marketing-airbrush-claims/

It was the teeth-rotting diabetes inducing American multinational wot dun it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

Interesting, that profile still lists your role as 'member', so that implies you should be able to post. Did you try posting from politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussions ?
    I have tried it several times over the last few weeks. If it can somehow be unlocked I would prefer to go back to that login.
  • Options

Indeed. There's also one today in Le Monde (by Cevipof, part of Sciences Po, "realised" by Ipsos-Sopra Steria) based on data from 14300 respondents, giving

Le Pen 25%
    Macron 25%
    Fillon 17.5%
    Mélenchon 15%
    Hamon 10%
    Dupont-Aignan 4%

I'm not sure that the full details have been published online except behind a paywall.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

I have tried it several times over the last few weeks. If it can somehow be unlocked I would prefer to go back to that login.
    You last tried it March 22nd apparently. Perhaps your account was banned at the time, and that has now expired?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

Yeah, my truck load of salt is on standby :smiley:
    As outlandish as it sounds it is nevertheless the truth.

Perhaps @PBModerator can clarify why...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

I think much of the mainstream commentariat and what could be termed metro smarties are completely tone deaf to the appeal of Tessy. It is so far off their radar that they are not even aware they are missing it.. Much as righties miss what Momemtum types get from Jezza.

Things like EasterEggGate while appearing a little silly, even risible to these people, is in my view an absolute bullseye with much of provincial and rural England. Those who feel their culture and identity has been gradually pushed to the periphery and the subject of relentless mockery (radio 4 comedies anyone?) now have someone who is prepared unapolegetically to stand up and publically call such attitudes out. Cameron etc could never convincingly pull this off. May can. It may be cynical or it may be genuine. But in my opinion it is a phenominal dog whistle which is working.

I think that may well be right, though personally I think Christianity is still pretty omnipresent in Britain. That said, Brexiteers should beware that they are being given tokens - supporting Easter eggs, endorsing blue passports - which may or may not be representative of more substantive policy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2017
    bobajobPB said:

The most IBM incompatible person ever known to man....what account number is this 994?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

I think you were banned. Again.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

I think there is an issue with Safari & privacy settings that can stop you logging in - but generally the vanillaforums route is more forgiving of browser idiosyncrasies
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

HYUFD said:

How about we stay in until the relevant budget cycle is complete and pay an additional €10bn per year? That gives time for the transitional talks and everything stays as it is except for our MEPs who depart in 2019 unless it is decided that they can depart instead on completion of the transitional date?

They get their money and we get time to negotiate rather than rushing into a brick wall.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I think that may well be right, though personally I think Christianity is still pretty omnipresent in Britain. That said, Brexiteers should beware that they are being given tokens - supporting Easter eggs, endorsing blue passports - which may or may not be representative of more substantive policy.
    The reporting is like a game to see who can say "Cadbury" most often.

I would imagine that most Christians in Britain don't even know what the Easter egg represents.
  • Options
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Global Britain meeting the offensive.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    Where the 147 UKIP council seats are located:

Kent: 17
    Lincs: 16
    Norfolk: 15
    Cambs: 12
    Hants: 10
    West Sussex: 10
    Essex: 9
    Suffolk: 9
    East Sussex: 7
    Bucks: 6
    Cornwall: 6
    Devon: 4
    Worcs: 4
    Gloucs: 3
    Northants: 3
    Somerset: 3
    Surrey: 3
    Isle of Wight: 2
    Leics: 2
    N Yorks: 2
    Staffs: 2
    Dorset: 1
    Wiltshire: 1
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    https://hypermind.com/hypermind/app.html?fwd=#welcome

Will Russian hackers interfere with the 2017 French presidential election?

Yes
    27%

No, or not sure
    73%

---

Hypermind are asking for trouble when it comes to settling that market.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyan said:

I would imagine that most Christians in Britain don't even know what the Easter egg represents.
    The deliciousness of cocoa combined with the faith of pagans. Similar to most other "Christian" holidays.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

malcolmg said:

Everything's going so well:

The views of frontline NHS workers will not be made public for at least two years after the Scottish Government confirmed the existing staff survey format has been scrapped. Results of the last staff questionnaire for 2016 were supposed to be published in December but no information regarding how beleaguered NHS staff feel about their working environment will be made available until January 2018 at the earliest.

The last staff survey published in December 2015 found that 46 per cent of the 60,681 workers who took part said they were unable to do their jobs properly because they were overworked.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/snp-accused-of-attempting-to-silence-nhs-staff-over-survey-1-4411141

Shows us the NHS England stats
    Show us the NHS Scotland stats........
    http://www.isdscotland.org/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Would be an interesting market to see how many of those Councils report 0 UKIP seats following the election. Wouldn't surprise me if it's half of them.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT while I completely disagree with @RichardNabavi about the rights and wrongs of the opening spats of negotiations, I completely agree with him about the likely political consequences of no deal. Indeed, it might well be what Theresa May means by "no deal is better than a bad deal". The political incentives for her to opt for no deal are strong.

Today's Sun front page makes it absolutely clear what the Tory Hard Brexit brigade's strategy is: wave the Union Jack and hope the plebs don't notice they have been totally shafted. It was ever thus. With Corbyn leading Labour it is a strategy that is likely to work. But at some stage the low wage, low job security, pared to the bones public services society the Tories have always wanted to create but have never had the guts to put in front of the electorate will come back to bite them spectacularly hard; and will almost inevitably lead to the break-up of the country that Tories claim to care about so much.

May and Hammond are actually economically left of Cameron and Osborne Scotland would still vote No in virtually every poll

Walking away from the Brexit talks without a deal and creating an offshore, low tax, low wage, low regulation state in which public services are pared to the bone would not be something that anyone to the left of Cameron or Osborne would do. If you are saying May's threats on this are empty, then she is clearly not a very good negotiator.

What a load of rubbish. As May's conference speech and comments today show she is no puppet of big business and indeed Osborne's plans to cut spending to just 35% have been effectively dropped by Hammond who announced a further big increase for social care in the Budget and maintained the commitment to NHS increases and more tax rises than cuts. Both May and Hammond have said they want a deal but even if they don't get one at most their will be a corporation tax cut
    Quite so. I've decided (fairly recently) that I would prefer a less economically dry form of Conservatism, and one that's more socially conservative, to the alternative. We have to build a nation that all feel they have a stake in.

The Brexit campaign helped me with that. It was an eye opener.
    Indeed and surprisingly even some Labour voters like Justin124 have said May is a more moderate Tory leader on the economic front at least
    I am not a Labour voter - or at least have only voted that way at one of the last six Parliamentary elections in my constituency.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    edited April 2017

Andy_JS said:

Would be an interesting market to see how many of those Councils report 0 UKIP seats following the election. Wouldn't surprise me if it's half of them.
    I think UKIP will struggle to win more than about 20 to 25 seats. Most of the seats they're defending have very small majorities, often in double or single figures. Most likely they'll take 2 to 3 seats in the top 7 councils listed above and lose everything else.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Also FPT, as one of the formerly undecideds that @isam mentions sceptically, it was precisely because I foresaw that the type of Leave that would be obtained would be dominated by loonies and reactionaries pandering to 1950s nostalgics that I opted for Remain. My fears have been abundantly borne out.

If that's true, then that suggests that - at heart - you also don't have much time for the EU, and you would have been theoretically open to a mature form of Leave that fitted more comfortably with your progressive values.
    ...which would have been more likely if so many people hadn't spent nine months trying to overturn the referendum result...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

The views of frontline NHS workers will not be made public for at least two years after the Scottish Government confirmed the existing staff survey format has been scrapped. Results of the last staff questionnaire for 2016 were supposed to be published in December but no information regarding how beleaguered NHS staff feel about their working environment will be made available until January 2018 at the earliest.

The last staff survey published in December 2015 found that 46 per cent of the 60,681 workers who took part said they were unable to do their jobs properly because they were overworked.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/snp-accused-of-attempting-to-silence-nhs-staff-over-survey-1-4411141

Not difficult, malc. https://www.england.nhs.uk/2017/03/staff-survey/

The England survey, published 4 weeks ago, shows that "... 80% of frontline NHS say they are able to do their job to a standard they are personally pleased with, 90% of staff say their job makes a difference for patients, and 92% of staff feel trusted to do their jobs."

As against the Scotland results "46 per cent of the 60,681 workers who took part said they were unable to do their jobs properly because they were overworked." Those are results for last year. I will take a wild guess and say that the 46% figure is significantly higher than that for the current year.
    So why are the English NHS staff always whinging and why is do we get crisis in NHS ad infinitum in the news. Sounds like porkies all round to me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Show us the NHS Scotland stats........
    http://www.isdscotland.org/
    Where?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

The England survey, published 4 weeks ago, shows that "... 80% of frontline NHS say they are able to do their job to a standard they are personally pleased with, 90% of staff say their job makes a difference for patients, and 92% of staff feel trusted to do their jobs."

As against the Scotland results "46 per cent of the 60,681 workers who took part said they were unable to do their jobs properly because they were overworked." Those are results for last year. I will take a wild guess and say that the 46% figure is significantly higher than that for the current year.
    So why are the English NHS staff always whinging and why is do we get crisis in NHS ad infinitum in the news. Sounds like porkies all round to me.
    Probably because some people in any industry always have something to moan about - and the media loves to highlight complaints more than contentedness.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

SLAB are just the Tories little helpers nowadays, they have no policies so just vote with the Tories unless they are voting same as SNP.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

The person telling porkies is you - the English stats have been published, the Scots suppressed.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

malcolmg said:

Probably because some people in any industry always have something to moan about - and the media loves to highlight complaints more than contentedness.
    And don't forget Labour constantly going on about X minutes to save the NHS, feeding the narrative.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Desperation setting in quickly
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Also FPT, as one of the formerly undecideds that @isam mentions sceptically, it was precisely because I foresaw that the type of Leave that would be obtained would be dominated by loonies and reactionaries pandering to 1950s nostalgics that I opted for Remain. My fears have been abundantly borne out.

If that's true, then that suggests that - at heart - you also don't have much time for the EU, and you would have been theoretically open to a mature form of Leave that fitted more comfortably with your progressive values.
    ...which would have been more likely if so many people hadn't spent nine months trying to overturn the referendum result...
    I'm not aware of anyone apart from the irrelevant AC Grayling who has been trying to overturn the result.

Most Remainers have either been seeking a soft Brexit to make the best of a bad job, a hard Brexit to respect the nature of the referendum, or, like me, have been waiting for the patient to sweat out the Eurosceptic virus.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

SLAB are just the Tories little helpers nowadays, they have no policies so just vote with the Tories unless they are voting same as SNP.
    As the SNP are in government, surely that is a given? How else would they vote?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT while I completely disagree with @RichardNabavi about the rights and wrongs of the opening spats of negotiations, I completely agree with him about the likely political consequences of no deal. Indeed, it might well be what Theresa May means by "no deal is better than a bad deal". The political incentives for her to opt for no deal are strong.

Today's Sun front page makes it absolutely clear what the Tory Hard Brexit brigade's strategy is: wave the Union Jack and hope the plebs don't notice they have been totally shafted. It was ever thus. With Corbyn leading Labour it is a strategy that is likely to work. But at some stage the low wage, low job security, pared to the bones public services society the Tories have always wanted to create but have never had the guts to put in front of the electorate will come back to bite them spectacularly hard; and will almost inevitably lead to the break-up of the country that Tories claim to care about so much.

May and Hammond are actually economically left of Cameron and Osborne Scotland would still vote No in virtually every poll

What a load of rubbish. As May's conference speech and comments today show she is no puppet of big business and indeed Osborne's plans to cut spending to just 35% have been effectively dropped by Hammond who announced a further big increase for social care in the Budget and maintained the commitment to NHS increases and more tax rises than cuts. Both May and Hammond have said they want a deal but even if they don't get one at most their will be a corporation tax cut
    Quite so. I've decided (fairly recently) that I would prefer a less economically dry form of Conservatism, and one that's more socially conservative, to the alternative. We have to build a nation that all feel they have a stake in.

Indeed and surprisingly even some Labour voters like Justin124 have said May is a more moderate Tory leader on the economic front at least
    I am not a Labour voter - or at least have only voted that way at one of the last six Parliamentary elections in my constituency.
    Well you are certainly not a Tory
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Love the new avatar!

Always wondered what you looked like in drag!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Cyan said:

Indeed. There's also one today in Le Monde (by Cevipof, part of Sciences Po, "realised" by Ipsos-Sopra Steria) based on data from 14300 respondents, giving

Le Pen 25%
    Macron 25%
    Fillon 17.5%
    Mélenchon 15%
    Hamon 10%
    Dupont-Aignan 4%

I'm not sure that the full details have been published online except behind a paywall.
    Is Dupont-Aignan more likely to take votes from Fillon or Le Pen?

Between that, and the fact that Hamon can be squeezed further still slightly, it could well end up that Melenchon beats Fillon. A humiliation for both the main governing and opposition parties at the same time must be almost unheard of in the west?
  • Options
    never trail blazers always imitating and behind the trend
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Nicola Sturgeon snubbed by Donald Trump: SNP leader to have 'frosty reception' in US visit

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786885/Nicola-Sturgeon-Donald-Trump-USA-visit-tartan-week
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

calum said:

calum said:

TGOHF said:

As the SNP are in government, surely that is a given? How else would they vote?
    Well perhaps if SNP proposed a policy to help the poor , Labour always claim they are for the poor, perhaps Labour would vote for the motion rather than with the nasties, but that is not what happens. The clowns even propose amendments and then vote against them.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

Love the new avatar!

Always wondered what you looked like in drag!
    Deflecting , you know of course it is the picture of yourself that you sent me on Valentine's day.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Cyan said:

Le Pen 25%
    Macron 25%
    Fillon 17.5%
    Mélenchon 15%
    Hamon 10%
    Dupont-Aignan 4%

Between that, and the fact that Hamon can be squeezed further still slightly, it could well end up that Melenchon beats Fillon. A humiliation for both the main governing and opposition parties at the same time must be almost unheard of in the west?
    DuPont Aignan is a watered down Le Pen and given Fillon's base is high turnout pensioners I think his 3rd place is secure
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Cyan said:

Le Pen 25%
    Macron 25%
    Fillon 17.5%
    Mélenchon 15%
    Hamon 10%
    Dupont-Aignan 4%

The Communists and Christian Democrats in Italy?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2017

Yes she is playing the "we were always sovereign but at times it didn't feel like it" card very well.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Cyan said:

There are Christian Easter Egg companies now emerging, this one has sold over 1 million Christian Eggs
    http://www.realeasteregg.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017

Cyan said:

The deliciousness of cocoa combined with the faith of pagans. Similar to most other "Christian" holidays.
    The thing for me is that culture does not equate to religion - but may heavily borrow from it. I am not a Christian but I am British and fully accept the Judeo / Christian nature of my cultural heritage. Christmas is for me all about trees/presents/over-eating/family/slobbing and zip to do with Jesus - but when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird. Christmas / Easter are part of my heritage whether or not I believe. I also fully accept that ALL Christian festivals are pagan ones at obvious points in the calendar that have been stolen by the God-botherers. I don't care. Hands off my Easter! (Which is all about bunnies/chocolate/eggs/daffodils and booze).
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Patrick said:

but when some PC knobber says 'Merry Winter Season' or somesuch to me I feel like flicking him the bird.

How often do you actually hear ANYONE say this or something similar?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

That's awesome. Sheffield's materials team are doing very well at the moment. This is exactly the sort of manufacturing we should be concentrating on developing, high quality, high technology, high skill and high value-add.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

???

It is not "Remainers" who are proposing to go to war with Spain or saying that the EU can stuff their bills and Hard Brexit is the only real Brexit.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2017
    My only comment (as a Christian) in this eggs-drama, is to wonder how many people have come to faith based on an egg-based promotion around Easter? I'm guessing it's not thousands.

Actually even eggs (even as you take them as a sign of the stone being rolled away in front of the tomb or of new life) have very little to do with the bible stories, or of Jesus' resurrection.

I'm far more fussed about keeping Jesus at the centre of Easter, or the freedom to celebrate Easter abroad, than I am about how the National Trust advertise their events and helping Cadburys with their marketing.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well you are certainly not a Tory
    But that is a different matter!
This discussion has been closed.